Interest Check A Cage of Open Doors: a Fantastical D&D-based RP with a focus on realistic characters

Lazzamore

WAAAAAAAAAA-
latest

A Cage of Open Doors

The Gist

Hello again! New idea, same routine. I have one friend who already told me they were willing to give this a shot. I really only need one other player to pull this one off, but if it takes off I’ll go as high as taking three of you (making the group count five).

A Cage of Open Doors is set in the D&D Setting of Planescape, in Sigil, the magical flying city that connects literally anywhere in the multiverse to everywhere in the multiverse. It is a fantastical place were the walls between dimensions is thin enough to be opened up in any doorway, window, or vaguely passage-way shaped opening. Naturally, this makes it the center of trade for the universe at large.

For those unfamiliar with the old D&D setting, I’ll expound what you’ll need to know later. First though, you need the basics of our story.

The Story of this RP is very free form. Players will make their own goals, or I will make things happen to them as we go. These goals can be anything – But I would encourage you to be realistic. This RP is an exploration of the average, domestic life within a place as fantastical as Sigil, so expect the things that happen to your characters to be gritty and realistic in scope.

Beyond that, where we go with the story will begin with some push from me for momentum, but I hope to eventually let you guys guide the stories. Finally, to form some cohesion in the group, let’s limit ourselves thusly: You all live, work, or otherwise spend a considerable amount of time in a small region of the city called “Pleasantry Lake”. Pleasantry Lake has a lot of crime, poor infrastructure and a wide array in quality of homes and businesses, all mixed together. It is between the Guildhall Ward and the Clerks Ward of the city, and for whatever reason, you know this neighborhood well. not far away is the Great Gymnasium, home of the afluent Transcendent Order, and to the opposite direction is the Hall of Speakers itself, which is where the factions meet to debate legislation and govern the city.

A bit about Planescape

Every world in D&D is connected by Inner and Outer planes. The Inner Planes, or Elemental Planes, make up the base components and natural concepts of worlds, and are more-or-less the source of the four elements. The outer planes are not so simple; They represent souls, intelligence and complex thought, and are comprised of afterlives.

In the middle of all 12 of the primary Afterlives/Outer Planes is a great wheel called the Outlands, and in the center of that is a mighty ‘spoke’, a column of stone over which hovers Sigil.

Sigil is a city built on the inverse side of a giant flying ring. It was built and is run by the Maiden of Pain, a mysterious figure who mostly keeps to herself. 15 “factions” are also deputized to govern the city, each one with a distinct role in government, industry or culture.

But look. I cannot do the setting justice here. To read more, here’s the wiki.

Our Characters

Any intelligent being you can think would have a reason to live in the city is acceptable. Your character can come from any campaign setting published for D&D (within reason) or from the Outlands itself. Many people hail from the planes, especially Sigil, not just the resting (or tormented, sometimes) souls of the dead. I recommend picking a character that is vaguely human in needs, but I could be persuaded to allow more ideas, so long as it’s cool and your excited.

Some examples include the D&D races, of course; Angelic humanoids (Often called Aasimar); Devilish Humanoids (often called Tieflings); Genasi (Elemental Humanoids); and Genies (elemental spirits) all might find a nook in Sigil, and so many more. Go nuts!

If you are interested in this idea, comment below! I’ll be working on posting character sheets.

:p What if i have a character already ready? Can i send it to you over discord to see if it works? c: I actually have a old DnD character sheet from my old campaign before this stuff happened haha

Feel free, can't wait to see it! Also, we're not actually going to be using D&D rules, just to clarify, it's a standard Forum RP using the setting.

OOC thread is done. Please head over their to fill out your characters!

Back