Adventures by Moonlight

"I'm traveling. Besides, like I said, most places I go don't really want me around. And I could be being massively unfair, but where am I supposed to go? My Nightshade status basically means that I'm not even welcome among my own race. I can't exactly spend my entire life in the wilderness. I have to get supplies sometimes. And some part of me keeps hoping to find someone who's just a good person. Like you." Aya smiles at Aruna, showing her pointed canines in the fierce grin. She wasn't being especially bitter. She was speaking simple facts that she'd lived with. "Now that said, the people who raise me were very kind, so there is that."

Her face turned serious as she looked to Aya, "We all have to learn to take the bad with the good and make the best of the hands we are dealt." She seemed to be speaking from experience, wisdom held in her eyes as she spoke. "Too many take for granted what they should feel blessed to have. You see it is a war...inside each of us on how we can, will, and want to handle others as well as ourselves. It is just sometimes how it is."

She softly smiled to Aya, she knew her change in demeanor may alarm the girl. But at the same time, no one is happy 24/7, that would be very suspicious. She didn't want to frighten the girl either. She was just speaking what she knew, in a sense her reason for never settling down.

"Well, honestly, I never settle down in one place, at least not for very long, typically a few weeks max of 2-3 months usually. I get restless." She smiled more, exposing a pair of canines as well. "Trust me, werewolves are not exactly easily accepted let alone a practitioner of the Craft as well as a werewolf. So I get it two fold. One reason, I don't like judgmental people. I've been on the judgement side and judged side of things. One reason I chose to not really make friends or settle down. I have yet to find an area that I wouldn't feel like I was an inconvenience to someone." Her voice became solemn and humble, her last sentence was just above a whisper.

Her eyes had fallen to he clenched hands on her knees. She was ready for the freak out that often came with the revealing of 2 parts of her nature. She hoped Aya might be different than the others since she was part of the same side of the coin in a sense. However, Aya's was not as easy to hide as hers.

"That's a very interesting perspective. And a good one." Aya hadn't been expecting to see a werewolf. But this woman had been kind to her, in spite of everything, and she knew what it was like to be the outcast and despised. She knew the incident at the tavern could have been worse if the tavern keeper had discovered her own species. But she didn't mention that. Instead of freaking out, other than the clear start of surprise, Aya clasped the other woman's shoulder in friendship and understanding. "I've never been one to settle down either." Then she chortled. "Maybe us outcasts should travel together."

She flinched only slightly at being touched, she wasn't used to it so she had been caught off guard by the friendly gesture.

She looked up to Aya and smiled warmly which melted into a devious look, "I dunnooo? I am a bit of a handful I have been told. You might get sick of me."

Her devious look was more playful then having malevolent or trickster style intent behind her topaz gaze. After a moment she laughed softly to let Aya know she was playing with her. She fell silent after a moment and jerked her head toward the entrance of the cave as a long lowly howl cried out in the distance a ways away from the cave entrance. Her face went solemn at the mournful song the wolf in the distance sang. Loss, sorrow, and pain echoed in the howl. She hated when they were upset, she couldn't tell why, she wasn't in wolf form to understand exactly what was said but she felt the emotion deep in her gut where her instincts had plummeted at the sound.

"Poor thing." She muttered barely audibly.

"Sorry," Aya apologized at Aruna's flinch. "I should have asked first."

Aya smiled back, mischeviously, "Well, if I get tired of you, I suppose I could always ask you to leave. But I don't think I'm going to. It's nice to have someone around who gets it."

Aya watched as Aruna's smile turned serious and her head jerked at the howl of the wolves. Aya wasn't as in tune with nature as Aruna was. But she could here it, even if she couldn't here the sorrow.

"What is it?" She asked Aruna. Not necessarily because she'd heard Aruna's mutter, but because she knew Aruna was sad.

"I feel the sorrow in his song." She said softly, staring up to Aya. "Loss, pain...so much sorrow."

Tears brimmed her eyes, but she wiped them away. "It is ok, I am just not used to people touching me."

She stirred the stew some more. A soft smile came across her lips as she pulled a piece of meat out on the spoon and pushed on it. "Not much longer Aya."

Aya nodded. She didn't quite understand, but then again, her people weren't especially well attuned to nature. They were, for the most part, a civilized race. "I'm glad you're alright with my touching you. I still should have asked." Then she said, "Good. It smells wonderful."

"Don't worry about it. it is not huge thing, really."

She felt silent occasionally absent mindedly stirring the stew on the fire. A thousand yard stare of amber stared at the dancing flames as if lost to the fires dancing charms. After about 15 minutes mores, she pulled a carrot from the pot the ladle and inserted a fork. With a smile, she then grabbed a small towel folded it over an removed the pot from the fire. her stomach growled in anticipation as she set the pot on the ground to let it cool.

"It's ready Aya." She said offering her an empty bowl and the spoon to let Aya serve herself first.

"Good," Aya said, straight-faced, trying not to grin. "I'm hungry. And judging by the sounds your stomach is making, you are too." She came over to the wonderful-smelling soup eagerly.

She smirked to Aya and patiently waited her turn to dish out her serving of the stew.

"So, Aya - " She paused. " what do you plan on doing now? I mean, what exactly do you plan on doing with your life? Me, I actually want o be accepted as a Bard. But a lil hard to do so when people won't give you a chance to show your stuff." she giggled nervously.

"Well, I think you could do that. Be a bard I mean. You have a wonderful voice. As for me? I don't know. There's something I'm meant to do. I just don't know what it is...yet. Nightshades like me are born for times of turmoil. Sometimes we start them, either intentionally or unintentionally, and when unintentionally, we try to stop it. Sometimes it just happens, and then we have to choose sides. But it's hard to find out if anything is going on when people don't want you near them, you know?"

"Yea that can be a tad challenging." She agreed, nodding slightly.

After she finished eating she noticed some was left, but her stomach was sated.

"There is more if you want it Aya."

She smiled softly to Aya, it had been a long time since anyone really was okay with her. It was nice to have someone to talk to. Although, she'd be honest...she wasn't sure how long Aya would stick around her. It was not like she had no control over her shift, because she did. In fact, she had full control of when she shifted, unless put into a major moment of desperation her shift will take her forcibly which had only happened once. She prayed it would not happen again. She still had nightmares of the slaughter she dished out to those men. Her gaze softened as she fell into her thoughts, her hands in her lap, the fire light flickering in her eyes as she stared at the fire.

"Thanks again," Aya said, taking some more food. She was happy to find someone who tolerated her. Maybe it wouldn't last. But she'd deal with that when or if it came to that. For now, she was happy sharing this moment, this time, with someone who was friendly. After her second helping, she was satisfied. But she noted the silence that had started between them. She let it linger, in a comfortable sort of way, not pushing for answers, though there if Aruna needed to talk.

Back