A Hand for a Kingdom

"She was a fine woman," Bran said calmly. "Very practical, no nonsense, a survivor. You have to be strong if you are going to raise a child out of wedlock, particularly one not of your own race. She taught me how to hide what I was but not to be ashamed of it. I have known Nyx to cut off their own wings out of shame. She saw no shame, only the need to survive as best we could. She died when I was thirteen, and I went out on my own."

Kezia was reminded of her own mother, she looked out the window again trying to shake the memories of her own mother off her mind. "Your mother sound's like a wonderful woman and I would have been very pleased to meet her." Thinking for a moment she glanced at him once more, "Is there anything you wish to know from me at all?" She thought what she might be able to tell him, he had humans in his own country so she doubted he needed facts. But, if they were to stay married she felt like it should be an even contribution of information.

"My mother was the only creature my father ever loved." He fell silent for a few minutes, remembering, but the pain was nowhere near as fresh for himself as it was for Kezia. Bran finally looked at her. "I think I should like to learn of you in time," he said calmly. "We may not have had the luxury of a proper courtship before marraige, but I see no reason why we could not have one after."

Kezia wondered if her father had ever loved her own mother or if they had simply married for her mother's family wealth. When he looked at her, she wasn't sure how to respond at first. She could only smile and look at her hands for a moment. "In time sounds..it sounds quite nice sire." Kezia glanced out the window looking at the scenery as they passed. "Can you tell me more about the crea- I mean different people of your country. I feel like I may have many misconceptions due to my upbringing." She was wringing her hands again. Nervous was not quite the word, it was more the reminder of her upbringing made her anxious. Even though her father was dead she still felt his unwavering hands guiding her.

"Vampires tend to think themselves superior, with is a bit of a detriment to them," Bran replied. "They were so busy thinking themselves better, they did not notice the werewolves and humans nearly wiping them out about two hundred years ago. They retaliated and managed to, ah, bring their numbers up, much to the consternation of the werewolves. However, Vampires are powerful, long-lived, and excellent at seeing the long-view of any situation when they put their mind to it. They can be rather easily offended, as a whole, but they are also quick to apologize, if they are shown to be wrong, though they might not apologize in the way you expect.

"Werewolves are loyal to a fault and a bit quick to fight, but they can also be deeply loving and goofy. They work hard, play hard, and fight hard, and their family comes before anything else. They may be polite, but you have to earn the respect of a werewolf, and they will give what they get. Once trust and respect is earned, it is difficult to lose. They are excellent guardians, and they can, indeed, change shape into wolves whenever they should choose."

Kezia looked up at Bran and listened attentively again. "Sir Lance and Sir Luke are vampires, I did not expect them to be so kind. But it was very refreshing to make friends." She gave a small laugh and smiled happily, "They are my first friends, so I am happy to know a bit about their history. Are they also sensitive to the light? And what about garlic, my father spoke of an old folk tale where vampires didn't like garlic much."

Hearing about the werewolves she nodded, "They were quite intimidating when I first arrived, they scared me quite a bit. But, even Lord Veldkamp said they were only curious. And seeing how they were stationed and treat you, sire, they only show nothing but loyalty." She only wished that the people of her father's court held the same values, but even she understood that humans were fickle and at times ruthless creatures.

Bran flicked his fingers lightly. "Many vampires - though not nearly all - are allergic to garlic the same way some people are allergic to..." He hesitated, seeking a comparison. "Peanuts, I suppose. That type of allergy. And, yes, they are also sensitive to the light."

He smiled a little at her praise of the werewolves. "They are truly fine men, finer than any I could ask for. Let's see... I cannot instantly think of anything else, but then, I have lived with it all my life. It is easy to overlook what you've always been around."

"That does make more sense." Nodding to herself she smiled, "I suppose I shall spend the rest of my life looking for these things." Kezia had no immediate questions at the moment but did have a few things to say. "Your Majesty, I-I did wish to thank you for your consideration during my brief stay, and the plenty of accommodations made to comfort me. Matilda is a wonderful woman...And everything really was lovely sire. I just wish there was some way for me to repay you, in return for everything that you've done. It's only right." She was babbling wildly and wringing her hands all the while biting her lip between sentences, she wanted to repay him. But, she didn't know-how. She felt rather clueless and had she not noticed or been informed she never would have known that he had taken so much time just for her.

Bran turned to watch her babble, a bit surprised yet pleased at her strange nativity. Repay him? For everything he had done? Finally, he held up his hand. "Kezia," he said quietly, "you are my wife now, and I your husband. There is no debt to be held between husband and wife, certainly not in this regard. Did you expect to be kept in some dark, dank cell until the time of your wedding only to be returned to that cell after? To be kept as some kind of pet never to see the light?" He shook his head. "A sad husband I would make in that regard, and if that was not enough, the conditions of our peace treaty stipulate you must be kept happy and satisfied with both sides." He shook his head again. "No. There is no repayment."

He did not bring up the most glaring factor: she was now his wife. She was a beautiful woman. There was one obvious and ancient transaction that a woman would give a man in thanks for anything. It usually involved a bed and little clothing. Yet here she was babbling on like she was on some kind of holiday and he was putting her up for a bit and troubling himself in doing it. Exactly what did this woman think marriage was? Or did she think this wedding nothing more than some kind of formality and after today they would be going their separate ways?

He looked out the window before she could answer him in any way and gestured. "There. In the distance. You can see Knockdrin Castle." And there it was, beautifully silhouetted in the evening light amongst the green, gently rolling hills.

Kezia stopped abruptly when she saw his hand, she didn't dare tell him that no one had informed her of what the peace treaty actually held. She was just simply told to marry to protect the kingdom and that was that. She nodded her head to him and then faced the window. Satisfied with both sides. That would explain her brother's glare earlier, had she been displeased with him she couldn't dismiss him if she wasn't aware. Her mother had died while she was so young, and Marin only being a year or so older than her there wasn't much she actually knew of marriage. She was aware that her mothers' marriage to her father had been for power and riches, so she only assumed that all marriages were like that for women, whether they had a status or not. When his words had processed she stared in the distance. A massive castle, her eyes lit up. "What a beautiful castle! And surrounded by so much land. It looks like it stands in the middle of the sea- that is if the sea were made of grass." She chuckled and looked at him excited, "This is the castle we will be staying?"

Bran gave a slight nod. "Yes. This will be our home for the next few months. There are four castles in Genevia, but this one has always been a favored of mine. I prefer to stay here during the spring and harvest months, primarily."

It was common for a king to have more than one castle if their land was of any decent size. It was difficult to get information from one end of a kingdom to another, so kings often rotated throughout the land to better keep their finger on the pulse of their land. It also helped them to keep peasants in line, if need be, or offered them delight to see their king nearby. Sometimes, there were even "King" and "Queen" castles, one being built to the king's specifications, the other specifically for the queen. Most often, kings had a summer and winter castle, but Genevia was long and narrow. Four castles cut up the land in four, convenient sections. Bran did not stick to as strict of a rotation as some said he ought to, preferring to go where he felt he was most needed. Now that he was on his honeymoon, though, he was expected to stay with his wife in one location perhaps for a year.

Kezia smiled even brighter, "I hope to see them all one day. But this...this is simply beautiful." She turned her gaze back out the window and looked at the green land. The firm stone before they pulled up to the new castle. "It's so green and alive." She mumbled to herself and looked back at Bran. "Your Majesty said the next few months? Will we stay for winter?" Kezia's eyes peered at him curiously before he could answer, she looked back outside, "If we did it would be like a blanket of snow! W-would his Majesty permit me to leave the castle? I do wish to explore the ground, and if winter does come I could get to touch the snow for once." Kezia smiled and turned back to him waiting for his answer eagerly, regardless of what castle they stayed in for the winter she only wished to touch the snow. Her father had never really allowed her to leave the castle. To afraid she would fall in love with a peasant or run away to another kingdom.

"Yes, we will likely be staying for the winter," Bran assured her as the walls loomed closer. "You are welcome to explore the grounds as much as you wish, though I am afraid I will insist that you be always accompanied by two guards when you leave the safety of the castle walls. There is no exact reason to suspect you will be harmed, but as the old adage goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You may also take Marin or Matilda with you, if you wish, or anyone else so long as you have your guards with you."

The massive iron gates creaked open to allow the royal carraige inside, and the horses drew them up the short road straight up to the white doors. Servants bustled about frantically as they hurried to their posts, a few coming to stand at the doorway, straight and refined. There was a cook and her maids, the lady of the house and her maids, a few men, the caretakers and the gardeners, all quietly standing and waiting for their King.

The footman opened the door to the carraige, and Bran stepped out. He turned and held out his hand to Kezia, offering her aid in stepping down. "My Lady."

Kezia's eager look turned into a grateful smile, "Of course your majesty! I assure you that I will not leave unaccompanied." She stared at the gates when they passed watching the servants bustle about. When Bran offered her aid she gratefully took his hand and carefully stepped down. "Thank you, sire." It was then she reveled in how large the castle was compared to herself. It was a pleasant realization she felt. Tearing her gaze from her surroundings she looked to the servants smiling. She glanced up at Bran, they all held such great loyalty and respect for this man. And after chatting with him in the ride, and hearing all he had done she understood why. A smaller smile graced her face this time, as she felt he had truly married a kind man. He was much kinder than the men in her life.

"Charles, it is good to see you again," Bran greeted the steward as he walked forward. "You got everything ready?"
The steward - another vampire - bowed low. "Of course, Sire! All to your specifications. I saw to every detail."
"And likely got underfoot and annoyed the maids greatly, not that they could say a word about it," Bran said lightly, glancing toward the Lady of the house, who carefully did not smile.
"Indeed, my Lord," agreed Charles calmly.
Bran smiled and started up the steps. "The other wagon should arrive shortly. Thank you for your care." He led Kezia through the great front doors and into the massive red and white entry hall. It was a cold room, despite the warm, red color, and all but devoid of furniture, but the detail work of the floors, the walls, the arches... everything was perfect in every detail.

Kezia looked at the steward and nodded her head to him, "Hello." She noticed they didn' smile and only wondered if it was custom. She followed his lead up the steps once again taking his arm. When they walked inside a chill ran through her and she shivered. She looked around in awe once more and slipped her arm from his going over to touch an intricate design in the white of the wall. "The inside is even more marvelous than I expected, such a bright red I have never seen in my life." Pinelyn was known for its soft and light colors, they hadn't the supplies more resources to produce many vibrant colors like the red she saw before her. "Your Majesty has such beautiful homes. It really is splendid." She turned to him as her hand lingered on the fine lining of the wall.

"Thank you," Bran said, watching her. "I had not chosen the colors. Actually, when I obtained this castle, it was in ruins, and I have made some efforts to bring it back to what it was. It is not finished, but I do enjoy what has been accomplished so far."

He turned and led her through the rooms. "This castle was not designed for grand parties, like Thornly, but was meant for entertaining on a more intimate scale. As you can see from the way these drawing rooms can be closed off from each other or opened up." He paused, glancing through the rooms. They were called drawing rooms, right? Or was only one a drawing room, one a library, and a sitting room... His butler had explained to him the difference patiently perhaps a dozen times, but he never could remember the difference. He decided to move on and led the way up the staircase and turned toward another wing of the house.

He gestured down the hall. "Down there is not entirely finished," he said. "There are three bedrooms, of course two indoor bathrooms, one of the bathrooms connects to a bedroom, and a sitting room. The rooms all have beds, but I had the servants prepare the suite - the one with the bathroom attached - for you. The decor leaves a bit to be desired, I know, but it is clean. I left it unfinished on purpose so that you might make it your own."

Kezia smiled with a small chuckle, "You did a splendid job so far, I can only imagine what the finished product would be like." She followed him looking at the colors of the many walls running her hands on the fine details. "Grand parties are very nice... but, smaller gatherings are more fun I presume" She stated unsure of herself, she had never held a small gathering, only ever made the occasional appearance at her father's meetings. Gracing him with tea so he might show off his prized possession, most of the time she felt like a sheep at auction. "Are they all drawing-rooms you Majesty? Is there perhaps a library or a ballroom nearby?" She peered at him curiously, maybe he was just stating the general areas, but she did hope so. Her father had gratefully made sure she was well educated, and she loved to read. She only hoped there was a ballroom so she might be able to practice ballet on her free time.

Kezia followed his gesture once more, "My own?" Kezia looked back to him curiously, "Sire, I apologize for my confusion. Maybe, I might not have understood. But, will we not be sharing the same bed, Your Majesty? Or is this room only for my free time?" From what she had learned thus far she had assumed they'd be sharing a bed. Something she found awkward but nonetheless her duty, she had not the slightest as to what went on in the bed of a man and a woman, her father left her naive in such aspects. She thought she might just simply be confusing his words, the only time she had understood a wife with her own room was when her mother often came to hers at night to sleep after bickering with her father. She had only hoped she hadn't displeased him.

Back