Flames From the Past (1x1)

Monica gazed at Dustin, realizing for the first time that Dustin felt that way. She supposed she could understand about getting bored...her own life had been on that path in a way for the past few years. Though the idea of a battle scared her ,it did bring to light many things from her life but also it brought her to her father and to Dustin. She was grateful for the good in this all. Slowly the rest of the tension eased from her body and she was able to relax further. "I know you said not to thank you but I do have much to be grateful for and bumping into you that day started it all." She smiles to him.

Niel had finished making up some eggs and bacon. He knew that it was Monica's favorite. He made extra food and even got some sausages made. He brought a plate to Monica and nods to her before stepping away again, back to the kitchen. She was just a kid in his eyes still. The idea of her in battle made him think back to the other young kids that would serve with him in the field. The ones he lost. No, this would be different.

A chair suddenly went through a wall of an abandoned house. It was thrown by none other than the boogie man. "How did the hold get broken?! She shouldn't know how!" The walls of the room was slick with ice from his anger. He was furious and the lowly demon that stood before him was shaking with fear. Another in the corner was silent as he watched his masters anger unfold.

The lowly demon spoke up, " they were seen in hell...at the mirrors..." Those words caused the boogie an to freeze in his anger. "The mirrors." He was silent a moment as he placed back and forth along the wall. So her daddy took her to the mirrors. That did indeed explain why he didn't feel her anymore. She would have faced him in there because there was no doubt in his mind that the girl would want answers.

That changed things, he needed to accelerate his plans then before that little group got stronger. "Tell the men to increase their efforts for collecting get fear. Kill any who get in the way. Begin the first attack on them. I don't want them getting comfortable. Break them. Break them all." He growled.

The demoted moved from the corner of the room and bowed his head, "Consider it done my Lord." He said before disappearing. The lowly demon bowed as well and disappeared from sight.

The boogie man looks to the cracks of the room that revealed the outside world. "Soon it will all be mine..."

Slowly the devil opened his eyes and gave a simple grin as he sat forward, "That idiot's getting desperate now," His ruby gaze looked down right pleased with the information. He took a gentle breath and stood, "I'll return later. For now. I need to teach a few traitors why it's a bad idea to piss me off."

With that he vanished.

Monica blinks as her father spoke and looks over to him curiously. Shebhad just finished eating the food that Niel had given her.

It didn't take much to figure out who he was speaking about. Boogie man. He was getting desperate? That was good though right? Yet she felt a slight unease at the idea.

She watches as he disappears then looks to Dustin. "He won't attack here do you think? " she asks.

Niel didn't like the idea of a desperate boogie man. That usually meant they did stupid things and sometimes those were the things that got the most dangerous. He looks to Dustin as well when Monica asked about an attack on the house. That would be a stupid thing for them to do but they were dealing with desperate.

Dustin couldn't help but give a slight shrug of his shoulders, "It's hard to tell most of the time but I'm willing to bet money that there aren't any drawn boundaries at this moment," Sitting forward he offers Monica a soft smile, "I am sure of this though. Attacking here would be a foul mistake. With so many creatures willing to stand in their way. Don't think little of those that you can't always see. The fey folk are dangerous in their own right after all you wouldn't have so many fairy tales without them."

As if to prove his point a flickering of gold and amber light came from the hearth across the room as around seven or so fire sprites floated from the grate and created a fire to warm the room. The tiny creatures then vanished from sight but the warmth they left lingered everywhere in the house.

Else where in the realm of existence the devil grinned manically as he tore his current opponent apart. The feel of blood on his hands was a heady feeling he had forgotten he enjoyed. He licked a few fingertips testing the taste to see if it would be to his liking. It could be worse he thought before he pushed energy around him and out to calm the frightened minds of the humans that lingered here and there. He didn't care much for someone taking his job of being that which humans feared. Hopefully he could draw the enemy to himself and not to his offspring.

Monica nods a bit at Dustin's words. Her eyes widen as the fire sprite created the fire. A warm smile touched her lips. "They are so beautiful." She murmurs.

Then she nods again to Dustin. "Then I guess leaving here would be a foolish thing to do." She says.

Niel eyes her slightly and nods a bit. "Yes, that means you stay put. Don't get any ideas either." He said.

Standing up Dustin smiled down at her, "They are enchanting but don't mistake them for being kind hearted dear. They will cause trouble when you aren't looking."

He was being playful as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss to her temple. Some part of Dustin was simply happy she was safe at the moment. The future could be a bleak place from time to time.

Monica nods a little at his words. Then smiles when he kissed her temple. "I will keep that in mind."

Niel nods and moves to his feet as well. "I' going to check the area around the house real quick. Being human I know there is not much I can do but I can at least stay alert. Dont need daddy mad at me again." He said teasingly before moving out the door.

Dustin gave a chuckle at that, "He's always pissed at someone. It's not you at the moment so be grateful," He moved to get something to drink while listening to the house. Something lingered in the air that he didn't know if he liked but none of the other creatures in the house seemed concerned with it.

Neil seemed to huff slightly as he went out the door. He could only hope he stayed out of that man's sight. He creeped him out then again he was the devil.

Monica sits quietly in the chair, looking out the nearby window. Then she looks to the bracelet that Dustin had given her. It was a beautiful thing and she was grateful for the effects it had on her powers.

She looks away and glances around. Why did something feel strange? There was no sign of anything and everyone else seemed okay. She turns her eyes to the fire and watches it flicker.

Lucius leaned against one of the pillars of the front porch as he gazed up at the dark sky. His gaze shifted over to the human that stepped out of the house, "Every one alright?"

Upon first glance one wouldn't have noticed the blood that covered his shoes and splattered his clothes and face. It didn't seem to bother him in the least but then again the devil had come to terms with his own demons long ago. He gave a soft sigh as he relaxed and gazed out into the darkness. The street was completely dark not a single light burned save for the one from their house. The Devil had cast a spell in a ploy to gain some time and understanding from his enemy.

Dustin returned a little bit later and sat beside the fire in one of the large chairs. He was tired but refused to let it show and get the best of him.

Niel managed not to jump in surprise upon seeing the Devil on the porch. All of this strange stuff going on, he was glad he stopped doing drugs long ago.

He nods a bit. "So far sir." He said and looks around before looking back at the devil. Even his human nose had picked up on the blood that the male was coated in before he saw it. What a sight.

Monica looks over to Dustin curiously. "When's the last time you slept?" She asks suddenly.

Giving a nod he glanced to the door, "They should turn in soon then I can slip into your room for a quick shower. I don't want Monica seeing me like this so if you do go in don't tell her I'm here. Oh and they may feel something isn't quite right and that's because of the spell I've cast. It makes it to where those near here don't notice the house and even go out of their way to avoid it."

The trick had come in handy many times over. Even when someone knew what they were looking for it was difficult for an outsider to find the house.

Dustin glanced up at her then gave a slight shrug, "A day I think. Maybe more," He had lost track at some point but felt it would be fine none the less.

Niel arched a brow but he figured it would be wiser not to question the devil. He nods a bit. "I told them I was checking the perimeter. They both did look rather tired." He nods.

Monica shakes her head a bit. "You should get some sleep. As you said, all the creatures are here and will alert us if something goes wrong..." She says softly.

The devil merely sighed and gave another nod. Lucius wasn't pleased with the current events but there were worse situations, he supposed.

Dustin tilted his head, "I'll sleep if you sleep," He tells her as he stretched then stood, "Agreed?"

Niel nods slightly then begins his patrol. He kept his eyes alert at all times and his head on. For a moment he felt as if he was back in the war. Yet in a way this was a war, a different kind.

Once he was sure the area was secure still he made his way back to the front door.

Monica smiles and nods softly. "Agreed. I could use some sleep I suppose. " she moves to her feet, stretching a little as well. She had kept the blanket though her father had given her wrapped around her. It felt comforting to her. She looks to Dustin. "Thank you for being here."

Lucius wasn't deaf to the soft conversation between the angel and his child. It warmed his heart to hear them getting along. How he wished so many things had been different.

Dustin smiled at her then motioned for her to lead the way to her room so he could make a pallet on the floor. It was better that he was closer to her so that he could keep an eye on her magic. He was sure it wouldn't become unbalanced again but he could never be sure.

Niel looks to the devil as he reached the front door. He arched a brow at the look on the male's face. "Everything okay?" He asks.

Monica smiles again and made her way to her room where she turned the light on. She found an extra pillow and some blankets for him. "Not sure how cold you get but got a few blankets. " she offers.

"I've never been okay," He muttered softly, "The world still turns despite it. I've given my life for a cause I didn't believe in and have fought to take back the freedom a gave so willingly. I saw danger before it came and knew that there was nothing I could do to save those merely left behind in the ashes of time. I want her to have all the freedom that I gave up so I could keep the balance between the realms of existence. This enemy doesn't understand the balance he's disrupting much less does he understand that if he wins he will become a trapped soul like myself. At times I feel like just giving up my throne and letting some young fool like him take it simply to watch the weight crush them out of existence but then I look at my child and see the world she's endured for so long and I couldn't dare put that on her or those she care for."

"To do so would be to crush any hopes and dreams they held for the world would fall into chaos and there wouldn't be anything left to live for," He sighed then looked to Niel, "She and the rest of you deserve more than what was left to you."

It was his honest belief. The driving factor that made him raise his blade and sever the head of his own demons. The future will always be there it was simply a matter of what sort of future it would become. One of prosperity or destruction. He closed his eyes and smiled at the thought of the future she could bring to those around her by merely being who she is. It pleased him and gave him more reason to fight against her enemies and destroy them.

Dustin smiled at her, "This is plenty for me," He told her as he set about making his bed on the floor then climbed in, "Wake me if you need anything."

Niel gazed at the devil as he spoke. Those words hit home more ways then one. Wasn' those the reasons he went to war? He fought as a soldier? He found himself having more respect for the male before him than he ever thought he could have.

"Im glad that you stuck to it. I know she is. You can see it in her eyes when she looks at you." He smiles a little. "Though I think any young fool, especially the boogie man...should fear the day she begins to fight." He shakes his head. "She is like a sister to me, I don't ever want to see her have to do that but she is your daughter sir and if ever I've seen a warrior. "

Monica smiles to Dustin and nods a bit. She had climbed into her own bed, the blanket draped over the bed. "The same goes for you. I mean that too." She relaxes in her bed before reaching over and shutting the light off. "Good night Dustin. "

He couldn't help but chuckle lightly before he glanced at the man, "If it goes my way she will never know the feel of blood on her skin much less the scent it carries or the taste."

The devil tilted his head listening again to the occupants in the house, "They have gone to bed finally. Please make sure her door is closed while I slip into your shower," He requested as his image distorted and became shadowy in nature. It was spell he cast to keep the scent of himself and all other traces of him away from others.

Back