Arcane Workshop [Playing Mechanics]

Shadowsong

Leader of the Watchers
27a23b8151e117f4776061cc3c1775cd.jpg

Here, one will find the mechanics of how this game will be played!

POSTING:

I would ask my players to remember that you don't have complete control of your character. Simple actions, such as walking, talking, and the like will be under your control. However, for more... impactful actions, I will determine the successes and or failures of the things your characters are attempting, so don't post any outcomes. I understand this may take an adjustment for some players, so if you're unsure about anything, please don't hesitate to ask questions!

In terms of general post length, a basic 4-6 sentence paragraph minimum is what I would ask of my players, but I will be understanding of occasional shorter post as long as it's not made consistent.

Prologues, Interludes, & Epilogues

Prologues are going to be the beginning of each chapter which will be about 500-1,000 words that will set the stage for the upcoming events. Players characters will be incorporated in these sections, portrayed to be interacting with NPCs. Prologues are going to be designed to give players a good idea as to what is going on in the story and of the atmosphere around them.

Interludes are going to be between the different sections of each chapter to transition the players from one section to another. These will be much shorter and are generally just going to be NPC dialogue offering information on what to do or a general gist of what is going on now.

Epilogues are similar to prologues, but at the end of each chapter. Epilogues will also be about 500-1,000 words, designed to close out the chapter, either with revealing new enemies, allies, places, or significant story progression.

Combat Posting [Battle Phase] - Rounds & Actions

So combat posting (otherwise called the "Battle Phase") will be organized by rounds. In each round, everyone will posted based on the number of actions they have during the turn. Turns let me keep track of what's happening and who's done what and when. Cooldowns and effects of abilities revolve around these rounds.

As you probably noticed in the Character Building Pt. 1 tab, Most abilities have cooldown periods or effects that revolve around rounds. Actions are what characters do during each round, and certain abilities, traits, or items, can grant multiple actions in one turn. The base "rate of action" is simply one, but can be increased through abilities, traits, or items.

In proportion to the board and attacking and using spells, spells and weapons will specify their given ranges, measured by space. Melee attacks, however, are simply 1 space. Characters can move and attack in the same post. When this is done, just make sure to post at the bottom that you moved from where to where on the board. In perspective to the board, players can move or attack any direction (straight, backwards, diagonal, etc.).

At the top of every Battle Phase post, I would ask each player to add their character's name (kind of like a title) so I can easily identify who is acting. Under their name, I want the player to post their statistics as so:
Kal'dorei Hero
Health:
11/14
Mana: 4/5 | Balance: 2/5 | Feedback: 1/5
Spell #1 - Effects (i.e. Stunned) | Remaining Duration
Spell #2 - Effects (i.e. Cursed) | Remaining Duration
Spell #3 - Effects (i.e. Bleeding) | Remaining Duration
Etc.

There wont be a specific posting order, but every player can only post once in each Round unless modified by abilities, traits, or items.

Outside of the Battle Phase

Dialogue, story progression, and anything else outside of the Battle Phase will be executed like any other RP. Players will post their actions and dialogue and I will speak for the NPC's actions and dialogue. If a player would like to perform a specific action (i.e. to perceive, analyze, investigate, etc.), then I will determine the outcome based on the respective character's attribute and skill levels in said action.

Back