Above

inkdragon

Understandably Confused
@Opheliabee

The results were going to be announced live over the radio, which was ironic, as Boone was fairly certain his family was one of a very few to actually own one that still worked. If the Population Committee had really wanted everyone to be able to find out about the lottery results all at once, they could have called a general assembly in the town square, declared a day off work and made it mandatory for all citizens to attend. But some high-up official must have decided it was a bad move to gather a couple hundred hungry, angry people all together and tell them which of them had been chosen to die. Boone couldn't blame them. The radio it was. The rest of the city would find out the next day when they checked in at their work stations.

Sector B12 had been struggling for years now. The crops, grown under artificial UV lights, weren't producing nearly enough food to sustain a civilization of its magnitude. Rations had grown stricter and stricter, rules about reproduction had been implemented, and all citizens were working to their fullest capacity, but it still wasn't enough. A month ago, the Population Committee had reluctantly announced the lottery. It hadn't been anyone's first choice, they had explained to the cries of outrage the idea had been met with. No one had wanted to have to go this far. At some point, though, the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few. Population was simply too high, and there was no good solution on how to control it. The only fair answer was a random drawing. A lottery.

A sick, twisted, mockery of a lottery. Where the 'winners' would be banished from the safety of the underground city to meet what everyone knew was certain death on the surface.

B12 was one of the original haven cities set up by the United States government while World War III had still been raging. There had once been hundreds of them across the nation, but as years passed, the civilizations one by one began to drop off the grid. Sometimes it was a slow decline, a population starving to death, or dying due to disease or radiation sickness. Sometimes, the radios just went dead. It wasn't a mystery what had happened to those sectors. The radiation that scorched the planet had caused humans and animals alike to mutate into strange, twisted creatures that roamed the surface lands searching for food, scratching at the hatches that led to the Underground. There had never been a breach near B12. Boone's city was lucky enough to get a slower end.

It was awful, how preventable this all was, Boone reflected as he fiddled with the short-wave radio in his father's study. The cities had been surviving, when they had been working together. They had started as a large network, relying on each other for news and specialized supplies. Fear had led to mistrust, though, and mistrust to anger. Now, the sectors were closed off, each its own tiny tomb waiting to happen. Communication was minimal, and trade nonexistent. It was better than outright warfare, but not by much.

The representative from the Population Committee was going on about the history of the Sector, its values and morals, how grateful the city was to those heroic individuals about to be selected for their noble sacrifice... Boone wasn't really listening. He didn't think he'd heard a less sincere speech in his life, and as the Governor's son, he'd sat in on nearly every government meeting for the past few years. He looked up at footsteps behind him, making room on the couch for his father to sit beside him. Neither of them wanted to be there, but his father had a responsibility to bear witness to the city, through it's successes and its failings alike, and Boone had a responsibility to his father. "Hey, Dad." He tried to ignore the worry in his father's eyes.

Boone knew his father had done all he could to keep his name out of the lottery, but it was impossible to swing that level of special treatment, even for the Governor himself. Still, Boone was young and fit and educated, and because of those factors had his name entered only once, as compared to the elderly and the sick, whose names could be entered up to twenty times. The chances of him being selected were so small they were almost insignificant. Boone had told his dad as much time and time again, but it hadn't done much good before and he highly doubted it would now.

The announcer read the first name. "River Mattheson. Thank you for your sacrifice."

The lottery had begun.

Her brothers were arguing again. This had become an everyday thing since Caelum had become the community's leader. Delphinus and Orion were constantly criticizing his decisions. Andromeda would often leave the area when they began, but today she was interested. Orion, the youngest of the bunch, and his friends had noticed a city dweller wandering near their settlement.

"Are you sure it was a city dweller?" Asked Caelum, arms crossed in a dominant stance.
"He had a jacket with a city logo on the back, Sector B12," replied Orion, fascinated by his sighting.
"We should relocate, there could be more of them coming," said Delphinus in a commanding tone.
"No, we are going to look for him," Caelum looked at the reactions of his younger siblings, "we will capture him, then force him to answer our questions,"

Andromeda left the room as the yelling began. The sun was beginning to set. She climbed to the top of the crumbling tower in which they resided. Members of the community were gathering up their children and bringing them inside. Caelum set a curfew when he became the leader, no one was to be outside after sundown. She sat atop the building and watched everyone return to the safety of the tower. Dirty kids begged for more playtime as their mothers dragged them inside, a group of hunters pulled that night's dinner through the cracked ground, and the scavengers came back with bags upon bags of scrap. She headed inside as the last rays of sunshine vanished, it was going to be a long night.

Everyone sat around the heater during dinnertime. Delphinus had built small power sources to power simple appliances, they were to only be used at night. Small lights gave the room an orange glow. Young kids surrounded the elders and asked for stories of the past. Dhimitrios, the oldest man in the community, laughed at the children's curiosity. His laugh was warm and strong, it filled the room with merriment.

"So you want to hear of the past, eh?" Asked Dhimitrios, setting a young child on his leg. Dhimitrios was somewhere in his late 80s, how he was still alive was anyone's guess.
Everyone gathered around him, except Andromeda. Dhimitrios' stories were nothing but fantasy and the last thing she needed was a head full of ideas.

When the war ended, people who had not been able to afford the fee to live in the cities, including Andromeda's grandparents, took others under their wing and created small communities. Over the years some communities became hostile, those who lived in areas with high levels of radiation eventually lost their minds, turning into zombie-like monsters. Most communities had turned to stealing and violence in order to stay alive, living near other communities had become a risk.
Other people weren't the only risk, mutated animals and plants roamed the land, killing almost everything in their path. It had come to the point that if you didn't know how to defend yourself, you were screwed.

Andromeda went up to the room she shared with her brothers. Four cots with old blankets and pillows lined the room. Her cot was by a grimy window. The world was dark and empty, then, a flash. She blinked. There was a speck of light in a nearby building. She had to tell Caelum.

Boone checked the clip on his backpack for the second time. He knew he was putting off the inevitable, logically, he knew that, but even as he packed the one bag he was allowed to take with him, it didn't seem real. His name had been called in the second round of the lottery. He was leaving. Had until the first of the next month, actually, but every day he stayed was more torturous than the last. Sometimes the anticipation hurt more than the blow itself, and he had already waited two weeks as the first wave of people had departed. He wasn't waiting another two so he could be kicked out, no, he would leave under his own power. Once more, Boone found himself checking his pack, the slight trembling of his hands the only clue to how scared he truly was.

"You don't have to do this, you know," he heard from behind him. His dad. Boone stood, shouldering his pack with a sigh as his dad continued. "Let me pull some strings. If they really need someone from the Governor's family, I'll take your place, you know I will." It wasn't anything Boone hadn't heard before, but each time he did, it hurt the same. Thane Montgomery had been reduced from a proud, confident man to the kind of man who offered ideas they both knew were impossible as he begged for his son's life.

"Dad, you can't." Boone kept his face perfectly calm. Showing any anger or grief or heaven forbid, fear over his situation would only make things worse for his dad. The reckless offer to take Boone's place came from guilt, he knew. The Population Committee had made the decree to hold the lottery, but Thane had approved it. He had signed the paper that now condemned his own son to death, and he couldn't take it back. "You're Governor. You can't leave. I- I'll be fine." It was a lie and they both knew it, but it was a necessary one, for both their sakes. "I'm sorry, but you can't protect me from this. Fair is fair. In my case, I had more than my fair share of a shot to stay. Luck wasn't on my side, is all." He needed to keep telling himself that. He needed to stay calm, or he wouldn't be able to do what he needed to do. And fair was fair. After a lifetime of luxury, Boone was finally getting the short end of the stick.

"I love you, Dad," he said quietly. They didn't really have that sort of relationship, where they would say it aloud, but he had to make sure his father knew before he left. "This isn't your fault. It's just luck."

Thane suddenly pulled Boone into a tight hug, squeezing him close like he was never going to let go. "Just luck," he repeated bitterly, his voice shaking. He pulled back to arm's length to look at Boone with watery eyes. "Be safe out there, son," he said with a finality that made something in Boone's chest constrict painfully. "And- and take this." From his jacket pocket, Thane drew a silver ring on a thin chain. "It was your mother's," he said, pressing it into Boone's hand. "I-I don't know what else I can do, but she would want you to have it."

It struck Boone that this was probably the first time in a long time that his father had felt helpless. As Governor, he could make the world do as pleased, or at least his own little section of it. For once, Thane Montgomery was as powerless as everyone else after the End. "Thank you, Dad," he said, his voice hollow. "I know how much this means."

Thane nodded tightly, pulling Boone in one last time for another hug before stepping back. "Go," he said, biting the word out like it was something foul. "Before I change my mind and don't let you." He forced a chuckle, but the smile didn't reach his eyes.

"I'll be alright," Boone lied again, managing to smile for his father's sake. "Don't worry about me. Get the sector through this. If anyone can, it's you." He nodded, fighting down his own tears. There was so much left unsaid, but he couldn't find any more words to say it. "I love you. I'll be okay." And with that, Boone turned and jogged from the gates of B12, not looking back. He ran faster and faster into the underground tunnels, pushing his body until his lungs burned as badly as his eyes and he couldn't tell if the world was blurred from speed or from tears.

She ran to her brother's so called office. It was more of a closet with a desk and some sheet metal for a door. The makeshift door was closed and Caelum was arguing with someone inside. Delphinus.

"The hunters saw a group of city dwellers east of here, and the scavengers found fresh corpses with city IDs in the outskirts," Said Delphinus is his too-deep voice.
"We must be near a city," Caelum's voice turned sour, "why are city dwellers leaving their cities? We don't need those spoiled, useless people ruining things for us surface folks,"
"We have to find a live dweller, we need answers,"

Andromeda pushed the sheet metal aside and stepped in. There was barely any breathing room with all three of them squished into that closet.

"I think I know where we can find one,"

She led her brothers to their room. The speck of light was dimmer than before.

"We'll send a group down there first thing tomorrow," Said Caelum, fear spreading across his face.
"What? They could need help right now, city dwellers are not apt for the surface!" Cried Andromeda.
Caelum put a hand on her shoulder, "City dwellers left billions of people to die on the surface because they couldn't pay the entrance fee, I'm not going to put my people in danger in order to help some rich kid, it's about time they felt our suffering."
"I.... I thought our community was about helping out...." whispered Andromeda, droopy eyes looking at the broken tiles beneath her feet.
"Helping those in need, city dwellers could use some toughening up," replied Caelum before storming out with Delphinus, who was at a loss for words.

Andromeda collapsed onto her bed and closed her eyes.

"Mom, dad, I hope you guys can hear me wherever you are. I know you two are busy watching over us, but for tonight could you please watch over whoever is in that building? And please knock some sense into Caelum. I miss you guys, why did I have to lose you?." Tears streamed down her cheeks, they always did when she spoke to her parents at night. She burrowed under her blankets and wept until the world faded into a dream.

Back