Courage

Master of Courage
WARNING: This RP will have a mature theme due to violence.

History

Chaos Era

On a distant planet, not much different from Earth, a war broke out across the globe. Chaos erupted in the streets and governments fell, and the human race seemed hellbent on destroying the planet. Plant and animal life became all but extinct. From the ashes of what would be called the Chaos Era, a group rose to bring order back to the planet; Universe. With them at the reins, Earth came into a time of peace. Universe created their own police force know as Peace Keepers to keep the balance in the streets and their military forces to keep the world protected. They begin to provide jobs not just in the military but for scientists, teachers, medics, and so many others. Scientists have been able to clone animals and plants to begin repopulating the planet. All was well, until Universe began to change.

Beginning of Corruption
Universe has grown like a monster too big for the closet it hides in. They accept bribes, assassinate those who pose a threat to their power, and they control everything from the school system to the military. They've preformed human testing and have created the human subspecies known as Signs, super-humans who can control the four basic elements; Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. They begin to use Peace Keepers and Signs as a means of bullying others into submission. Many Universe members are trained in the art of war and assassination, becoming lethal living weapons. Tired of the inhumane ways they are being treated, Signs begin to escape Universe and go into hiding. Because of this, Universe begins to give the Signs bar-codes and a six digit number to keep track of them. Even so, more Signs flee the confines of Universe. Universe begins to trainer and send out Trackers to bring in renegade Signs, and assassins to get rid of "dangerous" Signs.

The Sparks of Rebellion
So many have grown tired of Universe and the harsh way they rule. From the corruption a rebellion has bloomed but they lack any form of direction or control. They set fires, start riots, in the process civilians are hurt and killed. Universe has begun to buckle down on the rebellion, Universe members are allowed to apprehend anyone they think may be involved in the rebellion. If the rebellion continues on their current course, they'll be wiped out without a second glance.
laurel-wreath--symbol-of-victory-and-achievement-vector-6334932.jpg

Rebellion Symbol

The Four Signs
Universe, while experimenting with making super-humans, created a serum that would react when the host's physical and mental states are put under extreme stress and give them control over one of the four elements. They began the "Sign Program" as a way to both recruit and force people to become Signs. They use different forms of torture they call "trials" as a means to achieve the needed results to produce this chemical reaction. Some candidates in the Sign program do not survive and those who do are changed forever chemically and even physically. Most are seen as less than human and are often persecuted by others.

If you haven't already make sure to visit and character sheet thread and fill it out before roleplaying
http://www.storytellerscircle.com/threads/signs-of-the-universe-characters.3221/

XXX
Setting: The city of Qretol, a large metropolis filled with a vast majority of people. You can go from the lowest slums to the richest here and everything in between. One of Universe's main head quarters are here and is comprised of five different buildings and compounds; the main building where many office staff work, people come here to apply for jobs and the "prestigious" Sign Program, and the different labs for each Sign group, all run by scientists working under one head researcher.

Head of Fire Sign research: Dr. Marshal Iker. Head of Water Sign research: Dr. Nicholas Klock. Head of Earth Sign research: Dr. Jazmine Grossett. Head of Air Sign research: Dr. Dominic Alers.

Late morning with dark clouds covering the sky with the threat of rain heavy in the air. Cars and public transports bustle by on the streets, everyone always in a rush to get where they need to go. Everything seems oddly normal and calm but there's a tension hanging in the air.

Last edited:
In a lower part of the city, not quite the slums but not at all well off, Rev breathed heavily as she jogged down the sidewalk, her pony tail bobbing behind her. Despite the cold chill in the air, she had a thin sheen of sweat across her body and her orange long sleeve running shirt had a few sweat marks on it. Weaving between people, she rounded the next corner, taking a brief second to glance down at her watch.

She couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. There was a heavy ball in her stomach and a voice in her head just telling her to go home and stay there for the rest of the day. You're just being paranoid, as per usual. She thought to herself. Shaking her head back and forth, Rev looked back up just in time to stop herself from almost running into someone. Letting out a curse she spun on the ball of her foot to avoid the collision and slowed to a stop a few steps from the person. "Sorry." She panted.

"Of course you are." The person replied, not wasting the opportunity for a snarky comment.

Dagger was not in a good mood today. He was hardly ever in a good mood, but today he had either woken up on the wrong side of the bed, had even lower blood sugar than he'd thought, or he was predicting a horrible omen. No matter what the cause of his bad feeling, however, it could not stop him from getting what he needed done, done. So he was out and about, despite everything he may wish otherwise.

And of course, today out of all days, he almost gets flattened by his coworker. He knew well enough of Rev, they would occasionally exchange words over the bar of the... ahem, establishment... they both worked at. She would make the drinks, he would take them to the lazy slimeballs who were too lazy to wait at the bar. He was one of the best servers there, since he was the only one who didn't stop to look at the entertainment.

The extra layer of discomfort now tossed upon his soul aside, he gave Rev another glance and asked "What are you even running for? Is it just some kind of exercise or is there something I should know?"

Rev arched a brow, placing her hands on her hips as recognition set in. She knew Dagger, had actually been one of the people to help their boss decide to hire him. All that "co-worker" business aside, she didn't appreciate his attitude considering she was 8 years his senior. Though, his snarky attitude didn't quite flare her anger as it would have with most other people.

"First, watch the attitude. Second, yes its for exercise." Rev said. "Even if it wasn't for exercise, I doubt you'd be able to keep up. I suppose I could use you for bait for whatever is chasing me." She said with a small smirk, never missing the chance to irritate people she knew. She nodded towards him. "What are you doing out?" She asked, genuinely curious.

Dagger flat-out rolled his eyes when his attitude was called out. He only toned down the sharpness of his tongue in situations where he had to, in order to keep himself from getting fired. He was off-duty now, and had almost been run over. His response had been only natural.

But for the sake of avoiding a brawl in the middle of the sidewalk, he decided to keep the rest of this conversation as civil as he could. Let her brag about her running speed, he already knew he looked like he was completely incapable next to her. He was fine with the assumption, it helped him stay under the radar. When he was posed a question, however, he glanced off at the direction he'd been heading in before all this had started, and said "I was getting groceries. I'd been putting it off, and now there is nothing left in my apartment. I figured our bosses wouldn't want me passing out in the middle of a shift."

That had almost happened once or twice, actually. He'd hid it the best he could each time, but he dreaded to think what would happen if he actually did just drop one day... And his stomach was already in knots. Great.

Seth surveys the bar through the windows of the kitchen door. He glides toward the table awaiting their order with a tray atop his hand. The quiet murmur of a few other costumers mixed in with a jukebox playing a slow country rock song. Seth stops in front of the table and stares at one of the costumers a few seconds too long before wordlessly sliding various bottles and glasses onto the table then nodding and moving back to the kitchen to fulfill another order.

As he reaches the kitchen door he hears a loud crash "What the hell is this did you piss in this beer" said a red-faced, oily haired man in an expensive looking coat. The bar becomes silent, All attention now on the vandal "I paid good money for this drink and you water it down. Hey, everyone this place waters down their beer I demand a refund" he says as he hurls a bottle at the bartender. A thin man dressed in a tight black vest and white shirt puts his arms up in defense from behind the bar with an embarrassed smile "No need to make a commotion Sir you can have your money back".

By this time Seth had walked behind the man, His knuckles white as he grips his tray tightly onto his chest. He glares at the back of the man's skull as if the intensity of his stare could cave in his skull. The bartender as he hands the man some money notices Seth and panics "Uhh Seth why don't you go take a break didn't you have a test coming up some I'll just call you down if I need you" Trying his best to smile given the circumstances. The red-faced man turns to the front door bumping into several costumers along the way.

Seth rushes into his room upstairs from the bar. He pulls a piece of wood from the floor to reveal a hidden space with a bow and metal arrows, bolts, needles and various bottles. Seth pulled the bow out along with a quiver with some arrows. He took a gray and rust colored cloak from his closet then threw open his window jumping onto a nearby rooftop.

A drunk red-faced man stumbled into an alley before unzipping his pants and relieving himself onto a wall. Thud there was suddenly an arrow sticking from the man's chest he tried to scream but could only let out a wet gargle. Seth drops down from a low roof and makes his way over to the thrashing body which he observes with indifference ."Inch to the right. Your heart" He says straight-faced matter of factually "Shot your lung. Cut the Trachea. Lungs filled with blood. Slow death." The emotionless figure pulls out a knife then makes its way towards the bleeding body "Not enough. Almost harmed James" He said monotone but his lips curled slightly

When Seth felt content about his work he starts prepping the body taking the money and making small cuts to look like there was a struggle. He looks upon his work and smiles. He hasn't had this opportunity in years but he just felt something in the air. Although he tried to rationalize this event as him protecting his guardian he learned a lot about human organs first hand feeling as if he gained a lot from today. Seth climbs onto the rooftop and makes his way back home

Last edited:
A frown crossed Rev's face at Daggers words. She'd always kept an eye on the young adult, worried about his health. Sighing, she rubbed the back of her head. "Well, if you're not in a rush, how about I buy you a late breakfast?" She offered, placing her hands back on her hips. She'd admit she was worried about him. Kid looked like he was wasting away. "As an apology." She added. "And before you say no, I'm not going to take that as an answer."

Dagger was literally opening his mouth to refuse by the time Rev started insisting. He knew pride would likely be his downfall, but he hated taking charity from others. Even if it was well-warranted, or well-meaning like this instance. He was more the type to give the charity, anonymously, and then let himself be forgotten. But he knew Rev just well enough to shut his mouth when she insisted. She was just as stubborn as he was, but also had the advantage of being older, and more influential at their workplace. It would not do him well to argue.

"Fine." He sighed at the woman, hiding his genuine discomfort but not his snark. "If you insist. But I am not letting this favor go unreturned, I hope you know."

Rev beamed when he relented and accepted. She noted his comment about not letting the favor going unreturned and choose to ignore it. He had nothing she wanted nor needed and he couldn't force her to accept anything so. "Great!" She said and clapped him on the back. "I know this great little diner. Best pancakes in the whole city." She said.

Turning on her heel, Rev led the way down the street. "So, got any hobbies?" She asked. This was really the first time she had a conversation with him outside of drink orders and she was...nervous? You are seriously a trained assassin, able to turn a man's brain into a hard boiled egg, and you're nervous about talking to someone? Gods, seriously? She thought to herself with a scowl.

Dagger had to fight the urge to flinch when Rev smacked him in what was supposed to be a friendly manner. He hated being touched, especially in places where it was hard to defend himself, but this was already awkward enough so he did not need to make it worse. Survival instincts were a bitch to supress, but he managed to only show it in the way his face scrunched up when Rev started walking away.

And then she started trying to make conversation. Like, real, small-talk level conversation. He did not hold these types of conversations, he hadn't really had one for... Wow, he could not even remember how long it had been. It figured, given he hadn't really had the incentive to talk about himself since he was six years old. At least he didn't have to look her in the eye until they made it to whatever diner she was taking him to.

"I don't have many." He ended up replying to her, keeping the answer as simple and impersonal as he could. "I can only assume jogging is one of yours?"

River kept to the back corner of the club, joint, whatever, nursing her bottle of crisp beer. She faced away from the stage, where she had taken one look at the girl dancing on it and had downed half of her drink in one gulp.

The week before, that girl had come in the clinic for a routine HIV test. The results had yet to arrive from the lab.

River knew she should have left the moment she saw the girl--she tried to avoid running into patients in daily life--but she hadn't been to a bar like this since med school, and somehow a shitty strip bar seemed like the perfect place to spend her evening off. No one would think to find her here, and it was the kind of place the lights were too dim to really be able to notice a person's face. She was hidden in plain sight.

But she kept her blouse buttoned and tried on her best don't-you-dare scowl, and she'd had luck being left alone so far. It seemed most of the men were busy with something else at the moment. Two somethings, judging by the number of wolf whistles.

An intoxicated customer was howling about something or other, and she heard a loud crash, but she was honestly now too buzzed to really notice or care. Out of the corner of her eye, she sees a man go upstairs, where she assumed only staff could go. Not paying it much mind, she set down her empty bottle and stood up. Fumbling with her jacket, she stood up, took a deep breath, and slipped out the front door.

River's head felt cloudy, but it wasn't unpleasant, as she made her way down the street, using the wall fence as a support. She felt dizzy, but she knew where she was and what she was doing, so she kept walking. She knew she was headed towards a diner. As a doctor, she should have eaten before she left her apartment, but she was too upset at the time to care. Now she wished she did care, as her stomach growled.

Then she stumbled, and there was a terrible sting in her knee and on her chin, and she realized she was on concrete. As she tried to get up, she rocked forward and lost her balance again, so she instead turned to look at her leg, rolling her jeans up to her calf. It was her knee that she hurt, but there was already a stream of blood down to her ankle. River wasn't fazed by the sight, and just sighed in annoyance as she reached for her purse. She dug around, but couldn't find the first-aid kit she usually packed with her. Either she had somehow left it at home or was too drunk to find it.

Frustrated, she pressed her palms to her knee to slow the bleeding. What a sight she must be; a doctor unable to treat her own damn kneecap. She scooted to the wall, wincing as her leg moved, and prepared to drag herself up.

Last edited:
Seth sneaks his way back into his room through the window where he hides his bloody clothes changing into something cleaner before cleaning his knife. The adrenaline had drained from him and he was... Bored. His stomach growls and he decides to make his way back into the kitchen where A woman with graying hair and crows feet is busy reading a list in front of some ingredients. Nearby a boiling pot. Jacqueline looks at him with a bright smile "Hey Seth" she says. Seth looks at her plainly "Nothing to do. Will help. What is needed." he says.

"Ohh well we're running out of shepherds pie so I'm making some more for the customers" replied his mother. Without a word Seth puts on an apron then gets to chopping some ingredients holding the handle of the knife in one hand with a thumb and forefinger on the blade and the other placed on the other end for stability. Under a minute there is a pile of carrots and onions some finely chopped some in cubes. He gives Jacqueline the carrots and some onions so she can work on the potatoes then Seth sauteed some onions with some oil. Once the onions are clear Seth adds some ground beef, ketchup, and some broth.

He cooks it until the beef is brown then pours it into a casserole dish spreading an even foundation. His foster mother comes from behind him and adds a layer of mashed potatoes then a layer of mashed carrots before topping it with some cheese. Once everything is placed Jacqueline brings the casserole dish into an oven "Thanks" she says. "Going to go help James. Tell me once pie is finished" Seth says before going out of the kitchen waiting tables and sweeping floors.

Last edited:
(Realized that I should have said bar whoops)

Rev shrugged at Dagger's question as she rounded another corner. "One of few." She said. "Probably my favorite." Then she turned her head slightly to look at him with an arched brow. "Also, 'Don't have many' still means you have some. I'm not about to share a meal with you in silence because that'd be even more awkward than small talk." She said before looking back ahead of her.

Though eating by herself was normal, over the years of solitude, the silence became too much. Which was why she'd made Program. A slight smile crossed her features as she thought about the little vermin of a robot.

"I'm not an ideal guest for either." Dagger replied, scowling lightly at Rev when she turned to look at him. "If that's what you offered me a meal for, prepare to be disappointed."

He kept up the scowl for a few more moments, then realized it was getting him nowhere and sighed. "I honestly do not do much outside of work. I read if I have the time, but other than that it's exactly what you already know of me."

At least, it was everything he ever planned on telling anyone. No one needed to know how much time he dedicated to keeping up with his self-defense skills, or how often he tried to improve his control over abilities he was never properly trained for. The last thing he ever needed was for people to think of him as anything more than a grumpy bookworm. He was fine with being considered that, he would like nothing more than to just be considered that for the rest of his life.

The pain fading to a all ache, Dana hoisted herself onto her feet, content that she was able to put weight on the leg. The pain had sobered her up slightly and she continued down the street with a hand to the wall. She thought she heard voices, and being a sensible modern woman who can't outrun anyone in her current state, proceeded with suspicion and hid herself in the shadows as she neared the caff. There was a woman she recognized from another time she had been at the joint, but someone else, a man, who had her back to her. Not pegging them as potential threats, she slowly approached them. Surely one of them had a spare tissue she could use to wipe away the blood. Or something. She was drunk, anyway.

"Excuse me?" she called out, her voice clear to garner attention from either. "Would either of you happen to have a hanky? I've had a bit of a fall."

Rev was about to say something when a woman approached them. Scowling slightly she turned to the woman with an arched brow. She vaguely recalled seeing this woman at one of the local bars. Wow, drinking this early in the morning? What ghosts are you running form, lady? She thought to herself before sighing inwardly. You have n room to judge. "Um, let me see." She said to the woman before digging around in her pockets. Scowling again, Rev shook her head. "I don't have one. Mind if I take a look at the cut?"

Dana shook her head. "I'm a doctor, that won't be necessary." She slurred her words, but she was almost home. Food would have to wait, she couldn't be drunk in public. She turned to leave. "Sorry to bother you."

As she walked clumsily down Qretol's streets, Robin didn't worry about where she was going or where she wasn't looking. She was currently devoting all of her brainpower to staying awake, and to a lesser extent, remembering how to get from the Birds and Bees flower shop to the Thanks a Latte cafe. At this point, she was fueled only by spite and desire for coffee.

She had been up all night, kept awake by her lungs trying to kill her. At least she wasn't alone; her incessant coughing had kept her cat up, too. She had never hated having work at 5 AM more than this exact moment.

She had managed to disguise her bone-deep exhaustion well enough during her shift, but it was her lunch break and she didn't have to pretend anymore. She had plans to order as much coffee as possible and drink it all before she had to go back to work. If she didn't have any genuine energy, she could replace it with caffeine.

That promise of liquid heaven was guiding her more than her eyes were, which is why she didn't notice the woman in her direct path. Bumping into her finally snapped Robin out of her daze. She stumbled back, and noticed that the woman had a bleeding cut on her knee.

"Oh, sorry! Uh, are you alright? I have band-aids if you need one!"

She preemptively started rummaging in her purse, suddenly feeling awkward about her mask (familiar territory, really). Now that she was a bit more awake, she had the mental faculties to be self-conscious. She knew exactly how strange she looked, and tried not to worry about that.

Chojin woke up to see that his alarm has been going off for an hour "dang im late" he said out loud. He then jumped out of bed and ran into his living room where there was a small tv and a VHS connected to it while picking up a VHS tape. Chojin place the tape into the VHS and turn on the TV to see his favorite TV show OHranger while singing the theme song "Dash Dash Ohranger Dash Dash Ohranger" the TV then began to shake and wobble "crap" Chojin said as he got up and walk down to his basement where his Lab was.

Back