Are your Oc's your Gender?

Though I am male, I actually love playing the role of a female. Maybe more then a male. But for some reason, I tend to male them more of the punk type and an E-girl then an actual feminine person XD

I much prefer rping males (my gender is female). I'm actually trying to rp more females. :emoji_joy: I'm not very good at them for some reason.

Typically yes. I find it harder to roleplay from the POV of a male character. I haven't done it very much but when I do I try to do a little research to make sure I don't completely miss the mark.

This is an interesting question!! My OCs are almost always (95% of the time) opposite my gender. I've always gotten along better with boys rather than girls, and I've always had more masculine tendencies (though I am perfectly content being a female), so I guess I feel like I identify with male characters more? Or at least I find them easier to write.

Oftentimes, my OCs are male, but that doesn't mean I can't roleplay a female character. Males just happen to be my go-to for main characters. It's a "write what you know" kind of deal.

Mine aren't all my gender. Which is super interesting to me. As a long time gamer, I have almost exclusively played my gender unless it's a game where the character is a set one. But in MMO's, for example, I'm female. I did try a male character once but I couldn't stand dressing him, everything looked off. Frankly, he looked like a stripper...stripper warrior. He ended up having an altercation with the delete button. I was later told I should have tried a different race as the one I chose was too much man. :emoji_joy:

Anywho, I was asked about a year ago to play an antagonist for someone, and that character would be male. Not only male but a Celtic God. So my first foray into writing an RP character that was not my gender was a huge Irish God. Yikes! My writing partners gave me such encouragement and I did a good job with him. Now, I love to write male characters, almost more than female ones.

Most of my ocs are my gender (female) because it's easier for me to understand them and get in character. I have a few male and nonbinary ocs as well, though they tend to act slightly more feminine.

When I’m making OCs, my default reaction is to make them female because I myself am female and it feels like less work, in a way? But when I started making male and non-binary characters, I realized that it actually wasn’t hard at all for me to create characters that weren’t female! I create all my characters the exact same way, but even still, when I’m making up a character on the spot, they’re almost always female.

I used to play against my gender, but I don't play girls anymore. It gives me secondhand gender dysphoria and makes me paranoid that maybe my partner will start to see me as a girl since I play one.
So, now I stick to my gender or genderqueer ones. Mostly men, although I have 1 genderfluid character and a few nonbinary.

Last edited:
All of my main OCs are my gender, female, but I do have some male OCs. They're usually side characters, however, or I only use them in roleplays where I'm playing multiple characters.

Despite me being male, most of my OCs end up being female. I think it’s because I like drawing my OCs, but I’ve always found drawing women easier.

Despite me being male, most of my OCs end up being female. I think it’s because I like drawing my OCs, but I’ve always found drawing women easier.
oh I completely agree. its hard drawing men because they, uh, don't have, uh, you know what I mean XD

The majority of my OCs are actually male which is my opposite gender. I suppose rps i've done in the past have had too many female characters and not enough males for my liking. I also just enjoy playing any gender.

They're whatever is either...
  • Most appropriate for the story at hand,
  • Decided upon by dice roll.
Part of becoming a mature writer is getting past the squeamishness of writing the opposite sex (or any gender for that matter). You can't fill a book with only clones of yourself, you gotta diversify that palette. You'll make mistakes in doing so and, if you so choose, will grow from doing so.

I am a male, and I don't think that I have any particular aversion to playing as a female character, but most of my online characters are mysteriously male (maybe 90%).

By contrast, in tabletops I'm much closer to 50%/50%, and in video games where gender is a choice, it's probably closer to 10% male.

I'm pretty sure in video games it's because if I'm going to watch someone run all over the world, she may as well be pleasant to look at. Probably a touch chauvinist, but true.

But I can't explain the other two. Never really thought about it before now though. I'm really sort of curious about it now though.

I'll probably play a female character next just to see if it tells me anything about myself.

I mainly have male characters because I'm not very confident in playing other genders, but I still have a few female and NB characters regardless.

Back