A Reluctant Family

BookKnight

Mark Wilson stood in the lobby of the orphanage and finished filling out what seemed like a neverending supply of paperwork. He didn't expect it to be easy to walk out with a child, but this was excessive, in his opinion. His hand was starting to cramp up. Technically, he was only fostering for now with the option of adoption later, and he was scared to see how much paperwork came with a full adoption.

Finally, the woman helping him with the paperwork nodded and closed the file. "That's everything. I'll bring her out, and you are free to leave." She went to one of the rooms to fetch the girl, leaving Mark standing awkwardly on his own.

Gwen Michelle Wilson was nervous about meeting this person. She didn't know what to expect from him or anything. She went with the woman after getting her Mary Jane shoes fastened.

Last edited:
Mark cleared his throat as the girl entered. "Hello, Gwen," he greeted, his words cautious as if he was stepping across ice. "I'm your uncle. Your father's brother. Uncle Mark. I've agreed to foster you until further notice, so..." He let the word trail off then stepped toward the door, indicating for her to follow him.

Gwen follows him as well to the door and said, "It is a pleasure to meet you. I am so lucky to meet you."

Mark grunted. He wasn't so sure it was lucky, but he said nothing more. He opened the back door to his small, sturdy little car and let her in first before he went around to the driver's side. His house was nearly an hour away, but he did not try to start a conversation. He had no idea what to say. What did one say to a newly adopted niece?

Gwen was as quiet as a mouse to let her uncle concentrate on his driving. She was enjoying the ride to her new home.

Finally, they reached Mark's grey and black, square contemporary home. He pulled into the driveway and parked in front of the garage door instead of pulling all the way through. He got out and opened the car door for Gwen. "Can you get your bags, or do you need help?" he asked, trying to remember what all she'd brought with her.

Gwen shows all of her trading card binders are in the back and carries the clothes in without any help.

Mark looked at the binders in confusion. What were those? Then he scooped them up without a second thought and headed to the front door. The sound of barking dogs erupted from the other side as he unlocked the door, and he pushed the door open to reveal two blocky pitbull-type dogs standing on the other side. "Back. Sit," he ordered them.

The two dogs backed up and sat down. One was a dark brown brindle with a broad white patch speckled with brown on his face, throat, and down his chest and belly. Stocky and muscular, he probably weighed more than Gwen and could likely pull her around with ease. The other was all white save for a black nose, and he stood a little taller than the brown dog and looked to be a little more slender while still being an intimidating beast. Neither had tails or ears to speak of other than stumps. They eyed Gwen with great suspicion.

"Gwen, this is Gruff and Glump," Mark said, pointing to the brown and the white dogs respectively. "They'll need a day or two to warm up to you since they aren't used to visitors, but they won't cause you any harm."

Gwen said as she petted the dogs, "That is my trading card collection. It is nice to meet you Gruff and Glump."

Gruff and Glump instantly pulled away and trotted away from Gwen to a safer distance.
"Don't pet them until they ask for it, please," Mark said as he walked through the house toward the stairs. "It's like if strangers randomly walk up to you and start stroking your hair. Come one. I'll show you your room."

Gwen said as she follows him, "My apologies. I just forgot about asking. I feel bad about it."

"Just remember for next time." At the top of the stairs, he pointed to the right. "The upstairs bathroom is at the end of the hall, as is my office." He pointed to the right. "My room is there next to the office. Please stay out of my room and office unless I'm in there or give permission. Your bedroom is across from mine."

The bedroom was neat but plain with a double bed, nightstand, set of drawers, and the usual things needed for a bedroom, but no personality whatsoever. Mark never had guests, and he'd meant to do something useful with that room but had never gotten around to it. Good thing, it seemed. He figured Gwen could do what she wanted with it.

Gwen said, "I will next time."
She tell made sure all of her clothes are organized, and everything was in it's proper place. She made sure her room was neat and tidy.

"Breakfast is at six, lunch at noon, and dinner at five," Mark told her. "There are snacks in the kitchen if you get hungry. The backyard is fenced in if you want to play out there. I'll leave you to get settled" He turned and went downstairs.

Gwen was writing down each time of each meal of the day as her uncle said. She was relaxing and looks at her trading card binder #1. She starts adding up their stats. She even labeled her 5-subject notebook as stats part #1 of ?. (The question mark meant she doesn't know how many parts it will take.)

Mark let the dogs outside in the backyard and threw a ball for them to chase for a while. Gwen seemed perfectly happy in her room with her binder of little cards, so he left her to it. Once the dogs had been worn down a little, he went inside and sat on the couch with a book.

Gwen didn't want to disturb him so she enjoys her hobby and watch the dogs in peace as well from the window.

After reading for a while, it was time to make dinner. Mark wasn't sure what Gwen would like, and the file he'd received hadn't mentioned allergies, so he decided to play it safe and make grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. It did not take long to heat up the soup on the stove and fry up two sandwiches of melty orange cheese with a slice of ham nestled inside, and he set the table for two. After he put two water glasses on the table, he went to the stairs and called up, "Gwen, time for dinner."

The dogs came in from outside and shook themselves off thoroughly. Mark gave them both their dinners on the kitchen floor before sitting down to eat his own dinner at the table.

Gwen went to the bathroom to wash her hands after putting her binder and notebook away. She used soap and water to wash her hands for at least 30 seconds before drying them and putting the towel next to the sink. She walked to the kitchen table and pulled out the chair very gently and sit down. She then pushed her chair up to reach the food in front of her. She put a napkin on her lap to show her uncle how polite she truly is.

Back