Roaming Loners (1/1 With Enki)

The girl smoothed back and ran her fingers through the bouncy curls of her hair, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. Hearing him question her on her cooking skills, she nodded. "I worked with my father in a kitchen my whole life, it's just about one of the only things I did." She offered a somewhat half-assed smile, obviously still a little tender on the topic of her father, now that the idea of him dying has been pushed into her mind.

Feeling the less-warm breeze slow before stopping, she frowned gently, knowing her hair being heavier and thicker, it would just make her sweat and would fall with the heat. Knowing they had the time, she moved her hands back to part her hair into two sections, and begin braiding two tight, thick braids that would fall to just below her shoulders in length. Nikkole listened to the sound of the world that surrounded the two of them, the silence that fell like a thick fog over the world, allowing the tiniest of sounds to be heard; The scatter of a rat going across the old linoleum flooring, the caws of far-off birds, and other various sounds of nature, hard to explain; With the creatures that now roam the Earth from chems and radiation, nobody knew what could be making certain sounds.

Ryan nods, sighing. ''True, true... Have you had any hobbies? My hobby was hunting, which soon became my career at my... home.'' He said, soon looking off at the distance as the home is a touchy subject to him. ''Heh... Tell me, how big was your settlement that you used to live in?'' He asked moments later.

He listened to the atmosphere of the region for a while, the sounds of wilderness were somewhat calming to him. ''It's a beautiful atmosphere, isn't it? You never know what is going to attempt to kill you next. The sounds these days can't be much help except with feral ghouls and the like. I did not expect to see myself get used to the sounds. Most likely due to be being unable to sleep with the sounds around me.'' Ryan said, sighing.''Do you happen to have any questions to ask?'' He decided to ask to keep the conversation going.

"Thirty people or so. Mostly everyone being descendants of the first people in the vault. There were some that joined the little settlement after a bit, but it never got too big." She did not speak too much, watching the broken window that had opaque spots of drying ghoul blood. "Hobbies? I never really got to develop that many. I mean, I used to sketch if a merchant visited the settlement and had paper and some pencils or pens, but that was about it. I focused on working quite a bit, and it was usually a long day. My other free time was practicing hunting and I only got to draw when I stayed up very late, unable to sleep."

"It is a very lovely view sometimes, but the sounds... They were usually the reason I could not sleep. I could hear gunshots every once in a while, of those that patrolled the settlement to defend from raiders, ghouls, scorpions, and other creatures that wanted everyone dead." Nikkole heard his question, and glanced. "Where are you from? I mean, what's your history?"

Ryan nods to what was mentioned by Nikkole. He soon smiled when he heard that she practiced hunting. ''Ah, hunting. That is what I did for living at my settlement.'' He said, looking at the roof while thinking of the moments of joy of hunting and returning back to his living family, with his child running up to him and hugging him when ever he got back.''Back then we were a happy family...'' He said to himself, sighing as he shakes his head and looks back at the dead fireplace.''Oh well. Nothing good will ever last for long.'' He said.

Ryan nods to what she said. ''True. Neither can I get asleep during the nights. It has always been too loud for me to sleep for long.'' He said, sighing as she asked for his story.''...My story?'' He asked as he looks up at her, into her eyes.''I am a husband that was doing his job of hunting more food and fur. When I returned I found my settlement burnt to the ground, with my family no where to be found. It's been a year now and they are most likely captured and dead by now.'' He said as unemotionally as possible to avoid crying, though it was obvious from his tone in his voice that he was sad about it. He sighs as he looks at the dead fireplace once again.''You know, you are my first human contact in months, maybe even a year by now, that has not tried to kill me.'' He commented.

Back