A Roleplayer's Dictionary?

Mira Volkova

Onion Knight
Hello, I'm pretty new to this website but also to roleplaying itself.
I've participated in a few roleplays but up until now I don't remember hearing phrases as "favourite set canon" and such, so do you guys have anything to enlighten me with? Any key words? I prefer not having Urban Dictionary in the background. :- )

Hi. I'm new to this site as well, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer but I've been roleplaying for a while now on a different site. I haven't heard of the word 'favourite set canon', but I'll share some of the other words I've heard of.

RP: Well, this is pretty obvious but it stands for Roleplay.

ORP or OOC: Which basically means that you're talking about something out of character. For example;

AVA
She gasped as Mich punched Amos in the face.

ORP: Dammn, this stuff just got real.

I've seen Rpers use either forms, and I think it is just what you prefer.

FCs: So these are faceclaims. They are pictures Rpers use to show what their characters look like.

Approachable: This just means that other characters can talk to yours. So if you went "ORP: Ava is approachable" that means that other characters may approach your character and try to strike up a conversation with them.

Dead RP: This means that a roleplay is no longer active.

Mary Sues or Gary Stus: This basically refers to a perfect character with no flaw whatsoever. These want to be avoided as they make the Rp expierience less fun.

I may think of more words later on, so I'll post them if I remember any more. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ah, I see. I guess new to me were FCs and the "approachable" term. Everything else - I pretty much knew but I hope it's useful for other members who are new to roleplaying, or just to review their dictionary.
Thank you! :>

This stuff is new to me as well. I’ve participated in roleplay from different areas, but never heard this lingo before.

I think it might be due to many bigger forums having

OOC , IC and sometimes even the CA split into one thread each
im used to the etiquette of OOC being banned from an IC thread to a point where that will get you yelled at.

I guess the basic stuff is.
OOC - Out of Character
IC - In Character
CA or CH - Character application (could mean for approved as well which is why it tends to vary)
Int check - Interest check

Beyond that there isn't much else to say.
im new to this website as well so "favourite set canon" sound weird do they mean like in when stories have several alternate storylines like Marvel and DC.
Though then people mostly refer to Main canon and extended or universe. :/

Another might come up as I've seen this too.

SFLR- This means, "Sorry for the late reply!" I tend to use this a lot since I'm not active all the time. You may encounter this too or you may use it. It's helpful to use this to help explain why you were inactive for a bit. Hope this helps!

Self I am new to this forum, but not to RP.
I am not sure if all are the same here as other forums, though quite a lot that is already mentioned seems familiar yet not everything.

CS: Character Sheet

As for 'favorite set canon', I have never heard of this phrase before, though it reminds me of 'headcanon'.

Back