Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Amarathia City

"Hmm." Amma hummed thoughtfully, looking at her notes. "Well yes, all beings are essentially powered by energy, so in a sense you're no different, it's just that instead of energy being, say, a byproduct of yourself, you worked backwards in a way, funneling the raw energy that is you into a body. But if it’s truly as condensed as you say, then my guess is that you have copious amounts. Energy is regenerative, the danger is taking too much. I’ve been siphoning energy out of my own being for years, and I’ve never burnt out. I supposed I’ve come close, but I knew I was getting risky while doing it. The point is, I know how to keep a balance. I can make sure you wouldn’t get anywhere close to burning out. I suspect we could siphon quite a bit before you’d feel even a flicker of weariness. Perhaps we could run some tests, experiment a bit. But of course, only if you are comfortable. Forgive my enthusiasm, this is my life’s work. I’ve been studying magic and the art of containing it for years, so finding such a strong energy source as yourself, essentially a walking charm is, to say the least, quite a big deal for myself.” She sat back, shaking her head at the outlandishness of if. What in the world?

Abel nodded " I... would be really happy to help you I guess. As long as you dont expect me to take big risks when it comes to experimenting "

Amma shook her head. "No, no, of course not. We could start very small. No need to take any large risks. Don't worry, I'm an overcautious person naturally."

"I have to say," Val interjected with a grin. "A lot of that flew straight over my head. But I think I get the gist of what you were talking about. I suspect you were wise to have kept this largely to yourself, Abel. There's plenty of folk at Nasazura Academy who I imagine would be very interested in studying someone like you. And whilst I'm sure they would not be cruel... I doubt being a guinea pig for some academic's magical experiments was what you came here for, eh? So let's not get too excited."

Whilst he was sure that Amma's intentions were wholly innocent and genuine, Val was slightly concerned at the readiness with which Abel had acquiesced to being tested on. It spoke of a naivety that would be dangerous, should his nature become more widely known. Not all mages and scholars held the moral principles necessary to be trusted so thoroughly, but many had glib enough tongues to disguise that fact.

Abel nodded " Yeah Val... you are right, so I have to ask you two, please do not tell anyone else what I am, not even our team members. I will tell them if I consider it oportune, and absolutely do NOT. Write it down. " they said this while looking towards Amma, actually wondering if to comment it while she was around had been a good idea...

" I don't mind if you write that I have big amounts of energy but no references to what I am. Please... I'm going to have to trust you won't write it so please don't " they definitely should... most likely not have told the others. Ugh... shite...
Abel swallowed. " so uhh... what about the mounts?

"I'll speak with the stablemaster this evening and have him ready one for you," Val answered, then paused, taking in Abel's expression. "Hey, chin up, friend," he smiled to the star. "As long as you're in one of my teams, I've got your back. Don't worry too much."

He glanced across at Amma with another friendly smile. "I'm sure our scholarly friend is considerate enough to avoid recording anything that would lead to your identity."

Abels expression lit up a little, and they notably relaxed after listening to Vals words. " yeah, I... I hope so, thank you. " they told the man.

Then, they stood up from the chair they were sitting on. " I'm going to go now... I need some stuff and... and air, yes.. so I will be here at the time to leave. No worries about that. " they explained, waving them both goodbye and walking out of the inn just fast enough not to start running.

Amma set her pen down. "Oh, of course I wouldn't put you in danger! Don't worry, I've recorded nothing about your identity. Just about the power source and the possible uses. Besides, I work alone. I don't know any other mages or wizard and have no communication with them besides their texts." She patted the star comfortingly on the arm. "Don't worry, friend, your safety and wellbeing is more important than any magic. Your secret is safe with me."

As Abel left she looked across at Val. "I'm sure you're right though- they're better off keeping this knowledge to themselves. Their power...it's greater than any I've ever read of. I have a high moral policy when it comes to channeling personally, and would of course, never put them in harms way. But others... the potential might be too much for them to resist." She looked after Abel worriedly. The innocent creature did not yet understand the greed that could possess some of the more power-hungry mortals in this land. If they weren't careful, someone who had a thirst for magic far greater than Amma's could easily chance upon them.

Last edited:
Val nodded with a sombre expression, watching the door after Abel had gone for several long moments before turning back to her. "Yes! Well, let's hope none of them catch ear of it, eh? I can't see many eccentric academics taking much interest in an expedition like this, present company excluded. So we shouldn't have to worry." A grin, and he leaned back in his seat to continue waiting.

The afternoon wore on into evening without any further arrivals for the expedition, and after taking his meal at the inn, Val himself retired to a room for the night.

The next morning saw the voidhunter stood outside the inn's stables, preparing mounts for himself and those of the party that had given indication that they would need one. Like most fauna in Aelora, the horses that the stable had provided were not 'normal' as per the standards of horses in other realms. Though they resembled horses in most respects, they were possessed of a variety of differentiating features. Some of the horses had horns, antlers or other unusual animal features. Others carried elemental properties; a flaming mane, dancing winds about their hooves, eyes alight with lightning, or many other possibilities.

Val's mount was of unassuming appearance, neither of outstanding quality nor obviously lacking it. The dull brown stallion bore green patterns in druidic style upon its flank, that seemed to have grown naturally as opposed to having been marked on, and a pair of antlers grew from its head. Its build was lithe - a horse built for travel and speed, as opposed to heavy work or battle. The hunter was in the process of adjusting the saddle upon the horse's back, patting the beast's neck as it gave a snort of distaste. "[Hey, it's just for a while. Your vanity can survive that, I think.]" He murmured to it, speaking softly in the sylvan tongue.

The sun was just cresting the horizon. His volunteers ought be arriving soon.

Abel was the first one to arrive, a normal light ball, similar to a light spell casted normally, floating by their side. their bag seemed way fuller than it was the day before, and their hair was quite messy.

They waved at Val, seeing then from a little further away and hurrying to get near the others side. Were they the first one?. Abel thought they were already late, wow..

However, the star eyed the mount once they were closer, arching an eyebrow. First of all, the animal was beautiful and really impressing. Not that Abel didn't think the same thing about all of them... but how were they supposed to... " oh. " they had forgotten about, uhm, that " good morning Val! " they said, grinning... aw damnit, how were they supposed to say it just now?...

Kian walked out of the inn doors quietly, soaked. His face had a very obviously forced smile, looking very angry to say the least. Grinding his teeth, he slowly lifted his arm, greeting the two with a clunky and forced wave. Drip. drip. He waddled up to them before asking,
"Who gets drunk this e-early? To the point of spilling a t-t-tankard of ale on me?"
He was shivering slightly after stepping out into the early day. He put down his relatively wet bag beside him and began to rummage through it until producing a towel and beginning to wipe himself down slightly and covering himself under the thin sheet.

Abel furrowed his brow, concerned about the poor kid. "Oh sweet thing you must be freezing..."

The star pulled off his scarf slash serape and started helping Kian get dry.

"If this doesn't work I will try with a spell, you can' walk around like this, you will get sick"

Val turned at Abel's enthusiastic greeting, smiling upon recognising him. "Morning, twinkle-toes," he replied with a grin of his own. "You're looking ruffled today. Long night?"

When Kian emerged, his eyebrows rose to see him drenched and miserable. When the boy relayed the circumstances of how it had happened, he frowned. "I'd wager someone who's yet to take themselves home," he remarked. "With any luck the sun will help you dry..." He trailed off at Abel's intervention, smiling. 'Or a star, for that matter,' he thought to himself.

"Glad to see the two of you getting along so well," Val chuckled. "Although I fear the smell may be more persistent, unless you've a spell for that too, Abel."

Quickly sticking a thumb up, and suddenly beaming, Kian proudly exclaimed,
"I'm ok! I think I can try something..."
Holding his hand hovering above the soggy areas of his clothing, some heat radiated off, slowly drying the clothing. Occasionally a spark flew out of his hand, lighting a fire on his clothing which was quickly patted out. Noting the drying drink, he muttered,
"Ugh I'm all sticky..."
He did actually smell quite strongly of alcohol and sweet mead.

Abel smiled towards Val. "I was fine, just didn't have time to fix my hair, really... it goes wild sometimes."

They said, chuckling softly and then looking at the other, the kid.

"daw... well, I guess you will have to wait until tonight to take a bath?, I don't really know any spells to deal with bad smell but you can ask the... this... uhm... the girl who is coming with us. "

He lifted a finger finger, remembering that, very important thing... looking towards Val once again, and with a nervous laugh added;
" Oh by the way, Val, sorry, I forgot to tell you... I have, uhm, never ridden a horse before... "

"You've ..." Val paused, and sighed. "Of course you haven't. I could probably have guessed that. Right..." He rubbed at his temples briefly, glancing over at the horses. "Well, we have a little time before the others show up. I'll see if the stablemaster has any horses that'd be suited to a beginner..."

He walked across to the stable entrance and disappeared inside, briefly. Within a few minutes he had returned, leading a docile-looking mare of tawny colouring. The horse's eyes were a pure shade of silver, and its hide was unusually furry and fluffy. He beckoned to Abel once he led it into the open. "This is Nesta," he explained. "Apparently the best behaved here, although she's not a true learner's horse..."

How badly could it go, exactly? "Alright, so first you want to make sure you're standing..." Val launched into an explanation of how best to go about mounting up, and attempted to help Abel do so, hoping that at least that hurdle would be surmountable. If Abel was going to be riding for the first time, that would probably slow their pace, unless he proved to be uncannily quick to pick it up. Val could only hope.

But Abel proved just how clumsy they could be when just after Val helped them up, so they could occupy their place over the horse, they fell from it and landed on the other side of the animal. "Ooof!" The star complained from the ground.

Watching, Kian quietly snickered when Abel fell off the horse before approaching the stable entrance. Rapidly, he began to point out tips,
"Abel, you need to grip the side of the horse with your legs," he began to speed up to the point of only a few words being comprehensible, among them were, "balance", "loose", "tight" and other words that just seemed to jumble together.
Kian stopped himself before repeating the last few phrases,
"Make sure you keep balance and hold onto the horse tightly, but also uh... loosely?... Lax! That's the word."

Val winced, stepping around the slightly perturbed steed to lend Abel a hand in getting up. "Try a little less momentum next time..." he advised with a chuckle, as Kian launched into his garbled explanation. "Let's focus on getting you on the horse, first," he suggested. "Try not to swing so much. Once you're steady in the stirrup, swing your leg up just enough to get it over the saddle."

Abel smiled nervously and accepted Vals hand, standing up... " o-okay... " come on Abel, you can do this!, th star told themselves.

They tried once again and this time, following the other two guys advice, at least they stayed on the horse once he got on the saddle, and did not fall, not right away.

Back