A Hand for a Kingdom

Joyful people bowed and cheered as Bran led his new bride down the aisle and back into the castle. He didn't smile, but he wasn't frowning, either. After so many dark nights, it was good to see his people so happy once more, and Kezia's hand in his felt... nice. He led her to the ballroom while people hurried ahead of them, the servants laying out a carpet of petals. They smiled, bowing excitedly. One young fellow - no more than perhaps fourteen - bowed so enthusiastically he fell over, his wings flopping awkwardly. Bran stopped and waited patiently for him to sort himself out, only giving him a slight nod of amusement as the red-faced boy scurried out of the way.

Bran led Kezia up to the bride and groom's table and pulled out her chair for her before sitting, himself. Only now did his cloak move, revealing itself not to be a leather cloak at all, but in fact two bat-like wings. He held them out while he sat then delicately folded them over his shoulders once more, the single claw on each wing joint comfortably hooking once more.

The reception was much smaller than the wedding party, and servants hurried to bring food and drink to the king and queen. Music already rang through the halls as laughter soared.

Kezia smiled gently at the people they passed them down the aisle. Everyone was happy, it warmed her heart to know she had done something to cheer her people up. The ballroom seemed even more beautiful when it was full of people, The lights and petals that littered the room made it vibrant and lively. Kezia had the urge to dance, but held fast, there was a time for everything. When the young boy fell she smiled at him lightly and watched as he rushed off, even the king's people were lively.

Kezia nodded to him, "Thank you." She whispered softly before sitting down. When his cloak moved she turned towards him. She watched as he unfolded his wings and sat down before they neatly folded themselves. Kezia stared at him in slight wonder before composing herself. 'Of course, he has wings you fool, he's a Nyx after all.' She watched as people laughed and filled the room with light. When the servants brought her food she thanked them and stared at the mass of people. The music rang through the room, oh how she wished she could dance. Kezia spotted Marin off to the side and waved smiling at her.

Marin moved over to stand in front of the table where her lady was, "Congratulations on your union Your Majesty!" Marin curtsied and lifted herself smiling before moving next to Kezia. "Princess please liven up, we can dance later on in the night. Please excuse me my lady, and get to know your husband." Marin excused herself from the table and went off to help the other servants.

Kezia looked at Bran, she was nervous. Was she supposed to speak? Did he even like dancing? Maybe she was overthinking. She turned her gaze back to the table and chewed her lip wringing her hand under the table as she wondered what she should ask first.

Bran felt as awkward as a stall cleaner sitting here at a king's table, but he schooled his face not to show it. He was the king. Had been for twenty-five... no, thirty? Many years now. He belonged here! Even if he didn't always feel like he deserved it, and now he had a wife sitting by his side. He tried not to listen in on Kezia's conversation with her maid as he watched the people swirling around the room. Most were not human, but humans still had a decent representation. Some of the Nyx in attendance had put silver or gold chains draped carefully over their wings, making the normally dull-colored appendages glitter spectacularly. No one was dancing yet, waiting patiently to be told to begin.

Bartholomew smiled as he glided up and bowed deeply. "Your Majesties! May I congratulate you on your beautiful wedding! Will you please join us on the dance floor?" He smiled brightly, glancing between Kezia and Bran as he straightened.

Bran hesitated. "If the Princess should like," he slowly replied, accidentally using her now former title. He glanced at her. Could she dance in that dress?

Kezia's attention snapped up when she heard the lord Veldkamps voice. "Your Majesties! May I congratulate you on your beautiful wedding! Will you please join us on the dance floor?" Kezia looked at Bran and smiled, "If the Princess should like," Her eyes lit up at the thought. "Yes, your Majesty. I would love to dance. " She stood up and smiled at him happily, she waited until he was ready to move from the table, as a lady should. She didn't think he would hold out his hand so she only stood and waited until he moved.

Oh. She seemed almost eager for the dance. That seemed to imply she was a good dancer. Bran bit his tongue to keep from sighing. Ah, well, it had been an entire day since he'd embarrassed himself. Might as well make up for it by embarrassing himself in front of everyone at once.

Bran rose, his wings rustling softly as they readjusted slightly. Maintaining a mask over his emotions, he walked around the front of the table and held out his hand to Kezia before walking down to the center of the dance floor. As they moved, the murmuring of happy voices fell away, and the gathered people seemed to melt to the edges of the room, leaving the newlyweds alone in the center of the room. The musicians paused, watching as Bran moved to carefully take Kezia in his arms, feeling wooden and stiff. The music began and Bran started moving to the only dance he knew, a fairly common if simple dance.

Kezia curtsied at his Majesty before taking his hand and allowed him to guide her to the front of the table. Formalities she presumed, kept him polite. She heard the hush fall over the room and looked toward her lord. His face was blank and stern, she examined his profile from the corner of her eye. Did he not enjoy dancing? Had she not noticed sooner and jumped the gun? She wasn't sure, but if he did indeed not like dancing she suddenly felt a pang of guilt for forcing him too. Kezia gently placed her hands, one in his and one against his side. Their movements ere stiff and simple, it seemed almost awkward to her. Kezia looked up at Bran and whispered, "My lord, do you not fancy dancing? My apologies if I have made you uncomfortable." Kezia looked at him apologetically before speaking again. "Your Majesty, if you wish we can stop dancing, I do not mind. Whatever would please your Majesty." She nodded her head to him and lowered her eyes once more as they continued, she did not wish to make him any more uncomfortable than he already was. She was feeling rather guilty from the fact, and very nervous.

Bran tried not to clear his throat as he carefully counted the steps. Did his discomfort show so clearly? Damn. He'd been trying to hide it. He really should have listened to his butler's nagging and taken up more dancing lessons, at least for today. That would have been as much for Kezia's benefit as for his own.

"I have not had much occasion to dance," he admitted quietly, still trying to follow the pattern in his head. At least so far, he had succeeded in not stepping on her toes. "I am at a disadvantage, but if we should stop now, it would appear strange."

Others gradually glided onto the floor, hiding the King and his new Queen among their swishing finery. Bran felt grateful. Now his awkwardness would not be quite so glaringly obvious. Perhaps a turn or two around the floor, then he could retreat to his chair. Others would desire to dance with the new queen, and if she liked dancing, he would not begrudge them the opportunity.

Kezia chuckled slightly when he cleared his throat before smiling apologetically and stared up at him, "Your Majesty, if I am allowed to suggest...If you'd like once the festivities are over I'd be happy to teach you how to dance." She was grateful for the people that joined them on the dance floor and saw the relief reflect in his eyes. She held his hand and moved from him a bit to spin herself before gliding back towards his arms. "I do not mind your dancing in the least my lord," Kezia mumbled to herself before Marin walked over to them.

Marin smiled and curtsied to her new King, "Pardon me Your Majesty, but I was hoping to grab my lady to come dance with me. Hopefully, I can also find Matilda in the masses." The music had changed to a more fast-paced tempo and Kezia had stopped dancing to see what Marin had to say. She still held onto his hand as she looked up at him for his response. "If his Majesty will allow it."

Bran looked at Marin, puzzled. Marin was a servent. Why was she coming forward so boldly and interrupting the royals? She had no place here, certainly not dancing with the new queen, but Kezia did not seem fazed at all. Perhaps it was a Pinlyn thing. Furthermore, females dancing together? That was something he'd only seen in the lower classes, but he simply nodded. "If you would like, of course. Enjoy yourselves." He handed Kezia off to Marin then turned and glided back to the raised table.

Kezia stared at her husband's puzzled expression, of course, he was confused. Marin was being too familiar and treating them as equals, usually, Marin would have known better. But, she had assumed Marin might have drunk a glass of wine by mistake from the tint of her cheeks. Kezia leaned to Bran's ear and whispered, "My apologies your majesty, she feeling unlike herself. I believe she may have mistaken the wine for cider." Kezia gave him an apologetic smile and curtsied before being pulled to the dance floor. "Marin compose yourself, you forget where you are." Marin chuckled before seeing the stern look on her lady's face, it took a moment to process before she flushed. "My apologies princess, I believe I will excuse myself for a moment to regain my being." Kezia sighed and watched Marin walk off before she felt a small tap on her should. She turned her head faced with her elder brother, the king of Pinelyn. "If I may be so kind as to ask her Majesty to a dance?" Kezia grit her teeth and held back a frown, giving him instead, a smile. She was in public this was no time to quarrel. "Yes, brother. I would be delighted." Kezia curtsied to her brother before taking his hand, they glided gracefully across the floor. Her expression was blank, suddenly irritated by her brother's presence. "Kezia, I must say. Tis' such a feat you have chosen for this kingdom. We are now more profitable than ever, father would be exceptionally proud." Keiza furrowed her brows, of course, he was only here to congratulate her sacrifice, as though it had been an option. The music stopped and Kezia pulled away from her brother clenching the sides of her dress bit smiling at him. "Thank you for the dance brother dearest."

Bran returned to his seat and watched quietly. After Marin had taken her leave - it looked like Matilda had materialized to look after her - a fine gentleman appeared and swept Kezia up. He looked familiar. He gestured quietly to Bartholomew, and the lord instantly made himself available. Lord Veldkamp knew what the question was before Bran could even ask.

"That would be King Jonah of Pinelyn, your Queen's brother," Bartholomew murmured.

"She does not appear happy to see him," Bran commented. He watched the dance, knowing the music was about to end. If Kezia truly liked to dance, he couldn't let her end on that kind of a note. He glanced around the room, and someone caught his eye. He leaned over to Bartholomew and murmured something. The lord nodded and slipped away.

The music ended, and Kezia was ending the dance with her brother. A tall, lithe, red-headed vampire glided up to Kezia and Jonah. He smiled, his dark eyes sparking mysteriously, and bowed gracefully. "I do beg the intrusion, your Majesty, My Lady, but may I have the extreme pleasure of a dance with my new queen?" he purred, every inch a victorian-style gentleman.

Kezia was just turning to leave before being faced with the vampire, her hands relaxed and she smoothed the front of her dress. Beast or not she was relieved for the escape. Jonah was all but cowering behind his younger sister. She laid her hand in his, "I'm sure my brother- King Pinelyn wouldn't mind in the slightest. Isn't that correct?" Kezia turned to her brother a soft smile on her face. Jonah gulped and nodded sweating a bit his words shaky but clear. "Why-why yes of course. If you would please excuse me, my lady." He all but scampered away like a bug from the both of them. Kezia chuckled and bowed her head to the man before her. "I must thank you. I was not aware my discomfort was so blatant. If I may ask the name of my helper?" Her face was brighter than just a few moment's prior, she happily smiled at the music and her steps seemed lighter.

The vampire gave her a brilliant smile as he took her hand and led her out onto the dance floor. "But of course! My name is Lance. Lance Dwyer," he said smoothly. "Lord Veldkamp was alerted by my Lord, King Anatolie, that you needed rescue from a... unfortunate situation." He was a far better dancer than King Dwyer was, and he led her into a spritely dance. His touch was gentle, professional, and firm, his steps light and quick, yet mindful of his partner's needs. "I was only too happy to help, of course."

Kezia's cheek darkened only slightly hearing he was sent to her aid by his Majesty. "I will be most certain to thank His Majesty later. But as well, thank you Sir Lance for coming to my aid. The King of Pinelyn and I are not on pleasant terms." Kezia frowned but quickly dismissed the thoughts swarming her and looked up at Lance with a smile. Kezia glided gracefully with him, laughing in delight. "Why I must say Sir Lance, you are an extraordinary dancer!" Kezia spun and smiled, lighting up the room and faces of people as she danced. People danced around her or just simply stared in awe at the beautiful creature. Once again in this colorful room, she looked ethereal almost angelic. She continued to lose herself in the music, her spirit, and body controlling her fluid movements.

King Anatolie Bran Dwyer watched Kezia with something like satisfaction, and something like pleasure. She was happy. Perhaps they would never love each other in the way of poems and sappy tales, but he cared about her even now. He would give her what he could, even if he could not give her love. However he could make this angel happy, he would.

Lance laughed lightly. "Though we are in a most prestigious affair, you may call me Lance, if you would prefer. Sir Lance makes me sound like a knight, which I am not." He listened to the music, timed it properly, then lifted her up in a soaring spin above his head before setting her lightly on her feet once more. "Thank you for the compliment," he grinned.

Kezia held her arms out as she soared, how she longed to be free to make decisions like a bird. Marin and Matilda were not wrong, these people were not beasts. Much less so than her brother, not all of them, the ones she met thus far had been very kind. "It is my pleasure to be able to dance with such a skilled dancer... I have no preference, but Sir Lance would be proper. A lady should not call a man informally, it is not proper where I was raised." Her smile did not falter but her eyes flickered an emotion if only brief. The music stopped if only for a small moment to change. Kezia curtsied to Lance and glanced up at him, "Thank you for this dance, Sir Lance. It was truly enjoyable." Kezia didn't yet walk away from him, she wanted to chat ask many questions about this homeland and his kind. But, she also knew it wasn't proper for a married woman to do so, her father often told her that. She also wondered if he was close to the King. He had been so considerate of her, even though she was still wary of him she did wish to be able to return his kindness.

"Ah, you are correct, Your Highness. Sir Lance, it is!" He smiled graciously and gave her a sweeping bow in return for her curtsy. He paused for a moment, giving her time to move away. "Would my Lady like another dance? Or perhaps to strol around the floor and meet a few of her subjects?" he offered. If they danced, she would only have him to talk to, but if she wanted to meet others, walking with him would give her a chance. Of course, she was well within her rights to say she was tired and retreat to her chair without causing offense.

Kezia smiled, "I will decline on the dance, I have had my fill for the night. But, yes I would like to meet some of my new subjects." She helped the relief didn't sho on her face, she was pleased he had suggested the idea. She looked to Bran and only smiled sweetly giving him a small nod, she wondered if he was lonely or bored sitting by himself.

Jonah had managed to sneak away but made his way over to the bride and groom's table where Bran sat. He smiled and bowed before looking to Bran. "Congratulations King Bran on your union to my younger sister. My father would be pleased to see the transmissions our two kingdoms have made together." He smiled devilishly, he was a handsome man, brown blonde hair but green eyes instead of his sister's hazel.

Lance smiled and offered his arm to her so she might rest her hand on his elbow before gliding off the dance floor. He guided her around the edge of the floor, indicating a few people on the floor and telling her their names and their relations to each other or their positions in the court. Those standing watching the dancers took note of their approach and quietly bowed or curtsied before slipping away. It seemed none wanted to stay near enough for a proper conversation even though they were almost painfully polite.

The king's dark eyes slowly drew away from the vision that was his new wife to the creature who stood before him. He said nothing at first, his expression closed and cold. At last, he said, his voice low and even, "Only those I name as friend call me 'Bran.' Though you are now my brother in law, you are not my friend. As for your father..." He almost smiled, the expression sharp as a knife. "I believe we both know he would never have wed his daughter to one of the very monsters he fought so hard to eradicate. He would have rather removed her head from her shoulders, your head for suggesting it, and mine for existing." He paused, his eyes boring into Jonah. "That being said... I am pleased with the union. I see many great things coming from this event."

Kezia took his offer and rested her hand on his elbow and walked with him, nodding as he spoke. She took note of the different names and faces, though she was happy everyone was polite it didn't seem anyone wanted to speak to her. Kezia smiled soft but a little disappointed at Lance. "It doesn't seem as though anyone fancy's a chat with me...I suppose it is understandable." Kezia suddenly realized how hard this union must be for some, shew began to chew her lip as she thought.

Jonah's smile faltered a bit and sweat gathered on his forehead as he spoke. "Of-Of course Your Majesty, I will do my best to keep that in mind. My apologies." He gulped as the King continued about his father, Jonah's face grew hot. He was not wrong, his father would have his head simply for lowering his head to one of their kind. Hearing him say he was pleased with the union Jonah smiled once again. "Ah yes. Kezia was my father's most prized possession, though he may not have been happy with this union I am almost certain he would have been to see his jewel adorned on the side of the most powerful man." He was trying to warm up to him sure, but it didn't make him any less snide in his comments.

Back