Flames From the Past (1x1)

Niel gazed at Monica a little then looks to the Devil. "Usually with the soldiers, I provoke their fear, put them in the very situations they dread. Once there, I force them to respond, force them to fight, to move." He rubs his face a little and sighs.

"I make myself the enemy. I force them to fight as if their life depends on it. After a session, the soldier is monitored very carefully. " He shakes his head. "It's only worked once though...all others took their own lives. I stopped the program after that." He glances to Monica then back to the men.

"To force a fear situation with her, one of you would have to fight with her. Force her to respond despite her fear."

He gets up and starts pacing a little. "I don't like the idea of doing this at all to be honest."

The devil leaned back, "What do you think, Monica? Wanna know what Hell is like yet?" His gaze held something that was stated he knew how to do this in way that would keep them all safe and even make them stronger.

Monica stared at all three men. Was she really ready to face hell? Did she really have a choice?

She had to deal with her fear now.

Taking a breath, she nods. "Yes , I want to know."

Niel sighs a little, he wasn't so sure about this plan but then again they weren't human were they? He really hoped this worked.

Lucius smirked lightly as he stood then moved towards them, "Alright then. Gather around field trip time," Where they were going most only saw once and that was at the end of their lives in the world of the living, "One trip to Hell coming right up."

Dustin rubbed the back of his neck and stepped back, "I'm not sure this is a good idea for me to do."

"Don't be a pussy boy. It'll either kill you or make you stronger." Lucius states, "You're coming to Niel."

Monica nods slightly and went to stand by her father. She was nervous but she was also determined.

Niel blinks a bit and looks at the devil. Then he shakes his head. "I'll keep an eye on things here. I've had a taste of hell and rather prolong my next visit as long as possible. " He smiled a bit.

The devil laughed, "Oh you thought I was asking. How cute..." He glanced at Monica and smiled, "It's your suggestion so you get to supervise it. I would hate to put my child through hell and not have a viable out come. Also I'm not good with the comforting thing and the angel will be busy trying not to die. On top of that. Kiki will keep an eye on things here."

In a flash of moment a sensation like fire wrapping itself around them would appear only to vanish as they would find themselves standing in a dark room lit only by a few sparely spaced candle containing a soft blue flame. It looked like a vanity room where many women had once sat before the cracked glass mirrors and dolled themselves up. A couple of people sat before the mirrors staring at their reflections. Lucius lead Monica over to one of the mirrors and sat her down, "Don't look at the eyes of your reflection till you are ready. Once you do there is not much I can do to stop what will happen. You have to master your mind before you are trapped here forever. Two days. That is all the time you have."

Stepping away he pointed to a door to the left, "Dustin what you need lays through that doorway," His gaze shifted to Niel then, "You merely have to keep track of time," He held out a watch of gold with a simple rose on the face.

Monica nods as she was lead to the mirror and given the instructions. She truly hoped she was ready for this. Letting her breathing calm and her body relax she got herself as ready as she could before looking.

Niel glances around slightly but nods an accepts the watch. "Alright..." He knew it sounded easy but was aware that nothing in hell was that easy.

The devil watched the girl before the mirror for some time before he turned his attention back to Niel, "To be honest there are fewer beings I can trust in this world. This is as much a test of your worth as it is of his. For her sake. Had I found her earlier she wouldn't have the scars on her soul that she bares. She would be the wild flower her mother was," His eyes were soft and sad, "I'll be out getting you a charm to protect you from our influence. We can't have you falling into a trap or worse falling under our wills," With that he moved away to the door. The Devil likely wouldn't be gone long.

Niel nods a bit at the words. He understood this task wasn't meant to be taken lightly. He just hoped he could do what was needed of him. He didn't want to fail.

Monica had allowed herself to finally look into the mirror and meet the eyes of her reflection. The response was almost instant.

Lucius was gone only for a few moments it would seem as he returned with a small pendent. It was a dark amethyst surrounded in gold. He held it out to the human as he glanced over at Monica. He could tell she was in the mirror's grasp. Only what she feared the most would appear. She had to come to reason with it and bend it to her will.

Niel nods in appreciation and accepts the pendant. His gaze followed the father's to Monica who sat quietly facing the mirror.

Monica felt as if she had been thrown into a room. Her room, her old room to be exact. It all looked the same but on the bed was the younger version of herself. The young her woke suddenly and got out of her bed and headed down stairs.

Monica followed quietly as the girl went to the kitchen where her mother was up and making coffee it smelled like.

Her father walked in as well and both turned to look at the girl who suddenly became covered in dark flames. They filled the room instantly and before any could react, the house was covered.

The vision disappears and soon Monica stood facing her younger self. The girl glared at Monica.

"Why are you so weak? You should have stopped it! You killed them! You killed all of them!"

Monica shakes her head slightly. "No...it was an accident....." her body was trembling.

"I feel bad letting her do this but I have to agree with your method. We all have our demons to face and many times they are ourselves." The devil murmured gently. No one would know what she was seeing, feeling or thinking.

Neil nods slightly. "She's stronger than she realizes....she has to see it."

Monica was trembling. The girl still shouting at her. "Its your fault! You are a killer!" The girl circled around Monica, the black flames appearing about the little girl's form.

"You'll kill them too. All your friends. You'll burn them all to death."

Monica had become pale and was shaking her head. "No...no it was an accident. I didnt...".

She looks down at the bracelets suddenly. A strange calmness came over her as she stared at them. "I didn't do it..." She moves her hands slightly and looks to the girl. "We were asleep. We were dreaming. It wasn't dinner time. It was the middle of the night."

The girl shakes her head. "You killed them!"

Monica nods with tears in her eyes. "Yes...i did kill them but it wasn't me. I wasn't in control." The silent tears fell quietly. "Someone provoked it...wanted me to kill.."

She waves her hand, letting the girl fade away. "Come out come out boogie man." She whispers.

Darkness soon filled her mind, that cold laughter spin following. "So the young one has figured it out."

The form stood before her. She couldn't see a smile but she knew he was smirking. "You should always fear the boogie man." He lunges forward suddenly at her.

Fear slammed in her chest and she huddled down close to the ground. The darkness encasing her. "Let go of your control, destroy again. You know you enjoyed it. Loved it!"

She shakes her head and stayed huddled up as the darkness stayed wrapped around her. "No..."

With a wave of his hand the devil changed his domain to form a table and two chairs for the pair to sit at. An imp came fluttering in with a crystal bottle and matching tumblers. Inside the bottle was a amber liquid, "We may have some time to wait," He told the male as he took a seat. The imp placed the items on the table then vanished in a poof of smoke.

Noel sits down with him as he watches Monica. He was concerned. He knew what he often put the soldiers through and could only imagine what she was facing alone.

The boogie man image continued to bagger at her as she laid huddled on the ground.

Slowly in the repeating of his words though, she thought back. It wasn't her fault. He provoked it. She was always in control. She couldn't stop the flames but she didn't let any in the house suffer. She made sure it was quick when she lost control.

She lifts her head and the boogie man froze. "I'm not afraid of myself anymore. I'm not afraid of you. " she moves to her feet. She was exhausted and so very tired but she looks to the boogie man calmly. "You can't have my fear, my power or my father's throne. You don't deserve it." Her voice steady. "You are just a man hiding in shadow. You are nothing without fear. You are nothing."

The boogie man vision became angry and ran at her but this time she stood her ground and as he reached her, the darkness disappeared.

She closes her eyes and opens them again. She was staring at the mirror again, she slumps a little in the chair. Her body trembling from exhaustion.

The Devil pour each a drink or so it seemed setting the one that would have been his on the table he stood. The tell tell difference in her breathing and heart beat told him she was returning to them. It made him proud as a peacock as she blinked and stared at the mirror for a moment. Her eyes were clear which told him she wasn't able to enter that realm through this mirror again. He conjured a dark blue satin blanket and draped it over her shoulders before picking her up with ease, "You did well, my little one," He told her as he walked over to the chair he had just abandoned and sat her in it before handing her the tumbler of brandy, "Drink this slowly and relax."

There was a clear expression of happiness and relief on his face as he stood and conjured another tumbler for himself and poured some of the amber liquid into it. He sipped it slightly and gave a sigh. His fear wasn't there any more. He wouldn't be loosing his only child to another.

She didn't flinch as she normally would have and let the tension ease from her body as he picked her up. His words ringing in her ears.

She had done it. She was out of the mirror.

As he sat her in the chair, she accepted the glass from him and sipped gently on it. She let the liquid slide down her throat and the trembling slowly eased from her body the rest of the way.

Niel was monitoring her behavior carefully. Rest was defiantly something she would need but it was her eyes that drew his attention the most. They were brighter and the color had changed ever so slightly but enough thst he had noticed it. They would have to see how she does in the next few days because he wasn't sure how it worked here but when he did it with his soldiers some of them changed in behavior. If anything she looked more determined. It made him wonder what had she faced?

He called forth another chair so he could sit as well, "Whatever happened in that realm you have no need to speak of it," He stated, "Unless you feel you want to."

Niel nods in agreement at what the devil said. Forcing her to talk wouldn't do any good.

Monica shakes her head a little, taking another sip from the glass. "Boogie man needs to be dealt with. There is someone helping him though." She looks at Niel a moment then to her father. "You were right about what he wants. "

The Devil nodded, "If figured I was more than correct," He closed his eyes, "I will keep an ear open to see what I can find as to who might have been helping him."

Back