A Hand for a Kingdom

"If I may point out, My Lady, you will completely destroy your beautiful lipstick if you continue like that," Lance pointed out, mild but kind. "It is true, many still reserve jusgement, though everyone here does support your union. Ah, here is someone who will speak to you, and gladly!"
He gestured to another vampire coming toward them. It appeared Lance was walking toward himself the two looked so alike! The only difference could only be seen on second glance. Lance was perfect and poised, not a seam out of place. His doppelganger was slightly more rumpled in appearence, just barely though it stood out amid the finery surrounding him, and his cocky smile and dancing eyes were far more daring than Lance's mild expression.

One hand rested on the table, and a single finger tapped. "A silver tongue, you have not, child," he said quietly. "Your flattery does you more ill than good in this moment. Again, this union pleases me, and it suits our united desires to do what is best for both of our respective countries, but you have a long way to go before you achieve the power of your father. While I may not have liked your father or what he stood for, I respected him. You... not yet. Perhaps in time." He paused again, weighing his words. "As you are my brother, now, and the stakes of our contries hang in the balance, I shall not slap you for referring to your sister as a 'posession.' Now come. Sit on my left and speak with me on matters of no importance. Appearence is everything."

Kezia flushed and almost immediately stopped the action, "My apologies, a very bad habit of mine." Her eyes followed his gesture, she looked between the two males in wonder. Lance was pristine while his look-alike was more disheveled. Kezia curtsied to the gentleman and smiled, "I must say you two are nearly identical!" Twins were very uncommon in her country, but seeing a pair was always a delight even if they weren't the same age it was so interesting to hear how siblings could share such distinctive features.

Jonah stiffened at his words and cleared his throat, "Of course your majesty, my apologies once again." Jonah was brooding from Bran's words, how dare a beast to treat him as such, but he was far too much a coward to challenge him. In time he would gain this king's respect, and prove that his kind was truly above them in the end. He moved and stationed himself to the left of Bran adjusting himself, he could not argue that appearances were everything. "Your Majesty's servants have prepared a lovely reception and feast, though I apologize I was not present for the ceremony, I pray my sister faired well?" At times Jonah would pick, trying to find a weakened, or prove in some way that this king was truly a beast. If he could relate or at least show dominance over this man it would fair him well.

"I should hope we look identical as we are identical twins! Unless I've been lied to all my life and one of us is adopted," said the newcomer cheerfully.
"My queen, this is my brother, Luke Dwyer," Lance said.
Luke gave her a flourishing bow. "It is an honor and a pleasure to finally meet you, your Highness!"

Bran chose not to point out that Jonah not being there was an insulting slap in the face that, on political terms, started this union off to a rocky start. Wars had been started over similar acts. It was not a smart move on Jonah's part, but he was hiding behind his current presence, and as irksome as Bran found this bug, he did want this to work. He nodded plesently. "Your sister was truly beautiful. It is a shame you missed it. Please, help yourself. The servants have truly gone above and beyond their duties this day."

Kezia smiled and lifted herself facing the two, "Twins! Oh, how delightful. It is a pleasure to meet you as well Sir Luke. It is very rare for twins to be born among the people of Pinelyn." She smiled at the gentlemen before glancing over at the bride and groom's tale, frowning she noticed her brother sat beside Bran. For the purpose of irritating Bran nonetheless, she only hoped he wouldn't say anything to disrespectful. Having not come to the ceremony and give her away was bad enough. Kezia sighed and looked at Bran he seemed unpleased dealing with her brother, but her going over there would only make things worse. Her being around gave her brother a tongue like a snake. Pulling her gaze from them she looked at Lance and Luke. "I'd be pleased if you could tell me more about the kinds of people here, it seems I'm welcomed but not wanted." Kezia gave a small chuckle and push a strand of hair behind her ear.

Jonah frowned, the man was unnerved by everything he had been saying. "Of course Sire, peasants surely throw the best of festivities so I expect nothing less." He checked his pocket watch, "please pardon me sire but I have something to attend too, if you would excuse me." Jonah stood and gave a bow and a smile before taking his leave, he was afraid the King would have him killed if he continued.

"Vampire twins are pretty rare, too, but we make it work," Luke said with a saucy wink.
"Please, brother, control yourself," Lance sighed. "Our dear new queen has enough to worry about without trying to decipher your double talk."
Luke clicked his tongue. "Oh, very well. What do you wish to know, Your Highness? There is a lot to talk about if I were to try to answer your rather broad question about every person here."

Bran's hand landed on Jonah's shoulder before he could take two steps and literally forced him back into the chair. The Nyx King did not appear to have even shifted in his chair or exerted any effort at all, and yet his muscles were steel. "Oh, by My Lord! I could not possibly let you leave so soon! What could possibly be more important than the new peace agreement between our nations and your own sister's wedding?" he purred. He smiled at Jonah lightly, just a hint of fang appearing as he did so. "Please, have more wine." He gestured for the servants to bring more food and drink.
Two werewolf women started forward, but Bran gave the tiniest wave of a finger. His butler had bee with him since the first day of his reign, and he knew what the king wanted. The butler quietly switched the servants, sending instead two humans. Bran would not give Jonah the satisfaction of getting served by one of his people. Let him be served by his own kind.

Kezia stared at Luke and chuckled at their banter, she took a moment to think before looking back at the men she bit her lip and blushed only slightly a bit nervous. "I want to know about your king...and people of his kind. I feel like I don't know anything about any people from this country. Especially not His Majesty. And he has been so generous to me...I only hope to repay him somehow." She bit her lip again wringing her hands a little more than nervous to ask such a bold request.

"A-ah of course your Majesty. N-n-nothing could be more important." Jonah shakily sat back down and looked at the humans that served him. He wouldn't make note of them being one of his own kind, he could sense the looming pressure against him. He slowly drank the wine and looked in the crowd until he spotted his sister. She seemed to be smiling about with two vampires, she was too soft-hearted. Their father often had to knock it into her that she was not to be weak. "I see my sister is fairing quite nicely here," He mumbled the last few words only hoping he wasn't heard, "especially around the gentlemen in this place"

"That's a pretty tall order," Luke mused as he ran a hand through his hair, mussing it a bit. "I don't think you'll ever pay him back, and I don't think he wants you to."
"After all," Lance interjected, "you are sacrificing much to come and make Genevia your home, and her people your people. It is a great sacrifice that he feels indebted to you. As for people of his kind... do you mean Nyx in particular, or monsters as a whole?" His eyes twinkled at his words.

Bran glanced toward Kezia and almost managed a real smile. "Indeed. It is good to see such diplomatic skills, do you not agree? A fine tongue with a positive word is such a welcome gift among those that would seek to harm with a word." His voice was light, almost kind, but the "friendly" hand on Jonah's shoulder did not waver. "Your sister is truly a fine treasure, one I shall be happy to guard." His dark eyes flicked toward Jonah. "From any who wish to harm her. In that, you have my solemn vow. As long as she is happy to continue her correspondence with her homeland, our peace treaty remains secure."
It was a subtle warning. If for any reason Kezia spoke out against Pinelyn or voiced a reason why they should not honor the treaty, King Anatolie would be within legal rights to act as he wished toward Pinelyn. At the rate Jonah was going, he was already jeopardizing the fragile peace. If he wanted to keep it, he would have to make certain his sister would at least tolerate him.

Kezia sighed and could only speak softly, "I have sacrificed nothing. This is my duty as a woman. Had it not been your King I am certain my cowardly brother would have me betrothed to some other man in power to save his own hide. Your king had sacrificed much more in my family's eyes." Kezia only cleared her throat and gave them a small solemn smile before a flush graced her cheeks. She willed herself to change the sensitive subject, and dreaded talking of her brother, "But...I wish to know more about your king and monsters as a whole. I feel like I know nothing about this country and its people. The only knowledge I have thus far is what my brother and father have told me. Which I presume is nothing but lies. So...I would like to start with Nyx, please." Kezia couldn't erase the flush in her cheeks but her solemn gaze did turn into a small smile.

Jonah cleared his throat and gave a small chuckle, the tone in the king's voice did not nearly match his grip. And that was enough to scare him, the hidden threat in the King's words were enough to leave him tight-lipped and quiet. "I-I am pleased your Majesty thinks so well of my dear sister, though I am almost certain she can fair on her own..." His sentence trailed off and glance at his sister, a coward he was but a fool he was not. She would surely scorn him and their country for their father's countless lies. That he could not have. "I am sure she will not falter in her continuance."

Luke took one side, and Lance the other, both offering their arms so they might walk and talk with the new queen. "Well, we do not have much time before you are supposed to be leaving for your honeymoon, but let us see what we might be able to enlighten you on in that time," Lance agreed.
"To start," Luke continued, "A Nyx is the offspring of a human and a vampire, such as ourselves. The more powerful the vampire, the more powerful the Nyx, though any Nyx will never fully reach the power of a full-fledged vampire. Also, vampires and Nyx both grow stronger and more powerful with age instead of weaker, right up until their last ten or twenty years or so. It's hard to tell exactly as very few of our kind die of old age." He continued talking about the similarities and differences of vampires and Nyx as they walked, slowly circling back around to the bride and groom's table.

"I agree," Bran smiled. His hand moved from Jonah's shoulder. "And now I should let you go. There are only a few minutes left until it is time we left. You must come and see us again some time. Perhaps for supper." Again the tight smile with just a hint of fang.

Kezia slid her arm through each of theirs and walked with them, she hadn't even noticed the passing of time. She listened attentively as they walked, so Bran was half-vampire that explained the wings and demeanor. Being human explained why he didn't reach the same height as Lance and Luke. Looking at them she spoke, "So a Nyx is only born when a human and a vampire produce one? Nyx don't have defendant children after that?" Kezia tilted her head curiously, of course, she didn't really know her father had filled her with ridiculous beliefs.

Jonah let out a breath that seemed to be holding for a while and looked at the King. He quickly stood and bowed, "T-then excuse me Your Majesty I must take my leave now." Jonah knew his smile was more of a warning than kindness and quickly rushed off passing by his sister in a rush giving her a scowl as he passed.

"Nope, Nyx have no children," Luke said cheerfully. "That's one of the reasons some people around here are uncertain as to why he has to marry in the first place."
Lance interjected, "But other, wiser heads recognize the wisdom in having a second ruling member, particularly of the fairer sex to lend another point of view to certain decisions. Many other kings have had to choose an heir to suceed them. He would not be the first."
The twins paused as Jonah hurried past. They noted the scowl with identical darkening looks, their heads tipping slightly to the left as they watched him go. They shook it off and smiled as Bran approached.
"It will be time to leave soon if we are to reach our destination before nightfall," Bran said politely. He glanced at the twins, his gaze softening. "Thank you for looking after my queen."
The twins bowed low. "Anything for you, Sire!" Though still polite, their was a warmth and familiarity to their air.

Kezia noted this and wondered the same before Lance interjected, she wondered who the King would choose when the time came. When her brother passed scowling she only looked at him with a frown. Kezia shook it off and turned her head when the king spoke, she hadn't noticed that they had made their way back to her table. She slid her arms from theirs and moved to stand beside her king smiling. She chuckled once they bowed, "My lord if I may ask another request of you... I would like to invite Sir Lance and Sir Luke to the castle once our festivities are over. They have helped me a great deal and-and I would like to chat with them more." Kezia stared up at him hopeful, the twins were after all her first friends besides Marin and Matilda. She only wondered if her request was too bold to ask. Giving a curtsy to the twin she smiled at them, "I would also like to thank you both for keeping me company tonight."

Bran glanced between them, only slightly surprised. It was a bit of a forward question to ask, but he did not mind. More than that, he was amused by the request. "Certainly. I have no doubt they shall visit us often, as I can barely get them out of my hair as it is."
Luke gave Kezia an innocent look. "Didn't Lance tell you?"
"I apologize, I thought you might have guessed," Lance said. "We are wards of the King. He has more or less raised us since we were nine years of age."
"I'm surprised you didn't guess since we share a last name," Luke smirked.

Kezia looked at Bran amused, "Your home must be very lively then Your Majesty." Kezia chuckled and then looked at Luke. She looked between them and then smiled shaking her head, "My apologies I didn't consider it. My father for more than many reasons never had such a thing." Her father had made it clear he wanted to raise n children besides his own especially since the other lord held their own values and views, that, and he only expected his son to take the throne. Looking to Bran she smiled, "I suppose we should excuse ourselves then? Thank you again, Sir Lance and Sir Luke. I suppose that I shall see you again very soon." Giving another curtsy she smiled at them happily before politely taking her husbands arm. She hoped she wasn't making him uncomfortable with her touch bt it was formal and she was growing tired of standing.

Bran let her take his arm and nodded to Luke and Lance. "Look after things. Try not to be too foolish. I will see you in a couple of weeks."
"When am I ever foolish?" Luke grinned.
Bran ignored him and nodded to Bartholomew. The lord instantly cleared a path, announcing the departure of their king and new queen. Cheers rose up as they walked down the center of the room toward the doors. A massive, magnificent carraige pulled by six black horses waited at the doors. The footman opened the door, and Bran helped Kezia step in first. Their personal servants would be following close behind in a wagon bearing the wedding gifts.

Kezia chuckled again and nodded to the twins as she walked past them. She smiled happily at the many people they passed and climbed into the carriage in awe of the massive black horses. When Bran had followed her in she looked at him gently, "Thank you, your Majesty. The reception and ceremony were both lovely." Kezia didn't know what else to talk about, she wasn't certain if he was comfortable yet. Them being alone always made her nervous. She also didn't know if she was allowed to speak when she was with her father, he had said women were meant to stay quiet and look pretty.

"Of course." Bran took the bench opposite Kezia and looked out the window. The horses started off, and he could see lines of peasants eager to catch a glimpse of their king and new queen. He watched them quietly as the horses picked up speed, the carriage swaying gently, the shocks taking almost all of the ruts in stride so the riders barely felt them. Most carriages were not built to this kind of quality, but sometimes being royalty had its perks.
"You still have questions about the Nyx," he stated, still not looking at her. He loosened the collar of his shirt, unbuttoning the top button. Ah, that was better! The cuffs came off next. Now he felt like he could move, at least.

Kezia followed his gaze out the window, her eyes looked over the many peasants, they were happy and eager to see them both. She was only happy that the people of his kingdom didn't hate this union as much as she presumed they would. When he spoke her head turned to him as he unbuttoned his collar and cuffs, she smiled. "Ah, Yes Your Majesty. Sir Luke and Sir Lance were kind enough to explain just a tad to me. But, not much due to the little time." Kezia looked at her hands and bit her lip thinking of what questions to ask, clearing her throat she looked at him. "They had explained already that Nyx is children of human and vampires, and pardon me for saying sire, that they cannot produce offspring." A slight flush of her cheeks had forced her to stare out of the window, "Do you know your father? W-Would you outlive me? I mean, of course, you might..." Her words trailed off, "I want to know more about this kingdom and you of course Your Majesty. I'm just not sure where to start."

Bran couldn't help the faint smile at her rather adorable awkwardness. "I do know my father," he confirmed. "I did not know him until late in life, but, yes, I know him. He is... an interesting character. I have no doubts you shall meet him eventually, but he is not one for social events." He did not add, "social events with so many eatable creatures in one room." His father was an old-school vampire. Those type were not well adjusted to modern life.
He continued calmly. "I was raised by my mother, a human, but some Nyx are raised by their vampiric parent, especially if the vampire is the mother. A few are discarded." Harsh, but then the world was not warm and fluffy to anyone, least of all the unwanted. "As the offspring of a vampire and a human, we have the traits of both. I assume you have heard how vampires can transform? They appear as beastly gargoyles when they do and are at the peak of their strength and power. Hence, Nyx gain their wings, and we are built for flying. We are not as sensitive to the light, but it is not exactly our friend, and sunlight hurts our eyes. We do need a balanced diet of blood and food, but most of us are perfectly happy to settle for a rare steak."

Kezia looked at him attentively, when he mentioned his father wasn't one for the social events. "I have not been to many social events, let alone with so much contrast in people so I cannot blame your father.." As he continued she frowned when he said discarded, "How could someone do such a thing? Regardless of our people's differences, a child is a child still." Her brow furrowed in slight anger at this fact. Though she knew the world was a cruel and unforgiving place she did not think it right. She sighed letting her anger fade to continue listening, a stray hair falling from its fine braid. "I will admit, I had not noticed your wings until the reception. They almost looked like a float of fine material... My father had these silly ideas, made you all seem unsightly and weak. He had the strangest theory that you all could turn into Bats." She laughed flapping her hands like a small bat. Biting her lip she looked at him, "You said you were raised by your mother sire... W-What kind of woman was she?" Kezia looked at him saddle being reminded of her own mother and the death that followed her fifth year.

Back