Passengers (Ciara and jrusso20)

Ciara

@jrusso20

Based on the movie Passengers.
Sent in space around 50 years ago, people from Earth were put into a deep sleep until the spaceship landed onto the new planet they were meant to explore. The only bad thing is... two of the people were awakened too early from sleep. What will they do now? Why were they awakened? Will they survive?

Samantha (Sam) Greer

Sam gasped for air as she woke up in the transparent pod. Quickly pushing the pod open, she sat up and looked around at the other pods. There were almost 500 people in the space ship, but she did not see any others awake. Confused, she got out of her pod and began walking around. She didn't explore the whole pod area before wanting to explore the rest of the space ship, so she walked outside and around to the bar area.

There was a bartender standing behind the bar. Happily walking over to him, she asked, "Hi! You've woken up too?!" The bartender looked at her with a robotic smile on his face. "Hello, I am Daniel, your bartender while on board. We still have 20 more years to go, you cannot be awake yet."

Sam looked at him angrily, "Well I am!" She yelled and slammed her fist onto the bar. "What do I do?"

Daniel looked at her and again gave a robotic smile, "We have all types of alcohol. Gin, rum, vodka, beers.... Take your pick." He wasn't programmed to solve a problem like this. The best way to solve a problem in his mind was to get a drink.

"I'm not thirsty," Sam rolled her eyes as she got up and strutted off into the other areas of the spaceship. She discovered a track, a swimming pool with a connected hot tub, some areas closed off to "authorized personel only," a cafeteria with vending machines to pick the food item, a gym, and multiple bedrooms. She picked a bedroom that looked like this: (the walls could be changed to look like whatever scene she preferred: waterfall, ocean, or the actual space around her are some of the examples).
749.jpg

Last edited:
Jim Hawkins
Jim stood up awkwardly from the pod he was situated in, he was still groggy from hypersleep and not exactly sure where he was. As his vision cleared, he looked around and saw that he was the only one awake. Every person in the pods around him was still asleep. "No there have to be some other people awake" he said to himself. As he checked around the entire pod area, he was relieved to see that at least one other pod had been open. At least he wasn't alone here.

He began wondering around the ship, not having finished his sweep because he figured, maybe they just needed a handful of people awake for maintenance or a social experiment. He explored the gym, the swimming pool and hot tub, a lavish VR gaming set up, something to come back to later, and eventually made his way down to the bedrooms. He figured this was his best shot of running into someone human, so he shouted "Hello?!! Is anyone else awake? I know I cant be the only one right?!!" And waited for a response....

Sam perked up when she heard someone ask if anyone was there. She walked out of her bedroom and looked to her right, seeing a man standing there with a completely lost look on his face. She slowly approaches him, hoping he wasn't a robot like the bartender she met earlier.

"Um, hi, are you real?" She asked right off the bat. She didn't want to get her hopes up again so she wanted to clear up the confusion. She scans him up and down. Well, he looks human... She thinks to herself.

Jim's brow furrowed in confusion at the woman's odd question. "Um... last time I checked I was real. The names Jim, nice to meet you." He extended his hand for a handshake and said "So have you seen anyone else up and around?"

Sam shook his hand lightly and quickly pulled away. "No... We weren't supposed to wake up..." Her words drifted off. She casted her eyes down to the ground and starting walking towards the bar, motioning for him to follow her. "I ran into this guy, his name is Daniel. He's the one who told me it was impossible to be up right now. He wasn't much help in figuring out why we are though," She sat down at the bar and ordered an apple-tini. "Might as well grab a drink. How long have you been up?" She asked. Daniel finished making the drink and slid it towards her. She takes a sip and gazes at Jim.

Hearing this Jim's eyes widened. "Wait what?!! We're not actually supposed to be awake right now? I just figured it was some sort of experiment or something..." Her nonchalant response to the whole situation threw him off a bit "Um I mean I've only been awake for about half an hour maybe. You seem remarkably calm about all this. Shouldn't we try to, I don't know, find one of the robots in charge of the pods and ask it how to put us back to sleep?"

Sam rolled her eyes, taking another sip of the drink. "I just tried asking one," pointing to Daniel. "He said it was impossible that we were awake and then offered me a drink. I decided I should take up his offer." She shrugged and kept continuing to sip her appletini.

Daniel blankly stared at Jim. "Well, Jim, would you like something to drink as well? I'm sure you don't want this pretty lady drinking all by herself." His smile was distant and fake. Sam was pleased with the compliment, but was still irritated that she was awake. With 20 years to go.

Jim just stared, dumbfounded by this strange woman and her lack of urgency in trying to fix their current situation. But as he thought about it, if one of the robots doesn't know what's happened, why should any of the others.... and at that point he realized he'd been standing there with his mouth open like an idiot for about two minutes, and quickly sat down.

"Rum and Coke, please" He asked their robotic bartender. "Coming right up sir!" As the bot ducked under the bar he turned to face this odd woman "So... My names Jim. Jim Hawkins, what's yours?"

"Rum and coke... Nice choice. I'm Samantha, but I go by Sam," Sam stuck out her hand as a nice gesture. She didn't really know what else to do... toast to being awake 20 years too early? Probably not the best idea so the handshake was good enough.

As she sipped on her drink, she kept making glances at Jim. Well, at least he's cute. She smirked to herself. "So, what did you do back on earth? Did you have a job or anything?" She was trying to make small talk but didn't know if it was working well or not. What else are people supposed to talk about on a space ship orbiting towards a planet never explored? The weather?

He took her hand and shook it firmly. "I worked in architecture, designing buildings and such. I'm actually on here because they needed help designing homes for the new world we're headed too... guess I'll have plenty of time to think up designs." He tried to laugh off that morbid thought.

The waiter finally handed him his drink and as he sipped he snuck a glance at Sam. She's pretty attractive, who knows? This might not be so bad after all. "So what about you Sam? What made you decide to leave earth for the new world?"

"I was never satisfied there," Sam's response was noticeably short, so she decided to add a small back story. "I mean, I had a great life, a good job, a loving family... but I always felt like I was missing something, you know?" She didn't know why she was telling him all this, it must have been the alcohol getting to her head a little bit. "I was a photojournalist. I got to travel the world, which was amazing, but now I'm exploring other worlds which is even better." Her excitement only lasted a minute, quickly remembering that they had woken up so early before the ship was supposed to land.

"Photojournalist huh? Fun stuff, sorry it wound up like this. Although if it makes you feel better, space is looking very photogenic right now." Jim was never very good at small talk, he mentally slapped himself for that stupid comment.

"Or you know, this ship has a lot of interesting locales, maybe you could get some practice there. Like a Photo Documentary or something to show the captains what went wrong so they can fix it if they ever try this again."

"Yeah, I would like to do that if I can find a camera around here somewhere. I'm sure they have one, what else would I have done on the new planet right?" Sam eventually finished her drink and waited as Jim finished the rest of his.

"Well, why don't we look around and see if we can find someway to go back to sleep. I found some control rooms but I don't have access," Her eyes casted down to her bracelet. Jim was wearing one, too. The bracelets allowed them to get food from the cafeteria and open the door to their bedroom. "I already tried my bracelet, it doesn't work. I doubt yours will either." Sam shrugged. She wasn't much of a problem solver, she just took really good pictures and wrote about them. How was she supposed to figure out what was wrong with the ship?

"I'm glad you're awake, too," She started and quickly added, "I mean, I'm not HAPPY you're awake. I didn't mean that selfishly but I'm lucky that the one other person that did wake up was an architect. You probably know more than I do about fixing things..." She totally messed up there. She was tripping over her words as she spoke as if she was nervous around Jim or something.

"Anyways," she continued, trying to change the subject. "I'll show you where the control rooms I found are. Probably won't be able to do much but maybe you'll have an idea." Sam led Jim to a few of the control rooms, one on every floor. She didn't know if others existed but was doubtful due to the fact that she had examined most of the ship already.

As he was led around to each of the control rooms, he tried his bracelet on the doors. Each one would blare out "ACCESS DENIED" after the third floor he figured it was a lost cause. "If it hasn't worked by now it's probably not going to. Not exactly sure what I'd be able to do anyway. I just design buildings I'm not a techno wizard." He winced, his words sounding harsher then he intended them to sound.

"I mean, I use computers a lot in my work so I'd probably be able to look up what happened, but if there was any hacking involved, I wouldn't know what I was looking at. Anyway, we should probably find something to do since we're pretty much stuck here. Any hobbies you have that they might have access to hear?" He said with a smile he hoped would cheer her up.

"Yeah, I understand," Sam nodded her head towards the direction to the swimming pool. "They have a swimming pool here. I'm not like some crazy athletic swimmer but I think it's fun!" She stated, smiling over at Jim. She wouldn't mind seeing him shirtless. He seemed like he would have a pretty nice body. She hasn't seen a man shirtless since she's been back on Earth so she felt like she was missing out.

"There are probably some bathing suits in our closets. Do you want to go change and then meet me at the pool?" Sam asked and quickly walked to her room, finding a cute black bikini and slipping it on, putting a large t-shirt over it. She slid some flip-flops on her feet and headed out to the pool. It seemed like she made it there before him, so she jumped in and swam to the end of the pool.

The pool was like infinity pools on Earth, except there was glass between the water and space. When Sam swam to the edge of the pool, she felt like she was going to float off into space. The leaned up against the glass, staring at the unending abyss of stars and galaxies. She was amazed at the sight.

"Sure, I'll meet you there." Jim was always a good swimmer, and wouldn't mind taking a dip. First thing he did though was find a room of his own to settle down in before finding a pair of cool scarlet red swim trunks, slipping them on and heading back to the pool area.

As he approached he noticed Sam already in the pool, even though most of her was concealed underwater, the man could tell he liked what he saw, he always tried to maintain a good image but he wasn't like a supermodel of a man. Seeing the chance for some mischievous fun, he walked back a few feet from the deep end of the pool, took and running start and leaped! "Cannonball!" He yelled before splashing into the water.

While he was down underwater, he took a minute to float underwater before resurfacing. As he emerged he slicked back his short brown hair, keeping his bangs out of his eyes, and just floated for a while, basking in a luxury he hadn't had in months when he was back on earth.

Sam jumped up, turned around, and laughed. And it wasn't one of those cute laughs that girls do when they were trying to be flirty. It was one of those loud laughs that ended up in a snort. Then she started laughing again because she snorted. After a few moments of calming herself down, she swam over towards him. "Took ya long enough," She grunted and rolled her eyes. "You're worse than a girl."

She took his arm and dragged him towards the area she was at earlier, letting go when they got to the edge. "Look at this, I still can't believe we are seriously in space." She gasped at the beauty. There's a big difference between seeing stars on earth and seeing them in the sky. She didn't want to be too serious, so she turned around to face Jim. "I would say let's play marco-polo but that'd be pretty hard with just two people," she shrugged and laughed.

Jim snickered at her joke. The girl lacked manners but she was still very endearing. "Well we could try and play hide and seek, on a ship this big games could last forever." As he floated there, a dark thought crossed his mind. "Hey, I never found out, how early did we wake up? Are we a year early? 5 years? It's... something I need to know and come to terms with."

Back