Any songs/artists/genres you're ashamed that you listen to sometimes?

Erasmvs

I mean, there's no such thing as bad taste or good taste, but people generally tend to label and have strong opinions about some artists or genres. Not like I care, but I also kinda wish my taste was more clean and mature (I tend to listen to literally anything). I'm kinda curious if it's only me who feels this?

Is there any song or stuff you're ashamed that you're listening to, or perhaps did you transcend into a higher state of being where you can listen to anything without filters?

I'm personally disappointed in myself that I listen to mainstream songs sometimes (not all of them, just the ones I like) like Shakira, Lady Gaga, David Guetta, Nicky Minaj, Rihanna... and I also like these overly hyped "remixed versions of popular songs" mixes with clickbait girls in as thumbnail. ._. I usually listen to those mixes when I work out.

Also sorry if this post offended anyone, I'm just trying to create this thread for people to see that their music taste is OK, whatever they're listening to. :)

I'll occasionally listen to some really, really out there genres. Some really weird post rock and Russian hardbass are usually the kind of stuff I don't like to share.

There was a period of about forty minutes one time where I had zero filters and tried listening to really garbage electronic music. Like, breakcore or some weird stuff. The kind of music that's closing in on 200 beats per minute and you have no clue what's going on because there's so much obnoxious bass you can't understand what's going on.

I'll occasionally listen to some really, really out there genres. Some really weird post rock and Russian hardbass are usually the kind of stuff I don't like to share.

There was a period of about forty minutes one time where I had zero filters and tried listening to really garbage electronic music. Like, breakcore or some weird stuff. The kind of music that's closing in on 200 beats per minute and you have no clue what's going on because there's so much obnoxious bass you can't understand what's going on.
I'm actually proud of myself for liking post-rock. I mean not genuinely proud proud, but it's an OK genre. One of my favourites honestly, and I don't mind sharing this with people. I think I heard about breakcore, but have you heard about dark psytrance? DUDE.
(CW: epilepsy)
(listen at 3:00)

I usually I'm satisfied with myself for liking these very underground genres, what I feel guilty about is listening to these generic, overrated stuff that goes on and on and on in gyms and fast food places, aka mainstream music. I think it's really beautiful when someone takes the time and effort to search for new and interesting stuff rather than just turning on the radio and listening to the same thing all the time (I had periods like this), but hey, who cares, just listen to what you love. ^^

I've listened to PsyTrance on more than one occasion, and its usually pretty good. As for post rock, I think it's pretty good, but some of the more out there stuff in post rock, where it gets very, very ambient is a huge turn off. Overall, though, I don't have a problem telling someone what my favorite genres are. It's only awkward if they don't know what it is.

"I listen to Post-Rock, Stoner metal, gothic, and SynthWave. How about you?"

"Uhhh, rock."

"Gee, interesting."

Is usually how most conversations about music go.

Also synthwave.

Lel.
I never know what to tell people because I don't even know my favourite song's genres xD
So I just say psychedelia, neurofunk, rock/metal, newschool hiphop.
But honestly I listen to much much more than that.
Here's my mixcloud, I usually repost my favourite favourites. But my other favourites are also pretty good, just varied. Kinda new to the mixcloud site so I'm experimenting a lot.
https://www.mixcloud.com/neontheawkward/

My tastes have always been out there for my peers, as I didn't find a friend that liked K-Pop as much as I do until college.

When I was younger, I was a bit ashamed for not liking the mainstream stuff, but now I've fully embraced my uniqueness.

What people don't realise is that K-Pop encompasses so many genres and subject topics (CC button is your friend):

From totally bonkers songs about just wanting food...

To awesome rock power ballads...

To amazing indie rockers...

To brilliant vocal groups...

and to amazing rappers (sorry for such a long post! :p)

Last edited:
My tastes have always been out there for my peers, as I didn't find a friend that liked K-Pop as much as I do until college.

When I was younger, I was a bit ashamed for not liking the mainstream stuff, but now I've fully embraced my uniqueness.

What people don't realise is that K-Pop encompasses so many genres and subject topics (CC button is your friend):

From totally bonkers songs about just wanting food...

To awesome rock power ballads...

To amazing indie rockers...

To brilliant vocal groups

and to amazing rappers (sorry for such a long post! :p)
Nice!
I think K-pop is pretty popular now so you shouldn't feel bad about it. :) People seem to love it.

Nice!
I think K-pop is pretty popular now so you shouldn't feel bad about it. :) People seem to love it.

Aw thanks~ <3 Growing up in the countryside, a lot of my peers didn't even know it existed (at least until Gangnam Style hit - which is not everything that K-Pop represents :p)

Aw thanks~ <3 Growing up in the countryside, a lot of my peers didn't even know it existed (at least until Gangnam Style hit - which is not everything that K-Pop represents :p)
Oh, I see. I might get into K-Pop, I'll see. :) Not what I usually listen to anyway..
I'm more into these dark, cold, heavy, overly fast or overly slow, moody instrumental electronic songs and mixes. :)

I think people shouldn't be ashamed of what truly represents them.
I'm mostly ashamed of things that do not represent me but catch my attention anyway.

K-Pop is just kinda, bleahg. It's music defined by ethnicity. I don't have anything against the music personally, but I try to group my music by how it sounds, rather than what people are playing it.

That and the fandom makes me want to blow my brains out any time I try to get close to it.

K-Pop is just kinda, bleahg. It's music defined by ethnicity. I don't have anything against the music personally, but I try to group my music by how it sounds, rather than what people are playing it.

That and the fandom makes me want to blow my brains out any time I try to get close to it.

Totally understand your point of view :p As someone who listens to music regardless of who plays it or the language (hello Eurovision :p ), I personally am more for the music as opposed as to the artists themselves :)

I cant help it even trough i dont understand anything but it has something that has me opening the youtube link every now and then. and the song only starts at 2 min 4 sec.

For me, it would be Toy Box. ANYTHING by Toy Box. I played 'Best Friends' one time as a joke and now my siblings have branded me for life.

While I'm mostly open to a good number of genres in music, I'd say that Brazilian funk is the one that makes me feel like taking a shower, inside and out. Most of the time I check it because the beats used are good (And being a fan of electronic music and its billions of sub-genres, that works perfectly for me), though the ridiculously sexual lyrics and otherwise shallow themes leave me embarrassed at myself.

Back