BrookeDi

Benefactor
Welcome to your junior year at Altsoba School of Sorcery!

I'll be posting some information throughout the day that you should look over. Some of it is things your character might know. Some of it are things that your character will definitely know, and some information is just for your knowledge as a writer. There will also be some repeated information from the interest check.

Once the In Character thread is up and going, I'll also utilize the tabs (maybe I'll do that for here, too, we'll see) to provide some quick reference information while writing posts.

Now, I've written a lot of information about this world, so don't feel you have to read through it all at once and you definitely won't have to read all of it, but I intend for this to be a thread in which we can all go back and review if there are questions, or whatever.

Of course, @Ailis and I are available if you have questions about the world, the lore, etc.

Starting the year...
The role play will begin at the beginning of the school year. We're in the second week of school, approximately one week from the Gift Ceremony. Everyone is still getting in the flurry of starting a new school year, catching up with old friends, etc. Feel free to create existing relationships with other players and be prepared to at least go with the idea that you’ve probably known most of these students since grade school.

School Information
Altsoba School of Sorcery has been around for several years. You can read about the school’s founding, if you’re interested, here (no harm if you don’t read it--I wrote it for fun, and would like to finish telling the story, but that’s all it is).

At the start of their first year in high school each student is given a cloak. As they grow, so will the cloak. As they reach significant achievements in magic, the enchanted cloak will gain designs to represent these successes. Once the student has declared their gift, the lining of their cloak will change to reflect that announcement.

The Gift Ceremony is one of the most important days in any wizard’s life. Generally by that time they already are aware what their gift is, but this is a formal declaration of what your magic is going to be dedicated to for the rest of your life. The Year 11 students go through a processional until they are all lined on the stage (generally in 2-4 rows of students), alphabetically. Each student will go to the center of the stage and after a small performance of their ability, announce to the gathered audience that they will be specializing in whatever their gift is. Then they return to their spot in line.

Once the last person has returned the inner lining of the cloaks will change from the traditional, undeclared black to a vibrant color representation of their announced gift.

Blue for water.
Red for fire.
Green for earth.
Grey for wind.
Brown for fauna.

The recessional will then begin and the newly declared sorcerers will exit the room.

The school itself is located in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. Students in Grade 11 and up will often make school trips (with parent/guardian permission, of course) into town. You can look up pictures, but I’ll provide some in the In Character thread. The school has dorms on two sides of the school: The girls are on the East Wing and the boys are in the West Wing.

There are four students to a suite. Each student has their own bedroom within the suite with a shared living and bathroom space.

college-hall-300x288.jpg

Some further background on the set up:

There is a middle school (grades 6-8; ages 11-14) and is kept separate from the high school. Magic starts showing in children but doesn’t really develop until at around 11. In this school the children are taught how to control their magic, where it stems from, and the like. The “fun” stuff doesn’t start until they reach grade 9. The school is located in Canada but is the school for all of North America and some of the surrounding islands.

This RP does take place in modern times, however there are no electronics on the campus. It is completely off the grid in that respect for a couple reasons, one of being so that the students can learn to survive without relying on modern technology.

Other Information:
During the course of the summer, for those of you with observant characters or those inclined to read a newspaper/watch the news, your character may have heard some terrifying rumors. Deaths of sorcerers all over the world have increased in drastically in the last two years. Many of them are all pretty suspect, but there have been quite a few reports of sorcerers found with their head removed from their bodies and their hearts removed from their chest. Deaths like these haven’t been seen since the time of Hunters… Rest assured, though, authorities are aware of the matter and they’ve made it explicitly clear that there is no way that hunters are making a return. Nothing to worry about at all!

Some of your characters may have heard rumors of a secret society within the magical community. For those inclined to believe such things, the rumors say the society started at Altsoba and has since spread across the world. It’s believed that people belonging to this society are in powerful positions in governments and as CEOs, etc. It’s believed they have an agenda they’re pushing, but that’s where the rumors begin to vary.

Here is some other helpful information
a Q&A sheet

All the Magical Creatures

Generic info on sorcerers, hunters, and the difference. Spoiler: it all comes down to genetics.

Additional Setting Information. This has some additional information from when it was ran before. If your character is inclined to believe rumors, I would check out the stuff about Vitam et Mortem.

Magical Laws and the Legal System
The legal system isn't so much relevant for this setting, but the laws are there if you're curious. Again, this was mostly made for my entertainment.

Potions and spells will be posted in an IC tab.

Make sure you check the Attendance tab on the IC thread for rooming information. :>

Back