The Centurion blinked somewhat when she did wake, his hand moving away in case she thought it was her captors and ended up reacting negatively to that too. She looked scared and he could not blame her. He would be too even if he was able to hide it beneath the mask of his rank and duty. Kaeso watched her wake with concern, his brow furrowed and he feared something was wrong in her. He hoped not. He would have no idea how to fix it other than to find some sort of physician. Her word's were not what he had entirely expected for the first things to be said and he reached to scratch his chin. His nails caught on several day's worth of growth. he cleared his throat as she continued with such an influx of questions and Kaeso made no protest when she took the syringe clearly knowing what it was and from what she said what was in it.

"We're not in the Shades, no..."
he replied feeling for all the world a little lost as to how to react and what to do but he knew once they had calmed down to think straight, he could find his feet again. He just had to think it through. He would have found her reactions funny if not for the experiences they had been through. He supposed there was a level of freedom again now. Hugo was not here with them and they weren't tied up. Kaeso's mood soured, if they ran into the wrong sort of people, that could change easily, Roman citizens or not.

Valerie seemed less than impressed with the change of clothes but he couldn't help with that. To wear what her people wore in his time would get them questioned, locked up and possibly end up with a worse off fate than that which they had been bestowed through the contents of the letters. He made sure she had enough time to change understanding well enough it wasn't exactly a private place and that she was also a lady, in more ways than one now. He made sure what he was wearing was in the right place, also taking one of the longer straps and tying it around his waist giving his tunic a less of a pillow case effect. For him however, it was more to simulate a sword-belt. He felt naked without his weapon and the thought made him scowl again. His armour was in Valerie's car! He would have to pay for a new set of armour all over again.

He rubbed his face after than realisation and sighed deeply. He supposed he would not need it for a little while to come but it was still frustrating. Kaeso watched her with the strange device and she did indeed seem to know what it was and what it did. Receive messages? That was not foreboding at all, he mused and he frowned as it went back into the satchel for safekeeping. They would have to keep that hidden away too.

Kaeso ensured he kept an eye on her and he could see she was fidgety and nervous, like a horse when it knew a predator was nearby. Skittishness was not something Kaeso valued but he had to remind himself that despite her great mind, she was far more intelligent than he was and he could readily admit that, she was still a woman and very much out of her comfort zone. "Yes... Thus the toga. It's not all a bad thing... We can find out what wealth and holdings you now own under this letter's decree," the fact they were lying to achieve that end did not sit well with him but if not for that then she could find herself in worse places. His world was a world he understood but he understood all too well how rough, dark and tough it was.

"You're a social class above me now, but not all high born folk are above us in mannerisms. Some are understanding,"
he nodded with a smile. He could name a few but one name that stood out for him was Vespasian. He was a man who had gained the love and respect of his men because his origins had come from the low classes. His father had been a Centurion under Pompey and through his career in later life and had ensure that his sons had prosperous futures. What's more, Vespasian had never seemed to forget his humble beginnings and was often seen fighting in the front lines just as much as he kept to the rear. Thus Kaeso learned not every one of the high classes was an arse to those beneath them. He saw little need for Valerie to have to act like them but she would need to remember it.

His head ducked as soon as she spoke of her life being in his hands and he understood that all too well. Even with the hidden meanings in the words of the letter, he had a sworn duty to protect Rome and all her citizens. Valerie, inserted or not, now counted amongst that number and he was dutifully obliged to her both as a Centurion and as a friend. Kaeso lifted his head and found her struggling with the placing of her toga. He had to try and hold back his grin of amusement and cleared his throat as she blushed with what he assumed to be embarrassment. He rose and stepped closer to her, "Here... let me."

Kaeso reached and helped her with her toga, adjusting it so she could move her arms without restriction and so that it sat right upon her shoulder and around her body. "There, almost Roman," he smiled softly at her as his hands rested on her arms. One look and he knew that if she were indeed a horse, she was close to bolting there and then. For a moment he struggled on thinking how to phrase what he wanted to say without shouting her face down like he would a legionary, "Look at me,"

"We're in this together. You've taken care of me in your time. I'll take care of you in mine. I won't leave you or abandon you, not if I can help it. Close your eyes and take a deep breath, let it out slowly and open your eyes again,"

He waited patiently for her to do so before he nodded, "We'll head into the city... I'll have to find the Legion administration office at some point but we'll head for the Forum... There's sure to be people there that know the family you're now the daughter of. See if this man has a house in the city where we can stay."

Kaeso would have preferred that. To find a tenement of decent standing would cost him quite a bit of coin and though he would keep his word and promise to her, he didn't want to eat too much into his savings or gratuity. He stooped to close the satchel and he looped it over his head, resting its strap in his shoulder. He looked back to her, "I'm ready when you are." He spoke gently, his tone letting her know that he was happy for her to decide when to leave or not. He glanced over the hedgerow and saw that they were near the Appian Way. He looked back to her, letting her have a moment to process.

He helped her out, the girl standing with a cloth piece in each hand as he rose to help her. She felt relief when he took over on helping drape the complex piece of material which was somehow being more difficult than some of the projects she had done with Shane. Valerie remained still, allowing him to finish up. His compliment about how Roman she looked was intended to calm her down, make her feel better about her appearance she assumed, but for some reason it only managed to make the blush deepen. She swallowed back the lump making a wedge in her throat, the girl suddenly acutely aware of his hands on her arms.

His fingers were calloused. Rough, from his long period of time spent here, in Rome, despite the few days of luxury he had spent with her. The roughness was were comforting, somehow. Rough hands from figuring out how to survive in a rough world. Take it minute by minute Valerie, at least you have someone to guide your around. His palms were warm too. Not in the same way the air around them shimmered with heat, but a more subdued version. It reminded her that despite the strange circumstances they were in, he was alive and so was she. She gravitated toward the reassuring touch, trying to centre herself and find some balance in the chaos of her mind. He spoke, asking her to look at him. She did just that, moving her gaze up from where she had been focusing on her feet.

His words only cemented what he had done for her from the moment he offered to help with the toga. What he was saying held weight and merit and Valerie somehow knew that the words came from a place of sincerity. He wouldn't leave her here. Kaeso was a man of his word and he intended to not let this strange new world devour her whole. The arm where he had laid his hand on her bicep bent, her hand reaching up to rest on his arm in a similar manner his rested on hers. Without letting herself think too much about it, she suddenly hugged him. Her words were slightly muffled by his tunic as she said, "I appreciate that Kaeso. I really do. I'm sorry that you're going to be burdened with my presence here, it isn't fair on you after everything you've already dealt with." Her eyes shut as he had said to do, a breath going in slowly through her nostrils before exiting out her mouth. When she opened her eyes again, she released him, looking sheepishly at he ground before looking up at him with an uncertain smile.

He suggested heading to the forum first. Valerie nodded her head, agreeing with his line of thinking. "That sounds like the right think to do. I just hope no one asks me any questions that I can't answer. I'm ready to go now, we can discuss more along the way." She was sad to be leaving the slight shade the hedgerow offered. It was more than that though. This place stood for a sort of safe ground, one which only her and Kaeso existed in. Once they headed out onto the road, that's when the real struggle began. "I think you may need to refresh my memory a bit...I'll ask a few questions, just to cover the things I don't quite remember being covered when I learned Latin."

Something suddenly flickered in her mind, the girl running her fingers through her hair as they walked. She was braiding the strands, mimicking a picture she had seen once in a textbook. I need to look as authentic as possible. Perhaps then my appearance alone will be enough to deceive people even if I blunder on speaking. She asked her first question as she finished up the braid, using a small metal pin she had found attached to the toga to keep it in place. "When you say I am a high status, how high are we talking? What sort of rights do I have from it?" She knew this wasn't the 21st century. As a woman, she might be nothing more than dirt to some of the men here and she would have to become accustomed to that.

Despite her best efforts, the wind tugged at what she had done with her hair, pulling away small curls that framed her face. She looked up to Kaeso, a thought striking her as she waited for his answer. "You look more at peace here. Like you belong in this landscape. I mean, obviously it's because you do, but I didn't think I would get to see it. It's like seeing a lion in a zoo versus seeing it in it's natural state." She made reference to something she knew he would remember from the time back in her present, the memory tugging a little at her gut.

It felt strange helped someone get attired properly since it wasn't a usual part of his daily routine but he found himself happy to do so for her. She would be lost in this time without his company, and without his military like presence, she would be vulnerable to people seeking opportunities. Last thing he wanted for her was to fall foul of slavers. He did not much like that prospect at all. Kaeso glanced at her and saw she was still blushing about something or other and he wasn't too sure why that was.

Kaeso looked her over once more, making sure that there was nothing that would mark her out from a crowd. They didn't want to attract undue attention. Not until they could establish their story at least. He gave a final nod of satisfaction and peered back to her.

The Centurion stiffened slightly in her embrace before he relaxed in her hold of him. He was not used to such bodily contact but he did not find any kind of distaste for it and nor did he stop her from doing so. With a loss as to what to do with his own arms, he hugged her back loosely in return, hands resting their palms flat against her back. He bent his head a little as she spoke and he smiled a little. She was never a burden to him, he could not consider her as such.

"I'm a Centurion of Rome,"
he began softly, "I'm used to having to deal with things thrown in my direction and reacting to them, but you're a burden I am willing to bear. I am honoured to have met you Valerie, and proud to call you friend,"

They soon parted and he adjusted the strap on his shoulder, "Depends on who asks, but I think you can defer to me for most of them. At least for the first few days," he replied. Kaeso did not know how well known her supposed family in this time was. Equally, he was not aware of what social circles the deceased father's daughter had surrounded herself in. He knew that would just have to be something they would eventually learn when they got to Rome and got themselves settled. As he looked at her, he realised Valerie looked as uncertain as he was feeling, but they both knew they would find no answers sitting for them here next to a hedgerow of laurels.

Kaeso nodded and turned before he waited for her a moment so that she could join his side before leading the leading the way to Rome. He backtracked his route to the dirt road that would eventually get easy going for them. Ahead of them lay the Appian Way which would eventually lead them to a city gate where he hoped the boys stationed there would recognise his authority as a Centurion. He would have to cross that bridge when they got there however.

He nodded, "Ask anything you like," he agreed without complaint or protest. It was a completely fair turnaround for them both. He glanced at her as they walked along the side of the dirt road as he didn't want them to get run over by other commuters. She was doing her hair and he thought that she looked rather pretty when she was done. He did not what was in fashion amongst the other women of Rome but that did not matter at all to him.

"According to our... 'friend', your supposed father was well known. It implies you are high enough to be worthy of leveraging Rome to withdraw her legions. Or at least considered to be such by our enemies. Something, however, that Rome would never consider," he paused before continuing, wanting to let it all sink in.

"It's basically aristocracy. Your 'family', your newly adopted one that is, would have had a consulship at one stage, your father may even have been a Consul of Rome when he was killed. You are now a woman of wealth and status. So consequently, you'll now have holdings... or should have holdings in their name, your name, in the city or in some other Roman province."

"Those that are under you, such as myself, should react to you keeping that respect, that deference in mind. You're not royalty, but a lady of your standing would normally be appalled or offended of anyone not respecting your status. Say if I was rude to you or didn't acknowledge it... it'd be like a ranker giving me lip. Not only does he insult me but he insults my rank and the organisation behind it. If that makes any sense to you?"

The walk was not set at a slow pace but he was used to walking so much more quickly as a soldier and it took a moment to remember that he should keep to her pace even as he lead the way. Kaeso looked at her and blinked a moment before he smiled, "It's not Misenum, but ah, it's Rome... My people, my world."

"Well, only lions in Italia would still be captive ones... Caught for the arena,"
but he smiled nonetheless as he recalled their trip to the Zoo. It was a pleasant memory even with the interruptions and the sour end to the day. "It's one thing seeing something in a cage, I suppose, as opposed to living its present...?"

"I get the feeling not just from what I've learned over the years but especially after conversing with you, that Rome is quite proud about it's military prowess. She gives up for nought and frowns at the mention of surrender or mercy. I would almost want to say that Rome is cold-hearted...but that would be untrue considering that I don't find you like that. Dutiful and loyal perhaps are better words to describe it." She listened carefully to some of the answers he gave her the girl's brows furrowing as she tried to focus on drinking in the information.

"A consul. That sounds important from what my dusty memories are giving me. If I have holdings, then can I share them with you, or is that not allowed? At the very least, can I make my holdings accessible to you whenever you want...I don't think I'm going to even know how to manage something like that. I hope you know that if no one else is around, I don't want you treating me or talking to me any differently. I won't be able to stand that and I'll snap if I won't be able to converse with you as a friend. You can goad me on my terrible Latin pronunciation in private and we can keep up the charade of ranks and so forth in public. " It sounded like a complicated business, trying to take her status, Kaeso's rank and her position as a female into account when judging what could and could not be done. Most importantly though, she had mean't what she said about needing to talk to Kaeso as a friend. In her time, you treated everyone pretty much the same unless they were downright aggressive or rude towards you.

"All this talk of 'their' name and 'my name' is going to give me a headache. What was the families name, anyhow and do I still go by my own first name? I don't remember what is was in the letter. Did you recognize the symbol in the ring maybe?" She was going to have to learn who she was and fast, adding to that "...do you know anything about them as well, anything at all that you can remember in the time you spent here?" She was practically on the verge of a jog beside him, the girl thankful when he slowed down his gait to take her shorter stride into account. The city gates were looming ahead of them, the noise of the city growing louder the closer they got.

They soon stepped into the shadow cast by the city wall, the girl gulping quietly as she looked up at the ominous structure. To keep people in or keep others out I wonder? The sight of guards ahead made her uneasy, the girl's hands unconsciously curling at her sides. Her green eyes flicked in Kaeso's direction, Valerie suppressing the need to tug at her toga in order to make sure it was in the right place.

Kaeso beamed to a large extent. Rome did care about its prowess and how the rest of the world valued or saw their might. Many countries had nodded their heads to Rome seeing the machine it was. Others had tried and failed to break the back of the Legions. Only one had succeeded with any sort of merit Kaeso was willing to give and that was Parthia. Parthia had proved time and time again that it could hound the Legions and prove they were not as all powerful as Romans would like to think. One of the Triumvirate, Marcus Crassus, a man of notable wealth but who had been denied his military victory against Spartacus by Pompey, had decided to invade Parthia and as a result it had turned into a massive defeat for the man. Not only had he lost his legion in Carrhae, he lost his life. If Kaeso remembered rightly, the man had suffered having molten gold down his throat, dying for the wealth he was known for.

However, over all, he'd liked to think they were a force to be considered and reckoned with. "Defeat is not a word that sits comfortable with us," he would admit to that, defeat was not an easy salve on any man's career "For a man of status such as a General or Senator... a defeat can be costly to one's career, even their life and it's oft seen as an insult to Rome's provenance... So it's not something anyone takes lying down."

"They're magistrates, often having a lean on what happens in the Senate. It used be more of an important role when Rome was a Republic but that's not something I think will ever return to pass. They used to be backed by the army so under the republic, it did used to be one of the highest roles of office you could reach," he explained. It did not matter to him which Rome fell under these days. He had no political designs on Rome's future and less knowing it would eventually crumble and fall to ruin and memory surviving only in artefact and technology.

Kaeso looked at her with a serious face before it softened and he gave her a smile, "If this goes to plan... those holdings will belong to you now, Valerie. You are the domina of the house. It's entirely up to you who can stay there or not." He gave her a boyish grin and his arm went around her shoulders, giving her a light hug around them, "I shall equally appreciate talking with you on the same ground. I am proud to call you friend," he nodded, his voice genuine and spoken with feelings. She had been a rock for him in an otherwise unsteady environment and he knew he would provide that now for her here too. They were both people who understood what no other could.

He frowned a moment before he retrieved the letters, checking through for a name before he eventually found the seal of the house of the man who had written the letter. He also then retrieved the signet ring and into the top was 'VC' carved into it with what looked like a bird in the background. "I don't know the family but I've heard of the name. Corvinus is the family name," he replied studying the letter more intense before he finally was able to read the signature at the bottom where the letter had been a little crumpled. "Gaius Valerius Corvinus, more specifically. I don't know him personally, just heard of his name. I've spent many years being on the front-lines away from Rome and her politics. He must be a favourite of the Emperor, or someone he knows well, if an attempt of a rescue has been sanctioned..."

Kaeso returned the ring and letter to the safety of the satchel again, "Well, you're fortunate you share the name. First born daughters are given their father's name as it is with boys. It continues the name's legacy in many respects,"

It was not long before the city gates loomed above them cutting an impressive but simple structure. "It's all right to look anxious... you've been through a traumatic experience for any Roman woman to go through," he breathed as they walked, "They should let us through. Normally, we'd have to pay a tax to go through but soldiers of Rome are exempt from this and hopefully with our cover story, they'll let you through as well,"

After a while, they drew near the gate and one guardsman rose from a seat hidden away in the inset of the wall. It was quite well set up and there had rarely been an issue, "Halt! Status your business." The tone was that of someone who had been there most of the day and was incredibly bored with the position. Kaeso frowned before he cleared his throat.

"I am on a confidential mission to return the lady here to her family home in the city,"
he produced the letter that came with the orders and the guardsman looked it over.

"Uh huh..."
Kaeso saw the total lack of interest, "Well, you'll still have to pay the toll, sir."
"I don't think so, lad. I am Centurion Kaeso Quintus Marcellus of the Second Legion Augusta. I can see you recognise the legion lad so don't go making up stories now."

The man looked Marcellus over and sniffed blandly, "How am I supposed to know the truth of that. You could be anyone using that rank,"
"You'll stand to fucking attention when you address me, guardsman!" Kaeso hadn't shouted but his tone barked out the command with a total familiarity of one used to bawling in men's faces. It soon turned the guardsman's spine straight as he stood to attention in reaction. "There, better. Now, you can check with administration easily enough, my name's in the records and you've read this letter written by Corvinus. This is his last surviving daughter and she's been through enough hell as it is from the hands of barbaric natives. So, you going to play nice and let us through or what?"

The guardsman glanced at Valerie before he swallowed and then stepped aside as he handed the letters back, "All's accounted for, sir! Welcome back to Rome, my lady." The man bowed his head to Valerie and Kaeso nodded.

"Thank you, guardsman. Look me up, I'll stand you a drink,"

The prospect of being bought a drink by a Centurion of Vespasian's beloved Legion seemed to improve the man's mood and he smiled back, "Yes sir! Thank you, sir!"

Kaeso nodded before he lead Valerie through the gate and waited till they were quite a way through before he muttered, "Rome's getting lax whilst I've been away, it seems."

Last edited:
They approached the gate, Valerie's nerves rising as the guardsmen approached. She gulped, trying to squelch her need to sprint in the opposite direction as the glint of the guardsman's blade caught her attention. Imagine being run through with something like that. Swords are so different to guns, so much more personal in the death they hand out. She felt fidgety and nervous, running through the worst case scenarios in her head of what might happen if this went south. The guardsman's voice shouted out a command, the female planting her feet firmly in place as she had been instructed. Can I move? Do I stand with my arms crossed or at my side? She was suddenly acutely aware of all of her actions, her breathing even sounding too loud in her mind. Valerie tugged on her braid, nervously brushing the strands hanging in her face behind her ear.

Kaeso spoke to the man, good thing too since Valerie's mouth had become as dry as a desert. As soon as the guard began questioning the Centurion beside her, the girl could physically sense the way Kaeso's muscles tightened and his frame was lifted to one that spoke of authority. You shouldn't have questioned him... Valerie thought smugly, biting the inside of her lip to keep from smiling. Kaeso's voice though, filled with gusto and commanding the repsect worthy of his rank made her flinch though, since the girl had never heard him speak to anyone like that before. Then again, you've never been in his presence when he has had someone in a rank below him question his authority... She said to herself, calming down quickly and adjusting back to normal.

The guardsmen let them through, mumbling his apologies before suddenly lifting in spirits at the mention of a drink. Her ears perked up at the title he gave her, Valerie lifting her head only then when she had been looking down for most of the exchange. My lady? I guess that's me now. He inclined his head in her direction, Valerie giving a small return nod without thinking too much about it. She hoped it was the correct response, making a note to ask Kaeso about it once they were out of earshot again. He spoke first, Val leaning her head in closer so he didn't have to speak too loudly. "It would appear so. Good thing you're back so that you can get it back into shape. By the way, when people address me like that....'my lady'...what do I do? Ignore them, greet them back? What title would I have given him? I remained quiet because I didn't want to say the wrong thing."

The sights around her were beginning to get more unusual, the life of Rome unfolding before her eyes the deeper they walked into the city. Woman huddled in groups, laughing and talking as they occasionally stopped by some stalls set up on the sides of the streets. Carts and wagons wove their way in between the crowds, the sound of their rickety wheels smacking on the stone road echoing down passages in between the buildings. Valerie craned her head back, trying to see to the very top of some of the tall marble columns holding up grand carved arches. Looking up, she spotted someone standing on the edge of the balcony with a bucket, having just enough time to jump out of the way before the person above emptied the dirty bucket from the water to the streets below.

Kaeso was used to having to remind people at the city gates of his authority and he had to remember that he was not in uniform. The fact his tunic was of the right colour for military wear meant nothing for it lacked the stamp of his office. To the guardsman, he could have been everyone but not everyone could speak like a Centurion learned how to. The offer of a drink had been a nod to the unfairness on the man on Kaeso's part and was aimed to smooth out any feelings of animosity. He did not need the man to like him but Kaeso acknowledged that his men were beings with their own needs, flaws and desires.

He made sure Valerie stayed close to him and that the satchel his was carrying was securely fastened, pulling it in front of him slightly to better keep an eye on it. Kaeso was aware that not everyone in the city was not as innocent or as honourable as Valerie or himself. He didn't want anything bad to happen to either of them.

Kaeso glanced at her as they negotiated through the crowd. There were all sort of people around as he lead the way through the Roman streets. There were all sorts of people walking through the city; slaves, a few soldiers, other nobilitas, and merchants amongst others. It was not hard for Kaeso to lead her through the streets towards the Roman Forum where administrative offices were held.

Kaeso smiled, "Too bad he belongs to the Urban Cohorts. Ranks stills apply, but I can't poke my nose too far into sorting them out," he explained gently before he glanced at her. "Well, depends on who it is... For the most part, small talk or a smile or nod of acknowledgement is usually enough. If you're dealing with someone you know has rank, you can refer to the rank. If you know their name, you can use that..."

"As for slaves... some nobilitas ignore them altogether whilst other acknowledge their presence, treating them more as friends than property," he winced, knowing that slavery had been ended in her time but for Rome it was a distinct part of the economy. For Rome in her current time to outlaw slavery would kill her outright. He knew or rather understood she might not find that a savoury thing to swallow.

The Centurion looked at her sudden movement before the splash of a liquid made him realise what happened. He smiled, "Nice dodge," he breathed knowing how easy it was to get caught out. Kaeso lead the way down a few more streets before the roads began to widen and become much grander in their appearance. Within the bustling crowds, statues of soldiers riding prancing horses and other effigies of people stood on mounted platforms, the buildings were white with red or ochre decoration. They came to to a grand square before he paused to collect his bearings and the lead her towards the administration offices.

"Ah, here we are... finally. Could use a week's sleep after this, I think," he said to her feeling she would probably appreciate somewhere to sleep and have some time to herself without prying eyes. He sighed slightly when they got there and found a bustling queue of people waiting in line for their matters to be dealt with. He chose the shortest line and smiled, "Guess some things remain a constant, hm?"

Valerie was vaguely flustered after the near incident of having dirty water thrown all over her. "No such thing as a laundry machine. I think I have some serious adapting to do for this time. I don't think I had come even close to wrapping my head around just how different living in this sort of time was. Now I'll have to learn and experience it first hand."

His mention of slavery brought a somber disposition about her. She frowned, the corners of her mouth turning down ever so slightly. She tried to think of how to ask the question she wanted, but without finding any way to phrase it nicely, she just said whatever came to mind. "The slavery...where do the slaves come from? Will there be any at the household I am now...what did you call it?...the dom-in-o of?" She said the word wrong, but continued on anyway. "If I have any, can I not just let them go? Is there any laws preventing me from just outright freeing them?" The thought of her being in possession of someone, making them an object under ownership instead of a person, didn't sit well with her. In her time, they had been brought up to learn about the abhorrent nature of slavery. They were told to learn from the past...unfortunately, that is now exactly where they found themselves.

Somehow, the street scene around her became more splendid and grand, Valerie sometimes halting in her steps a little too long to stare at the statues. They were real and white as snow, her mind flickering back to the only other ones she had seen like them in the art gallery. These were not yellowing or on the verge of crumbling into ruin. These were new and held back none of the grandeur that was taken from the statues which had been on display in her time. "I don't think I'm ever going to get used to seeing these." Valerie said quietly, standing still for a little too long in the bustling crowd and almost getting knocked over by other people. She scurried to catch up with Kaeso, holding on to the sleeve of his tunic to try and keep from getting separated again.

They soon arrived in at the administration offices, the girl running through all the information in her head as they approached. You were apprehended by Britons...no...barbarians, that's that the Roman's called them. Your father and mother...who you're not related to and have never met...were killed during the rescue mission to get you back. Your family name is Valerie Corvinus. You are a lady of some merit. Keep the story simple and the details general and then no one who even might know them can poke holes in what you're saying. She entered into the building with her chin lifted and a frown suitable to the story of what had happened to her plastered on. It wasn't too hard, considering she was nervous as all hell to be there in the first place.

She was not wrong in her estimation and there was plenty more that he was worrying himself about. It was one thing to read about history. he knew it must be something else to walk and breathe in the history you read about. He didn't know what a laundry machine was but he guess it was one of the everyday gadgets she was used that would be completely new to him. "I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll pick it up and learn easily enough." He knew she would not be likely in need of doing her own laundry or cooking from now on. The mundane tasks would be taken care of.

Kaeso knew the slavery would be something she would find troubling and he did not fancy being in her position. He hoped to never become in such a position himself. He looked at her as she spoke and considered his words. "Slaves herald from all over. Most coming from the lands we're fighting in or have conquered... Captured prisoners of war... That is their fate. Others vary, some can be those who have fallen foul of the law or those who were unable to repay their debts to lenders. It's a lender's right should their client find themselves unable to pay. Sometimes, though rarely, some choose to enslave themselves for varying reasons. The most common one is where they agree to be enslaved at a Ludus. Er, a gladiatorial training school and they can fight in the arena to earn money," he explained as calmly and as gently as he could knowing it would not sit well with her but he was not going to lie to her. He trusted her and he was not going to betray her. That much of himself he knew. "Yes, your household will have several, all tasked with varying jobs about the house that are required of them. "Domina," he gently corrected before he lowered his voice so that they couldn't be overheard too clearly, "You can... but it would make people question your motives... and it could jeopardise the story of your 'return'."

"I know slavery isn't... condoned in your time but here, Rome would crumble and fall without their labour. You don't have to treat them unfairly, and they still earn a living from either their masters or other avenues. I've known some who are happy with their living conditions so much that the idea of buying their freedom doesn't come into their minds. It's a roof over their heads and they get fed and watered. There are people in this city that don't have that for themselves despite having their freedom. Some have been slaves all their lives that the idea of freedom is scary and new and not worth their time."

"To get rid of them entirely... it wouldn't just be Rome to suffer from it,"
he said softly, "It's entirely up to you, my lady... but I would keep them."

With so many people about, he deferred to her higher status over himself. He was but a soldier, a simple Centurion with a simple task of returning her home from savage natives. They fell into line and he listened absently as requests were made of the clerks at the holes in the stone wall and after a while, it was soon their turn. Kaeso regarded the clerk for a moment before he reached for his satchel and produced his orders and the letter. The clerk was an older gentleman, one who seemed to be in his late sixties and he peered at the Centurion and the lady at the man's side.

"And what can I help you with today, hm? Oh, what's that... let's see now,"
he crooned, slightly shaky hands reaching for the papers that Kaeso held out to him. The clerk read through them quite quickly before he blinked, lowered it to peer at Valerie studiously before rereading the whole thing as if to reassure himself of what he had read through a moment ago.

"Rescued from those savages. You are most fortunate, my lady. Most fortunate indeed. I take it you were unable to save Corvinus and his wife, Julia?
" The old man peered at Kaeso at this point.
"Regrettably so. They had been killed before I could reach them."
"Hm.. hm... His eminence will be sorry to hear that, I'm sure. I hear they were well acquainted and Corvinus a good favourite."

"Tullius... Are you ear wagging again?
" the voice was smooth like silk and belonged to a much younger man who appeared next to the clerk.
"Tsk, certainly not!" The clerk gave a gesture at Kaeso to wait a moment before he spoke to the man a little out of earshot after moving from the wall. Kaeso glanced at Valerie a moment to see how she was coping. He offered her what he hoped was a reassuring smile. He looked back just as the old man returned.

"A good thing you came here. The Emperor shall be informed. Though, I expect you wish to return to your home and get some valued rest, eh? Must have gone through much getting here, do you remember the way there?"

Kaeso wanted to interject and speak for her but the question had been directed at her and it would appear odd to speak out.

Kaeso answered her question while they were waiting, the female not altogether happy with the answer but she knew that it wasn't Kaeso's fault. He was simply giving her the facts. It was not as if he himself had perpetuated the entire slavery system single-handed. It was juts something he had grown up with and had never been able to question.

"If they come from all over...I hope they speak Latin. I won't be able to communicate with them otherwise. I don't want anything I say to be misinterpreted." She crossed her arms over her chest, rubbing at the goosebumps on her forearms that had risen there with the uncomfortable conversation. "Domina, okay I'll need to remember that..." she chided herself at having gotten the word wrong. You need to pay attention. Getting terminology wrong could be the end of you. "If you suggest not letting them go then I guess I have no choice. I trust your judgement. I understand what you're saying though, freedom must seem like a scary and foreboding thing when you've lived under the rule of another for most of your life. I'll treat whoever is in my household with as much dignity as I can and make sure their lives are as fulfilled as possible. It's the least I can do."

She waited patiently in line with Kaeso, biting on her lower lip and bouncing nervously from one foot to the other. They eventually approached the front of the line though, Valerie's heart picking up speed. What if my accent is not enough? What if I sound like some foreigner and then they take Kaeso and I away. Do they still feed people to lions in this emperor's time? Or will they prefer crucifixion like in the early years during the war against Spartacus? Kaeso said that the empire is still fraught with slavery, what if I end up needing to stand on that auction block myself? Or...what if I get Kaeso killed and I'm spared, I'll have to live with that for the rest of my days...

All these thoughts were rushing through her brain, the girl suddenly realizing that they were next. Kaeso did most of the talking and the clerk seemed friendly enough. It gave Valerie time to calm down. Then he asked her a direct question and she suddenly felt like a fish in a barrel with a shotgun aimed right at it. "I...um...I've been away for some time. Rome has changed somewhat since my capture. I think the Centurion might know the way though. I would like to head there soon though, it's been a long journey" She handed over the responsibility of response back to Kaeso, looking at him with wide eyes.

"Most should be able to communicate with you," he replied, nodding lightly. He was tapping a forefinger against his thigh. He wasn't used to having to wait, often being able to shout in order to hurry things along but here that would only get them thrown out. He had to be patient.

"It's just how it is," he responded in a tone that equally suggested he sympathised with her position. It could not have been easy to have to deal and accept something a more modern society had outlawed. For him, it was an everyday norm and he couldn't really remember being mean to any that he knew. The Greek slave his father had bought to educate him was someone of whom he had become great friends with. The man was dead now but Kaeso found he still missed the old man's good humour and patience. He'd like to think that whatever patience he had in himself he had gleaned off of the man.

"I'm sure they'll come to like and respect you, my lady. I certainly have,"
he smiled at her, the expression completely honest and genuine if a little bashful.

The old clerk blinked a moment before he nodded furtively, "Of course, of course, must have been most traumatic. Those savages..."

"I think Lady Corvinus would appreciate being able to freshen herself up sooner than later, my friend. If you could give me the details, I'm certain I can find the place," Kaeso said as calmly as he could muster. The old man looked at him before he nodded and pulled a multitude of papers towards himself before he offered Kaeso a fair few.

"Here you are... I've taken a liberty to include the list of contents, current available funds and etc,"
he said. The sensitive papers were scrolled up whilst another was flat with the address of the Corvinus. "I hope you settle back into civilisation soon, my lady. Is that everything?"

"Yes... I believe so..."
"All right," he said dismissively before shouting a wheezy, '"Next!"

Kaeso peered at the Clerk before he gently steered Valerie out of the way and out of the line. He lead the way to a clear spot where they could breathe and gain some fresh air. He slid the scroll of parchment into the satchel before looking at the piece of parchment with the details written in a very elaborate script. "Hm... On the Caelian Hill. It's a bit of a walk... You up for that?" he asked, looking back to her with a gentle smile.

He would have spoken once more if not for a presence off to one side. He frowned as he felt it and looked that way. A roman woman stood near them seeming to take an interest in Valerie. A slave waving a fan made of ostrich feathers standing behind her though Kaeso noticed he wasn't doing much fanning. Not that there was much need to. He guessed the woman had been out in the city for a time.

"My lady?" he inquired at her, inclining his head with due respect of her higher station. The woman barely acknowledged him before she blinked and then spoke.

"Forgive me... but you remind me of someone I know..." she began. Kaeso shifted his weight uneasy of a stranger coming up to them so soon.

"Hm, wait... the daughter of Valerius Corvinus, you have have his eyes and his cheekbones... I heard his family had disappeared..." she finished, signaling to her slave that he could stop fanning her completely with a slight hand movement.

The clerk was finishing up and doing so quite quickly. If I can convince one person, then that gives me hope that I can convince others as well. She thought with relief, cracking a small smile as the older man slid a flattened piece of paper towards them. The rolled up ones were a curiosity to her, the girl wanting to unroll them right then and there to take a look at just what was going to happen with her 'family's' belongings.

Although Kaeso had said very little about what funds he had, she figured that he was used to only needing to financially support one person. Thus, the more funds she could have to take some of that pressure off with her sudden arrival here, the better.

They were dismissed, Valerie unable to help but smile as they left the building and headed towards whatever her new home would be. She looked forward to being able to rest and find a space where she could come to terms with what life had thrown at her. With all the commotion and need to move, she knew it might only catch up to her later just how drastic the situation was. This was quite literally a different world to the one she had known and now she needed to drink in as much information as possible in order to survive within it.

"I don't mind the last bit of a walk. Caelian Hill...it sounds like it might have a view, which is a gift. It will give us time to talk and for me to do some sight seeing. Thanks for helping to get my estate sorted out." Valerie said quietly to Kaeso.

Kaeso's demeanor suddenly shifted. It was strange, but Valerie had come to be able to read him well enough to know when something was making him uneasy. She followed his line of sight as he turned to look at the Roman woman, the female looking as if she had stepped off of a mural. Her skin was dark and olive-toned, with dark brown hair to match that had been curled and style with pieces of fabric intricately. Her toga was pristine and a rich blue colour, earrings of gold and pearl glinting from her ears as she approached. The slave that followed them seemed curious too, Valerie looking them both up and down before the other female spoke. Kaeso spoke first, the way the woman mostly brushing him off immediately setting Valerie on edge.

He shifted uneasily beside her, Valerie doing her best to not falter under the woman's inspection of her. She spoke to her, bypassing Kaeso's intial inquiry. It made Valerie's stomach tighten, seeing the way she dismissed him. Val straightened her shoulders, trying to look more in control than what she felt.

"You have a good eye. I am indeed Valerius' oldest daughter. The last surviving heir actually. My father and mother were killed back in Brittania, I only just returned home. If it hadn't been for Centurion Kaeso Quintas Marcellus here, I may not have returned at all. It's been quite a journey."

It was important to her to make Kaeso the hero of her short explanation, feeling that some recognition of the role he had played in getting her here would uplift the way the woman regarded him. She also hinted at her need for a short conversation in the last sentence, Valerie wishing she could somehow take Kaeso by the hand and bolt all the way to wherever she now lived. She remained patient though, trying to calm herself so that she was as inconspicuous in behaviour as possible.

It was a good thing she was. It was a fair way from where they were now and he knew by the time they got there that was a fair chance they would both be tired out from it. He had not been in the routine of marching, drills or anything that had required serious working out aside from the tests Shane had enforced upon him back in her time. Yet he knew there would be much to get done before they could rest. He had no idea how well her slaves would react to her.

When the woman approached them, he was uneasy and unsettled, his mind viewing everything with a threat levels in regards to their situation. Her time was one thing and it seemed human behaviours rarely changed but her time appeared to have more rules. Here, whilst there were rules in play, it was a lot less governed, a lot less lawless.

His spine straightened not because of any military authority the woman had but due to her higher status. This was Rome and he had a lot less office here right now than out in the field. He regarded the slave too but the man seemed quiet, eyes staring ahead but the Centurion was trained enough to know the man was viewing his surroundings with a careful eyes. Kaeso reasoned than not only was he tasked with keeping her cool but also acted as her bodyguard. The man's physique certainly indicated he wasn't someone with no idea how to defend or attack.

He kept silent as the woman spoke and glanced as Valerie replied. He felt the unease return, not comfortable with praise or elevation. He did the job because it was duty. He didn't go looking for attention or reward for what he did. He knew however that according to Hugo's letter it was apparently important for them to get the word out of their return and the manner of them.

Kaeso inclined his head slightly as the woman raised her brow, "Oh, that's terrible, darling. I'm sorry to hear about that. Your father... he was a good man." The woman turned her attention on him and offered a smile before her hand moved and touched his arm.

"A good soldier and a good man. A rare quality. I trust you are taking her home, Centurion?"
"Yes, my lady. My orders were to see her home. I will make sure Lady Corvinus reaches it,"
"Good man. I shall not keep you. I shall have to see if I can drop by at some point. Good evening to you both," she then smiled and looked back to Valerie, giving her a smile too before she turned. The slave paused before he followed her.

Kaeso watched them and rubbed a hand at the nape of his neck before he looked to Valerie. "Let's... get going. It'll get cold before long." He nodded, they didn't really want to get caught out and it would be something a good lady of her class would rarely do. He turned and began to lead the way to the Caelian hill. He kept to a pace she could keep to and walk alongside.

"How you coping?"
he asked, eyes watching their surroundings, aware that anything could happen.

Valerie was glad to see the woman go, not enjoying the lingering eyes of her slave as he too followed behind her. There had been something about the way she had touched his arm and the way her servant had looked them both up and down. It made her uncomfortable. Luckily though that was now over and she could focus her attention instead on getting to whatever 'home' had been left to her. "Yes, lets." She said frankly in response to Kaeso, following the direction he went in. It was not long before he spoke up again though, the girl shrugging and taking a moment to think before answering.

"As well as I can be. I'm just happy to have lasted at least half a day without getting you or myself killed. I'm still worried that I might say or do something that makes cursory people look our way, but I'll take each day as it comes." The Caelian Hill was well named, the slope of the road they walked on gradually growing steeper as they made their way uphill. The buildings and cluster of the streets began to thin out as they headed out of the main streets of Roman, the activity of people also decreasing not just because they were getting further from the business centres but also because the afternoon was beginning to stretch into the earliest hours of evening. "I'm thankful you've gotten me this far...although I fear that your importance in keeping me alive isn't over yet and won't be for some time. At least until I can get myself solidly on my own two feet."

They were beginning to near the top of the hill, the girl seeing the outline of a typical Italian villa beginning to form a silhouette in the distance. White walls and orange-hued terracota roof tiles were broken up by the foliage of olive trees and creeping bougainvillea plants, the dusty road beginning to settle with the coolness of the evening. The estate was not as impressive as some of the other, more elite buildings, but it was definitely grander than that of a simple working-class family. The gardens around the home had clearly been cared for, hedges trimmed and flowers blooming in pots hanging from the walls. As they approached, Valerie could hear water gently sputtering from several fountains sculpted in the forms of various Gods or heroes of legend. She tried to scan it all with the wonder it was due, without coming across as the complete stranger to this estate that she was.

"Are you sure this is the address?" Valerie asked in a hushed tone, the figure of a young man and older woman sweeping the porch in front of what she assumed to be the entry way making her stop suddenly. "What do I say to them? What if they figure out this is all a farce and I get you into serious shit?" The words slipped out, Valerie forgetting for a moment that she was supposed to be acting like an affluent lady.

He could feel his fatigue creeping into his mind, a need for rest and sleep pulling at his temples but he willed himself to remain alert as they walked the streets of Rome. At least he was good at that. Falling asleep on sentry duty was a serious offence and the punishment was death. He blinked a few times and his eyes widened before he felt a little better. The woman and her slave troubled him and wondered just how close Valerie really did look like the original daughter. He was worried that the original's social circle would see through the deception. Especially if Valerie couldn't keep up the facade of being someone she wasn't. If Fortuna was on their side, then all would go well. He was still concerned with how he was supposed to go through with this favour in keeping Hugo's ancestor alive.

Kaeso smiled and nodded appreciatively with agreement. It felt good to be back in his own time, one he understood and that they were both alive still. The hill grew and he leaned into the incline of the hill as they continued. He listened with his usual patience and enjoyed her company. They had both gained common ground and he had learned to trust her just as well if not more so than the men he usually commanded or served under. She would be honest with him and that was something that money could not always buy.

"I think you won't be rid of me for a while yet. Especially with what the letter implies," he replied, nodding with agreement with her words. "There's much to worry about, much left unsaid or hidden away," he was concerned about a lot of things and he was sure he was fretting over a lot more than she was considering. It felt a little like he was trying to guide a scared lamb into a den of wolves.

It was not long before they reached where the home of the Corvinii was and he looked it over with much of the same wonder she was showing as well. It was never something he could ever aspire to. It was a home for someone so far above his own station in life that it would be impossible. It was something he had never known and rarely seen for himself. His home life was so simple and basic by comparison but he wasn't sad that it wasn't better. He had a mostly happy childhood which was more than what most could say. It was truly quite a site to see.

Kaeso looked at her and checked the paper again just to be sure but he nodded, "I'm sure." He looked at her as he put the paper away and turned to face her. His hands reached up, setting her toga back straight a little as he spoke, "Tell the half truth. You have been through a traumatic experience, Valerie. After all that man has done to us both. They'll see that in your eyes. You're the Lady of the house and it's yours to command now. If they're all slaves then it won't be in their place to question you. If you treat them well and get them to like you and respect you, then I don't foresee any problems from them. It's whatever social circle his daughter had that concerns me but we can worry about that later."

He smiled when she swore, he had hardly ever heard her swear before and he found it refreshing. He gently squeezed her shoulder with a smile of reassurance. "You'll do fine. I have your back should things go to shit," he affirmed, "Do you wish me to knock for you or you want to? Either is acceptable."

Last edited:
(sorry for the late response, had my graduation yesterday)

Valerie shook her head, saying softly "I think it will appear strange if I am not the one to knock. It might be best that I am the one to greet anyone staying there if the estate is supposed to belong to me now." She breathed in deeply, then continued walking on. As they approached the home, the woman and younger man grew clearer and their features were more discernible. Despite the fact that they both swept, the pace of the woman's strokes of the broom were slower. They appeared to be related, both having the same light blonde hair and dark brown eyes. When Valerie and Kaeso got close enough, the crunching of the gravel underfoot was audible.

The pair was just on the edge of the halo of light offered by the burning flame set into a stand at the front door when the woman lifted her head to look at them. She scrunched up her face, struggling to see until Valerie took one more step forward. Her eyes widened, the female reaching out to grab the shoulder of the boy sweeping. "She's back." The woman said, raking at the streaks of grey hair lining her temples before completely dropping the broom and turning back to the boy. The smaller male turned back to look in the direction she was facing, his eyes widening as well at the sight. "Fetch Markus." She said again quickly, the twelve year old boy rushing off to do her bidding, casting a cursory glance back at Valerie and Kaeso before picking up both his and his mother's broom and then running inside.

"Valeria? Is that you? It's...it's been years, how on earth did you get back here?" She ran forward, her attire of a simple tunic made of rough material indicating her position as one of the slaves of the household. Valeria? Is she talking about me? The girl thought, backing away right into the front of Kaeso as the older woman surged forward and took her hands. "By the Gods you've grown. No longer the child you were when you disappeared. I've kept count of the days, but I never imagined this is what you would have grown into...where is your mother, your father?" One look at Valerie and Kaeso's faces told her all she needed to know. Most people would have pestered, wanting answers to countless questions. This woman however, simply sighed sadly and shook her head. Whether it was because of the person she was or her status Valerie did not know. "I figured you had all perished. Better one surviving than none. All us servants thought the worse. Good thing you came when you did, another year and the state was going to absorb this property and us with it. We all would have been sold off had you not reappeared. Juno has heard my prayers, now little Titus and I can remain together....Gods only know what might have happened to him, he's still young enough to be shipped off to other portions of the empire."

"I...uh..." Valerie began, the female hushing her and saying "Oh what am I doing, you must be exhausted. You must come inside. Will he be joining too?" Valerie turned back to Kaeso, her tongue twisting together at the assault of words being thrown at her. She nodded though, managing to utter out a simple "Y-yes he is." The woman smiled, letting go of one of Valerie's hands but still holding the other one as she led them both inside.

The interior was spacious and comfortable, with luxury being visible here and there but overall the decor of the house was just above average. Valerie tried to drink in the sights, her eyes going every way while the older woman was babbling. In a room somewhere nearby was the sound of heavy footsteps, the older woman shouting into the passageways. "Markus! I can hear you're here! Fetch the wine and some food please!" A rough voice mumbled some sort of response. Although it had grown dark since their arrival, the house was lit generously with candles and lamps on tall stands holding flames. The woman led them into the tablinum, stopping and gently guiding Valerie to a couch. The older woman then left, her voice and a males arguing quietly in the kitchen as she fretted over what he was doing. Valerie's mouth was dry, the girl looking over to Kaeso before her gaze wondered around the room. Pictures were painted on the walls, the occassional mosaic also spotting the floor and pillars supporting the roof. Here she spotted a simple scene depicting what she knew to be the 'family' she belonged to, the picture of two adults and a small child making her rise from her seat and walk over to it. She ran her finger of the image of the small girl, who was almost a spitting image of her with the curly blonde hair and bright green eyes painted into her small face. Valerie felt like she couldn't take in any air, trying to swallow past the lump in her throat. "It looks like me...Why does it look so much like me?" she whispered to Kaeso, her head spinning. She turned to look at him, eyes wide in the dark. "I'm starting to feel like I can't breath...."

She stumbled back over to the seat he was on, taking a seat before bending over with her arms clutching her stomach. "I'm going to have to lie to them. Tell them I've lost my memories of them or else this is going to turn south so quickly." She gulped in air again, looking up in time to see the older woman return, the younger man Valerie assumed was her son walking in behind her and a man she hadn't seen before also entering the room.

"Oh my dear, you've gone as white as temple marble!" Whatever relationship the actual daughter had had with this woman was clearly something along the lines of a nanny or caretaker. She went over to her, sitting down right in front of Valerie and placing her hand on her forehead. It just made Valerie feel more claustrophobic, the female closing her eyes and trying to not feel like she was going to pass out. The other older male servant was opposite in appearance of the older female. His dark hair, skin and eyes seemed calculating and observant as he slowly moved over to place down a tray filled with wine, wooden cups, bread and cheese. He was the same height and looked to be the same age as Kaeso.

(No worries, figured you had college/uni stuff :p Hope it went well!)

Kaeso nodded in reply, either choice would have done for the time of day but he fell into step one pace behind her maintaining an appearance of being her protector. His eyes searched about the grounds as they walked towards the entrance and the two people sweeping paths. The crunch of gravel beneath his feet felt odd after having walked on hard flat surfaces and felt stranger than the cobblestones. A brazier illuminated the pathway and sure enough it wasn't long before they were seen. He remained apprehensive as Kaeso was unsure how they would be received. He watched the woman appeared to blink with some kind of recognition before sending the boy away.

The Centurion gleaned little bits of information as they drew close before coming to a halt. The woman was of elder years and he reasoned it was likely that she had been with the family of the house for quite some time. She reacted to Valerie and it was clear the woman thought she was indeed the Valerie that had gone missing. He blinked as he felt Valerie collide into his chest and his hands moved to steady her. Gods knew how she was feeling about all of this and knew she probably felt bewildered.

The woman asked about the fate of her parents and his face soured slightly, his head shook slightly in indication that the daughter was the only survivor left. It was a pretty fucked up day overall and he was longing for some rest. There was still a lot to do however. Kaeso winced when she spoke of the state absorbing their estate and property within and reason that may have been why someone had instigated a search for them in the first place. It wasn't the first time members of wealthy families were killed off to enrich the state treasury and he knew it was often easier to absorb those where there were no members to defend its right of ownership.

Kaeso frowned slightly as the woman spoke and wondered just how much of it was natural babbling and how much was the shock of 'Valeria's' return. It was a lot of information to process and he felt sorry for her. having to deal with a lot of difficult truths in a short space of time. He glanced at the woman when he heard her referring to him and glanced at Valerie.

Maintaining the facade of their positions, he inclined his head, "My gratitude, my Lady."

He was not used to acting or having a need to pretend to do something in the least. He had before all of this had happened lived an honest, down to earth lifestyle where he followed his orders. Kaeso followed Valerie and the older woman into the house and was met with the finery to be expected of such a home. He followed through as the woman steered them towards a lounge area. there were comfortable lounge seats set into a certain arrangement.

For the moment, he chose to remain standing rather than sit down and looked about the interior of the room. He looked at points of entry and the usual things he paid attention to before looking at the aesthetics. Kaeso eventually sat on the cough feeling incredibly awkward about it. He looked at Valerie before looking to the picture and blinked, there was an uncanny resemblance of the younger version of Valeria and then back to her. Her eyes were wide and though it was difficult to tell in the low light, she looked pale.

"I... I don't know, "
he was honestly clueless and he didn't know how Hugo had managed to get the coincidence so spot on. It was creepy in many respects and it was clear it was unsettling her. He reached out to her to try and steady her when she stumbled to the chair. "Just breathe," he spoke just as quietly before footsteps heralded the return of the elder woman and she spoke with a natural authority that was fitting of such a caretaker. He would not be surprised if she had been in charge of taking care of the daughter when she was a child. It was also a surprise to him that she had gone missing so young. It aided their cover story a lot more than he had anticipated and again he wondered how much hgo had left to pure chance. Not a lot by the looks of things.

Movement caught his eye and he saw another servant of the household as he carried food and drink upon a platter, settling it down on the low table. "Thank you," he nodded before he shifted, peering at the older woman.

"It's been a long trip getting her back here and she's been through a lot. After the refreshment, I'm sure some well deserved rest would not go unappreciated,"
he expressed gently as he watched the woman fret over Valerie like a doting bird over her clutch of eggs. It did not seem to be helping Valeria at all.

The male turned to him after a moment and inclined his head slightly, "I will go get a room ready for you, master," he said with a rough voice before he backed off and moved out of sight after Kaeso nodded in return. Kaeso studied him before he disappeared from sight, pondering to himself a moment before looking back to the other two. He was sure they must have had questions and longed for the answers but he knew both of them would need rest before that could happened.

He sat a little forward and poured a little wine into both cups before he gently nudged Valerie, offering the cup, "My Lady... Drink a little, it may help." He hated acting, it was a farce he could do without but to do so would land them both in a right stink.

The older woman looked to Kaeso when he spoke, the woman, quietening under his request. She may have know 'Valeria' for longer, but she was also below him purely because of her status as a servant. He was also a guest in the home, which meant that she had no choice but to stand down in terms of what he was demanding of her. "Whatever you say. master. Might I ask how you know her? We're so grateful to have her back, but I'll need some news to tell the servants of the other households nearby why there is a change of activity on the property. That way they'll be able to relay it back to their own masters. It will keep the throng of people away while she recoveries."

Valerie spoke up then, saying carefully. "The letter. Read her the letter." She did not know if the woman could read, remembering from some of her early studies that not all slaves were literate. She knew some had been hired as educators for reasonably wealthy families like the one she now belonged too, but she had no idea what the circumstances was with this particular woman. She waited for Kaeso to do so, knowing it might qualm some of the woman's insistent interrogation and give her a moment to breath. She accepted the glass of wine after the other male servant had left, waiting for Kaeso to finish before she spoke again.

"The letter does not explain everything. I need to add importantly that I have lost most of my memories...the only thing I remembered was my name. The reason I found my way back is because of the address kept at the administrative offices and the guidance of the man who arrived with me: Centurion Kaeso Marcellus." She looked towards Kaeso, taking a sip of the wine and trying not to grimace as the strange liquid flowed down her throat. The older woman looked a little taken aback at the news, her mouth suddenly squeezing shut and forming a thin line. She eventually cracked a small smile after hesitating a moment, saying softly "Well, even if you don't remember, the important thing is that you're safe. We can remind you slowly of what life with you here was like. That can be an activity for tomorrow though...I see now that our guest is quite right about just how traumatic this has been for you Rest would be best."

When Valerie stood, the older woman did to. She made a start to follow her out the room, but Valerie gently lay a hand on her arm to stop her. "I just need you to point out where my room is...I think I want to reacquaint myself alone." The woman nodded slowly, stretching out an arm and indicating a room on the other side of the tablinum. "Right there. We changed things a bit in your absence, but I guess that won't matter now. I'll drop off some of your mother's things tomorrow morning, your old tunics will no longer fit you." Valerie left, exiting out the tablinum and into the slightly darker passages of the atrium. Just before she entered her room, she felt eyes on her back. She turned slowly, seeing the tall figure of the older male servant disappearing around the corner of another room. The presence unnerved her a little, but the female was too exhausted to try and make sense of everything. She entered inside the room, feeling her way to the nearest thing that felt like a bed before collapsing onto it. She curled up, closing her eyes and almost instantly falling into a restless sleep.

Once Valerie was gone, the older woman turned to Kaeso, inclining her head to him. "The contents of the letter are enough to let me bypass requesting you to sleep on the other end of the house near the servants quarter. Not that I have much of a say considering my mistress has requested you stay here and thus deemed you as a guest. There is a guest room on the opposite side of the atrium where Valeria's room sits. It would appear that some of my responsibility has been taken over by you...I have no power to stop you should you prove to not be careful with your responsibility, so I hope you don't take it lightly. Some of the contents of that letter...well, to say the least, they will require me to sleep on my thoughts. Goodnight, master." She left then, heading towards the servants quarters near the peristyle.

He looked at the slave woman and stared her down in a moment of lost thought. His mind was still running to catch up by a large extent and he didn't like the role he and Valerie had foisted upon them both. He was still wary of the ring-bearer's meaning when it made mention of how the one bearing the letter was to remain with the daughter of the author. Kaeso frowned and only broke eye contact when Valerie spoke. He nodded with accordance to her status over him. One that had to be in effect when under prying eyes. He knew there was not going to be many private meetings between them. Roman houses seldom kept their secrets for long.

The Centurion pulled the satchel at his side round before he removed the letter, the ring and the earrings that held further truth to the story he had to adhere to. He was wary. An expert could tell the difference or work it out. He showed the signet ring and earring, laying both on the couch beside him in the woman's view and the items instantly drew recognition in the old woman's face.

He cleared his throat and began reading the words upon the parchment falling into a steady rhythm he often used when reading reports to his superiors. He was grateful the letter was short and much to the point and he suspected that Valeria's father did not have a lot of time in which to write it. The words had a rushed slant to them.

"These are the words of Gaius Valerius Corvinus, Consul of Rome."

"It will soon be known that my family is no longer upon the lands of our beloved capitol but deep within the lands of the savage natives of Britannia. My time is short, along with that of my dearest wife, Julia. I have written this in the hope that if my wife and I are not blessed by Fortuna in returning home is that our daughter who has blessed us with her life will have the chance to do so in our stead. I am grateful to those in Rome who have sent this man to our rescue and it is my wish and authority that the bearer of this letter remains with my daughter as her protector for the rest of her life. She will need all the protection this life can provide for her."
Kaeso paused as the letter drew to a more intimate and personal nature even if he knew this was not the true Valeria to whom the letter referred. His lips drew thin before he continued in the same tone and manner of reading as before.

"To my darling Valeria, we wish you all the best and bestow our love and strength to you.. and that you can do all you can to maintain the family name. We love you very much and our hearts shall always be with you. In this life or the next."

"Signed,
Gaius Valerius Corvinus"

Kaeso finished and showed the mark made by the signet ring in what looked like dried out mud that stuck to the parchment to her as he placed the ring and earrings back in the satchel more out of a habit of safe keeping. The wording of the letter was ambiguous to an extent and he was not sure he was completely ready for the fate it demanded. It raised questions and he was sure this woman would only add more.

He listened as Valerie spoke and inclined his head slightly before lifting it to gauge the woman's reaction. She seemed shocked by the grim contents of the letter that he had expressed and the manner of their return. Kaeso was grateful when the older woman spoke of allowing Valeria her rest. The Gods knew they were both in need of it. He stood as Valerie did and since he did not move, it was more out of etiquette and respect to Valerie's new position in her social standing.

"Good night, my lady,"
he nodded to her trying his best to show a smile in his expression without overtly expressing one physically. He was sure the servant was very suspicious of him in the least. Who wouldn't? He knew soldiers didn't always harbour the best of reputations and could make lives very difficult. He slowly sat back down when she left and reached for the other cup. He peered at the red liquid within before he took a couple of sips from the vessel.

It was then the woman turned on him with what was clearly no uncertain terms and he knew then she was likely the Domina's personal slave used to governing the household making sure all the utilities were attended to and that their masters every needed was met. She spoke of responsibility and not taking it lightly and he found he drew a distinct dislike of the meaning even if he could understand her concerns. She rose and he looked at her, his feelings bristled but he had no energy to engage in protest or setting the matter straight. He nodded in return watching her leave with tenuous thoughts. Shaking his head slightly, Kaeso drained the rest of his cup before he rose and headed for the room the woman had allocated him. He found the cot made and a few things set out for him.

They would have to wait as he sat heavily on the side of the bed finding it far more luxurious than he was used to in his barracks but less so than the one he had slept in in Valerie's apartment. The soldier had enough presence of mind to remove his satchel, sandals and belt before he crawled into the bed and was soon assaulting the walls with his guttural snores.

Time passed and night turned into day slowly lighting up the villa with the sun's early natural light. At the appointed hour, a cockerel crowed from somewhere nearby sounding its loud morning report. Kaeso ignored it completely at first and was clueless when a servant entered his room and filled a basin with water and then quietly padded back out again. The cockerel crowed again and this time the Centurion stirred, groaning with protest before lifting an arm so that he could rub his eyes. He blinked and stared upwards as he saw the ceiling with Roman colours, not those of Valerie's apartment or even the damp cell in which they had been imprisoned. His mouth twitched before he forced himself out of bed.

Kaeso realised someone had come into the room during his sleep but was grateful for the water provided as he rose and splashed his face with what was rather cold water. It helped to wake him up and he rubbed his face dry afterwards. He would need a shave soon. It was getting too long. He sighed deeply. Kaeso sat on the bed and put his shoes back on before venturing out of the room. He wanted fresh air and soon found the little courtyard in the centre of the villa where a small fountain stood spilling water from fish-like statues. He did not know what the day would bring. This was all unknown ground to him now. He was concerned what the woman thought about during her sleep and he knew even though she was but a slave, she had a lot more power over them than they might like.

He stood and closed his eyes for a long moment just taking the moment to feel a gentle breeze flit over his skin and to collect his wayward thoughts. It did not take the Centurion long to sense a presence, "Good morning,"

Last edited:
Valerie had passed out for the better part of the night, tossing and turning with strange dreams of running through portals. She did not sleep in late the next morning, waking in a cold sweat with her breath rasping out of her. The older woman, who had been in the midst of filling a small marble basin with water from a large jug, jumped with fright and spilled a puddle of water onto the floor. "Good Gods child, you nearly made me leave my skin!" She set the jug down, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

She flattened out the sheets, swiping away at any wrinkles in the finely woven linen. Valerie took the time to compose herself, familiarizing herself with her surroundings now that she could actually see the room she was in with the light of day. The cubiculum was medium-sized, with a large window set into the far wall to let in light. It had a small wooden chair and table placed in the corner. A small alcove placed into the wall had shelves, some containing folded pieces of cloth, glass bottles with mysterious contents and a clay dish containing metal items Valerie could not distinguish. The woman cleared her throat, drawing Valerie's attention back to her. "Now that you've had some rest and I've had time to reflect on what you shared with me last night, I think introductions are in order. I know you don't remember me, so I think I'll explain to you exactly who I am and what role I played in your life when you were a child."

Valerie rubbed her eyes, sitting up a little stranger and trying not to appear as if she would prefer to run out of this room than face this woman now. "My name is Aquila. I used to be your nursemaid when you were small. I guess, now that you're the Domina of the household, I become your housekeeper. We can take things slowly, I don't expect you to remember me as you did when you were younger. For now, I intend to just be a friendly presence to get you settled in, alright?" She patted her leg under the linen, getting up and saying "I have left for you one of your mother's tunics, toga and jewelry. Once you are dressed I can help you with your hair if you like?" Valerie just nodded her head slowly, asking as the woman was leaving "Where is K-...I mean, the centurion? Is he awake?" The woman frowned for a second then popped her head around the doorway, saying "Not just yet. The crow next door will have him up before the sun is completely free of the horizon, it won't be long now before it starts crowing."

Valerie dressed, the woman entering again once she was done before seating her on the chair. She pulled one of the bottles off the shelf, dabbing what looked to be oil into her palm before returning it to the shelf. She gently rubbed it between her hands, then ran her fingers through Valerie's hair, the scent of rose reaching her nose. She placed a small set of gold earrings into her lap, saying "These will go nicely. You need to look your best now that the public will become aware you've reappeared. I'm sure there will be something of a welcome back once I tell Persephone, the wash woman next door, that you've returned. We always meet at the fountain to collect water in the morning, I think I'll tell her then." Valerie remained quiet through it all, wishing she could speak to Kaeso as she placed the earrings in her ears. The woman finished by carefully braiding her hair and clipping it in place using a hair pin, then stepped back and tutted softly under her breath. "You suit your mother's things. I'll have the remainder of her clothes moved in here if you like...I'll move it after I come back from fetching the water." The rooster she had spoken of crowed in the distance, the woman sighing and saying "I best get go. Don't want to keep Persephone waiting."

Meanwhile, as Kaeso exited from his room, the older male slave rounded the corner. At Kaeso's greeting, he inclined his head. "A pleasant morning to you too...Master. My name is Markus. Seeing that you'll be staying a while, might you communicate with me about the funds for the estate? We were slowly being weaned off of an allowance from the state as the years of the Master's disappearance increased for the last five years, but with the new Domina having returned the funds will return to normal. I will need the Domina's instruction to fetch more food, wine and other necessities now that there are more people in the villa." His tone was strange. It was restrained enough to offer the respect due to a guest of the house, but his body language of a straightened back and somber face gave no indication that he felt inferior to Kaeso. This was a man who had once been Roman and had somehow fallen to the wrong side of the law.

The older woman's voice intervened, her figure passing between the two of them with a large jug tucked under her arm. "Get enough for decent supper tonight and food for the week. Anything further can be discussed with my lady after she has arranged for the welcoming party tomorrow. If she waits too long to arrange it there will be tongues wagging. " She exited out the house, Valerie leaning out her room as her footsteps echoed out the front door. Only once she was gone did she fully emerge, an image of blue with the woad-dyed fabric of her toga and the lapis lazuli and gold pendants hanging from her ears. The older male slave who had been speaking to Kaeso straightened when he saw her, watching her for a moment with mouth agape before suddenly ducking his head and exiting out of the atrium and through the front door after the older woman.

The sudden movement caught Valerie's eye, making her turn to look at Kaeso as he left. She did not know if the behaviour qualified as strange, the female simply accepting it for the moment as she made her way over to the soldier. "Good morning, how did you sleep? I figured, with the rest of the house busy, we could go about finding you some more armor? I'm sure whatever funds were left to me will be enough to replace the armor left in my car. It's my fault you were brought here without it in the first place." She smiled softly, shifting her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the next. She felt strange in this unusual attire, but was trying her best to adapt to it.

Last edited:
Back