Adventure Role Play

"Yeah, I like talking to you, it's really relaxing. It can be about magic, or food or whatever is fun. Well, I think it's best to let you relax now. We need to make sure you have full strength. So get plenty of sleep, and when you wake up, I'll make sure you have a lot to eat. You like meat right? Something with pork or beef?" She said to him. And of course, Moonfall asked him a simple question. It was getting a bit late and they'll have to leave eventually so she didn't want to keep Gin speaking for too long.

Moonfall made sure to remain for Gin for a little while longer, and she prepared some tea that was designed to help people fall asleep. It was a simple tea made from tree leaves, she often drinks it herself. And once she was sure Gin was asleep, Moonfall left the tent. She needed some time to rest herself and it's really difficult to sleep while. But then she felt a disturbance.

Moonfall looked to one tent and had a feeling that someone was still awake and stressed. That doesn't seem good. So she walked over to the tent and tapped on it. "Is something wrong? I'm getting a real essence of stress and worry," she spoke out

Moonfall startled Sigvald, causing him to awkwardly spasm - nearly falling off his bunk. He sharply glared at her through his helmet like a child. "How are you still awake?!?" he shot a whisper "Before you say anything, the reason I'm wearing my helmet, is because it helps drown out the snores." as if on queue, a lout snore erupted from the back of the tent. The knight nodded to his friend "I'm sorry, but you were saying something?" he whispered, trying not to wake anyone.

"I see. Well, I think I have a nice tea that can help you fall asleep. It's not magic, but it does have a kind of nutty, sweetish tang that always relaxes me," she said to Sigvald, She looked around the tent full of guys, the snoring did seem to be a little bit uncomfortable. So she could perfectly understand how he was feeling. She still smiled at the guy and then walked off. Kind of expecting the knight to join her for one cup of tea at least.

He paused to think for a moment, the sound of tea before bed didn't seem so bad. And after all, it didn't seem like he was going to get any sleep any time soon. His bed's small wooden frame creaked as he tried his best not to wake anyone. Although judging from their sleeping that would probably prove harder than he first thought.

Sigvald stepped out of the tent and clumsily caught up with his friend. "Thank you for this courtesy. Sleeping out here is impossible!" he exclaimed silently. "But tell me, why are you roaming around the city in the middle of the night? Sleeping would be much more productive." he was silent for a moment before another question caught his mind. "Hold on, what were you expecting to find by poking your head in our tent?" he felt almost embarrassed to ask.

Moonfall took about 5 minutes to make a small campfire in some dirt. A remarkably quick process where she dug a hole, shoved some dried branches and some stones. She placed the metal pot in the tray and added some freshwater from a jog. When the water started to get a little steamy, she added some tea leaves. to it.

"It's not my second bedtime yet. Where I'm from, people tend to sleep twice a day. About midnight to sunrise is the first sleep schedule, and another nap in the evening for about 1 to 3 hours. I already had my nap in prison, so I'm good until midnight. To be honest, I got a little bored so I was hoping to find someone else who was awake. I had a feeling you were awake so I decided to check up on you," She responded to the guy. The nights were cool with a very slight breeze. Moonfall sat down on the floor and grabbed a wooden spoon from her bag. She started to stir the pot a little.

"What a strange routine..." the knight thought. "I wonder what else her people do differently."

Trying not to sty awake forever, laid down next to Moonfall and the fire, the orange flames painting his black helmet in a dim light. The fatigue in his muscles mate it both miserable and comforting at the same time. Like falling into a pool of feathers after a straining sparing session.

"Your answers only leave more questions, Miss Moonfall." he spoke in a bright tone. "Tel me more about that tea you're brewing there."

"Um, well I'm not sure what there is to add about the tea. I guess it's technically three different types of leaves that have been dried and mixed for one unique taste. The main tea leaf is the general green tea everyone knows and loves. And the two other leaves come from a tall hardy tree, which provides a more unique flavour." she casually explained, tea wasn't something she was too excited about tea. It's just a drink she usually had at night for relaxation.

"Try not to think, just relax and enjoy the night. You'll fall asleep once you're relaxed enough," Moonfall advised him. She handed the guy a basic cup of tea.

Sigvald raised his helmet and took a swig of the tea. Green tea must have not been his thing, the grassy taste almost made him recoil. It wouldn't fit onto his palate, that much was sure. "I suppose I should lay down now, yes?" he said as he did so. So far, he couldn't feel anything other than his own fatigue. He laid down on his back next to the fire, one hand on his belly and the other under his helm. "You haven't disappointed me so far, Moonfall. I know you won't now." he said to her. "Just wake me up when it's morning. Goodnight."

Moonfall would stay awake for a couple of minutes until the moon was directly above her. So then she took a relaxing nap, keeping for just about 6 hours until it was a little over 6 am. She woke up just when the sun peaked from the horizon. And at that moment, she tapped Sigvald's shoulder to wake up the knight. "It's early morning, the sun woke up and you need to," She spoke to him, "Do you need me to prepare breakfast or are you fine?"

The others were just waking up. In fact, the religious leaders were riding awake. The church bells were just fine, so one of the priests started to ring the bells like they always did for the city. If most people weren't awake yet, the bell certainly did the job. Loud and annoying, the bell sounds echoed through the city. All the knights and other peasants were groaning in annoyance when the bells rang.

The loud echoes of the morning bell woke Gin from his sleep. "Gods grant me strength..." he said as the burning pain in his head faded away. Sitting upright, he found there to be almost no pain from his back - must've been the result from the witches medicine. Rising from his bead in a stained tunic, he hesitantly peered through the curtains of his tent and saw that his fellow knight were wasting no time in preparing for the mission ahead. Unexpectedly, Gin was met with a familiar face, the commander.

The silver knight eyed him worriedly, "Good morning, feeling any better?" he asked.

Gin touched the scar on his back with little to no notion of pain. "I suppose so, that witch really knows her alchemy." the response was slow and seemed to poke the silver knight in a weird manner.

"I see..." he said "Despite everything, I advise you to take think before ingesting any more of her medicine." the commander's words were firm but not an order "Don't forget, it was her alchemy that got you into such rough shape to begin with."

"I am a knight, I would have gotten injured anyhow." he stated "I suppose she just made my actions more effective."

"Well then,..." the knight said "I understand, yet I don't know if we can fully trust her. I'm just asking you to show more caution and hesitation before ingesting anything else she gives you."

Gin nodded "I shall, thank you for the wisdom." He looked around before putting on a confused look "Speaking of witches... Commander, where are Sir Sigvald and Miss Moonfall?"

Moonnfall was pretty much wide awake and energized by the morning, so she started to get herself ready for the day. With all of the usual self-care chores done, she worked just a little bit on her staff. The last part of her work needed some carving, so she borrowed a knight's knife to do the work. It was a quick, but artistic process to carve markings on the staff that almost looked identical to her tattoos. But, it was a process that she managed to finish very quickly.

There was one more thing she needed to make the staff functional, but she felt that it might require some permission. Moonfall didn't want to ask a priest. So she walked around to find Sir Sigvald instead.
"Morning Sir Gin and Sir Sigvald. I see you're looking as healthy as ever Gin, just eat some beans to build up your strength.," she spoke. Moonfall was holding a much more complete looking staff. It appeared to be sort of like a really tall walking stick. Almost as tall as her with a slightly pointed top. It was carved and had some feathered around the tip. "By the way, Sir Sigvald. I found this ring that belonged to an enemy warrior, looks valuable. There's a lot of desire and regret really soaked into the ring's ruby so it's really magical. The person's soul is really bonded to it so there's a 30% chance that there could be ghost hunting because of the ring...Can I keep it?"

GIn gave Sigvald an unsure glance, not knowing what Moonfall was really talking about, and neither did Sigvald.

"That depends, will it put others in harms way?" the black knight asked "If so, I'm afraid I will have to confiscate it." he said this as if he didn't really have a choice. "And besides, we don't promote scavenging or looting. We are not bandits."

Gin agreed but he couldn't help but give the shaman more credit "Well I'm sure she wouldn't try to endanger anyone." he stated blatantly "Isn't that right?".

"Well, the item would be dangerous if left alone. You see, if a person loves an item enough, their soul might get bound to it upon death. So the item is enchanted with the owner's soul. That's usually bad since a spirit in the open decays that creates bad luck and diseases," She replied to the two knights. Moonfall still handed Sigvald the ring for him to decide what to do with it. "The spirit is going to poison whatever it touches, so it needs to be purified or contained. I'm sure the priests can use them."

"Well, I honestly doubt the priests will take proper care of it till they can even begin to purify it. So I suppose it's safest in your hands. Wouldn't you agree?" he said as he glanced at Gin expecting a sure answer, with witch the purple knight responded with a quiet nod. "Then it's settled..." Sigvald stated, "Keep it safe, for now."

"Just don't forget to remind her to return it."

"I won't, but I appreciate the reminder." he chuckled "Now where is that leader of ours?" the black knight asked.

Gin shrugged as he looked around "Wherever he is, I hope he isn't having second thoughts. At this point it would disappoint me if I didn't sit on my horse for a long duration..." he joked.

She placed the ring in her bag for safety. "I'll make sure to secure it, the bag is enchanted enough."

Then she looked around, curious to know where Vorsen was. There was a lot of people walking about and chatting with each other. And then she took notice of a crowd of priests and peasants. She concentrated on them, and when some of them walked away, there was Vorsen. He was talking to a few peasants. "There he is, already doing work from the looks of it."

Vorsen had noticed the two knights with the sorceress. So when he was done, the man walked over to the three of them.

"Morning, Sir Vorsen, should we start going now?' Moonfall asked him.

"Indeed." said Sigvald "The longer we delay the higher the chance of us getting sieged again." Sigvald said to him.

Gin observed the moment unfold, his thoughts still uncertain as to how this was all going to turn out. A strange sense of fear, urgency and doubt plagued his mind. Yet he tried his best to push those feelings aside. "We should already be mounting our horses..." he said under his breath.

Somehow, everyone managed to do their jobs at just the right time. Getting to the defended front of the city.

The full might of the entire Hvolnes military was centred on this spot. The new ships were very modern for their time. The locals described them as wooden mountains with fingers that spat balls of fire and ash. Such designs were meant to punch a hole through armoured citadels at the coast or dominate the waters around them. But they only worked in very deep waters. Luckily the river here was very deep as if the ocean had stretched unto the land.

They were lined up by the Abebubin river, 30 ships strong. It would be impossible to cross the river without a boat, and impossible without first sinking every ship. And one couldn't just pass around the river. It was long, stretching for several kilometres deep into the forest. Besides, Abebubin was a very economically powerful city with routes going deeper into the kingdom. Passing around would mean going through dense forest and possibly getting lost before another city could be found. And by then the security would be more than able to get there first to defend.

The knights from deeper into the kingdom had managed to also arrive. A lot more of them had muskets and newly furnishes shields. Though some still had their classic crossbows and swords with them. Things were moving fast. Some small pits were being dug so the musketeers could hide and shoot. The strategy was that the enemy force would be distracted due to the towering ships, so musketeers in the pits could shoot from below.

"This placed changed fast." Moonfall said, "Purely fascinated."

"Looks like we still have a lot of time," Vorsen said, "All the injured people should be brought to the nearest medical tents. I need to speak to whoever is in charge here."

The trio stood and watched the scene unfold. Commanders giving orders, soldiers complying, it was all as it should be. They all felt the air of organization and discipline wash over them. At least the two knights did. The same probably couldn't be said for the witch. Her opinions were a mystery on the subject, that much was certain. Gin leaned on the rail of the upper deck and watched the musketeers enter the holes. "You reckon they might pass out in there?"

Sigvald took a moment to think before answering "Most likely, especially if the sun keeps shining as bright as it is now." he remarked. And he wasn't wrong. It was a gorgeous day. No cloud in sight. And for once, the outside elements were really making him feel like he was starting to slowly boil in his armor. Can you imagine if they tried to put us into one of those?"

"Oh they would try, literally." his answer was quick, as if the question was already in his mind. "I truly can't imagine being in one of those for more than 15 minutes. I'm not very good with tight spaces."

Sigvald knew what he meant. He just couldn't remember what they called that type of fear. Was it Claustrophobia? "I once heard a story from a fellow knight about a friend he had in one of the musketeer regiments. Apparently, one of the soldiers passed out for the same reason. By the time he climbed out of his hole everyone had either died in the battle that took place or left. By the time he got back from the field he was surprised to discover that they had marked him as dead!" the black knight let lout a short laugh "He said it took the poor sod to convince everyone to the contrary."

Both knights laughed happily, with the rest of the crew paying no mid to they talk. As if they didn't even exist. Sigvald sighed with satisfaction, having made his friend laugh, he spared a glance at the shaman "What do you think Moonfall? Pretty funny, eh?"

"Well, I don't know about war or fights. That's your expertise I suppose. But I suppose being stuffed in a very hot hole would not be very enjoyable. Maybe if they had a cold drink with them, it would be a little better." Moonfall said to the guys. She continued to walk on

Normally high ranking officers would be old, just from the experience of battle and leadership. Though now, there were a lot of younger men in cleaner uniforms. While before the lieutenants would have been in their forties, now some men were in their thirties, some in their 20s. There were a lot of older men of course, but the distinction was vast. Like two separate armies working together. The younger men had clean trousers and dress shirts. Their swords were thin and shaper, looking much lighter than the typical long sword. They had neat hats and some even wore boots. Taking a closer look, they seemed to be very similar to how the enemy dresses. Modernization.

One of the older officers noticed the group. He was an elderly knight, and should have retired or died in battle a long time ago, but still here. Somehow the luckiest knight but time was beginning to catch up to him. He no longer wore heavy armour since the weight was troublesome for him. So he just had leather armour with chainmail. Something light, but certainly nothing like the clean uniforms the youngsters are wearing.

"Sir Sigvald, Sir Vorsen, Sir Gin," he recognized the three of them, "I'm glad to see that you're still alive. You'll have to tolerate the clean shirts. These were the result of the King's five-year investment. They're new with a lot of book smarts, but may lack some real sense."

"Just what we needed..." Gin muttered to himself, before quickly being nudged by Sigvald to keep quiet.

Sigvald gave the clean shirts another look before asking "How much battle experience do they have?" his tone was rather concerned. The thought of having inexperienced commanders who were more like scholars in charge of their lives quite disturbing.

SIr Vorsen gave an agreeable nod "That is a fair question. Have these men seen battle yet?"

Back