[IC]Endurn: The Heart of the Alauum

Soulserenity20

Arch Maiden of Metal
zx7hbk.png

The lands are changing. The Great Balance shifts, sending ripples across the Unvyr and in a world comfortable its stagnancy, change beckons a threatening future. Endurn cannot escape the forces of nature; it cannot lull in peace forever.
For when there is peace, Balance demands war.

The disappearance of the sacred Gatekeeper of the Talohm heralds the start of a new era where Endurn is threatened in its entirety. The meager disputes of the past cannot compare to the darkness that now approaches and without the Alauum to maintain the equilibrium of the land's Hearts, chaos threatens all.

A party of strangers, bound only by fate, awaken in the ghostly city of Yvir'Ilae, surrounded by a ring of Talohm. None knew of how they had come to be in that eerie city, but each awoke to the same scene, side by side with strangers from across the land. The Talohm do not speak, for they are in the presence of their most revered heroes. From their ranks step forth these heroes, shining in a light unlike the masses, stronger, taller, and grasping at the realm of the physical in a way not otherwise seen among the Talohm.

"The path of fate is a binding one. It cannot be said why you were chosen to be here, but you were chosen nonetheless." A figure of deep, vibrant purple speaks in a calm voice. She stands before One of the Seas, her essence urging forward, like smoke being drawn in with a calm breath.

"Your soul demands another. I am that other. I will bind with your native Talohm and empower you to do what must be done to restore the Great Balance and find Alauum. Do not fight me, for nothing can change what is to be, only you can decide how easy the transition will be."

The being drew in a deep breath and as it released, its essence began to flow freely, pulled to Avyra's form. Stepping forward, it merged with the Almiun's figure and with a flash of deep purple in the woman's eyes, all appeared as it always had.

"I. . ." She held up her hand, examining it as if to seek a foreign nature about her, but found nothing. Unsure of what came next, but trusting deeply in Miuna's will that she comply with whatever came to be, she looked to the strangers that surrounded her, those who would become her companions on an adventure she could not imagine. Fate had lured her here, fate had guided a powerful Talohm spirit into her very on and fate was the will of the Great Goddess.

~I feel you.~
The words were thoughts, spoken only to the Talohm within her.

~And I, you, Avyra Talmiun.~
The words came from within this time, and Avyra knew that she had changed.

PRE PLOT IC OPEN

The above statement is the beginnings of our main plot. For the time being, the IC is open for pre-plot roleplaying. Feel free to roleplay whatever your character is doing approximately two weeks before they awaken in Yvir'ilae. Don't stress about what it is they're doing, simply write and enjoy your time getting into character. Perhaps a fated encounter between future comrades will inspire budding relationships when the IC Plot begins.

The plot will be be formally announced when it begins. Do not worry about what your character is doing at the time. Regardless, they will wake up in the Yvir'ilae ruins, surrounded by the Talohm, their most recent memory being whatever you were writing about last.

Link to the

Last edited:
Alathon Leaflight
A wooping cry of joy echoes throughout the forest, disrupting the local birds from their rest and sending them flapping away from whatever would dare scare them. Branches creak as a figure swings from tree branch to tree branch, flipping and twirling as they sail through the air.

Using the momentum from his previous leap Alathon grabs onto a thick branch, hands sliding over the now smooth bark as he swings under the branch, then over it as he flips backwards to face the next tree, hands out. Landing smoothly upon the thick branch, Alathon's arm darts out to encircle the trunk of the tree as he sits crouched upon the branch, a grin splitting his face from ear to ear.

Falling back, Alathon hooks his legs around the branch to hang upside down as he comes face to face with the lower side of the tree trunk. Reaching forward, he traces his fingers along a trio of jagged lines carved into the wood. "So this is where you've been hiding." He mutters to himself, looking around. The bear responsible for these markings had been causing havoc during hunts for months now, and he had finally managed to track down the animal's territory.

Swinging around, Alathon rights himself and returns to crouching upon the branch. Grinning to himself, he pulls his quarterstaff from its sheathe upon his back. "Let's see how you like having your hunt disturbed." He says aloud before dashing off into the forest, bouncing from tree to tree.

Last edited:
jzzm2b.png
The salty spray of the sea meeting the low, stone fence of her family's home dappled her face, cooling her skin, and welcoming her to the morning. The gentle lines that ran along her skin, trailing from her neck and up along the frame of her face to where her deep, purple hair met with her subtle, blue complexion. The markings were a darker tone, but only just, and they glowed a deep purple, responding to the thoughts in her mind that drew her to the deep. Her spear sat nearby, leaning against the fence, its blackened shaft and shimmering blue gemstone tip contrasting the pale greens and blues of the coral stone. Wrapped around the top of the shaft was a rope of green waterweed with a flattened pearl amulet hanging off it, a rune's inscription just barely visible, faded with time to a meager, illegible carving. She leaned over and lifted the amulet carefully in her hands, turning it this way and that in the morning light.

"You'll need a new one soon enough. A rune is no good if it disappears entirely." The deep voice came from the pathway leading to the house and belonged to her father, Teravore, the leader of her household and of her hunting clan. He moved swiftly, his feet bare on the sand path, a light splash sounding his movement as his movement broken the shallow waters of their rural Mythern home.

"I prefer this one. If it fades, it fades. The sea will take it only if it sees fit, and who am I to say otherwise?" She turned and looked at him, smiling and offering a kind bow. As her father, and as her hunting leader, she owed him the utmost respect, and she had little issue offering it, for she loved and cherished her father greatly. He was the reason she had become the woman she had and their relationship reflected just how integral he had been in her life.

He laughed gently, placing a kind hand on her shoulder. His skin was a deep blue, much darker than hers, for he had come from a pure line of hunters and the flesh of his parents was deep blue and deep purple, giving Teravore a rich, dark hue that left him immaculately painted for the deep. Avyra had received her mother's subtle skin, but bore the marks of her lifestyles in the bioluminescent lines that trailed about her skin, a sign of the Deep Folk.

"Your faith is sincere to a fault, alviir. But I daresay the goddess would not encourage passivity in such a way. The sea takes what it will but it gives in return. Just as the tides come and go, so too do the ebbs of our lives. You will find a new pearl today and I'll inscribe the rune myself. Do not lull about in piety, the Goddess protects and guides but she will not move limb through water. Those duties are our own." He gave her a gentle squeeze before letting her shoulder go and moving away from her, following the path through the village towards the channel to the open sea.

With a sigh, she let the amulet go and grabbed her spear before making her way along after him. On the way, she braided her long hair, shortening it in the process from waist length to just above her mid-back. She stopped at a farming pool and submerged into the warm, clear waters, stepping lightly through the long, seaform and emerald strands of grass that flowed gently through the subtle movement of the water. Her toes and fingers tingled slightly as the water summoned her membranes, allowing her to move without even the slightest difficulty and even as they did, the lines of her neck deepened and opened into thin gills.

"Tavira, Goddess give, how are you? Have you any spindlfruit I can take with me on today's hunt?"

Inside an 8 foot tall stone structure made largely of orange coral stone, with silken curtains fastened on the top and bottom of each window and a door made of translucent glass shells, an old woman with pale green skin rustled about. "Yes, yes, I've a new crop here somewhere. You'll have them for a vow and bring me a little Spinefish when you return, yes?"

Tavira exclaimed and chuckled before stepping out into the open meadow and swimming carefully to Avyra, her long, whitened hair with subtle hints of blue still lingering, flowed in the water behind her, as did her robes of crystalline white and green. She settled onto the grasses and handed Avyra a cloth bag full of round, yellow fruit.

Grinning, she took one out and bit into it, her gills expelling traces of the juice as she enjoyed the striking flavor. "You do me a great kindness, Tavira. You will have your Spinefish. I have to go, Miuna guide you." She smiled, placing a gentle hand on the woman's arm for a moment before tucking the fruit away into her bag and swimming back up to the path. When she stepped up onto the shallow path once more, her skin and clothing wicked the water away. She picked up her pace, jogging lightly through the shallow water past numerous farming pools and above-water huts and tree tops. The scent of the season was strong and she welcomed it with a great joy.

Within just a short while, she had reached the channel of descent where her father and the rest of her hunting party waited. Each was sat atop a Syaruun Stallion. Each bore a vibrant color, save the tones of her father's mount, which was blackened with only traces of deep blues. A lone stallion stood free of a rider and as Avyra made her way through the light-hearted shouts at her for being late, she tossed a fruit each to the riders before mounting a stallion of deep amethyst and teal.

When all were prepared, Teravore blew threw the shell that rested on a thick rope on his neck, the beckon of his Hunt, and the stallions reared, descending into the deep where their free-spirits carried the hunters forward to the feeding grounds of the deep sea schools.

Thomas Stonewall

Thomas made his way down the moonlit path to Tolin, where he hoped to discover more about the elves that lived there and their special culture. Recently Thomas had been traveling during the night to take advantage of the cool night air and to work on navigating by the lights in the night sky, also there was a surtant nostalgy to walking alone down a dark road, it made him feel as if he was back in the mines of Helm’s Core. Like always Thomas couldn't wait to reach Tolin, as the loneliness of the road had started to get to the usually happy Dhomharan. Luckily for Thomas this would be his last night traveling under the stars, as he would reach Tolin sometime before the sun rose.

Thomas had set out for Tolin a week and some days ago after witnessing the wonderful Festival of the Winds in Brenn. The Festival of the Winds was why Thomas was okay with wandering across the land alone. If he had stayed in Helm's Core where he would always have had friends and family he would never have gotten to witness the beauty a million flowers made while drifting with the wind. The festival had meant more to Thomas then just watching a bunch of flowers fly through the wind it reminded him that sometimes you have to move to find beauty and that maybe one individual alone can not make that much of a show, but put a thousand or so together and you can create something that people will travel across the land to see. This is why Thomas loved to travel, not for the quiet or long roads, but for the beauty he found in every new place, the beauty some would never witness.

It took him almost all night, but as the sun rose on the lake of Thren, Thomas finally reached his destination. Thomas wanted nothing more then to begin exploring this new place, but he knew his body needed rest and food so he set off to find an inn. The inn Thomas found was run by an old Sylvuin couple that welcomed Thomas warmly to Tolin with a hot bowl of stew and some meed. After eating and drinking his fill Thomas bought a room to sleep in. Thomas told himself he would only take a short nap, but with a full stomach and a soft bed to sleep on his body had other plans and so he slept filled with anticipation for what lay ahead of him when he woke.

"Would you be able to dye this silk in a velvet red and a touch of golden embellishment of the winter," Valya spoke casually to a merchant offering his wares to passing. "Of course the lady! With the moon or the sun on it?" The merchant gently smiled. "The moon, but only the brightest of brightest moons," she replied.
"Ah, yes. Let me take a look at the silk." Valya holding out the silk, the merchant stepping very close. "What a fine silk!" He casually remarked before lowering the volume of his voice in a manner that only Valya could hear. "Rhediviria have recently been purchasing weapons and hiring people. Warehouse down the docks."

"Whaat?" Valya exclaimed in disgust. "My lady will not tolerate such an indignation!" Turning with the silk in her hands, she quickly and angrily stepped away, turning corners until there was nobody else in sight. Quickly she removed the gown and swapped into a different set of clothes. Giving it a final touch she pulled up her facemask and placed it back to where it belongs.
Her feet carried her to the primarey center of the market. Rhedirivira are minor nobles that choose to squabble over some minor issue with another family of status whom again hired people to observe, rather than to involve the proper authorities to solve the dispute peacefully. Meanwhile, the Rhediviria see this as an opportunity to gain more influence and they appear to have some backing as it proved to be rather difficult and dangerous to poke and inquire into their current dealings.
What she had gotten was far from how much she had wanted to find, but it was enough to persue. Surely, if they are hiring, she would potentially be able to apply and gain access to the grounds in which the purpose of these actions would be documented and listed.

The notice board proved to be a success. "Hiring additional guards," the posting said, giving the adress to their house and whom to speak to.

"You're hiring?" She asked the guard, arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. "Correct. Name?" The Guard stoically asked. "Kaleyna Vor." The guard carried on the message, turning to inform the superior responsible for hiring people.

Eruanna X Moren
A Rainjay and Soulserenity20 Collaboration

"And then he said, 'two feathers are better than none!'"
Eruanna laughed. Her drinking partner, a particularly stout Dhomharan man with an adorably curly head of brown hair guffawed at his own joke beside her before downing a hearty swig of whatever drink he happened to have. She took a sip of her own, distracted despite the pleasantry her companion offered. She'd been hoping he could point her in the direction of her desires, but thus far he'd proven useless for anything except amusement, which was well and good when she wasn't traveling on limited assets. The growing emptiness of the purse at her hip reminded her daily that her time here was limited.

She'd taken the time from her studies to travel here, to Velok, with whatever savings she'd managed to gather from the last few months of work, but it simply wasn't enough. But this was her only opportunity to get this right. And Myriani was right; if not now, then when? And so she set forth across the border, but now was stranded here, without a proper guide to what she sought.

A slight movement caught her attention from the corner of her eye; a wooden thing-or-other, decorated with a living rune. The male behind it seemed completely focused on his craft, though simply from looking at it she had no idea what it was meant to be. But, the sight of the rune was enough for her--warmly resting her palm against the shoulder of her companion, she thanked him for his company and excused herself to the table of this stranger.

"Pardon me," she said, dropping her hand onto the back of the chair adjacent to the crafting stranger and pulling it out a few inches from the table. "May I join you? I'm--well, I'm interested in what you're doing, if you wouldn't mind humoring me for a few moments."

Without waiting for a proper invite, she seated herself with a warm smile. She wouldn't let this one get away, not when she was so close. Setting her drink down, she gave the contraption a curious look-over. "What does it do?" she asked plainly.

Moren smiled at the young she-elf and scooted over a bit to give her a little space of her own at the table, though it was hardly necessary considering the size of the table. "Aye, join if you wish, a thought worth having is a thought worth sharing." He spoke with a gentler accent than most Dhomharan, as if he'd spent a lot of time away from his own kin - and he had.

"As for what it is, I suppose it's best if I show you, rather than tell you." He swished his beard out of the way, for long had it grown and with time it had come to invade his tablespace. I need to cut the damn thing, he always told himself, but he never did. Setting the contraption down, he began humming a quiet song. The tune was one from his youth and it followed him many a time into dreams filled with comfort and joy. He hoped that now it would guide others to the same place.
After the first three notes or so, the contraption began to move, quietly, with a slight creak that Moren noted, and the flat sides of it pulled back to reveal a small she-elf, just a child by any standards, carved carefully out of wood. The tiny figurine stood next to a large, golden and white goat with slender limbs, not at all like the kind the Dhomharan used on their mountains, but the sort the Esaer had adopted and bred out of these great creatures: an Alaban. The two figures bobbed their heads gently in rhythm with the music that now floated whimsically out of the device as the rune glowed gently.

"It needs work," he tapped one of the joints to try and knock it into place, "but once the rune is finished, it'll bring good and calm dreams to the little Sylvuin it's meant for." He smiled and leaned back in his chair to admire his work for a time before looking to the Sylv with the fair hair.

The magic of the musical box entranced Ru, who for several moments was fixated on the center icons of the piece as the Dhomharan hummed. She'd seen a few things like it before, even a few sleeping-pieces that some of the patients she'd seen in Haran carrying about, but nothing as grand in design. Of course, it made sense if it were for a child. She remembered the mechanical music-box her god-mother had presented to her once on her birthday, captivating her with gentle notes from all around Endurn as a crescent moon spun around and around on the small pedestal. The addition of a rune would have untold added benefit.

"So this is your trade?" she asked, somewhat rhetorically. Maybe he was a herder, or a smith, but how many men would spend their free time in a tavern crafting sleeping runes for small children without some sort of compensation? Or, another voice in her mind piped up, perhaps he's just kindhearted. "How long have you been creating runes? You appear rather well versed in the subject."

She narrowed her eyes at him in a studious way, scrutinizing him even though she knew appearances were seldom everything. His peaceful demeanor appealed to her, and if he were, in fact, kindhearted then he may just take a chance with her.

Desperation told her to take the chance. "I have been in town for several days looking for such a craftsman as yourself. I have a proposal, if you may be interested, though I have little in the way of monetary compensation. But perchance there will be something of benefit to you, too, where I intend to go."
Eruanna sat back in her chair then, taking another sip of her drink to calm the excitement in her nerves as she waited for his response.

Moren leaned forward and hummed the last few notes of the song, willing the device to close once more. He grabbed his honey ale and looked to the girl as she questioned him. "Crafting? Yes. Rune-making? Yes. Toy-making, however. . . " He gave a torn look of contemplation, gently bobbing his head from side to side as if sincerely considering the answer, "perhaps not. I'm not sure there's gold in that. This one, however is for a dear friend's little girl who struggles to sleep each night and I can, with great certainty, say that I am in the business of helping people, first and foremost."

Her next question set him into a hearty chuckle. "Lady of the Woods, haven't you ever met a Dhomharan before? We all weave runes! Near from the time we can walk, I suppose. It's as natural to my kind as fabricating and surely you know what fabrication is to the Dhomharankind. That is, unless you've been living under a fallen log or at the bottom of the sea, mm?" Her request surprised him, and then it didn't. Most people wanted something, he supposed. What mattered was what they wanted -- and why.

"I think we ought to get better acquainted before exchanging favors. Perhaps a name, to start? I'll even offer my own. The name's Moren, Moren Ironthorn. I live here in this quiet town and I drink here in this quiet tavern more than I should which lets me know that you aren't from around here and haven't likely ventured here before. Here on business, you are? Perhaps a name and a bit more of a story will leave me with a taste for accepting your offer."

Eruanna's cheeks flushed with color as she hurried to explain herself.

"Well, of course I know that! I mean to say that I'm here looking for somebody who knows a little more than most. I--Well, I suppose I ought to explain myself, first." Though, she thought, he wasn't completely wrong about her living under a log. She may as well have, but wasn't about to speak up and admit it.

"My name is Eruanna Rainbringer. I've only been in your town here for a week, and only have the means to stay a few days longer at best. I hail from the Far Shore Village, though I've been living in Haran for the past few years, and studying." She set down her glass and pulled a tight and slender scroll of paper from her sleeve, spreading it out against a corner of the table that was available.

Faded against the thin parchment were the markings of a map, though not a particularly legible one. "My mother has passed, but in life was dedicated to healing. Her greatest desire was to learn directly from the greatest healers our world had to offer, to share and use their knowledge to the best of her ability. She never achieved this goal, but I found this map among her things in Haran, and decided to pursue it."

She traced her finger along a faint, hand drawn line on the map. To Moren, it would be obvious that the line began at a somewhat detailed depiction of Velok, though the more intricate details--structures, mostly--were outdated. It then lead northward, towards a jagged marking on the map labeled in Dhomharan and Sylvuin writing both: "MYSTYWOOD CAVERN". She tapped her finger there, atop of a small star inked in gold.

"I travel here," she said, expression hardening with determination. "From here, it is one night's journey. Not too dangerous, either. According to my mother's writings, there is a ravine to be found, and hidden by a centuries old pine, whose needles hide the entrance to the reclusive home of a long forgotten Sylvuin healer. Supposedly," she gave a wry smile, "she was among the first of us to step foot on Endurn, and made her home in the trees where she could live out her days in peace. Those who sought her help and managed to find her abode were truly blessed, for they say at home that a trail of skeletons marks the path into those woods, skeletons of those who failed to find the way."

"I assume most of it is simple myth. The men and women who raised me were fond of storytelling; my mother probably was, too. But she thoroughly believed that something was to be found in that ravine. But," she paused, pulling a folded piece of paper from her pocket, unwrapping it, and setting it down against the table. "This was from her notes. She said that the entryway is barred by Dhomharan runes. I've showed this one to several people now, but none seemed to identify it..."

She turned the sheet over. There was penned the best drawing of a rune one could draw, coming from a hand that knew neither art nor runecrafting. But with a closer look, it appeared to be several runes working together for a more complex purpose, overlapping and creating a complicated mess on paper. "This, allegedly, is the rune in question. Most of the people I've asked said it makes no sense at all, but surely there must be some solution to it's madness."

"So, would you give it a try? I have no understanding of runes, but maybe if you traveled with me... And took a look at the door proper?" Her uncertainty was almost palpable, but she exuded confidence in her beaming, hopeful smile. "Worst case, I pay for a wonderful excursion into the woods. Best case, we find the writings of an ancient healer--and perhaps something precious for you, too?"

Ao1Z95q.png

He looked over at the map she was showing him, watching her finger guide along the thin line to a rocky outcropping he wasn't familiar with.The rune depicted on the back of the paper was as complex a rune as he'd ever seen. It was quite clearly written out by a master rune-worker and was likely a unique rune, unlike any the Dhomharan empire would know of. Unique runes were the trickiest to decipher and dis-spell, because one first had to understand what it was meant for the be able to reverse the manas woven into it. The girl's enthusiasm was contagious and Moren had a hard time not getting excited over the thought of such an adventure. "I suppose I would be able to help you with this. Except, I have a few things to tend to before we leave town. Come, we'll go to my cottage and tend to what needs it before we depart. You've won me over and I've some free time these days."

He smiled and stood, waiting patiently as she stood before laying down a few shimmering, green gemstomes, smaller ones cut into small, flat squares that served as coinage in the Mogarn region, as well as most of Esaer. Giving a warm thanks to the young barkeep, he set out to lead the way to his small and humble home. The pair exited the tavern and followed an old, worn path down a gently curving hill that wound its way through the town. As they walked, he asked the girl to tell him more of herself.

"Have you any travelling companions? Enough coin to keep yourself fed for your journey home? What will you do if you find the healer? Will it be worth it if you don't?"

They would pass by a shop with a welcoming scent of fresh-baked breads where Moren would pause to venture in and return with two large loaves and a small wheel of cheese. He tucked them neatly into his satchel which had a clasp on it. When he let the clasp free, a large fold of fabric fell open, doubling the size of the back and making more than enough room for the food. It appeared there were several of these folds, hinting at the great expansion the bag could undergo while remaining compact in the present.

They kept on their way, eventually breaking out of the streets and venturing into the rural woodland. It was only a few minutes of walking out of the town where a deep, black dirt road wove out from the main path and curved into the thicker woods.

Following along, they would eventually come to a small cottage in the woods with a cleared region of land. The cottage was a beautiful and welcoming abode with a vibrant flower garden outside and a plume of smoke wafting gently from the chimney. The sound of bees was a subtle hum in the distance, hinting at the presence of apiaries. A glance into the back yard revealed a large crop garden and a workshop with an open front settled into the yard. The building was a gentle blue, made both of stone and wood and the sight brought a fond smile to Moren's lips.

2d3676b5b358aa5e6a1e4329186e9041.jpg

"Welcome to my home, Lady Rainbringer." He moved forward and flicked the lock with a touch of mana, opening the door and welcoming the Sylvuin in. "Please, sit. I've a bit of work to do in the yard and I'll have to tell a friend of mine that I'm leaving for a short time, lest he get a grumble in his heart and dig up my garden." He moved to his cupboards and began stashing away various food stuffs, clothing, and a bedroll into his satchel which he shifted onto his back from his hip as it grew heavier. He loosened a second strap and it turned easily into a backpack. He asked if she wouldn't mind going down to the cellar, down a set of stairs he directed her toward, and gather a few pale roots from the barrel marked with the white runes.

As they worked about, he continued to question here. "Have you ever thought about learning how t o weave runes? You have drive, I think you'd be good at it. I daresay you'll struggle to find a teacher in Itrya, but Doriil is a near neighbor."

The young elf was grinning from ear to ear. He said yes! Oh, she couldn't believe her own ears for a moment, but as Moren stood, looking at her expectantly, she realized that her pointed appendages hadn't tried to fool her. She finished her drink--she'd already paid, a habit she'd made in order to prevent herself from overspending, as she was oft to do--and hurriedly followed her new friend out the tavern doors. He lead her down a path she'd grown quite familiar with in her short time here, though she was far too excited to enjoy the quaint givings of the nature that lived within the town as usual. Because he said yes!

"I travel alone," she started, plunging into her story readily. "Not many of the folk at home are really into adventures. Which is a good thing, I reckon, because it took me quite some time to save up for this trip and I'm not sure I could have fed two. I ought to have enough left here for my return journey," she patted the pouch at her waist, which jingled faintly in return. "but even if I'm lacking, I can take care of myself. I figure it's generally a bit rude to start hunting around a settlement, but on my way here I made meals of what I could find." She didn't talk about the incident with the squirrel.

As they wandered into a local shop, she continued: "To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this healer is either gone, or dead. I'm not sure if I'm praying for it or not. Many healers don't like to give up their trade secrets--I'm sure most people wouldn't! If she's passed, either on or elsewhere, any remaining notes or artifacts are mine. And, if there is nothing but an empty cave, or if we arrive and there isn't even a rune to be found, it was still worth the journey. I quite like Velok."
She paused only in her fluid chatter to point out his bag, noting how impressive it was in structure. "My, I wish I had thought of that," she said.

"Would have been handy on the way here,"

Eventually they made their way into the more rural areas of the town, heading in a direction she'd yet to explore. Following a path inside the thicker wood, she quieted for a time, taking the opportunity to admire their surroundings. Esaer was quite different than Itrya, but equally familiar in nature. She wondered if she had Esaer heritage in her blood, despite all the insistence by her mother that she did not. She wondered if she would ever find out for sure.

Before long the pair approached a blue cottage in the wood, surrounded by lively flowers and well kept crops. Much like home her namesake, Ruanna, had cultived in Yral, though on a smaller, more quaint scale. "By the gods, your home is beautiful!" she exclaimed, stepping to the side to examine the flowers. "How long have you lived here? You certainly take care of her."

The home was just as welcoming inside, where Eruanna set down her spare belongings. When she returned from the cellar with the roots, she continued her chatter, now instead asking questions: "May I ask what these are? And might I meet this friend? I'd like to know what sort of friend would dig up a garden as lovely as yours!"

Apparently immediately comfortable within the home of another, she did her best to assist Moren with his work, mostly fetching whatever he asked of her to.

"Well, if you think I might have a knack for it, I bet it's worth looking into to. The ability to put together a rune like yours would alone be infinitely useful. Maybe I'll make my next adventure to Dogaern!"

Last edited:
Zaos Presden

Peering over the edge of the boat, Zaos almost immediately regretted his decision as he began to feel rather queasy. "Face forward and look up," The first mate told him, pulling at the sails with a knowing grin. Zaos nodded and did as he was told. He never had been good with seafaring, and would have preferred to have taken the significantly shorter trek through the mountains, had his client not offered to pay for the journey. He was travelling to Tolin to deliver flowers for a wedding, which was no easy feat as he was constantly having to pour mana into the flowers just to keep them alive through the journey, though, he presumed, the sunlight helped them more than a ride in a covered carriage might have.

His nausea finally subsiding, he sat down on the floor- it was a rather small boat, there was no space for such novelties as chairs or beds, especially given it's tendency to rock with the waves- and reached into the pack he had brought with him. Inside was a sleeping bag, pillow, some dried meat, fruit, and, as he was just now discovering, a book. Drawing it out, puzzled, he looked down and ran his hand over the leather binding before opening it. Inside the cover was a note, reading, "I figured you might get bored on your big trip. Have fun! -Amina"

Shaking his head, he couldn't help smiling. Amina frequented his shop, looking for fresh cut flowers for her ailing mother, as the flowers seemed to be the only thing that brought the woman any joy anymore. He had mentioned that he would be going out of town to her, and she must have slipped this in his pack while he was getting her flowers. Well, it was something to pass the time, anyway, and he turned the page to read, but on doing so, another wave of nausea struck him and he flung himself over the side of the boat. Maybe reading on a boat wasn't the best idea.

When his stomach was thoroughly empty, he decided that perhaps some rest was in order, and instead pulled out his sleeping bag and pillow to do just that. He lie down and didn't wake until he heard the crewmen shouting at one another. Groaning, he sat up, only to find they had made it to port, and the shouting was because they were trying to get the lines tied onto a dock. "Looks like you survived." The first mate teased, taking Zaos' hand and pulling him to his feet. Zaos thanked him and packed up his things before pulling out his map, checking it, and making his way, in a carriage this time, down to Lake Thren where the wedding was to be held later that day.

The setup didn't take long at all, and he wasn't responsible for the disposal of the flowers, so after receiving his payment from the bride-to-be's father, he took the same carriage back to an inn in Tolin, where he was greeted with a feast. Evidently, the innkeepers knew the family of the girl who was to be wed, and even offered Zaos a discounted rate for that reason, which he gladly accepted. After eating, and being shown to his room, still feeling well-rested from sleeping on the way to Tolin, he decided to explore a bit, and perhaps even get a trinket for Amina as thanks for thinking of him. This in mind, he set out in search of a gift shop.

It hadn't taken long for Alathon to find the bear. Simply through following a set of tracks he had found a small while back, he had traced the bear all across the forest before finally finding it near a shallow freshwater river, drinking. Resting himself in the tree, Alathon observed the bear. It was male, that much was evident from the way it carried itself and how it was continually marking its territory.The brown fur had a healthy sheen to it and when it peered around to check for potential hostiles Alathon could see that it was in perfect health. He imagined that this animal's pelt could fetch quite a price if presented to the right person.

But while these traits of the bear were certainly noteworthy, none were more so than the bear's sheer size. The animal looked to be almost three times Alathon's height (granted he wasn't that tall but hey, the point stands) and seemed better built than most Dhomharan warriors.

As he gazed down at the bear, wondering how he was going to be able to take such a beast and theorising possible surprise attacks, a thought crossed Alathon's mind, one tha would put a halt to all potential plans. 'I kind of want to see how strong this thing really is...' flashed through Alathon's head, deciding for him as he followed his one guiding principle.

Grinning to himself in excitement, after all how many times are you going to get to take an animal like this head on, Alathon leaped from the tree, twisting in the air and landing with the crunch of gravel as he crouches on the rocky bank of the river, just behind the bear. Standing and twirling his bladed staff, Alathon watches as the bear quickly turns and addresses the threat, raising itself upon its hind legs as it towered over Alathon.

Clutching his staff, Alathon grins at the bear as he tenses his legs. 'This is gonna be great.' He thinks to himself as a paw comes smashing down where he was a moment ago, Alathon leaping forward at the last moment to land his feet upon the outstretched arm before leaping off and somersaulting over the head of the bear, staff snaking out to strike the animal in the skull from behind, a roar of pain erupting from the animal.

Landing on the ground crouched Alathon quickly spins around then face the bear, checking his staff's blade as he does so. It was only able to pierce the bear's flesh with such an attack, leaving a gash but no significant damage, and with it dashing any hopes of this fight being quick. The bear was back on all fours, turning to face Alathon as it snarled, drool hanging from its lips in a feral rage at the impertinent prey that had dared attack it in its own territory.

Grinning to himself, Alathon stands and assumes a stance as he squares off with the bear, ready for round two.

FefA1Tu.png

Moren chuckled quietly to himself at how chatty the Sylvuin was. He knew a lot of the Northern Clansfolk but it came about that his particular company was a fair bit noisier than the folk he associated with. It was refreshing and he took it to be an omen of a bright and exciting adventure to come. "I've been here. . . oh, about 40 years give or take. It's taken a bit of work but I daresay it's home, at last. What you have there," he said, gesturing to the roots she was tucking away into his rucksack which sat neatly atop the counter, "is a Halbrig. It's not a particularly flavorful root, not on its own, but add a bit of salt, boil it up and it'll make for a tasty and sustaining addition to any meal. They're filling, and that's what matters."

Once they had packed enough food and he had gathered what personal supplies he needed, he hung the sack on a hook near his travelling staff and cloak, at the backdoor. Leaving it there, he guided Eruanna outside into the back where a large fenced area of green welcomed them. There was very much garden and very little grass. What grass there was had been cared for and looked domestic amid the wild of the forest beyond the fence. There was a large hole in one area of the fence and while the debris that had once claimed the surrounding region of the yard had been cleared, the hole remained, as if deliberately kept. The buzzing of bees was louder here and one could peer just beyond the fence, down a short path to a space where colorful apiaries hummed with life. All through the garden, flowering vegetables called to the bees. The bumbling helpers, each about the size of a apple, were going about their work, coming and going without any mind of Eruanna or Moren.

The garden itself was full and great. Long stocks of leafy plants with sweet stalks that could be prepared for baked goods or sweets grew nearly 6 feet tall. Thick vines with heavy leaves the size of a man rest lazily about large gourds the color of blood plums and stalks of husked vegetables grew some ten feet into the air. Among the foreign crops, Moren was growing a lot of the local produce, including hardy berries that weighed down their bushes, durable roots with heavy, orange and red leaves that sat atop the earth, marking their underground beds.

He moved to a large basin of water and summoned up mana to draw it into the air. What he did next wasn't particularly graceful, but it was effective. Dragging his hand across the air, he sent the water spraying out every which way across the garden, coating it with a shower of the life-giving substance. When the water fell, a loud rustle sounded from deep in the garden and Moren started. "Oh! Didn't know you were in there, Grimmy. Best get your lazy hide out of the beds before I soak you clean through!" There was a low, deep grumbling sound coming from the garden and a heavy rustling before a massive figure of deep brown barreled out from one of the crowded rows.

owwsucc.png

The bear was a massive figure, over 8 feet tall at the head, with hulking shoulders rising up above the thick skull. It shook its head, humming and hawing in annoyance. When it laid eyes on Eruanna, it huffed a heavy breath in, sniffing and tasting the air as it neared her. Moren stepped in front of Eruanna then, lifting both arms up into the air. "Now, now, off you go. Nothing of the maiden worth bothering. You've no business sticking your nosy snout in her affairs. Off, go!" He moved forward, waving off the hulk as if it were a curious foal. Towering over him in height, the bear responded surprisingly well, despite having the clear ability to maul the Dhomharan. When at last the creature stopped showing any sign of needing to sniff and bother Eruanna, moving across the yard to where the hole in the fence was and settling onto a very dead area of grass that seemed to be a go-to resting place for it, Moren turned to Eruanna.

"That's my friend, and I imagine it's a fair bit easier for you to understand why he might dig up my garden!" He bellowed a hearty laugh and patted the girl on the shoulder before turning to continue watering the garden. "His name is Grimsfeldt. He came to me as a foolish cub, stuck in tight place without a mother in sight. I made the mistake of helping him and since then, he's chosen me as his friend."

The man paused and looked to Eruanna, casting her a knowing glance. "Gods know I didn't choose him as a pet, that's for damn sure. But we don't always have a say in what's to come and what's to be. He's chosen me and I make do. Not to say I haven't had a good number of memories in the company of the old brute, but he can be a bit of a handful, especially in the gardens."

He lowered his voice then and spoke to her with a hand keeping his lips from the line of site of the bear. "He's a fancy for the Marr Berries and the Pettran Gourds." A chuckle, and then back to work. It wasn't long before he had finished, he harvested some of what needed to be pulled and stored it back in the house. When he returned, he had collected his gear, draped his cloak across his backpack for the weather was warm and he had no need for it at current. He straightened his tunic of a deep red atop stone-grey slacks of light, but sturdy cotton and tugged on each of his old, worn, leather boots for good measure. "I suspect we ought to be on our way now, that is, if we want to make it back in 3 days time."

He gestured down the path that ventured out from the hole in the fence and they were on their way. It was no more than 5 minutes down the trail when heavy footsteps could be heard behind them and the occasional mumbling grumble sounded as the dire bear passed lazily along the trail not a hundred yards behind them, stopping occasionally to rummage for a snack in the dirt or to scrape up along a tree to get an itch. Moren cast a look behind him and shook his head.

"I suppose he's decided to come along for the journey." As they walked, they made small talk, with Moren returning to the topic of rune-making lessons. "I've a cousin or two in Dogaern. One of them is a great teacher, the other is a bit useless but kind nonetheless. If I sent word, I can guarantee you they'll welcome you in, give you a warm hearth to sit by and a good number of books to read on making runes. Not to mention a free visit to one of Mogradorn's classes. He's always happy to share his knowledge, that one. I'm sure it'd be quite enjoyable for one whose mind is as buzzing with a want for knowledge as yours."

Aidan Prospice

Aidan kept his hand close to his chest and watched the table around him. He squinted his eyes waiting, "I'll Raise" the gruff voice came from a burly looking, at least by elf standards, man named Sorfildor? no maybe it was Sorfoldeer? Sorfelire?... honestly, it didn't matter to Aidan he just called him Sorf but what did matter was his tell. Sorf wore a cocky smile with his cards loosely folded down in front of him but Aidan could see it, the heaviness in his smile, the twitch in his ear and the tenseness in his eyes. With an easy grin, Aidan pushed a few coins into the pile "I'll call your bluff, Sorfy" he grinned which earned an irritated look from the burly man.

Two other players were on the table but once they saw the growing pile of coins being gambled they both folded. Aidan for his part looked at the five cards on the table four faced up and one faced down then looked at his own hand which wasn't good but if his instincts were right then Sorf had a terrible hand. Somebody flipped the card over and Sorf gave a worried sigh "Pair of nines" the large elf said but Aidan just smirked "Three of a kind" grasped his arm with a scowl "You're a good player kid but that money wasn't mine to gamble so why don't you just give it back so I can return it to my boss" Aidan just looked at the menacing elf for a second as if reasoning what the man just told him "Naah" he said childishly before dumping mass of coins in a fairly large sack which he slung over his shoulder after standing up "See you Schmucks never" Aidan said before he walked out the door

By the time Aidan strode out the tavern it was already dark. The streets shone a silver hue from the moonlight and the stars glowed brightly in the otherwise pitch black void that was space. Aidan alway thought it was so beautiful the void that broke up the night sky he enjoyed in particular because it made him feel at ease for no apparent reason. He was so happy that he finally had enough money to leave Kallamere or maybe to enjoy the town he hadn't really decided yet. After months of living on the charity of the local temples and working low paying courier jobs for local merchants, Aidan finally had a decent amount of money which just for the hell of it he decided to gamble but to his luck it paid off.

Aidan started to walk through the alleys of Kallamere using his usual route to his lodgings at a temple for some god of peace he still hasn't remembered the name of when a large elf with crossed arms starred him down "I told you, Aidan, that money wasn't mine to gamble. I'm really sorry about this but I need it back one way or another" Aidan looked like he let that threat sink in for a moment before he opened his mouth as if to speak. Instead of forming words however Aidan ran towards another alley, The elf was large probably a Northerner he thought to himself He could out run Sorf, go left then right then up the bakery towar- When he rounded a corner he felt a pain smack him in the throat as he was close-lined by on of the other players on the table. Damn he thought as he laid down on the cold ground and before he could even react or think he felt another pain hit him in the side. The other younger looking elf from the table appeared and the thugs kicked Aidan repeatedly until he was bloody "You sure it's a good idea to leave him alive Sorfildor" said the younger elf. So Sorfildor was his name Aidan remembered that as another foot landed on his back "There's no need to leave a body, it'll just be a bigger mess to clean up" Sorfildor said rounding the corner and picking up the sack of coins Aidan dropped.

The young elf just laid on the ground limp, bloody and most of all tired. SoOo so tired Was the only thought running through Aidan's head with the lovely silver light and cool and comfortable ground it was impossible for his heavy eyes to stay open Just need to rest for a Littlee.... was the last thing that went through his mind before darkness overtook him

Last edited:
Alathon Leaflight
The bear charged at Alathon, all teeth and muscle and anger, silent save for the pounding of its feet as it rushed the elf. Alathon leaped upwards, placing his foot upon the top of the bear's head to use as a platform for launch, sending him even further into the sky.

Tilting himself so that his head was pointed toward some the ground, Alathon flashed out his staff again, sending the blade deep into the bear's left shoulder as he pulls himself forward using the now embedded staff. The bear let out an involuntary roar of anger, launching itself back onto its hind legs and accidentally slamming its ton and a bit body into the Alathon as the elf was still in the air, sending the elf flying towards the ground.

Quickly maneuvering his body Alathon managed to turn a breakneck crash to the ground into a slide, his body dragging along the ground as he grimaces in pain, in a crouched position and holding his ribs, facing the bear once again as he realises that his staff was still within the animal's body.

The bear seemed wroth with pain. The staff was lodged deep and seemed to be opening the wound the more the beast moved. The bear once again returned to all fours before slowly making its way towards Alathon, making its way forward as it tried to lessen the pain.

Alathon's hands scrambled through the various stones near him, searching for something, anything, that could allow him to come out on top. Just as the bear came within swiping range, Alathon's hands found a rock the size of his fist. As the bear's right paw came forward to crush him, Alathon leaped forward, rock smashing into the left eye of the beast.

Wasting no time, even ad the bear lurched backwards, Alathon wrapped his hands around the bear's head and heaved, pulling the animal's head down at the same tie as sending him sailing forward, above the bear's back and towards his staff.

Grabbing onto his staff, Alathon kept the momentum from his leap going as he heaves the weapon, the blade slicing through muscle and tendon as he maims the animal's left foreleg. Continuing with his momentum Alathon wrenches the blade from what was left of the bear's shoulder, launching into the air and whipping his body around, spinning the staff midair, to bring the other blade into the animal's right shoulder, repeating the process and bringing the animal to the ground.

Panting as he removed the blade from the animal's shoulder, Alathon listened to the bear's pained breathing as he walking on top of the animal's body. Pressing his foot into the back of the bear's head, he lifts the staff above his head before sending the weapon into and through the bear's non-damaged eye, piercing skull and flesh and brain, as the animal finally goes slack.

Still panting, Alathon remove some his foot and slides down the side of the bear, sitting on the ground as he leant against the corpse. "Just... just five minutes. Catch me breath. Then I'm gonna try and lug you back home." He muttered to the corpse as he listened to the trickle of the stream.

ru2mmf.png
The events that saw Avyra swiftly moved from an evening meal and a pearl hunt to a trip out to Lake Thren were a storm of confusion. As she swam quietly through the warm waters of Ethren's Shallows, she replayed the conversation again and again in her head, trying to pick out when she had been formally played.

"I can assure you, this is important. Alavaern is a very important trade partner and has done our family a good many favors over the years. It has to be delivered as soon as possible." Davyr said without a glance. He was working on pruning back one of his most prized crops, one the upper classes had taken a liking to and one that had brought good money into the family home. Despite of age, both Avyra and Davyr still lived with their parents. Neither had a spouse and both were close with their parents, having no desire nor need to start homes of their own. Though, with the way Davyr's relationship was picking up over the last few years, Avyra was sure her father would make Davyr wed the young Shore Maiden. Avyra was far from marriage or romance of any kind, really. She had a distaste for arranged marriages, a distaste for being told who and when to love and as such, had insisted to her father that she focus on her hunting skills and take up leadership of the hunting party when he chose to retire. He had bought it, for the time being -- or at least he had put on a good show that he had. Teravore was more intelligent than he let on. Insisted it was a sure way to always get the upper hand.

"Why can't you send one of your workers? Or your idiot friend Mithrinyl?" A cold glare as he stopped his pruning and made his way over to where his little sister defiantly stood.

"I don't trust Mithrinyl, not with something this important. And my workers are busy -- working!" He let out a sigh, shaking his head, and turned away from her. "Father will be so disappointed to hear that you've refused to help our dear, old, family friend. You know, Alavaern is the man that first got father a spot on the hunting party. When they were young it was --"

"OKAY. By the Tide, I will do it. But you're telling father why I won't be meeting him to have my new protection pearl inscribed tonight."

Davyr grinned, pulling a small parcel from his pocket wrapped in silver weed paper with a ribbon made of shimmering green. "Very well, I'll let him know. And I wont' forget to tell him how gracious and thoughtful you were to offer to do such an important errand for your big brother."

She turned, flipping her wet hair at him and waving him off with a slender hand. "Goodbye, Davyr. I will see you in a week."

And so here she was, diving down to the underwater tunnel that linked Lake Thren to Ethren's Shallows. The tunnel had a beautiful mural painted in bioluminescent paste that never faded in the salty waters. An image of an old hero forging the tunnel as a way for the people of Lake Thren to escape from a war with a violent dragon that had descended down the eastern slopes of the Esselian Mountain after finding it's eggs had been destroyed. It took its rage out on the Almiun settlements there, insisting they were meddling with the nests out of their hatred for fire. The dragon saw no reason, and so the hero of old forged a safe path for the people to escape into the seas and flee the fires of the blind dragon. She had been here a time or two before and she always stopped to admire the murals.

As she stood on the floor of the cave, her long, cyan and navy, high waist skirt flowing in the gentle current from the north, loose hairs spilling out from around her face where her braid lost it's hold. She stepped forward, touching the mural gently, considering what the hero's life must have been like. She was torn from her thoughts as a family of travelers passed through, greeting her kindly on their way. She smiled warmly at the family, seeing something of a want in their image, but quickly freed herself from the thought and carried on her way.

It took her the rest of the day to get through the tunnel. She stopped at an small outlet for lunch, chatting with the young salesman while she ate her skewer of various shallows fish meat and crops. The meat had been boiled, as was the most common method of cooking used by the Almiuns, as they could control the temperature of the water with ease and fire was thoroughly unused by her people, save the odd Shore family. When she finally arrived at Lake Thren, she took some time to wander about the beautiful nature reserve, strolling peacefully through the underwater forest, trailing the paths made of thousands of simmering pearls all laid out in decorative designs and fastened into place with a paste. She loved it here and every time she returned, she found herself wondering why she didn't venture there more often.

This time, however, things felt different. The waters were cooler than usual, there were very few people about, and something in her heart paced restlessly about. She did her best to brush off the feeling, but it seemed to stick. Bothered, she began making her way out of the waterwoods and up to the ascent pathway , but something in the thick of the woods caught her eye.

After not much luck in finding a knickknack for Amina and a whole lot of wandering aimlessly, Zaos eventually found himself back at the wedding. The father had given him an honorary invitation, which he had initially politely declined, and yet he seemed to have stumbled into it, anyway. He sat through the ceremony quietly, gazing more at the flowers he had put together than the bride and groom, who meant nothing to him, and when the time for the reception came, there were a few who asked who he was, what his relationship to the bride and groom was, but most people left him alone, which suited him just fine. Really, he had only stayed because the innkeeper had mentioned that they wouldn't be back to make dinner that evening due to the wedding and he was all about free food, even though he had some still in his pack- it would always be good later.

As the festivities died down, he offered to help clean up the flowers. Most of them were tossed into the forest to decompose and create soil for fresh flowers to grow, but some he chose to set on the calm, smooth surface of the water and shove away from the shore, watching them float away. It was a peaceful and relaxing thing for him, and something he often did with flowers that were going to go to waste otherwise on the shores of Sora Vuun. It might not have meant anything to anyone else, but for him, it was a powerful thing, sending the flowers off like this. He had done it for hours when his grandmother died, and again for his parents.

Eventually, he grew bored of the act, however, and, taking the remainder of the flowers and throwing them into the woods, he took one last look back at the water. By then, the party had moved on and he was (or at least believed he was,) alone. For a time, he contemplated resting out here rather than back at the inn- it was so peaceful and calm compared to the bustle of Tolin. Part of him longed for home as he looked out on the water, but mostly, he was curious as to what this feeling was, that something was going to happen soon. It both unnerved and excited him, causing him to look forward to what the next day would bring, though he was still far from ready to retire for the evening. He would still have to make his way back to the inn at some point, but he still had quite a bit of energy and was not afraid of making the trek back in the night.

Thomas Stonewall

Thomas didn't wake up from his nap until the sun was already high in the sky. Disappointed that he slept for so much longer than he intended to Thomas wasted no time in getting ready to go out and start exploring Tolin. After washing the sleep out of his eyes and tidying up his room Thomas headed down to the tavern part of the inn to see if he couldn't grab a snack before heading out, but when he reached the tavern it was empty except for a small furry creature that sat next to the door munching on a bone. Patting the creature on the head Thomas left the inn to find a food else where, after all the best way to learn more about a people is to eat their food.

Thomas decided to head down to the Lake of Thren to see if he couldn't find a restaurant that served authentic Almiun fish. On his way down to the lake Thomas stopped many times to take in the sights and talk to some of the locals. As Thomas made his marry way to the lake he ran into an merchant whose cart had broken, not being one to pass up the chance to help those in need Thomas wandered out of his way to see if he could lend the merchant a hand. "What happened," Thomas asked the merchant

"The blasted wheel fell off again," the merchant, a rather tall Almiun, replied standing from where he kneeled inspecting the broken wheel.

"More hands make for faster work," Thomas replied extending his hand to introduce himself, "Thomas Stonewall."

"Bren Yether," the merchant replied shaking Thomas's hand, "any help you can offer is greatly appreciated."

"Well let me have a look at the wheel and see what I can make of it," Thomas explained as he started to inspect the wheel and where it attached to the cart. Thomas had worked in a blacksmith shop a while back that specialised in making carts and other animal drawn contraptions, so Thomas had an idea of what he was looking for. "I think I found your problem. See here the pin that holds the wheel on broke, it happens every so often. If you have a hammer and some scrap wood I can make you a patch."

"I should have something that you can use," the merchant replied walking to the back of the cart. The merchant returned to Thomas with an old broom and a brand new hammer. "The brooms old so I don't mind you scrapping it."

"This will work fine Thomas explained taking the hammer and broom from the merchant." Wasting no time Thomas drew his knife from its sheath Thomas used the hammer and knife to clear out the broken piece of wood that used to hold the wheel on. After cleaning it up and getting the wheel barring ready, Thomas inspected the wheel and used the hammer to beat it back into a usable shape. "Now all we need is enough man power to lift the cart up, so I can put the wheel back on." The merchant looked rather hasten to ask more strangers for help, but Thomas on the other hand just walked out into the street and explained, "Can I get a hand lifting this cart up!" Knowing that like himself other people wanted to help, but were just more shy and needed a little inspiration to get involved.

The last of the sun's rays turned the darkening sky brilliant shades of gold and red as the moon began to rise and show its silver light. All around her were the gentle sounds of the evening, as the world began to shift from those who dwelled within the light of the day to those who preferred the cover of darkness. Beyond the slow crumble of dirt beneath her wagon's wheels were crickets just beginning their evening songs, the heavy breaths of the freshly woken Dragaern pair sounding harmoniously with the tiny chirps.

It was the time of the moonhold, where those born of the sun would wake those born of the moon and switch places. To keep the caravan always moving, those who preferred the night would wake and take to their evening tasks while those who preferred the day would crawl into the wagons and sleep away the night. This process typically took no longer than twenty minutes, depending on the moods of the elves, themselves. But typically, it was smooth with very little issue at all.

Alavara, she of the night, took a deep breath, stretching her tired body as she began to take her first few steps into the newfound evening. Her bow, which was actually her still-slumbering companion, was held gently within her long, narrow fingers, and the quiver of arrows rested neatly against her back, all but the arrows covered by a cloak of blackened hide thin enough to catch the wind. Her long, silvery hair flowed down her back, loose and unruly as usual, her pointed ears just barely peaking out from the silken strands. She found herself with a small smile on her pale face as she took in the area around her.

They were to arrive soon in one of her most favored locations on their regular travels, Velok. It wasn't a very large place, nor was it very big in the way of trading. However, it was a stop they often made when traveling North, just to see if anyone would be interested in trading. The she-elf had no real desire to go about the regular, everyday trades of her people in this town, but she did have a particular favorite that she always visited, so long as he was still here. After all, it had been many moons since she had last seen him. But his honey was the best she had ever tasted, and now, she only ever ate that particular honey.

She looked towards her Speaker, glowing blue eyes sparkling vibrantly as the rays of the sun all but disappeared. He was a tall, slender man, with a braid of black and silver hair, tiny strands of violet and green flowing throughout. His amber eyes gleamed as he caught her gaze, a smirk rising on his thin lips. "Yes, child, you may go."

A smile filled Alavara's face, and she gave a low bow before darting off into the shadows. Oh, how it felt to run. Her first run each night was always so thrilling. The wind through her hair, the silence beneath her feet. What captivated her most, however, was the sounds of wings beside her, her bow having disappeared from her hand to become the sparkling creature she had come to love like no other. Alkkahrn looked over with the strange, lackadaisical smile his face always seemed to wear, eyes shimmering with the same glee she felt. Then, without another word, the beast pumped his wings and soared past her as though she were a meager ant beside him. A laugh escaped her as she threw up her hands and let the feeling of the night take her.

After a few moments, she found herself upon the path that led to the dwarf man's house. She had it memorized from all of her previous times coming here. As usual, she had hoped to find him out back, tending to his garden to ease himself from a day of tinkering and socializing.

Instead, however, the she-elf found herself almost running into him. Stopping suddenly, she gave a smile and spoke as her companion landed beside her with a huff. "Greetings, Moren! I know that I sent you a messenger bird a moon back, but you never know if those creatures actually arrive. Do you have any honey available?"

Meanwhile, Alkkarn was craning his head across his partner to attempt a sniff at the other she-elf. This one, the beast seemed to think, was strange. And naturally, with strange things came fascination.

Last edited:
Eruanna made a fast note of the information Moren gave her, and continued to marvel at his home as they stepped out into his garden, literally buzzing with life and filled with large blossoming plants. She recognized several of the species he was growing, and wanted to ask questions about the ones she was unfamiliar with, but before she had a chance water was showering from above and there was a grumbling from within the plants. And then an image directly from her wildest imagination emerged; a bear, simply giant in size, came running and shaking from where it must have been hiding, careening to a stop before her. She hardly had a chance to react before it began to investigate her presence, acting quite oddly for a bear. Eruanna, for all her merit, was stunned into stillness.

"That's a bear," she said lamely as Moren stepped before her and attempted to wave the bear off. Wave the bear off. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen someone attempt to simply tell a bear to go away. But... strangely enough, the bear finished with a few more sniffs and turned, almost disdainfully, and lumbered to the whole in the back garden fence.

She was silent as Moren explained, and as he turned to continue his harvest she burst out a peal of giggles and laughter. "That's your friend? Why, that's probably the oddest thing I have seen for some time, and I've met some very odd people doing some very odd things." But she smiled, well-meaning in her thoughts. The bear was certainly endearing, if not terrifying at first sight. Not many people had a bear as part of the family, but certainly there were worse things than free, loyal security guard! "I don't envy you. Protecting a garden from the usual hungry rodents is hard enough work--I can't begin to imagine trying to defend it from Grimsfeldt!"

It wasn't long before Moren had finished packing his things and the pair set back down the path towards the tavern. "I'm staying at an inn closer to the outskirts of town, not out of the way of where we are headed. I just want to stop and grab my belongings. It's not much--perhaps a few minutes, tops. And then, off we go!"

"I must admit, I'm more one for lectures than books," she was saying as they followed down the path. Some minutes away from reaching the center of town, they were still walking within the relative silence of the surrounding wilderness, except for the beautiful orchestra from the waking nightlife among the trees. "The voice is captivating, I find... and I struggle to make a voice of my own for when I read. Unless it's my mother's writing. I can always imagine hers, although--"

Yet another figure came barreling from the woods at them, though this time it was a person. A female Odakkai? Eruanna hadn't seen many of their kind in her lifetime before, but the violet feathers lacing her hair and the airbound companion at her side made it quite obvious. Her companion chanced a sniff at Eruanna--who was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong about her, for all the sniffing these creatures were doing to her today--while the Odakkai herself began to speak. It seemed she knew Moren... and was asking for honey.

"Hello!" Eruanna greeted the stranger as cheerily as she had Moren, despite her strange and sudden appearance. "I'm Eruanna. If you don't mind mine asking, what brings you here? I don't recall having seen an Odakkai this far out! Did you truly come all this way for honey?"

Aidan Prospice

With the sun shining on his face Aidan woke from the floor stretching and making a noise like the mixture of a groan and a yawn. He started to check himself noting that although he was bloody with purple welts dotting his body, He was still breathing and all of his limbs still worked properly so that was pretty lucky. The young elf decided to stretch his sore body only to regret it instantly when it aggravated the pain across his body. Aidan decided not to let something like that affect him too much and so shook the pain away, wore a pained spiteful smile and jogged his way back to the temple of the God of Peace.

The bloody elf smiled widely to compensate for the pain when he opened the heavy doors of the great white oak tree which housed the temple. He was greeted by a gray-headed old elf who wore a face of concern. The old brother waved two younger looking acolytes away as he shambled towards Aidan "By Mivure young one!? What has happen to you? I know you don't always stay here in the temple but I was troubled when you did not come tonight" Aidan just walked past him with a smile "Played some cards" he said before walking over to the offerings table and blatantly taking an apple. The priest gave an annoyed look as they young elf took a bite into it "Aidan that fruit was an offering to the great gods of oak. I'm sympathetic to your plight, I have been ever since you came to this temple ragged and tired but please refrain from committing something that is borderline sacrilege" Aidan groaned "Isn't this a temple of peace brother Almer? Why not give to the needy instead of wasting perfectly good food? You're just going to dump it into dirt anyways". The priest looked frustrated but then sighed, it looked like he had been asked this question too many time in his long life but maybe Aidan's aloofness and general disregard had pushed him more that necessary "That is not the point child" he said calmly "It is tradition that we do this, A tradition to honor the gods for all they have give us. The people who worked hard chose to give these offerings to the gods and it is by those gods will we have these offering today. We may give to them but it is only to give back a little of the many blessings that we have taken from them".

Aidan was honestly at a lost for words, internally he wanted to debate the subject and prove the old priest wrong but even he had enough shame to keep quiet. After all, it was Almer who met him with open arms after he had arrived in Kallamere, It was Almer who'd let him stay in the temple and gave him scraps to eat when the reality of his situation finally started to hit him, It was Almer who spoke so highly of him towards the local merchants so that Aidan could finally work and make money to support himself. So the young elf held back his barbed tongue and instead just nodded at the old priest before walking to one of the back room of the temple. Aidan changed into slightly less ripped and dirtied clothes then started to walk out the door.

"Where are you going Aidan" Brother Almer Shouted. Aidan looked back and gave a smile "Just need to talk to some friends" he said before exiting the temple. Plans ran through his head as to how he could regain his lost money. He was attacked by all three of the players on the table and though he was ambushed he knew he stood no chance against them in a fair fight so Aidan decided not to play fair. Sorfildor would have to come last as he probably had the money hidden and if Aidan where to make a move and fail he'd have probably lost his chance to gain it back. The young elf decided to prowl the rooftops in search of the younger poker player as he seemed like the easiest target at the moment. It seemed like a pretty dumb idea running on top of the houses looking for his quarry but Aidan knew how to effortlessly navigate it easily most likely due to his nature as a Sylyun especially one who had used the high canopy the nearby forest of his hometown as his personal playground.He was keen eyed and stealthy enough to hide from any people below who had noticed, a skill he'd gained from keeping his eyes open from the dangers of the road

Last edited:
Moren chuckled and pat Eruanna on the arm before bowing deeply to Alavara, one of his regular customers, if regular meant every 6 months or more. Nevertheless, it was always a pleasure to see her and he had been expecting her.

"I did indeed get the bird, a tired thing it was though. I had a note left on the bench at the back door for you to let you know your honey would be just in the porch on the table in the back. I'm off on an adventure," he motioned to the young Sylvuin at his side, "with this young lady of the wood! She's got a map and a wish to find a healer. Something you'd be keen to get in on, if I'm not mistaking your taste for adventure." He looked to Eruanna then, going on to settle her bewilderment over the Odakkai's presence.

"The Odakkai are travelers. They go far and wide across all of Endurn. It should come as no surprise to any to see their kind at each of the far corners of the land and ll the where between. Alavara's caravan comes through once or twice a year. They venture to Mogarn and visit with the Matriarch in the Mountain there, selling their wares, collecting goods and hunting the rich meat of the northern forest."

He reached into his pocket then and retrieved a small handful of nuts that he often kept to feed to passing squirrels or messenger birds that arrived. He strode over to Alkkahrn and opened his palm. "There, a bit of a strange treat for you, but one I'm sure you'll enjoy if you just give it a try."

Grimsfeldt grumbled and growled, coming over the last rise on their path and catching a glimpse of the wyvern. With a deep roar that appeared to herald a charge, the bear instead lumbered casually down the hill. He wasn't fond of the wyverns, but he often lacked the energy to do anything but complain about it. When he reached the group, he began sniffing Moren's pocket obnoxiously, pushing the Dhomharan about. Moren smacked the bear in the nose and summoned a large stone mound that forced the bear to take a few steps back. "Mind your manners, Grimsfeldt. It's unbecoming of any living thing to take without asking."

He tossed a handful of the nuts along the path for the bear to munch on, effectively eradicating his stores, before wiping his hands on a handkercheif that hung from his belt. "We best be on our way, Lady Eruanna. My kind can see at night but that's not the case for your folk, is it? If we want to cover a fair bit of ground, we'll have to get on our way." Turning then to Alavara, he gently collected her hand, placing a quick kiss atop it.

"Alavara, it has been a charm, as always. But I fear we've got to be on our way. The girl needs to find her mystical healer and it's a good two days trips there and back. Had it been another time I'd show you to the cottage and get you your order myself, but for now you'll have to excuse me and settle for collecting it from the porch on your own. I hope it's no great trouble for you."

Before Moren could speak, the she-elf to his side spoke up, taking Alavara's attention briefly as she shoved Alkkahrn's nose out of the way. "Oh, hello. My apologies for my friend, here. He's quite fond of strangers, as many of my kind and our companions are."

Then, Moren spoke, stealing her attention back to himself and explaining his honey placement and why. A mischievous smile formed across her lips. While she may not have been too much for new people, unlike most of the others within her caravan, she was always fond of an adventure. And they were expected to remain in Velok for a week before making a straight shot for Mogarn without stopping. "I'm glad to know that you received it, and that the honey is already prepared for me to grab it. However, I cannot leave you without your pay, and I am sure you do not wish to take it with you on this adventure. Perhaps it is in both our interests that I accompany you, yes?"

Alkkahrn turned and sniffed lightly at the nuts presented to him, his face holding an almost defeated look. Despite his obvious relation to the mighty and majestic dragons of the world, he was by very little means a meat eater, preferring the simpler, gathered foods like roots and berries. Meat, for him, was a delicacy only provided when he did something very well. However, nuts were not typically on his menu at all. They smelled strange to him, and he gave a huff, blowing them about in the Dhomharan man's palm. Then, tentatively, he opened his mouth and picked one up, slowly letting it crunch in his mouth. Delight seemed to come over him, and he quickly licked up the rest of the offered nuts, chomping rather loudly. In fact, he didn't even seem to notice the bellow of the bear in the back, sitting back on his haunches, wings halfway stretched, letting his long tongue slide across his narrow maw gleefully.

The she-elf chuckled, patting his shoulder. "I'll send Alkkahrn here to let my Speaker know of my whereabouts. If it is alright with both of you, I would be happy to be...protection, perhaps? After all, that's what Guardian's do best. And this can help pay for the honey, and some of my currency can better go towards the things my caravan need in Mogarn." She swooped into a low bow, to both of them. It was an offer, but one she would not push if the others felt it wasn't necessary. Not every day that Alavara was in the mood to travel with people she did not know - while she did, indeed, love adventure, she preferred them to be with those she knew well. But here, with the man who always gave her the best honey in all of Endurn, she was willing to travel.

2dSQyIS.png
Moren blushed at the deep bow from Alavara. A lady should never bow lower than a man, this was something he firmly believed, regardless of the patriarchal standards under which he had been raised. He hated how his mother had always been made to submit to the men of his Clan, regardless of how much work she put in to society, into raising him when no man was around to do it. He settled himself, waiting for her to rise back up before taking her hand gently. "I'd be honored to have you along and a protector for the price of honey is nothing to say no to, Miss Eruanna."

Moren had apparently made the decision for the original party, and with Grimsfeldt now finishing his snacks, he knew all too well how bored and bothersome the bear would become if they didn't get along their way. He gestured to the trail ahead before forging the way himself. The group carried on, stopping only briefly so that Eruanna could collect her belongings. It wasn't long before Alkkahrn returned, giving a sign in good favor of Alavara's message having met the Speaker. They pressed on into the deep woods of Isaer. The region was warm with summer, a comfortable temperature in a region that never got uncomfortably hot, though the same could not be said of how cold it often got here. The once snowy floors of the old forest were deep hues of rich mahoganies and near-blacks with the bounty of nutrients that filled them. Low grasses grew, large ferns peeked out from around thick tree trunks whose circumferences called for exhaustion from the most short-legged and shallow-lunged of the Dhomharan. Moren loved the big trees here, for they reminded him of the mountain: steady giants, monoliths of life and fortitude. The transition to the woods had come easily to Moren and the sheer size of the old trees was a good tell as to why this was the case.

The path they had followed was eventually left behind as Moren pushed them into the thick of the woods, seeking out the nearby river and trailing it northward to where the thin line on the map crossed. When they arrived there, however, there was no crossing to be seen. "Hmm." Moren said simply.

"I suppose we ought to make ourselves a sturdy way across, unless you all fancy a bit of a swim?" He laughed lightly but his heart had grown dark. He hated fast-moving rivers. This one was not always so fast but this particular area met a bend and a downwards slope, causing it to pick up speed and flow heavily with rapids that danced over the twisting, rocky underbelly. The river was nearly 30 feet across, making it an even more difficult task. He could certainly create a stone bridge, but that would take a fair bit of time to ensure it didn't give out and that it would be large enough for Grimsfeldt to cross. Had the bear simply stayed put at the garden, nibbling happily on the crop, this wouldn't have been an issue. He supposed that he could have just left the bear behind on the side of the river and come back a day later to find the brute chewing on fish and brumbling about in annoyance at being abandoned. Moren was certain he wouldn't get a moment's peace for weeks after, for Grimsfeldt was keen on holding grudges and Moren was impatient to the sound of whining growls at the night's latest hours and large claws scratching up the side of his forge shed.

Instead, he figured he might simply fell a tree and work out a way to get it to the shore, though, the side of the trees here left that a hopeless endeavor lest he wished to spend a fortnight hacking away at the ancient giants. "Any ideas from the two of you?"

Last edited:
Back