Naionality: American.
Job: Store Clerk.
Residence: Henderson, Nevada

Name: Donovan McCloud
Race: Chippeqouti
Nationality: Citizen of Quoti moved to United States
Job: Construction
Residence: Henderson, Nevada

It had been a long hot day in the sun. Donovan wiped his hands off on the front of his pants before he got into the little work car he had. It was ridiculously small for his 6'7" frame body. He was big boned and folk always asked if he played football in school. That was a question that he tried to avoid. He'd only moved here just a few years ago and he tried not to talk about his past. It was important to let them think he was just a plain construction worker with a simple family.

The care seemed to creek and groan as he sat down in it. Somehow that tiny car managed to get him from place to place. Almost crouched over the steering wheel he drove down to the local store. He didn't look like much else than just a very tall man. Perhaps the only feature that stood out was his eye color. Donovan besides tall and sturdy built, had naturally brown skin, deep brown hair and then violet eyes. They were all features that could be seen in humans. He managed to get by with saying as little as possible about his looks.

When he arrived at the store he got out and left his hard hat sitting on the passenger seat. Standing in front of the doorway he waited for the automatic doors to open before grabbing a basket for his groceries. The same clerk stood near the front. That guy seemed to work a lot of evenings from what Donovan had seen.

A little cheese, some bread, sandwich meat, and mustard had him ready for the next few days of lunches at work again. Making his way to the counter he placed the basket on the small rotating belt. "What's the news today... " Tilting his head to the side he tried to read the crooked name tag on the front of the clerk's shirt. "Josh."

Looking as bored and desinvolt as ever, Josh got up from the chair he nearly planted into the ground due to his large figure spending evenings on end tapping away on his phone while sitting comfortably on this blank white garden chair. He saluted his customer and answered: ''You know how it goes, not a whole lot happening here man.'' with a semi-interested smile on his face as he begun to flash the barcodes one by one.

Taking his sweet time, as he usually does, he couldn't help but notice how massive the man in front of him was. He started looking up at his huge customer and politely asked ''Damn man, sick guns, you played in the football team or something ?''.

Another odd detail the overweight clerk noticed on his rather athletic client was the color of his eyes which were a rather unique shade of purple.

Donovan was almost impatient feeling. How the clerk could take so long just to scan a few items he didn't know. Then he went on to ask all the annoying questions that everyone else had. As hard as Donovan had tried to get into watching football and understanding it he couldn't. Flashing the clerk a quick smile he shrugged. "Eh, that's what everyone says. I don't like football much."

While he watched the man begin to bag the groceries he noticed the excessive staring. Pulling his sunglasses back over his eyes he handed some cash to the man and collected his bags at the end of the counter while he waited for the change. "I'll see yah later man."

Thankfully it was still bright outside and he had plenty of excuse for wearing his sunglasses. He didn't like to have to wear them, but he liked people staring at his eyes less. Opening his car door he tossed his groceries on top the hard hat and grumbled to himself. "What is up with that guy? He stares every time I get to the counter."

Josh, still a bit puzzled by his latest encounter, decided to go back in his chair and asked himself out loud. ''The hell is with this guy's eyes ?''. He then got back to his daily activity of messing about on his phone but he deded to search up an answer to his question this time. He started searching around the internet to know if violet was a normal eye color but he quickly got sidetracked, as he usually those finding himself looking up the causes of eye color and the impact of D.N.A on our looks. After hours of getting lost in scientifical researches, he forgot what he was looking for to begin with.

He gave a glance at the time, it was already 23:30 and he could hear the sound of a car pulling up. It was Josh's co-worker and long time friend Skylar who was here to take the night shift. He saluted her, handed her the keys to the store and wished her a good night. He walked to his car and proceeded to drive home in the deadest of night.
''I hate how dark this place gets at night.'' He mumbled to himself. Being rather affraid of the dark, living in a small Nevadan town wasn't the best scenario but he had learnt to deal with it. He pulled up in his driveway, barely parked his car and went home.

Josh was a minimum wage worker so, to his greatest malfortune, he had to share his suburban house with his brother: Lance, who was, stunningly, lazier than him.
Lance was unemployed and he spent most of his time smoking drinking and playing video games in the living room.

Even though it was pretty late, Lance was still up watching tv. Josh said goodnight to his older brother who responded with an half-drunk, half-asleep insult Josh barely understood.

Climbed up the stairs and collapsed on his bed, Josh was already dreading the next day since it will be a very hard one.

Even harder than the other.

For the next 4 days Donovan avoided the store and he went to work like usual. There was a lot of cement mixing and working to do. It was mostly brainless unless someone wanted a specific consistency. Even then it had more to do with brawn than brains. While he liked the idea of having a job that used more brains it could be dangerous. He didn't like going to the gym because that was one place that made him especially obvious as not fitting in. So instead he worked a job that could explain his size and so far it worked out well. All of it worked just fine till he had someone that asked too many questions. Part of him started to wonder if this clerk would become a problem. It was the reason he had moved around as much as he had.

Thankfully it was the end of the week before Donovan had to go back to the store for anything. His misfortune happened to lay in the fact that the same clerk was there and this time the guy seemed to studying him again. Donovan was nearing the end of his patience. "What's up this man? I been coming here for over 3 weeks and yah stare every time."

Plopping his groceries on the counter he shook his head. It was sort of creepy to have someone stare at you like that. At the very least it was uncomfortable and Donovan didn't relish the idea of being stared at. "If you got a problem I can go to another store." At the very least he expected that the man would say something or back off. Usually it seemed to work fairly well. Folks didn't want to get into a tangle with a big man and Donovan liked that one part about being his size.

Josh got up from his chair ounce again, this time he looked down and answered to his customer with a tremble in his voice and a relatively sad expression on his face.
''Sorry man, i've just been a bit... absent recently, i..it won't happen again i swear.'' He then took a huge chug from a bottle of whiskey that he hid from under the table.
His expression suddenly changed and his sadness turned into bitter anger, but not pure wrath, the anger of a drunk and lost man wanting to take his frustration out on somebody, anybody.

He threw the bottle at the other end of the store and yelled ''You know what man. Fuck you and your stupid groceries you know what i don't care about what you think, i can stare at your freak self all i want, it's a free country man and im the bloody president!'' He stormed out of the shop grabbing a case of beer as well as all the money in the register. As he tried to pityfully storm out of the store he tripped and fell down, dropping to the ground a mear 200 dollars in cash and a beer casing.

Josh then begin to sob uncontrollably, yelling in the wind the name of his friend.''Skylar, you awful brat! I hate you, i hate you, i hate you, i hate you...''
As the cringe-worthy scene was going down a small box with a ring in it fell out of Josh's pocket.

The man felt broken.

To say that he was shocked would have been an understatement. This sort of behavior from a clerk was completely unnecessary. Donovan watched mildly as the man threw a bottle to the other end of the store in his fit. Really what bothered him most was the fact that the man called him a freak. Blinking a few times he watched the guy rob his own register and grab a beer case that was sitting at the edge of a display. Whatever drove the man to such insanity there was no particular sign. There were a lot of mind numbing jobs.

After a few moments Donovan carefully put his things back in their basket and then he started for the door. Picking the little box up off the floor he dropped it onto the sobbing heap. "Sometimes life sucks. I'm sure security footage won't help yah when the boss wonders what happened to his store." Stepping over the mess he shook his head and started for the doorway himself.

All doors going outside were labeled push if you were in a commercial building. It was fire regulation and he shook his head again. "Mebbe I'll see yah around another time." All that for a comment about staring seemed to be rather drastic in Donovan's mind. Humans were often far too emotional in their responses to disappointment. While he pretended to take the entire situation very lightly he was curious if this was about the staring or if it had to do with the one called Skylar. Were they the one that the ring was meant to entice into a relationship? A ring was so pitiful. Often you had to give more than that if you wanted to entice a woman to make a commitment to you.

Josh was resting on the cold hard ground, soaked in his own tears and the spilled beer form the broken bottles.
He took a break from his sobs to say the following to the customer who unwantedly made him lose it.''Listen man, im sorry, i just...i have some problems."
He struggled to lift his fat body back up to his feet adn followed with ''It's a small town here, i'd appreciate if you, you know, kept this all mess to yourself. Thanks.''

He saluted his customer before wobbling back into the store to put the money back in and change the security tapes.
He then sat on the pavement looking straight at his client who was starting to leave and said.

''You ever had that girl you liked in middle school but you were too scared to talk to her so you said you'll wait till high school to do it ? Then when highschool came around you said that you'd rather wait till college ? And you never asked her even in college ? He took a sip from one of the few remaining bottles and continued. ''(Sigh) Of course you didn't. You probably were the popular guy that girls wanted to ask out weren't you ? How did it feel to be the top guy that everyone wanted to be friend with ? That all the girls wanted to ask out for the prom ? Say, how did it feel to beat up the fat kid after school and make him look like more of an idiot than he already did ?''

He said all this with such spite and bitterness than it almost felt like the questions weren't rethorical.

The frown on Donovan's face deepened. This guy was still going off on a rant and he knew humans were compassionate at times, lazy, pitiful, and sometimes cruel. This didn't seem to be the time to be cruel. However, this guy on the floor was pitiful and try as he might Donovan couldn't muster any compassion for him. Rules were rules and you should be punished for such behavior.

There wasn't a whole lot he could do if the guy changed the security cameras. Since he was newer in town it wasn't a good idea to rattle the cage or start anything either. Donovan lifted one eyebrow and he shook his head. "Yah need to learn to pick yourself up eh? Life isn't always good and no I wasn't that guy. My school was very strict. No time to fight or pick on those with excess layers of fat in their bodies." Tilting his head to the side slightly he grimaced. "Are yah really gonna sit there and act like it isn't your fault?"

Shaking his head slightly he started for the doorway. "I'll be back some other time. Consider it yah second chance."

''Dude wait!'' Josh yelled.''I got one last thing to ask you.'' He reached into his pocket pulled out his phone and displayed a picture of a girl with long curly brown hair flowing down her face, a black and red top, some sight glasses and, most importantly, dark purple eyes.

''Did you ever see that girl before ?'' Putting his phone right in the rather annoyed customer's face. ''I mean there ain't many lads with purple eyes in town so i would think that umm... i don't know you two might be related or something.''

Josh took the opportunity to look into the eyes of man who was towering in front of him.''These eyes, it can't be another coincidence.'' He thought.

Donovan turned toward Josh and sighed. "What?" He couldn't help the irritated tone in his voice. He stared at the picture for a few moments and then shook his head. "She kinda looks like Elizabeth Taylor." It was the actor and famous person that he knew of who had violet eyes. Many of his people had blue, grey, hazel, gold, or green eyes. All of them were brilliant and bright, some had black hair, but they were all tall. In some ways it would have been easier to have been born with blue or green eyes. It was more common than violet with the human kind.

For the most part he tried not to answer. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to know the girl or not. After a moment he shrugged. "I don't know. Grew up in a foster home probably had a few siblings I didn't know about." Pushing on the door he almost walked out and then he glanced back. "I got a question for you. What the hell is up with your fascination with violet eyes? They happen and I could be wearing contacts for all you know or she could be. Don't think I haven't noticed you staring at my face."

''Surely'' Josh said with unhindered anger in his voice.
He then walked up to Donovan's face and said with a raspy and almost menacing voice the stupid tag line for the store he worked in ''Be back with the brightest smile!'' He then pointed towards the door with his hand.

Josh stared deep into his customer's eyes, provoking him.
He wanted to get a reaction, Donovan was understandably getting annoyed and Josh wanted to push him over the edge, he wanted to make him angry.
Almost as if he wanted to test him, to test his patience, to test his strenght of mind.

He stared deeper and deeper doing the one thing he knew for sure will annoy his customer.
Josh and a smurk of confidence on his face.He knew what he was doing and why he was doing it.
He wanted to prove something.

This man had no sense of decency! Donovan stared at him for a long moment and then narrowed his eyes. "I don't have time for this. You're just a little creep." Shaking his head he pushed the door open the rest of the way and wandered toward his car. He was trying to think of what humans did to show their immense displeasure with one another. Even after a few years he was still trying to understand all the nuances of their language.

Turning toward the man still giving him that threatening glare he threw his middle finger into the air. "Only the brightest smile for you!" Donovan was entirely irritated and he got into his car to drive off. He wasn't planning on coming back. That guy was off his rocker and he was digging around for information that he shouldn't be. This was not something that he welcomed. In fact it was becoming tempting to just send a note to the man's boss. This sort of behavior was not normal nor was it acceptable even for a human.

Instead of making a rash choice he went to work and asked a few questions about the guy at the store. Some of the other fellows had spoken to him before and Donovan wanted to get a general opinion before he took any kind of action.

Josh was then left alone looking like an idiot staring out at the darkness.
The store's dim led lights contrasting with the deadly darkness from outside. The pure silence was broken by nothing else than the sound of the neons outside blinkig on and off. The sense of unhease in the athmosphere made Josh very paranoiac and anerved.
He just sat in quiteness looking up from his phone to check if something was in the incredibly dark doorway ounce every 30 secounds.

Eventually the 23:30 mark hits and his ''friend'' Skylar pulles over and was ready to take on her shift.
Interraction beetween Josh and his childhood friend were tense to say the least ever since last week when an incident occured.
But Skylar always had that signature smile on her face that made Josh insanely angry.
He threw his keys on the counter and stormed out before Skylar could even say a word.

He got in his car and drove away.
Refusing to go back home weary that his brother might tease him for obvious reasons he decided to hit the road and spend the week-end in Vegas.
He was quite worried about coming back due to the new found reputation he had made himself.
And that borderline agression wasn't gonna help the case at all.

Last edited:
Donovan enjoyed a quiet weekend and an even more quiet store when he went back to it a few days later. Turned out he didn't have to say anything. From all his questions at the job the guys seemed to think that the one at the store was odd, but not really a trouble maker. It was enough to put Donovan at ease. For the most part the guys he worked with were pretty easy going. For the most part he avoided the store, but it was a small town and he couldn't stay away from the store forever. When the week finally started again he pulled up outside and parked his car.

The man slowly got out of his seat and then walked into the store. It was a lightening fast trip and he was to the counter in only a matter of a few minutes. The usual bread, cheese, sandwich meant and some milk plagued his little basket. Looking at the clerk he sighed. "Didn't say nothing. Asked a little about you. Seems it was an off night for yah." For the time he was calling this a pass, but Donovan didn't want to be confronted about his looks ever again.

"I'm just a guy trying to make a living. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't keep up this crazy stuff. I mind my business and you mind yours." When the food was done getting scanned he handed the cash over to the guy. Somehow he couldn't quite get the image of the flubbery body making a pathetic dash for the doorway with his mounds of cash that couldn't have even gotten him a week in a hotel and that lousy carton of beer. Taking the bag of groceries in one hand he started for the doorway of the store about time a bunch of drunk trouble makers showed up. Quietly he tried to make his way to his car and just ignore the group. Instead one of them pulled out a baseball bat and started for the store.

Letting out a sigh he walked over to the kid and grabbed him by the arm while his other hand reached for the baseball bat. "Hey! You don't wanna work for your money then don't bother taking it from folks that do." While he was busy talking to the kid another one pulled a gun and shot him. The bullet dove under the skin, but it didn't have any effect against his bones. Instead it flatted out and a small puddle of blood welled up around the wound in his arm. Donovan tilted his head to the side and tore the bat from the one boy's hand before throwing it several hundreds of yard out and charging after the boy with the gun.

Afetr hearing the gunshot Josh, being raised by a son of, a son of a cowboy, had the reflex of grabbing the gun the store had hidden hunder the counter before rushing outside.
He found Donovan standing high at a couple of kids who were looking pretty terrified. as the monster of a man was charging one of them.
Josh proceeded to shoot a couple of bullets in the air to calm the action down.

His look quickly panned to Donovan who was bleeding from a bullet sized wound in his arm.
Understandably worried he asked ''You okay there big guy ?"

In the distance he could see people calling the cops and he instantly felt like it was just the beginning of a very intense day.

A few more shots fired in the air and Donovan noticed the kids were definitely running off. There was no need to pursue them. As he was left standing alone, besides the clerk he realized that he wasn't sure how humans were supposed to react to being shot. Sometimes in the news you read about folks saying that adrenaline kicked in and they didn't feel anything till it was over.

Not knowing anyone that had personally been shot he was reluctant to describe the pain. Instead he shook his head at the clerk. "Nah, I don't know." Walking over to his car he squinted his eyes shut and took a sharp breath. They were all things he saw others do when they were experiencing severe pain. It certainly hurt to get shot, but it wasn't quite as severe as Donovan supposed it should have been. After a few moments he grabbed his arm and remained with his back to everyone else. He just wanted to leave, but he knew there would be an ambulance and police. They were all going to want to see the video feed from the store, his statement and this shop keepers statement.

The shop keeper was where it all got dangerous. There was no telling how much he'd seen or what he would say to the police.

Josh noticed how confused Donovan was.
He invited him to come into the store. ''Well don't just stand there bleeding out! I have a med cabinet in the store, should have what it takes to stop the bleeding.''

On the other side of the street Josh could see an old man trying to call the Police. Worried that the situation might get worst, which he surely didn't wanted, he yelled at the man ''Dude! Drop the phone we're good! Just a couple of thugs tryna cause trouble, it's all good old man i got this.''

The man reluctantly deopped the phone and went back into his house. Small town folks want to avoid trouble he knew he could avoid conflict by taking matters into his own hands and the first step was to get Donovan in the store and fix him up to see if he needed to call the meds or not.
This town was enough of a dirtpile and it couldn't afford having the one store in town being under lockdown, especially for nothing but a bunch of stupid teens looking for a quick buck.

Back