Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Amarathia City

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by ConnorTavarin

There was a slight disturbance in the crowd not too far away from the marketplace. Disgusted groans or hateful stares are centered on a strange creature slowly making its way across the street. His name is Rythix, of a race known as the Nas'jeii. There have been some unsettling rumors about this spider-like race, ranging from stealing supplies to kidnapping people at night. What's worse is that not many have had interactions with this race due to them arriving on the surface only a couple of years ago. Rythix did look rather suspicious as well, wearing a green cloak with the hood covering his eyes, though the reason was because his kind was sensitive to light.

Feeling a little uneasy from all of the negative attention, Rythix skittered away from the crowds and stood silently for some time. He tried reaching out to a passerby "Excuse me, sir...do you know where I can find an alchemist?" he asked. The man said he was just passing through before walking away. "Oh...well at least he didn't say anything cruel..." he said to himself. He keeps trying to ask people for directions or the location of someone who can hone his knowledge about the surface world and its plants. "Please, I'm an alchemist, really! M-My people are not all the same!" he pleaded. He understood that was a hard message to get across, but that didn't make it any easier on his conscious.

as written by Sokka and ConnorTavarin

An Elvish man walked along the premier of the crowd just within earshot of Rythix. He wore a long cloak that covered his entire body and a cowl concealed his face from view. He had been observing the commotion for quite some time now. The spider-like being had peaked his interest.

However the words he spoke sparked a hint of compassion in the man and furthered his curiosity. Lowering his cowl he walked toward Rythix "I don't think any of them are going to know an alchemist, My name is Navar what is your's?" He asked giving Rythix a false name.

____

Genuinely surprised that someone actually approached him, Rythix took a couple of steps back from the stranger. People were moving all around him and he could feel it. His body was able to detect slight changes in the air around him, so being in a crowded city was a little nerve-wracking and extremely uncomfortable for him right now. "N-Navar...yes...my name is Rythix Alameg. If you haven't heard, I am a Nas'jeii. My people have lived underground for...a long time. A couple of years ago we wanted to come to the surface and make something of ourselves, but our reputation has already been sullied. Our brethren in other clans have done terrible things and I apologize on their behalf, th-though I do not think that is enough excuse what they have done." his voice was shaky and uncertain. He kept his head low and his hood tucked over his face to avoid getting too much light in his eyes.

____

"While what your people have done is unfortunate I do blame you. Elves have done horrible things themselves however I do not blame all elves for the actions of certain factions or individuals." He said with a smile.

"You intrigue me Rythix, I'd be interested to hear more about yourself if you would care to join me for possibly a drink or some food at a tavern?" He asked.

____

The kindness of this elf calmed Rythix down somewhat, so he nodded in agreement "I do not have much of your currency, I'm afraid. I'm not opposed to going, though." he said, following the elf. Despite his upper body's thin frame, the sound of his steps made it clear that Rythix was far heavier than he looked. He saw that people were looking at him with wary eyes and disgust, which did indeed bother him. He was glad to have someone who was willing to speak with him though. "I was sent by my clan to learn more about your culture and about surface world plant life. We hope to establish friendly relations, though that may be a long time coming." he said as they walked.

____

"The food and drink will be on me." Ari nodded slowly as they walked, "Are you a Diplomat or an Alchemist?" He asked with an arched brow as they approached the tavern The owner made a face and looked as if he was about to shout something. "Wait here a moment." He said to Rythix. He approached the owner and would appear to converse for several seconds before the man appeared to be nodding quickly.

Ari waved Rythix over and motioned to a table toward the back out of the way of others.

____

Settling himself near the table, Rythix pulled down his hood since it wasn't as bright inside. His somewhat long grey hair fell to his upper pair of arms and his eight emerald colored eyes squinted slightly at the light. He shook his head as his eyes adjusted "Sorry...my eyes are very sensitive to light...I can't see very far either." he said nervously. "As for what I am...I wouldn't call myself something as important as a diplomat...alchemy and magic is all I know. Though, I have to admit being considered a diplomat would make me feel like I'm doing something very important for my people." he smiled the best he could. "I focus on potions and poultices...to heal people. That's all I've ever really wanted to do, more so than ever now. Maybe it will make people less afraid of me. Oh, and thank you for offering to pay." he said with a nod of his head.

____

Ari nodded, "Well there are lots of people here who can teach you those things though finding one to agree to teach you might be a struggle." He said nodding sadly.

"Barkeep 2 tea's and 2 waters please!" He said loudly.

"So your clan why did the send you rather than sending one of their leaders? If you don't mind me asking" He said.

as written by ConnorTavarin and Sokka

"I'm not sure how to answer that...maybe they figured it would be good experience for a younger generation." he said, unsure of the reason. There was more to it than that, but Rythix didn't know. "Improving relations seems like it will be hard...other than knowledge of the underground I'm not sure what we would be able to offer the surface people." he said. He took a sip of the tea when it was offered, a little taken aback from how hot the liquid was, but the taste was pleasant. "Do you have any advice? I will take whatever help I can get."

____

"Currently I have no advice." He said, he would have told the man more but something held him back. This man may be here on good faith but Ari knew better than to jump on a hunch. He seemed like a kind and gentle being and surely was convincing but still something didn't sit right with Ari.

"Well what would you like know though maybe there is something I can help you with." Ari said before taking a sip of his tea.

____

Rythix shakes his head "I don't know what else I can do. The surface world is so strange and all I know are my studies. Part of me wishes I could have stayed home, underground. I can't handle the crowds or the bright light. But...I want to do what I can not just for my clan, but for the people I meet." he said.

He took another sip of his tea "I wouldn't be opposed to taking some time off. I've been travelling with very little rest for quite some time. Maybe exploring the city will help me get used to everything."

____

Ari nodded, "Travel can be exhausting." He said, "I think you might enjoy the city it is a beautiful place and there are a more than a few alchemy shops in town.

"Are you currently staying anywhere?" He asked taking another sip of his tea. He wasn't sure what to think of this one but he still wasn't entirely sure. He'd have to report his findings and see if anyone was aware that this Rythix was in the Capital.

____

"I'm not staying anywhere right now. I've only just arrived today, but even still I've spent most nights outside." he said. Rythix was certainly an honest person, definitely a tad naive. "As I said earlier, I have very little of your currency, so finding a place to rest my head isn't an option for me. It's no matter though. I'm comfortable under the stars...they are beautiful. Though the sun...that thing hurts my eyes." he said, laughing. He seemed to be in a slightly cheerful mood after the conversation. Already he considered the elf a friend and hoped he thought the same. Travelling by himself was disheartening and lonely for Rythix, who has always known the company of his clan.

____

Ari nodded slowly, "Well If I hear of anyone looking for a student I'll seek you out say here a week from today. I can't guarantee anything but if not I'll treat us to another set of drinks." Ari said finishing his tea he stood.

"It was a pleasure speaking with you Rythix but I must be going." He said bowing before he walked out of the bar leaving some coin on the counter for the owner as he exited raising his cowl and retreating into the crowded street.

____

He nodded to him "Thank you very much. I'll look around too." he said. It was relatively quiet in here this time of day, so Rythix decided to take this chance to relax. He pulls out a small journal and flips it open to a random page, looking over sketches and descriptions of plants he had come across on his journey. He sighed as he flips to a page that has a few sketches but no descriptions. He didn't get the chance to test any of these yet. "White leaves, blue center...black leaves, green center...what do these do?" he muses to himself.

After a while he puts the journal away and pulls up his hood before heading outside to explore some more. Keeping to the sides of buildings, he still felt overwhelmed by the amount of people passing by, but the sights were impressive. Surface cities were a marvel to behold if not a bit crowded.

as written by Nevan and Sentry

The outer ring of Aramathia City was full of life and laughter. The commotion, the crowds, the business deals and bartering done by market stalls with merchants trying to shout their greatest deal over the sound of the criers and news sellers.

Vale was among them, a stranger not only in title but description. He was certainly 'stranger' than most of those around him, with his scruffy hair and a cloak that hid his shoulders and arms as much as his back. Occasionally, people would step out of their path to avoid him and normally laughing children would quieten as though they were afraid he would eat them.

He snapped his jaw at one group, then laughed to himself as they yelled and ran down one alley to never be seen by him again.

"Stop being so childish, Sir. You're scaring children and upsetting the common folk," spoke an obviously noble lady, in her clean, noble gown designed to show enough of her breasts to attract a husband.

"You have a spider in your hair, you know," Vale told her, raising a slight brow, reaching a hand out to her in a gesture to brush it away.

The lady stepped back, pushing the open palm away. "How dare you try to touch me! How dare you make such frivolous and ridiculous claims!"

Vale closed his palm into a light fist and nodded in complete understand. "You are right, my nobly lady. I lied. There is indeed no spider in your hair," replied he as he opened his hand again and tossed a small, black creature at her nose with a flick of the wrist. "It's on your face."

The hilarity of the vicious, terrified screams and the dancing of the insane lady caught the attention of others in the street, who laughed and pointed as her pride was ruined and her face became purple and disgustingly fat due to the arachnid's venom. The lady soon fainted, caught only by her bewildered attendee who stumbled due to her unexpected weight.

As the children gathered round and giggled, the flesh of the woman's sides, stomach, thighs and breasts began to expand. Her dress tore, revealing embarrassing undergarments and a corset that nearly popped open. Perhaps it did, but some kind soul quickly covered her in a blanket and called for the guards before anything was seen. A few seconds later, Vale retreated straight back into a squad of guards and before he could do a thing he felt irons being clapped around his wrists.

"She's fat, not dead," he protested to his sudden arrest.

____

"Don't you types have anything better to do than terrorize and clown the good local people?" sighed a young elven man skirting around the guards. He was dressed all in snug leathers and a cowl that rested around his neck. A bow hung over his shoulder. He was very plain an elf compared to many of his kind, all brown-haired and not particularly as gorgeous. He did seem young, though it was hard to tell if that was accurate.

"What else do you want the well-to-do guards of Amarathia to do?" He smirked. "You're not gonna get out of this too easy."

____

"It's a perfectly harmless prank," replied Vale to the Elf, before one of the guards gave him a whack on the arm with a wooden baton.

"Quiet. I have no idea what you did, but I'm quite sure it's illegal!" The sergeant butt in, keeping Vale held by the irons and locking them to his belt via a long chain so the man couldn't escape. "Public endangerment and bodily harm should land you some time in jail, good man."

"I'm sure we can settle this," Vale replied, keeping himself still. "She'll return to normal after a few days."

"I see. Suddenly regretting committing a crime, are you? A wild man not used to authority or law?"

"We'll pay you, won't we friend? Think of it as a fine?" Vale asked, nodding over towards the Elf. "I'm sure he'll pay."

____

The elf pointed to himself. "Me? Oh, don't count on it. I'm as law-abiding as my friends here in the guard. I'm merely watching the show. If the woman truly is okay in a few days, you'll get out with a slap on the wrist, I'm sure. Until then..." He splayed his arms out in a shrug. "You'll be locked up in the cellars. Unless you want to try and make a run for it. I'll give you three seconds before I run after you, promise!"

____

"I see," Vale replied, slightly disappointed. "Well, I guess there's nothing else for it. Off to the jails then guardsmen, I haven't got all century!"

Vale had a slight frown on his face, wondering if the act of pranking such a snobbish woman was worth either the effort or the punishment involved. He had spent time in an iron cell before this, but never for too long or for something so relatively harmless. It was his first taste as to the personality of the people of Amarathia City and he wasn't entirely happy about it. He was beginning to miss the outside world before he even got to the jail.

The guards pushed him along towards a small tower that sat in the outer ring. It was mostly for housing local guardsmen, but the effort put into the architecture was rather extraordinary. He was led inside, then down below the street where several dungeon cells containing petty criminals were separated from the water system via thick, dry walls. As Vale found himself pushed into one and locked in with nothing but a candlelight to let him see, he soon realized the walls weren't enough to hide the sound of running water. He knew it would quickly get on his nerved, so he sat down on the provided sleeping slab and moaned.

____

"You are surprising," came that similar voice, the elf who had been chiding the man before. "You look so nefarious that I thought you were going to curse everyone in that spot and make a getaway, but I was wrong. Did you get a case of the nerves? Found yourself unable to cast a spell?" he asked, leaning up against the cell bars. "What is your deal?"

____

"Even if I could make a daring escape, what would be the point? It would most certainly get me into more trouble than I am now and there's really no point in doing that, is there? My business in Amarathia is no more than fleeting curiosity. Nothing to become wanted for an actual crime over," Vale explained as he looked at the Elf. He couldn't see him as clearly as he would have liked due to the dimming of the candlelight, but he recognized the voice and basic outline.

"I would return that question to you. What are you doing here? Do you have a habit of being in dungeons?"

____

"You could say I was a little curious. Perhaps I just like torturing the guilty with my gabber, too. I doubt you're a truly nefarious person. Either that, or you're so dastardly intelligent that you're fooling us all with simple trickery." His shoulders raised up in a shrug.

He moved over what seemed to be a tiny stool and landed himself on it.

"What's your name? Where do you travel from?"

____

"Vale of Ayabal," spoke he, speaking the truth as plainly as a man could. There was little point to hiding his identity, or the location of his origins. Either Ayabal was known to the man, or it wasn't; with a similar outcome on the subject of his name. Neither result was likely to change his current predicament.

"I suppose you're not here to help me out, then? To spring the lock and set me free?"

____

The elf's eyes flew open at the mention of the name. He leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees. "The Vale of Ayabal! What a brave and corrupted soul you are, to have been able to come back from such a dark place. I will not let you out, no. But if that woman really is alright, you must tell me the story of how you escaped, and I will help you stay out of trouble afterwards. Deal?"

____

"No escape, no tale," Vale declared rather stubbornly, before turning back to where the rather uncomfortable bed had been set in the dungeon cell and sitting down. "Staying out of trouble is boring anyway, don't you think? Boring still to be stuck in here though, and since I can't actually get in trouble in this cell, seeing as you're not going to let me out and all, there's really no point in me speaking is there?"

He smiled, then pushed his legs up on the bed and lay down in the dark. "Besides, the stories people tell of Ayabal are interesting. I don't want to ruin them with truth."

____

"Some servant of the Queen I'd be if I let out a prisoner for a few stories," the elf laughed. He held up a hand in defeat, then shook his head. "Very well. Perhaps in a few days you'd be more willing to give me these stories. If the woman does not have any true ailment, I feel you will get off lightly. Though, there will be some kind of repercussion, I expect. You'll have eyes on you." He stood up from the stool, opening the door. "I'll drop by for a visit in a few days."

as written by Script

As the guard opened the door to leave, he was met by a beautiful elven woman who had been about to enter. She was clad in a blue-and-violet dress decorated with an elegant display of multicoloured patterns, and her blonde hair was cut in a relatively short bob of rippling locks. Her hair framed her cerulean eyes and partway covered the matching malachite studs she wore in her ears. She raised a single delicate eyebrow at him. "I was not informed that I was to expect company in my audience with the prisoner." Her voice was cool and devoid of any hint as to her sentiment, and aside from the raised eyebrow, her face remained a well practised mask of neutrality.

The woman in question was none other than Melisandre Dumir, a highly ranked member of the House of the Palm. House Dumir was one of the city's most powerful noble factions, and a vocal opponent of the Queen (though of course, only within the realms of what etiquette allowed). Despite this opposition, they demanded a great deal of respect even from their rivals. "I assume that you were on your way out, Guardsman..?" the unspoken question of the man's name hung in the air before her pursed lips.

Why it was that such an influential noblewoman was interested in meeting Vale was uncertain, but it may well have been linked to the fact that the woman he 'assaulted' was a member of House Dumir herself, albeit a fairly unimportant one.

as written by Nevan

"I'm not too concerned about repercussions," Vale told the man with his hands crossed over his stomach. "As soon as I'm released I plan to leave the city. I don't think I like it here, it feels like you're watched no matter who you are."

He was planning to speak further, but a rather fetching Elven woman of obvious high rank in the realm entered their quaint, dank little dungeon to, presumably, speak to him about his punishment. He did hold a slither of hope that she might release him, but he wasn't certain if he wanted to be held to favour by a machiavellian player of politics and femme fatale. Not that he had much choice, considering all she had to do was open his cell without proper permission and he would find himself wanted for escape and no doubt indebted to her for help he would likely be unable to refuse. Vale frowned, trying to find a way to politely get out of the situation before it even began.

"Welcome to my humble abode."

as written by Darkandar

The courtyard was awash in the sounds of battle. Mace and sword alike clanged against one another or smote upon heavy iron shields with great booming thuds. The Altari warriors of House Dumir grunted with their efforts, booted feet tromping to and fro in the sand covered area devoted to their exertions. There were set at intervals, great baskets that held all assortment of weapons. The sun shone brilliantly off a wickedly curved blade affixing a steel rod. This a strikingly tall Altari in chain mail drew from a nearby basket, hefted it experimentally before giving it a twirl, laughed, and leaped at a shorter, more stocky Altari man who in response deftly deflected the blow aside with a massive two-handed blade.

"That all ye got Rin? I've seen whelps scarcely strong enough to hold a weapon with twice the speed!" Taunted the grizzled old weapon master whose dark hair had silvered at the temples. There was no malice in his blue eyes though, and the smile that split his scarred face bespoke love and pride, and of course jest.

The mocking words only succeeded in coaxing another laugh out of Rinion as they locked weapons momentarily. Rinion barred his teeth and said with effort, "You're not too bad yourself old man. Father might just decide to keep you on another year to train those whelps you are so very fond of."

They broke apart and Rinion moved with a dancer's grace, allowing Korthas to take mighty arcing cuts at him which he evaded with quick side steps or blocked with the length of metal he held, pushing the blows harmlessly aside like rain off a duck's back. Eventually the men were both panting, neither one able to best the other. They both chuckled, clapped one another on the back. Korthas, having noticed the other soldiers were doing a bit more gawking then practicing, uttered an oath that brought them swiftly back to their endeavors. The two men sought shade under a length of canvas for that purpose, and refreshed themselves from a water jug and cups offered by servants in Dumir livery.

" I hear tale, ye'll be headin' some expedition off to Vale knows where, Rin," said the older man very casually after a long draught and contented sigh, as if the topic were no interest of his.

"Aye. Father has agreed", he said matter factly, his face a mask of determination that would brook no argument. "The fight's out there!" he exclaimed with a jerk of his empty water cup, "not here. The only way our House will regain it's former glory is to seek it on the battlefield. Against those void beasts that crawl about our borders," he said with a bit of ire in his tone, his fist clenched.

"Aye, Rin. Aye. Ye'll get your chance, boy. Just don't be in a rush to get yourself killed. I've been out there. Those things are devils, I say. Your father knows whats best for thee. Don't look at me like that Rin. I agree with you too, it's time you went out on your own. I'm just an old man preaching caution. Take it as you will," said Korthas, pouring another cup and sipping as his blue gaze drifted over the warriors in the yard, lost in thought.

Rinion sighed and set his cup down on the table. Patted Korthas on the shoulder. "Damnit, I know. I would do to heed your words. I just..."

Rinion was cut off with a firm grip on his forearm. "You want to get on with it, aye, I get ye. Ye're no fool, Rin. I wish ye luck on the venture. I'll pick my very best to protect thee, ye can count on that," said Kor with another grin as the two men locked eyes.

"Well now. I suppose you wouldn't be interested in going another round. Seeing as you can scarcely lift that mug of water without the shakes," said Rinion with a wry smile.

The older man gave Rinion a playful shove. "I'll give ye the shakes lad! Of that ye can count on!" roared Korthas. Another spar ensued.

as written by Sentry

"I am Maiver Falyell, your common arrow-slinging Windrider. And you're quite right, Lady Melisandre. I was on my way out immediately," fumbled the man, bowing appropriately as he stepped to the side to let her in. "This one is an interesting fellow. Lots of stories to tell... if you can get him to tell them," he informed her before slipping out the door. He flashed them both a wink before he was gone.

as written by Script and Nevan

"I'm sure." Melisandre stated flatly as she waited for Maiver to depart. "Good day, Windrider."

Once he was gone, she stepped across the room to stand outside of Vale's cell. "Your name is Vale, yes?" she asked, but didn't pause to wait for an answer. "My sources inform me that you are from Ayabal, the void city. My sources also inform me that you are imprisoned here for assaulting my second cousin in the market earlier today, awaiting trial."

She paused to await confirmation, but whether or not Vale gave it, she pressed on. "You may not be aware of the way that things work in Amarathia. You may have spent time in places such as Tai'emroth, where noble blood means little if anything. But here, that is not the case. Your little curse embarrassed my cousin in public, shaming her and by association bringing disgrace on the entirety of House Dumir. Such an insult is not one taken lightly. My family can quite easily arrange for your stay here in prison to be both lengthy and ... uncomfortable."

The woman smiled, "But I am not interested in my cousin's desires for petty vengeance. I am a woman who sees an opportunity where it presents itself, and you my dear are very much an opportunity. I require of you a service. If you perform it, not only will I guarantee your freedom, I will also reward you handsomely."

____

Vale gave a wave of fluttering fingers to the leaving visitor, telling him, "goodbye Windrider. May you always ride on the wind; preferably not the biological kind."

With a slight chortle as the man left, Vale turned his attention to the noblewoman and sat up on his bed in order to listen to her words with a modicum more respect. She spoke well, but by the end of her speech he found himself both bored and mocking her words by matching her syllables with "blah blah blah" vocalized a tone and volume just below hers.

"Perhaps it's true that noble blood is the be-all and end-all in this city, but surely you're not so arrogant as to think I actually care?" He questioned her, with a brow raised slightly above the other. "You think I'm from Ayabal, yes? The void city? Ruled by the Spider-Queen and her army of monstrosities? Ask yourself, exactly, why a man who fits that description would even in the slightest bother to get involved in squabbling house politics and similar such nonsense? If I were truly from Ayabal, I would certainly find such things far below me."

He gave himself a wise nod, proud of himself for perhaps foolishly talking back to a woman who unfortunately, despite all his claims, had far more influence than him. He paused for a moment or two more, wondering what else he should say.

"... On the other hand, if that man was locked in a dungeon he probably wouldn't say no to such a generous offer."

He stood up and held out his hand through the bars. His smile was suspicious.

"Shake on it?"

____

"I hold no expectation that you will show interest in my politics, nor care for my nobility. But it is as you say. You are a man locked in a dungeon, with the threat of a very disproportionate sentence hanging over you."

She waved a hand dismissively, making no move to approach the bars of the cell. "Handshakes are a human tradition, I will be satisfied with your word. But are you not interested in hearing the nature of the service I require, before you agree to it?"

____

"And I'm sure you'll use your influence to make my sentence particularly harsh if I don't comply?" Vale pondered, a slight frown as he pulled his hand back behind the bars. "But yes, feel free to tell me what it is you actually want. I'm sure it's nothing particularly horrible, unethical or illegal."

He began to examine the room outside his cell, wondering if there was anything he could possibly use to make some sort of escape if things went awry.

____

"I require your expertise for an expedition. A relic of my family was lost in the days leading up to the blight, a powerful artefact that had been passed down for generations. Recently, I have received information that has led us to its whereabouts. An ancient ruined city deep in the underground tunnels used by the Nas'jeii and other, even darker creatures."

Melisandre paused to ensure that Vale was taking all this in before continuing. "Our first attempt at exploring these tunnels failed, as we discovered that the city and much of the surrounding tunnel system has been tainted by the void. That's where you come in. I understand that you have abilities that allow you to navigate tainted areas with greater ease than others. You know the dangers of heavily tainted ground more than any."

"If you agree to serve as a guide for this expedition and aid in the retrieval of my family's heirloom, not only will I ensure your freedom, I will reward you handsomely. Do we have a deal?"

____

Vale couldn't help but grin as she explained to him what she wanted him to do. How marvellous, he thought, as he rubbed his shoulder. "Well then, this sounds like quite an adventure, doesn't it? I must say immediately that you have piqued my interest, so I might very well accept your proposal. First, though, I have to ask you several questions to get a... Starting idea as to whether your proposed venture can even be pulled off."

"First," he began, just as he began to pace, "what are these Nas'jeii? I either know them by a different name or have never heard of them at all, though I am more inclined to believe the former. Second, do you have a small, highly-trained team well-versed in matters of the void, or at least resistant to it's influences? Third, what exactly is this heirloom and why must you go to such trouble to retrieve it? Finally, are you even aware of what you're trying to do? Fully aware, I am inclined to elaborate, that even if this expedition succeeds you can expect more than half of those on it to perish in the process. And I must mention that this figure takes into account that I will be, as you say, a 'guide'."

____

"The Nas'jeii are referred to by many as spiderkin. They are half spider, half man in appearance and usually keep to their caverns. During the blight, they turned traitor and threw their lot in with the void - but I'm sure you know that part." Melisandre remained static, watching Vale pace as he spoke and answering each of his questions in turn. "The expedition team is a mix of those with expert knowledge of the void, or other areas relevant to the expedition, and those whose martial or magical prowess will be needed to support that knowledge."

Though it didn't show on her face, Melisandre experienced a pang of annoyance as she recalled how one such expert - Savania Dawnhand - had been pulled away by House Calenor not days before she started organising the expedition. The exact specifics of what the heirloom is are unimportant for the time being. Suffice to say it presents no danger to you, and representatives of my house will be with the expedition who are able to identify it and provide any pertinent knowledge when it becomes relevant."

Finally, she nodded her head curtly. "I am fully aware of the danger such an expedition poses, but I and my family agree that the danger is worth the risk. My own step-son will be accompanying the expedition in person, to ensure its success. All who volunteer for this are fully aware of the magnitude of the danger."

____

"Ahh yes, turned traitor. 'tis such a crime that those who are forced back into the dark of the underground and hated as disgusting, evil creatures would embrace the arrival of other such beings as they fell out of the sky, isn't it?" Vale mocked, grinning as he wrapped his fingers around the bars of his cell and finally nodded.

"Well, you have yourself a guide as soon as you get me out of this dungeon. I'll need a day or two to prepare, of course, but you probably won't have to wait long until we can embark on this little quest of yours."

____

If the noblewoman found Vale's mockery irritating, she did not show it. She merely nodded courteously. "I will make the necessary arrangements. You'll have what you need for your preparations, I'll assign an aide to you to ensure you can acquire whatever it is."

And, of course, to ensure that he didn't cut and run. It was unspoken, but obvious enough.

With that, Melisandre bowed her head and made her way to the door and out.

as written by Script

Elsewhere in the city...

House Vardis' estate in Amarathia's inner ring was a quietly elegant affair - understated in design by comparison to many of the more opulent houses favoured by some of the nobility, yet still possessing an unquestionable wealth to its fine workmanship and trimmings. The silvery gate was decorated with a symbol of a crescent moon, and led into a pristine front gardens with a small network of walkways leading past water features, flower beds and sculpted hedges. The pathway led up to the estate itself, where a pair of closed wooden doors engraved with elegant patterns barred entry. A tasteful mural of the night sky was located above the door.

Two guards in the livery of House Vardis manned the gate, whilst a further two stood by the door. Those at the gate had been informed to expect a visitor from House Orbryn, and to lead them around the winding pathway to the estate's back garden.

There, the red-haired matriarch of House Vardis sat daintily upon the edge of a water-fountain, a statue of a warrior bearing a sword and shield curved in the fashion of a crescent posed serenely in its centre. Lady Amyra Vardis was clad in an indigo dress embroidered with silver and studded with sapphires, and wore an array of jewellery in both silver and white gold decorated with sapphire, diamond and malachite gems.

While she waited for her guest to arrive, she hummed, weaving a pattern of light in the air with one blue-painted nail. To those versed in astronomy, it was recognisable as one of the constellations drawn in the night sky: Ailex, or 'The Hourglass'.

Back