Abraxas: A Triumph of Evil

Spiraliite

The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.

-Max Demian

Abraxas slumped into his chair before his desk for only a moment, and then straightened. June, his assistant, raised an eyebrow.
“Tired, my lord?” he asked, incredulity coloring his voice. Only June would speak to him this way, other than Chen.
“Only a memory of weakness,” Abraxas replied curtly. “Soon I will lose such memories and be better for it. I have more pressing matters to occupy my time,” he finished. With a gesture of one hand, the reports he had been reviewing shifted off to one side, sorting themselves into piles at his thought. He writhed his hands together before standing up to look out the window over his domain. The citadel was still under construction, the human workers toiling in the sweltering heat of the setting sun. He permitted himself the slightest of smiles before dismissing the indulgence.
“Your mind wanders because you’re thinking of…him,” June said with a sagacious aire. Abraxas acted as though he had not heard.

“The preparations go smoothly,” he said to June. “Contact the other nations tomorrow with final terms before dawn’s light. I intend no further parlay with them. I will move east to take Europe first. They will yield unconditionally or I will obliterate them, starting with London.”

“Chen Ling Hei’an will not agree to that,” June reminded him, gathering the papers together with practiced grace and tucked them into color coded envelopes. Abraxas snarled softly but relented. “Yes, Ling” Abraxas said gently, disgusted at the awe he could hear in his own voice. “Can I trust her, despite all her loyalty?” His pale milky iris’ shifted to one side, considering as he tented his fingers together, like he used to do in the days of plotting, before the days of conquest. “Ling has been a valuable ally, I’ve already offered her a kingdom of her own to rule in my empire to be, but she still refuses. I owe her a great debt, but how long until she collects her due? This worries me.”

"I don't think a kingdom is something that Chen desires," June commented. Abraxas opened his eye to the future, searching the possible timelines of himself searching for her until he would have discovered her location in the great citadel. She appeared in one of those timelines, and mentally he focused on this future, lifting it as one would lift a single strand of weft from the frame of a loom. She stood in the cell of the failed hero, the one who almost stopped his ascent to power. She was…with the hero? A troubling prospect….but why should he be worried? Nothing could stop him now, not even a failed hero…and his unexpected ally. June interrupted his musing, breaking his reverie.

“Is Europe really the first stop in your global conquest? Your generals discussed previously that taking South America would be better, to consolidate your hold on the Americas.” June was tapping notes into a tablet.

“They will yield unconditionally.” Abraxas repeated, stretching one hand out before him in a clutching gesture. “Or I will break their weapons and dash their pitiful hopes first! That is precisely why Europe is perfect. It doesn’t make any sense, I have to travel across the entire Atlantic just to get there. Why did Hannibal travel over the mountains? Because it made strategic sense? Or because he knew it would terrify his enemies into weeping submission with it’s audacity? What is strategy in the face of overwhelming power such as I now possess?” Abraxas’ lower lip trembled in unexpressed emotions. He whirled away from the window and stormed out of the room. Unbidden, June followed him, still tapping away on the tablet.
“You remember, many of Hannibal’s soldiers and elephants died for his audacity,” June commented, nonplussed. “That was a rather cruel thing to do to some perfectly fine elephants.”

There is nothing more I need from you today, June,” Abraxas said without preamble but June bowed silently regardless and retreated down a corridor toward his personal suite adjacent to Abraxas’ own quarters. Abraxas swept down the corridors towards the lifts, toward the bowels of the citadel. It would be several hours until he would begin his attack on the European front, undoubtedly June had already sent messages informing his legions. They would spend the night hours mobilizing for the attack, a pointless show of force. He alone now would suffice. He should not visit the hero in his current emotional state, too much of his detested humanity remained within him. He could not guarantee himself that he would not lose control, no, it would be better to be cold, emotionless, inhuman. This was the safer path, yet his traitor feet carried him to the one place he should stay away from. The room of his vanquished rival, his opposite, the one he had battled time and again, wrecking city and forest alike in their clashes until the night of the eclipse, and the celestial alignment which granted him hegemonic power. Or rather, he corrected himself, until Chen Ling Hei’an.

The woman herself emerged before him, interposed between himself and the door that would take him to see the erstwhile hero. He licked his lips, an oddly serpentine gesture, and spread his hands apart in greeting. Her face betrayed not what she was thinking, and he had the odd sensation that somehow he knew her even less well now than he knew her when she was the hero’s ally, their swords crossing on the battlefield; her fires burned his hair and scorched his skin. Those exciting days of combat were over now, only the sullen march of his inexorable victory over the free peoples of Earth were his reality now.
“My dear Ling,” he said, forcing calm he did not feel into his voice. “Have I not provided you with more entertaining ways to pass your time? What a surprise to find you here, amongst the relics of the old world.”

Having just spent the past half hour healing and consoling Aaron, Ling was noticably less energetic than normal. Pale carnation irises with flecks of magenta returned Abraxas' gaze, her waist length raven black hair pulled back into a pony tail. "Yes, Abraxas my lord. You have given me plenty of entertainment. Thank you." Ling's tone was about as enthusiastic as normal, for someone who was constantly worried so much she had a steely calm about her. Aaron was practically going insane locked in that dark stone room she'd just left, and there wasn't much at present that he could do at all.

"Is it time for the next torture session, my lord?" Her brows raised a little as she asked the question, well aware that Abraxas was probably just going to go in there and gloat some more as he apparently so loved to rub his victory in his once heroic opponent's face.

She could still remember that day, months ago when her and Aaron were still lovers. She had two choices that she'd been procrastinating choosing one of, stay with Aaron aka the hero and have the world meet its end entirely or sign up to work for Abraxas aka the villain and let the world have more time. She still possessed hope that the tide could turn in the favor of good once again, but for now she must bide her time and serve her new lord as she'd chosen to do. The skin tight black leather bodysuit she wore was discomforting at best, a small reminder that she wore constantly to remind her that things were not right. Along with the steel neck rings she wore that had chains gemstones and imperial coins adorning them, small d rings attached to the collar tight rings which width covered her entire throat. The six inch stiletto heels on her boots had taught her a new level of grace to walk perfectly in them at all times.

"If there's nothing else, my lord. I'm going to go have some dinner." She would leave him to his devices as she could barely tolerate being around when Abraxas and Aaron were in each other's company. She smiled slightly and bowed her head before stepping around Abraxas and walking to the end of the dungeon reminiscent hall and opened the heavy steel door to ascend the stairs heading to the main common area of the fortress.

Last edited:
Actually, my treasure,” Abraxas drawled, his voice echoing down the fresh cut stones of the hallway, abrasive to her ears. “It would honor me if you accompanied me during my…meeting.” Thoughts of the meeting with his old rival stirred deep currents of emotions in himself, and it made him nervous. He clasped his hands together so that Chen Ling wouldn’t see them shaking. If he lost control and pushed too far, he would lose Aaron Wojdyla and that…was unacceptable.
“I promise you will not have to wait long for your dinner.” The sound of her foot steps rang out on the stone tiles in lieu of a response, and so he turned to face Aaron Wojdyla without support. He took several deep breaths, to prepare himself to play the role. He hated the idea of hurting Aaron, the gentle soul, but it had to be done if Abraxas was to leave his humanity behind.
He entered the room, and instantly he saw that Ling had been healing Aaron, as he was crouching as he entered. Their last session had involved sliding metal rods into Aaron’s spinal cord and administering electrical currents, and it had taken all of his self control to prevent himself from vomiting in revulsion after seeing the helpless trembling body collapsed on the floor at the end of that session. Now, Aaron stood slowly, meeting Abraxas’ gaze. Abraxas felt a surge of admiration, and he wiped his hands up over his face and shaved head to cover up his moment of weakness.

The Lightbringer…that is what they called you, yes?” Abraxas said, assessing Aaron with what he hoped was a cool, dispassionate stare. “The crowds of little humans you struggled so futilely to save. Dissolving them was especially exhilarating for me,” he murmured, as though only an afterthought. To his horror, Aaron smiled.
Jermaine…that is what we used to call you back then, eh?” Aaron responded conversationally. What could possibly be wrong with this man, Abraxas thought. He had killed and tortured before, and knew that everyone had an instinct for survival. It was unfathomable to him that Aaron would be greeting him so nonchalantly. The most shocking change was that the man had lost much of his muscle since his imprisonment under Abraxas control, this empty room did not allow Aaron to maintain his gym body from before. Gauntness now haunted his cheeks, but Aaron’s ocean-colored eyes still sparkled with life. The anger welled up, and Abraxas unleashed his frustration.

“I am Abraxas! A god!” he screamed, and the force of his power blew out from him stirring dust from the stones and lifting Aaron up off the floor, slamming him into the back wall. Aaron slumped onto the floor like a rag doll, but after a moment he pulled himself into a sitting position, returning his gaze. Blood ran down his face, but righteous anger burned in his expression, a face Abraxas knew very well. He was relieved then as he knew that Aaron did not perceive the insecurity he felt. He was sweating, but he used a small amount of power to evaporate it as he advanced on Aaron, gathering his composure.

I saw Ling in here earlier, did you have a nice little lovers chat? Remind you of…better times?” he said, his tone mocking. He was now close enough to touch Aaron, and he sent a psionic pulse to lift Aaron up into the air, suspending him upside down in the middle of the chamber. “What do you think of her new look? That bodysuit is just so…tight and sensual,” he purred as he cringed inside, running a couple of teasing fingers down Aaron’s exposed back stopping just on the nape of his neck. “You should know, I never asked her to wear it, it’s something she adopted for herself. Did you know that she was into that kind of thing from your little bedroom games, or is it a surprise to you that you don’t know her as well as you thought you did?” Abraxas waved a hand, and small spheres of Aaron's blood levitated off the ground, collecting themselves on his fingers so that he could rub them together. What a precious thing! The boy spilled his own blood so easily, throwing himself into danger to save the people during their epic fights for control of the future of Eternity City, and the continent. Where was Aaron's instinct for self preservation?

Last edited:
Ling froze as the door clinked against the frame, Abraxas' voice grating at her nerves like sandpaper. Turning about and walking back through the door, she stepped right up beside Abraxas and spoke softly, "Yes, my lord." She nodded silently as he said he wouldn't keep her waiting long, dreading whatever was about to take place but showing no emotion on the exterior whatsoever.

She followed Abraxas back into Aaron's cell, meeting Aaron's gaze with her own and pressing her lips together a little to keep her bottom lip from trembling. Ling held her hands behind her back, the cleavage of her bosom showing through the window in the front of her bodysuit. She kept a straight face with a neutral expression as Abraxas spoke again, harder still to manage as she stared into those deep blue eyes she knew so well.

Ling wasn't affected by Abraxas' release, except that she cringed a little as Aaron flew into the wall. Her brow furrowed a little as Abraxas taunted Aaron about her visit, backing away to the wall as Abraxas lifted him up near her and taunted him even more about her appearance. As he toyed with Aaron's blood, she took a step forward and spoke quietly into Abraxas' ear, "My lord, I need to use the bathroom. Excuse me." Her eyes met Aaron's one last time before she stepped out of the cell and the door clanged behind her, walking promptly to the end of the hall through the door and making her way up the stairs quickly. She breathed a sigh of relief as she stepped out of the stairwell into the main common area, finding the bathroom at a much more casual pace and looking at herself in the mirror once she was in.

"Come now, Lotus Moon. Keep it together..." She whispered to herself then stepped away and into a stall to use the bathroom, then washed her hands and exited once she was done. Walking to the main entrance, she left the fortress for the downtown area of Eternity City. She walked to a nearby Chinese restaurant where an old friend of hers was a cook, smiling warmly at him as he greeted her, "Lotus, good to see you. How are you, my dear?" She nodded once and her smile faded away mostly, then she simply said, "I'm okay, Hu." Hu nodded, continuing to ask, "You want the usual?" Ling smiled again and nodded, Hu smiling back then turning to cook her favorite steamed dumplings.

The setting sun had finally disappeared beyond the horizon, and dusk descended over the city. Dilraba was late to her meeting with the most dangerous woman on the west continent, so she hurried to make it in time to the restaurant. The ever present sound of construction rang on almost every street, as work crews labored in shifts to destroy every trace of the old city, and rebuild it as the city which “would last unto eternity.” Dilraba moved quickly through the chaos of the streets, traversing temporary walkways stretched over cavernous voids of subterranean undercity and avoiding the blasts of steam periodically emanating from below. A crush of people squeezed though the narrow streets, and stepped over trash, debris and sometimes even other people. She stopped next to a crowd of people as they waited for a convoy of construction machinery to roll past, and she overheard of their conversation.

This stinks,” one person was complaining. “It’s always hot here now. Remember before ‘mister master of the universe’ took power? At least we had just regular pollution to deal with. How long is this construction going to last?
I wouldn’t speak too loudly, if I were you,” his companion admonished him. “It won’t be long before he sets up some kind of secret police force like the Russians did back during the cold war. Nab people right offa the streets just under suspicion of being traitors. All dictators wind up the same.” Dilraba tugged herself deeper into the cave of her hood and hunched a little more. The machinery passed, and the group loosely moved forward, to the next hub of branching pathways that spiderwebbed through debris piles of demolished buildings. Construction was round the clock, the old world sounds of sirens and cars now replaced by the sounds of jackhammers and backhoes. She couldn’t help but continue to listen as the conversation continued.
“Whatever, a revolution will happen and I cannot wait to start throwing firebombs. It’ll be good to have our freedoms back. No more checkpoints, travel wherever you please.” They passed a rare cleared area where people had set up a kind of flea market, trading and bartering with items scavenged from the destroyed buildings. These days, looting and scavenging could be a very profitable business. It was said that a complete set of playing cards were some of the most valuable things one could loot.
“Revolution? It’s only temporary!" The companion replied. “You think any revolution is going to work against a guy who controls the government and military? Not to mention, he’s supposedly immortal now and controls cosmic power. You see that?” He pointed at the Dials which dominated the skyline. Massive rings the height of skyscrapers set up in concentric circles slowly spun, an omnipresent sight from any point in the city. It was one of the first things that Abraxas constructed after seizing power.
“They look like they’re made of stone, but no one can figure out what kind of stone could be put under those stresses and not crack, it’s something Abraxas made himself, no one knows what it’s made of. How do they keep moving? It breaks the rules of entropy because they move by themselves without stopping and their kinetic energy generates power for the entire city. You think some firebombs are going to do anything against a guy who can make that” Dilraba thought the man was trying to sound assertive, but he couldn’t hide the awe in his voice either.

“What were you before, some kind of scientist,” the complaining man asked, sounding abashed and angry.

“I used to be a self employed architect,” the man said wistfully. “Now I’ve been conscripted into food service. No more people to hire me to design buildings for them anymore.” Their conversation continued, but they turned away from Dilraba as she hurried onward. The oncoming dusk made seeing more difficult, and she tripped over stones or pieces of twisted metal in her rush. One by one, floodlights snapped on over the city, bathing regions in circles of light which was blinding if one stood directly in their beam, but provided ambient light for most of the adjacent streets. In the old world she would probably would have been grateful to have the light to feel safer from muggers or other night assailants, but not anymore. Freedom had been replaced by safety. Dilraba felt as though Abraxas seemed intent on enforcing peace and tranquility, even at the cost of happiness. A check point was up ahead, and Dilraba queued up, trying to keep her head down. She couldn't help but notice that several people were being held in restraints by the guards, apparently they had attempted to breach the checkpoint without having the right level of clearance. At the checkpoint she presented her papers and was allowed into the inner district, closest to Abraxas’ citadel. Once she was within a stones throw of the citadel campus, she found the meeting place, a small dead end alcove behind the restaurant. She greeted a small figure, wearing the clothes of a worker who cleaned the common areas of the massive housing complexes for the residents of Eternity city.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know someone was already here,” Dilraba said the keywords to indicate she was who the figure had been waiting for. With one hand, Dilraba made several practiced handsigns. The small figure watched intently at the handsigns, and made two back in return. Having confirmed each other, the figure bent to the ground, removed one shoe and pulled out a small package which was passed to Dilraba. The figure said in strained English,
You hurry, she inside,” and then bustled off, without a backward glance. Dilraba took a deep breath, preparing herself for what would come next. She opened the package, finding several sealed envelopes, one of which had an insignia meaning she should read that one: a squared cross. She opened the envelope and read the instructions inside. He instructions she tore up and scattered the pieces, the remaining envelopes would be for her to pass on to others, she now was the new carrier who would wait at a designated place to disperse instructions and information. It was a slow process, but very careful and safe. Even if the envelopes were found on her person, it would be little use to anyone trying to figure out to whom the envelopes were intended, or where they were to meet.

Dilraba entered the restaurant, to find Chen Ling already seated, the cook already turned to the task of steaming jiaozi. She had never been to this restaurant before, but she had been prepared for the task ahead.
Ni hao,” she greeted the cook with friendliness and sat a seat apart from Moon Lotus. She acted as though she knew would be expected of her, she dropped her hood and acknowledged the Lotus with a deep nod of obsequiousness. There were secret discussions conducted only in the quietest voices as to who bore the true claim of changing the world: Abraxas or Lotus. The small woman was nonetheless intimidating in her outfit, it fit her like a second skin. A server brought Dilraba a glass of water, but she waved it away.
Cha,” she requested, announcing ceremoniously. “It is hot outside, but I cherish the taste even during these hot hours.” The server brought her hot tea and she sipped it, closing her eyes. She noticed the lack of a drink in front of Moon Lotus.

"Chen-zong,” she addressed her using a very respectful greeting in deference to the highest ranked woman in the nation. “What a joyous fate brings our paths to cross this evening? Please, allow me to honor you with tea to celebrate this occasion." She set her cup down and clasped her hands together in earnestness, her face lighting up. “As the great Chinese poet Lu Tong wrote:

The first cup caresses my dry lips and throat.
The second shatters the walls of my Lonely sadness.”

She shook her head and put a finger over her lips as though to silence herself, her black straight hair she had braided into two shoulder length braids waving. “Of course, if my lady is not feeling loneliness or in the mood for tea, I humbly will leave you in peace."

Last edited:
Ling smiled slightly and nodded to Dilraba after she finished speaking, saying, "Xiexie. I will have some tea with you." Just then the only server in the restaurant brought out Ling's dumplings, asking her, "Ni ye xiang he cha ma?" She smiled up at the server and nodded, responding, "Shi de, qing." He pulled another tea cup and a pot of fresh tea from his tray, placing the cup near Ling and pouring it almost full. Ling smiled up at the middle aged man again, saying, "Xiexie." She looked back to Dilraba and her smile faded, a look of deliberation replacing it as the server walked away into the kitchen.

Dilraba sat in silence for a moment, letting the verdant scent of tea wreath her until she felt transported to another place in time. Outside, the sounds of people passing by barely made it through the windows and walls of this restaurant, and since it was closer to the citadel, it was cleaner and quieter than most other places of the city. Some of the decorations and trappings appeared to be of authentic asian origin, instead of cheap reproductions or kitschy memorabilia. She could see Chen considering something, obviously she would be evaluating Dilraba herself amongst other things. What would the legendary hero see? An unassuming girl, her short black hair in dual braids, dirty fingernails and common street clothes. Dilraba had been recruited for this reason as much as her knowledge or skills. A kind of person passed by on the street and never spared a second thought.

Wo shi Dilraba,” she began, as it would be appropriate for her to introduce herself first. “It is such a pleasant thing for me to meet you here. You were…are an inspiration for many of us who endured hardship during the Segmentation Wars. You look pensive, Chen-zong, may I ask your thoughts?” Dilraba, like many others, did not know why this woman changed alliances. For years, under the name of Lotus Sun, she had fought to protect people, fight those who advanced evil and self-serving agendas. Now she stood at the top of a new world order. Many reviled her, yet others felt that she was under some kind of mind influence since it was totally uncharacteristic for her but that didn’t stop theorists.

Back