Aliens and Monsters and Heroes -- 1x1 with ObsidianLight

KittyInTheHat

A DOLLMAKER WITH MY HAIR??? YAAAAAASSSS
Star vs the Forces of Evil/Sailor Moon/Pacific Rim/Teen Titans. Leonis Epsilon , the prince from another planet is sent to Earth to reach out to the earthings along with his two new guards. Upon reaching Earth, they feel strange shifting in their bodies, and suddenly they can do things they were unable to do before. This both shocks and pleases them, for it appears that Earth is in a moment of great peril right now.

Monsters are rising from the waters of the world, some of the monsters appearing as beautiful humans, some with things humans don't have such as wings or horns, some appear normal, but they aren't inside. Some monsters are disgusting monstrosities that look like what you would expect a monster to look like. Some appear as animals that can speak or change shape at their will, but can control minds.

Each kind of monster is just as dangerous as the others, and are wrecking terrible damage to Earth. Cities have been leveled, great forests are gone, burn scars mark the ground in huge streaks, the oceans are shrinking.

Thankfully for humanity, they already have a group of people to protect them. This group -- 'superheroes' they are called -- fight the monsters that are coming out more and more often. No one knows where the monsters come from, nor why they are here.

Humanity is either in denial -- for that is something humans are amazing at -- cowering, welcoming the monsters that aren't the freaks, or trying to convince others not to accept them and fight in their own pathetic way.

Not only is this a terrible time for royalty to join them, but the portal used to teleport the prince and his guardians to this new planet was destroyed before they could return. Now they are trapped along side the humans on a doomed planet.

@ObsidianLight

Last edited:
Name: Nova Arcturus
Sex: Female
Race: Alien -- One of the Prince’s bodyguards
Appearance:
b1174b8cb8ca2e7d61fd023b8eaa4923.jpg

Powers: Aerokinesis -- control over air, which she uses to fly and speed up her arrows.
Other:

Name: Vulcan Cassiopeiae
Sex: Male
Race: Alien -- One of the prince’s bodyguards.
Appearance:
87c9194ebf37940503194c7d4f088803.jpg

Powers: Teleportation
Other:

Name: Harper Blake
Race: Human -- Superhero
Appearance:
c38a6fa55655c86ce880d8f2e67c9ed9.jpg

Powers: Technopath --a psychic ability to control electronic machinery and/or read electronic signals.
Other: She always carries weapons that she has invented that can change form (think RWBY). A sniper rifle that can turn into two smaller pistols, claws that can come off to make daggers or join to make bladed tonfas, and a kusarigama that can become a short and stocky scimitar.

Name: Alistair Davenport
Race: Human -- superhero
Appearance:
d808464254a6310374c7b4048a69d7c7.jpg

Powers: Magic -- he uses it to teleport to the library/study he built with magic in space.
Other:

Name: Veatrix (Trixie)
Race: Monster
Appearance:
0aa38246c091dc312c762f46246069ec.jpg

Powers: Charmspeak, luring, and energy fire
Other:The older you are as a monster, the more power you get. That's why Veatrix has energy fire when Wilhelzim doesn't.

Name: Wilhelzim
Race: Monster
Appearance:
09175415b7c75f868d93051840bb5e9d.jpg

Powers: Charmspeak and luring
Other: The older you are as a monster, the more power you get. That's why Veatrix has energy fire when Wilhelzim doesn't.

Name: (Prince) Leonis Epsilon (Leon)
Race: Alien--prince
Appearance:
7BowPL-DhGOtaPIPHSFkO9Egd9buKdPBffUps_NS_18x6HF3p2V1OC3zR3kKGhHLYOxjQnpxbHNRsrPzDAauScriOVSZy7R0j_PLynwFr0UVa4ypNqu0PZ83WT2p5mZoekYxi6aS

Powers: Space and void--He can summon matter. He has the ability to create and destroy atoms in any object he chooses. His power is limited--the bigger the object, the more power he is drained of. He can not deprive a creature of its life, nor may he create one.
Goes with Nova

Name: Sid Eclipse
Race: Human -- twin sister of Mason Eclipse
Appearance:
lULkfU6r8ilbVps-PwztG57iA93HBJ6_leIWJkIVjCuovFQ0NvI7B8OyLup8te1lz8UH_w19XHJl-ICv4A9X7UqAbt3VfUDWQ4TbiPKwTADVD8Z4pIkRkXGfg8qBmsMqPoQa9JNl

Powers: None of course.
Other: She has serious PTSD from when she was fifteen.
Goes with Zim

Name: Mason Eclipse
Race: Human -- twin brother of Sid Eclipse
Appearance:
zbHBAnnni-MpoUlb1verhQhAfmJbihBseC8UGIscIXfWElpGsnDw6FDewFukjv53c6N1I6sTj3i2sdnPOcUgB9SS-DPJtN5SPHziBOaU1VsQayVDgeWqXU4DpjheHXDkPDMsCxWs

Powers: None of course
Other: Is very protective of his sister--ignorant and outgoing. Very into death.
Goes with Trixie

Name: Liz Ink
Appearance:
Hy7ZnEDdzgvVR3DmLsZG9V4S7xe5VVqWhibwM5_d_0lkPDbmHNJrj54o02eE6QdIia3mbTs71zYEkt0cGC7gE7ZSloKRLHCCdKt-zUS-F9UtbRXZUrVlGtyfZBqpYjAaBC5Z6f9a

Powers: Paint, ink, any kind of substance in that category. She can control it, summon it, and even create life with nothing but a piece of paper and a little magic.
Other: Her eyes are constantly changing color, though they were once silver.
Goes with Alistar

Name: Chase Hudson
Appearance:
R2FHps4HT-s-3Kx7hRwDdIILZ1TM0CHOpTSt1-INm8BbHqjkxo_qrtCSaRbrT-gcmWz_R-VHsjK4I21wIfCaEM4imZKZkCsowzEkpcYmYtpU4x27GH3eGazY_nA-bumO5e5MKI1W

Powers: Pyrokinesis -- he can summon fire with the will of his mind.
Other: He's super flirtatious. Especially with Harper.
Goes with Harper.

Name: Gracie Grace
Race: Human
Appearance:
fKwrsKq7vnAadJWcyVs9o1jloIn3CoUiaS3rxtIEQ-maSRA7aglsnuUUmtmjT7ETPWTw1JSaAO9prxKTfsx4KZLEty4zoQ-v0fyqhHBfct6lGUzkMwmynQafbPdRngsEoi5nLvQw

Power: None of course
Goes with Vulcan

Vulcan strutted into the room, glancing around the throne room of King and Queen Epsilon. It was smaller than he had remembered, but, of course, the last time he had been here was when he was a kid, being admitted into the King's soldiers service. He was trained, obviously, and had only actually entered into the service when he turned seventeen. Man, had that been a twist. His life was different now, much more serious. He had always been the smartass in the academy -- the one that never listened, instead flirting with his female classmates. He had been tolerated, always being told "you'll change when you enter the guard for real." Vulcan had waved off their words, knowing he would never change: he was Vulcan Cassiopeiae, professional disrespective smartass.

He was sure of that until he graduated. Suddenly he was thrown into a man's life, and not in the back lines. Mewni was at war. It was a war that had been raging for three years, and Vulcan had never paid attention to the classes where the terribleness of the war was displayed by the pictures generated in scary 3-D detail into half of the room. He had always been picking his nails, fiddling with his hair, or flirting in adult ways with the nearest girl, who was probably ignoring him.

Some girls found the hot bad boy sexy, and tried to get his attention. They got it. Most times when Vulcan skipped class you could find him in a closet with a pretty girl. Unlike some guys, he strung them along instead of leaving them and making them bitter. He was a smooth talker and was great about explaining to girls that he helped a lot of other students with their homework and that's why he was always around other girls. He was careful not to be touching the girl he was currently with when another of his girls passed by. They ate it up, but he knew that some of them only did it because they liked him too much to give him up by arguing with him.

Vulcan was quite happy with his life, but one day it was over. Suddenly he was forced to latch his uniform jacket. Suddenly he was away from the girls, and if he tried to flirt with another of the soldiers, he was punished. His diet was restricted, and, worst of all, he was given a sword and told to fight for his King and home. This was terrible! He tried to avoid his job at first, and then discovered that it wasn't excused. He would be at the briefing. He would not hide in the back rows. He was fast; he was strong. They needed people like him. Day after day Vulcan ran through fields of tall grass, thick forests that tripped him up, or swimming through terribly cold rivers. The Mewni warriors were on the offense. They were quickly driving the enemy back.

Until they realized it was a ruse. A false lead to keep the bulk of the soldiers away from the capital. Then they were running back, hardly stopping to get food out of their packs to eat on the run; they only slept for about four hours before being jolted awake by another soldier and running on.

Days past, and news of the fall of the capital spread. The army of Mewni ran faster until they were there and battled their way through the enemy camps and back to the castle. They collapsed inside past the castle walls, and the wounded were taken to the infirmary and the others were given one day and one nights rest before they were back on their feet, battling on the walls or making forays into the city to fight back the enemy as they tore faster and faster through the lower town.

Vulcan was one of the wounded, and by the time he was healed he was being summoned to the throne room. Not sure what this was about, but renewed back into his old ways by return to his home, he walked into the throne room, a swagger in his step and his shoulder only twinging a bit. He walked to the center to stand next to a woman he had seen before in the academy but had been a year ahead of him and had been one of the ones to ignore him in the school, so he didn't know her well.

She was about a head shorter than he was, and very slim and fit, from what he could see around her cape. She didn't have very large breasts, but she made up for it in a gorgeous face and very shiny hair. She was wearing a very... nice outfit, very fitted. And a great deal of her leg was showing. Vulcan hadn't seen so much of a girl for eight months.

He was about to make a suggestive comment when the doors next to the dais for the thrones opened and the King and Queen entered. The girl was bowing before he could blink, and he followed suit hastily. The King and Queen strode regally to their thrones and sat, the Queen a moment after her husband to denote his superiority. The girl stayed bowed, but Vulcan itched to stand. He twitched twice before the King said, "Rise."

The girl straightened slowly, but Vulcan was up almost before the word was out of the King's mouth. The King chuckled softly. "I see I have chosen well. Vulcan Cassiopeiae, meet Nova Arcturus."

Nova turned to him, a cold look in her eyes. She extended a hand. Vulcan laughed.

"Why so serious, Nova? Lovely name, by the way." He winked flirtatiously.

She withdrew her hand. "Don't you dare flirt with me, Cassiopeiae," she growled. He raised his hands in surrender.

"Okay, okay, Miss Fussy...." he leaned forward slightly and looked at her hips "skirt thing." He leaned back and grinned at her. Her eyes flared. She grabbed him by the collar and jerked him to her level painfully.

"Keep your mouth shut and your hands to yourself, if you know whats best for you," she spat. Vulcan flinched in pain and tried to pull free, but she had him tight.

"How... how are you that strong?" he asked disbelievingly, trying to look at her hand as she gripped his jacket. "You're like... tiny."

Nova smiled grimly and let go. "I heard you were in the army. You're a wimp."

Vulcan barked a laugh. He looked at the King, his thumb jerked in Nova's direction. "What's she doing here? For that matter, why am I here?"

The King and Queen, who had watched their bantering with patient amusement, smiled. Both of them. At the same time. It was freaky. "You are here," said the King, "to guide our son, Leonis, to Earth. It--"

"Earth?" cried Nova, then looked horrified and quickly bowed again. "Forgive me, Your Majesties. I spoke out of turn."

The King waved it off. "It is well. Speak your concern." His eyes twinkled. "You seemed to have one."

Nova blushed, and nodded meekly. Vulcan stared at her. "My concern, Your Majesties, is that Earth is a..." she appeared to struggle for a word, "poor planet. It is not well cared for. I know it is the only life-supporting planet in this solar-system, but really, Your Majesties..." she spread her hands pleadingly.

"I understand your concern, Miss Arcturus, but you yourself spoke the truth: it is the only inhabitable planet for a century's travel in any direction. We are war, Miss Arcturus." Suddenly the King looked very old. His wife took his hand and he smiled at her, then returned his attention to the two people in front of him. "The war has gone badly, and we are concerned for Prince Leonis. He should leave this planet in case..." he trailed away silently. Nova and Vulcan were very still. The Queen picked up her husband's trail.

"The Prince will return when the war is over. A message will be sent to you three." Nova and Vulcan froze, staring blankly at the Queen. She laughed softly. "You two have been chosen to guide the Prince in his new life in Earth. We do not know what you will find there, nor what will happen. He will need protection. You have each been chosen for your special talents. Mr. Cassiopeiae-- yes, Miss Arcturus, even he," the Queen said this because Nova had made a little noise of protest "he is not how he appears. He was ranked second in his class, despite his..." the corners of the Queen's mouth twitched, but she fought it down. "...mannerisms. He will be a friend to Lionis, where you," she turned to Nova, "ranked top in your class, has many recommendations from the commanders of the Royal Guard,"

Ah, thought Vulcan. That was where her uniform is from. No woman that stiff would wear a cape that color without being commanded to.

"and has the most skill with a bow that I have seen in my life," finished the Queen. Nova's eyes widened. The Queen smiled. "Yes, Miss Arcturus, you heard me correctly. 'I have seen.' I saw promise from you since you entered the Academy, and I have tracked your progress, including visiting a few of your weapons lessons."

Nova was blushing furiously. She bowed. "Thank you, Your Majesty," she said, almost in a whisper.

"You are most welcome."

"You are both invited to dine with us this evening," said the King. "In that way you can meet Prince Lionis in a less formal setting before you leave tomorrow. Mr. Cassiopeiae, we are sorry you were not able to rest more -- we heard of your injury -- but the need is urgent. You may go."

Vulcan and Nova bowed once more and exited the throne room, glaring daggers at each other. The royal couple could overhear Nova saying to Vulcan, "you will behave yourself. We will still be in front of the King and Queen. Don't eat like a pig."

"How do you know I even eat like a pig?" asked Vulcan indignantly. Their voices trailed away before the King and Queen could hear more. The Queen looked at the King.

"You really think this will work, love?" The King nodded firmly.

"Those two will be good for each other, and together they should be able to help Lionis in his new life."

"New life..." Lyra started to cry. Rigel stood, walked over to the throne next to his, helped Lyra stand, and hugged her tightly. She clung to him as she cried. "My baby... My baby..."​

Prince Leonis waltzed into the dining room, smirking at the sight of maids and waiters setting the table, bringing in food, and giving him a slight bow when passing by, muttering, "Your Highness." His parents, the king and queen, were currently in the hallway, speaking in hushed tones. He didn't really care what they were saying, probably didn't matter, but he had noticed the sad look on his mother's face.

The day before, he'd been in his room playing the world's most boring game of chess with one of the servants. It was painfully obvious that she had been letting him win, even though he knew for a fact he would have won either way. He had heard his father ordering for Nova Arcturus and Vulcan Cassiopeiae to report in the throne room. This made Leon interested. He'd heard those names before--something about them being the top of their classes--but he was curious as to what was going on. Shouldn't the two top students be out there fighting in the war?

He's stood from the game of chess, the servant shuffling with the pieces in a flustered rush, and went to the door. He put his ear to it, but the only thing he heard was his mother's crying.

Hours later, he was told that they would be having dinner with Vulcan and Nova and next day.

Now, he stood in the dining room, watching everyone hurrying about to make everything perfect. Leon looked forward to meeting Vulcan and Nova, but he wasn't sure of the occasion. He could only wonder what was going on as he watched his parents come into the room.

*Blushieblushie* Awww thankies. I really try, and the first post is easily the easiest post. You can set the setting and everything. You don't need to top me. I assure you: my writing will not always be this good. I worked on it the entire time I was awake and in the house yesterday.))

Once preparations were complete, the King and Queen walked into the room. Lyra and almost burst into tears again when she saw her son, already in the dining hall. Rigel took her hand and guided her to the first chair on the right of the table. Normally the Queen would sit opposite him, at the other end of the table, but his wife needed support, and he knew it. He took the seat at the head, then nodded at his son to take the first on the left. When he had, he called to the guard at the door to open it for their two guests, which he had assumed would be waiting outside. Only one was.

Nova strode into room until she was a little ways behind the farthest chair. She bowed deeply to the King and Queen, her long hair sliding over her shoulders. "Your Majesties." She turned to the Prince and bowed just as deeply. "Your Highness. I am honored to be here."

"You are welcome to be here," returned the King and gestured for her to take the seat next to the Prince. Nova did so with rigid refinement, first bowing her head to the Prince before sitting in the seat pulled out for her by a servant. She looked around.

She had never been here before, which made entire sense. She was of the Royal Guard, but she was still young, but very powerful, so she was placed in the fray, separated from her fellow RGs. Nova spent her time at the top of the gate to the Middle Town, picking off the groups that attempted to break down the gates. She was to stay there unless the door was broken down, and then she would fly on her swift feet to the castle, itself, to take up position with her fellow RGs.

She had liked the arrangement, so when she was called away from her position she was more than a little frustrated. But the King and Queen rose above all, so she lowered her bow, tucked it away as only she could, and took a ride on a cart to the castle. Once inside she had spent twenty minutes freshening up -- one must never go to the King and Queen as though they had come straight from battle, after all -- and then she was on her way to the throne room. She had received many curious glances; the suit of the Royal Guard was well known, but to see a girl, barely a woman, and one so small, in the garb was a shock indeed. Nova had ignored the looks. She was used to them.

In her time in the Academy she had been scorned and taunted. A girl so tiny, in the Royal Guard?! Pah, ridiculous! No one thought she could do it. But she had resolve, a quick mind, great skill, hidden muscles, and the ability to shut out the words of nae-sayers. She rose through the class very quickly, then her bigger classmates began to notice that she was suddenly way ahead of them, and she earned their respect.

Along the journey she had lost tolerance for idiots, flirts, and failures. She hardly ever smiled now, and could be scary serious. This was the new Nova Arcturus, and when she was told that she was to be relied upon to protect the Prince -- she was not thrilled, per say, but she was pleased -- she would rise to the challenge and keep him from all dangers. Including that bumbling idiot Cassiopeiae -- how was he supposed to benefit? Screw top marks, he was a complete fool!

So she sat, stiff as a board, looking around subtly.

"So... Miss Arcturus, do you know where Mr. Cassiopeiae is?"

Nova's mouth twisted. "Forgive me, Your Majesty, but if that fool comes at all, it will not be for a long time."

"Hm. We shall wait for him, for a time."

So they waited. When several minutes had passed the King ordered with a sigh that supper should be served. They were through the appetizer and soup and were just starting on the salad when Vulcan burst through the doors, trying to tuck his shirt in and attach the clasps on his jacket at the same time as he stumbled down the hall. When Vulcan reached the table his shirt was still sticking out of his pants half-way, and he had started the clasps two off from where they were supposed to be and hadn't even attached four. His hair was an utter mess and his eyes were wild. "S-Sorry, Your Majesties," he gasped into a bow, still trying to tuck his shirt in. "I lost track of the time."

"Lost track of the time?" asked Nova, scandalized. "How could you loose track of time to dine with the King and Queen?"

"Well," a half-smile suddenly quirked onto his lips and he winked at her, "I was busy with other things. I have been missed."

"Ugh!" cried Nova and she looked away, pleading with her eyes for the King to do something. But the King was smiling too.

"Sit down, Mr. Cassiopeiae." He pointed at the chair next to the Queen. "We have just finished the soup."

"Oh, good, because I am famished."

It took everything in Leon's power to not stare at Nova. He admired her story, at least, the small amount he'd heard of it. He loved hearing the awesome storied of all the people who faught, reading the history books, listening to retired veterans go on and on about their time. All Leon had ever done was sit in a castle trying to be the face of perfection. He wasn't interested in getting married someday, all he wanted to do was go out and experience things that all the legends have!

When Vulcan arrived, Leon grinned. He wanted so badly to be like that guy--while Leon had the looks, Vulcan had the story and the uniform. Vulcan didn't seem to care that he was in the face of royalty either, and that Leon admired all the more.

He looked at his plates of food, which he hadn't eaten much of, then back up. He cleared his throat, directing his attention to his parents.

"Is there a reason that these two are here with us? Not to be rude or anything, it just seems there is some sort of occasion I have not been informed of..?" His mother didn't look very pleased. In fact, it seemed as though she may burst into tears at any given moment.

Nova frowned and he eyes snapped to Vulcan's, who looked as confused as she felt. The Prince didn't know? She had not anticipated this. What if he refused? They were already here. What if he cried? Nova shifted uncomfortably. She couldn't deal with the Prince crying.

Vulcan was having thoughts along those same lines, but in his own way. Damn, he thought. We can't go with a kid that doesn't want to go. And I'll have to go back to the war! I'll do anything to keep from going back there. I'll convince the kid. Vulcan studied the 'kid'. As it turned out, he wasn't much of a kid. In fact, he looked older than Vulcan. But not by that much. Vulcan guessed that was why he was supposed to be the Prince's friend. He knew for a fact that Nova was eighteen, because she had left the Academy a year before he had, but Lionis looked... well, anyone could look older than Nova. He looked at her and tilted his head, a slow smile growing on his face. Actually... he looked at her slender neck and slim shoulders. She didn't exactly look like a kid. She had the womanly figure that Vulcan was such a fan of. Just flatter in a very important area. But then Nova noticed his attention to her chest, and the look she gave him shrank him back. Man, what a rigid woman. She didn't know what she was missing. No matter; he would work on her. Carefully. He didn't want to get hurt.

Then he realized the King was speaking, and he whipped his attention to him in time to catch, "we believe it is for the best. We, your Mother and I, have spoken many times, and have come to the final decision that you will go to Earth. That is why these two admirable warriors are here; they are going to go with you, to protect you and help you adjust. You cannot stay here. Do you understand?"

Leon gaped, he shook his head. His expression contorted into anger as he pushed out his chair some. "What? You mean, I'm supposed to lounge around on some barely inhabitable planet, while everyone stays here and fights in the war?! That makes no sense! I should be here, fighting along with my own people! I want to be out there! I could play an important part in battle!"

Leon glared at everyone sitting at the table. "You all just decided on this without me? What made you think I would want to go?" He pointed to Nova and Vulcan. "These two should be out there fighting right now, not escorting someone to another planet who doesn't even need help. Thanks for the offer, but I'm declining."

The King shifted something somehow that made an aura of authority and power come radiating off him, rushing over the company like a tidal wave, blasting them back. Or, at least for Vulcan. He almost fell out of his chair. He had never experienced such a thing before.

"Lionis, you are going," said the King in a way that allowed for no debate. "Earth is more than habitable, it is habited. The Earthlings -- humans -- cover the planet. You will not be without a purpose, either. You are to go to Earth as an emissary to make first contact, and to ask for their help. We do not know," he shot a glance at Nova, "how far advanced it is, but whether or not it can take place in our war, you can not. You are the Crown Prince. If something happens to your mother and I, then you will be King. You cannot be in the line of fire. You are too valuable. Whether or not your mother and I pass in this war, you are the only heir unless you marry and have an child. You are going to Earth, and Miss Arcturus and Mr. Cassiopeiae will be with you to protect you. You have only had the most rudimentary lessons in defending yourself. And we have no knowledge what you will find on Earth. You will go with Miss Arcturus and Mr Cassiopeiae, and you are leaving tomorrow."

His expression was completely unreadable. Leon wanted to throw his chair across the room and storm off, he wanted to tell his parents off, he wanted to cry after hearing that he'd have absolutely no part in the war here. But of course, he did none of those things. His jaw was set tight, his fists clenched so hard under the table his knuckles were white.

He wished he'd been born into another family, wished be could go out there and fight for his own people and planet. But no, he was born into a royal family that decided they only wanted to have one kid! What angered Leon most was how they talked about him like he was an object. Deciding all of this without his consult. Calling him valuable. They may as well give the crown to a carrot stick, considdering the amont of choice he is ever given.

All in all. . . he knew better than to back talk his father.

"Fine." He muttered through gritted teeth. He sat there silently and stiffly, plunging his fork into an innocent bunch of lettuce. He didn't eat it, but rather, put his fork down and looked around the table.

Vulcan saw that Lionis wasn't happy about the arrangement, but as long as he said yes, Vulcan was good. So he buried his fork in the salad and tore it apart, finishing it in minutes. He looked at a servant with a certain pleading look in his eye, and his plate was refilled. He tore into it again, and when he was done with the second plate, he breathed.

He looked up at Leonis. Jabbing his fork in his direction he said, "hey, man, really. You don't want to be in the war. It's rough. It may sound like fun and games, but it ain't. Protecting King and country," he flicked his fork and nodded his head at the King, "sounds cool. I thought so too. But when you get out there? Whoo." He slumped back in his chair. "It ain't cool.

"Nova here," he didn't the same gestures toward Nova as he had toward the King, "she's got it easy. She's part of the Royal Guard, which means she gets to sit there and pick at her fingernails, waiting for the King to be assassinated. Ah--" he glanced at the King guiltily and corrected his statement. "Attempted to be assassinated. We all know the King is too smart to let an assassin anywhere near him, and his guards," again the fork moved, "are far too skilled for anyone to get close, but..." he looked suddenly like he regretted his words, or at least where they were headed. He tried to pass it off with a nonchalant shrug, but it turned out looking as though he had a serious twitch. "It could happen, which is why you're goin' to Earth. If nothin' happens, the war ends," Vulcan shrugged again, this time successfully, "you'll come back. No problem. Everybody's happy.

"Besides," he glanced at the King and Queen, leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially, "you'll be on a new planet. You'll be able to do whatever you want. Total freedom. You could actually meet some girls." Vulcan studiously avoided Nova's eyes. "That would be great, wouldn't it? I bet you've never even kissed a girl."

Nova's inhalation could be heard throughout the whole room. Vulcan couldn't hold back a laugh. He flopped back into his chair, spread his hands and said to Lionis, "seriously. This girl. What's with her? You'd think she didn't even want to have kids, since that would be getting within a yard of a guy."

Nova's fury radiated off her, and anyone who looked at her would have seen a woman so rigid and with such high shoulders, that you would think that she was stuck that way. "Cassiopeiae," began Nova, with a voice constraining so much anger that it shook, "if you speak of my preferences away from complete cretins, do not use that minuscule brain of yours to assume I don't want children. You are one of the worst men I have ever been around, but for the sake of fulfilling my job and obeying my King and Queen, I shall not murder you in cold blood."

Vulcan stared at her, then burst out howling.

The entire time Vulcan spoke to him, Leon's expression was contorted into something of confusion, his eyebrow raised. Of course, he'd never kissed a girl! And he did want to be out there. He didn't care if it was fun or cool or not, he wanted to fight for his people. Leon watched between Nova and Vulcan, as far as he knew, the two had just met, but they bickered like siblings. Though, the way Vulcan spoke of Nova and the Royal Guard, he did not approve of.

"Will you two please stop?" He asked in a hard voice, like his father's. "If you're going to be going with me to Earth, then," he glared daggers at Vulcan, "you had better learn some manners and figure out how to keep your mouth shut at certain times. And you," he turned his gaze to Nova, but not at harsh, "had best not threaten your colleague, you could call him. If something were to happen to him, guess who they'll probably look at first."

He pushed the rest of his food away, full. He turned to his parents. "I've eaten my fill, may I be excused?"

As Vulcan heard Leonis's tone he thought, Boo, gotta loosen you up, but he nodded respectfully, thinking of all the ways that he wouldn't learn manners. Leonis turned his attention to Nova, and Vulcan scowled at the look in his eyes. He obviously wasn't angry at her like he was at Vulcan. That wasn't fair. Nova was a uptight bore, and Vulcan was fun. Vulcan was supposed to be the Prince's friend on Earth, and Nova was supposed to protect them. He should be stiff and formal to her, and loose and awesome with him.

Nova bowed awkwardly in her seat, bumping her head accidentally against the Prince's shoulder. Her head flew back, her eyes wide, a slight blush on her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Your Highness!" she said, a bit higher than what might be expected.

The King sighed and nodded. "Yes, Leonis. You may go. But you are leaving at eight tomorrow, so you will be in the portal chamber by that minute."

Leon nodded at his father and stood. He looked at Nova and gave her a small smile. "Don't worry about it--And please, just call me 'Leon'." With that, he pushed in his chair and walked out of the room, silently cursing his parents for their stupid decision. Once he got to his room, he decided a shower was probably in order--Earth's water supply was probably contaminated.

Nova turned back to the King. "The Prince--"

"He told you to call him Leon."

Nova shot a glare at Vulcan, then continued. "He seems like he doesn't want to go."

"Understatement of the year."

"I am not sure I will be able to control him when we are on Earth. He may want to come back."

"He will want to come back."

"Is there a way to prevent him from coming back?"

"The portal," said the King, "will take about half-an-hour to close, so you only need to keep him away for that long." Nova looked dismayed. The King smiled. "Don't worry; I believe in you. Besides, you will have Mr. Cassiopeiae to help."

"Yeah, I'll help. I don't want to come back. We could drag him or something. You're freakishly strong. Or!" He snapped his fingers. "Better idea! You distract him by dancing!" Vulcan wiggled slightly in his seat.

Nova pushed herself up from her seat by her hands on the table, a look of utter loathing in her eyes.

"Miss Arcturus..." warned the Queen quietly.

Nova sat back down, slowly, her eyes still on Vulcan.

They finished their meal in relative peace, Vulcan only bursting into laughter every time he saw Nova glowering at him. When they were finished, the two guests stood, then the King and Queen, and they headed for the door they had entered from. Nova raced after them.

"Your Majesties," Vulcan heard her say, but the rest of her speech was lost in her whispers. She was gesticulating violently, so Vulcan had a good idea what -- or rather, who -- she was talking about. Finally, after several moments, Nova lost it and cried, "PLEASE!" Vulcan burst out laughing. A moment after that, Nova was coming back down the hall, looking utterly defeated. She didn't even glance at Vulcan as she passed, instead walking straight for the doors and disappearing past them.

Vulcan gave the King and Queen and short bow behind their backs an left too, a smirk on his face. This would be fun.

The next day, Leon was hanging by the door outside his room. It was ten-till eight and he really didn't want to head to that portal room. He could only imagine the look on his father's face, though, as he would appear even one minute late. Though, in all honestly, the worst punishment they could give him would be to send him to Earth and keep him there forever. Now that thought made him sigh.

So he began walking down the hallway toward the room, ignoring the servants that bustled past, muttering and calling him "Your Highness", either without emotion, or flustered. He always hated it. He tried getting them to call him 'Leon', but even his parents called him Leonis and the servants refused to call him anything other than what they already do.

He began thinking about his meeting with Vulcan and Nova. He really hoped the two would get their act together. He wondered if--what if the two were busy fighting after he went through the portal? Maybe he could somehow get a chance to slip back. But all thoughts of escape aside, Nova was a charming woman with herself set straight. Vulcan... well, he was an interesting case. You'd think that after all the training they went through, he'd have learned a thing or two of manners and how to act. Leon didn't mind going on a trip with the two, but he had a feeling he'd have to interfere every now and if they start snapping at each other.

He made it to the portal room, two minutes to spare.

Nova had been there for a half an hour already. She leaned against the wall, reading a small book. When Leon came in she slipped the book into a pack that was slung across her chest. She bowed. "Your Hi-- Leon." She forced a smile, obviously uncomfortable about calling him by his name. She was at a sudden loss for words. What do you say to a prince that was going to go with her to a foreign planet for who knew how long?

"How... how are you?" She cringed. She knew how he was. He was angry -- furious, even -- that he was being forced to leave his home when it was at war. "What do you like doing?" The words left her mouth choppily. Not only was she unfamiliar with small-talk, but she was completely unfamiliar with hobbies. Did she even have any?

Thankfully she was spared from actually speaking with him when the King and Queen entered the room, the Queen's head down and a handkerchief clutched to her mouth. Nova bowed deeply to them. The King looked around and frowned.

"Where is Mr. Cassiopeiae?"

Nova jaw tightened and her fists clenched. Figures.

The King poked his head back out of the room and spoke to a servant waiting outside, who ran off. A few minutes later he was back. Vulcan had had a little more time to get his clothes in order this time, so his shirt was in his pants, if sloppily, and half the clasps on his jacket were together. He was trying to clasp the next as he came in. He looked up, noting first Nova's glare, which was nothing new, Leon's look of slight frustration (((I'm just guessing that how he's feeling. Tell me if I'm wrong and I'll change it in an instant))), the Queen's tears, and finally the King's ragefull eyes. Apparently he had had enough of Vulcan's crap. Vulcan blushed in embarrassment and dropped into a bow, staying down for a long time.

"Which girl were you with?" asked the King coldly. Vulcan's back shot straight and his eyes were very wide.

"Your Majesty?"

This time the King spoke through gritted teeth. "You heard me."

Vulcan desperately wanted to ask why, but no way in hell do you ask a furious King why. "Uh... Luna Pollux."

"Did she know you well?"

Vulcan blushed again. "Yes, Your Majesty."

The King nodded. "She will be punished."

Vulcan jerked forward, looking horrified. "No! Your Majesty, no! It wasn't her fault I was late!"

"It was if she knew you well. You have a habit of being late. Before I chose you to go with my son, I checked your Academy records. You were late for seventy-four percent of all of your classes you had in the Academy. You were in the Academy seven years, Mr. Cassiopeiae. Seventy-four percent. You should be utterly ashamed of yourself. How you have gotten away with treating your life in such a way, I can't imagine. Your professors never should have allowed for it. Excellent grades do not excuse this behavior. I thought it was rather amusing at first, but you are a man now. Irresponsibility like this should have been removed long ago. Miss Pollux, knowing you, should have made sure to awaken you long before now. You boasted of your mission to her as much as you possibly could last night -- am I wrong?"

Vulcan shook his head mutely, his m0uth hanging slightly open.

"She knew that you needed to be awake and here by eight. You or she could have done any number of things to make sure you were ready on time, including her waking you up. I know for a fact that women have the uncanny ability to wake up when they need to. All of my life, every woman I have met have been able to control themselves like this. If Miss Pollux really cared about you, she would have made sure you were on time so this would not happen. As it is, since I cannot punish you, I must punish her. Maybe that will get it through your head that this kind of behavior is unacceptable. You will still go with my son. You will still help guide him in his new life. You will still be a friend to him. But you will take it seriously. Do I make myself clear?" The King hadn't broken eye contact for a moment in his lecture, and Vulcan was too terrified to be able to break it.

Vulcan stepped forward and lowered himself to one knee. "Please, Your Majesty, I beg that you not punish Luna. It was my fault entirely. I will take my responsibility seriously. I swear, Your Majesty. But please," he raised his chin to look the King in his eyes the best he could, "do not punish Luna. She is innocent. Please." He lowered himself further, kneeling on the ground. He took the King's hand and bent his head over it. "Please."

The King took his other hand and placed it on Vulcan's head. "I believe you. She will not be punished. Stand, and ready yourself."

Vulcan stood. "Thank you, You Majesty," he murmured. He stepped away from the King, head still bowed, and stood at the edge of a deeply carved circle in the stone floor, the first of many between rows of strange words that led to small raised dais, about big enough for a man to stand in.

(Nah, you got it!!!)

As Nova attempted talking, Leon could only smile. He would have answered one of her questions, but his parents entered the room, causing his mind to go back to the idiocy of the plan. He scanned the room for Vulcan, who entered the room in a bit of a mess--late. Leon couldn't contain his amused grin while his father threatened to punish poor Luna, watching Vulcan's reaction.

When the conversation was finished though, Leon went back to his original thoughts and feelings. He began a plan of slipping back through the portal when Vulcan and Nova were busy arguing about something stupid. He stood where he was, clearly still unhappy, hands shoved in his pockets.

Nova couldn't believe it. She could not. Vulcan had behaved in a way she didn't know was possible, and she was too stunned to be able to feel any emotion about it. She hadn't known he even knew about kneeling on one knee before your King, or even further, with one's head bowed over the King's hand. These were things Nova had never thought she would see in her life. And from Vulcan. Maybe he could actually be serious. Maybe he would actually do as he had said he would -- be responsible.

She glanced at Leon and was displeased to see a smile on his lips. What Vulcan was doing was of the utmost importance. It should be taken very, very seriously. Vulcan had expressed honest fright at the threat to harm the girl he had been with. He actually cared about her. He may bounce from girl to girl in a disgusting fashion, but at least he didn't think of the girls as only playthings. If he had he wouldn't have defended her.

Now he stood by the outermost ring, downcast and looking repentant, and, well... sad. Why did he look sad? Did he regret his promise -- to behave like he should? That wouldn't surprise her that much, but really, he just looked sad that it had come so close to an innocent girl taking his punishment. She liked that better, but she was still having trouble thinking of him as repentant.

The King gestured with his hand. "Leonis, be ready to take Vulcan's place. Miss Arcturus, after him." Nova nodded and moved to stand behind the Prince. "It's time," said the King, looking between the three travelers, and the Queen burst into sobs and ran to her son, crying into his shoulder until her husband pulled her away. "Lyra..." he whispered and she allowed herself to be led away. The King came back and stood on the other side of the circles, opposite Nova and Leon. Vulcan turned around to face him.

The King looked at the three of them solemnly and said, "I trust you. Do not let me down." The words had a different meaning for each person. Vulcan bowed and as he did Rigel lifted his hands and murmured something that no one could catch.

Nova watched as a single plume of fire shot from the ground, rose to cover Vulcan's head, flashed white, then lowered and disappeared. Vulcan was gone. Nova had had no idea the King possessed magic. It was forbidden, but for the King...

The King nodded at Leon. "You next." When Leon stood on the dais, the Rigel lifted his hands again, repeated the words, and as his son disappeared in flame he said loudly enough so that the Prince would hear, "goodbye, Leon."

Nova took the dais without being told to and bowed to the King of Mewni a final time. "Goodbye, Your Majesty. I will not let you down."

"I believe you. Goodbye, Nova."

And everything was flames.

Leon muttered a quick "goodbye" before everything erupted in flames. When the fire burned out, he found himself standing next to Vulcan on a beach. Behind them was a fiery portal back to Mewni. Soon, Nova appeared to his other side, but Leon turned and began to take in the landscape. There were very few Earthlings on the beach, and the sun was just beginning to rise in the east, the moon has long set. Those who were on the beach so early this morning paid them no attention, seemingly too busy with their own pathetic lives to notice the portal and three people emerging from it.

Back