A New Addition [Mafia 1x1](DED)

KaylaCautio

1927, seven years after the start of the alcohol prohibition. Certainly limited choices for some, including Joshua Teufel. Seventeen years old, no known parents, five younger brothers to take care of. Most of the time, before the prohibition, he would go to bars and pickpocket the drunks, knowing they wouldn't notice anything. Now he wouldn't be caught dead in any kind of bar, partially because most of the legal ones were closed, but mostly because he'd probably wind up dead if he was caught in there. Nowadays, he simply went around small cafes and tried to scam people out of their money, but only occasionally. He found he was much better at pickpocketing than coming up with little schemes like that.

One fateful day, the boy found himself in another cafe, farther off from where he usually looked for people to fool. Something felt off, but he didn't know quite what it was. Nevertheless, he scanned the room, trying to pick out someone who looked like they had a fair bit of cash on them. Little did he know, real soon he'd probably be getting tangled up in one of the bigger schemes he'd heard so much about.

Scarlet sat inside a cafe sipping some coffee and just relaxing for the moment. Scarlet put down her coffee and started to read a news paper she brought with her she had made the front page yet again after last nights shoot out. "hmm maybe i should get my own news press.." scarlet said talking to no one but herself.

He soon enough spotted a woman dressed in red, and she struck his interest. Making sure she was distracted, he walked casually past her, on his way out of the cafe, but once he was close enough he took a split second to grab something out of her pocket and put it in his own. He didn't care what it was, he usually never did, as long as it could help him somehow. If he had managed to grab her wallet, great! If he grabbed something else, hopefully he could sell it for something.

Scarlet set down the paper and reached into her pocket for her pocket watch to check the time but it was missing. scarlet quickly looked around and saw a man that seemed he didn't belong heading to the door. Scarlet waited a few moments before following the man discreetly he was good she'd give him that.. but he would pay for taking her watch if it was her wallet she wouldn't have minded much.

He was planning to walk straight home, but the farther he went the more something felt off. He soon enough stopped in his tracks and was pretty much waiting for someone to confront him, most likely about the pickpocketing. He was afraid but he didn't show it, simply kept his hands at his sides and waited for the confrontation.

When the man stopped scarlet grabbed him by the shoulder and put a gun to his back. "Come on thief we are going to have a chat" Scarlet started to lead the man into a alleyway. Once in the alleyway she shoved the man into a wall. "My watch.. now"

He tried his hardest not to show any fear when she grabbed his shoulder, but he tensed as he felt the gun at his back. When she demanded the watch back, he glared at her for a moment but pulled it out of his pocket, handing it back to her as he clearly tried to avoid eye contact. "I wasn't even looking at what I stole. As long as it could help me in some way it didn't matter. Probably could've sold that thing for a decent sum..." He muttered the last part to himself, but she probably heard it anyway.

Scarlet held the pocket watch in her hand and opened it checking the time before closing it. "Sorry its not for sale.." Scarlet then aimed the gun at his head and shot the bullet nicked the tip of his ear. "Your skilled ill give you that not many can steal from me and not get caught right away... so ill offer you a place in my.. rather large family.. you will be paid well as long as you do what i say and do a good job.. what do you say gutter rat?"

He flinched a little, both from the gunshot and the bullet hitting him, even if it was just the tip of his ear. He took a minute to think about her offer, then nodded. "Okay. Seems like a better way to get what I need for my family than this pickpocketing thing." He then paused a bit and looked at her, lowering his voice a smidge. "I'm guessing when you say 'family', you mean like a gang or something?"

Scarlet chuckled at the mans question. "Yea.. a gang or something" Scarlet let out a high pitched whistle and a few men dressed up somewhat like her all wearing red fedoras. "Right boys teach him a lesson.. no one steals from me.. but dont kill him and no breaking bones just beat him hes a new recruit." scarlet handed the man a card. "See you soon gutter rat"

He only looked over the card for a second before looking up to the men she had called, now starting to show some fear as he took a step back. He was actually kind of mad now. He had agreed to join her gang, and she pays him back by having the other recruits beat him?! Jeez, what did he sign up for...?

Scarlet walked out of the alleyway to continue about her day while her men stayed.

"Congrats on surviving the bloody Mary your one of a lucky few... alright lets get to this then" The man that spoke grabbed him and threw him hard onto the ground they all started to kick and punch him while he was down. The beating lasted for about a 10 minutes until the men were done they all went their separate ways leaving the new recruit alone.

He tried to keep as quiet as he could during the beating, but it wasn't like he could stay silent with all those hits flying at him. After it ended he felt like he wouldn't be able to get up. But he somehow managed to and continued on his way home, unfortunately empty handed now. He tried to take a route that wouldn't have too many people, since he didn't know how bad he looked at this point.

scarlet had returned to her family manor outside the city she sat on a balcony sipping wine. Scarlet reached into her pocket and checked the time and returned her watch back to the pocket. "Always late... stupid mayor thinks he can waste my time.."

Once he got home, he even tried to avoid his brothers since he didn't want them asking questions. If he was going to be part of this woman's gang, he couldn't go spilling the beans within the first hour. He just went straight to his room and tried to clear his mind, as well as put some ice on whatever bruises he had.

Scarlet was still waiting on the mayor to show up for their meeting she was getting impatient. Scarlet let out a whistle and a man stepped onto the balcony. "Go find me the mayor and drag his fat ass here and while your at it remind him who owns him."

After a little while he laid down and just let his mind run, with any luck he could sleep this off. He didn't know why he had agreed to work for a woman who had been threatening him, but at least it should be better work than the pickpocketing.

(Should I take the role of the mayor?)

About a hour later the mayor was brought in front of scarlet tied up and tossed onto the floor in front of her feet.

Obviously, the mayor seemed frightened by all of this, but he simply looked up at Scarlet and tried to keep his cool. "Ms. Mary, what's this all about? What reasoning do you have to bring me in as if I were some criminal?"

Back