Adventure Role Play

"That's all very interesting, but it might as well be flying over my head." he told the shaman, then turned to face Sigvald "Tell me, do you think the enemy will attempt to siege us again? In the state that we're in right now, we will surely fall."

At first he didn't know what to tell him. It all seemed vague and speculative form his point of view. "I'm not quite sure, nothing is stopping them really. They still have the numbers and ammo. But your handiwork must have done some damage to their budget. Without half of their tents and resources, they can't really sustain the assault." he said turning his back, pacing back and forth in front of them "So I suppose it is only a matter of time when they will launch their second assault." he turned to face Moonfall, seemingly addressing her at the moment "Unless they use magic to bombard the city?"

Gin exhaled, this didn't sound good at all. But even so, Sigvald was only naming the possibilities, the likelihood of that happening was negligible. Or at least that's how it seemed to the purple knight. "Pfff, If they were able to do so, don't you think they would have done that from the start?"

Sigvald gave him a side glance while pinching his chin under the helmet "And risk wasting everything inside the walls? Unlikely."

This made Gin let out an audible gulp. Only to stare back at Moonfall for a counter argument, if there was any.

"Oh, you really have huge expectations of what magic can do. Most advanced forms of magic cannot be done directly else you risk burning from inside out. So, enchanted objects act as a safe rod for channelling, that's why wizards have wands. Enchanted items can also give off an essence even people who don't know magic can feel. Any enchanted object that can bombard a city would be detected even if it's far away. Very difficult to hide powerful magic." Moonfall gave a simple explanation of how magic usage works.

Then, she grabbed her wooden staff again. "That's also the reason why I have this wooden staff, it's perfect for magical channelling. With it, I can do much better, and more direct spells. So long as I enchant it properly."

"Besides, I think you guys still have a chance. An attempted siege means they'll try to get inside the city right? Well, you guys can also just let them in, and just have archers use the muskets to attack them in the houses and buildings. And with the city walls, they would be trapped with no way to retreat or regroup. But I don't know, fighting is something I'm not trained to do."

Gin and Sigvald both let out a sigh of relief. Then looked at each other nervously "That still doesn't mean it isn't possible." Sigvald stated.

"Now that you mention it, Moonfall. Vorsen spoke to me about the enemy commander that led the troops on the attack. He mentioned something about how he has a musket that is fueled by magic. I suppose that would make it enchanted, right? Just like that staff of yours." Gin said pointing at the large stick.

"I suppose with magic, anything is possible so long as it doesn't break some of the basic rules," she spoke casually. And so, Moonfall was done with her treatment. She listened to Gin's question and gave a casual shrug. The girl looked at her staff and stood up.

"Musket fueled with magic? It's new with dozens of versions everywhere. The musket usually has a durability enchantment, but not necessary. The actual magic comes from an enchanted powder. I think the powder is shoved into the musket in some way, you pull the trigger and the thunder comes out. I heard there's a tendency to accidentally blow off your fingers if you don't handle the enchanted powder correctly. Plus very good quality enchanted metal is needed or else the musket might accidentally explode too. Also not using the correct powder with the specific musket can also cause it to explode." she explained what she knew.

Both of the knights listened carefully. From the way Moonfall was explaining it, that enemy commander must have been very skilled and experienced to use such a weapon. The thought of one's own weapon killing them was an absurd thought. Firing one of those muskets only to result in a magical explosion releasing you from your arms seemed hardly worth the risk. "I see..." Sigvald spoke

Gin turned his view towards him and said "Well, in any case. I would like to get some more rest. If what the shaman said was true, I will be walking and sparring by tomorrow." he said factually "And for what it's worth, I'm glad you stopped by to see me. Both of you." at the moment - seemingly out of nowhere -, a solemn look swept Gins face "Good thing you both made it back safe. It's nice to have allies to look forward to."

"Don't be ridiculous, We might not have know each other for long, yet I can tell you're one of the good ones."

For a moment, there was a cold silence, one witch Sigvald felt like he needed to break.

"Well, I'll leave you to it." he said quickly, receiving a odd look from the bedridden knight.

Making his way out of the tent, he carefully scanned the area around him. He was looking for Vorsen. Sigvald just had to know what his plan was.

"You knights shouldn't worry about death too much, I heard honourable people tend to get a good deal in the afterlife," Moonfall told the both of them. Then she turned to Gin "Anyways, try to get a good rest. You'll feel much better once you wake up."

Moonfall made sure the knight had a jug full of fresh water encase he was thirsty. Then, she stepped out of the tent to tend to her own business.

Meantime, Vorsen was looking over a map of the region along with some of the translated files that were collected. He was doing some paperwork by a desk outside. Tasks like there often took hours, but they were much more important then being part of every battle. Right now, he was trying to see just how a decent defence of the city was possible. However, he wasn't too confidentthat a proper defence at this city was feasible. The numbers just didn't seem there.

However, there was the next city that had a much more secure defense. It might be better to evacuate everyone and move there instead.

Brushing past all of the present knight's and guards, Sigvald approached his commander. Without even greeting him, we went straight for the questions. "What is our next move, commander?" he spoke firmly but honestly "I doubt you plan we wait here till the next enemy attempts another siege.".

Sigvald's timing was timing was good, almost uncannily so. The silver commander was having the same thought. "Well, no. We won't be staying here like sitting ducks. Enemy swords and musket fire will be at our throats if we decide to do so." he said boldly "Hmm, tell me Sigvald. What would you consider doing at a time like this?" he asked him.

The black knight was not expecting that response. The took a moment to think, but the answer was very simple. "I suppose I would evacuate the whole city, there just doesn't seem to be much we could do..."

"Exactly!" Vorsen slammed his finger on Sigvald's breastplate. "We don't have the numbers! We don't have the rations! The walls won't hold another attack like the one before! Not to mention that we have wounded that need treatment, and no amount of mushroom concoctions will help these people!" Sigvald had never seen him like this before, and at this point, everyone was staring at him. Not in judgement, but rather worry and admiration for his honesty. The knights passing by stood by and listened. The pheasants and working folk gave gave honest looks of worry. The creeping realization that they will have to leave everything behind for their own safety started to creep onto their expressions. "If it weren't for the supplies you recovered, we wouldn't even have the chance to manage the provisions, let alone the wounded." despite everything, Sigvald could sense that Vorsen had the resolve of a soldier.

"Then were will we go?" Suprising everyone, a woman spoke out. All eyes turned to her, Sigvald could clearly see a child hiding behind her from where he was standing. She had bags under her eyes and seemed beyond tired. Streaks of dried tears could be seen on her face. "If you intend for us to leave everything that's left form that day. You MUST have an idea of where you're taking us?"

The guards and leftover knights exchanged mumbling words and whispers.

"We wouldn't be going far, just the next city. Abebubin already has secure defences and much more resources here. It's much easier to defend, and a better place to help everyone. We would retreat there, the wounded would take advantage of their better treatments. And every fighting person would be able to prepare themselves better." Vorsen explained, then he slowed everyone the accurate map. "The huge river here, and the mash provides a natural border to slow down the enemy. I've received a few more letters from the kingdom. And it appears that the entire river is lined up with ships. Those ships have cannons."

He made sure to properly explain to everyone. Even the peasants. Abebubin was a popular city in the region. The large river it was built next to was a great place to transfer good deep into the continent. It's the one city that the Kingdom cannot afford to lose. So much of the navy was put there for an unorthodox defence.

"So I want everyone to begin packing up for the trip. We would be leaving in 8 hours time. Quick march," Vorsen said to everyone.

"We wouldn't be going far, just the next city. Abebubin already has secure defences and much more resources here. It's much easier to defend, and a better place to help everyone. We would retreat there, the wounded would take advantage of their better treatments. And every fighting person would be able to prepare themselves better." Vorsen explained, then he slowed everyone the accurate map. "The huge river here, and the marsh provides a natural border to slow down the enemy. I've received a few more letters from the kingdom. And it appears that the entire river is lined up with ships. Those ships have cannons."

He made sure to properly explain to everyone. Even the peasants. Abebubin was a popular city in the region. The large river it was built next to was a great place to transfer good deep into the continent. It's the one city that the Kingdom cannot afford to lose. So much of the navy was put there for an unorthodox defence.

"So I want everyone to begin packing up for the trip. We would be leaving in 8 hours time. Quick march," Vorsen said to everyone.

"8 hours?!" Sigvald exclaimed "We still have wounded! They can't possibly recover in that time, now can they!? Hell, Gin is still bedridden!"

Without hesitating, the commander shot back a response "We're knights, Sigvald. If they cannot stand and follow us, then we will help them do so." he stated firmly "As for Gin, he's strong. I'm confident hell be able to walk in 8 hours time." Vorsen no doubt believed in this, seeing as how Gin proved his resilience during the raid on the enemy tents "As for you, I believe you should get some rest. You are no doubt exhausted from your damn trip." without saying anything further, he left towards the barracks, no doubt toe tell the news to those who were resting.

So this is how it was. He had 8 hours to rest and het his bearings together. The first thing hat came to mind was informing Gin and Moonfall. And so he did.

"I think this would be a good time to pray. Maybe some of us can get spiritual answers or some form of clarity about the danger," a random peasant spoke.

"The humble farmer has a good point. Everyone who isn't doing anything important should spend at least an hour joined in prayer," the Grand Priest immediately spoke, "It would relax the soul. And bring the injured to peace."

Most of the peasants didn't have anything important to do. And they were all feeling very faithful. Dozens of them began to gather around to pray with the guidance of the religious leaders.

Sigvald didn't really care so much that the people were going to pray. He was very exhausted. So the man made his way to an empty tent. He needed a good few hours to sleep. "Wake me up in 6 hours, or if there is a very important matter," he said to a random knight. The man didn't want to waste too much time asleep.

In the meantime. Moonfall was sitting on a chair while next to Gin. She was quietly reading a small book, occasionally looking at Gin to make sure he was just fine. Moonfall closed her book when she began to hear the people outside praying. She could hear that they were all repeating a common prayer. "You doing all right?" Moonfall asked Gin. She assumed he can hear the praying too.

"I suppose I am,..." his voice drifted on "I just cannot stop worrying. I haven't even fully healed yet, and we're all expected to march on in a few hours." despite his nonchalant tone, it was evident that he was rather concerned not only for himself, but for the other wounded that might not be as strong as the knights. It was going to be a miserable journey no matter what. "Sometimes I feel like joining the Knights of Hvonism was the wisest career path of my life. If that's even what we are called now."

A few moments passed wit neither of them saying much. Until Gin lowered his head, turned around and asked: "Speaking of career choices, how did you become a witch?" he asked her "Were you pressured into it by family or was it a genuine passion?"

"That's the nature of war I suppose, lots of death, destructions and making difficult decisions," Moonfall gave the casual reply. She didn't know much about war so she didn't have too much to say. So Moonfall fell silent, relaxing while enjoying the cool breeze. She was just about to close her eyes when she heard Gin again. So Moonfall turned to the guy and listened closely.

"Well, it's not an interesting story. My father was the tribe's chief and I was the 4th daughter born to his 3rd wife. So from very early on, I didn't have many opportunities other than getting married to one of my dad's friends or some guy from another tribe. But then the tribe's witch doctor was looking for a new apprentice and it was a very picky process. Magic was a feminine skill so no boys, and apprenticeship would only be offered for anyone between the ages 7 to 12. I was chosen. And that's about it. I left my mom to live with my teacher becoming an apprentice. At first, the lessons were in medicine and traditional stuff. But then my teacher began giving less traditional lessons on magic and research. So I suppose I never really had a real choice. But there weren't any good options there for me." She explained in some detail.

Gin listened intently. Her tale was interesting, not to mention; quite relatable. "I know what it's like to not have a real choice. But I must say that the irony lies in the fact that you always do have a choice. But it just isn't good enough for you or your family name." his brow twitching as he spoke of it. "I was born into a noble family - all of the knights are, really - I had a great education, decent upbringing, and our bellies were never empty. But a lot was expected of us when we grew older in return." he paused for a moment to, trying to piece his next sentence together "You know what the problem is when you are of noble birth? It's what I said earlier about choices - most of them are just not good enough. Only three choices really matter; you can either become a trader or merchant - same thing when it comes down to it, you can become a politician or join the military. My family burned these thing into my brain so I was quite prepared in the following years till I came of the ripe old age of 16. Three years of training and you're sent to become a knight."

Gin let out an awkward laugh, making him wince from the pain in his back. "If you have any questions, I recommend you take this opportunity to learn something from a knight."

"In hindsight, I shouldn't have cared so much about what my dad thinks. Honestly, he doesn't even know my name. I have 12 siblings all divided into 4 wives. 7 brothers who I love and they're the only one's who get minor attention from dad. And my sisters were just marriage tools to increase contacts. I haven't been home for a while, but I'm sure at least 2 of my brothers died in battle, and my oldest sisters are already engaged to people they've never seen. I think magic was the best option I had, and so I am very grateful for it. I only wish I tried to leave home a little sooner, instead of trying to impress my dad." She kind of rambled for a bit. Like there was a lot on her mind about that particular subject, "I miss my mom though...."

Moonfall looked around for a little bit more, then she looked at Gin one more time, "Lay down Gin and try to relax. I do have one knight question I want to be answered. So, are knights actual troops or soldiers, or are you more like special guardians? How does it work?"

Gin tried to relax, having Moonfall close by somehow made it easier. He let out a painful grunt before answering "That's a very tricky question - if I'm being honest. We're technically neither. Even though it sometimes doesn't feel like it." he paused, trying to think of a decent way to explain without boring the lady to death, "To make it clear, "Knight" is just a title. One that can be bestowed for many services - most commonly to cavalrymen. I - for one - have been given that privilege on a gold platter since I am of noble birth. As knights; I Sir. Gin, Sir Sigvald and the rest of our comrades serve as vassals, mercenaries and bodyguards to our lords. Some lords have many knights, and some only have one. I suppose it depends, really." Gin stated elegantly "Me and the other knights you have seen serve the same lord, one that has given us a calling to serve the church. And before you ask - no, we are not forced to serve the church - but our honor and self respect deems it necessary to obey the words of our lords."

He chuckled and gave a smile to Moonfall "I hope that answered your question. It may sound somewhat contradictory, but trust me. When you are a knight, it all makes sense." he turned his head and murmured "- more or less..."

"Oh, that sounds similar to different cultures, cool," Moonfall said, she smiled a little, "Having to serve specific lords sounds like an interesting hierarchical system. And I'm assuming that two groups of knights can fight each other. If their lords don't like each other. So does the monarch have a standing army with their knights as well? And would that different knights are more respected based on who their lords are? I don't know how any of this works. I'm still trying to figure out why peasants need to pay lords rent for the land that they pretty much have been living on for generations"

She stood up and brought a jug of water to Gin, and then she poured him a big cup of water. The lady then handed it to the guy. She figured he'll need to consume a lot of water in order to properly recover. And Moonfall was really liking this kind of talk. It was nice

Gin eagerly downed the water, and proceeded to answer the next question. He found this interaction very fun.

"Technically speaking, yes. The monarch could definitely have a standing army of knights. But that would probably never happen. Because every knight is a noble with land, fiefdom and who knows what else. A large treasury would be required for an army like that." he stated "No amount of gold could satisfy an army of proper knights. So what you get is us, almost like a band, really."

These were some good questions, It's been a while since he's had such a conversation.

"As for respect, well honestly, it really just depends who's in question. And if people care as much as they once use to. There was once a time not too long ago when knights would try and see who can scream their lords name the loudest. But now, not so much." Gin's sweaty face glistened in the dark as he shuffled about "But your last question. Why do pheasants pay rent?" he laughed "So that they are protected and have access to the market and other services. They don't pay in gold, but rather food and crops. Which you might call the same thing. But there lies the trick, the soil will more likely than not be good for the crops - if not, why stay there to begin with? You can simply ask a different noble for a place in their fiefdom." he chuckled "Oh, and no. They didn't live on the land for generations, mainly because most pheasants wouldn't live long enough to see those years."

"Okay, I think I'm getting a decent concept. So peasants just pay rent to their lords, to get protected. And if the deal's not good they can just move. The knights are special lords or nobles with land ownership and certain privileges. And the monarch tries to maintain the whole thing as best as they could. So it seems that the nation is made up of semi-independent regions with their own smaller armies and citizens while still acknowledging the larger authority." She spoke to Gin.

There was some more silence while they waited, about 6 more hours until they had to go. All the while, she had begun to dedicate some time to her staff. Just a simple process of just cleaning and carving it. And there was some polish so she was beginning to make it all shiny and fancy. A slow process, but they had time. Then she looked at Gin again, "Okay, I know the war seems to be very scary and so on. But if it makes you feel better, I think you're cute."

She casually said while cleaning the newly made staff, "I thought a nice compliment would make anyone feel better."

The compliment made him blush, he gave no response aside from a flushed smile. He knew she only meant to cheer him up, but it still made him feel better that it should have. Was it magic? Or did spending too much time around men in full plate armor leave a bit to be desired?

"How pleasant of you to say." he finally spoke "For what it's worth, I think you're a very sweet person." the way he said this made it seem like he really meant it. "When all of this is over and dealt with, I'd be eager to talk to you about magic."

Meanwhile in another tent...

The bellowing snores of his fellow knights was the only thing standing between him and a good night's rest. It made him wish he could sleep in the damn forest just one more night. Besides, the feeling of residing in a large tent surrounded by dozens of snoring knights was not something he liked to begin with. If he had his own tent that he couldn't care less, but sharing a tent was the real problem.

Despite all of this, the fact that these things were bothering him at a time like this was no coincidence. He was anxious. The mere idea of the ungodly hassle of escorting an entire village of traumatized - well, villagers - made him eager to enter early retirement. If such a thing was even possible for someone like him.

"Oh well, at least tomorrow we can get these poor people to safety..."

Back