Ardin's School of the Elements/ASE (Discussion thread)

Wolfy Dalfyry

SCREEEEEEEE
A long time ago, longer than anyone can know, a man only known today by his last name, Ardin, found that man could manipulate four elements. Air, earth, fire, and water. He also found that one could only control one of those elements. Intrigued by his discovery, he dug deeper, found four people who knew how, and created a school to teach people how they could control their element with the knowledge of those four. Though Ardin is long gone, his school remains open, with potential students scrambling to join. Despite the amount of sparring that the different houses do with each other, they are encouraged to unite, not as their respective elements, but as one, the secret ultimate protection for the school. The appropriate age to join is eleven, and the age at which most students leave the school is 17.

When new students come to ASE, they are first sorted into a house that represents each element. The way a student is sorted is: Said student enters a completely stone room that has a spiral cut into the floor. There are four pedestals in each corner. The water pedestal is more of a bowl with water inside, the fire pedestal has a piece of wood burning, the earth pedestal has a rock, and the air pedestal has a ball of mist floating above it. The student who's in the room then goes to each pedestal and touches the element on that pedestal, fire last for the student's safety. If the element they touch does the opposite of what it normally does, then the student belongs in that house. With water, it would be harder to break the surface. With earth, it would bounce. With air, the ball of mist would fall, but not break. With fire, it wouldn't burn the student. Fire students are stereotyped to be bold, protective, and the ones with the most offense, along with Earth. Water and Air students are stereotyped to be the thinkers of the four and are more careful.

The lessons are Introduction to the Elements, Element Essentials, Uses of the Elements, Combative Nature of the Elements, Uses of Mixing the Elements, and The Healing Properties of the Elements. Let me know if there should be any others.

Can you learn how to control your element or teach how to control your element?

This is where you can discuss the ASE RP, like talking about where the plot should go, and ask each other about different things! I'm just going to let you guys run wild, this is for the roleplayers! Have fun! And, follow the rules, please. Send me a message if someone is breaking the rules.

Rules: No being rude, no godmodding, ask for consent to kill, script style is okay to use, please don't use one-liners, any amount of paragraphs is welcome.

So, where should we start? My inclination would to place ourselves at the beginning of a year and build something from it. One last thing, what is the tech era that we exist in?

Last edited:
Waiting for opening post, starting off the year with a student address may help set the scene.

So how does your system of magic work?
it says manipulate in the small post you have up there but that would hint to --> there is fire in the fire place and I can move it around, make it wax and wane. Would you mean being able to conjure fire as well as manipulate it? Are the four schools just a vague branch of the over all magic meaning if you used water magic with training and knowledge could make ice, mist, drain heat and chill the air as much as filter it to make gills or siphon?
We talked in the pm and you said there was no spell work or anything of that nature but I am unsure if its in that magic in this world is new still and its has not been delved into in depth or rather that magic works more like avatar the last air bender were you just have a thought in your head and take some sort of action to make it occur mixed with its power and effect hand in hand with your understanding of that element?

I ask due too my character being earth magic with sights of expanding and exploring magic as well as seeing if there are more than just the four major schools of magic apart from what is known. Exactly what does earth itself mean as you could argue crystals and salt are "earth" so in my line of thought I would think at the start earth magic would just be moving stone and dirt around, could be refined to minerals and then metals like iron or OR branch out into new schools of magic like flora, life, mineral and force.

Or is it just These are the four elements only and all magic stems from some combo between them with collaboration: Fire+water = steam, Earth + Fire = lava with the defined point that fire is just fire and nothing more than that.

Lastly is there something like mana or some energy that we draw on or is it just a force of will type of thing?

So how does your system of magic work?
it says manipulate in the small post you have up there but that would hint to --> there is fire in the fire place and I can move it around, make it wax and wane. Would you mean being able to conjure fire as well as manipulate it? Are the four schools just a vague branch of the over all magic meaning if you used water magic with training and knowledge could make ice, mist, drain heat and chill the air as much as filter it to make gills or siphon?
We talked in the pm and you said there was no spell work or anything of that nature but I am unsure if its in that magic in this world is new still and its has not been delved into in depth or rather that magic works more like avatar the last air bender were you just have a thought in your head and take some sort of action to make it occur mixed with its power and effect hand in hand with your understanding of that element?

I ask due too my character being earth magic with sights of expanding and exploring magic as well as seeing if there are more than just the four major schools of magic apart from what is known. Exactly what does earth itself mean as you could argue crystals and salt are "earth" so in my line of thought I would think at the start earth magic would just be moving stone and dirt around, could be refined to minerals and then metals like iron or OR branch out into new schools of magic like flora, life, mineral and force.

Or is it just These are the four elements only and all magic stems from some combo between them with collaboration: Fire+water = steam, Earth + Fire = lava with the defined point that fire is just fire and nothing more than that.

Lastly is there something like mana or some energy that we draw on or is it just a force of will type of thing?
Time for me to finally address this. So, first, you would be able to do things such as move it around, but you would not be able to conjure it. Yes, the four houses are branches of the overall magic. If you used water magic with training and knowledge, you wouldn't be able to use the abilities you mentioned, as that changes temperature, and even throughout all the years that manipulation of the elements has been done, no one has been able to do that kind of thing.

Yes, if you were an experienced element user, then you would have to find that element, envision what you wanted it to do, and think of the limitations it had. Then, and only then, would the element would do what you wished. For example, a water user wanted to, say, put out a fire, and all they had to transport the water was their power. They would envision the water reaching the fire and putting it out, and understand that it could only go a certain distance before being too little to use. Then, if the water wasn't too far from the fire, it would do exactly what the water user wanted it to do.

I was not thinking about that, but now that I am, I have figured out what I wanted, and it would be both. At first, you would just move stone and dirt around, then it could be moved to metals, eventually minerals, and finally to plants and things like that. The other option is where Uses of Mixing the Elements come in.

There is not any kind of energy an element user would draw power from. It would simply be a force of will kind of thing. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I am terribly sorry for not answering sooner!

Last edited:
Time for me to finally address this. So, first, you would be able to do things such as move it around, but you would not be able to conjure it. Yes, the four houses are branches of the overall magic. If you used water magic with training and knowledge, you wouldn't be able to use the abilities you mentioned, as that changes temperature, and even throughout all the years that manipulation of the elements has been done, no one has been able to do that kind of thing.

Yes, if you were an experienced element user, then you would have to find that element envision what you wanted it to do, and think of the limitations it had. Then, and only then, would the element would do what you wished. For example, a water user wanted to, say, put out a fire, and all they had to transport the water was their power. They would envision the water reaching the fire and putting it out, and understand that it could only go a certain distance before being too little to use. Then, if the water wasn't too far from the fire, it would do exactly what the water user wanted it to do.

I was not thinking about that, but now that I am, I have figured out what I wanted, and it would be both. At first, you would just move stone and dirt around, then it could be moved to metals, eventually minerals, and finally to plants and things like that. The other option is where Uses of Mixing the Elements come in.

There is not any kind of energy an element user would draw power from. It would simply be a force of will kind of thing. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I am terribly sorry for not answering sooner!
Thanks for the post it clears things up, as to the end of your post about what you wanted in what magic could be why could it not be both? even in nature elements mix and mesh all the times, I think it would however for our characters to always have their element as the major filter for how its used--if a earth user studied the thoughts of a water user could make his stones smooth and flow without a jagged movement but if a wind user did the same would/could understand how to handle his currents better, handling them more like a river than wind.

But magic still seems newish in this world of yours and a rather stern dogma has formed around magic and its schools leaving its lengths and depths still unexplored? or is it more along the line that training some one in their family element makes a better use of time as the other demands a lot more?

What I mean by mixing elements is that different element users work together. Element users would not be able to use any of the other elements, but they can work with users of the other elements to make different things, just like you said, an earth user working with a fire user to make lava.

When I say 'longer than anyone can know', I mean decades, centuries, maybe even millennia! No one knows. People use elements outside of the school, of course, and have even tried extending their reach to other things such as weather, but have so far been unsuccessful. As for training someone in their family element, people cannot choose what they can and can't use. If someone thinks they can use an element, but get to the school and find that they cannot, there's no helping them, and if someone can't use an element that is practically traditional for their family, but can use another, then it's the same case.

even though the thread for the sorting room is open, is it still not open too post on or can we start posting? this is probably a stupid question, sorry :p
im just a little confused.

I am planning to start the roleplay with the beginning of the year for all the characters, which will have a welcome to the students, and the sorting for the eleven-year-olds.

Back