A Cage of Open Doors [Sign-ups + OOC]

Lazzamore

WAAAAAAAAAA-
Our Sign up page for this RP. I will keep a character directory here shortly, and the template sheet which I have written.

A Cage of Open Doors is a Free Form RP of average lifestyles in the dangerous and fantastical city of Sigil, of Planescape Fame. I did not invent Sigil, so if you wish to learn more about it, please head to this wiki. It's a fascinating read, I assure you.

Our characters can be OC's from the Planescape setting, or any other D&D setting, and as an addendum: Also any setting you invent yourself - Often it's helpful to understand a new setting by playing the part of a newcomer IC, afterall. This RP takes place in a low-rent Neighborhood/district within Sigil called Pleasantry Lake. It possesses barely either of those things. For whatever reason you find your self there, however.

Anyways, on to the Character Sheet:
Name: [of character]

Sex: [of character]

Age: [of character. Due to the varied relative lifespans of the many creatures in the multiverse, a vague age group will suffice]

Race/Ethnicity: [What are they? What’s their heritage?]

Appearance: [A picture will suffice, or a paragraph about their outward appearance, dress and mannerisms.]

Quirks and notable traits: [What do people remember about your character? Anything about them that is odd or just most prominent goes here]

Plane of Birth: [Can be any D&D setting, including Sigil, Elemental Planes, or the Outlands. You can even make one up yourself, if that makes this easier!]

Please Describe: [Answer each question with any and all details you can think of, the more you put the more I have to work with as GM.]

What notable things have happened in your character’s life? [Biography/Hiistory, basically]

What was living their life like for your character in their formative years?

What is your character’s ultimate goal and highest aspiration right now?

What makes them want to accomplish that specific goal?

Finally, any questions are best asked here. Thank you for your interest!

Addendum: if anyone thinks of multiple characters, feel free to run as many as you feel comfortable with. I may end up with two or three, myself.

Last edited:
Name: Vladimir Verenich
Race: Human mage
Plane of Birth: The snowy and cold plane of Volsk
Personality: He's a little spacey, dedicated to fun, usually pretty calm and level headed, happy-go-lucky, and cheerful
History: He doesn't like to talk about it. He says it doesn't matter as much as the present or future. What is known is that he left home while still a teenager and found himself in the company of some rather unsavory mercenaries. Not the greatest of environments for a young, delicate boy. He managed to escape the barbarians and found his way into the company of a group of clerics traveling to Sigal. Once he reached Sigal, he never left, carving a small niche for himself as an entertainer, illusionist, and bard. He claims his only goals and aspirations are to learn to pull off the greatest and most complicated illusions for the enjoyment of children. However, when everything is calm and he is not trying to hide behind his glamorous masks, his eyes take on a distant look.
Please describe:
What are your character's highest aspiration/ultimate goal? What makes them want to accomplish that goal?
Honestly, he just wants to hide. Hide from himself, his past, and a few people he once knew, such as the mercenaries. He used to have goals and aspirations, but after his last goal attempt ended in disaster, he seems almost frightened to have dreams of his own. Now the only desire he allows us the desire to make people laugh and smile.
Abilities: Primarily glamours and illusions, minor incantations, and weak levitation spells (he is not powerful by any means, but he is clever with his magick)
Other: he keeps a pocket dragon
Quirks and notable traits: He tends to be flamboyant in mannerisms and looks, waving his hands, wearing bright clothing, that sort of thing.
Appearance: 5' 6", red hair, slender build, always dresses in bright colors in multiple layers
Pixiv.Fantasia.full.306057.jpg

Let me know if I need to change anything

Last edited:
Their is one thing, you forgot to put the descriptions section. I could use the second two questions at least. Your 'history' field answers the first, though, and though you beat me to it but I was going to add a history field myself!

Here's my own character too.
Name: Ron MacHanover

Sex: Male

Race/Ethnicity: Human, Scottish

Appearance:
264f3d00a38aff37bacc4d07323cdd95.jpg

Quirks and notable traits: Ron has a dark sense of humor, and yet a noble presence in the room. Somewhere inside, perceptive onlookers can sense a mental wound that has simply never healed... Any spirit of the outer planes can readily see the aberrant taint that mars his soul.

Plane of Birth: Earth, as per Call of Cthulhu

Please Describe:

What notable things have happened in your character’s life?

Ron was born in 1911 to the poet James MacHanover and his young wife Margaret MacHanover, aboard the train from rural scotland travelling to the big city of London. James would then die, having contracted the spanish flu, and leaving his wife and young son essentially destitute with practically no inheritance.

Ron was always troubled, and he went off to join the Navy at the first opportunity during the onset of World War 2. This experience changed him in many ways. Firstly he straightened out his life, and secondly he became an ardent Anglican (despite his parents both having been Calvinist Puritans – this would form an awkward rift with his mother.)

But the main change the Navy brought him was in battle. Whilst retaking an island off the north french coast, he encountered an Eldritch Cult that were fighting on behalf of their Nazi benefactors. His platoon eradicated them, but not before Ron’s soul was marked by what he saw that day. Ron himself has blocked out the memory of that mission – insisting to himself that his mangled hand was thanks to German war hounds...

Years later, Ron retired to London. Living alone in his apartment up until 1951, his life was simple and brooding. Then one day, fate found him.

His downstairs neighbor in his apartment was a cultist of Cthulhu, a similar cult to the one he eradicated, in fact. And he was running out of time. With the mysterious Inspector Henderson approaching to murder this cultist, he had to quickly create a magical portal. The easiest and fastest escape route, of course, would take him to Sigil, in the great wheel, where he could regroup. But fate had other plans; The portal failed to take the Cultist anywhere, Henderson burst down the door, and shot and killed the Cultist.

Ron, hearing the gunshot while taking a crap, pulled up his trousers and grabbed his Lucky Baseball Bat, and went out his bathroom door to investigate the sound. Instantly, Ron was teleported into the Streets of Sigil, and the portal closed behind him.

What was living their life like for your character in their formative years?

Ron’s parents were loving, and his fathers death with he was young was sorely felt. His mother, who tended to be overbearing, worked hard to form him into a good calvinist. Of course, the harder she tried, the more starkly she would fail. It would take combat situations and naval commanders to make Ron see the error in delinquency.

Ron has lived in Sigil for a few years, and misses London’s technology, Jazz music, and amazingly, canned Spam. He is desperate to repair any semblance of home, but an inner conflict brews inside of him, as his curiosity for these new worlds grow

Ron is frightened by the world he finds himself in and it’s implications. He truly wishes to survive, but he is almost as afraid to thrive as he is to die.

Lastly, I do have a further addendum to mention: if anyone thinks of multiple characters, feel free to run as many as you feel comfortable with. I may end up with two or three, myself.

I made some adjustments. I hope they work for you!

If love to add more characters, but I think I'll start with one and get the hang of things.

Name: Daytrix Leveyna

Sex: Female

Race/Ethnicity: Half-Elf (Father is human, mother is half-elf)

Appearance: [A picture will suffice, or a paragraph about their outward appearance, dress and mannerisms.]

Without the instrument add a cloak and tan skin, couldnt find any other one that would fit her better ^^'

But she has white hair, and icy blue eyes that are normally covered with a cloak. And she dresses like in the picture and she has a scar going from her right cheek down to the side of her neck.

Quirks and notable traits: [What do people remember about your character? Anything about them that is odd or just most prominent goes here]

She is very observant and loves to watch people do there own thing. She has a quirk about if she sees something shiny she will go after it. one of her notable traits is she likes to try to help people but at the same time she likes to do them dirty and if she does anything for them she charges them a arm and a leg (sometimes literally and sometimes figuritifly. depends on what is asked.)

Plane of Birth: [Can be any D&D setting, including Sigil, Elemental Planes, or the Outlands. You can even make one up yourself, if that makes this easier!]

She was born in a small village about 3 or 4 days travel from Sigil.

Please Describe: [Answer each question with any and all details you can think of, the more you put the more I have to work with as GM.]

What notable things have happened in your character’s life? [Biography/Hiistory, basically] What was living their life like for your character in their formative years?

She has been chosen as the next Cheiftan of her small village but she didn't want to be cheiftan so she left on her own free will to go on adventures and to learn new stuff. Her father being Human had a hard time when he married her mother, the village is made up of all elves except for one or two half-elves. Growing up has been somewhat hard for Daytrix sothat is another reason why she had left. Her father had past away when she was around 26 so it was only her mother and her until her mother had passed when Daytrix had just turned 79. After her Mother had passed was when she was chosen to be cheiftan and is when she had decided to go own her own journey and ended up in Sigil to try to find jobs to do. While she was traveling she had stumbled upon the portal that was somewhat hidden by branches and brush and ended up in Sigil by accident. While she was there she found that she felt like she belonged there and never left afterwards.

Daytrix doesn't have a ultimate goal as of right now besides to make money and to live her life as she can. Her aspiration is to learn new things and to try out anything and everything.

To Daytrix, she wants to make her mother and father happy that she is making a name for herself (Be it good name or a bad one) She knows that they just want her to be happy with doing something she wants to do instead of being pushed into something that she doesn't want to do.

((If need anything else let me know.))

Last edited:
Good characters all around, I like them both!

A few things for MinionLeopard to keep in mind, though: Since Sigil flies, the only way in or out is via teleportation and magic portals. Which is readily available, of course, just figured you should know. Since the outlands is a flat wheel shaped plane and Sigil hovers over a spire, you can see it from anywhere on the horizon. Finally, the closer you get to this spire, the less "magical" everything is. Gods are known to use the base of the spire to converse in relative safety this way. This mysteriously doesn't apply to Sigil itself, in which magic works fine.

No need to change anything for either of you, and I'll try to get the IC thread up sometime tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Name: Sebastian Manx

Sex: Male

Race/Ethnicity: Human/cat/thing

Quirks and notable traits: Sebastian tends to enjoy catching naps in odd places, especially if said places are warm or sunlit. He also highly enjoys playing with any random thing, dancing, playing pranks, and watching birds. He hates dogs with a passion. He is very childish even still, despite the time he has spent on his own in the streets, yet wary of most people. A final odd trait is his tendency to sing nonsense songs, usually about what he's doing or seeing. Most people notice that before anything else.

Plane of Birth: Sigil, he thinks, his family moved a lot

Please Describe/history:
Sebastian is the product of a strange mishap between magic and alchemy. His father was a loving man, a decent husband and father, but a little too obsessed with alchemy and magic. He tried to be there for his family, but he was often distracted and lost track of time in his lab, much to his mother's exasperation. One day, when Sebastian was 10, he went into his father's lab to see what his father was doing. His father never let him stay and watch! Except for this one time, his father allowed it. And that was the day when the family cat also snuck in. Sebastian was holding the cat when the experiment his father was working on exploded. Four days later, Sebastian woke to find his body and the cat's had been fused. He was now half cat, half boy, and all mutant.
His parents tried to make the proper adjustments, but his mother cried nearly every time she saw him, and his father could barely resist trying to poke and prod his own son as an experiment. Finally, when Sebastian was 13, he could take it no longer and ran away. He made a new life for himself on the streets of Sigal as a pickpocket and minor cat burglar. He does his best to avoid violence and is far more interested in running away than fighting. He is highly mischievous and loves playing pranks, but he isn't bad at heart. Just lost.
His ultimate goal is to someday live in a mansion! It's a child's dream, but one he clings to tightly. He dreams of having a big house with lots of money, his own aviary, a wing just for pet cats, and a thousand friends! He doesn't know how to accomplish his dream just yet, but he will. Someday.

Appearance: Slender and gangly, like an untrained gymnast or a runner or swimmer, 5'6" in height, looks like a cat and a human mashed together. Bright blonde hair with black cat ears, green eyes, and a black tail.
4b1dcfed9fd90de997c6c73e0bbe9aca--yurio-plisetsky-wallpaper-yuri-on-ice-wallpaper.jpg

Hey sorry for the slowness in coming up with that IC thread, i'm a bit overwhelmed with life right now... It's frankly been tough to juggle everything. I'm going to be a bit, unfortunately, but (since I have some other friends to help me) I think I can have the nation-building RP up soon-ish, maybe a week to write some entries on a wiki? If that still interests you guys. beyond just writing to this wiki, I really have only one more RP in me right now, so I was wondering what you guys would prefer I do: the OP for this, or starting that Nation Build with you two?

I am so sorry for not responding. I got super busy with work and a six month old daughter and a boyfriend who is now out of work for now becaus =e of everything that is going on so ive been working more. and its just been hectic.

Back