Vitam et Mortem IC - Altsoba School of Sorcery

Eva was distracted enough that it didn't quite register with her that there was another person there. When she did her distracted thoughts shifted to the obvious tension between the cousins.

Her steps slowed and she flinched a little when Gregori brushed past her. There was obviously something going on here but it wasn't her business, not that any of it made sense.

Setting aside the food, to be kept warm until after their training session, her eyes shifted to Nito. "Sorry, I got held up by Anthony's roommate." She glanced over her shoulder where Gregori had stormed off. "Feel free to tell me to mind my business," she started, "but is everything... Are you okay?" Her question was hesitant, shy, but she was concerned for the young cyromancer and whatever was going on with the person he held the closest relationship with at this school.

"I...am fine. It is Gregori that concerns me. He's troubled by the recent developments, as we all are, I'm sure. But he doesn't deal with deaths very well." During the explanation, Nito would fix Eva with his gaze, the frown's intensity lessening by a degree. Unlike Gregori, the ice sorcerer's face didn't portray what he might be thinking, or feeling. All of Nito's emotions manifested in his eyes. Hurt, shame, anger, righteousness, concern, and adoration all warred for dominance in those hauntingly pale eyes.

"Before you ask, I am coping as well as I can with what has happened. I...am trying not to let it distract me. I plan to redouble my regimen." He'd draw closer to her, examining the tray of food she brought. "As much fun as I had being by your side for the trip, before the unpleasantness of course, I did fall behind in the schedule I had set for myself. No matter. It was worth it to be close to you, if only for a day."

He'd reach for a couple pieces of bacon, and a muffin. Little did she know that Nito hadn't slept last night. He'd spent all night, from curfew to sunrise, out by the lake, more or less playing in the snow. Dodging prefects and professors on night duty. Practicing. Frolicking. Walking as far out onto the lack as he dared without magic, and further beyond with the aid of the arcane. It was no wonder that, upon closer inspection, the bags under his eyes were so much heavier than usual. "...How are you dealing with all this? Do you...need anything? I'm here, if you do."

She nodded. Some people were taking the death of Hayato fairly hard, including those who didn't know him. Two deaths from members of the school was freaking a lot of people out.

"I'm sorry for the distraction," she admitted but her worried expression lessened and she smiled. She replayed the words in her head and she had to fight to keep the smile from widening. Unlike Nito, her face was easy to read most days.

"I'm... okay. I didn't know Hayato very well," she admitted. "So, it's sad but I guess it doesn't register that deeply for me?" She shrugged a little, examining the dark circles under his eyes. He needed more sleep. "Just ready to learn." She popped her own piece of bacon into her mouth and left the rest for after.

Max smiled up at Monique. It was a bit forced, but there was actual happiness in it. He did love the snow. But that wasn't why he was smiling. He knew he loved his girlfriend, and what she was doing for him, calming him, distracting him, trying to cheer him up... well, it strengthened those feelings.

Sure, Hayato's death had weighed on his mind. They hadn't been the closest, but they had known each other. The sudden loss... the fact that he was never coming back... it scared Max. That it could have happened to anybody. To him, to his other friends, to Monique.

That last thought had driven him more than anything. It had spurred him to get up earlier that morning to train. He had hardly slept. Looking at Monique, he felt his smile become just a bit less forced. "Yeah, let's do it." He says, putting some vigour into his voice as he pushes away his plate. Wasn't that hungry anyway.

Standing up, he quickly gets around the table to where Monique was waiting for him. Giving her a hug, the duo make their way out of the hall to see the snow.

As Sinclair's eyes fluttered open, the first thing he saw was a ferret's face. Blinking a few times in utter shock, all the memories from the previous day came flooding back. His heart jumped into his throat as he remembered the woman's, no, Hunter's face. Calming himself back down, Sinclair wiped the puddle of drool that had formed in his slumber from the desk. Rubbing his eyes, the young mage stood up from his desk, letting Dot climb up his arm as he did so. Looking around, Sin noticed Ceril, sitting on the window sill.

Then, assured that she was safe, he looked back at his desk. 15 runes greeted his roving gaze. Most of them were failures, only about five were usable. One Ice Serpent, two Fire Serpents, and two Stone Serpents. It had taken him the entire night to create these small, but incredibly useful runes. Gathering the working ones into the pockets of his cloak, Sinclair reached out for Ceril. Putting the little Puca into her usual pocket, the Fauna mage got Dot to nestle around his neck and on his shoulders. Taking a deep breath, Sinclair stepped out of the haphazard mess that he called his room.

Walking quickly, his steps urgent and determined, Sinclair made his way to the headmistress's office. He needed two things. The first, to tell her what he knew, and the second, to get extra lessons. Preferably, he would get these lessons from Prof. Loray as Rune magic would be the best for him. Knocking on the door, Sinclair quickly stepped inside, his heart threatening to beat out of his own chest.

"Excuse me, Professor Hunt, I have some information about Hayato. Also, I need extra lessons with Professor Loray. I'm already talented with runes, so I would very much like to have some extra time with her." To prove his point, Sinclair took out the five runes he brought with him and laid them out on the headmistress's desk. Small beads of sweat began to form on his back and his brow as Sinclair became ever so increasingly nervous and frightened.

Oh god, please let this work!

"Very well." Her answer seemed to please him, at last enough for it to be measured. Drawing his wand from inside his winter cloak, he'd give his wrist a series of quick, precise flicks. All around the two, snow drifts would hurl themselves into the air, covering the two mages in what was practically a contained blizzard, though lacking the wind. "Try your best to grab as much snow from the air as you can. It doesn't matter how much of it hits the ground, so don't focus on the ones you miss. Remember, you need to spread your magic out like a web, so that every piece of snow you try and snare are linked together. Since we have so much ice at our disposal, we can go at this until you're tired."

A bite of his muffin, his eyes lighting up in secretive joy. Maybe after all these weeks she'd memorized his favorite kind, or maybe she'd just picked one and gotten lucky, but Nito absolutely adored it when Eva brought him red currant anything. The ice sorcerer would watch her for awhile, how she moved, what incantations she'd try and speak, every little detail of her performance.

Meghan stayed in bed the entirety of Sunday. The night before she had stayed up late with Vivian and it had been nice, but now she had a lot of reading to do.

Sometimes when Professor Grisham talked, she got the feeling that he knew something she didn’t, something more specific than all the other knowledge he was trying to pass off on her. When she didn’t get something, when she had trouble with a concept he seemed so frustrated and… worried.

So, her Sunday was spent curled up in bed with several books and highlighters as she tried diligently to cram her brain with all the relevant information. In the end, the pages that she had read was looked like the fucking rainbow.

---

Sophie didn’t feel like playing in the snow Sunday, not after the news of a second death, potentially from a hunter. Instead she stayed inside playing a card game with Hazel, lazily using her wand to flip the cards and debating with her friend and the new guy the merits of hunters being real and how many there could potentially be in the world.

---

Most Sundays Professor Hunt was not in her office, but with everything going on with the death of the student Sinclair was lucky enough to find her in her office. Still, she frowned at his sudden appearance, placing her pen down and looking through her glasses at him. He seemed a little frenzied and she was a little surprised by his sudden request for extra time with the runes professor and what that necessarily had to do with the death of Hayato.

"Mr. O'Flaherty," She greeted cooly. "Here you are, in my office, once again." There was no smile to be found on her face, but there often wasn't. "I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, but if you would like extra tutoring with Professor Loray, that is something you will have to take up with her as she would be the one to have to carve time out of her schedule to teach you. Do you feel that you are not getting proper instruction in class?" she sighed, quietly. "And unless you have the name of Mr. Anzai's killer and where we could find her, I believe we have the necessary information regarding him, but please go ahead." There was a chance he could have heard something that was not seen in Loray's rune that had replayed the scene. The headmistress leaned back and patiently waited for Sinclair to tell what he knew.

The headmistress listened intently as Sinclair described what he had seen and then expressed his worry that she would be coming after him next. “I understand your concern,” Professor Hunt soothed, “but if she was worried about you seeing her, she likely wouldn’t have let you just go and wave you off like that. If she truly were a hunter, which there’s no hard proof that she was, then she probably would have gone after you right then and there. You are safe on campus; Altsoba is an incredibly safe place. The only ones who know how to get onto the campus are those that attend this school and it’s employees. If that woman is out there looking for you, she will be unable to find you.

Eyeing the runes on her desk she gently nudged them back in Sinclair’s direction. “If you honestly feel you need the extra time with Professor Loray, as I said previously that is something you will have to take up with her. She is under no obligation to give you additional lessons outside of class time and I cannot force her hand to do so.”

With that, Sinclair was quietly dismissed.

---

Eva was distracted, momentarily, by the flurry of snow around them. The snow had already been mesmerizing to the young girl, but the use of magic with the snow delighted her. The moment passed though and she grew focused, listening intently to Nito's instructions. It was a Sunday, the one day she didn't have practice or class and the day she could spend the most on working with ice. She was determined not to disappoint the cyromancer who patiently took time out of his own training schedule to teach her.

The sorceress stumbled over her words at first, aware of Nito's watchful eyes. It always threw her how intently he would watch, but after a few minutes she would usually be able to move past it and actually focus. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath to refocus her thoughts, she thought about her magic and where it was centered, drawing her energy from there and imagining that it spread from her, as Nito said, like a web gathering individual snow flakes. Then she worked to put that visualization into reality, opening her eyes to pay attention to the flakes that she was catching. The ones that were missed obviously frustrated her, and there were more dropped than gathered, but she didn't quit.

He believed in her, so she believed in herself.

She was very observant, particularly to small details, it is completely possible that Eva has been paying attention to which foods Nito would pick at, ignore, and be most excited about. She was learning to read him every day, having learned that his face would hardly ever be telling but his eyes, they reflected the most information. The choice of muffin had been intentional.

Eva spent the morning and afternoon practicing with Nito and then the rest of the afternoon evening she spent in the girl’s common room studying and doing her homework. They had group work coming up in specialization and she had to study the mechanics of working with a group. Focus and concentration was hard enough on your own, it was bound to be harder to find the proper balance of force and control with different people, too much or too little help from one person could ruin the whole experiment. That thought led her to make a mental note to pack an extra cloak and change of clothes for tomorrow; she had a feeling she’d be soaked by the end of class.

She was heading toward her dorm when she was stopped by Joseph again. “Hey, Eva.” he stepped in front of her and the young sorceress slowed.

“Joseph.”

“No one has seen Anthony all day.”

She tilted her head at him, confused. “He hasn’t been back to his dorm?” Joseph shook his head and she adjusted her backpack. “I haven’t seen him, Joseph.”

He ran his hand through his hair, “I know, I’m just worried about him.”

“I’m sure he can handle himself.” Eva said after a beat and Joseph nodded, but didn’t move. “Maybe you should go talk to Professor Hunt? I know he didn’t have plans to go to Banff yesterday, but maybe he ended up going?” No body had been found but that didn’t mean something hadn’t happened to him.

“Yeah, if he doesn’t turn up by breakfast I’ll go see her.” He still didn’t move and after an uncomfortable silence Eva stepped around him and headed up to her room.

__________________________________________________​

The next morning Eva had to drag herself out of bed for Dueling Practice. They started the hour with thirty minutes of cardio, as if they would be able to increase their endurance in the week before the tournament. Professor Topp was crankier than usual this morning, too, and anytime a student showed signs of slowing down during the run she’d bark at them to pick up the pace.

They spent the next fifteen minutes lining up in front of her as she fired off offensive spells and they had to deflect or block the spell before going to the back of the line so they could go through it again.

The following fifteen minutes they were split into pairs to practice offense and defense in two minute intervals. Eva was usually paired with Ishade but he wasn’t at practice and oddly enough Professor Topp didn’t seem too peeved about it. It wouldn’t be until later that she would find out that Hayato had been her friend’s roommate. She ended up being paired with the professor instead. Practice was extended another fifteen minutes for more running. By the time Eva was showered and dressed and dragging herself to the dining hall she was already craving being back in bed.

Still, she gathered up breakfast for herself and Nito and met him at the lake a little bounce in her step when she caught sight of him.

---

Water

By the time she arrived to specialization class Eva was fully and sleepy and she worried that she would ruin her group's project.

Professor Holcombe stood at the front of the room, all the desks that were usually there were nowhere to be seen, so the students awkwardly stood in the center of the class. “As some of you have probably already forgotten, we are beginning the segment on group and partner work. Magic requires incredible effort, focus, and discipline. It is one thing to work on that on your own, but the true test of your abilities is working with another sorcerer to perform magic.”

He paced the room as he spoke, making eye contact with each student at one point or another. His bushy eyebrows were knitted together as he spoke passionately about the assignment, “Alone a sorcerer can achieve great things but working in tandem with others, a sorcerer can achieve greatness.” He gestured at the class, “We will start in pairs today. By the end of the two weeks, you should be able to work as a class. Today pick someone you're comfortable working with, tomorrow you will work with someone new! Remember, this should be done in silence.”

The assignment was to create and maintain a waterfall from the ceiling to the floor between the student and their partner. If one put too much magic or not enough the wall of water would not hold. By the end of the class they would be expected to wordlessly reverse the direction of the water from floor to ceiling with their partner.

Fire

Like the classroom used for water, the desks were missing in the fire room. Professor Towns, a tall willowy woman, stood in the middle. She greeted the first person through her door the same way she always did: tossing a fireball in their direction. The student was meant to hold it and pass it to the next student through the door and so on. Anyone who lost control, let the fire die out, or missed the fire would be docked a point for the day.

When everyone gathered around her she beamed. “Today starts our segment in fire collaboration.” She gave a similar speech about the importance of being able to work with another sorcerer, “there is some magic that is unachievable on your own. To work poorly with another person can wreak havoc and devastation upon a city! To work properly with other sorcerers, you can attain new heights! Who's ready to begin?”

Several students, hung up on wreaking havoc, exchanged a look and no one really said much. “Great!” she chirped. “Partner up… and Max, Monique, today you may work together but tomorrow please find a new partner.” She moved out of the way as the students milled about. “Move quickly, now.” She urged.

The assignment was to create and control a fire whip, as team without discussion. She wanted it to expand across the room and to be about three feet in width. “The size shouldn't be a problem,” she started and someone whispered, “that's what she said.” Towns ignored it and continued, “but maintaining control, particularly as two individuals, will be your challenge. I don't expect it to be mastered by the end of class.”

She walked around counting heads and then confused asked to the room at large, “Has anyone seen Mr. Zarzuela?” Anthony had a Witch’s Cold last week but she would have thought he would have returned to class by now.

Fauna

Rather than meeting in their usual classroom, the fauna students met up outside regardless of the thick layer of snow on the ground. Professor Green stood bundled up in the clearing near the forest, cloak tightly wrapped around her.

“The past few weeks we have practiced magical summons of small animals: bees, rabbits, rats, snakes, etcetera.” Each letter was clearly enunciated; there was never any trouble understanding what she had to say. “Today we are starting on something bigger and, by the end of this segment, you, as a class working together, will be able to produce a woolly mammoth.” She, too, gave a speech about the necessity of learning to perform magic with another sorcerer.

“If you can learn to focus and be disciplined with someone else, you will see an incredible improvement in your individual practice. Today you will conjure a great Dane with your partner.” She waved her wand and the picture of the dog she was requesting was distributed to each student. “It should look as close to this picture as possible and you should maintain control of your animal. Tomorrow we work on horses. Pair up and begin. Quietly. Not a word should be exchanged.”

For most of the pairs, the conjuring of the animal was the easy part, but forming into the proper size and with the correct details is where most students messed up. One pair had ended up with a two headed dog and both were cringing at the result. Another pair had created a chihuahua but with the head of a pitbull and it was growling at the teens incessantly.

Wind

The wind students were set-up inside with the reinforced walls they usually used for their practical lessons.

Professor Craig was waiting, patiently. She was sitting criss-cross and hovering in the air, eyes closed. The students gathered around, shifting impatiently while they waited. When the last student had entered the room, only then did she open her eyes. A large gust of wind blew the classroom door closed and the professor uncrossed her legs to land lightly on the ground.

“Good morning, students.” She greeted, after a moment all the while, smiling serenely. “Go ahead and find a partner. Today we will be creating tornados!” Her eyes lit with excitement, “Just a small column of air. The goal is to control your tornado. I want it three feet high, exactly. No taller, and no shorter. Two inches wide at the bottom and four feet wide at the top. I will be coming around and measuring for those of you who manage to maintain any sort of proper shape. With proper control you and your partner should be able to maintain the size and proper amount of force. Work with your partner to achieve your goal, do not work against your partner.”

She began walking around the room, casually pairing up students who hadn’t yet done so. “Remember, this should be done without a word to your partner. You must find the balance with the magic, not with your words. Not a word.” Pause. “That means you, Miss Smith.” Cassie smiled sheepishly and made a zipping motion across her lips.

Most of the partners would struggle with getting the right amount of force condensed enough to be able to actually create a tornado, let alone getting it to the proper size, but they had two hours to practice and toward the end a few of them even managed to start getting the shape right. While the students worked, Professor Craig wandered around casually correcting technique and reminding them all about the importance of teamwork!

Earth

Just as the fauna students had been forced outside, so had the earth students. They, however, met in the track field which had been cleared of all snow. Professor Russell stood in the middle as students gathered around him in a semi-circle, chattering away while waiting for instruction.

There was a distinct rumble in the ground beneath them and the talking ceased almost immediately except for a few expletives of admiration.

“Of all the incredible things that earth is capable of, most students seem obsessed with the idea of creating earthquakes. The power to literally shift the world beneath you, to move tectonic plates calls to many of you.” There was a quiet murmur of excitement. “Well, we aren’t going to do that today. We are very close to a town full of humans and none of you have very much control, you could easily destroy it. That would be a ridiculous assignment.” There was several groans of disappointment. “But you will be learning to shift and manipulate rock which will ultimately result in you learning to shift the ground beneath you. By the end of class next week, together you will create an imitation earthquake. You will move the ground, but nothing deeper than that. Pair up.”

He waited for the students to arrange themselves in pairs before continuing, “Today you will be building, shaping, and manipulating these boulders.” He waved his wand and between each pair a five foot boulder would drop. Had they been hovering there the whole time? “Without destroying your material, reshape your rock. No talking. Now, begin.”

He was already pacing through the students and a hand went up, “Figure out what it is you’re trying to create together, Mr. Benson. Feel your partner’s magic and pay attention to what they’re trying to do and build from that. This should be a wordless exchange.” The professor answered the unasked question and the hand went down.

Sinclair trudged out to his class. Going through the snow, he was wearing less layers than everyone else. He was attempting to test out a small rune that he had made the night before. It was for warmth, written in basic agarthian. The runes on the object spelt out: covering warmth. When he first tested it out last night, the damn thing had caught on fire and fairly nearly burnt Sinclair to a crisp as well. As such, he had placed a limiter sequence on the back of the rune.

xQuarternaryCelticSymbolMeaning.jpg.pagespeed.ic.92qC8MxLwe.jpg

After he spent an hour searching through different Limiter Sequences, Sinclair finally found one that would limit flames to a couple degrees of warmth. Carving the Limiter into his rune, Sinclair tested it out again. Thankfully, it didn't try to burn him into a crisp this time. Which leads him to where he was now.

Testing a half-baked rune in the middle of his Fauna class. Thankfully, it worked. It worked well enough that he could actually walk around in the snow in nothing more than he usually wore.

Reflecting on the happenings of the previous day, Sinclair began to listen to the teacher, Professor Green. He had went to the Headmistress yesterday, and she had turned him down like a lost puppy. Then, turning to his last resort, Sinclair went and talked to Professor Loray herself, which did not end well. Basically, she told him he was an idiot that couldn't possibly be good enough for her to waste her time on, and that there was no way that he could produce a rune that could possibly impress her. SHe also told him not to try and make one since he was stupid enough to kill himself in the process.

Distraught, Sinclair had trudged himself to the library for the rest of the day. He pulled out several books about several different things. Mainly, Atlantean, if he could get a good understanding of this language, then he might be able to convince Loray to teach him more. Then, retreating to his singular dorm room, the young Fauna mage began to plan out his Rune System. The goal was to create a portable lamp.

The plan was still in progress, but Sinclair was thinking of using Nordic, Agarthian, and Atlantean for this project.

His thoughts returning to his current class, Sinclair sought out one of his fellow classmates. Looking around, he noticed that Ishade wasn't in the class. Wondering as to why, the young mage noticed another student standing by himself. Adrian, was it? Anyways, Sinclair walked up to his fellow mage and held out his hand, a small ferret's head poked out from his sleeve as he did so.

"uuuuh, Hello, Adrian, right? Want to team up?" Sinclair, based off of most of his interactions with people, didn't expect the guy to agree, but who knows. Maybe he will?

Last edited:
Ishade's sunday was spent in his dorm along with another of his suitemates. They brought in some food at breakfast and they had some stuff the other two guys had bought before the accident happened the day before. They basically spent their time studying and practising some basic spells, not very eager to go anywhere else.
One of them was an Earth sorcerer and they spent some time together making a tiny temporal habitat for ants and other small bugs. It didn't last very long but it did the trick, it distracted them at least for a bit.

On monday, since they were excused for at least one day... They didn't really go to class or In Ishade's case, duelling practice.

Klaus was saddened by the news. Another death meant more hunters, and close enough to the school. He wondered what'd happen if these murderers managed to discover where the location of the school actually was. He also hoped they didn't.

During Sunday, he had breakfast with Joanna and then didn't see her again during like, the whole day. She was busy, something about spending a day in with her suite partners. It was probably one of these girl night, or day things he wasn't allowed to participate in because he was Jo's BOYfriend. Luckily for him, Cassie was free.

His Sunday was spent outside the school's walls. Not by the lake because he knew Nito and Eva would probably be there and he didn't want to disturb them. They practised some gift magic and shite, spells... potions. Cassie actually managed to get a couple of them right, and they had a friendship picnic outside, joining some other students like Archie and Marco. Klaus had wanted to invite Heinrich but he didn't know where the guy was and he was hungry.

The next day, in specialisation class, Klaus got partnered... well, more like fraggin' dashed up to Cassie as soon as the class started, because she was good at this bit.
At some point they managed to get Marco in a tornado by complete accident. They'd swear it again and again, good thing nobody got hurt.

It was all going pretty smoothly, or it would if Cassie's concentration faces didn't make Klaus want to burst out laughing and therefore losing control of their goddamn tornado...

Nito would get up from his desk, slowly approaching Eva from the other side of the room. There wasn't really anyone else he'd rather pair up with, and even if there was, he wouldn't trust any of them on the same level he did the raven haired beauty he'd become so smitten with. The prodigal ice mage had a secret, and it wasn't one he was keen on spreading around. When it came to Water, his Gift, and the level of control he held over it, Nito wasn't much better than anyone else. True, he had mastered the basics, and a little further beyond, but once he'd begun to practice his freezing arts, the appeal of water had faded fully from his mind. In fact, other than to create or summon liquid needed to practice his cyromancy, or to quench his thirst, he never bothered with it. Even in this class, though he doubted any suspected it, there were a few who outclassed him in the arcane arts of river and rain.

Blatantly ignoring an attempt or two to get his attention, the cold-obsessed youth soon placed an ice cool hand on Eva's shoulder, the softest of smiles awaiting her when she inevitably turned to see who wanted her attention. "Considering all our practice at the lake...I would be honored if you'd partner up with me, Eva."

Max was ready for this. He had to be. Sure, the first few times his ideas hadn't worked, but he hadn't been getting up before dawn to practice for nothing! This time, he was gonna throw that damned fireball at his girlfriend! Wait.

Shaking his head from his slightly erratic thoughts, he opened his hands towards Monique. "Are you sure you're ready? I remember last time..." She asks him tentatively, the ball of flame hovering above her left hand.

Shuddering at the week he had spent in the med bay after that, Max gives a nod, clapping his hands once and opening them again, splaying his fingers as his tongue sticks out a little as he concentrates.

Uncertainly, Moniqur tosses the ball at him, a spell to put him out ready on his lips. However, for the first time, he didn't need it. His hands caught the fireball and, quick as a flash, returned it.

Max lifted his hands up in jubilation, letting out a cheer as he had done it! Finally! Yes!

That cheer soon turned into a pained cough as the slightly dimished ball of fire slammed into his gut, Monqiue having passed it back as per the requirement, immediately followed by Monique putting him out.

'Okay. Retry.'

Fauna

Adrian shrugged a shoulder. He had no specific person in mind to work with; his best friend was a fauna sorcerer, so he didn’t have a quick preference like some of his classmates. “Sure,” He agreed. He had no issue with Sinclair, though he didn’t know the guy very well.

The two boys found their own little area amongst their classmates to begin working on forming their dog. Their first attempt… didn’t go so well. Their first dog was too small and exploded when they tried to make it any bigger.

Oddly enough, they were still doing better than the group next to them.

Wind (Grade 12)

Cassie hadn’t spent much time with Klaus since that day in the library; it had been fun, but… she just hadn’t made the effort. She did hang out with him, a few times, along with a few other people and he did help her get one of her potion assignments right.

She had an idea in mind for how to get their tornado going, right, but the professor stopped her from whispering to Klaus so instead the two got to work and their tornado… well, at best it could be called a wind version of a tumbleweed. Except, they couldn’t even get the round shape. Everytime she looked at Klaus, to try to figure out what he was thinking so that she could complement his magic, he looked close to laughing and so then she would make a face and he would laugh some more… and really they weren’t getting anything done.

Wind (Grade 11)

Yoanna hopped over to Anna’s side not long after they were instructed to be partners, “Mind?” She asked the other wind woman. They started working on their tornado and quickly lost control. Thankfully it was small and not much of anything, as it went careening into the forest. Yoanna made a ‘yikes’ face at her partner and stifled a giggle as Professor Craig stopped it from going further. “Try again,” She suggested gently.

Water

Eva recognized that cold feeling on her shoulder from the few times the two had touched. She knew who would be standing there when she turned around. Still, the request that they work together and the smile on his face, she agreed readily.

She loved the way he smiled at her, sometimes feeling that soft smile was reserved just for her. She was a ridiculous, silly girl for the thought, but it was in her head all the same.

Collaborating with another student was a new experience for most of the students and the most some had managed was a trickle of water. There were a few who were getting close to the right size, but were unable to get it to flow.

In one group, one partner had accidentally (so he had claimed) shot a strong jet of water into his partner’s face. Eva was glad that she had brought a change of clothes.

It was hard to figure out where to start when she couldn't talk to Nito, so she just started... from the top.

Fire

Within the first five minutes of the lesson, one group had lost control of their fire whip and the one of the persons in the pair standing next to Max and Monique had already burnt off their eyebrows.

Professor Towns was walking around making small suggestions to better control their magic, to extend the size of their whip. “Remember, you should be working together not trying to do two separate things.”

“It would be easier if we could talk,” Someone muttered and then shrunk into himself when the professor turned her glare onto him.

“That would defeat the purpose.”

Earth

Andalyn ended up being paired with Mia. She didn’t know the other girl very well, but she seemed friendly enough so the brunette offered the other girl a smile before the boulder came between them. Right… Time to form something.

She focused all her magic on creating… Her mind was blank. What the hell was she supposed to manipulate the rock into. She had a distinct feeling that Mia was at a loss, too, as nothing about their boulder had moved. “We’ve made a bolder!” She declared in a whisper, giggling. Still, Professor Russell gave her a look.

Struck with an idea she started forming the image of their professor into the rock. Whether or not Mia would catch on would remain to be seen.

While Eva worked on sustaining the waterfall's beginning from the top, Nito would pool water from around him, as much as he could muster, feeding it into hers. Given their time together at the lake, he knew she could, most likely, support the flow on her own, leaving him free to prop up her efforts when needed, and to make sure the two of them didn't lose out on liquid needed to complete the project. Since today was the day of a test, the cyromancer had forsaken his wand, instead using the family stave as his spell medium. It was older, with more history and power behind it than his feeble school supplied stick, and given his less-than-impressive mastery over water, Nito felt like the two of them could use all the help they could get.

Every now and again, he'd throw her a glance, and another small smile. Whenever he found her staring at him, he'd do much the same, occasionally losing his focus as his attention wavered. Letting himself fall deep into her eyes. But it didn't feel like a distraction, nay, it felt perfectly normal. It occurred to them that he and Eva would have a distinct advantage. They already had experience working with one another. All those days by the lake. Helping her master her own gift. The lessons of ice magic. The countless hours of non-verbal communication, encouragement, and understanding.

He wanted to say something. Say anything. Let her know how he felt, right then in there...

But this wasn't the place. Perhaps, despite the poorly hidden wounds and the pained, terrified look she once held in her eyes, she had cared for that pitiful excuse of a male. It was probably still too soon. And too suspicious. With a flick of his wrist, a quick incantation, and a considerable surge of his power, Nito would grasp as much water as he could from the pool they had collecting at their feet, forcing it to surge away and upward. It seemed he wanted to begin phase two of the project already, and at least for the moment, it looked like it might succeed. If Eva followed his lead, that is...

While a lot of members of the Duelling Club despised their cardio, Anna had a far different opinion. Her lungs may burn, but it a good, therapeutic way, somehow. She only really got tired once they stopped, but she didn’t let it slow her down for the rest of the practice. Not just duelling, but everything that they had to go through to train them made her feel powerful. Every hour she got through was like proof to her; you are not as weak as you look. The amount of satisfaction that gave her was immeasurable.

She came to her specialisation class with her throat wet from a sip of Focus Potion and her hair still damp from the shower. She shoved it up into a messy bun so that it didn’t get caught in any ‘stray’ winds, a lesson she had learned from her sister’s incessant pranking. When the topic of their new lesson was announced, Anna looked perfectly fine and happy with the revelation. On the inside, though, she was disappointed. She'd been hoping for ages that they'd start learning how to float; a valuable and cool trick that she'd seen many wind sorcerers use to their advantage when they danced. At this rate, she might try teaching herself.

She smiled at Yoanna once she came over, “Yeah, sure!” She chirped. Soon enough, they were going at it. She watched their first attempt throw itself towards the forest and giggled. She glanced at their professor, then turned back towards Yoanna. She didn’t know if they should focus on anything in particular or if they could just fire away and it would balance itself out.

She screwed up her face as she lifted her wand into the air. The wind started to build up, and though there was zero visible shape to it, there was a fair amount of moving wind just around the height they needed it at. Anna shot a look at Yoanna, honestly not too sure of how long she would be able to hold the wind the way she was.

Mia had anticipated the difficulty in shaping the rock. The ground she was familiar with was malleable dirt and mud, most of which could be moved by hand by even a young child. Rock was solid, unmoving, unimpressionable. A normal person needed tools to get through it, and magic though magic could make it easier, it would only be by a margin. Mia was fully willing to accept this challenge. What she hadn't been expecting was the difficulty in what to make.

She stared at the boulder, mind blank as paper. She wished they could have talked, since then at least they could brainstorm on it. She glanced at Andalyn, thinking that they could maybe signal to one another something to make. As she did, the rock started to shape under the influence of her partner. Mia stared at the boulder once more, watching until she could figure out what was being made.

It became clear soon enough that Andalyn was creating a person. However, that is where the two earth sorceresses stopped thinking the same. Mia spotted one little thing - a jawline, nothing more - and her mind was set on one single thing. She flicked her wand and started contributing to the project herself, not even realising that it would have been nearly impossible for the two girls to be thinking of the same thing. If the two girls finished their project, it would end up a weird chimera; one part Professor Russel, another part a mystery boy that nobody would recognise.

Hazel's mind wasn't on her homework at all, instead wandering to the subject of the Hunters. She knew there'd been something going on there! Sophie had doubted it, but it was real, so much more real than she ever even thought it was. Even in her mind when she'd been pondering it earlier, it had felt like a very distant threat, something that could never happen so close, but now that a student was killed... God, it could happen to any of them, couldn't it? Sophie could die, Julian could die, she could die- no one was safe, nowhere was safe, not even Altsoba. She bit her lip, shifting a little bit and casting Sophie a glance before trying her best to focus again. As much as she wanted to throw away the worries of school for a week to think about what had happened, she still had to pass school.

Eva liked working with Nito. His magic was familiar to her and it felt natural to work across from him. Creating their waterfall was a peaceful affair; she started making the actual fall part and he gave their waterfall the fullness that was required.
It was pretty and when she looked at Nito through the water, he was looking back at her and smiling.

She adored that smile.

At first she didn’t realize what he was trying to do; Eva felt the surge in magic coming from her partner, but then as she saw the pool of water heading upwards, she realized that he was switching their direction. Calmly she focused her magic into doing the same, but they still got a bit of a splashback from the collision of directions before their waterfall shifted upwards, now pooling in the ceilings. This time Eva took over the job of maintaining their pool of water to prevent it from raining down on him.

When they had successfully completed the transition, Eva beamed at Nito through their waterfall; her smile was bright and her eyes sparkled with her delight. They made a good team and she doubted she’d have as nice a waterfall when they were forced to work with a different partner tomorrow.

Professor Holcombe was surprised at how well the two worked together; he had expected any pairing with Nito to end in a bit of a disaster; he certainly hadn’t expected the quiet student to work well in a team.

Slowly, in other parts of the room waterfalls were starting to take shape.

----

Yoanna made a “whoops” expression toward her partner and then steadied her footing so they could start again. This time when Anna lifted her wand, Yoanna waited to see what was to come. With only one of them focusing on the force of the thing, it was able to stabilize instead of careening off.

Reaching out with her own magic, she waited until Anna had settled on the amount of force she was willing to give it and then the sorceress focused on shaping their tornado while Anna supplied it’s force. Soon enough it was taking the actual shape of what was necessary, though the size wasn’t quite right.

She nudged the small tornado, adding her own bit of force to it and let off, hoping Anna would get the hint to make it stronger.

---

Andalyn was delighted to see that Mia had picked up on her idea; sculpting the professor was obvious enough. While Mia worked on one side, Andy worked on the other, occasionally glancing toward their professor to fine tune a detail. When she looked back at Mia’s side, she realized that the girl had not been… quite on the same page.

Half the face was starting to take the shape of Professor Russell, the other half of the face was unfamiliar to Andalyn. The only thing the face had in common was the shape of the jaw. Andalyn’s side of the nose was larger and rounder, Mia’s side was more refined. Andalyn had captured the small squinty eyes and narrow, angry eyebrows of their professor.

Mia had sculpted round, kind eyes of someone else. She was kind of jealous of the fullness of this mystery guy’s eyebrows, though.

Overall the sculpture wasn’t half bad, provided you only looked at half the face at a time. Andalyn burst into laughter at their abomination.

---

The rest of the specialization class went by fairly quickly for most of the upper classmen. Eva and Nito managed to complete their waterfall assignment, as did quite a few other students in their class. Maxine had been too distracted that she and her partner were instructed to come back at the end of the day to try again.

In Fauna, Sinclair and Adrian managed to get the details of their dog right, but every time they started trying to make it larger, their dog would explode or run off or get far too big. It wasn't a total loss as most of the class was only able to get one or the other. There wasn't one perfect dog in the group.

Monique and Max managed to get their fire whip to the proper size and girth, but they kept losing control of it. Neither could figure out why they kept losing control. For two people the fire wasn't too much to handle.

Professor Russell did not seem incredibly impressed with Andalyn's rendition of him and they were docked points for not working on the same creation. "Try something simpler," he suggested for the next day.

Yoanna and Anna managed to get a decent sized, good looking tornado. It wasn't perfect and it wasn't to the exact measurements required, but Yoanna felt satisfied with their work. Klaus and Cassie finally sobered up toward the end of class and were able to get a decent sized tornado, but there was nowhere near enough force behind it, that it kept falling apart.

At the end of the class each professor gave a similar instruction. The following day they were going to be paired up by the professor, rather than picking their own partners (this was to prevent planning ahead). They also informed the students that the idea was to feel your partners magic, focus on what they're doing and compliment their work rather than trying to take control of the entire thing. To be fair, sometimes a partnership doesn't work well (here, Professor Craig gave Cassie and Klaus a hard look and the former of the two stifled a giggle).

At lunch time Andalyn found herself at Gregori's table, of all places... and then she was inviting him to skip class with her which turned into a surprisingly fun, if odd, afternoon.

The rest of the day was... uneventful in comparison to the morning's activities, at least in Eva's mind. She diligently took notes in each of her classes. No one was injured in magical transportation. Lunch and Dinner were spent training with Nito, without complaint, even though she just wanted a nap.

The rest of her evening was spent on catching up on the homework she'd ignored. She had three esssays due and it was coming time to pick a topic for her specialization paper-- ten page first draft due before the winter holidays.

She had used a lot of magic that day, and Eva was tired. Thought of the Hunters had not crossed her mind once the entire day as she was either practicing magic or studying magic, or trying to understand her math homework (she wondered if Nito was any good at math, because she was shit and really needed to look into getting a tutor).

She crashed hard that night after reading the memo from Professor Topp (sent to all students) that magical self-defense would pick up in intensity in light of recent events. In her fog she forgot what the "recent events" were.

---

Sophie felt Hazel’s eyes on her, Julian too would occasionally look up from his homework and look at both of them.

They were all thinking about the Hunters. But they also had a biology test on Friday and an essay due in potions over the importance of a proper cauldron and making an argument for a particular cauldron (she chose pewter). In home Ec this week they would be getting magical baby dolls to prevent pregnancies in the school.

They didn’t have the time to talk about Hunters.

Another five minute passed, the scratching of their pencils could be heard. Finally Sophie gave up and dropped her mechanical pencil to the side. “Alright, let’s hear it.”She turned on Hazel. “Are you freaking out? Because I’m absolutely freaking out.”

After Fauna, Sinclair wandered through his classes like a robot. For once, the boy didn't get yelled at. Sinclair had set a new precedent for himself, however he didn't even notice it. His mind was focused on the Huntress. No matter what Professor Hunt had said, she still terrified him. As such, with every free moment that he had, Sinclair went to the library and studied advanced runes. He was going to impress Professor Loray, he needed to.

In the meantime, he practiced using the Rune Serpents. He dared not use the Flame Serpents inside the library though. However, he did practice with them outside. Though, people started giving him weird looks as he summoned fire, ice, and stone serpents, one after the other. Which may be because the runes themselves were hidden from sight in his hands. Eventually, Sinclair managed to get them to move around a little before dissipating.

After school finished completely, Sinclair not only continued to practice this, he also continued to work on his advanced rune. He managed to make out plans for a 15 piece Rune System. 10 pieces for support, made from stone and carved with the markings of the Nords. 4 pieces to gather light and power, made from obsidian, if not, then stone will do. Agarthian will adorn the collectors. The last piece will be steel, made from Atlantean. This rune will focus and display the light.

After planning his Rune System out, Sinclair went back to making more runes. He spent the rest of his night working on a couple of warmth runes again. He had plans to sell them tomorrow and make a few quick bucks in the process. He would need the money to pay for his rune supplies.

Anna glanced at her partner, having caught the sudden pulse of energy. The only problem was that she wasn't sure how much more energy she could pump into it before she might start to tire herself out. She tried her best, but the amount she put in wasn't enough to make the thing grow. She made a mental note to take a different job the next time she was in class.

She came out of the lesson beaming. Even if they hadn't been able to get the tornado exact, the amount they had been able to do had been pretty impressive to Anna. She would have never, not in a million years, been able to do anything like that on her own. She had never tried, and not even really considered combining her magic power with somebody else. It had always seemed like on of those things that were solitary, that you needed to sort out on your own. Anna supposed that her magic was maybe suited to being around other sorcerers, to catch their falls and make up for their mistakes. She quite liked that idea.

The rest of the day she was tired. Specialisation early in the morning, plus extra-difficult training, plus waking up early equalled exhaustion. She found it difficult to concentrate, even more than usual, and her focus potion bottle was half full at the end of the day. She'd have to pick up another bottle, and soon. Despite the loss of focus, there was one thought that was constantly at the top of her mind, and that was to stick with the crowd. She wasn't alone for one second of the day, always making sure that there was at least two other people in the room. This only tired her out more, and by the end of the day she couldn't even keep her eyes open. She returned to her room at the end of the day and fell asleep on the couch while she chatted with her roommates.

Mia returned to her dorm room, embarrassment still hot in her throat. The little fiasco with the sculpture had been embarrassing, to say the least. As soon as she had noticed what she had done with the rock, she had been quick to change it, but she was confident some people saw. If she was lucky, people would either forget about it, or think that she’d just taken some sort of artistic inspiration and made her own person. Even still, she was certain that rumours were going to fly.

She found a stack of newspapers outside of her dorm room, all tied up with twine and labelled with her name and room number. She smiled a little, opening her door before stepping inside with her monthly bundle of papers. Mia had been ordering translated versions of newspapers from across the world for a long while in order to keep up with the endeavours of other sorcerers and sorceresses around the world. A fair amount of her allowance from working as a Teacher’s Assistant went towards these papers.

She brought them into her bedroom and sat them down at her desk. One by one, she started to go through them, taking time with every word to understand fully what she was reading. Some of it was boring to her, like news about sports or duelling, which was not Mia’s cup of tea. She did start to notice something more important though.

‘Sorcerers Going Missing More Often, says Head of New York City Sorcery Police Department’, from The Clairvoyant, New York State. The article went on to say that many of the missing sorcerers are never found.

‘Family of Six Murdered in Home, Killer Not Found’, from La Poción Diaria, Spain. The article went on to detail the family being found, killed not by magic, but by a knife.

‘Sorcerer Found Dead, Head and Heart Removed’, from An Litriú Seachtainiúil, Ireland.

There was more too. All of them similar. Deaths. Disappearances. Most of them looked like they would go cold. Mia put down the newspaper she was holding, and stepped back from her table. Was she imagining it? No, no, she couldn’t have been. She laid out all the articles, and she only found more as she kept on reading.

She stepped back from her desk, finally finished. In nearly every paper, there was at least one suspicious event. As she looked over all the headlines, she wondered: was there something she’d missed?

She looked to the stacks of newspapers on the floor by her desk. She didn’t throw out any of her papers until the end of the year, so there were nine stacks of papers by her desk, all neatly tied up in twine.

Within seconds, she was tearing into them, hungry eyes scouring.

‘Jackalope Population Decreasing Significantly in Sherwood Forest’, from The Potion Maker, England. That was from February.

‘Carcolh Head Stolen From The National Magical Creature Museum’, from La Rugiada Mattutina, Italy. That one, April.

‘Sorceress Missing Since December 17, 2007’, from The Guter Zauberer, Germany. August.

‘Sorcerer Killed in Hunter-Esque Attack’, from Den Tidlige Fuglen, Norway. September.

The bedroom floor was covered in papers, some even disassembled to show every article. Yellow highlighter painted the thin pages. Headlines screamed messages of a wide spread attack on sorcerer society. Mia kneeled on the floor, hopeless eyes gazing over all the hundreds of words. There was no two ways about it. Sorcery was—

The door opened. Maxine, her roommate, stepped in, her normally curly hair drenched and lying close to her face and head. She was fiddling with something around her finger. She stared around the room with big blue eyes, baffled beyond belief. “What the hell are you doing, Mia?” She exclaimed, eyes not settling on any one thing for too long. There was too much to look at; pictures, highlighted text, headlines, and Mia herself.
The earth sorceress looked up at her roommate, the distress of her revelation wavering over her for a moment. She snapped out of the daze. “Look, look at this,” she blabbered, rushing to her feet.

She pointed to the closest article to her. “‘Family of Sorcerers Missing’,” she quoted. “That one’s from last month, in Australia.” She pointed to another paper. “'Are Magical Creatures Going Extinct? Lowering Populations Baffle Researchers’. That’s from South Korea, last January.” She kept on going, quoting and pointing out every little detail until Maxine stopped her.

“Hey, hey now,” the water sorceress said, holding her hands out in a ‘stop’ motion. “What’re you trying to say, Mia?”
Mia looked at all the papers. She pointed at one from that month. “‘Are Hunters Returning? Sorcerers Killed, Head and Heart Removed After Death’.” She looked to Maxine for a reaction.
The wet-haired girl shook her head. Mia hadn’t seen her hesitate. “Don’t be silly,” she dismissed, stepping around the papers to sit on her bed.

Mia made a selection of confused and incredulous sounds. “You’re kidding!” She shouted. She fell silent, and took a deep breath. “It’s all over the world, Max,” she hissed. “Sorcerers and magical creatures are being attacked, and all this horrible stuff. It’s been happening for at least a year!” She crouched down, picking up an article talking about a head-heart removal death. “Non-sorcerers don’t know we exist. With all the deaths like these, I hate to say it, but-“

“It’s not Hunters!” Maxine shouted, hands curled up in tight balls, her anger sudden and confusing to Mia. “I’m sick and tired of everyone saying that! Hunters don’t exist!”

Mia stared at her friend for a few seconds, before the anger in her mirrored. “You can’t deny this, Max! How can’t you see what’s happening?!”

Maxine stood up quickly, gritting her teeth. “Shut up already! Hunters. Don’t. Exist! Get it through your head!” She stomped through the papers to get to the door, not caring that they were crumpling under her feet and the water from her shoes was making the ink bleed. “Stop looking into this, Mia! It’s a waste of time!” With that, the water sorceress rushed out of the room and down the corridor. Where she was going, Mia had no clue.

Mia didn’t rush after Maxine. How could she be so blind? Even if it felt impossible, it was spelt out clear as day. She shuffled around the room, picking up the newspapers and sorting them back into their piles. When she was younger, she had found the idea of meeting a hunter interesting, and something that she would have really liked to do, had there not been obvious limitations. Mia had long ago abandoned that fantasy, but now it came back full force with several layers of horror and fear. By the looks of all those articles, that little scenario might come back, but it might not end as ideally as Mia had always imagined it.

Last edited:
Nito was honestly surprised at how well this was all going, though the strain was beginning to show on his face. Alone, this would've been well out of his range of mastery. But, with Eva, this was...proving far...easier than...

No. No it was not. They were succeeding, that much was certain. Already, their waterfall's direction of flow was reversing, while everyone else had only just begun on their foundations. His face would break out into a cold sweat, his words coming in strained half-gasps.

"S-Signal the professor." He'd implore, the grip on his staff so tight that his knuckles had turned bone white. "I would but this is taking more energy than I thought it would." Nit had a reputation to protect. It was too late to go back now, his classmates already considered him 'freakishly gifted' and 'absurdly dedicated'. If they found out that his control over his element, his gift, there would be laughter. Talk of failure. Scorn and ridicule.

"Please, Eva, hurry. I-I can hold it, if you need to run and get her." Not for long. And not very well. But he would, even if it cost him his current state of consciousness. And a bloody nose. And a concussion, should he fall. It wouldn't be the first time at least.

Back