A potato's stories

xXNocturnalPotatoXx

Melatonin is my best friend
Christmas Wish

I remember it was the day before Christmas. My parents took me and my sister to that overly decorated mall, where we saw a long line of kids waiting to sit on the big man's lap. Honestly..I wish we never went... Something felt off about him and my sister felt it too, but even when we begged not to go our parents shoved us over there. As we neared him I noticed something clear about him that still haunts me to this day. His eyes. They seemed like they were full of life and color from afar, but his looked completely lifeless.

Glassy and almost unseeing, his gaze constantly flicked over to me and my sister and I held her hand protectively. Even though I was about eight years old, my sister six, I felt uncomfortable but I chalked it up to me being afraid of a harmless man and making it worse by thinking to much. I wish I listened to my instincts telling me to run, to just get away from that strange man. But I'm getting ahead of myself. It was then my turn to sit on his lap and my sister was sobbing. I gave her a hug to calm her down and reassured her that is be ok. I was going first to show her that nothing was wrong, but even I was terrified. There was a stool to walk up to sit down on him so with every set I took a breath and tried to calm myself down.

"And what do you wish for young man?" Santa's voice boomed, making me jump. At that moment I looked at my parents and saw their warm smiles and forgot about my fear and I smiled.

"I want superpowers!" I exclaimed joyously and he laughed. I turned to look at him but could fear rushed down my spine. His eyes..were gone. Black voids filled their empty spaces and tears began to rise and I swallowed to stop them.

"What kind of superpowers would you like?" He asked his lifeless eyes, mere inches from mine, drilling into me, and it was all I could do to not jump off his lap and run.

"U-um..I want.." I hesitated, my fear preventing me from saying anything, "Invisibility..I think it's cool..". Even though I mumbled the last part, Santa grinned knowingly.

"That is a very nice choice, young man!" He said happily, and he turned towards the parents and kids waiting on the other side of the ropes, "actually I'll give you a prize for that wish!"

He reached into his coat and gave me a paper. I guess he noticed my confusion when he told me "go to my helpers over there and they'll give it to you!"

I was happy, and a bit proud of myself for getting a prize but I had overlooked the weird situation I was in. I walked towards the "helpers" he told me about and noticed other kids there. We talked for a few minutes about what our prizes are when if feel something crash into me. Or someone. A giggle sounded out of the person and I realized it was my sister.

"That's all of 'em?" One of the elves grunt out and our heads snap to him. A rather large man obviously towering over us and we back away from him and to the other elf. This one was a woman, and I took a bit of a liking to her since she reminded me of my mom. That was our second mistake.

"All the ones that would let me" Behind us Santa had walked towards us after waving to our parents, "Ready kids?" He said to us and we squealed with joy. My sister slipped her hand into mine and I held it lightly, giving a slight squeeze to reassure her that I'm with her.

"Alrighty then kiddos! Let's be off then!" The woman elf said holding two kids hands and we cheered. As we walked we waved to our parents and went on to chittering excitedly about our prizes.

None of us knew at the time...but that would be the last time we saw our parents. Well, except me.

Hope you liked this!! I wanted to add more but ill just post that as a full story. So it shall be left on to be continued!!

Back