Arthur King

The Dragonslayer
It is a mistaken belief that angels and demons are different things. They are not. Demons are fallen angels; that is all. As a species, they are called the Firstborn, due to being the first things to be created, even before the heavens and the earth. The main difference is what side of the War they have chosen to be on: Demons living in the Nine Circles, lead by Lucifer (aka the Dragon or Our Father Below), often referred to as the Legions of Hell; and Angels living in heaven, lead by Michael and YHVH (aka God or The Opposition), often referred to as the Heavenly Host. While they share many similarities, angels have the ability to take human form on our planet in order to take on undercover missions, and demons...well, it's not clear whether they can't take on human form due to their separation from the light or if they just prefer human possession and invisibility due to their use of subtle machinations. What IS known is that, when they're visible, they rarely appear as demons. They often appear as other humans or even angels of light in order to trick their victims. However, it is theorized that a strong enough demon can take actual human form without possessing a human and can shapeshift at will between his three appearances. Whether this is true or not, I cannot say, but if it is, I know of ONE demon besides the Dragon who would be capable of such things: Shalman, the Silver-Eyed Demon. He has appeared in many forms to me in person, and is responsible for...well...I'd rather not talk about MY past at this point. Suffice it to say, he and I have had MANY differences.
Besides their apparent inability to take human form, demons have one benefit angels wouldn't: a power called Temptation. It is similar, in some ways, to hypnosis. Not the glamorized hypnosis in the movies where you wave a watch in front of a scantily clad female and she'll instantly commit murder for you, no, rather the real hypnosis, where all they do is plant SUGGESTIONS in your subconscious, and you won't do anything your morals find...too terribly wrong. The problem is they tempt you when you're at your weakest, and it ALWAYS sounds like a good idea. For example, when you're angry, they might tempt you to murder. When you're bored or hungry (even if it's just mildly), they might tempt you to steal. It's always possible to resist, mind, no matter how strong the Temptation is.
Angels, on the other hand, have the ability to enhance the feats of mortals: helping them lift cars in times of need, granting healing abilities, things like that.
Finally, it is important to note that any Angel can Fall and any Demon can be redeemed. All Angels have ONE Fatal Flaw that can lead them to the Dragon (anger, lust, pride, etc.) and all demons have one Redeeming Trait to lead them back to Salvation (Love, Joy, Peace, etc.), the issue is that the Dragon was "granted" (for lack of a better term) one third of the Host for his Legions, so for every Demon that's Redeemed, one Angel must fall, and vice-versa. This is necessary to the Balance of the World.

-Excerpt from the journal of Sir Manthis Dragonslayer

Back