A Strange Town

Sleepwalker

Still Slep
Prologue
A quiet evening it is, in the sleepy town that is Belleville. Most people in the village would be home by now, finished with any of their shopping or meetings and planning to spend the swiftly coming night at home. It wasn’t that criminals would commit crimes usually, but most people like to be cautious. The only ones that were out were shopkeepers, night shift workers and fools. The streets were empty and dark, and so was most of the town, you can barely see more than a couple out and about. The ruins are empty as always, but a few people reported a faint but strange light coming from it for a few minutes. The council has explained it as merely an imbecile looking for secrets in a useless landmark. The light doesn’t seem to be coming from a torch but..the council has explained it, there is no good reason to go there, right? Their word is law after all.

On the bright side, it means there’s barely anyone bothering those outside, and the evening can be very beautiful. On the other side, it’s the perfect time for crime, not that there’s very much criminals nowadays. In the past, yes, but not now. Perhaps it might be relaxing to go out, but it’s best not to have too many. Too many cooks spoil the soup after all. Not to mention, there’s just a desire not to? It feels kind of wrong and like it’s against instincts to do so, even though it’s just walking out in the night.
@Alissa Ming @Kanassa @Maluon @Green Door @ShadowCoyote0 @Draco Shadowdragon
————————————————————————————————————
Well, here’s someone in the fool section of who would be out so close to nightfall. Jennifer Roe walked along the quiet roads with caution, holding a box carefully and glancing around as if someone was coming for her.
“My, my...I really shouldn’t have agreed to this. I like the quiet and all but...”
The box had nothing but coffee supplies and a few trinkets for the trinket shop, still isn’t a good idea to take that around though. Jennifer had agreed to deliver a few supplies for a friend who opened a hipster coffee shop recently, and then decided to deliver something for the trinket shop as well.

Now if only she could use that weird appearing at places trick she did sometimes, but now she’s stuck walking on a quieter than average street lane, and Jennifer isn’t a fast walker either.
@Alissa Ming

Amber wasn't sure where she was. She found herself in a town she'd never been in before. And she'd been around. Hm...I wonder... The best way to figure this out was to get information, and the best way to get information normally would have been her crew. But she couldn't get in contact with them. She could tell by the way her earbud was buzzing. So, the next best way was probably her favorite. She'd have to take it. She walked purposefully down the street, looking for an easy mark. Then she saw the woman also walking down the street. She's looking around, but not carefully enough. Besides...I can make it look like an accident. She looked as if she was busy with other things, sped up her pace, just enough to make the bump worth it. Her mind already racing three steps ahead of what was about to happen. She kept an eye on the other person on the streets, so as to make sure she could keep in line for this perfect theft. Pickpocketing was an art. It required the perfect touch and the distraction of a helping hand.

Zander was up late at his machine shop, and while he was closed for business, he was still working on one of his several personal projects. His machine shop consisted of a garage and office on the first floor, and a single apartment made up of the second and third floors in which Zander lived. Surrounding the back and sides of the property, was a fence about ten feet high or so. Some of this area nice and planted with flowers, but most of it was a collection of old cars, engines and parts of all sorts, appliances, and even an entire Case steam tractor. Zander stopped working and got up out of the floor and stretched. I'm gonna go to bed. He gathered his tools, checked to make sure all the doors were locked, and headed up stairs. There, he was greeted by his two cats and his pug, each of whom was given a treat. Zander was tired, so he took his shower, and went straight to bed.

Torian had noted over the years that he as particularly good at not being noticed. Yes, he was brilliant when it came to spewing out falsehoods or excuses, his tap dancing career hadn't had a chance to take off and he liked to think he was the best damn cleaner this side of whatever realm they resided in; but not being noticed was up there. The best part? He didn't even have to try, especially on nights like this, since the way his clothes became bland and faded under the glare of the moon, the rather underwhelming nature of his appearance and the lack of crap leaving his mouth as he leaned back on the bench... This all came together to make him the type of guy you'd barely notice as long as he didn't make any noise, because he doesn't stand out as interesting, nor does he make your brain notice something terrible or stupid, he was just a sight that very little cared to notice.

Okay, the more I try to compliment myself, the more insulting it sounds... His spectacles hung off his breast pocket (Because wearing dark shades at night was probably a bad idea) allowing him to spot the two woman as their paths took them right past him. Looked like one of them was on a collision course with another. Maybe he should do something, call out a warning or tell them to look where they were going... Nah, that would take too much effort. He couldn't give any care while he was off-duty, that would be like unpaid work.

Leon had been in Belleville for about a year now. While he isn't very social, all of the business owners and shopkeepers know he's a hard worker, so he gets a lot of part-time work. Today he worked as a snow cone vendor. While not the most prideful work, he put a lot smiles on kids faces as he created the ice from his hands. The town was weird to him, but anything was better than his past life. After work he went towards the ruins. He would examine the outside, but never enter. This wasn't out of fear, but moreso a lack of curiosity. He mostly enjoyed the walk, treating the ruins as more of a landmark for when to turn back.

It was in the evening by the time he returned to Belleville. The streets were empty and silent; this was Leon's favorite time of the day. Most people were already inside their homes at this point as a safety precaution, but Leon had little to fear. He sat down, leaning against a wall he as breathed the fresh air. However, he took notice of a rather creepy individual minding his own business. Afterwards, he noticed two females walking down the street, one looked fearful while the other was very calm and collected. Something wasn't right. Leon walked up to women, saying "excuse me ladies, would you like some help carrying that box?"

A figure skateboarded down the road. The only thing on his mind was how good the wind felt on his face. He wasn't bothering with tricks or any of the like. This was Theo. The boy enjoyed skating at night. The breeze felt good and the roads were always clear. This was like a habit. He skateboared every night after everyone was in for the night. He passed by the man on the bench not even taking any notice of him.

He didn't notice the loose rock on the road until it was too late. Before he knew what was going on he was sent flying as the skateboard came to a sudden stop. Pain shot up through his arms as he instictively put them out in front to shield him from the impact. He got up shortly after and brushed the dirt off of him. Theo collected his skateboard and took a look at his surroundings. Good nobody saw that. That was what he thought anyways. He heard some footsteps and looked in that direction. He saw the two girls about to collide. Then he saw a guy walk up to the gal with the boxes and ask her if she wanted help carrying them.

The situation didn't concern him so he decided to head back home. His roommate was probably going to chew him out again. He did every night. His roommate was a light sleeper so he would wake up every time Theo came back late. He knew that he shouldn't but it was how he relaxed. Except for nights like this one.

Due to just how tired she was of walking around town to find the shop, Jennifer payed very few attention to Amber if at all, no doubt it’s just a shopkeeper if she even did see her, right?
“What is with the streets? I’m sure I was at Lavender street...wait, no, Honey lane? Just which street lane am I on?..Oh. George street? But that’s on the other side of...Ah, nevermind, I need a break.”
Upon seeing that she had accidentally gone to the left side of town instead of the right, Jennifer dropped her box in slight frustration or plain weariness. She couldn’t believe it, she’s lived here for who knows how long and she still gets lost. Well, she wasn’t sure how long she’s been here, but her first conscious memory was walking aimlessly in a forest to end up here, so it should have been a long time. If only there was a watch or something!
Zip!
Hmm? That’s strange. Wasn’t she on the left side of town, not the machine shop? Oh well, she was going to make a order anyways, must be whatever she has acting up. She’s seen those foreigners, with those powers to summon flowers and grow wings, hmph, why couldn’t she have proper working powers?
Zip!
And just as quickly, she’s back again. She couldn’t have caused more than stepping on a cat at the shop area, everyone knows how animals hated the woman. Appearing back on the spot. And now, she noticed a man, Leon, asking her if he could help.
“And what are you doing so late? Oh, the box..No, no. This is a simple task, no need!”
With that, she picked up the box and scrambled away from the area, why couldn’t this be just a simple task? And she had to check out that light at the ruins as well. What a mess!
@ShadowCoyote0 @Alissa Ming

Meanwhile, while Jennifer was running away into a quieter place, an announcement came from a nearby megaphone, which was generally used for important announcements such as shows and meetings. The voice was raspy but recognisable, a member from the council.​
“Ahem..Hello. We do not believe we have to say this, but this is important. We discourage late night shopping or wandering of any kind, and in the rumours of a strange light coming from the ruins at night, we shall be announcing the introduction of the curfew.
From now on, anyone wandering shall be approached and asked to provide a reason, if not, the person shall come with us for the night to have a small talk. This announcement is from the high council.”
The worst thing? A megaphone is placed in every house, so despite the discouraging of staying up late, the announcement woke everyone up. And what about the homeless who sleep outside? Something is fishy about this announcement. Council members are very isolated from the rest of the town, and those who have even a conversation instead of being ignored is bound to have done something.
@Everyone @Alissa Ming @ShadowCoyote0 @Green Door @Maluon @Kanassa

Zander suddenly woke to a voice giving an announcement about a curfew.
"Ugh. Stupid Nazi-man. How rude."
At the same time, Zander's pug, whose name was Roger Waters, jumped up from the foot of the bed, ran to the speaker, and started barking at it.
"Its ok, Roger, there's no one there."
After a few minutes, Roger had settled down, but Zander couldn't go back to sleep, so he got up, went to his living room and started to play a video game.

Amber saw the man with the woman. She paused for just a moment, debating if she should go through with her plan. And who was talking? It wasn't unusual for her to not recognize a voice. After all, she didn't know them all. She spent too much time traveling. But the warning...how odd. In fact, everything going on was odd. She steeled herself and headed toward Leon and Jennifer, though she didn't know that was their names, looking like she was not paying attention to where she was going, she bumped into Jennifer, deliberately. "Oh, I am soooooo sorry!"

Torian could feel his shady meter fluctuate at this announcement, but then again, this town had always been rather suspicious. He never attempted to look into said suspicions. Why should he pry into matters that don't concern him? "No late night strolls? Well, I know the invisible werewolves are gonna get pissy that moonlit fur time is getting put on hold..." He muttered to himself, pushing his broom up into his hand as he got to his feet. Yeah, apparently janitorial work was a 'bring-your-own-cleaning-supplies' job and it still paid practically jack shit. Seriously, he was going to bring that up at the next meeting... The Janitor is included in those, right? He shook his head and pushed forward, those were things to bitch about later when he could scare students by shaking his broom at them like an old man. Right now he just needed to get in before some jackass decided to start poking him about how suspiciously he sits on a bloody bench.

As he moved, he looked to the clusterfuck of awkward meetings taking place in front of his eyes, especially when one woman stopped and then instantly set off to 'bump' into the woman with the box. "Ya know..." His voice louder, probably surprising anyone who didn't notice him beforehand. "It'll probably look more convincing if you don't suddenly pause before you reach the person you're pretending to bump into. I mean, if you want a date that much, just say 'hi' to her. Geez-" He almost, almost went on to complain about the 'kids these days' needing such complex plans to just start a conversation with someone. Then he reminded himself that he was 25, not fucking 55.

He was still young, damn it!

Well damn, both women were highly suspicious, yet they weren't together. Leon thought about putting up ice walls to block their movement when suddenly he heard the announcement. Considering the situation, he'd only cause more trouble. "Damn, a curfew? This is the time of day I look forward to the most." He tried to deal with it as he went back home. He was expecting another rant from his roommate about staying out too late. As he approached home, he kept thinking about the strange people he saw. Only time would tell what they were up to.

Amber jumped. Or rather, she started. The voice from behind her was just loud enough to be heard. But it was unexpected. She almost ran, almost. But that would look suspicious. Of course, pausing had been stupid. But this person clearly thought she was doing something else. Introducing herself, or wanting a date. She clasped the other woman's shoulder with her clearly visible hand, her non-visible hand finding the coins with practiced ease. Only two fingers ever entered the pocket, so that the mark wouldn't feel it. She didn't take it all. Just enough to get some different kinds of money, and smiled at the other woman. "Again, awfully sorry." She let go of the other woman as her non-visible hand tucked the money away safely in her pouch, also safely hidden away. "My name's Amber. What's yours?" She may as well play along with the person behind her thought she was actually doing.

Jennifer froze at the announcement, she wasn’t sure what it was, but something definitely creeped her out about it, the last person who had a private talk with the council got the death penalty, she was around to see the execution herself. Amber bumped into her pretty hard, and she nearly fell but cagyterbherself just in time, hyperventilating at what was going on. A hand on her shoulder, and a voice coming from behind, Jennifer turned around and replied to Amber’s question as politely as she could, but couldn’t hold back a hint of annoyance in her voice.

“Ah..My name’s Jem-Jennifer Roe. Ahem, How do you do, Amber? It is rather late, and I’ve never seen you around before. I don’t suppose you walked through a twisted forest either?”
Although smiling at Amber, she gave her a look that showed just how unimpressed she was with the whole situation.

She also looked at Torian and Leon a strange look, even as Leon was leaving.
“What are you doing out here? Not investigating or planning to find secrets are you? I never knew so many people were out at this time.”
The evening was starting to turn to night as the moon shown brightly.
@Kanassa @Alissa Ming
——————————————
Meanwhile, a few minutes after the curfew rule was installed, some strange bang near the radio station could be heard, followed by a strange radio-like static coming from the outside of the machine shop, likely due to how much electronics were there.
@Maluon

Amber smiled, ignoring the strange question. Yes, she didn't know where she was, but she didn't remember walking through a forest. "I'm just traveling. I got into town as it got dark. It's nice to meet you, Jennifer Roe. Do you think you could point me to a place to stay? It's awfully dark out." Amber had no fear of the dark, but if this was someone who lived here, it would be perfectly natural to ask directions. She was used to living on the streets. And she could avoid the authorities at need.

Zander heard the faint static of some sort of radio outside his machine shop. Pausing his game, he listened longer to see if it was moving.

"Oh hell, what is that?"

Zander had lived in really rough neighborhoods in the past, so he was quite nervous. He went to an old safe where he put in a code. When the safe opened, he picked up the first thing he saw, which was an old World War II era revolver. Although he didn't really like the idea of having to use it on someone, he wasn't afraid to either.

He looked out of all his windows but saw nothing at the time, still, he sat down on his couch, prepared to do whatever he needed to.

"What, have you people never heard of late night strolling?" Torian hefted the broom over his shoulder, making sure to keep his distance from the people. "I was sitting on a bench, not stalking alleyways with a knife" He pushed his free hand into his ever-expanding pockets, looking for something as he spoke. He looked towards the speakers, thinking of the message and scoffing at it. "I don't get much of a chance to get outside, now the buggers at the top can't even let me have that..." Tilting his head, he got a good look at the rising moon, letting out an appreciative whistle. Always was a sight with the moonlight piercing through the veil of the night. "Hope none of you are werewolves 'cus I'm allergic to wolf hairs"

Theo climbed the steps to his home. All of a sudden the loud speaker came on and the council member came on. He hurried on in his house before the announcement ended. Sure enough Jason, his roommate, was up. Fury was in his eyes. Oh boy. I'm in for it now, he thought to himself. To his surprise though Jason didn't chew him out. Instead, he flipped the loud speaker the bird. "Surprisingly it wasn't you this time. It was that damn rude council member. Don't they know people are trying to sleep? After all they are the ones who discourage people from staying up late," Jason vented. Theo looked at Jason with a little bit of sympathy in his eyes. "Well it looks like you won't have to worry about me waking you up every night. Since there is a curfew now. Which by the way the damn guy forgot to let us know what time the curfew started," Theo said.

Just when he was approaching home, he heard the loud bang. "What the hell?" Leon began mumbling to himself as he turned back to investigate. This was probably the reason a curfew was being created in the first place; people were causing trouble at dusk. Leon lives pretty close to the radio station where he heard the noise coming from. Preparing himself for potential conflict, he readied his hands, forming an icy mist around his body.

Jennifer jumped at the loud band, and got herself worried thinking about what might have happened, but put it off as maybe a technical difficulty.
“Still isn’t nice to wake people up like that though. Sorry, was I talking to myself?”
After readjusting herself, Jennifer, sighing at the two, crossed her arms and tired to appear as serene as she could.
“Well, you really shouldn’t call the council members ‘buggers’, nor should people be really out at this time. I understand, you’re that....Wait, wolf hair? There’s no such thing as werewolves. Man-wolf hybrid, right? How preposterous.”
That last sentence was false, while Jennifer had no idea what werewolves are, she had a small visual picture of them, being very faint however. Turning to Amber, she answered her question.
“Ah, no, I don’t think. We have no need for inns, my dwelling has only 3 others, Maybe you can sleep in my house for a while? But you should apply for your own house afterwards, alright?”
@Alissa Ming @Kanassa
——————————
The only thing Zander would have noticed anything strange outside, was a turned on radio, that was playing loud static, and probably wasn’t going to turn off. It’s static also sounded...off, like speech almost. A radio in the middle of the night turning on is suspicious enough, but even stranger, was that if one listened, the static hid a scream, and gunshots.
@Maluon

Meanwhile, at the radio station, people living close by who were still awake could see two shadows walking out with something, the shadows were holding a bag of sorts, and it looked like they wore some hood. The only thing Leon would be able to see out of place aside from that, was a policeman approaching him. He spoke politely, but was clearly not happy to have someone breaking the curfew on the day of it being announced.
“Excuse me, you shall tell us the reason for breaking the curfew. State the reason for being outside at night.”
@ShadowCoyote0 @Draco Shadowdragon

@Green Door

Last edited:
Back