A Dance in the Moonlight

The woman sniffled, wiping tears from her eyes. "I can feel their poor, tortured souls even now!"

"No you can't," the husband muttered.

"How utterly terrible!" she continued, ignoring him. "I could not possibly live in a house with such restless spirits."

"I don't believe in resltess spirits, but that was pretty disturbing," the husband admitted.

"I am so terribly sorry" Amara said again as she showed them out of the house "can I offer you some cold water? I have some in a cooler.."

"No, thank you," Mrs. said firmly. "I need to collect myself."

"We'll call you later," Mr. stated as he hustled his wife to the car.

"Very well..." she saw them out to the car at least before looking back at the house, hesitating. Perhaps she had better clean it up herself to avoid getting into any sort of trouble.

So after they drove off she headed back inside

When night fell, Irie slowly wandered through the house. People had been here. Someone had cleaned up the rat. That was nice, but... why? He went to the window and looked out. The moon was not as bright tonight, giving him a chance to look out in the first time in weeks. Wait... That was a for sale sign in his yard! Did that mean... He growled softly. They'd sell his house over his dead body! Or something like that.

Quietly, he went around the house. He didn't actually have anything better to do, so he cleaned up the house a bit and dusted. Then he deliberarately removed some of the hinges on two of the doors and closed them. There. They'd fall if anyone opened them. It wasn't the greatest of pranks, but it was the best he could think of on short notice without much energy.

The prank worked rather well when she returned to show the house to another couple, crying out in surprise when the door fell off and the clatter caused the others to fall too, that was when she noticed the claw marks for the first time, successfully spooking her and the potential buyers

The next night, Irie went around to every light fixture and took out any dead bulbs. Only the dead ones, leaving in the good ones. The dead ones he stored in his hidey hole for the future. Then he hunted out the plates, cups, and other breakable things he could find that had been forgotten in the corners of the cupboards and similar. Then he went to the different rooms and threw them against the walls, smashing them as loudly as he could to draw attention from the neighbors then leaving the broken and splintered glass in different rooms.

Amara came early to check everything this time, and was both glad and upset that she had. Finding herself spooked. How was someone getting in there!? Not quite buying the haunted theory.

"If you're in here! This is not funny!" She called into the empty house "I need to sell this house! If you're here. Come out!" She fell silent and listened

Since he could only sleep through the sunlight, Irie made no reply. He could do nothing until the next night. The next night, he caught three rats! It was his lucky night! Fueled with a little more energy this night, he started rearranging the furniture. If he could have, he would have attached it to the cealing. Since he couldn't, he settled for setting for setting up the dinning room in the master bath and putting what other furniture he could find in the living room to create a large bedroom. Then, utterly exhausted, he crawled back to bed even though it was early.

Once again the potential buyers were scared off but Amara was still convinced it was merely a prank. Nothing as disturbing as the rats had happened yet. Determined, she put up some nanny cams in a few of the rooms

Irie spotted one of the cams the instant he emerged from the kitchen floor under the table. He thanked his lucky stars he hadn't moved the table and slipped out slowly. Nanny cams didn't have wide camera lens, meaning it was easy to sneak around the blind spots if you knew where they were pointing.

This time, Irie decided to go more extreme. He couldn't find more rats, but he did have the drained bodies of the three from yesterday. After some thought, he found an opened door and hung all three up on the back of the door across from a mirror. You could not see them even in the reflection walking in, but as you turned to leave, they showed up plain as day. Hopefully that would do. Then he went back to bed.

Amara checked the cameras on her phone, saw nothing except possibly moving shadows..but that could be anything.

So once more she came to show the house, the rats successfully creeping everyone put again, even her. She had checked all th4 cameras! Nobody had been there

That night she came back but parked across the street to stake it out

His rat hunt came up dry again. There was no particular reason for rats to come around here. There was something hunting them and no easy access to food. Why would they want to come around here? Still, he tried.

When Irie had exhausted his rat hunting attempts, he started trying to figure out what to do now. The rats seemed to give the biggest results, and the broken pottery hadn't been bad. After some thought, he started carefully taking down the nanny cams, rearranging their set up to point into bathrooms and weird angles, placing some of them where people could see them easily. That done, he replaced some of the good lightbulbs with his stash of dead bulbs. He didn't have many, but it was enough to be interesting. Then he threw the good bulbs about, breaking them loudly. The neighbors would love that!

Amara stayed up nearly the entire night watching the house, listening to her ipod so she did not hear the crashing bulbs

When morning finally came she jolted awake to the sound of a truck passing, she rubbed her eyes and looked around, not quite light yet...so she grabbed a flashlight and climbed out "alright pranksters if you managed to get in there again.." then what? She didn't know.

So she tried to be sneaky as she walked up to the house, not turning the light on yet. Maybe she could catch someone in the act?

Irie very nearly did not get out of the way in time. He heard the door opening and lightly ran into the adjoining room, seeking to stay out of sight. He had to make it to his cubby hole! But in a way that this tresspasser wouldn't see him. Or hear him. Or notice at all.

Amara nervously looked around before stepping fully in and drawing a breath "ok...whoever you are....I'm going to call the ..police.." ahe tried to sound brave, flicking on the light

The light did not turn on. It was one of the bulbs Irie had replaced with a dead bulb. A good thing, too, or she likely would have seen him. Irie crouched in the dining room peering around the corner at the woman. Her heartbeat was so hypnotizing! He swallowed hard, trembling. She smelled of fresh blood. Of food. Of life!

He shook himself. No, no, hold on! Do not attack. Do not attack. Distract. He felt the two remaining light bulbs in his hand. He took one and lobbed it as silently as he could over her head. As soon as it smashed and she looked away, he'd make a run for the kitchen.

Amara jumped with a squeel of surprise and turned to see the smashed bulb, her heart raced as she quickly lifted the flashlight and flicked that on instead. She turned back again "who's there!"

While her back was turned, Irie took the opportunity to bolt into the kitchen. He didn't dare try to get into the cubby hole yet, so instead, he climbed into a cupboard and opened it slightly so he could watch. As he shifted, his foot hit another door, making it creak as it swung open. In the silence, the creak sounded like a deathly squeal.

Amara jumped a little and turned towards the sound "ok..ok spirit..or whatever demon you are..." She stuck the flashlight under her arm and pulled out sage and a lighter, lighting the bundle "lets cleanse the house of you huh...I gotta sell this place"

Back