A Strange Town

Zander led them to the breaker box.
"It can be nauseating for some, but have to go through the power lines. Grab on to my shoulders and Ill take you both through."
Zander knew he could do it, but they had to be fast.
"Trust me on this. Ill explain more afterwards."

Last edited:
Taking a look at the book, Jennifer gave a quick word of thanks before placing the book the very corner of the bookshelf, before covering it with the less suspicious books.
“Mmm, alright. Sweet dreams.”
She began going up the stairs, when she stopped and talked while facing upstairs.
“By the way, Amber? You seem like a fairly competent girl, how much would I have to pay for you to steal something?”
@Alissa Ming

"Well, we would look down on Rats, but those furry rodents earn more than us and they work from home" He chuckles, regarding Helen with a smile as e finished up his side of the wall. Oh yes, that did look much better now. "Well, most people would love to get everything they need with lifting a finger. 'Till they realize you can't really enjoy something when it's so easy" He stepped back from the wall and watched her work away, spreading out his arms and going "Tada! Doesn't it feel grand to look upon such a well tended spot? I can smell the effort... THough that could just be the bins round the corner..."

"I'm sorry?" Amber asked, trying to keep the wariness out of her voice. She wasn't entirely sure if she'd succeeded, considering the question had taken her off guard. She was certain she'd done a better job of keeping exactly what she was secret. If this woman could tell, she really needed to work on her silver tongue and poker face.

Finishing up, Helen wiped her head, as if she was sweating, and cockily smiled at Torian.
“I hate people that are so lazy, I’ll never say it though. I agree, there’s no point in having money handed to your arse daily, it’s better to earn it.”
She did get a bit over-confident when she stepped back and looked at the wall, that such a big wall could be conquered by a janitor and a girl.
“Anyways, shouldn’t you get home, it’s late, and I’m on night shift and cleaning. So I have to go back to my shop. So you around.”
She began to slowly step backwards, the shop she came from, she was looking quite exhausted though, and did so reluctantly since cleaning duty is NOT fun, in fact, she was biting down on her cigarette in slight irritation.
@Kanassa
—————
Freezing up when she realised what she said in her tiredness, she took a deep breath and turned around. Jennifer had something about Amber, a gut feeling perhaps? Or simply because she listened in on her?
“Uh...Um...Well, no to be rude..But you seem like those people who would be good at hiding, so how much would you want? I’ve got money, and I just something from the council members. Don’t tell anyone, I’ve got money..”
She paused for a moment.
“And besides, if you do, I’ll make sure your reputation disappears along with your body.”
....It wasn’t a bluff, despite her previous nervousness.
@Alissa Ming

Torian stabbed the bottom of a mop onto the ground, acting as if he held a mighty sword over a fallen foe. "We've conquered the wall!" To emphasize his words, he tapped his hand against the wall, grinning at the clean stone. But when Helen started walking away, he stopped, his ears perking up t 'cleaning', More to be cleaned? But he really should be getting back to his house, the dark, hollow, small abode where he left his collection of pictures with his face stuck over other people's faces with glue. Dear god, he needed to get out more. "Do you need any help? I still have the cleaning fever in me" It was better than walking back, besides, maybe he'd get a good look at this shop.

Amber considered. She had given herself away, she had to have. But Jennifer was willing to pay, and this place was highly suspicious. Gale was here, so she had at least some backup, though she had to admit she was nervous about the idea of stealing without her entire team here. Her normal patron wasn't here either, so she would be running out of money if she wasn't careful. She wasn't overly worried about her reputation. Her reputation was that of a name and a card. She hadn't been in jail since she was twelve. She could make herself disappear with her cloak. "The cost would depend on how tough the job is." She said, testing the waters. "And when you would want it done."

Theo didn't question it. Him and Leon had powers so it wouldn't be so weird if this man had powers. He placed his hand on the man's shoulder as well. "I'm ready whenever you are. He hoped he didn't get nauseous from this.

"Ok, here goes."
In an instant, Zander and the two strangers passed through the power lines the same way he had gotten in. They would come out of the breaker box of the machine shop in
Zander's office, which was on the main floor just inside, next to the main garage.
"Well, here we are."
Zander opened the door to the office, and turned the light on to the garage. The shelves were full of tools, cans, and parts, there were oil stains on the floor, a couple of vending machines sit in the corner.
"Make yourselves at home. I live upstairs on the second and third floors, if you wanna watch tv or something."
Zander had no idea what time it was, only that he was tired, but couldn't sleep.

Jennifer laughed lightly at the deal, despite her somewhat implied death-threat, she seemed to treat this with not much concern.
“Ahahaha! So you agree. Well, it might be the most hardest you’ll ever do, council members don’t go out except very late at night, and they do have weapons. That thing on their necklace..All of them have some sort of a shard of something. Oh, time? I’m a very patient woman, and I’ll try to help out, But I can do, I’m afraid, are smoke and mirrors.”
She said it quietly, as if she was suspicious someone was listening. She showed no remorse or guilt in her tone however.
@Alissa Ming
———————
The woman seemed to unlock the shop and go in without a sound, but then popped out again when she heard Torian eating to help out. She sighed in relief and said.
“Well, you can...But have you see the shop? It’s a general store, so there’s bird crap, cakes under the display for a week and clumsy idiots dropping thing onto the floor. Are you up to the challenge?”
@Kanassa

Amber considered. A real challenge then. And no time limit would be perfect. It would give her time to get back with Gale and find out if any other members of her crew were here. She never did a job alone. "That's fine." Amber said. Her eyes glittering in anticipation of a job that would be challenging. "Anything else I need to know about the necklaces?"

"Am I up to the challenge?!" Was she questioning his integrity? Well, now he had to go in for the sake of his ill-thought-out pride. "Bird crap, moldy food, glass, even dead bodies; BRING IT ON!" He whipped around his coat, some amount of noise being heard as the things within clatter against one another, before striding over to the woman.

Sighing in relief again, she turned to face Amber. Her face shows a blank smile as always.
“Ah, thank you! Well, the reason it’s so hard is because all of the council members have it, as shard of some kind. So I might need to substitute a fake one. Or you know, lure them out and kill them all.”
She was about to go upstairs since it was late and she was tired, but she said one last thing.
“Also, have you felt something strange about Belleville?”
@Alissa Ming
—————————
The woman looked at him shocked, how could he be so awake at night?
“Well uhh...Good luck.”
She let him through into the store and it was a mess.
Cakes on the floor, likely knocked down by little kids, a blacked up floor, obnoxious ‘decorations’, even a bird flying out its cage. Yeah.
“This is why we don’t get business except for nerds and trinket fantasists.”
@Kanassa
—————————
(As for all of you, it’s late in Belleville but feel feel to do what you like, since your subplot ending. Talking, going through Leon’s strange book or just sleeping, go ahead.)
@ShadowCoyote0 @Draco Shadowdragon @Maluon
————————
@Green Door @bluestars @Arthur King

"Since I got here," Amber admitted. The blank smile was still creepy, but she couldn't complain too much. After all, she was being offered a job, and to be paid. She wasn't sure how much longer her own money would last, but it probably wouldn't be long enough.

“In what way, Amber? It’s rather strange, this town. I feel like my memories, abilities and personality are...muted. Perhaps it’s for my own good? Certain times, I felt normal, but it was painful. The guilt of..burning a village down to ashes? No, no. That can’t be it, I’ll never do that.”
Jennifer seemed to be admitting this because she now knew that Amber was a criminal, and that she herself was one possibly as well.
“Well, I’ll pay you soon, or just take my room-mate’s if there’s not enough. Good night!”
She wanted upstairs and retired for the night, property this time.
@Alissa Ming

Amber didn't have time to do more than consider what she'd been told by Jennifer before Jennifer went to bed. She suspected she would find it hard to sleep tonight. "Did you hear all that, Gale?"
"Yeah," Gale's voice spoke quietly in her ear. "Are you sure about taking this job? We don't normally work for just anyone."
"I know, I know. But...yeah. Something is seriously wrong with this place. And this could be a way to figure out what is going on. If nothing else, we might get some information on the forest or something. This place is weird."
"Well, as long as you're sure, I'm with you."
"Good. Let's hope that we have at least one more of the crew before we start this. It'll go much easier with Marina or Gai. Well, try to get some sleep."
"You got it."
And with that, Amber laid down on the couch and closed her eyes, her senses on high alert, just in case.

“This is nothing compared to when the school for rest went through it’s first sloppy soppy day, the cafeteria floor was like a war zone, teachers getting gunned down left and right” He began to stare off into the distance with a ‘traumatised’ look, the memories coming back... Oh, teh red stains on the floor, the screams, the rats picking off the corpses like vultures. “Now, grab a mop and start grooving that ass to the beat of...Uh... I lost whatever stupid metaphor I was going for there”

If Amber was asleep by then, she would have a strange dream.
A girl in a forest, eight demonic figures towering over her with scary expressions, the girl crying. For help possibly.
Amber was in the dream land, behind a tree watching the dream. She could help. If she could break out of that Hazen-dream state, which really, can be only broken out of by lucid dreaming or a strong will.
@Alissa Ming
——————————
Helen began to mop the dirty floor as well, although her mop has clearly seen better days, since it’s taking a while to clean up all the dust and slop from the floor.
“I heard that the teenager section of the school was immaculate. But if it’s like that, I’ll hate to imagine how the elementary school ones are...guhh.”
Thanks to Torian, it was getting cleaned up quickly.
@Kanassa
(We’re finishing up the the prologue! Expect a new day to come in a few days!)​

Amber couldn't move. Couldn't do more than watch. Not at first. She was a strong person with a strong moral code. But she was a thief. She fought the bonds, wanting to help, to aid the child. She knew what it was like to be scared. And she couldn't let it happen to a child, not even in a dream.

Back