Deus Ex Machina The Docks

Glow

Punmaker Extrordinare
The Docks

Filled with the hustle and bustle of workers, pilots, and passengers, the docks are one of the main veins of industry in Auroris. o the left are rows upon rows of airships, stretching out as far as they eye can see; which held to the docks by heavy ropes and chains. Some are cargo ships, others are passenger ships, some commercial, others owned by rich nobles. A few can be seen circling above, waiting to land. To the right are warehouses and a ticket office. Towards the end of the docks is a large metal building with MECHANIC painted across the top.

Twilight and dawn are the least busy times for the docks, but don't be caught there midday.
The docks become a sea of people and once you're among them you'll never get out.

Last edited:
Aaron - The Docks
Besides pushing through masses of panicked people, the journey to the docks had been largely uneventful. Aaron stuck close to Luna; while checking every so often to make sure Ada was still with them. Navigating the sun level proved to be more difficult than he thought. He silently cursed Lucian for taking a nap. Aaron could do this alone, but it would be a heck of a lot easier if he had someone to back him up.

When they finally reached the docks, some of his stress level subsided, it was still chaos. Workers and pilots where running around shouting at each other. Luna almost got bowled over by man with a hand cart full of boxes. She stared icy daggers into his back as he scurried by. He needed to get everyone out of the crowd and to a place where they could wait for Sylvia to catch up. His eye's widened as it came to him. He spun to Ada. "Where's your shop?"

Luna - The Docks
Luna continued to glare at the man who had almost run her over. Her eyes glowed for a second, but then dimmed. She looked away from him and back to where Aaron was leading them; seemingly unaware of the chaos that surrounded them.

Adelaide Bennett - The Docks
Ada looked around the docks warily. It was strange how it looked completely different in the dark; not to mention how crowded it was since all the ships were grounded. But Ada had been around the docks all her life, and she knew this area like the back of her hand. "Th-this way," she said, starting off in a completely different direction. She held her head high as she weaved through the crowds of people, completely unfazed. This was her turf, and she was determined to keep it that way.

It only took a few minutes for Ada to reach the door of her shop, though it took her a few more minutes to find the key, which she thought for sure she had dropped in the Moon Level until she finally remembered that she had left it above the doorframe. Looking embarrassed at the mistake, she retrieved the key and unlocked the door, leading the way into the mechanic's shop. It was pitch black in the room, as the windows were all grimy and didn't let in what little moonlight there was outside. Ada dashed to the back of the shop. After much clanging and banging, with one or two muted curse words thrown in, there was the growl of an engine starting up, and the shop was suddenly illuminated with small electric, blue lights. Then the engine stopped and the lights flickered out. One more clang. The lights came to life again, and Ada stepped out of the back, looking quite proud of herself as she wiped off her oily hands on her pants.

Sylvia West - The Docks

After locking the door to her apartment, Sylvia rushed out to catch up to the others. Unfortunately, she couldn't find them so quickly in the massive crowd that was in front of her. Floundering to find some space, she stumbled near the edge of the docks, barely managing to keep her footing. Once she pinpointed her location, she headed off in the direction of Ada's workshop which she saw come to life with blue light in the distance. Rushing over, she knocked briefly on the door before bursting her way inside. Little did she realize how dizzy she was as she had been holding her breath out of fear the entire time. She collapsed near the door and put her hands on her temples. "I hate crowds."

Aaron - Ada's Shop
Aaron blinked a little, letting his eyes adjust to the light. "Those are moon level lights. Didnt think they used them up here." He said, a little impressed. He took Ada's bag off his shoulder and set it against a nearby wall. At that moment, Sylvia came bursting into the room. "There you are," Aaron said. "I was beginning to think you were never coming. Lucian still sound asleep?"

Adelaide Bennett - Ada's Shop
"Moon Level lights, no," Ada replied as she examined one of the lights that was burning more dimly than the others. She tapped on the glass that was guarding the bulb and it flickered, but didn't burn any brighter. "My design. Wouldn't give me the schematics. One of a kind." Ada grimaced slightly as she glanced at the back of the shop again. "Generator needs work..." she added regretfully.

Ada jumped as the door suddenly swung open, announcing Sylvia's presence.

Sylvia West - Ada's Shop

She took a few deep breaths in her curled up position near the door, calming herself, then looked up at Aaron to answer his question. "He was still sleeping when I left him. I would've gotten here sooner but... crowds." She didn't have to say any more, anyone who knew she was claustrophobic would know what she meant by that. "Glad you got the lights working, Ada. Makes me feel a lot better."

Aaron - The Docks
"You made these yourself?" Aaron said, eyeing the lights with more interest. It had taken many years for scientists to figure out a decent lighting system for the moon level and how they where made was a closely guarded secret. Aaron wasn't surprised that the schematics weren't readily available. Yet in spite all this girl pulled off pretty decent replica. "That's impressive," he grinned.

Luna - The Docks
Luna paced restlessly up and down the middle of the shop with her head bowed. She was muttering something to herself; something about Sol. Suddenly she stopped. "When do we leave?" she said, addressing no one in particular.

Last edited:
Ada blushed at Aaron's compliment of her work. It was the one thing she really took pride in, because as far as she was concerned, it was the one thing she was good at. She'd been working on these lights for years, though she'd repeatedly been told it was pointless, since the Sun Level didn't need lights, and the Moon Level already had them. Turns out her work wasn't in vain after all. Ada thoughtfully examined one of the blue lights again. "Should be yellow. Like the sun," she said softly to herself. "They're our lights, not theirs."

Ada looked up when Rosanna asked her question. "Ships are grounded. Too many people. Too dark to fly," she said, her eyes trailing off to look out the grimy windows.

Sylvia West - Ada's Shop

She was a little hurt that no one even asked if she was ok, but pushed the petty thought aside and got back to her feet. "Damn right it's too dark to fly. Hopefully within the next couple of hours the crowds will realize that trying to escape Auroris is pointless and they'll go home. After that, we can get you settled Rosanna. Right now though, you might as well get cozy, because I am not going back out there until there's less people." She said adamantly.

Aaron - Ada's Shop
"We're going to need a lot of yellow light if they're ever going to fly again." Aaron said, looking out the same black window. He sighed and slid against the wall. "Guess we're in a bit for a bit of a wait."

Luna - Ada's Shop

Luna huffed and slid against the wall herself, but she didn't seem irritated; just tired. She fingered the yellow lantern that she had been carrying. It still hadn't blown out. The yellow flame flickered and danced inside it's glass enclosure. She stared at it for several minutes, then snuffed it out. She brushed something out of her eye then leaned back against the wall; watching a moth flutter around one of the blue bulbs.

Syliva West - Ada's Shop

While they waited for the crowds to disperse, Sylvia moved over to Luna. "It's best we get our stories straight when we inform my crew of your arrival." She whispered to the goddess, still finding it hard to believe she'd be sheltering her in her own ship. "I need to know what skills you're best at, so I can find you a suitable job on the ship. Make it look convincing to my boys. So let's hear what you've got."

Luna - Ada's Shop
Luna continued to stare at the light for a few moments more before slowly turning her attention to Sylvia. "I can navigate." She said, then turned her attention back to the light.

About an hour had passed before the crowds outside finally began to thin out some, making it easier to navigate the docks. Ada had been actively watching through the window, just waiting for the door outside to clear enough for them to get out, when someone she didn't recognize came up to her shop and knocked on the door. She stood up straight, not really expecting anyone to come here with all the chaos going on, and opened the door cautiously.

"Miss Adelaide Bennett?" the courier asked.

"Y-yes?" Ada replied cautiously.

The courier abruptly handed her an envelope. "They said it's an emergency," he said.

Ada took the envelope, eyes flicking to the courier inquisitively before she tore it open and read the letter inside. After a few moments, her eyes widened. "Oh no..." she breathed. She looked over at the other three in her shop looking positively heartbroken. "I- I have to go," she told them. "My father..." Ada blinked away the growing tears in her eyes and shoved the letter in her pocket as she turned to leave. "Sylvia, watch over the shop for me. The key's on the table," she said softly. And then she was gone, following the courier out of the shop.

Sylvia West - Ada's Shop

When she saw the look in Ada's eyes, Sylvia's heart broke. Ada's father was on death's door, she could feel it, and before she could even find time to comfort her best friend in Auroris, she was gone. Sylvia took the key with a strong grip and wiped a tear from her eye, Ada's father had always been good to her, so to hear that news was hard for her. She turned back to the goddess and Aaron.

"Right, well this complicates things a slight bit. So, Aaron, I'm gonna lock up the shop for Ada, then we'll get Rosanna set up on my ship. If my crew have done their jobs, the girl should only be accessible to me and my boys. While you get settled in, Rosanna, Aaron and I will go shopping to find clothes more suitable for a navigator. We deliver those, and then I can come back and watch the store like Ada asked me too. Sound like a plan?"

Aaron - The Docks
Aaron felt a pang of sadness for the young engineer as she left the building. No one deserved to have that happen to them.
When the door closed behind her he turned to Sylvia. His first thought was that he should stay with Luna, but she was a goddess. She could fend for herself. He waited for Luna's approval.

Luna - The Docks

The goddess nodded not looking up at Sylvia or Aaron "I will wait."

"hey hey watch it!" Argor shouted out into the darkness. What a frickin hellhole this place has become. It already was kind of a shitfest before, but now its even more so. The noise and traffic is beyond control. The whole sun level is in complete darkness and it worries Argor. He worries for the safety of Thompson and Karen. But Karen should know what to do in situations like this. She always does. Even though this particular situation is probably beyond anyone's capabilities. The sudden disappearance of the sun shocked just about everyone including Argor himself. He concluded in his noggin that Sol, the sun God was probably dead. That begs the question, who killed him? God's don't just die or run away in spite. Whoever it was must've been some big hot shot if he or she was able to kill a god.

Argor steps inside his lovely airship and sits down in the cockpit, picking up his sword wrapped in cloth. "Better not leave this in here," he says to himself before getting back out and climbing up to the top of his airship, hoping to be able to get a clear look at everything that's going on at the docks but it was still too dark. He could barely see a thing but he could hear all the noise everyone was making amidst all the chaos. A lot of people were trying to leave Auroris which prompted a sigh from Argor. Who the hell could fly anything in pitch black darkness? It's not like lights are a thing up on the Sun Level.

As if right on cue, the lights to the mechanic's workshop blast on and catches the attention of the people at the docks. Argor squints his eyes nearly shut at the sight of the bright lights. Once his eyes adjusted, he sits down and places his sword inside a compartment next to him. He lets his thoughts drift away as he slowly falls asleep.

An hour later he is awoken when someone bangs on the side of his airship. He looks down but sees no one. Hearing no one call out to him, he assumes that is just some random pedestrian knocking into his ship. He gets up and removed the cloth from his sword before swinging it around his back, tightening the belt of his scabbard. He jumps down and locks his airship door before making his way to the mechanic shop. Since he has nothing better to do, might as well go see if he can make himself useful at the shop. When he was nearing the shop, someone bursts out rushingly following a courier. When he reaches the front door, he gives it a few knocks before waiting for a reply.

Sylvia West - Ada's Shop

Sylvia nodded to her companions, she was about ready to go when she heard a knock at the door. Perfect, because this is the best time to have customers. She opened the door to see a familiar face, Algor Solvinus. He worked for another transport company that happened to own a dock right next to hers, so she'd gotten to know some of the crew rather well. From what she remembered, Algor was a very nice man so it was a pleasant surprise to see him.

"Algor! It's been a while friend. Unfortunately Ada had to take off due to some family business and I'm just closing up shop for her. It's good to see you though. How's business?" She asked her friendly rival pilot.

"hey Sylvia," Algor walks into the shop and looks around. "business is going very well actually. I just earned myself a raise. Perks of being a talkative guy, am I right?" His eyes land on the other two people that were in there with them. "I'm assuming that was Ada who was following the courier just now?" His head turns back around to face Sylvia as he speaks to her.

Algor gets closer to one of the lights that were flickering, putting his finger on one of the bulbs. "These things are incredible..." He says to himself. He turns around to face Sylvia once more. "Is there anything you'd like me to do? I'd like to help out with anything I can since there's nothing else for me to do right now,"

Sylvia West - Ada's Shop

Sylvia was always amazed by the kindness that Algor showed towards others. She hoped that the sweet streak of his would never get taken advantage of. "Well, I'm actually gonna get my newest crew member, Rosanna here, settled on my ship. If you wanted to tag along and combine our airship knowledge then I'd be more than welcome to have you over. We were just on our way out now actually." She said with a smile.

Back