[Tabletop][Scifi] Armored Descent - A Power Armor/Mecha Setting

The Taleweaver

Vagabond Skald
Hello, everyone! The Taleweaver here, hoping to rustle up enough interested participants for a power armor/mecha-focused tabletop roleplaying game called "Armored Descent". This setting/ruleset is derived from an imageboard CYOA that spiraled out of control into a fairly elaborate setting.

The Basis: A strange pod has fallen from the sky, and upon your approach has chosen you to be the pilot of the as-of-yet uncustomized proto-suit contained within. You are given a limited number of resources and a whole host of options with which to make the power armor/mech inside your own personal engine of destruction and/or power. Will you select the Superheavy, a two-ton monstrosity of unadulterated firepower and thick plates of armor? Or is the Mesh suit more your speed, with a focus on subtlety and stealth as opposed to power?

The Rules: You can find the current revision (10.1) of the Armored Descent core rulebook here. I may make some house rule adjustments, but I want to keep it as simple as possible!

The Tools: I'm hoping to primarily keep this as a play-by-post game here on the forums, though there may be instances where I pull aside specific players/characters for side quests and storylines that will be completed either via Skype or Discord, depending on availability and players involved. I debated on hosting the character sheets on Mythweavers for ease of use, but I've decided to keep it as in-house as possible, and so upon having the completed character sheets PM'd to me I will host them in a tab in the thread proper.

The Players: It has been many months since I have roleplayed in general, and nearly a year since I GM'd a tabletop roleplay. As such, I would like to limit the number of players to 3-5. If I feel comfortable later on, or if I find a competent and agreeable co-GM, I would not be opposed to starting up a second party.

So yeah! If you're interested in participating what will likely be a light-hearted action-adventure oriented science fiction tabletop game (what a mouthful!) then feel free to post or PM me!

HOUSERULES
  • Due to this being a play-by-post game without a visible gridmap, most combat will be adjudicated by myself or another GM, if and when we have one. We will primarily focus on story progression in how we decide the results of combat. (No, this doesn't mean we'll force you to lose a battle against another player just to progress a specific plot.)
  • The following Suit Variants are not allowed at character creation: Lamia, Drider, Harpy.
  • The following Suit Add-ons are not allowed at character creation: Armor Material: Experimental. Locomotion: Teleport Beacon, Web Spray. Biology: Canvas Nanites I & II, Progenitor Nanites, Fusion.
  • Players are allotted 200 resources instead of the listed 250.
  • Experimental Weaponry is not allowed at character creation.
  • We will be using the supplementary 'Tag' system on page 33 of the included rulebook. Players will be allotted five (5) points to use for this. There will be opportunities to earn/gain more later in-game.

Current Interest

Isaac
Potatocat
Quinn
Stefan Karl Stefansson
Aylura

Sample Character Sheet
Pilot
Name: Ashlynn 'Embersong' Richards
HT: 5'8"
WT: 165 lbs.
Physical Description: Built less like a gymnast and more like an ironworker. Well-muscled, with just a slight pudge around the middle. Black hair to the middle of her back, though it's usually kept up in a messy bun for convenience. Vivid green eyes hidden behind transition-lense glasses.
Bio: Ashlynn likes to joke that she took to her suit 'like a duck to water', aligning herself with the Crusaders the moment she was deemed skilled enough. She regularly takes on patrol routes outside of her usual assignments, doing her best to ensure that 'the unsuited' are not being oppressed by rogue suit-users.
Tags: Justice-Seeker (+2 Sense Motive, +2 Persuasion (vs. good-aligned), -1 Bluff, -1 Impersonation) [2 pts], Stocky (+2 Athletics, -1 Acrobatics) [1 pts], Computer Nerd (+1 Repairing, +1 Maintenance) [2 pts].

Mech
Name:
'Ducky'
Type: Heavy-type Biped
Description: Very plain and mostly unadorned. Grey armor plating. Single decal on left shoulder of a rubber duck. Built for prolonged combat.
Height: 2.7 meters | Weight: 1080 lbs.
Pressure Resistance: 12 | Strength: 3,000lbs. | Armor Value: 9 | Mobility: 37.5m
User Interface: Brain Implant I (10 resources)
Armor Material: Composite (20 resources)
Defensive Add-ons:
Temperature Resistance 2 (10 resources)
Self-Repair 1 (10 resources)
Improved Hull (5 resources)
Pressure Shielding (15 resources)
Physical Shield (5 resources)
Locomotion Add-ons:
Kinetic Servos (15 resources)
Hopper Legs (10 resources)
HUD/Visual Add-ons:
Enhanced Vision (5 resources)
Radar (5 resources)
Internal Status (0 resources)
Communications Add-ons:
Vocal (0 resources)
Universal Translator (5 resources)
Communicator (10 resources)
Utility Add-ons:
Towing Cable (5 resources)
Hardpoints:
Level 4: Railgun (20 resources)
Level 2: Warhammer (Kinetic Strike Module) (10 resources)
Level 2: Electro Pulse (10 resources)
Targeting Systems:
Dedicated Mental Tasking (20 resources)

Last edited:
Ooh, this is actually interesting. Never heard of this setting or system, but I'll give the ruleset a looky-over.

Consider me interested.

Ooh, this is actually interesting. Never heard of this setting or system, but I'll give the ruleset a looky-over.

Consider me interested.
Duly noted! :D Glad we've already got someone interested. Honestly, I've been aching to run a game of AD10.1 for ages.

Updated with house rules and example character sheet! For those who have expressed interest, feel free to begin character creation! PM me or post here if you have any questions!

So, uh, do we have a plot or something to go off of here? Maybe some setting info?

Ah! Of course! Well, I will give a few bullet points for you to go off of to base your character upon. I don't want to spoil too much.
  • The game will begin in the United States, in a near post-apocalyptic state. The reason behind this is...
  • The sudden influx of advanced technology in the hands of ordinary citizens (not all of whom are entirely stable) has led to an almost total collapse of traditional government.
  • Banditry is rampant, with rogue 'Suited' taking advantage of those without access to means of defending themselves.
  • Power has started to consolidate into two primary factions in the US:
  • The Crusaders speak of morality and the 'obligations' that the Suited had to the Unsuited, how they must protect and serve them, and ensure their safety from the less noble Suited. They hold the midwest, having erected a colossal citadel in the middle of the country from whence they rule.
  • The Swarm, named for their seemingly endless ranks of Unsuited willing to fight for them. They massed on the west coast and made their home there. They dedicate themselves to wanton hedonism, claiming the Suits were gifts that allowed them to live whatever lifestyles they choose. They provide the Unsuited beneath them with whatever they desire, and all that they ask is that they fight when called.
  • What started as the occasional border skirmish between the two groups is rapidly escalating into the potential for all-out open conflict.
  • As a player, you will start as an unaligned Suited inside of the Crusader's territory in the midwest.
Other than these points, most of your character is up to interpretation and personal choice.

Ok, cool! I'll keep that in mind. While I'm on a question binge here: We can't take harpy at the beginning, but we can take flight as a separate thing. Any reason for this?

Pilot
Name: Anton Sloan
HT: 5'10"
WT: 170lbs.
Physical Description:
Bio:
Tags:

Suit
Name: Fruitbat
Type: Light Biped (5 resources)
Description: A light suit designed with a singular concept: Fast, devastating attack. The flight assembly, an intimidating array of thrusters and a pair of folding wings, makes up half of the suit's weight alone. Perhaps the most formidable aspect of the Fruitbat are the twin underarm mounted railguns, each almost as long as the suit is tall.

Due to the need to accommodate thruster array, railguns and the power supply to keep both functioning the Atom Bat appears a bit bulkier than similar light suits and sports a utilitarian styling; Hard, sharp triangles dominate the overall design. The paint scheme is anything but utilitarian, portraying an almost 'dazzle camouflage' of dark purple and pink. Even the thrusters faintly glow a pink hue when not in use.

Height: 6'2" / 1.88m | Weight: 220lbs / 100kg.
Pressure Resistance: 8 | Strength: 1200lbs / 544kg. | Armor Value: 5 | Mobility: 67.5m ground, 450m flying
Construct Variants:
Mobile (10 resources)
Weapons Platform (15 resources)
User Interface: Spinal Column (5 resources)
Armor Material: Tempered (10 resources)
Defensive Add-ons:
Temperature Resistance I (5 resources)
Pressure Shielding (15 resources)
Flares (5 resources)
Locomotion Add-ons:
Thrusters (15 resources)
Flight (20 resources)
HUD/Visual Add-ons:
Passive Sonar (5 resources)
Radar (5 resources)
External Status (5 resources)
Communications Add-ons:
Vocal (0 resources)
Utility Add-ons:
None
Hardpoints:
Level 2: Stun Darts (Non-Lethal Set) (5 resources)
Targeting Systems:
Target Lock (15 resources)
Full Range Accurate Motion (15 resources)

Last edited:
Pilot
Name: Mark Marconi
HT: 5'10"
WT: 190
Physical Description:
a little overweight with an average build, short black hair and brown eyes.
Bio: A tech fanatic, ()
Tags:

Mech

Name:
Tower
Type: Medium, Biped
Description:
Height:
2m | Weight: 440 Lbs
Pressure Resistance: 6 | Strength: 2000lbs | Armor Value: 6 | Mobility: 45m
User Interface: Brain implant 2 (15 resources)
Defensive Add-ons:
Temperature Resistance 1 (5 resources)
Locomotion Add-ons:
Adhesion (10 resources)
Kinetic servos (10 resources)

HUD/Visual Add-ons:
Enhanced Vision (5 resources)
Internal status (0 resources)
External status (5 resources)
Radar (5 resources)

Communications Add-ons:
Vocal (0 resources)
Wi-Fi (15 resources)
Universal translator (5 resources)

Utility Add-ons:
Sentient AI (15 resources)
Hardpoints:
Lvl 1: Scout drone (5 resources)
Lvl 2: Sword (Cutting blade 2) (10 resources)
Lvl 3: Tracer bolt (drone) (15 resources)
Lvl 3: .50 Cal Rifle (15 resources)

Targeting Systems:
Dedicated Mental Tasking (20 resources)

Last edited:
Still reading quite a bit on this, though thus far I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this RP till the actual OOC comes up along with a lot more info on the RP's plot.

Still reading quite a bit on this, though thus far I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this RP till the actual OOC comes up along with a lot more info on the RP's plot.
Glad it's caught your eye! The bulk of what's going on will be semi-revealed with my opening post.

Pilot
Name
: Vessa Dayne
HT: 5 feet, ~1.5 meters
WT: 125 pounds, ~57 kilos
Physical Description: Vessa is short but has a voluptuous build. She is only a few pounds over the ideal weight for someone her size and build, has a lighter complexion, and a smattering of freckles wherever you look. Her thick, straight, long hair is ruby red and tied into two twin braids a majority of the time. She has round, icy blue eyes under dark, long eyelashes.
Bio: Vessa had been trained to be a doctor since she turned 16. She often would sit in on various tasks, from simple check-ups to intensive surgeries. She takes her job very seriously, and will do anything to save a life, no matter which side they are on. She allied herself with the Crusaders, volunteering her skills to aid civilian and soldier alike.
Tags:
  • Gymnast (+1 Athletics, +1 Acrobatics)
  • Indoorsy (-1 Survival, -1 Navigation)
  • Doctor (+3 First Aid)
  • Perceptive (+2 Investigation)
Mech
Name
: Chiron
Type: Medium-type Tauric (20 resources)
Description: Vessa says her suit was practically made just for her. The light colored suit has a single red cross painted on both rear flanks. The suit doesn’t look new by any means, but it has apparently been well taken care of. Named after the famous centaur, master of heroes and medicine.
Height: 13 feet, ~4 meters | Weight: 660 pounds, ~299 kilos
Pressure Resistance: 6 | Strength: 2,000 pounds, ~907 kilos | Armor Value: 6 | Mobility: 50 m
Construct Variants:
  • Mobile (10 resources)
  • Centaur (0 resources)
User Interface:
  • Brain Implant 2 (15 resources)
Armor Material:
  • Tempered (10 resources)
Defensive Add-ons:
  • Improved Hull (5 resources)
  • Temperature Resistance 1 (5 resources)
  • Self-repair 1 (10 resources)
  • Physical Shield (5 resources)
  • Flares (5 resources)
Locomotion Add-ons:
  • Kinetic Servos (10 resources)
HUD/Visual Add-ons:
  • Enhanced Vision (5 resources)
  • Navigation (5 resources)
  • Internal Status (0 resources)
  • External Status (5 resources)
Communications Add-ons:
  • Vocal (0 resources)
  • Universal Translator (5 resources)
  • Communicator (10 resources)
  • Wi-fi (15 resources)
Biology Add-ons:
  • Hydra Nanites (10 resources)
Utility Add-ons:
  • Collapsible (5 resources)
  • Sentient AI (15 resources)
  • Towing Cable (5 resources)
  • Healing Salve Kit (5 resources)
Hardpoints:
  • Level 1: Taser (Nonlethal Set) (5 resources)
  • Level 2: Combat Drone (10 resources)
  • Level 2: Medi-drone (10 resources)
Targeting Systems:
  • None

Last edited:
Sample Character Sheet

Pilot
Name: Eric Gibson
HT: 6'
WT: 180 lbs.
Physical Description: Standing well above the average height for a man, Eric Gibson is a young man with short, light brown hair and ocean blue eyes.
Bio: Eric spends most of his free time in the gym, and he never misses leg day. He takes pride in utilizing his strength and cunning to aid others in need.
Tags:
Body Builder (+2 Vitality, +1 Athletics) [3 pts]
Sly (+1 Intelligence, +1 Charisma) [2 pts]

Mech

Name:
'Chamo'
Type:
Light Reptilian Biped (5 resources)
Mobile (10 resources)
Armored (5 resources)
Lightweight (5 resources)
Description: This suit is fit for any infiltration. It is composed mostly of scales that can replicate any image, and thus become invisible. While the scales are idle, they look like brilliant silver. Also, the suit has ssmall, velcro-like, claws on the soles and palms to permit sticking to virtually any surface.
Height: 1.9 meters | Weight: 110 lbs.
Pressure Resistance: 8 | Strength: 1,200lbs. | Armor Value: 6 | Mobility: 67.5 m
User Interface: Nerve Suit (5 resources)
Defensive Add-ons:
Invisibility (10 resources)
Self-Repair 2 (15 resources)
Pressure Shield (15 resources)
Locomotion Add-ons:
Kinetic Servos (10 resources)
Adhesion (10 Resources)
Hopper Legs (10 resources)
HUD/Visual Add-ons:
Passive Sonar (5 resources)
Communications Add-ons:
Vocal (0 resources)
Utility Add-ons:
None
Hardpoints:
Level 4: Kinetic Strike Module (20 resources)
Level 3: Cutting Blades (15 resources)
Level 3: Cutting Blades (15 resources)
Targeting Systems:
Target Lock (20 resources)

Total Resources: 200

Last edited:
Back