The Girl in the Well

KatsuTheCat

See You Later
Heres a story I did for school! enjoy :)

I’d had enough. How can I survive this without someone by my side? I rushed out of the house and ran down the little dirt path leading to the creek. I splashed some water in my face and began to weep. I had no one. I looked up and spotted a small, musty well through the trees. I carefully walked over to examine it. It looked old and the bricks were crumbling. It smelt like something had died in there. Still, it was good enough. I dropped a coin into the well and whispered,

“I wish for a friend.”

The next day, I picked up my bag and headed back down the little dirt path until I reached the creek. I pulled out a sketch pad and my pencil and started to draw my surroundings. The creek glimmered in the sun and I envied its beauty.
Then I saw it.
Staring at me.

It looks like… a little girl? Except… No, it can’t be because… she’s
see-through?! I must be seeing things. I didn’t get much sleep last night so I must be tired.

I looked away and carried on with my drawing. Was it a ghost? My mama used to tell me stories about ghosts…

“Boo.”
I screamed and dropped my sketch pad into the creek. Before me stood a pale, transparent girl with striking blue eyes. What is this? A dream?
“You’re the one who wished for a friend? Well here I am. My name’s Dawn.” She held out her hand for me to shake it but I was frozen with fear.

I stared into her icy eyes. “What are you?”

“What does it look like? I’m a ghost, moron.”

I definitely do NOT want a ghost for a friend.

I told her my name in a nervous voice which went up like I was asking a question.
“Maya? Common. I think my name’s a lot nicer, don’t you think?”

Can this girl get anymore obnoxious?

“Sorry about your book… I can fix it!”

She floated over to the creek and fished out my ruined book. She muttered some odd sounding words and handed me the now good-as-new sketch pad.

I thanked her. Maybe this dream wouldn’t be so bad after all?
“Um… If you don’t mind me asking… How did you die?”

“I don’t know. All I remember is darkness. A well. They left me to die in there.” She slumped down on a rock and sighed.

“I’m sorry…”

“It’s fine, it’s been ages”

“Well, I’m glad you’re here.” I smiled as I watched her float over to me, her eyes lighting up in the sun.

“I am too” I leaned in to embrace her but she jerked back. “Wait! Stop!” She called out in fear. It was too late. As my fingers touched her, I felt a fizz and she disintegrated in my hands.
I had done it again.
I failed.
I screwed everything up.
My one chance, I threw away.

(as you can tell, I had to rush at the end because we had a word limit)

Back