any books to recommend?

abiire

bleeding colors.
i'm quite curious to hear what everyone is into, genre wise and writing style. feel free to suggest both modern new books and classics, i really love all literature. personally i'm trying to get into russian or greek literature mainly tho as i'd like to begin learning those languages. also here are some of my own recommendations down below too!
prince of thorns;;​
it is honestly such a cheap and underrated book. it does have its flaws, hence the low price, but the writing magically makes up for it. the characters are all made realistic so that you find it hard to like any before you get used to them. but once you do it is such a joy to see those nasty bastards joke and live life. of course i do not support a lot of things they did, hence read with caution. overall the story that follows young traumatized jorgy on his ventures took me little time to read just because there was no room to put it down! it's filled with amazing plot points at every page!
-mark lawrence

sapiens;;​
an incredible study into the human evolution and everything that shaped us. the book is written with a neutral tone, so no matter your belief or opinion it is a good resource for learning further plus it provides sources! the language isn't too advanced and most sections are very clear. each point is separated neatly plus given multiple examples for an explanation. definitely suggest it to be on your reading list if you're looking to study or analyze informative writing.
-yuval noah harari

the king's damosel;;​
a modern twist to an old classic. the arthurian tale is now told from a different perspective, led by a heroine who seems to have everything in her life go wrong. there is a disney movie based on this film titled 'the quest for camelot', altough i'd argue the book has much worse topics. read this one with caution, since it does project a lot of medieval views and politics.
-vera chapman

Honestly, I’ll read basically anything by Stephen King, but if I had to pick a specific book I’d say Doctor Sleep is my favorite right now. It’s essentially the sequel to The Shining, but it’s very good. The Dark Tower series is also really good if you can survive the slower pacing of the first book, and so is The Outsider. Since these are all King novels, they’re gonna be pretty dark (The Outsider in particular is super graphic right from the get-go), but I tore through all of them pretty quickly since the plots are all interesting once you get into them :3

I'd recommend some classics that I love! Ulysses by James Joyce and Paradise Lost by John Milton both come to mind! The former is an incredibly written and wonderfully experimental central piece of modernist/Irish literature and the latter is the most influential epic poem of English literary history and the basis for a good chunk of contemporary Christian thought. An example of this is that it's the origin of the contemporary characterization of its protagonist, Satan, in popular culture! Both are great reads!

For non-fiction? Rites of Spring by Modris Eksteins.

Sorcerer to the Crown

Is a story about racism and sexism. Its a tale of a black sorcerer who was constantly looked down upon by his peers despite being the strongest one of them all.

Me before You and the Sequels

Just wipes tears s-so beautiful. Just tells you about the amount of drama and hardship everyone, even an unassuming girl in a small village, has to go through. I loved it and I fell in love with Louisa Clark.

The Rithmatist

Is a really interesting fantasy story, filled with mystery and provides a view of the non-magical folk in most magic stories. It revolves around magic-users who were able to manipulate chalk drawings in order to attack and defend against chalk monsters. It's also very unique (to me, that is) as the protagonist, a boy who can draw perfect circles and is really good at math, cannot do the magic but another girl can but is awful at it. Basically putting power in a dove's hands and nothing in a giant's hands.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Okay, yes, this is a book published almost 60 years ago-- my grandpappy even read it when it came out, but hear me out! It was such a very interesting read, I knew nothing about the book going into it, just that my grandfather praised it (so I knew that at least it was going to be raunchy and a little racist) but I was so surprised with this read. I ended up switching it over to audio books and that made the read even more spectacular (John C. Reilly did a phenomenal job). If you've ever read/watched Girl Interrupted, it is very similar, in that they are both set in mental hospitals in the 60s and the protagonist breaks out of the hospital with the crazy sidekick with a 'stick it to the man' attitude.

I'll Give You The Sun

This is a complete change of pace from my other recommendation, but this was another book I couldn't put down-- A unique, fun read. Lots of heartwarming parts, funny parts, but also more deeper, serious parts as well. A pair of twins (brother and sister) fall in love with the same guy. The sister being a cool, confident, surfer chick and the brother a shy, reserved, artist-- she ends up hooking up with the hunk, breaking her brothers heart and they don't talk for years...until.... ;). I think this is a really good, underrated read, I don't think it gets the recognition it deserves!

Ahh, also, thank you for the suggestions guys! I am in need of new reads, especially during this quarantine!​

I definitely recommend Skullduggery Pleasant.(Still cant decide if its about Skullduggery or Valkyrie.)
The book is about a 'mortal' girl. And a man attacks her, looking for her uncles key while her parents are stuck in a hotel from a flooded road. And The 'Skeleton Detective' Skulduggery Pleasant, comes in, makes some witty sentences, beats them up. (This might not sound major but it is HE LOVES HIS HAT) And Stephanie (The girl) Steals his hat and tells him to take her with him or she would crumple the hat.Skullduggery is horrified about his precious hat and takes her to a library, under the control of one Sorcerer 'Miss China Sorrows.' Her ability is pretty much anyone who sees her is love at first sight. The main Villain in book 1 is Serpine(Who killed Skulduggery's family) Stephanie in book 2 / 3 became Valkyrie Cain. (No more spoilers :p)

I have to recommend Glen Cook's The Black Company.
Its quite a good mix of medieval fantasy and some sci-fi with modern aspects of a Mercenary soldier of fortune company of men and women.

Also, the lovely noir detective Phillip Marlowe, written in books by Raymond Chandler... love the style.

Anything by Sarah J Maas is amazing but I reccomend reading her series in order from her first series to come out, Throne of Glass, to her A Court of Thorns and Roses series (which is turning into a T.V. show on Hulu, I was kinda hoping Throne of Glass would be first to hit the screen but whatever.) and then she just released the first book in her new series Crescent City. Sarah is my favorite author!

Other than that, you can never go wrong with The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, or the Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout.

Hope this helps! And if you ever wanna discuss any of these books with someone, I've read all these series a million times each. Love them all to pieces!!

I'm rather new to the site but a good but unknown series I started recently was the Magisterium series which starts with the iron trial. It has a lot of drama and unexpected turns which keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time you're reading it. I couldn't sleep until I finished the first book due to how addictive it was. :emoji_grin:

HMMMMMMMMMMMM i dont even half to think when i suggest books to people, i already know what im gonna say ^^

THE YOUNG ELITES SERIES
written by Marie Lu. before i get to the MC, gotta tell the history; there was the Blood Fever which went through the world i wanna say something about it but its spoilers and infected people. it marked some, killed some, and left the others normal. the people who were marked were named malfettos and said to be bad luck, although that was just an excuse from the king for his bad ruling. the MC is Adelina Amouteru, a malfetto with silver hair that was abused by her father. she ran away and was later about to be executed (wont say why-- read to find out) when she was saved by the Daggers, a group of malfettos with powers, which were called Young Elites. she was taken in, and then at the end there was a whole plot twist that i loved and hated at the same time that go me to read The Rose Society, the second book, which is completely different from TYE, and its great. turns into 3 different plots with some same plot points sticking through it all

i ranted, yes. do i love this series, yes. READ IT.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories. It's unusual, playful, funny and fun. While it's described as a children's book, it is a satisfying read for those who like really creative fantasy.

Anything by Sarah J Maas is amazing but I reccomend reading her series in order from her first series to come out, Throne of Glass, to her A Court of Thorns and Roses series (which is turning into a T.V. show on Hulu, I was kinda hoping Throne of Glass would be first to hit the screen but whatever.) and then she just released the first book in her new series Crescent City.
I just pick up Crescent City today. It'll be my first Sarah J Maas read.
My favorite book that I go back to every so often is The Secret of Dragonhome. I don't know what it is about it, but it's just so good and it's the book that got me into fantasy.
I also loved A Man Called Ove if you want a realistic fiction read.

I would recommend The Zones of Thought series. A fire upon the deep and A deepness in the skies are really some of the best space operas out there. Super interesting aliens (what if you had a singular alien entity that was actually a pack of dogs?) and a really creative universe it's based in (The laws of physics get more or less loose depending on your "depth" in the galaxy). Also heart-pounding and intense. I was very much on the edge of my seat when reading them.

Last edited:
Back