A Strange Town

Amber thought, considering her options. "Sounds like the school is the perfect place to start. The least amount of guards, or witnesses." She grins, eager. "Alright, then. Let's get started."

Playing up the clumsy act, her sudden cry for attention drew Torina away from walking right and he certainly just happened to trip into a private place with no witnesses "Who said that?" He groaned as he rubbed his head lightly "What do you want?"

The right side was completely quiet, the school was unlit as well, so it was very, very dark. It felt like there weren’t meant to be here, it didn’t just feel like they were breaking the curfew, it straight up felt like they were out of bounds, in a unintended area. Like when one glitches out of a video game and ends up outside the area.

There was a recreation area right next to the school, with sports, ovals and even a modem for anybody that prefers their fun in technology. It seems to be recently visited by the foot prints, probably by the council member or the guard. There were a few buildings around the right side, they seemed to be unlit and closed, but one of them was clearly tampered with, since the door was open.

The school was unlit, but the annexe seemed to be lit by a candle, likely just a few students mucking around out of curfew. That being said, the entire area was cold, unnaturally so. Espically by the border, the border that separated the town, and the fields beyond.

Jennifer looks actually unsettled, which considering her normal smile and stoic expression, is saying something.
“Be careful I feel...that someone else is here, it’s not safe. Quiet and dark yes, but..”
She felt a chill up her spine, and looked around nervously.
@Alissa Ming
———————
The girl seemed uncompletely unaware she was this close to breaking the curfew (Everybody had ten minutes to get back to their homes), and that she was following a shifty dude. An unguarded little child, walking with little steps and waving at Torian trying to get his attention.
“Um, you see, uh. You took my USB, and I would like it back. My little USB is very pretty and expensive, so I’m not leaving without it. There’s my photos and everything in there as well!”
@Kanassa

"Did I?" Torian frowned, leaning against the wall for support as he scratched his head "Was somthing important on it? I don't remember..." He looked to his coat pocket, pulling it wide open, wondering if a little girl could fit in there...

Amber looked over at Jennifer. She tended to be just a bit sure of herself. "Don't worry about it, Jennifer. It'll be fine." She knew she was potentially visible with the Cloak of the Dawn, but its purpose was simple. It was her invisibility cloak. It didn't last forever, or else she'd use it more often. But it still worked. If she needed to, she could vanish from sight.

As if she was the living form of those people that crashed on the floor upon hearing a stupid answer, the girl nearly lost her balance. She glared at Torian, walkthrough given her spacy look, it wasn’t too intimidating.
“Yes there wasss! Look, I need to have it back, Mister gardener!”

Gardener? Apparently, she had no sense of memory.
“I was cleaning the garden, and then I dropped the USB. Then you took it!”
To be honest, such an accusation was from a girl who couldn’t give anyone a remotely threatening look, so it sounded more whiny.
@Kanassa
——————
Jennifer looked more for then creeped out, as if she knew something was strange here but..
“Mm, I guess I believe you, thanks for the reassurance.”
The cloak of dawn would make Amber invisible, even more so now that it was night time essentially.

While the darkness of the place helped them, at the same time, it was...too quiet, too dark, it was, possible they might run into something. They had to be careful, even without the council member.

So, where to first?
@Alissa Ming

"First off, work on your attitude, or you'll only get scorn from me, little missy" He said sternly as he dipped his hand into his deep, deep pockets, rumaging through many things. "What does it look like? Or feel like?"

Amber glanced over at Jennifer. The night was her element, and she was more or less unafraid, but she could hear the discomfort in the other woman's voice. "Look, if you want to, you can join Gale and Marina at your house. I can get in and out on my own if I have to. We've had to work minus a member before. Though that member is normally Gale."

Jennifer turned to her, as she if had said something incredibly stupid.
“No, no! I understand that, and that I may be a liability, but here’s the problem. You see...something isn’t right with this area espically, and I feel like you might need a helper. This really has a feel of...wrongness. You may not know if you don’t have magic but I do. Besides, I’m good at spinning up lies, and I’m a old citizen. If you get caught, I’ll uh...cover..for you.”

Despite her trying sounding helpful in that last sentence, it was an empty promise, and Jennifer hated to admit it but it was true. She felt empathy, yes, but unlike the other feelings she’s had lately, the more she thinks about her past self, the more that empathy seems to fade away. Could it be that her kindness was a front? Jennifer didn’t want to think about it.

“No really, I feel it’s necessary to do this with you. If you get caught, then your team and I will have much bigger problems. That being said, we should hurry.”
@Alissa Ming
——————————
The girl kept that aggressive little pouty face for a few seconds, then regressed to a calmer, childish attitude with no effort, as if nothing happened. Despite her clearly wanting her USB, she seemed to be looking around lot, for some reason. She either has the lowest attention span in all of mankind, or it’s because it’s night time.

“Well, the USB is small, it has a name on it, although I can’t remember whose. It’s round-y and smooth like a silver bullet, you know, the ones that go between the eyes.”
@Kanassa

"Sounds good to me. But while I don't personally have magic, I know people who do. But you're right. We should hurry. Just be careful." Amber moved like a ghost toward the school. She didn't think to much about how Jennifer's emotions had seemed so very fake. As a woman who often had to fake emotions, and knowing what little she knew about Jennifer, she was willing to pretend that Jennifer was fooling her. Jennifer had also seemed eager and willing, even determined to help.
Gale's voice came over the com to both her and Jennifer. "I've been trying to see what they have in the way of electronic protection, and the answer is not much, Amber. Despite the fact that I do seem to have Wi-Fi, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of tech I can hack. I'll keep looking, because I don't want either of you surprised. But so far, no joy."

Gale doesn’t have much in terms of tech, since it seems to be a less technologically inclined town. However, there were two locations. The computer room, obviously, and the security room, with all the cameras, aka like, one or two in a few offices. The arcade nearby seemed to be not working at all.

Something of concern though, was some other cameras that seem to be around the less populated areas. They didn’t seem to be by the school, but by someone, a student maybe. All of them wasn’t too complicated to hack.

The school building was unlocked, likely for a few night shift workers, although there weren’t any today. The building was not being used and all two storeys of it was devoid of any students or staff. So the only thing that could be there... Anyways, Jennifer followed Amber along quietly, if not nervously. She jumped at every little sound and strange shadow inside the school

Which was justified, not a single fly or rat lived in the school or surrounding area and the school were new and unlikely to creak.

Jennifer stared at the Annexe while hugging herself due to the sudden cold. There was like before, a single light inside. She was curious of it, if not afraid of both the aura and the danger, and pointed it out to Amber silently.
@Alissa Ming

Amber nodded to Jennifer, but had noticed her jumpiness. She stopped for just a moment, and said just loud enough for Jennifer to hear her. "You can't keep jumping at every little shadow, Jennifer. You'll be seen if you do. Instead, act like you belong here. Or like you're not here at all. If you think you've been seen, stand perfectly still. Most people see what they want to see. As long as you don't move, no one will see you. Especially if you aren't standing in light, or aren't moving. Do you understand?"

At random, Torian began to pull objects from his coat, fully showing the girl how deep and magically spacious it was when a lamp was taken from the depths and placed on the ground along with a chair leg, some 'special' magazines, a helmet and a stuffed animal.

Jennifer took a deep breath and closed her eyes, she thought about Amber’s words. When she opened them again, while she was still unsettled, she was less jumpy.
“Um, sorry, I won’t be so jumpy again. You see...something scares me about this place, and I can’t logically put my finger on what it is. Right, let’s continue.”

She still looked over at the lit annexe.
“That being said, do we think we should check or not? It seems occupied, but there shouldn’t be anyone here.”
@Alissa among
——————
The girl’s eyes widened with each item, and slowly drew closer to Torian. Like a curious little kitten.
“Oooo...What else do you have in there? It’s physically impossible to fit everything in there but I want to find out!”

Bending down, the girl picked up the stuffed plush and fiddled with it, finding it cute. She also picked up the ‘special’ magazines, before flicking through the pages swiftly.
“So you like this stuff? I’m not sure they’re legal but each to their own.”
@Kanassa

"Hey, what about that says illegal?!" Says the guy who is clearly not a law-abiding citizen, as handcuffs, cleaning bottles, one boxing glove and a pair of socks.

"I understand being scared by a place, even if you don't get why. But when you're trying to be sneaky, jumping at every little thing is not helpful, believe me." She thought for a moment. "Yeah, we should probably be sure no one's here right now. That way we can try for as few surprises as possible."

The girl put down the magazine, since she was reading it.
“Uh, let’s see..apparently, I have travelled to the upper left corner of town. These kind of magazines are very common, and you know the rules. Obscene material should be left there. I’m curious that you got it through the guard.”

The girl walked closer to Torian, stepping on the magazine and a few other objects in the process.
“Where is the USB, by the way? I’m fine with just trying to find it through interrogating your pockets.”
@Kanassa
———————-
“Yes, I get it.”
Jennifer gave a brief remark, before looking through the window, and freezing up.

Inside was someone, indeed, in fact, there was a whole group inside. The annexe was big enough to fit two whole classes in there after all, and boy, was it filled.

Where there wasn’t people, there were creepy, orb things, that seemed to radiate a strange magic. In the centre, which was relatively dark, there was a group sitting in a circle surrounded by candles, and in the middle, was a ouija board. This ouija board was different then the cheap ones, it was red fluids on there, and it was covered and surrounded with many herbs, vials and offerings.

What was more creepy, was that the other people were gathered around, and huddled together in a group. They seem fixated on something.

In the corner, although it was hard to see, was someone behind a large cat statue. Only a hand and what seems to be a necklace was seeable.
@Alissa Ming

"Just let a man read his collection in peace..." He grumbled as she came closer, growing as she trod on his possessions. "You wanna rifle through my pockets, fine, just be careful what you grab; I don't want to be reporting you to the police..."

“Really? In that case...”
The girl didn’t even need the first few words from Torian to grin brightly, and then walk extremely close to Torian, personal-space-invadingly close. The girl could almost feel Torian’s breath as she put her hand down his jacket. To her surprise, it was much deeper then she though, and she probed inside diligently, trying to find something.

@Kanassa

He didn't question the girl's sense of personal space, not really bothered, he was more bothered on if she did anything to his favorite... Uh... Junk that he couldn't remember the name of. "You break anything, you're paying for repairs and- Yeowch!"

Back