He smiled slightly as she made her verbal checklist again reminding him of the go-lucky Option he had served with. Renius often had a habit of talking to himself aloud especially when trying to remember things. It used to drive Kaeso made but over time he had found it it endearing and grew used to the vocalisations of his otherwise reputable second. He watched the world go by in the short space of time that they spent in the car with a absent expression of remembrance. He was glad life in the Legions was always lived by the day. With his role as Centurion, it was his duty to lead from the front setting the example for the rankers that were under his command and responsibility. As a result Centurions were often killed by their willingness to do so. Kaeso knew his time as Centurion was five parts training, four parts experience and one part pure unadulterated luck. He blinked and looked at her as he followed her through the building and was conscious that it did not match with the layout he had set to memory before. "I would very much appreciate that," he said firmly knowing he was again stepping into an alien world.

The room they eventually entered was far too bright for his liking and he winced with an expression that did not hide his disapproval in the slightest. He wasn't going to lie or sugar coat things. He didn't see the point. The room immediately set him on edge and the feeling in his gut rose especially when the man that Valerie had identified as Shane spoke. He stood awkwardly in the room unsure of where he should go or stand and settled for 'an ease' position a little behind where Valerie stood, eyeing the room warily. There even stranger things about the room amidst the somewhat more familiar items such as the medical bench. He listened absently and slowly brought his attention back on the man with an uneasy frown. He had no idea what the man was saying but Kaeso wasn't sure it held anything of a positive note. Perhaps that was his own scepticism talking. He met the man's gaze and held it with the usual steeliness every Centurion eventually learned to live on.

He watched as the man read the papers he was given and wondered what it was that they had spoken about. It wasn't long before he felt he was being eyed over again and detested the feeling as he frowned at the man when he get the feeling he was being spoken to and looked to Valerie helplessly for explanation. He frowned and shifted his stance again as he mulled over her translation, "My blood? Why would you want that?" he asked in total incomprehension of the reasons why blood was taken. Only time blood was taken was when you died or it came from livestock, often used to thicken the gruel they ate. Testing blood was completely alien to his Roman understanding. He listened to her explanation and still wasn't quite convinced. He looked at her for a long time before he moved and eventually sat on the bench he was pointed to.

He stuck a finger at Shane but looked at Valerie as a thought suddenly struck his mind. "He's not going to do some weird mumbo jumbo ritual shit with what he takes, is he? If he is, he can think again," he asked plainly and watched her as he got an answer ignoring the expression upon the other man's face. He was still uncertain but after a few more moments he relented and gave a nod at Shane in the only he could give permission without needing one word to be translated.

"Is that why I'm here then?" he asked, "A health check?" He doubted he had any sort of illness that he knew of but it seemed they were particularly keen on making sure of it.

Valerie shook her head at his mention of a ritual, fetching a swab of cotton drenched in cleaning fluid. She gently turned his arm so that his hand was facing palm-up, the cold swab brushing across his skin in the area where the needle would be inserted. "There will be no rituals. We take the blood and put it under those things over there called microscopes-" she pointed to the equipment where it lay on the counter "- which are like very precise magnifying glasses. We can see things that are much smaller than the eye can see. Once of these things is the substances that float in your blood. If you have a disease, we will be able to tell."

Her smooth hands continued to cleanse the skin, Shane preparing the needle to draw blood in the meantime. The man approached the solider once he was finished, the needle brandished in his left hand while he held a blood centrifuging tube in the other. "You've told him whats going to happen right? I don't want him taking a swing at me when the needle goes in..." Valerie nodded her head, throwing the used cotton swob into a nearby bin before speaking to Kaeso.

'While he's drawing blood, could you make a fist like this? It helps to fill the needle faster so that the process is over quicker?" Shane waited until Kaeso was ready, Valerie nodding her head when he could insert the needle. Once the syringe was filled, Shane placed the blood on a slide and looked at it under the microscope while Valerie cleaned the place where the needle had been inserted and waited for the next test Shane wished to run.

They continued on like this for most of the day, Kaeso being prodded and poked like a specimen on a dissection table. Valerie noticed that Shane got more and more excited the more they progressed. In his excitement, his need for things to be done and his demand for speed and precision only increased until he was a ball of energy flitting between microscope and other pieces of equipment all the while stopping to write down notes in his book.

"This is incredible...using some of your research and applying it to mine, I might be able to map some of the unknown sequences in his genetic code! This is brilliant, absolutely amazing...maybe I'll get an award for this...." Shane said later on in the day, Valerie already feeling drained after running errands and fulfilling his every whim whenever he had a request. She was tired and it was this tiredness that caused her to jump in fright when the buildings fire alarm suddenly filled the air with a shrill. repetitive blaring noise. "What the hell?" Shane shouted, mimicking the girl as he suddenly pulled his hands to his head so that he could cover his ears.

"Maybe it's a malfunction after the machine caught on fire?" Valerie suggested to Shane, shouting at Kaeso from where she stood beside him in order to be heard, "That sound may mean there's a fire somewhere in the building! We're going to need to get out the building!" Shane ran out first, waiting at the door for Valerie and Kaeso to get out the lab before following close behind them as they headed for the exit.

The room held a certain coldness about it that discouraged him from want to return to it any time soon in the future and he inwardly shuddered. It was clear even to him that this was very much Shane's domain. He dropped his gaze and his eyes watched her smaller hands move his limb about as she readied it for whatever process they were using to draw his blood. His head tilted slightly as he listened, gazing at what she was gesturing to the funny little contraptions set on counters alongside numerous other things he supposed were a part of her everyday life here. He looked back at her as she continued explaining what it was that they were going to do. He nodded, whilst it was still strange and unworldly to him, he recognised she was trying to make this seem something that was entirely a normality of her time. A time in which he was now stuck till these people could send him back. He got the feeling that was going to be very difficult. Snapping out of his reverie, he nodded, "Well, wouldn't want to be contagious," he concurred, offering no resistance to what she was doing or against Shane hovering like an anxious bee nearby.

He kept his other arm loosely rested across a thigh as he sensed movement closing in and his eyes fixed on Shane, eyeing the needle with suspicion and wariness. Above all things, Kaeso was a soldier and was able to follow instruction without complaint no matter how much he disliked it. She had explained the reasoning behind it and could not argue against it despite his scepticism. He heard the man speak and though he had understood little to nothing of the man's words, he heard the anxiety within them. He supposed the man was afraid of getting hit and the thought amused him, his mouth quirking upwards in a small smile. He did as he was told, his fingers curling inwards as well exercised muscle bunched and he remained as still as as the bench allowed, letting Shane do what he needed to do. It was odd to see his own blood collect in one place without some kind of weapon being the cause.

"Am I really that interesting to him?" he asked staring at Shane as the man inspected what he had drawn, or at least that's what Kaeso assumed the man was doing.

As the day progressed, he was growing more and more ever the guinea pig. He hadn't realised he was such an interesting individual all of a sudden but Shane had been what he would fastidious. He had shouldered it with little complaint and a lot of questioning, wanting to know every little procedure that they were wanting to do on him. He was genuinely curious and understandably wary of it all but was glad for his training. He remained calm whereas he noted with disdain how animated Shane was getting as morning drew on into the afternoon. He could very well believe the man might miss a detail in whatever was driving his wonder. Kaeso shrugged, it went over his head and longed to return to the art of simple soldiering. Civilian life was completely beyond his every day norms.

Strange words filled with the tone of excitement buzzed nearby and Kaeso looked at Valerie instead frowning at her expression. He hoped the day would draw to a close soon. He knew she deserved to rest and put up her feet for a good many hours. It was then a loud noise filled his ears and he grimaced, unused to any thing like it. It was far more obtrusive than the yells of his enemies or even the sound of sword against shield before and in the heat of battle. He covered his ears in an instinctive reaction as he stared wide-eyed at Valerie and at Shane. Eyes shifted to Valerie as he heard her shout and he heard the command in her tone that brooked reaction. A fire? That could never be good. Fires in Rome was disastrous and often killed. Space was in high demand and there were no stringent building laws in place that dictated rules or regulations so buildings were often cramped and unfit for purpose. He moved immediately without question and joined her as they made their way out. The alarm blared with ruthless abandon as he followed her out. The corridors were rife with others leaving other rooms in their bid to get out of the building as quickly as was safely possible.

He blinked as they got outside and fresh air hit their faces. He looked at the building and then looked at Valerie, "What's the procedure now?" He had no idea if there was an actual fire or whether they had their own ways of dealing with it if there was one. He feared the machine would be further damaged making it even longer before he could return to his own time.

The sound went louder as they exited out the lab, the blaring now more of a screech as one of the fire alarms repetitively sounded off right above the doors leading into the biology lab. Valerie grimaced, hands still clasped against the sides of her head as she tried to block out the sound. They soon scattered out the building like ants from a termite hill, other scientists, students and miscellaneous staff surrounding Shane, Kaeso and herself. She took some time to adjust to sound of the outside world away from the fire alarm, a faint ring in her ear subsiding just in time for her to catch Kaeso's question.

"Hm? Sorry, I couldn't hear you for a second there. The alarm could just be faulty because of the original fire that happened yesterday...or there could be an actual blaze. It might even have just been someone who bumped the lever in the north wing of the building. I know the alarm there hasn't had it's glass covering replaced. What we do now is just wait, let the people in charge do a head count for each department. Most likely we'll be told everything is alright and be allowed back in soon enough." Just as she predicted, the head count was soon finished and the people were allowed back inside. Shane grumbled to himself as they reentered, scowling horribly.

"Waste of time...there's only so many hours in the day. We need to get this figured out and quickly..." He continued muttering things under his breath, Valerie purposefully hanging back so that she could speak to the soldier. She found she liked conversation with him and was relishing the idea of heading home so she didn't have to deal with Shane in the current mood he was in. "We should be almost finished. Not much longer now and then we will be allowed to leave and we can get that one and some proper food. Is there any particular meal you should like tonight? I think I ought to make it up to you after the astounding lack of-"

"It can't be! I must have just misplaced it!" Shane suddenly shouted from inside the lab, running around and shoving papers off of desks and tipping over beakers and petri dishes as he began to turn the lab upside down. Valerie furrowed her brows, looking at Kaeso with a puzzled expression before she entered inside. "What on earth is going on?" the female muttered in Latin. She was so used to slipping into the second language when talking to Kaeso that to speak in the older language had been almost instinctive. At the realization of her faux pas, she shook her head and instead spoke in English. "Shane, what's wrong?"

The man spun on his heels where he was, rushing over to Valerie and grasping her so tightly on her upper arms that she gasped. He had a wild, frantic look in his eyes, like a deer caught in headlights, not taking note of how the girl squirmed in his grasp at the painful way he held her. "My notebook, have you seen it? Did you place it somewhere? It has all my theories and concepts for this project and previous ones inside...to loose it would be disastrous...I thought it was in my lab coat but it's not, I must have taken it out just before the alarm went off! The only other place it would be is on the desk but it's not, it's not! Did you move it?!!" Valerie wriggled more, trying and failing to get out of his vice-like grip.

"Shane you're hurting me! I don't know where the notebook is, I know not to touch that stupid thing! Please, let go of me!" Valerie was beginning to grow frantic herself, unable to twist her hands in the right direction to get him off her.

The sound hurt his hearing. It was too loud and angry like an irate bee buzzing about his head. Soon he was surrounded by multitudes of other people but that didn't phase the soldier who was used to working in a crowd either in the hubbub of Rome's streets or in the disciplined units of the Legions. He hoped it wasn't a real fire, that would set him back in terms of getting back home. It got easier as they stood in the cool air of the outside world and he looked at her as she spoke, keeping fairly close to her as he bent his head slightly to hear her better. "All right," he nodded and glanced up to see men exiting the building and waving the staff back inside with an air of permission. Back to being poked and prodded, he mused to himself as the crowd shifted back inside to return to their workstations.

He glanced with a frown as Shane pushed on ahead and he reluctantly fell into step a few paces behind him. He heard the man mutter beneath his breath and whilst he didn't know what the man had said, he could still very well guess what the man was mumbling about. He shook his head, Kaeso had little care for whiny impatient people and hated the fact so many in the Legions at least were Tribunes on the make. He heard the soft cadence of Valerie's voice and gladly pulled his attention away from the male. He smiled touched by her words but knew it was him who should making her something or rather taking her out. Alas, he was in this time a man without a coin to his name, not even one Sestertius as he wasn't in the habit of fighting with money in hand. He frowned when he heard Shane shout from the room, raising his brows in equal confusion when Valerie looked at him. He entered after Valerie did, staring at the mess Shane was making. Kaeso frowned as the man grew more and more agitated when he couldn't find whatever it was he seemed to be searching for.

The soldier frowned when Shane rushed over to Valerie and began in what Kaeso could easily see to be questioning. He didn't what the questions were but he didn't like how Shane was manhandling Valerie when the woman had done nothing wrong. If anything, Valerie had done everything within her power to help him and to help the man she was working. It wasn't right that Shane was now treating her like this. It was bad enough he seemed to rule with an air of expectance in the same way of Emperors and Imperial freedmen. He scowled and the fact the Shane was not releasing her spurred the soldier into action. In a few strides he came between them and gripped Shane's shoulder with a strong grip of his own as he stared harshly at the man as he pushed the man slightly with a clear purpose of why he was stepping in.

"Let her go. Now," he spoke plainly, his eyes glancing to Valerie in meaning before staring back at Shane with purpose, speaking with forced authoritative demand into the tone of his voice as he continued to stare Shane down. He hoped his tone was clear enough for Shane to understand his meaning without the need for Valerie to translate. It was clear the Centurion was not a man to mess with, he would brook no dishonourable behaviour even if Shane was not under his jurisdiction. He knew his rank meant nothing now but it had meant everything to him in his time. He was not going to let Valerie get hurt just because Shane had lost something.

Once Shane had seen to reason, he turned to Valerie, a hand gently resting to her shoulder as he looked her over with concern. She was the only one who was helping him to come to terms with what had happened, to understand why and where he was in the world in this time. His brow furrowed, "Are you all right?" He made sure that Shane kept his distance as he made sure she was okay. He slowly nodded before he gestured at Shane with an irritated movement. He didn't like the man much and what had just happened only proved to stamp the opinion further. It was not civilised behaviour.

"Now, what has he lost and acting like a child about?" he asked,

She was scared, her eyes wide with fright as the man continued to shake her, his eyes searching as if his notebook might appear magically in the folds of her clothes. Shane continued on relentlessly, leaning his head from side to side as he scanned over her. His focus was on the missing notebook and he didn't seem to take anything else into consideration. "You must have it, you must! I wouldn't misplace it, I haven't ever lost it or put it somewhere it doesn't belong so it must have been you!" Valerie knew he was going to leave marks. He was a crazed man, grey eyes glazed over with his anxiety at having lost his most treasured possession.

That's when Kaeso stepped in, his presence felt more than seen by Valerie. She felt the worry and terror that had built up and coated her mouth like a bitter gall ebbing away at the sight of his hands gripping Shane's shoulders and pulling him away. Shane couldn't understand at all what Kaeso had said, but the mere authoritative tone of the man's voice enough to suddenly calm him down though. Ultimately, it was the way the soldier suddenly took a hold of Shane that ultimately snapped him back to reality. Shane wasn't a small man, built enough to be considered acceptably fit. However, he had not trained with a sword or led the life of someone in the military as the Roman had. Shane, even in his maddened state, could see the potential for getting his lights knocked out and so backed off.

The man's grasp on Valerie lessened and then was gone altogether, the sudden flow of blood that pulsed through the female's arms making her bring up the limbs and cross them over her chest. Once the tingling in the very tips of her fingers subsided, she rubbed the area around her arms where the other man had been holding. She looked at Shane with an expression of betrayed trust, fear still evident in her wide, green eyes. She flinched slightly when Kaeso placed a hand on her, uncrossing her arms and looking up at him. She needed to gulp, wetting her throat which had gone dry during the ordeal. "I'm fine...thanks to you stepping in. Thanks. He's lost his book that keeps all his work in. The one that he is always writing in."

The female stepped around the soldier, saying to Shane who was now looking around the lab in a much more controlled manner.
"I'm tired and I'm sure Kaeso has had enough for the day. I'll be leaving now. Good luck finding your book." Shane turned slowly, his eyes saddened by the fear reflected in Valerie's. "Kaeso? Oh, you must mean the patient. I didn't know that was his name." He hesitated for a moment, chewing on his bottom lip before speaking again. "I'm...I'm so sorry. You're welcome to leave. I'll make it up to you...take you out for coffee or something when the project is over..." His apology seemed sincere enough, the girl nodding her head as she reached across him and grabbed her things. "I guess...I'll see you round Shane." Valerie returned to the soldier, saying softly "Let's go shopping for food...I think I'm going to need that glass of wine soon. Maybe even a bottle." She attempted a smile, but it came across more as a grimace as the female exited out the lab and headed towards the parking lot.

Kaeso had no time for acts like this. He didn't care why the man was so upset or angry with Valerie, it was still no call to manhandle her like this. He made sure he was ready should the man think it was an idea to try anything but the soldier was relieved when Shane backed down and did as he was told. Kaeso pushed him back slightly in emphasis and then pointed with a finger at the spot in which Shane stood, "Stay," he stated, emphasising with his finger before seeing to Valerie. If she wasn't used to it then Kaeso was aware of how that could leave a person. He could see the fear within her and perhaps shock too. He wasn't surprised. Working with a guy who underappreciated one's talent was one thing, having them turn around and abusing you in demand to know something was something else. He offered her a reassuring smile before he nodded. "Then he ought to retrace his steps. Not resort to violence," it was perhaps odd coming from someone who stock and trade lay in violence but this wasn't war. He wasn't in a battle anymore.

He watched her as she moved ans stood wary of how Shane would react as she spoke in their native tongue. He glanced at Shane directly at the use of his name and narrowed his eyes slightly as he watched the man carefully. He didn't trust the man to behave himself and was only happy once Valerie was out of Shane's immediate reach. He guessed the man had apologised from the tone but Kaeso wasn't buying it though he did hope the man found what he had lost if it meant getting back to his own time. It was a brutal life but it was one he understood.

He looked at Valerie and nodded, "Yes, let's," he agreed wholeheartedly tired of being poked and prodded as if he were indeed at a slave market. It had been unpleasant and challenged his ability of patience. More than once had he resisted the urge to walk out on them all during the day's procession. He followed her out back into the open of the parking lot and felt much better just for being in fresh air. Being inside almost felt as if he was being confined. Perhaps he was just used to army life. Tents didn't offer much protection. Especially in winter.

"Has he always been like that?"
he asked as they returned to her car. He moved to the side he had sat in this morning and yesterday wondering where they would go to pick up food and drink. He felt bad that he couldn't pay some way for it but he didn't know what currency`these people even used. He had a feeling that Denarii was no longer in use at all.

Valerie breathed in deeply once she was out the building, shutting her eyes for a moment and focusing on the way the sunlight felt on her face. He probably didn't mean for it to be so painful...I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Still though, I really don't know how I'm going to feel about needing to continue working with him. At least I know Kaeso will always be around to keep him in check. I don't know what I would have done if he wasn't there today. She headed towards the car, unlocking it and getting in after the Roman. The car rumbled to life once more, the girl putting on her seatbelt and stretching forward to put on the radio. Her hands shook, the female biting her lip at the sight and balling her fingers into a tight fist. Get over it Val, you've got things you need to do. Acting like a scared child will get you nowhere. Suck it up and get on with your day. Valerie breathed in deeply, forcing the shaking to stop for a moment as she hit the volume button on the car's radio.

It was only once they were driving out the university gates that she started to feel more normal. "No, he's never done anything like that before. Maybe it's just the stress of the project and other deadlines he needs to meet that is putting him on edge." She responded to the solider, shrugging her shoulders and glancing at him for a moment. They drove for a few more minutes, passing the the road they would need to turn into to get to Valerie's apartment and instead turned into another parking lot. This time, it belonged to the supermarket with it's large sign and glass windows at the front showing off the products inside. "Lets get some food and some wine. You never did tell me what meal you would like to eat...I'm going to add the type of wine you like to that question as well." She slid out the vehicle, locking the car and heading inside the supermarket. "Things might be a little strange for you inside here. We don't have traditional markets with stalls and such. Most people can get everything they need from one place, like the store we're going into now. The food you see is going to be different too. If you see something you like, just tell me. Also, whisper if you want to speak...people might look at you strangely if they hear us speaking a language they don't understand. Some people don't treat people from different places very well."

Valerie grabbed a nearby shopping basket, heading inside and perusing the shelves for the items to make a meal for herself and Kaeso. The supermarket was cold inside, the girl thankful for the long-sleeved shirt she wore. Other than blocking out the chill of the air-conditioners humming overhead, it acted to hide the fresh bruises forming like fierce blue-purple rings on her upper arms. Her limbs hurt, that was a certainty. However, she had never been one to complain or point out when something was bothering her. The incident with Shane was one she wanted to bury in her mind as soon as possible and that meant not bringing it up for as long as possible. Her feet squeaked across the tiles between the aisles, the girl stopping occassionally to look at certain items more closely. She was thankful for Kaeso's company, voicing this thought to him quietly.

"I'm glad you're here....I'm also glad you were there in the lab when Shane decided to lose his mind a little. I don't know how I would have gotten the situation under control if you hadn't been there. I appreciate what you did for me...even if it might have been second nature for you with your military background. I can notice a good deed when I see one. You don't know me yet you still chose to step in, so thank you."

He shook his head in disgust as they walked out of the building and to her little car in the parking lot. There was never any good in manhandling or beating women, especially from those who were doing their utmost to serve one's needs. He knew there were plenty of women in his time that were used to the harsh labours that life held in store for them. Gods knew he had known a few of them as he waited for his father to come home from campaigns. He sat in the seat closing the door and laying the seat-belt flat against his chest as he clicked it into the buckle slot. You couldn't just treat people like that and expect to miraculously get what you want and it seemed especially true in this day of age. Kaeso wouldn't be surprised if she was usually doing most of Shane's work if not all of it for him and he was claiming the credit. Some things just don't ever change, he mused glancing as music filled the small space of the car that to him felt rather constricting. However, it felt a lot more safe than sitting on an open wagon. He hoped she was all right as she said she would be. He also hoped Shane wouldn't try it on again, especially with him in the room. The next time Shane resorted to that kind of behaviour, Kaeso wasn't going to be as polite with his own response.

"Bollocks," he shook his head as he watched the world go past them, "No call to be an arse like that even if you are stressed. It's people like him who get people killed with their jumpy decision making and questionable practices. Not right to treat you like that, it ain't right at all." He gave a short firm nod on the matter. He had seen a fair few like Shane in the Legions over the fifteen years that he had served thus far. For some, the army life had been the make of them and turned them from boys into men but more often it broke them. He doubted Shane would last for very long. "He tries that again with me in the room, I won't give him a warning," he told her as she turned the car and headed into a bigger car park. He wasn't afraid to show his feelings on that matter. If he could be helpful to her in return for her taking him in then he was happy to do. He had grown up with the life lesson that nothing was ever free and if you wanted something, it had to be earned.

The soldier unbuckled and exited the vehicle closing the door with a firm hold before resting against its side as he waited for her. He listened and nodded, it seemed his native language really was at its end in this world. It saddened him, he loved the land from whence he came and Latin was an intrinsic part of that. He would never look or sound like one of these people, his skin was far too tanned and darker toned coupled with black hair and hazel brown eyes. He nodded in indication that he had understood her as he smiled, "Honestly, pork always goes down well," he nodded, "But I've been on army food for most my life. I'll be happy with whatever you pick out," he didn't really know to what extent lay in her everyday diet. For him, it usually consisted of meat, bread and watered down wine or plain water. He had learned how to make jerky but making it in British weather had been next to pointless since there had been so very little sun.

The place was huge and he shivered as he felt cool air being blown about the place. It wasn't the same kind of cold he had been used to back in his world of Britannia. It was far too crisp for it to have been close to the muggy British weather. He stared around at all the bright colours and extensive amount of produce on the stalls. He had never really seen so much food in one place like this. For all intents and purpose, this place looked like it could feed a whole town. The awe was evident on the Centurion's face as he walked alongside Valerie. He was taken aback so much that he unwittingly bumped into someone else. He blinked as the man grumbled something out and Kaeso offered a look of apology since he didn't know how to say it in their language. He didn't really know if they still spoke Celtic. He supposed that was a next to dead language by now too. He made a mental note to ask later.

He glanced to her as she spoke to him and he offered a reassuring smile, "It's not a problem, truly. I'm just disappointed in the fact he went that far... I get the impression he doesn't appreciate you and your set of skills as much as he ought to." He was honest in that feeling and knew had she been born a man, then things could have very well been different for her. Especially if she had been born in his time. If he ever did get the chance to return to the world he understood, he knew he was going to be sad to see the last of her. He looked at the basket she carried and he pointed to it, "Like me to carry that for you?" he offered generally out of a need to be useful but he wasn't going to push it if she declined. He just wasn't used to following someone like this and not doing anything. Idleness was not something to be found in the Roman army or in its officers.

He was sincere, honest too. Protective. The attributes were familiar to the girl, but familiar in a way that brought a painful pang to her chest and made her stomach twist into a knot that Houdini would have trouble escaping from. She had known the same characteristics in another male not so long ago, the loss of him felt over again as if she had sliced open a newly healed scar. The similarities between Kaeso and the man who had owned the clothes the soldier now wore were uncanny and Valerie was still unsure whether she was grateful for the encounter or saddened by the memories Kaeso's mannerisms and ideals forced her to relive. It was becoming more and more difficult for her to mask the feelings that reared their ugly heads, the anger and sense of loss she felt becoming more stubborn and difficult to cast aside and ignore.

She was lost in her own mind for a few seconds, the Roman's voice echoing in the background almost unheard until his request to help her caught her attention. "Um, sure. You're welcome to carry it." The truth was that with every item she added to the basket, the more demanding the painful bruises became in her acknowledging their presence. She was all too happy to hand over the light load to the well-toned male, smiling gratefully as she gave him the basket. "Pork, you say? Your wish is my command." She said lightly, trying to cover up the daze she had been in but a moment earlier. Maybe it was the exhaustion from the night before or even her ordeal with Shane, but her mind was plaguing her with memories and thoughts like death haunted a dying man's doorway.

The girl strode into the freezer isle, picking up different types of pork which she felt confident she could cook well and added these to the basket. Wine was the next thing on her mind, the girl carefully taking the man's wrist in soft, nimble fingers and led him down the aisle in the opposite direction he was turning. "Right. Now, onto my other promise. What type of wine do you like?" The aisle was lined with bottles of various brands and colours, some a soft blush pink while others were as dark and richly hued as blood. The variety was quite large and the girl hoped he wouldn't be overwhelmed by the amount of choices available to him.

Once he had made his pick, she was sure to take two and held one in each hand before heading to the tills. She was excited at the prospect of company, the female finding she felt like a child getting giddy at idea of having guests over for supper as she hurriedly paid and helped tote the plastic bags filled with food and other goods back to her car. She was eager to get back to her apartment and wind down after the rather drastic turn to her day with Shane losing his mind over a lost book. It was on the drive back to her abode that she decided to try and find out more about the Centurion, wanting to learn as much as she could about the history and place he had been part of before he had to leave once more. It was not every day you got to talk to a living artifact and the more Valerie talked to Kaeso, the easier it was to ignore the throbbing coming from her arms and the memories floating just beneath the surface of her thoughts. While she tried to convince herself that her need for conversation was purely scientifically motivated, deep down she had some inkling that she simply enjoyed talking to a man that helped her feel less like a wound up spring ready to snap or jump at the slightest trigger after the day's events...as well as the hurt of the past that refused to be ignored.

"How long were you in the army for?" She asked, slowing the car down as they approached a red light. The female ran her fingers in an absent-minded fashion through her hair, sighing slowly as she leaned further back into the car seat

He smiled gently as he took the basket from it and held it with ease. It was as light as a feather compared with the usual amount he carried in a day. The experience of going to a supermarket was new for him and he was glad to be given a task to do. Even something so mundane as carrying the produce for her. Kaeso did not mind the act, it made him feel useful and lightened her load. He couldn't imagine what she was used to dealing with where she worked everyday. He knew his arrival couldn't have helped much. He was something new and shiny to Shane and it felt like both Valerie and himself were running to keep up with the man's over enthusiasm. He shook his head and pushed Shane from his mind. The man wasn't worth his time and he refocused as Valerie spoke of wishes and commands. He smirked, "Wish most of my underlings were as understanding of that," he chuckled referring to his now long extinct century, keeping his voice low as she had wished.

The temperature grew colder all of a sudden as he followed her into an aisle where everything seemed to be contained in cold boxes with lids. He stared at them and touched the glass of one of the doors. It was frosty cold and reminded him of the bitter winters of Germania. He let his hand drop after a moment and caught up with her in time for him to lift the basket so she could place the meat inside it. He blinked when she took his wrist unused to such delicate touches but he offered no resistance as he was pulled to an aisle full of bottle. His mouth hung open in amazement, "This place.... I have never seen so much wine in place!" he exclaimed under his breath and chuckled.

He looked at her when she asked which was to his liking and then he stared back at the names he couldn't make much sense of as he stared at all the bottles lined up in neat regimental lines with only a few missing here and there where he assumed other people had taken a bottle or three. He peered at some of the names, Merlot... Cabinet-Savignon, Shiraz and felt he was pronouncing them incorrectly. So many looked good to try and he tapped his chin as he considered the options, "These are all new to me... Something deep, fruity?" he asked, looking at her for help with a smile. If she had a favourite then he was all for trying. Choice made, he joined her to the person who seemed to process it all and he wordless packed it into the shopping bag for her before they headed for the car.

He couldn't wait till they could just sit down and relax without the worry that they'd have to get up again. He leaned into the car seat as it progressed alongside other cars that followed ordered routes. As much as he was missing his usual routines, he had enjoyed his time with Valerie and adjusting to a life that didn't involve following orders, drilling and bloody fighting. It felt nice and a good change even if it had meant he was thrown so far into the distant future. He was still having some difficulty in understanding that he had zipped through a thousand years or so. He sighed with contentment before he glanced at her as her voice filled the small space. He liked the sound of her voice, he decided. So different from the rough baritones of the men he had fought with and the common talk of the women he knew in Rome.

"Oh, some fifteen or so years," he breathed, "Legionary for ten, Optio for two and Centurion for the rest." He hadn't been a Centurion for long but it had felt right, even born for it some might have said. The transition had been strange at first but he was glad the promotion happened. Not that there would have been any chance of him having turned it down, he'd been a fool otherwise. He smiled as the care trundled along again, "How about you? How long you've been doing your... scholorly thing?" he asked with a wry smile.

The light turned green once more, the car slowly pulling off as they headed back to the apartment. Valerie thought she could hear her comfortable clothes and couch calling her name right from where she sat in the car, the female making a quiet note of what she was looking forward to as soon as she arrived home. Just as with her items much earlier that day, she quietly spoke these to herself like a motivational mantra. "Shower, pajama's, food, wine, sleep...." He answered her soon enough, the conversation between them making the drive home much more enjoyable for the young scientist when usually it seemed to drag on forever.

"
Fifteen years? That's a rather long time. You seem quite young to me at least, so you must have been conscripted at an early age." He asked a question of his own, Valerie tilting her head to the side as she thought, looking rather like a sparrow or some other small bird. "Um...well...education begins now a days at the age of about six or seven. So I've been in school for more than twelve years and I completed my degree about three years ago. As for working with Shane, that's only been happening for the last six months or so." The last sentence was said with a slightly sour tone, the girl's lips thinning as she pressed them together tightly. There was a moment of silence, the bruises ebbing more strongly than before until she added more. "We'll have to see how long that lasts for though. Anyways, what age was it that you joined your military life? What was training like?"

They arrived back at the apartment, Valerie turning the car back off and going to the trunk to retrieve the food bags. Usually she tried to carry as much at once, using this same method now. However, as soon as she attempted lifting the bags into the air and out the car a throb pulsed it's way down her arm. She moaned under her breath, scowling as if this was more of a nuisance to her than painful. The plastic bags she attempted to take was reduced from four to two, the girl looking back to make sure that Kaeso would be able to manage the rest before closing the boot and locking the car. Carrying the items, even in a smaller number, was an issue that she grit her teeth through and the girl was all too happy to dump the food onto the kitchen counter as soon as they arrived. Valerie let out a huff, beginning to pack things away.

"
You're welcome to use the bathroom first. I'll get started on the food while you're busy. The clothes are in the same box as before, you may take out what you wish." She nodded her head in the direction of the cupboard where the box was stored, placing a new milk carton into the fridge as she spoke. Shane said to rather keep him ignorant of this world...after today I'm rather inclined to disregard anything he has demanded me to do. If he wanted him to remain in the unknown, he should have made a plan to keep him blindfolded from the moment he arrived. There's no point now in trying to hide things from him, he's already seen so much. Besides, if...I mean when, he returns, no one will believe any of the truths he'll have to tell of what he's experienced.

Once he was finished, she proceeded to shower and change herself. She soon emerged from the room in an oversized t-shirt and cotton shorts, frowning profusely as she went to the bathroom mirror to properly inspect the fresh montage of purple and blue patchwork circling around her upper arms. The sight appalled her, a long sigh escaping from Valerie as she puffed out her cheeks. "
Looks like it's long shirts at the university for the next week..." she said, mumbling the words to herself in an odd mixture of English and Latin. It was becoming something of a habit for her to hybridize the two languages, using mostly the archaic one and filling in the English word when there wasn't a Latin equivalent. Valerie applied some cream to the area, cringing at the sensitivity of the skin to touch although she got the procedure done with as soon as possible.

Her phone buzzed where it rested beside the sink, the female taking a cursory glance at the screen while screwing on the medicinal cream's lid. When she saw who it was from, she knew it couldn't wait to be opened later that night. She wiped her hands, opening the message which held information which made her smile rather than roll her eyes. '
Couldn't find notebook. Suspect it's been stolen. No need to come in tomorrow or maybe even the next day, bringing in people to do some investigating and look at the camera footage during the fire alarm. Enjoy your day off. Shane.' The female happily deleted the message, smiling widely as she exited the bathroom.

She headed back into the kitchen, glancing at Kaeso with her smile still resembling that of the Cheshire cat's as she grabbed a bottle opener and uncorked the first bottle of wine. "Large glass or small? Before you answer, I think it best you know that your company has not been requested by his royal majesty tomorrow."

Kaeso glanced at her as she spoke but he realised she was speaking to herself rather than to him. He looked back as they travelled towards her home, watching as the scenery flew past as the car moved. He smiled and chuckled softly as he nodded. He had signed up as soon as he could wanting to see something beyond Rome and her borders. It had certainly been an experience he would never forget for as long as he was lucky to live and he had no regrets for joining up. He was sure he'd do it all again if the choice was presented to him. He smiled, "A long time to be in education and understudy," he mused aloud not really knowing how it different in her time compared with his. He had received enough education in that he could read and write to a decent level though his handwriting left something to wonder at. He lifted a hand and stifled a yawn. "He'd be bloody stupid to throw you away. He's just blind to how much he needs you," he sighed in reference about her colleague. It was clear the man didn't appreciate her as much as he ought to do.

He thought back to his first day as a conscripted man and grunted in thought, "Think I was barely under my seventeenth year when I enlisted. Trudged all the way to the Rhine where I and other were trained by an grizzly old fart of a Centurion. It was rough, he kept us on our toes from the first hour to the last. Barely a moment's rest back then. You had to keep your wits about you and learn from the other rankers there for tips. Inspection checks were daily, everything had to be tip top condition or you were for latrine duty. I don't miss that. He was a miserable old bastard but he taught me everything I needed in order to survive. "

The Roman was glad for when he could get to his feet again and he stretched, something clicked in his spine and he let a little sigh before he moved to help with the shopping. He watched her for a moment as she tried to carry all of them in one go. She was certainly a determined woman, he had to give her that and smiled slightly to himself. It was a trait he could admire in others. "Here, let me," he said softly and lifted the rest of the bags that she couldn't manage alone. There was certainly no shame in accepting help. After all, she was helping him understand much of the world around him without making him feel like a complete idiot and he was very thankful for that. Only the Gods knew what could have happened to him if it not been for kind souls.

Kaeso rested the bags on the counter after following her as she spoke and he gave a nod of his rugged head glad to be somewhere warm and safe. "Thank you," he replied with feeling. The shower was something he approved of with relish though the first time of working out how to use it and learning what it did had been highly interesting. Once he had learned its little secrets, the feeling of water jetting down his back had been next to divine as he could have hoped from it. It was also a very Roman thing to keep clean and showering or bathing was often a requisite. He was lucky he was in the army and had certain privileges. The everyday civilian wasn't so lucky. He moved to the room he had been assigned and sorted through the contents, lifting them out one by one, inspecting and carefully folding them on the bed. He picked something out and was soon relishing the feel of a shower again. It was too bad these weren't in his time and he absently wondered if he could fashion one. There was a lot here that seemed to be an improvement of every day things. He eventually relinquished his use of the bathroom and returned the used clothes to his room, placing them neatly to one side unsure how she went about cleaning them. He would aim to do it later.

He contented himself with inspecting her living space as he waited patiently for her to finish washing and changing her clothes. No doubt she would appreciate that good shower too. He blinked as a bead of water fell into his eyes and he pushed his damp hair back. He was due for a haircut soon. It was starting to get too long for comfort. In the end, he perched on a kitchen stool at the counter top. Wonder what became of the army and whether the campaign was successful, he mused staring absently at the kitchen and all the different little machines it held within with as far away look. Doubt I'd be allowed to know how things went... He shook his head. Marcellus was aware that that line of thinking would get him absolutely nowhere. What wouldn't he give for Renius' everlasting optimism and smile right now. Movement snapped him from his reverie and he looked at her as she stood opening one of the wine bodes. He whetted his lips at the prospect.

"Oh, I'll have the same size as you," he smiled warmly before he tilted his head as she referred to someone of high status nearly missing her sarcastic with before the sestertius dropped and he smirked with understanding. "Still can't find what he's looking for, huh?" he shrugged, for the moment he did not care. All he wanted to do was relax and enjoy some wine with pleasant company. He just hoped that he wouldn't have to go through another day of being eyed over, poked and prodded. The experience was a little unnerving. "Still, it's good you have the day off, to get away from things. Everyone needs a little time off work. Even soldiers," he nodded. He lived for the army life but now and then he did like to take the days he did get to himself to just relax and see something of the land he happened to be fighting in.

Valerie tapped her fingers on the counter, musing as to which of the glasses she should use. She decided on the medium glasses, dragging two out by the stems which she carefully placed on the counter-top so as to not break the glass. The day was beginning to draw to a close, this evident in the twilight that was growing through the outside windows where the sky was painted a deep pink while most of the buildings and trees were solid silhouettes of black rather than detailed structures.

She gently tipped each glass towards the wine bottle, letting the red liquid fill half way up before replacing the cork into the bottle opening. Once she had slid the glass towards him, taking a small sip of her own, she started making supper. Soon the scents of cooked pork and vegetables filled the air. "Did you have any friends or family who will know that you're missing in action? How do you go about reporting such a thing in your time?" She asked causally over her shoulder, stirring a small pot with a wooden spoon while her back was turned to him. The food was just about done, her glass of wine already close to being depleted.

Her eyes looked back to him as she placed the rim of the glass against her lower lips, green hues scanning over the items he had picked out to where from the infamous box. That used to be his favorite shirt. The girl thought to herself, feeling an odd mixture of emotions at war with each other within her. She was sad that she had been unable to look over the items before now, the heavy feeling that came with merely opening the cupboard that contained the boxes too much to bear before. If it hadn't been for Kaeso's arrival, she couldn't help but wonder if she ever would really have dragged the cardboard storage out. The boxes seemed like such a simple thing but the items they held had enough sentimental value that it hit her like a truck whenever she needed to gaze at them, even if it was but a cursory glance. Seeing Kaeso now, looking more relaxed and at ease just like the previous owner of the shirt used to be when wearing it brought her some happiness too though. The combination of light and dark swirling within her mind made her head feel heavy...or was that perhaps the wine?

She dished up the food into bowels, placing the meal in front of her before refilling his glass and hers. "Is the wine alright? I'm not quite a connoisseur but this is the first one when you asked for something deep and fruity." Valerie sat down opposite him, dragging one of the stools around to the other end of the table so that she could take a seat. She waited for his response, digging into her food and allowing him to begin eating as well before proceeding to her next sentence. "I'm going to be honest with you. Shane asked me not to let you get too knowledgeable about this new world, but I know you must be curious. So, for things to be fair, I'm going to propose that for every question I ask, you be allowed to ask one as well. A sort of trading off of information and answers if you understand what I mean."

He relaxed as much as one could relax on a stool and let out a deep breath of thought. The prospect of wine filled him with a good kind of old familiarity and for that he was grateful. He was so busy trying to catch up with everything that he hadn't paused to take a breathe. Switching times, Shane, Valerie, all the sights that were familiar and unfamiliar. It was a swirling mess of questions and uncertainties. He didn't even know if he could ever go back to the world he knew and understood. He wasn't going to fool himself. He accepted the wine with a smile and raised it to his nose taking a sniff as he swirled it slightly. It smelt strong and fruity and almost like Falernian. He smiled, only the best wine then, he mused as he looked up at to watched her starting on the meal. Soon other scents were joining that of the wine and he savoured it all. The smell of good food was somehow always soothing. A reminder that he was alive and breathing.

He took a small sip and then a longer one of the wine and nodded with approval before glancing at her at the question put to him, "My century was wiped out. I have no doubts that the Senior Centurion will have me down as missing presumed dead. In that case, my will states that eighty per cent of my finances go to my father in Misenum. Rest will go to the funeral fund of the army along with enough for my own. Guess that'll go into the funeral pot as well since they wont find a body..." It did make him feel sad that his father wouldn't have anything to see off. Just standard letter sent by the Legatus wishing his condolences that had been written by some clerk. Nothing personal to his name, the army had no time for that. Not with so many dead during war time.

"That's if pa is still alive. Hadn't heard from him in a while before I... Before Britannia," he breathed staring into the glass that he wasn't really used to drinking out of. It was usually samian ware or if it was really fancy, metal goblets. He sighed with soft regret before running a hand over the back of his back, fingers bending the nape of the shirt he had chosen inwards. Food was soon put before him and he nodded with gratitude, "This smells delicious," he intoned with feeling before he picked up what he assumed was cutlery.

He smiled and nodded before gesturing to his glass with a rough forefinger, "Reminds me of Falernian... which back home is hard to get for a common soldier like me." he grinned before he settled down to his meal and found that it tasted just as good as it had smelt. Good food in the army was largely dependant on what the chef had available and how nice the chef was. He glanced up as she mentioned Shane and swallowed his mouthful as she finished speaking.

"I suppose he'd be fair in that... Had you arrived in mine... well..."
he didn't finished the sentence namely because he wasn't too sure what his people would have made of it. He doubted it would have ended well.

"But sure, I can do that... though I won't press for anything you can't tell me," he nodded before he gestured towards her. "You first, eh?" He dug for another mouthful and washed it down with his wine. It put him in good spirits and he felt more relaxed than he had in days despite being in such strange surroundings and clothing.

She finished her meal, stretching over behind her and precariously placing the dirty dish near the sink on the opposite counter. When he was done, she would do the same for his bowel, one arm outstretched while the other kept a hold on the counter. The action lifted the loose sleeves of her t-shirt to reveal the bruises. Once Valerie had recovered into her normal position, she subconsciously pulled the sleeves back down into a more covering position. She listened intently to his explanation on how the Roman army would deal with his disappearance, her eyes narrowing as she propped her elbow up on the counter and leaned into her hand.

"We have something similar here...I mean in this time. Soldier's family's also receive some sort of financial help with the funeral. I would be upset with not knowing how my family was doing as well. Luckily we have vastly improved our methods of communication now, so I can talk to anyone I wish no matter the distance almost instantaneously." Valerie mused quietly, her index finger circling the rim of the glass as she crossed one leg over the other. "Falernian sounds fancy. Like something fairies would drink...so I'm glad I could provide you with something you don't drink often. " She said with a light chuckle, some of the heaviness in her head from before dissipating.

He offered her the first question, the female looking off to the side as she thought for a moment. She perked up slightly when she managed to think of one, taking a sip of her one as the foot of her crossed over leg began bouncing up and down subtly. "Did you you have a favourite game you used to play as a child? It would be interesting to draw parallels between any similarities that have persisted across the ages? Now that I think about it, I'm not actually sure exactly what your age is..." The wine was sipped once more, the glass echoing lightly in the quiet room as she placed it back on the counter-top.

He ate with a fair amount of gusto relishing the taste of the pork and the vegetables that she had cooked with it. He ate it all and gently held it out to the waiting hand. "Thank you, that was the best pork I've had in a long time," he nodded with feeling and watched her as she moved about dealing with the dishes. He sipped more of his wine and rolled a shoulder, his eyes darkening slightly when he caught sight of her bruises. It was probably a good thing he wouldn't be seeing Shane again for a day or so. The man had no idea how much the Centurion had been restraining himself from hitting him outright before.

"Oh, that's certainly good to know... Dark days afoot when a state forgets the soldiers that fights for its borders," he mused aloud and nodded. It was certainly a good thing. The instantaneous ability to talk with anyone across the world sounded interesting but he didn't understand how she was able to do that. It sounded like the same kind of magic that had pulled him through. He was curious about it though. He chuckled softly and nodded, "A very welcomed surprise," he agreed wholeheartedly and he raised his glass to her in a toast of gratitude before he drank from it. It was good to hear her laugh, he got the impression that it was not something she had done fore a good while.

He looked at her at the question for a moment before he smiled trying to remember, "Hmm... That was a while back... Let's see... Did like playing catch a lot, used to see how far we could throw something or how high we could throw it and then catch it when it returned to earth again..." he said, tapping his chin in thought before he smirked. "I'm thirty-two," he nodded with the clarification of his age. He was fairly sure he probably looked far older than his age but he couldn't too sure what she had assumed his age to be.

"You said you could talk to anyone instantly with no limits of distance earlier? How?" he asked, "It takes a long time for me... you have to send it with the courier and hope most of the time," he explained wanting to know. It had made him curious. The ability to chat with anyone across vast distances with no limitations of time in-between was something that he would never have dreamed could be a reality. It must speed up the process of so many things in their society, he mused in thought and sipped his wine as he sat eagerly waiting for the answer.

She listened carefully, her green eyes watching his expression carefully as he talked as well. Valerie had always liked to watch people while they talked, seeing the emotions that passed through them from one word to the next and the way they liked to emphasize certain syllables. A lot of people's personality, hopes and fears could be discerned simply by watching the way they conversed with another. Valerie realized she may have been staring a little, the girl suddenly looking down into her glass before picking it up to have a drink. She placed the glass back down, her index thumb and thumb idly twisting around the stem of the goblet-like cup.

"Catch is still a common thing. The only thing that might have changed is some children call it tag in different parts of the world. I was more inclined to the first name as a child though. Young ones also inclined to competitive comparisons of throwing items." His age made her pause, the girl raising a gently curved brow before she continued. "I thought you were younger. You've aged a little more gracefully than other men your age I've seen, so that's something of a blessing for you." She smiled, peach-coloured lips curving only ever so slightly at the ends.

He then gave her his own question, the girl getting up without responding. She left the room, soon returning with her cellphone in her hand. The female walked over to his side of the table, placing the small item down in front of him before leaning over towards him so that she could reach the power button on the side. "We use this. Called a cellphone. You can send messages on here. My laptop as well...that thing that opens up almost like a book which I always carry around? You can write messages on that too. Things have gotten so good that I can even see the person who I want to talk to now, even if they're halfway around the world." She turned the device on, the screen suddenly becoming illuminated and showing the different options on the screen.

"Would you like to go sit on the couches? I'm afraid I got these stools more for utility than comfort. They weren't bought with the purpose of being sat on for periods any longer than that required to eat a meal." The girl leaned across, her hair which by now had dried into crisp curls falling over her shoulder as she retrieved her wine and cupped it in the palm of her hand.

He smiled, well at least that was something even if it had changed names over the man years in-between his time and hers. It was amazing that there were timeless constants and it was also reassuring. His people might no longer be around and his native language was pretty much something only for the selected few but there was still many things he could recognise in some way or form. He drank from his glass savouring the taste of the deep fruity wine. Kaeso nodded, "Well, kids always want to compete and win, don't they?" he grinned, recalling his time as a kid and always wanting to be the best at everything. He had since learned he could master one thing but not everything and had come to accept that fact.

He raised his brow when she said she had thought him younger than what he had admitted to and he smiled appreciatively towards her. "Hope for me yet then, eh?" he grinned mischievously and chuckled softly. He had never gave much thought to his own appearance, he was too busy with soldiering and commanding men around to worry about looks. Kaeso smiled, looks weren't everything but it was certainly good to know that he could deceive people. It was flattering.

The Centurion blinked as she got up and left without a word and he wondered if he had something to offend her. He couldn't recall having said anything rude but she soon returned and stood next to him. He looked at what she then placed on the counter and he lowered his head to peer at it with curiosity, head tilting when she explained what it was and what it did. She activated it and it lit up making him blink in surprise, "You can do all that on that little thing?" he asked with wonder looking at her and then back at the cellphone. How could something so small do so much? It defied belief and he was fast coming to the realisation that there was a lot in her world that he would never truly get the hang of. "That's really good... Wonderful... If we had that ability back in my time, processes would be so much quicker. More efficient,"

He leaned back slightly and then nodded, "The sofa things...? They did look very comfortable," he nodded and slipped off the stool before he lifted his wine glass and gestured for her to take the lead. The couches certainly did not disappoint and he sank into them happy in the knowledge he wouldn't have to get up for a while and wasn't required to be anywhere the next day. "Yeah... I'm not moving.." he announced, it was something he usually didn't have the luxury of doing. A Centurion's duty was never done as far as the Legions were concerned but other than making a report should he ever make it back, he had little else to do.

"Hm... Your turn now right?"
he asked, looking towards her.

She sauntered over to the sofa's, moving a couple of the plumper cushions aside before finally easing herself down. The girl got comfortable, lifting her legs up and crossing them underneath herself all the while being careful to not spill any of the wine which swirled around in her glass. The heaviness was back once more in her head, this time different. She felt like she was swaddled in a cloud, the least tense she had been that day after everything had occurred. Val turned her head slowly, acknowledging Kaeso with half-lidded eyes. She was tired, but not the sort of tired that required sleep. Perhaps, it was rather that she was weary.

"My next question...hmm." She mused quietly, leaning back and sinking further into the pillowy rest behind her. "There's so much I still want to ask, but I think my next query would have to be concerning your life before you joined the army. What was your average daily routine? What type of markets did you visit, what sort of friends did you have...that sort of thing. What did a young, sixteen year old pre-legion Roman do as part of everyday life? For me, I know at the age of sixteen I was attending school, going to watch movies and generally trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life." She smiled, thinking back to her earlier years of braces and obsessing over what the newest song on the radio was.

The girl stretched slowly, dragging in a breath through her nose quietly. The wine was delicious and the atmosphere soft, the sort of thing she had been needing for a while without even knowing it. Valerie rubbed her arms gently, trying to encourage blood flow to the areas where she had been thought when an idea popped into her mind. "Before you ask your next question, I have an idea I would like to propose. Since you have nothing to do tomorrow, how about I take you somewhere typical of these modern times? Or, even better, maybe even a few places? How did Roman's feel about art back in the day, or did you have anything resembling a zoo?" She realized the possibilities were almost endless, the female taking another sip of wine to wet her throat.

Her walls were softening, especially those she had built in her mind to keep her past at bay. The memories now were coming like a flood, especially each time she glanced back in Kaeso's direction. His face was becoming vaguely blurred, replaced with the face of someone else she had known...and loved. It was like she was talking once more the man she had lost, although she never lost complete thought of the fact that he was gone. The pang in her chest kept her fully aware that it was not him that was here, but the Roman soldier instead. She still enjoyed imagining though, finding some small comfort in her mind's ability to twist reality and bend it to suit her need to have him back, even for but a short while.

Back