Smugglers Cove (Love2write and Silence)

Finally it was time that Killian could be released from the hospital. When they got home he walked to his chair and sat down cautiously. His stomach still hurt half the time, but it wasn't anywhere close to the fear that he felt for Claire. What happened to her? By now it was 5 days and she was still gone. Nobody had heard anything at all. What if they had moved her? Maybe they were taking her into the slave trade. It was horrific and Killian knew there wasn't anything he could do to help her now. There were no leads that he knew of.

When his wife walked into the living room he pushed out of the chair and walked over to hold her. "We'll find our baby girl and I'm going to kill the man that took her." Carefully pushing her back he stared into her eyes. "Gonna get healed up and I'll do whatever it takes even if I have to be a monster to do it." There was nothing he wouldn't do. "Star," lifting her chin he searched her eyes again. "Listen to me. We will get her back."

Anna gathered the men in the task force around a table. "We've got a port outside the house. What I need is for men to guard that. If they're gonna make a run that will be the place. Rest of us will surround the main exits and we have to make a simultaneous break in." It was in the dead of night and the man shouldn't be expecting them. By now he was probably comfortable. At the very least secure and thinking that he wouldn't be caught or found.

"Go." Anna gave the men her orders and she watched from a distance with Kato. He had managed to at least talk her out of storming the house. It was just barely sitting across the channel from one of the major ports. Her heart had sunk. If Claire wasn't here she could be anywhere in the world, galaxy, system, or any of the neighboring systems. Chances of getting her back were slim. They were slim even now. Gunshots sounded from inside the house and Anna jumped slightly. Looking over at Kato she couldn't help the worry from showing in her face. What if this was it? Maybe there was a stray that hit the girl and maybe she wasn't even there. Perhaps Claire was already dead or if they were lucky she would be there in the house.

A voice on the intercom crackled. "You better come see this."

Racing forward Anna tore from Kato's arms and she charged into the house. There were pictures of Claire all over the place and one that showed her in a slave's wear at a market. Then tacked to the wall were several other pictures. Each picture was a picture of the other children and finally Star. A small letter was left taped next to Star's picture. "When they're all gone what do you have left?"

"No." Anna breathed out softly and she left the house with her shoulders slumped and in complete defeat. Taking a picture of the wall she sent it to Star's pad. "This is all we got. Far as we know Claire was sold."

It took all Kato's strength and persuasion to convince Anna to stay behind when the agents charged into the house. He had little hope for them finding her alive. But, if they could at least find her body they could give Star and Killian some closure. No doubt they'd be devastated. Too bad there wasn't more they could do. As the gun fire faded one of the agents radioed Anna and she tore off like a bat out of hell towards the house. Kato followed behind, though no as quickly. His eyes widened and bile rose up in his throat at the wall before him. It was sick. Whoever had done this was sick and perverted. He looked over at his wife who was taking a picture. She'd been right. As always. This was about revenge.

Star looked up at Killian as he lifted her chin, promising that they'd find her. No matter what. Even if he had to become a monster again. She shook her head. "No...don't...don't say that. I wouldn't want you to ever become that person again." She clutched his shirt, head falling to rest on his chest. Her eyes had dark rings under them, her eyes dull from hopelessness. Then her pad went off. Upon seeing that it was Anna she snatched it up and hurriedly opened the message that had been sent.

Upon seeing it her eyes went wide and filled with tears. "No..." She shook her head. Killian took it from her hands as she began to panic. "Who would do this to us!? Why do they want to destroy us!?" She wailed, her fists clenching. At the least Claire was alive, which meant they still had a chance to find and save her. "The other kids, Killian!" Star grabbed his arm tightly. "We need to hide them. He's after them too."

A surge of panic ran through Killian. It was his entire family. He saw the picture and he seemingly froze in place. The entire world stopped for that moment in time. Suddenly Star was grabbing his arms and he looked at her with an almost blank stare. "Nobody's heard from Mikey today." Usually he called by now. It was the first day out of the hospital and the kids were all travelling home. They should have heard from Mikey and he was usually good about calling when he got home. "Star hurry and call the kids. We're gonna meet them in my larger ship and pick them up. Tell them to keep moving in their shuttles and circle the area we're gonna meet if they have to. I'm gonna go get the ship ready."

Whatever was happening he was determined to stop it. Killian rushed out of the house holding onto his stomach. He walked as fast as he could toward the pad and his underground garage for the larger ship. There had to be some way to stop the cycle and he was still determined to get Claire back. When he was almost to the pad he noticed a figure walking the lane toward the house. They were going after Star! All he did was step out to get a ship. They were watching his every move and they made sure he was close enough to be in agony and yet not nearly close to save them. Scrambling for the main ship he got it started and called Star on the communications. "Star someone is headed for the house. Just stay calm and try to fight them off. I'm coming."

************************************************************************************

Anna was sick to her stomach. What if they had found the man faster. Obviously he was good and he made sure she found this place, but it was after he prepared it. When they got home she flopped into her chair. "Kato I'm so sick of being wrong. I didn't want them to kill Claire, but I couldn't find him fast enough. He wasn't even holding her. Never did and instead I got my hopes up that we could at least find her. Now she's god knows where."

Dropping her head into her hands she cried for a good couple of minutes. "I wasn't good enough and I've never failed in my job so miserably. Maybe I am getting too old." Brushing her curls that had begun to go gray at the base she lifted her head again. "I'm gonna make dinner." Turning the tv on to the news she hoped would distract her and instead there was something very interesting.

"Today there were 3 more kidnappings reported. The only link police have found is relating to the war. Each of the families targeted fought in the war and now their children are paying for it." The man broadcasting displayed a note on the screen. "This reads: Sins of the father shall be visited upon their children." A curious note and threatening. All suspicious activity is to be reported to the police immediately. This is a public warning and thank you for your time." Before the small broadcast could finish Anna met Kato's eyes. "Its not just Killian and Star. They're just one family of many. What about our boys? Where are they?"

Star had just finished calling all the children and leaving another desperate voicemail for Mikey when she got Killian's call.
"Star someone is headed for the house. Just stay calm and try to fight them off. I'm coming."
"Who's comi...?" Her question was interrupted as pulse grenade knocked her off her feet, sending her flying across the room. Star rolled to a stop, stunned by the unexpected blast. Her ears were still ringing when a shadow began approaching through the haze in her eyes, and the smoke in the living room. Get up, get up, get up! She pushed to her feet, standing shakily as the man reached for her. She smacked his hand away and punched him squarely in the face, almost smiling as he howled in pain. Star skirted around him and sprinted upstairs, blinking rapidly as her vision and hearing slowly came back into focus. There was a gun under the bed, if she could just get to it.

Star was three steps from the top of the stairs when something sharp hit her lower back. She yelped, falling against the railing as all the muscles in that area of her back seized up painfully, She looked over her shoulder to see her attacker preparing another bolt. Bastard wasn't about to take her alive. She pulled the nerve dart from her back throwing it to the side and she limped into her's and Killian's room. Dropping to the floor she reached under the bed and grabbed her energy gun. She pushed up into a sitting position and charged the weapon, aiming it at the door and prepared to shoot the intruder the moment he made an appearance. She heard his breathing, heard his footsteps, saw his shadow cross over the door frame. Her finger tensed on the trigger. But the coward, instead of facing her head-on, threw another grenade into her room. It rolled to Star's side. Her eyes widened and she snatched it up, throwing it back out the door. It barely cleared the door-frame when it exploded and everything when dark.

The first thing Star noticed when she regained consciousness was how everything hurt. Especially her chest. No doubt a few ribs were bruised badly or cracked. She blinked her eyes open and raised her pounding head, her body sitting limply against the bed. Her attacker lay in a pool of blood, on the other side of the door. She had no doubt that final blast would've killed her too had it not been for her chip-enhanced bones protecting her vital organs. Even still it felt like she'd be run over by a truck a few times. No doubt she'd be covered in bruises within the hour. At least she were alive. Star thought she heard Killian yelling her name from downstairs but the ringing in her ears was making it near impossible to hear anything else aside from her own erratic heartbeat. She chin dropped back onto her chest wearily, her brain teetering on the edge of consciousness. Her thoughts wandered to her children. Claire, Mikey, Zach, Donica, Dominic...she had to protect them. This monster would not win. We'll find you, Claire. Mommy's coming. She's not going to stop till you're free.

****************************************************************************************************

Kato held Anna as she wept and blamed herself for what had happened. "You can't blame yourself, Anna. You did everything you could." His poor attempt at a pep-talk didn't seem to help much and she got up to fix the dinner instead. He sighed and shuffled over to his pill tray to take his evening medicine as she prepared dinner. He had a variety of vitamins and supplements that he made sure they took everyday to keep them strong an healthy. Recently though, another pill had been added to his own regimen. Heart medication to keep a recently developed heart murmur under control. He hadn't had a chance to tell Anna yet, what with Claire missing and Anna trying to find her. For now, it wasn't serious, just a side effect of his heart working overtime for so long to handle the chip-blood. Still, he knew Anna would begin worrying once she found out. Best to hold off from telling her as long as possible.

He looked up as Anna turned on the t.v. and the announcer began talking about several families missing children. Not just Star and Killian. It had to do with the war!? Kato's eyes widened as she looked over at Anna. The boys... He hurriedly grabbed his datapad and began calling them, praying they answered. Who would be doing this? Attacking families for a war 20 years past!?

Killian knew there was only so much he could do at this point. He would have wanted to charge after the man and neutralize him before he got to the house, but that was impossible in his condition. The good thing was that Star knew how to take care of herself. While the engines got warmed up he paced the ship in anxiety. It only took 1 minute on the fast setting. Using the fast setting was hard on a ship, but this was one of the occasions that warranted that kind of use. As soon as the ship was ready Killian slipped into the pilot's seat and he flew the ship to the base of the stairs outside the house. On his way out of the ship he locked it and then ran up the stairs as fast as he could.

Each step was getting increasingly difficult to run up and Killian held onto his stomach again. It was sore, not any excessive damage at this point, but there was a distinct feeling of jarring with every step that he took. "Star!" The house was a wreck inside and he started for the upstairs. From what he could see there was some debris leading up the stairway and there was even a slight hint of smoke as he stepped up the stairs. This time he was far more cautious. There wasn't any immediate out from the upstairs of the house. Star was smart and she knew that even if they caught her they would have to come back down. It might have been enough to save her. "Star!" Yelling again he still didn't hear anything from her. Instinctively he began to worry and his heart beat a little faster. Holding onto the railing with one hand he started to jog up the stairs and then he slipped a little on the stair.

Looking down at the stairs Killian saw a stream of blood that was beginning to cascade down the stairs and even some had managed to splatter against the walls. Killian had to swallow hard to keep from panicking. He just had to make sure it wasn't Star. Near just outside the doorway to their room he saw a mangled body. It was beyond recognition and an involuntary shudder went through his body. "Star!" Yelling again he peered cautiously into the room and he saw her laying on the floor. Jumping over what remained of the other body Killian ran over to her side and began to pat her down checking for any obvious injuries.

"Just stay with me." Only a few seconds after he began to check her over he found himself hyper ventilating. Within seconds he couldn't decide if he wanted to finish checking her, run his hands through his hair, cover his mouth, pace, or just throw her over his shoulder. Instead his hands hovered in a sort of state of indecision. Killian managed to put his brain back together after he took a few deep breaths. "Ok..." Shakily he turned her over and checked Star the rest of the way before he picked her up. "I'm sorry. I know it hurts, but we have to get out of here now." Almost shaking the whole way down the stairs again he paused at the doorway and took a few deep breaths before stepping outside. There was no place to hide here and it had him worried. What if there were more men waiting for him and Star?

To be sure that they got to the ship faster he ran down the stairs and unlocked the ship. Once they were inside he ran a systems check to be sure they were alright. Whoever it was happened to be short staffed and they didn't plan on more than one man. Killian was still holding onto Star as he made his checks and then he set coordinates to where they were going to meet the kids.

Once it was all set to autopilot Killian rushed with Star back to the medical bay and he laid her on the bed. Peering down at her anxiously he reached into the drawer for a scanner with one hand and squeezed her hand with his other. "We're going to get the kids now and just stick with me for a few more minutes. Ok?"

Joseph had always been more quiet, but he always answered their calls. Ironically the one that would have gotten in the most trouble was the one ok in their family. Anna squinted her eyes as she thought as hard as she could. "Ok we need to get a ship, or maybe we can call Star and Killian to see if we can make a rendezvous to get picked up. First I'll check at the clinic for Joseph. If he's there I'll haul him out." She knew that Kato was more likely out of the two of them to get picked up just because he didn't know what to look for.

Turning the stove off she let the kettle sit. "Kato start making the phone calls and try to be in as public a place as possible. Got to a coffee shop or somewhere with lots of view so it would be hard for someone to just pick you up and take off." Limping toward her and Kato's room Anna snatched a jacket and she zipped it up as she rushed back toward the door. "I'll be talking with you and we'll make a 3 way call so we can keep track of Jacob too."

Star couldn't help crying out as he lifted her bruised body up off the floor. Everything hurt and him touching her was making it worse. Her head was pounding and the sudden lift made the world spin. She passed out again as he carried her down the stairs not waking up until he'd lay her down in the medbay.
"We're going to get the kids now and just stick with me for a few more minutes. Ok?"
"Not going anywhere." She replied with a weak laugh. She hated seeing his face all twisted with worry and pain like that. After 20 years she'd hoped they'd never have to suffer like this again. Now, here they were. Fighting for their lives and the lives of their children yet again. She glanced over at the computer as Killian finished scanning her. As she'd suspected she had several bruised ribs, two of them with hairline fractures, a concussion and plenty of bruises on the front of her body from the blast to keep her good and stiff for a few days. She squeezed his hand gently in return. "I'm ok. Get the kids. Find Mikey and Claire."

The extra datapad she kept in the ship started going off and she had Killian grab it for her. Kato's face appeared. He was in some sort of market place and he looked worried. "Kato?" She asked, frowning at him.
"Star! What happened to your face? Never mind...listen..." Kato shook his head, trying to keep the doctor part of him taking over. "Your family isn't the only one that got targeted. There several other family's whose children have gone missing. Its on the news. They are targeting the families of men who were in the war against the Gillicks. We were hoping you could come pick us up." Star glanced at Killian. "We still have to pick up our own kids. Mikey isn't answering his pad."
"Neither is Joseph." Kato added worriedly. "Anna's checking the clinic just incase he's in with a patient."
"Send us your cooridinates. We'll pick you guys up after we get our kids." Star hung up, closing her eyes as her head continued to pound. "This week can't get any worse. Ugh, I need some painkillers."

Mikey rested his head on his hand, his eyes and ears far from focused on the professor and his dull lecture on the history of technology. Claire had been gone for over a week. Sold into slavery!? It was horrible! His own big sister. And here he was trying to get back to life like normal. He should be doing something! Not sitting here!
"Mr. Laurlean! Are you paying attention!?" The professor suddenly called out from his spot at the podium.
Mikey glared as he looked up at the annoying man. "How can anyone pay attention to you? You sound like a drone and you go on as if you still had another 100 years to just talk!" He declared in sudden annoyance, getting up and grabbing his things. A wave of laughter followed him out he door. Hearing his arrogant professor stuttering as he left was very satisfying.

Mikey pulled out his phone and began texting his siblings. Mom and Dad may have given up on finding Claire, but I haven't. Let's get together and figure out how to find her. Even if it means going to the slave market our..."
Someone bumped into him from behind and he accidentally pressed send before he'd finished. "Hey." Mikey looked to his side grouchily.
"Oh, sorry." Another human apologized. "Should've watched where I was going. Hey, you're one of them Laurlean kids, aren't you?"
"What of it?" Mike asked in a suspicious tone.
"I've been looking for someone in your family! I have information that you'll most definitely want. If you're willing to pay for it that is." The man made an annoying looking half-smile.
"Yeah? What information is that?"
"Oh...the location of your sister." He shrugged.
Mikey suddenly grabbed the man's shirt and shoved him against a building, muscles rippling.
"Whoa! Easy now!" The man laughed. "We're in public ya know. I'm not looking for trouble. I just want to sell the information to you."
"You want to SELL me information that could save my sister's life!? You're a sick bastard! How about I beat it out of you." Mikey growled, tensing as a gun pressed against his side.
The man he held sighed and shook his head. "Like father, like son. Give it a few years and you'll be a beast just like him. Now...before you start getting all hot-headed and kill yourself, how about we take a walk to somewhere more...private. Move."

Mikey's datapad began to ring as they walked towards the edge of the campus and to the parking lot. "Dump the bag." The man ordered, pressing the gun harder against Mikey's kidney, causing him to wince. He pulled his backpack off his shoulder and dumped it next to a trashcan. "Where we going?" He growled as the man pushed him towards a nearby delivery truck.
"What? Didn't I tell you? To see your sister of course. My benefactor is very excited to meet your family." The man looked around before opening the back of the truck and gesturing for Mike to get inside. With little other choice he obeyed and the doors trapped him in the cold dark.

"You have a fever and an ache in your bones. Sometimes they tremble for no reason. Is that right so far?" Dr. Joseph asked his patient as the chip sat before him on the examination table. The chip nodded, looking weary and ill.
"Well, we all know those are the classic signs of the bone shakes but I'd like to run some tests before we make a final diagnosis." Joseph wrote something on his data-pad. "Alright, wait here for a few minutes. A nurse will be in to take some blood work and run you through some other tests."
"Thankyou, Sir." The chip nodded. Joseph smiled lightly and nodded his head before heading back out to the main desk.
"Dr. Joe?" A nurse stopped him. "There's an Inspector Larkin in the back office here to see you. Something about a surprise inspection on the clinic."
Joe groaned. "Crap. I hate surprise inspections. Why can't they ever come early in the morning when its not so busy." He passed his datapad to her and continued to the back office.
"Dr. Jones." The inspector stood, offering a hand. Unexpectedly, he was a fellow human.
Joe shook his hand. "Inspector Larkin. I was going to say your name sounded...human. What's a human Inspector doing working on Quillen, a chippequoti homeworld?"
"Well, ever since your family moved here with the Laurleans there have been more openings for other humans to do the same. The government thought that having a human inspect a human business would be better."
Joe shrugged. "Well, I'm only half human." He chuckled. "Um, so, shall we start. I still have alot of patients to see."
"Of course, Doctor. Let's start at the bottom and work our way up."
"Get the morgue out of the way first? Brilliant idea." Joseph chuckled.

He led the inspector downstairs the basement walking slowly to give the man time to look over everything. Joe unlocked the morgue door and pushed it open, going inside with Larkin following behind. As Joe examined the room for anything that might be out of place he felt an arm wrap around his throat and a needle puncture his arm. He struggled for a minute before everything turned black. Larkin watched the young man's body drop to the floor and shook his head. "So gullible. Didn't even ask me for my identification." Larkin lifted Joe up, dropping him onto a rolling examination table and covered him with a white sheet. Next he stripped off his jacket and put on the mortician's white coat. No one looked a man, wheeling a dead body, in the eyes. This was true even of the nurses and especially the patients as he pushed his prize through the halls and towards the door to a mortician's van waiting outside. He lowered his head upon seeing Anna Jones at the front desk demanding that the nurse tell her where her son was. "He went downstairs with an inspector a few minutes ago, but only authorized personal are allowed in the morgue. You'll have to wait here." The nurse replied calmly.
All the while Larkin was walking her son right past her and out the door. Urgency put a quickened step in his pace. She wasn't supposed to be here. There was still a small chance she could ruin this perfectly executed kidnapping.

A DAY LATER:

Mikey puked into the corner of the van again. Automotive travel had always made him motion sick. Being throw about in the back of a dark van was making that worse. Add to that the smell of his own sick and he was a hopeless mess. The van finally jerked to a stop and a moment later the back of the van flew open. He stood on shaky legs, prepared to fight. A knockout dart ended that plan where he stood. He fell to his knees, slowly blacking out. Behind his captures he glimpsed a small spacecraft. They were taking him off-planet!? And that was the last thought before the dart did its work.

When next he woke he found himself sitting in yet another vehicle. There was an uncomfortably tight collar around his neck. He reached up to touch it when it shocked him. He yelped, fully awake now and looked around at his captures. All of them...human. "What the hell is this!?" He demanded, receiving another shock for his outburst.
The human across from him held the remote. "You'll not talk unless spoken too. You will do nothing without our master's command."
"Who's your...ah!" Mikey yelped as the collar shocked him again. He grit his teeth, glaring angrily at the man and breathing heavily as nausea boiled up in his stomach again.

A few minutes later they rolled up to a gorgeous elaborate mansion with grounds and gardens that extended as far as the eye could see. His captures pulled him out of the van and towards the mansion. This place was enormous. Fellow humans with shock collars like him worked the grounds, tending to the gardens or various animals around the area. They all had the same sullen, hopeless looks. Hadn't the man said they were taking him to his sister? Mikey looked around anxiously for her.

He didn't have much of a chance too, however, as he was taken before a gillick, sitting a chair that looked suspiciously like a throne. The gillick smiled cruelly as Mikey was tossed before him and the loyal servant handed him the remote. "Another one of the beast's half-breeds." He chuckled. "Oh, this is turning out to be a very, very good month." The gillick stood. "I'm Kafus the 2nd. Your father brutally murdered my father...and he deserves everything that's coming to him."
"Are you the one attacking our family!?" Mikey spit at his feet.
"Ha! So full of fire. You would make a good fighter in the underground games." Kafus II chuckled. "But to answer your question, no. I am just the fortunate beneficiary of the spoils of that person's war against your family and many others. I paid a handsome price to collect you and your sister. And soon, the rest of your siblings will be mine as well. I look forward to the day where you and your half-blood siblings will stand before your parents, completely broken and loyal to me and slay them where they stand. The ultimate revenge."
Mikey's heart was pounding. Where was Claire!? Had they broken her already!? No...she hadn't been gone more than a week. But still...where was she?

Last edited:
"I already have the ship set for coordinates for the kids. We'll get them in a few minutes." Killian was reluctant to leave Star alone in the room, but he did go to get a pad for her to use. While he wandered in and out of the medical bay he collected weapons and a few other things that he hadn't used in a long time. Killian knew he had at least one of his old smuggling style vests and cargo pants in storage. They were little things he hadn't worn in years and that was in part because it had been his identity as a thief, murderer, and the beast. That part of his life was a small price to pay if it meant that he could get his kids back. Something about that message had haunted him since it was posted. If they were all gone he didn't have anything and he wasn't about to let that be the case. The family was the single most important portion of his life.

Just as he stepped back into the room with his pile of clothes and a few weapons, Killian noticed that Star was getting a little more pale looking. "Hey..." Setting the stash aside for the time he peered at her. "Ok we'll go get the Jones after this and I'll look for something for you." If he had remembered he would have had some of his own from the hospital to give her. For now the adrenaline was running an Killian hoped to keep it going for a while.

Pulling a cabinet open Killian stared at the needles for a long time before he scanned a package to give him an approximate dosage for Star. "Looks like you'll get about 1/3 of this and just so we don't waste it I'll clean it and save the rest for later." He knew that her bones had to hurt. While he thankfully hadn't suffered any bone damage this time his stomach was starting to ache. Carefully running the needle under her skin and into a vein Killian injected the 1/3 that he could and then set the syringe on a small table. Grabbing an alcohol wipe he cleaned the needle and turned the wipe over so that he could wrap the needle in it and keep it clean till the next use. "Don't move too much. I want you to be feeling better in a few days." It wasn't likely that Star would feel as chipper as she usually did in a few days, but he figured that it couldn't be helped and they would both be pushing it. Perhaps having Kato on board like the old days would be a good thing. "Get what's left of my crew on here. Eh?" Smirking a little he walked back over to where he had his things and started to strip down so he could get changed.

The look on Star's face was somewhat painful to see. After all these years Killian hadn't put on these old clothes or strapped a gun holster to a leg and one to his side. They were a long time past this kind of life and he knew she didn't want this version of him to return. "It was always me. Star, the only thing that changed was the clothing."

Wincing slightly he tightened the belt around his waist, otherwise his pants threatened to work their way down his hips. Didn't matter how well the pants fit. Killian had at least one problem in common with most men, his hip bones were not a prominent feature as they were on women. Stepping out of the medical bay he cautiously held one hand over his stomach and the various little incision marks that had been made to repair his innards after the stabbing. Sometimes it was problematic and he could only pray it would not become an increasingly worse problem with time.

Killian yelled over his shoulder at Star while he walked along through the corridors of the ship. "I'll just head out to the navigation room. Need to be making the scans and I'll have you dialed in so you can see what I'm doing."

Once he made it to the navigation room Killian turned on the communications so he could talk with Star and send messages to the kids. "Just getting ready to land and it looks like we've got an extra person. Its....Kyle? I mean Robert." Killian didn't know why he was suddenly doing so horribly with the name of Claire's boyfriend. "Anyway I'm landing and the ramp is dropping for the kids to load. Scanning the surrounding area he made sure it was only Robert, Danica, Dominic, Zack and his family boarding. Even if it was a somewhat larger ship than what he had when he smuggled this was likely going to be a crowd on board. Adding the Jones would only make it more cozy too. "On our way to pick up the Jones now."

Anna stared at the nurse half in disbelief and anger. "Oh I authorize myself thank you!" Quickly pushing past the other woman Anna raced as fast as she could for the morgue only to find herself surrounded by the security for the hospital, but not before she had peered into the morgue and seen that the room was empty. "My son is doctor Joseph Jones and I won't leave till you tell me where he is! This is serious." Struggling out of the guards grip she straightened her ruffled clothing and limped her way out of the hospital. It was such an undignified manner in which to present herself. Yet the little woman didn't know what else she could do about the situation.

Eyes narrowing slightly she saw a staff member of the hospital pushing a bed with a body outside. That wasn't normal practice in the least. He was too far off and she couldn't prove anything at all. Finally calling Kato in defeat she was nearly in tears. "I need you to come get me with Jacob. Joseph isn't here." If they staff saw him go into the morgue and he didn't come out it was all over. Either her youngest was gone forever or he was kidnapped the same as Claire.

When Kato arrived she did her best to wipe the tears from her eyes and be as brave as possible for Kato. There was nothing worse than realizing that she failed what she was best at. This was the second time and whoever was doing this happened to be very good at it. So good that they were always one step ahead. If she was going to catch up she would have to go through the hospital feeds to determine what was normal activity and then she could look for that odd man and determine if she could find some kind of link to her son. If that was the last man that was seen with her son then at least she would have a face to go with whoever was conducting this new kind of war. Maybe there would be some kind of connection to a ship and Star and Killian were good at tracking down other ships. Anna could work the engine room if she had some help.

The little woman almost melted into the doctor's arms. "Kato, I've never failed so badly as I have here. Its my family and I can't do anything to stop this from happening." Burying her head in his shoulder she finally lifted her eyes and stared into his. Obviously he was hurting to though it seemed he was holding himself together a little better.

Finally the Laulorin's ship landed and the ramp came out. Anna had Jacob go up the ramp first and then she started up it with Kato's arm wrapped around her shoulder. "Doesn't matter how old we are. I'll find a way to get to my boy."

It killed Star to be stuck in bed, nearly crippled in pain, while her children were out there somewhere, needing her. Claire, her precious Claire. She got sick every time she thought about her baby in slavery to god-knew who with who-knew what was being done to her. Tears streamed down her face and she swallowed down a painful sob as Killian rushed around the ship doing various takes. She needed her children to be safe. She just wanted them to be safe. A hand pressed against her bruised chest as a rib seemed to catch on her buried sobs, making it difficult to breath. Already she could see the discoloration of bruises forming on her arms and feel the stiffness in her face and body. She coughed, trying to loosen the tightness in her chest.

Killian hurried in a little later, coming to her side. He looked down at her tenderly, that worried expression in his eyes as he updated her on the situation. She simply nodded as he pressed the needle into her arm, coughing again, wincing at the pain.
“Don't move too much. I want you to be feeling better in a few days." He said to her kindly. Her lip twisted up in a tiny smile. She doubted she was going to be able to move much, even if she wanted to.

He left again, returning with the smuggler gear he used to wear. She couldn’t help the pained frown that came to her face upon seeing it. Honestly, she’d hoped to never have too. That outfit was a sign of harder times best worth forgetting. Had those days really returned? Killian seemed to think so, and it was clear he was trying to prepare against the worst. It was always me. Star, the only thing that changed was the clothing."
“I know.” She whispered softly, nodding her head and wheezing softly, her hand still pressed against her chest. At first she thought she’d been imagining it, now it was beginning to feel like it was getting difficult to breath. She nodded again as he hurried off to land the ship and kept her updated over the comms. Soon enough all her kids, minus Claire and Mikey rushed into the ship. She heard their feet stopping around as they chattered anxiously like the children they were. Zach passed the Medical bay with his pregnant wife, spotting his mother.
“Mom!” He exclaimed rushing to her side, noting the growing bruises.
Star tried to smile for him but her face was too stiff now, her lips parted in another pained wheeze.
“What happened to you!? Do you need a doctor? Hold on, I’ll get you some bruise cream.” Zach hurried to the drawers and began pulling them open, looking for the cream while Ella took a seat nearby.
"On our way to pick up the Jones now." Killian’s voice echoed over the comms again. That was good, cause Star was pretty sure she was going to need a doctor.

Kato hadn’t been this stressed in 20 years. His children in danger his wife maybe too? They were having to pick up and leave just like that, hiding away as if they were rabbits from an invisible hunter. He hated separating from Anna to hide in a coffee shop and call Star while his aging wife raced off to find their children. What if he’d already been taken? Kato wasn’t sure his heart could handle that.

The worst was confirmed as Anna approached him and fell into his arms, weeping. He grit his jaw, trying to not give into despair as she wept, thinking she’d failed. “It’s not your fault. Don’t blame yourself.” He whispered, stroking her hair and holding her close. He wished there was more he could do to comfort her, but he was barely holding himself together as it was. He guided her into the ship with Jacob as Killian put down the ramp, Anna promising to find their son. He hoped she was right.

Zach raced up to Kato as soon as he stepped foot on the ship. “Dr. Kato! Mom needs you. It looks bad!” He declared anxiously.
Kato glanced down at Anna and kissed the top of her head before hurrying after Zach. The young man led him to the med bay where a bruised Star lay on one of the beds, clearly struggling to breath. “What happened?” He asked, instantly in doctor mode as he set down his doctor’s pack and began looking through it for what he needed.
“I don’t know.” Zach shrugged. “Dad’s been flying the ship and she hasn’t been able to talk.”
Kato glanced up at the young man as he found his scanner. “Do you know how to fly a ship?”
“Yes.” Zach nodded.
“Good. I need you to switch places with your dad, maybe he tell me what happened. It will help me diagnose her.

Kato connected eyes with Star who looked panicked. “Are you having an allergic reaction?” He asked.
She shook her head weakly, pulling in a strained breath. She coughed painfully, again, specks of blood dotting the white pillow case. She blinked wearily, on the verge of passing out again.
Kato’s eyes widened and he went to work hooking her up to a vital’s monitor and running the enhanced scanner over her. By the time Killian came in the room he Kato had already put a respirator over Star’s face and was preparing them both for the minor surgery he needed to do.
Kato glanced up at Killian. “Star’s lungs have been bruised, there’s some internal bleeding and I need to drain the fluid before she drowns. Was she near an explosion?” He was already pretty certain of the answer, considering the injuries he was seeing.

“Ok, well I’m going to do what I can for her here...she really should have a real hospital but...considering the situation our families are in…” He sighed and shook his head as he washed his hands and arms and put on gloves. “I’ll take care of her Killian. Just, find our kids. Alright?”

Star woke a few hours later to easy breathing. She could feel the cool stickiness of the bruise cream all over her body and the sweet relief of painkillers. Kato had fallen asleep on a cot nearby and she could hear her children’s voices echoing elsewhere in the ship. She took another deep breath, coughing softly. It was still painful to breath deeply, but at least she could breath again. That had been terrifying. She’d begun to wonder if Kato would get picked up in time. She smiled softly at his sleeping form. The old crew back together. Even if it was because their children were being kidnapped and in danger, it felt sort of nice to having everyone on the same ship again.

Star was about to close her eyes to try and nap again when that familiar massive hand enveloped her hand. She turned her head to look up at the love of her life. “I’m ok now.” She assured him with a weak smile, then tears sprang to her eyes. “Just find our kids.”

Almost as soon as they picked up the doctor Zack came into the pilot pit. Killian almost frowned when he saw the way their oldest was staring at him. "What?" Star was having problems and she hadn't even told him. "Why didn't she tell me it was that bad?"

With an expression of partial disbelief Zack stared at Killian. "She can't talk! Kato needs you in there to tell him as much as possible about the situation." Making his way a little closer to Killian and the pilot's seat he angled himself to slip into the chair as soon as his father jumped up from the spot and raced out. There wasn't even so much as another word from him. Zack as worried about his wife and child. He was sick about Claire and Mikey, but to have his own family at risk was even worse. What about his unborn child and what would happen to his wife if anything here went wrong. Though it should have been a comfort he hardly felt any better about the fact that Killian Laulorin was on board and more than prepared from the looks of it to do whatever was necessary to protect the family. Whoever the Gillick's were they had done plenty to disrupt innocent lives.

Charging into the medical bay Killian stopped just short of running into the bed and he stared at Star and then looked up at Kato. "What's wrong?" The explosion had been doing its dirty work on Star and it was becoming ever more clear just looking at her. "There was a blast upstairs in the room before I could get to her." Carefully grabbing Star's hand he nodded at her. "I'll be here through the whole thing. Be here when you wake up. Don't do anything stupid like dying. This is a really bad time for that." They'd had their fights and most of it was fairly mild considering everything that they had survived together, but he was still worried every time she got hurt. A part of the Chippeqouti had never quite recovered from being left as a baby. Deep inside he feared being abandoned. Something that the message on the wall had triggered and most of his security had seemed to flee in those moments. Killian held onto Star's hand till she fell asleep and then he stood by to aid Kato with the procedure. Kato was trying to reassure Killian that everything would be ok and he gave the doctor a somewhat annoyed expression. "I am going to find the kids and I'm going to kill the bastard that did this to them. If they touch one more of my family I'm going to shred their bodies into bits."

When the procedure started Killian's face was pulled into a constant frown while he passed knives, clamps, and various other instruments to Kato. Draining the lungs was never fun and he was more than aware that it helped the problem, but it did not immediately cure the problem and resolve the issue of pain. Wincing a little he watched Kato feed a little drainage tube into the lung area and then the pinkish bubbly fluid began to seep into the tubing and into a bag.

Star's monitor began to show an increase in her vitals and Killian let out a breath in relief. Lowering his head he stared at the floor while Kato got everything cleaned up. It would still be a few minutes till Star woke up and he couldn't wait to know that she was ok. Seeing her eyes open would be far better than listening to the machines bleep. While he was watching over Star, Anna came into the room with a wild expression and waving a tablet at him. "We need to track this ship. I saw one leaving the hospital and when I reviewed the scans one ship from the hospital came up. It has changed course once it was out of the immediate range of the planet scanning systems. We're barely in range of it now and look where it's heading."

Taking the tablet from Anna the Chip squinted at the little screen. His frown deepened and he glanced behind himself at Star before heading out of the room to go change their route. It was a strange area that the ship was heading and Anna was right. Suspicious activity was afoot. This wasn't something that he could just ignore. They had to take any chance that they got. "Zack move. I'm resetting course and we're going to do a little crazy driving. Just make sure everyone is secure." His oldest had barely moved and Killian plopped heavily into the seat. The wound to his abdomen was starting to hurt even more with all the activity, but he was determined to get at least this much done. Opening the navigation pad on the ship he typed in the sequence to track and then turned the extra engine on to full power. There were a few habits of smugglers that had never worn off and Killian always like to have an extra engine power source for that difficult situation. At this point there was nothing too expensive to use. There was no cost he wouldn't pay to get his children back and protect his family.

Killian returned to the medical bay after nearly an hour of charting and setting codes while Anna did some fancy hacking to ensure that they would not lose their target. When he got to the room it looked like Star was just waking, or ready to fall asleep again. Gingerly making his way to her bed he took her hand in his. "How are you doing?"

The feeble smile and tears almost broke his heart. Killian carefully got to his knees so his face was the same level as hers. "We will find them. Right now Anna and I are working on a possible lead. We're making a plan that might help us get the kids back. Ok?"

There was the constant dripping in the background. Claire stared ahead almost listlessly as she listened to it. She could pretend it was just a rainy day all she wanted. It wouldn't change the fact that they had used and abused her in every way possible. Nothing could help the shame or the way they talked about her as if she was some sort of little experiment. Her parents were referred to as The Beast and The Tamer. She was simply a product of The Tamer breeding with her Beast. Somehow that had all made the way they treated her acceptable, as if she was less human because of her parents.

While she stared ahead she was careful to appear disinterested in everything. They wanted to break her and she wanted them to believe that they had. All of this could be excused if she could just get away. If they thought they had broken her she would have her chance to get away.

A guard whispered with the master in another room. "The child is far easier broken than The Beast or The Tamer."

Staring at the guard for a long moment the Gillick smiled. "You're quite mistaken. We need to find what will make her do anything for us. Who is her master? We had The Beast under our complete control as long as we held his Tamer. The Tamer was far more difficult to train. She has the blood of both. Part of her is dangerous as with her brother. However, the brother is far easier to control now that he knows we have her. If she knows we have her brother will she try to escape, or will she do anything to keep him from becoming his father? There was a reason that we had her contact show the videos to her." A wicked smile came to the Gillick's face. They both knew what the videos were and how horrifying the imagery was. The siblings seemed to be close from observations. This might be their ticket. Control the girl by controlling the boy and vice versa. "What could be more tragic than to have at least one of their children fully aware of what they were doing and yet have complete control. I don't have to destroy them. They will destroy themselves."

There was no escape. None that the Gillick could perceive and he loved the plans. Pressing past the guard he wandered into the other room and stared at the girl that continued to give that blank look. It was all a show of a different kind of defiance. Having broken many he knew when it was real. "For every lie you tell me from here on out I will beat your brother. Then after one week you will see him. If you continue to lie I'll send him to the games to become a monster. He'll know that you're the one that sent him. Instead of choosing to fight for you, your brother will fight for a chance to come back here and kill you for all the pain you've caused. I will bring him to you in one week."

Claire's eyes softened some when he spoke. She didn't have a plan for her actions to hurt her brother and for him to know it. The only plan she had was for herself. Momentarily the softness was replaced with pure seething rage.

Now that he saw the light in her eyes he knew she was far from broken. "Don't worry only your father and mother can save you and they will come. You and your siblings will kill them both." With a smile he turned and started for the doors. "They will ask you to kill them." He wanted to destroy the children and the best way was for them to know they had complete control of themselves and still make horrible choices. From their observation The Beast was far more broken in many ways than The Tamer. True they were both broken, but they had learned to lean on one another and she was easily forgiven in part for her actions because of the implant. For now the implant was only a last resort. He wanted the children to make the choices while in full control of themselves. They would break themselves and that was far more difficult to fix.

Star nodded in response to Killian’s promise that him and Anna were working to find their children. Having her children missing and being useless to help was almost as painful as that miscarriage 20 years ago. She held his hand tightly, bringing it up to her face so she could press her bruised cheek gently against it. “I’m sorry...sorry I’m so, useless right now.” She whispered. She barely heard his response before sleep took her again.
“Killian.” Kato approached him later evening when there was a quiet moment. “I’ve noticed you’ve been holding your stomach and limping a bit. Do you mind if I check your wound? Make sure no stitches have torn, or that you’re bleeding inside?”
Joseph woke to people crying. He was stuffed in the hold of a small ship with a dozen other kidnapped children, all under the age of 25. One girl he sat next to couldn’t have been more than 16 years old. She held tightly to a three year old who was crying in her arms. The red-haired child looked over at Joseph fearfully. He slowly pushed up into a sitting position, rubbing his neck.
“Where...are we?”
“Slave ship.” The young girl replied mournfully, stroking the hair of the child in her lap with similar red-hair. “My sister and I were kidnapped two days ago. They’ve been taking children from people who fought in the war...and we don’t know why.”
Joseph’s eyes widened. Then Jacob was in danger too. And...that might explain why Claire had been taken. He sighed softly, trying not to panic. There was plenty of that in here already. “I’m Joseph. What’s your name?”
“Autum. And this is my sister, Aleah.”
“Good to meet you both.” He smiled gently.
The redhead nods solemnly, trying to calm her sister by bouncing her on her knee.
The ship hissed to a stop and engines died down. A few minutes later several mean looking guards came in and ushered everyone off the ship and towards one large holding cell which they crammed everyone into. Joseph was the last one in and heard one of the guards mention that the new ship was delayed and they’d have to hide here for two days. It sounded like there was an argument about whether or not to risk continuing their journey with the current ship. Joseph could only hope his mother would find them in time.
Star spent the next three day mostly sleeping, healing. She managed to stay awake an hour or two here and there to speak to the children or get on update on the situation with their missing children from Anna or Killian. The hours drug by painfully. Every now and again she’d catch Killian wincing or limping slightly. Of course he never complained and spent the majority of his free time beside her making certain she was ok. She couldn’t ask for a better husband. After 25 years, he just kept getting better.
By the fourth morning she was up and moving around a bit, even cooking. She needed something to distract her mind from the fact her children were missing. The twins came in later and helped her out as she began to tire and ache and made her sit at the table and oversee them instead. The pancakes and sausage were done by the time Killian and the rest woke up and shuffled out of their bedrooms. She managed a small sad smile at them. “We close to finding the kids yet?”

Killian nodded reluctantly when Kato asked to look him over. Despite the fact that he was still experiencing a great deal of pain in his stomach when he walked he didn't have time to get worse. It was only logical for the doctor to have a look to ensure that he could keep on moving around and get things done. Wandering over to the bed in the corner Killian unbuckled his pants pushed the top of them down and lifted the edge of his shirt. More than likely Kato was going to want to see the entire thing and all the incision marks.

At least Kato was gentle when he pressed gently around the wound site and he barely touched the actual wound itself. Shifting on the bed a little the Chippeqouti grunted when the scanner was pressed to his abdomen. "What does it look like?" Sounded like he had to slow down a little and Killian nodded. "Ok, so I'll have to teach the kids to do a little more around the ship." Added to that list was more sleep and he frowned at the doctor. "More sleep my ass!" With a little further grumbling he relented. "Fine, I'll try to take a few naps during the day and sleep longer at night." The only way Killian could think to accomplish that was to forget to set an alarm and he wasn't so sure that he wanted to do that, but if it was what he had to do to improve then he would.

In addition to the check up he got a little shot in the arm and Killian let his shirt down and then slid gingerly off the bed so he could buckled his pants again. "Thank you." As hard as he tried not to wince when the buckle bumped the lowest incision Killian couldn't help himself.

That night the bed felt empty without Star. After a little over 25 years of sharing a bed it was strange to have so much space to himself. Part way through the night Killian woke for the fourth or fifth time and he decided that it was as good a time as any to go check on Star. Rolling out of the bed he grabbed the top blanket and wandered back to the medical bay wrapped up in the polar fleece throw for the bed. Sitting next to her bed he grasped one of her little hands until he started to feel tired. Leaning his head against the bed he felt comfortable enough to finally fall asleep again for a few hours. When he woke up Killian glanced at the clock and he knew that Kato would be coming in for his check up soon. It was best not to get caught when he was supposed to be resting. Carefully letting go of Star's hand the Chippeqouti snuck off to his room again. By the time he woke up it was almost 11am and he felt somewhat better. Sleeping like the doctor ordered was mildly helpful.

After a few days Killian was finding that he needed less naps and that was a bonus considering how he'd felt lately. Star was up and running around trying to cook, though when he wandered in she was directing the twins who were always more than happy to make a mess in the kitchen. "Looks good." Killian sat down and winked at Star. No matter his attempts to be kind and not mention the missing children he couldn't help being worried about them. More than likely she was almost as sick as he felt about the whole thing.

Momentarily he took a deep breath when she mentioned the kids. "I think we got a good chance. If this lead turns out we'll have them in a few weeks." Scooting a little closer to Star he peered into her eyes. "We'll get them back. I'm going to do whatever it takes. Anna and I have been taking shifts to make sure that the ship isn't pulling any fast moves or that they haven't discovered us yet."

A slight smile came to his face. "I got a commission from the Queen. My job is to find as many of the stolen children as possible. Mom and dad are running back up and we'll create a train of ships to get them all back home to a safe compound till the mission is considered complete. I got permission when we find our children to keep them with us. They increased surveillance at home too." As far as Killian was concerned that was good news and they needed some of that. It was also nice in a way to have his parents as back up. Despite Belen being pregnant she had insisted on taking part of the mission and being allowed to take on one of the backup ships.

If there was one thing Killian was good at it was smuggling. This time it was a job that he wanted badly and for the right reasons. He wanted to smuggle the stolen kids back to their homes. The biggest problem was going to be locating them. That was usually the problem with smuggling. Finding the right merchandise was tricky.

"When you feel up to it come to the pilot and navigation room." It was at this time his little glimmer of hope. Star may not like how far he was going to have to let it go to find their children, but he needed it to get bad before he could help it get better. "How are you feeling though? You're looking a little better, might be a tad bit pale yet." Leaning close enough to gently kiss her he ignored the 'ew' from the twins. Pulling away from Star he gathered both of their plates and began to serve them up. "Wanna eat before everyone else gets here?"

"Too late!" Anna bounded into the room as fast as her aging body would let her. "The Jones have arrived." Trailing behind her was a far more serious looking Kato. "You gonna serve plates for everyone or just you and Star?"

Killian glanced at Anna and then he smirked. "Eh." Sliding the first two plates back to Anna and Kato he beckoned for her to trade him. "Hurry up before I change my mind." Catching the twins glances he gave them a look of warning. "I have to do all the work around here." Since he was lying Killian knew better than to turn around so that the others could see him. "Got up early and did the cooking now I have to serve everyone and navigate as well as supervise the engine room." Despite his best attempts his voice was starting to reveal a bit of humor. "What's wrong with all you adults. My crew got damn lazy. Let em all have a few years off and now look at this."

The twins kept a constant flow of plates till one of them tapped him on the shoulder and Killian turned around to take a seat at the table. "I guess we'd better give proper credit. Star and the twins made breakfast." Glancing at Star he nodded to her. "Thank you, looks delicious. Smells good to."

On board the ship the man came down for his hourly check on the cargo. Grabbing Joseph he stared at him for a long moment. "You're the doctor right?" When he got an answer he smiled. "I got someone that has already started to make bids on you." They no longer bothered with markets. It was better to have all the buyers make bids a few days before they landed and then when the money was present in the account they would release the cargo from its slots to the new owners. Made for a less messy transfer and far more privacy.

Hopefully it would be more difficult to track the sales. It wasn't so much that he believed they were being followed now, but if they had been discovered and their purpose it would only be a matter of time before the Queen made her move. She wouldn't let her citizens be taken like that from her cities. The man continued to stare at Joseph for a long time. Finally he released him. "Seems they want you to ensure that their other slaves are preserved for a time." Joseph was destined for a better life than some of the other slaves if one considered only his immediate physical welfare. "If you don't obey the master I'm sure he would send you to the games to act as a physician or maybe a contestant." Slowly the smiled turned to a sneer. "You'll learn your place."

When the ship landed Killian directed their ship to be a little closer to the docks. Frowning a little he called for Anna. "There aren't anymore docks for the market." This wasn't how they remembered it at all. In fact it didn't appear that the ship they tracked had anything to do with their children being kidnapped.

"Maybe we should wait and just see what happens." Anna frowned as well. If they left their only lead it could be the last chance. In the event that this lead was false they were also losing precious time to find the kids.

After a long moment Killian sighed. "Alright call the others in. If we're a crew then we need to take a vote on this. We can both advise that they agree with us to stay put for a while longer." While he couldn't change their votes Killian was hopeful that they would want to stay. Grabbing the communications radio he spoke slowly into it. "We're landed. All crew meet at the navigation deck for a vote."

As the family enjoyed the breakfast the twins had finished up for Star, she thought over what Killian had said about the Queen commissioning him to get the children. While it was good news the queen was so invested in this situation, her commission wouldn’t help Killian search any harder or faster than he already was. They needed more man power. More people to help in the search. When Killian had asked how she was feeling she just shrugged lightly, accepting the kiss and giving him a gentle smile in return. She was still sick at the thought that Claire and Mikey might already be dead, or suffering horribly. Still, she tried to keep even a small smile on her face. She knew Killian was suffering over this just as much as she was, if not more.
Despite the fear and worry clearly permitting the air, as they ate breakfast with the Jones family, there was still a sense of hope and determination. They would find their children. Anna’s smile made her certain of that. Killian’s playful teases and smiles helped lift her spirits a bit as well as the twins constant jabbering and teasing of Jacob Jones, or JJ as they affectionately called him. Part way through her second cup of a coffee, a small genuine smile began to rise to her face. They would find their children and they would get through this, together. As they always had, and always would.
***************************************************************************************
Joseph was making rounds around the crowded cargo hold to check on his fellow captives. He was able to relocate the shoulder of boy in the corner, ease the panic attack of a girl in the middle and saved a toddler choking on a piece of metal. His gentle smile and soft voice seems to help lower the overall anxiety of the captives, but nothing could help that sick feeling in each of their guts, knowing they were about to be sold like cattle.
When the Slaver came in and got in Joseph’s face, he did his best to be compliant and not give him any reason to be angry with him. He knew that his skills as a doctor would save his life, but it made him sick to think that someone soon might be using his skills to heal evil men or enslaved aliens or people forced into the games or worse. Was this how it had been for his father and mother during the dark season they never talked about? He put his shoulders back as the slaver sneered at him. His mother would want him to be strong and brave. His father would want him to use his head but not make himself a target. His mother would no doubt tell him to bide his time, look for a weakness in the defenses while his father might add to make sure not to think just about himself but the other slaves. And that’s what he did.
As he did his rounds he spread his plan to all the would be slaves. It took effect immediately. For the next three days evidence of some sort of sickness began making itself apparent through the coughs and moans of the people in the cargo hold. Over the next three days the obvious suffering became loud, and obnoxious. The dying cries of the captives sent shivers down the spines of the guards forced to listen while Joseph made sure to tell the guards in great detail of the plague that was killing then. Not a single guard dared enter the room, barely getting close enough to shove a box of rations through the door before quickly hurrying away lest they be infected as well.
Then on the fourth day, over the course of a few hours...it all went dead silent. Terrified the guards had just let a whole cargo hold of slaves die they raced into the holding room to check the bodies. It was the last mistake they made as every last person lept to their feets, beat the guards half to death and stole their weapons and keys. Joseph led the crew out of the holding cell and away from the docks as quickly as possible. None of them knew enough about ships to steal one. Their next best bet was to find a place to hide and call for help.
By the time the Slaver came back to check on his cargo they were long gone and hiding in warehouse in the middle of a city. Joseph volunteered to leave their hiding place and find a datapad with which to call someone who could help them. Preferably his mother. It didn’t take long to convince someone at a nearby cafe to let him borrow it. The call barely rang once before his mother’s voice answered. “Mom.” Joseph’s voice cracked in relief. “I’m ok, but we don’t have much time.” He told her where they were hiding. His heart lit up to hear that she and the others were close by. “I’m going to go back to the warehouse and tell the others. I can’t wait to see you. Love you.”
***************************************************************************************
Mikey sat in the corner, bruises covering his body. He wasn’t sure why he was being kept in this tiny cold room. He was fed once a day, beaten at random then left alone again for hours on end. After a week of complete and utter silence and boredom it was getting to point where he almost looked forward to the beatings just so that he had something else to focus on besides the silent cold dark.
He winced and raised a bruised arm to his eyes as the door to his small prison was thrown upon and dragged out. He grunted as they drug him through the house, down some stairs and into another prison where they threw him on the ground in front of another cage. He dared to look up, seeing Claire. She looked horrible. What had they done to her!? “Claire!” He pushed to his knees and tried to stretch out a hand to her before the guard cruelly wrenched him back, forcing him to remain kneeling.
“We’re going to get out, Sis.” Mikey grunted as the guard held him. “Don’t give up, ok. Mom and dad are going to find us.”
“Oh, yes. I hope they do.” Their gillick capture sneered. “And you will be leaping at the opportunity to kill them by the time I’m done with you both.”
Mikey spit at the gillicks feet. “You’re sick!”
“Am I? Or is your father the one who is sick? I think its time you saw him for the monster he truly is.” The gillick stuck a datapad in his face, forcing him to watch his father in the games, and the horrors he’d committed.”
Mikey’s eyes slowly widened, and bile rose up in his throat. Every time he tried to look away, they electrified him with the collar.
“Your father...killed children...in the most horrendous ways imaginable. And your mother encouraged him. He tore the limbs off my father like he was a doll. You have the same blood.”
“No...this...this is all a lie.” Mikey shook his head.
“Is it? I’m showing you proof…right now.”
“This is some sort of twisted trick. I don’t...my father never would.” He looked at Claire, desperate for an explanation. “Tell them, Claire! You know it as well as I. Dad...he wouldn’t…”

This role play is inactive. Please archive.

Claire knew they weren't going to let her say anything to her brother to explain the situation. All she knew was that right now that was the man she needed her dad to be. The one that would charge in and tear the enemy apart. A portion of her was afraid that he wouldn't know when to stop and then she was afraid that she wouldn't survive much longer. Her brother had more Chip blood than she did and he was faring much better under the harsh conditions.

Screaming on the video told her exactly what she needed to know. She had seen this same video only it was under better conditions. Wincing some she looked to her brother. "He did it to save mom!" Yelling back to her brother as fast as she could Claire felt a hand whip around and hit her. She wasn't about to let her brother turn crazy now. Mike was in the worst place to get brainwashed. "They were doing to mom worse than they're doing to m...." Before she could finish the guard in her cell hit her again and this time it was a sharp blow to the head.

Blood began to seep from her head and Claire lay almost lifelessly on the floor of the cell. The guard looked toward Mike and he shrugged. "You see how she defends your parents and the monster that you've called father. What will you do when he comes here and he starts to tear innocent Gillick's apart in front of you? Maybe he'll even kill slaves without a second thought? Can you really let that go unpunished?"

*************************************************************************************

A call came in on the pad and Anna anxiously picked it up. The number she didn't recognize, but someone could have been offering a random tip or maybe it was one of her contacts using a secure line. Even before the face appeared on the other end of the screen she started to talk. "Hello?" The wrinkles around her eyes deepened and she couldn't help the tears that started to form at the corners of her eyes. "Joseph...Oh my...." It was impossible to finish her sentence and she listened to her boy. He couldn't have much time and he seemed to know that. Nodding carefully she smiled at him through her tears. "Ok honey. We'll be there with Uncle Killian and Aunt Star in a little bit."

Almost as soon as the call was ended she hobbled as quickly as she could toward the main lobby of the ship. Many of the others were sitting around, watching, waiting for any kind of action from the ship that they had followed. "It's empty!" Yelling as she burst into the room the little woman held one of her hands out to Kato. "Jacob called me. We have to go get him now. He's at a warehouse just to the West of the docks. He's got several others that were taken with him."

Instantly Killian shot to his feet and he held one hand over his stomach protectively. "Then we need to get there now." He knew there wasn't anyplace to land the ship right at that spot, but he figured they could get at least one other ship here in a few hours to provide some kind of security. However, it didn't seem to be enough if they were going to be possibly found in the next few hours. It was a time when he had to make a hard call and right now he had an entire crew at risk if they went for the kids without some kind of immediate back up. At the same time they risked losing the entire lead that they had gained. The man took a deep breath and he looked from Star's eyes to Anna and Kato's. "It's risky." Killian sighed. "I'm willing to take the risk and we might not succeed and if we don't then there won't be any leads for anyone else to follow. They might not know where to start. If we don't we could lose our lead."

It was as Killian expected. The crew wanted to take the risk. He wanted to as well and in part he was glad that they were going to be doing something about it. "Alright then, we meet at the cargo bay in half hour. Get your guns and whatever else you might need. We'll need a few roll up cots with us in case some of them are sick. Kato if you want you can come with, but it would be better if you stayed here and prepared the medical bay." Killian couldn't tell Kato as a fellow father to stay behind. He knew that Anna wanted to go, but she couldn't move fast enough anymore. Her back had been bad enough that she was barely able to jog. "Anna, I need you to stay here as communications. We have to know if there is something going on, or if we need to make a fast retreat out of there."

Reluctantly the little woman nodded. She understood though she was desperate to see Joseph again. "I'll be here and you'd better listen to me." Adding the last part with a firm tone she looked to those that appeared to be heading out. "I don't make mistakes on these sort of things and you all know it." No matter what happened they had to be safe and get out of there. Anna was going to see to that.

In the bedroom Killian snugged his boots up to be sure that he wouldn't be losing pace because of his shoes slipping. Carefully he put a body holster on and slid the gun into place. Though it had been years since he wore the vest, Killian was still familiar with the feel of it and he packed the pockets full of little distraction tabs. They were basically mini bombs that would make more sound than anything and it was enough to stun an enemy or leave them cringing in a corner for a few seconds.

Looking over at Star he nodded. "Maybe the kids are with Joseph." It was a far stretch and Killian knew it. They didn't have a lot of hope of finding their kids unless they were with Joseph. Otherwise their next best chance of finding Claire and Mike was to see if Joseph had any kind of information. After that it was ugly, but Killian already knew that he was going to turn himself over to the Gillick's if that was what it took to get word of his children.They were more important than surviving this and he didn't want his children to suffer what he and Star had.

There were times when Killian wondered if fleeing the Heuth system had been the best choice. It seemed that they jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Things had gone well living near his parents for so long and it was now a shattered dream and life that had been. Even if they rescued their children he and Star would have a long road to haul getting them healthy again and then helping them to recoup so that they could go out into society. Killian remembered how jumpy he felt when he first started to walk in public again and how easy it was to get triggered. Doing that with his children made him almost sick. Carefully he looked away from Star. "I told the twins to stay here and Robert isn't in any kind of condition to be charging off to find Claire yet. If you want to come it's up to you."

Wandering out to the docking bay he saw that the others were ready. Among those were the twins. They seemed to be determined to have some part in the rescue. Killian was about to protest and then he realized that of all the times they could choose to go with this was perhaps the better one. At least he wasn't walking into a Gillick home, or fortress. "Fine, but you two will listen to every word from Anna and myself."

The small group stepped out into the sunlight. It was blinding at first. Having spent so much time on board the ship it had become normal to have some dulling of the sun from the windows in the ship. Killian squinted a little. Golden sands felt like it did the first time he went to the market and watched Star get sold. Clenching his jaw he swore that he could hear the auctioneer in the background. What if Claire was there now or Mike? They had a lead that they needed to follow. Weaving through the town Killian glanced one way and then another. So far there didn't' seem to be any trouble. Turning his head toward Star he frowned some. It seemed so odd that they were allowed to simply walk through the city so freely.

This role play is inactive. Please archive.

Last edited:
Back