Equinox Arorakh

As written by Jester, Glmstr and Script

Marcus sat atop his ivory destrier at the outskirts of the city. His city. Earned through blood and blood, birth and battle. His Lady wife and and children were not with him, save one, his oldest, but Leo was not by his side. Only his personal guard. Today, at this time and moment, he was here to observe justice being done. Dressed in his noble best, the silver-plated steel emblazoned with symbols of chalices and angels, his familial inheritance, the great-axe Ash Bane strapped with enormous care to the side of his steed. The ruler of the East's cold, flat eyes took in the scene before him.

The gallows. The chopping blocks. His heir moving his way through a multitude of prisoners, the leaders of the Mountain Rebellion that had just been put down.

This was the last step to maintaining to King's Peace. His own peace. The troublemakers and dissenters had no place in the Arauc, as citizens or slaves. The law was absolute in this regard. The minor leaders and rabble-rousers had been laid to rest already, the sword of his son stained red forever by this deed. Inconsequential. The young lad had become battle hardened, but there was a massive difference between killing to save yourself, or your men, and killing to end a conflict. Even in surrender, some lives could not be spared. Leontinus would hate him for this, or perhaps the boy would see the need for such a harsh task. Boy. He was a man grown. Overdue for a Lady of his own. High time to start his own family branch.

The final three were brought forward, beneath a massive willow by the river itself. They were to be hung and disemboweled. The nooses were being tied around their necks, other soldiers in the trees, preparing the opposing ends of the ropes. His son stood stone-eyed, like Marcus himself, sanguine dripping from the blade as he read off the last rites he'd read countless, countless times already this morning.

Without turning his head, the leader of the Arluanus would address the head of his guard, the only woman here at the execution site. "What do you think of all this? Speak honestly, or else I will know."

---

Next to the eastern king stood his mighty Sentinel, Eleonora Constantina. The only thing on the stage that towered higher than her was the glaive at her side, which glinted in the sunlight.

Her gaze snapped sideways when addressed by the lord with such an odd question. She dwelled on a response for several seconds, clearly thinking carefully of her retort.

"Don't hang them. I've a feeling of bravado, and I think it will send a good message."
Eleo stepped forward to the center of the stage, repeating her request to the executioners. "Undo any bindings they have, and line them up," she kept a hushed tone so that nobody offstage could hear her.

"People of Araucollem!" Her voice boomed to silence the chanting and booing crowds.
"Before me are three leaders of the recent rebellion. Traitors. Instead of voicing their disapproval or protesting, like civilized folk, they took up arms and sought to get what they want through violence and looting. They decided that killing innocent people and betraying their countrymen was their agen-"

The first rebel in the lineup suddenly spun around on his heels, clutching a dagger. The prisoner sprung towards the nearest person, who happened to be Leonitus.
"Die!" the man shrieked, before the end of his statement getting cut off by a pained scream. A gauntlet-clad arm had gripped his elbow and pulled him back to were he was supposed to stand, twisting the arm in its socket as a result. Eleonora wrenched the dagger from his grip with her other hand, and tossed it aside like a plaything.
"Wretched pig!Sneak a weapon onstage, just for that feeble excuse of an assassination?" She released his arm and replaced her hand in his armpit, with her other hand snaking between his legs to lift him up off of the ground. With a grunt, she threw the man into the tree, hearing several things snap and crush, but his pained moans did not stop.
She held out her hand to a nearby guard, who hesitantly handed her his spear. She threw the spear as a javelin at the crumpled and dying man, firmly impaling him against the willow.

"As I was saying," Constantina returned to her pacing, as if the previous incident never happened.
"Why, I wonder, did these men stoop as low as this? If they were so craven, why didn't they try to worm their way through the courts? Perhaps they are idiots and cowards?"
She stepped in front of the man on the opposite side of the would-be assassin, when the next prisoner spat on her as she walked by.

Without a word, her hand held his neck with a crushing grip, lifting him off of his feet...
and then slamming him back-first into the floor. The wood strained and creaked from the impact, which itself could be heard all throughout the plaza. Eleonora stood up and raised her right knee high, then stomped the sabaton-clad foot down on his head. A second slam echoed from the gallows, this one actually splitting and cracking the wood below. Where the rebel's head was supposed to be was now simply blood and chunks of brain matter and skull staining into the timber.

"You," the guardian pointed to the final prisoner, "Kneel." The rebel swiftly complied, possibly hoping to leave the stage alive. "You've shown more honor and bravery than these two rats ever could. For cooperating, instead you will be hung and drawn," she waved the executioners back onto the stage and handed the prisoner over to them.

"If anyone here wants to share the same fate as these three, and betray the people of Araucollem, here me now."

"Nobody will save you."

---

"Well."

Amidst the assembled nobility, a relatively small cluster stood separately from the bloodthirsty masses, Nero Arluanus's eyebrow had risen pointedly as Elonora made her display. "She certainly has a way with words," he remarked, to murmurs of uncertain agreement from his peers. "Words, and sharply bladed objects. I find that the latter often augments the former to no uncertain degree."

That brought a chorus of nervous laughter, enough to alleviate the tension that had fallen over the group following the somewhat audacious display. That Nero remained at ease, and jovial, informed the others gathered there that they too should be inclined towards forgiving the bodyguard for what some would perceive as overstepping her bounds, and upstaging the heir.

"I like the way she manages to frame being hung and quartered as a reward. That takes a clever tongue. Or, at least, the ability to inspire total confidence that any alternatives you might come up with would be infinitely worse."

He regarded the scene on stage for a moment.

"Of course, it helps if you've just squashed someone's skull beneath your foot like an overripe grapefruit."

As written by Jester, Glmstr and Script

A single clap from the head of house, both a sign of approval, and a signal to reign it in. Marcus did not so much mind her bravado, even if it was over the top. A show of extreme force and power was needed at times. All of the land's men were in good spirits. A successful military campaign did wonders for the common folk, especially those serving under the banners. Still, it was good to remind them who was in control. What hands fed them. What blades stood poised at their necks. This was the Captain of the Guard, and the head of the Dragoons of Falcataber. And this brutal display did just that. Showed the power of Marcus' sword arm. Boundaries be damned.

"That is enough, Captain. Return to your position in line and let my son finish his work."

A nod to Leo. A nod in return. The 'ceremony' resumed, as if nothing had happened. Everyone once again fell silent, if not on their own, then after a single, deadly glare from the man in charge. The bodies were removed from the stage, save the one remaining defunct leader, and the other two ropes as well. Within seconds, he was being lifted from the ground, the barbarian's face rapidly turning purple, gurgling blood and saliva in a desperate attempt to breath. Just as it seemed his death by strangulation was assured, Leo lifted his massive claymore and with a single horizontal swing, sliced the prisoner in half at the gut, nearly severing the spine as well.

A fresh spray of gore splattered across the wooden planks and the bough of the tree, a crimson crescent flashing through the air. Leontinus himself was practically dripping with blood, signalling wordlessly for a cloth to be brought to him, and then his horse.

A nod to his father.

Another nod from father to son. As if to say the heir had done well.

The absolutely smallest of proud smiles graced the face of Marcus. "Clean up here men, and then return to your drills. Inspections will begin again in two day's time. Tomorrow, the celebrations and feasts begin. Dismissed." A pause before addressing Eleonora this time, his voice impatient and hard. "Explain your decision to interrupt my son in his duties. Your zeal is appreciated, Captain, but I wish to know what made you think it was acceptable to express it in such a way."

---

"You look dour-faced, cousin." As Leo was mounting his horse in preparation to retire from the scene, a voice joined him, followed shortly by another rider. Nero walked his mount - a resplendent white stallion, adorned with the colours of their house - up alongside the Arluanus heir, having quickly moved to join him before he departed.

"Can you not find a smile to celebrate a final end to these troubles? We made a strong declaration here, today, the echoes of which will be rebounding through out the realm for many seasons to come." The older Arluanus's expression was thoughtfully neutral, his eyes upon the heir. "The people's eyes are on you," he added, more softly. His words were aimed to remind Leo not to allow his public to see him grim-faced in the wake of what was to be painted as a moment of national pride; a moment to inspire confidence in their house - and its future in Leo's hands.

---

Eleonora returned to Marcus' side, with a more than slightly smug expression painted across her face.

"Explain your decision to interrupt my son in his duties. Your zeal is appreciated, Captain, but I wish to know what made you think it was acceptable to express it in such a way."

Her face suddenly drained of color, and her eyes went as wide as saucers.

interrupt my son in his duties..

She completely forgot that Leonitus was supposed to be the star of the show at this event, and got carried away. She faced away from the audience so they couldn't see her look of sheer horror and embarrassment.

"M-my apologies sir, Ididn'tmeanto.. I..." She seemed to start tearing up, her hand quickly covering her face and wiping her eyes. When she took a deep breath lowered her hand again, her expression was stone-faced and serious once again.
"I was just going to say a few words, but then that first prisoner... I got carried away. I let my rage get the better of me, and only now was I level-headed enough to realize my mistake."

---

Leontinus gave a careful look at his cousin as he climbed atop his steed, a destrier like his father's only as black as night instead of white as wind driven snow. There didn't seem to be anything there, like the eyes looking back at Nero were long dead, or so disinterested in the world that they'd given up caring. Slowing, all the warmth was leaving the boy, much like it had his father. Still...this was Nero, a man he'd grown up besides, and something that someone might consider a grin made an appearance on the fair youth's lips.

"Oh. Cuz. I did not notice you approaching. Nor did I know you'd be here today." An uncomfortable look at his blade, now cleaned and sheathed by one of his squires and returned to his side without noticing. "I apologize if you got rained on." The slightest of nods towards Nero's shoulder, where his cloak met his shoulder. A few pitter-patters of blood dotted the cloth. As he spoke, the heir of Arluanus would look towards the west city's gates, towards the West Tower. Home. "How long til we can return...?"

- - - - - - - - - - -

"Do not dare let a single tear fall or I will strip you of your place at my side which you have struggled so hard to earn. To keep. Blades do not weep, and you are my sword. Do not act without my permission or consent again." The whole time his eyes did not leave her, or soften in the slightest. The other men snickered around him, the other soldiers of Marcus' guard that envied and wormed their way towards her position as Captain.

One such man began to open his mouth, in some sort of jape or joke at the expense of his superior.

Before the first would could finish on his lips, a brutal snap of the Head's knee would send a plated boot into the front teeth of the Knight. The man would fall, crumple, clutching his ruined mouth. "As for the rest of you lot, no mention of this...event will ever spread, on pain of demotion of rank and public lashing. Is that clear. Has your Lord stuttered or erred in his speech?"

---

"I never wear my best to an execution for that very reason," Nero remarked with a smirk. "A little blood-splatter is no trouble for my servants to clean. Aspects know, they must be used to it by now."

He ran his eyes up and down Leon's heavily crimson stained figure.

"However I fear that your attire may be something of a write-off, at this point. I can't blame you for being eager to retire to a hot bath. Your hair is almost as red as mine." He chuckled, nodding his head towards Marcus. "But we hang on your father's cue to depart."

He squinted in that direction, raising his eyebrow as he saw the ruler kick one of his guards in the face.

"And apparently there's been a hold-up."

---

"Yes sir," Eleonora's voice was much more meek than before.

She looked to the other Knights, hoping that her scowl will remind them that their lord's lashing and demotion will only be the beginning of their suffering.

She remained still and silent for the rest of the ceremony.

---

A frown. Those weren't his own men, the men Leo had fought and bled beside. Laughed with. Roared with. Killed with. These were his Lord Father's men, and the Lord could do as he wished, and yet, still...It seemed to be too far. The man might starve now, without a way to properly chew or swallow food. The heir had long understood that his sire was a man of short temper, impatience, one who always expected his will to be carried out regardless of feelings or the needs of those personally involved. Marcus did not take no as an answer, and absolutely hated insubordination and disrespect.

A deeper frown before turning back to Nero.

"Its nothing. I've ruined many clothes over past several months. One more outfit being sent to the fires is nothing, really." Besides, it would give the young lord a chance to go into the city itself instead of spend all day one of the family towers. Locked away, waiting to be sent out to kill again. Or at least that was his suspicion. Leo had no real clue what his dearest dad was planning to do with him next.

- - - - - - - - - -

Marcus would quirk a brow at his Captain and the rest of the men before deeming them of little import for the moment being, kicking the sides of his steed to turn it back around towards Arorakh's main gate. "Come. We return shortly. The rest of the soldiers can finish the cleaning." The Lord would explain, turning an almost disinterest eye towards Leo. "I have matters to attend to. Plans to oversee." Then, almost ripping his gaze away, his stallion would begin its slow trot towards the city proper, leaving his son and guard to follow at their own paces.

---

Eleonora turned back towards the city and started walking with the horse. Her long strides were quick enough that, as long as the horse didn't break into a canter, she would be able to keep pace.

---

"Tut tut," Nero chuckled once more. "You really ought to take better care of your garments. The women work so ever hard to make you look the part. Well, I suppose you keep them in work, so it's not all bad."

As Marcus looked over towards him and Leo, he met the Arluanus lord's eyes, raising a curious brow at the intensity of the man's gaze. Something was afoot. He'd have to be extra sure to have ears on Marcus and his son today. Not for nefarious purposes, of course. But there was nothing Nero hated more than being out of the loop.

Nero nodded his head towards Marcus after the man tore his gaze away and set off towards the city. "And so it seems we are on our way." He kicked his horse into motion alongside Leon's. "Do you have plans for the rest of the day? I had thought I might go hawking, weather permitting. You're welcome to join me, should you have the free time."

He paused, to smile conspiratorially. "Indeed, I'm sure that if you have no pre-existing plans you certainly could not be faulted for taking up the invitation on the assumption that it would remain so. Declining without cause could easily be interpreted as a slight, which we obviously would want to avoid."

As written by Jester, Glmstr, and Script

Leo would look at his cousin, with a hint of sadness in his grey eyes. "No. I have no plans. I was hoping for relaxation on the day I returned, but Father always has plans for all of us, doesn't he? Though...I'd honestly welcome your company if you'd have me. I find that after having no other reason to live other than to bleed for nearly six months...Well, lets just say I do not with to be exclusively alone with my thoughts. If that makes any sort of sense to you, cuz."

A kick, soft, to his horse's flanks as the heir to Arluanus did his best to ride and talk at the same time, making sure his horse kept pace with Nero until his blood reached a horse of his own, the barest semblance of something resembling a smile gracing his feminine lips. "To be honest, I have no clue what my Lord wishes to task me with next, but I pray to the Four it has nothing to do with blade or bone. I've tired of those for the time being..."

- - - - - - -

Once his own caravan of guards and retainers was well on its way, Marcus would turn his head back to his captain. "Have you given any more consideration to what we talked about, Eleonora? I remember distinctly it was what you and your Lord Father argued about years ago, but you are not getting any younger. Have you even considered looking at the suitors I have picked out for you?" His Captain would know Marcus well enough by this point that his sort of "picking" was not the same as her Father's. Her Liege looked for men of caliber equal to hers, those who were full of fair looks, glory, and strong hands, men he suspected would not only bring her happiness, but her father as well.

Unlike most nobles and royalty of the time, the Arluani did not view marriage exclusively as a tool, things to bind houses and oaths. There must be love in any union that hopes to bring worthy heirs, and Marcus had done his best to make a list of men that might ignite a romantic spark within the head of his Dragoons without changing her fundamental traits that had allowed her to rise to the station she now held. He knew well how hard she repressed her inner turmoils and desires in the name of service, and although he was always grateful for her role in his house and life, she had served him well so far, and deserved some other reward than what he had already given her.

---

"I'll have to take a look at them again, my lord. I trust your judgement more than his, and I doubt that there would be nobody that I liked,"

The Dragoon smiled at the thought, a suitor that was her type. She was a bit of a hopeless romantic at times, but she had far too much pride to lower her standards. She didn't necessarily want Mr Perfect, but she wanted someone that truly struck a chord, someone that she didn't feel the need to be tough around...

Eleonora caught herself starting to daydream again, but put her focus back onto what was actually going on around her.

---

"I can most certainly sympathize," Nero replied with a grimace. "A literal field full of swords and death is far from my preferred battlefield. It's so very unsophisticated. I'm of the view that the very act of having to take an army to the field is a symptom of failure." He smirked, making a show of glancing over his shoulder. "But you certainly didn't hear me say that. Wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers. At least, not inadvertently."

There were certainly times and places in which ruffling a few feathers was very advantageous. But they had to be the right feathers, and generally speaking, feathers belonging to Marcus wanted to remain thoroughly unruffled. "In any case, a little break from our fine Lord's extensive plans will do you some good, I feel. I'm sure they won't be set back by a single afternoon of recreation. For all we know, they might already have accounted for it. I wouldn't put it past him."

---

"Do not think I have put Leontinus on such a list. He is too much your junior and too far above your station." The thin smile, if it could be called one, that graced her Lord's lips was one of genuine mirth and gentle humor. Of course, he would not even dream of such a union, and he doubted either of the two would. In fact, sometimes he doubted if his son thought of bonding with the fairer sex at all. Almost to his twentieth winter and still not wed, or even betrothed. If that went on for too much longer, rumors would begin to spread that he was impotent or some kind of deviant, like the heir to the Clyaers' House, whatever that lad's name was.

"I intend to send him around the kingdom soon, my firstborn. Not to the noble families of the Arauc's of course, but far and wide to find a decent wife. I am not getting any younger, and neither is he. It is high time he began the quest of marriage. And, as stated before, you as well. You're nearly to your thirtieth year, if I am not mistaken."

- - - - - - - -

"I disagree, cousin. Sometimes, maybe not in this era, but sometimes war has been the only answer. Too massive a slight to honor, family, or prosperity is only answerable by the swing of an axe or mace. And that is not my father speaking through me, but my own words. However, I do not fault you for your words...We have grown up in an time of general peace, more or less, at least compared to the ages prior."

This time, a soft chuckle escape from Leo before he could catch it. "Indeed. Father tends to plan for any and all. If weather does permit," A quick pause to glance at the still rising sun, watching the heavenly body break through the overcast of clouds from the night before. "I believe I will join you. I have not hawked in ages, and, assuming Nimein is still in the aviary, I'm sure my bird would love a chance to properly hunt as well."

---

"Excellent," Nero remarked with a smile. "And for the record, I don't disagree with you regarding the occasional necessity of an axe or a mace swing - or something comparably direct. I just find it markedly more efficient to deal with the matter with a few well placed and somewhat personal swings, as opposed to a large field full of people largely unrelated to the matter doing all the swinging."

He chuckled. "But of course, there's no catch-all solution. Sometimes a war is, indeed, unavoidable. I feel that those occasions are merely far less frequent than many would presume. But I digress. I shall meet you at the aviary, say, an hour after our return? I expect you'll need a little time to remove the remnants of the rebellion from your hair."

---

"...That would be appreciated immensely, cuz. I also haven't seen my sister in many a moon, nor my mother. I fear their wrath more than Father's if I were to arrive home from battle and not even grace them with a visit before allowing myself to be abducted by another branch." This time there was no mistaking the smile that crept onto Leo's face for being just that, a genuine grin. "And the aviary it is then. I am afraid my skill may be covered in rust, given the fact that the only birds I've handled these past many moons were game for eating or messengers."

A hand through his mentioned hair, and sure enough, his hand came away more red than it had already been. Yes. A bath would be in order...

As written by Jester, Glmstr, and Script

"I've still five more, my lord," Eleonora gave a bit of a chuckle at the thought. Marcus had a point though, if she wanted to have children, she should try to have them within the next decade or so, while she still can.
"These suitors you've found, are they locals or are they from the North, East and South as well? I don't particularly care personally, but I'm curious."

She wasn't terribly keen on the idea of a marriage purely for politics, but that sentiment seemed to go out the window if a genuine romantic interest was involved. As much of a cold exterior she put on around others, she truly did want a romantic encounter with, well, anyone.

---

It wasn't long, perhaps an hour or two at the most, that a message arrived, carried by a rather proper looking servant, nose slightly upturned and pompous as anything could be, informing the young minor lord Nero that his cousin Leo had finished his reunion with his Mother and dear sister, and would be on his way presently once he'd had a bath.

Perhaps ten minutes later, another messenger appeared, looking very out of breath, stating that the bath had been finished and that Leontinus was presently on his way towards the aviary, and would hopefully meet his cuz and whatever band he'd thrown together, if any, outside the city, towards the royal hunting grounds.

In truth, Nero wouldn't lay eyes on the elusive kin until they were upon the fields to the north of the city, wide open plains cut in half by the mighty river flowing through its center. The air would be crisp, rich, almost heavy with various aromas. This time of year, the grass was almost hip high on Leo himself, and the noble heir was of the taller lot. And green. My was it green, like an emerald sea that swayed with waves at every gust or breeze. Sparse trees dotted the land around them, usually along the banks of the Magnus Serpens. Some bore fruit, other bore pungently spice-scented blooms, some bore nothing at all save their verdant leaves.

Leo stood there, smiling, taking in the scene like it was a long forgotten friend. A young lad was with him, presumably a squire or page of sorts, and both were dressed in stunning finery. Each bore an exception however, and they were clear to any eye. The noble born scion had his two handed blade strapped to his back, bringing along a weapon of war for some unknown reason, and the rather proud looking servant held a cage, which housed a majestic bird , which looked rather content in its gilded prison.

---

It was only a small collection of servants and guards that Nero brought with him as he rode out to meet Leo. Enough to satisfy any concerns for security, but not so many as to be excessive. Perhaps half a dozen armsmen, a messenger and an attendant. The latter was something of a curiosity. Though young, the blonde boy bore a jagged warrior's scar across his cheek and jaw. A perceptive eye would note that far from the pomposity or complacency of your average servant, he carried himself with a wary vigilance more common with bodyguards or soldiers, and his posture was slightly hunched. It was also relatively easy to note that he looked at least a little uncomfortable on his horse. It was he that carried Nero's bird - a proud white hawk - firmly at arm's length, as though expecting it to do something untoward at any given moment.

Like Leo, Nero had taken the opportunity to avail himself of some new attire devoid of blood-splatter. He was clad now in a bold outfit of indigo and crimson. The attire was not quite so resplendent as Leo's own, but its striking colours certainly served to draw the eye.

"Hail, cousin," Nero called as they came within easy earshot, smiling. "I feel it almost a shame to interrupt your reverie, so at peace you seemed with the quiet."

He dismounted, leaving one of the armsmen to deal with his horse and approached Leo, the unusual attendant following at a respectful distance. "I trust your reunion with the women was well received?"

---

"Indeed cuz, it was." Leo blinked in surprise at having his inner peace disturbed, before turning such a blink on his squire. An annoyed one. The lad hadn't even told him of the approaching crew, and the young lord had been caught very unawares. Apparently the look alone was enough, and the boy became abashed right away. "Mother was eager to see me, but wouldn't hug me til I had a wash. Now that I've taken my first bloods, she said she'll treat me like she does Father. Meaning, of course, no blood in the house. Sister was her usual self."

He'd take the cage then, and then request his hawking glove from the boy as well. "I've not flown with this bird before, but the bird master said he was well trained, so I'll trust his word." Then, once the glove was on, Leo would open the cage and whistle for the bird to perch on the offered limb. After a brief second and a turn of the head, it would hop on, digging its claws in deep. Then, another whistle before lifting his arm into the air as high as he could, the hawk taking flight with a flap of its impressive wings. He'd raise a hand to cover his eyes from the sun so he could properly watch the nameless bird's ascent.

Once it was circling the air and scouring the land for prey, it was only then that the noble heir would turn to his kin. "So...forgive me, Nero. Perhaps it is post war paranoia, for I've become very used to secret meetings during my campaign, but I must ask you something. Did you bring me out here for some purpose other than sport?"

---

"Leo, you wound me. Must everything I do have some ulterior motive?" Nero chuckled, his own bird joining Leo's in the air a few moments later. The two birds circled in tandem - white and black, equal yet opposite. There was probably some sort of deeper meaning that someone so inclined could have derived from the sight, Nero mused, but he put little stock in such things.

He waited a few moments before he continued with a sly smile. "You're not wrong, of course. But I do so miss the days when we could attend to such leisure without there being the presumption of some purpose beyond the pleasure of one another's company. Alas, I digress."

There was another long silence. Nero turned to make eye contact with his cousin, his smile quickly fading to a darker stare.

"Tell me, cuz. Take a look around. What do you see? What don't you?"

He gestured, not to the wider area of the field, but to their immediate vicinity. The retinue of guards and servants that had accompanied him, outnumbering Leo and his young squire four to one.

---

"I see a lot of things, Nero. I see you, my blood. I see a squire, the son of my father's Captain's brother. I see your men, and our horses. I don't recognize any of these men, so I'm going to assume I did not campaign with them." For once, a joking smile broke out across Leo's features. "I see a very good opportunity for you to take this burdensome inheritance off my shoulders, followed quickly I assume, my by head."

A laugh, something so rare for the downcast Arluanus heir. Rarer since his return from the northern expanses of their land, yes, but Leontinus had never been what one could consider an enthusiastic child, or even a cheerful one. The outings his cousin had mentioned missing had been sparse at best, at least once Leo had survived his tenth winter. That was when academia and arms training had consumed the boy's mind, so much so that it was whispered that the fair faced giant was socially inept in all matters outside the budding sciences, and warfare.

"If that is the case," A pause for another small chuckle. "I'm sure I could cleave through you and half your men and have as equal a chance to get to my horse and back to the gates as I do succumbing to such an ambush." While yes, he was joking with his cousin, the tone in which Leo spoke those words would come across as utter blunt and confident it could be considered serious, at least to those who hadn't grown up with the firstborn son of the House.

"But I'm almost certain that you brought me out here only because you missed my company, and our seldom but always enjoyable botherings."

---

Nero's smile returned when Leo laughed, for a moment far more genuine than the genial mask he always wore, whether making a joke or threatening someone's life. "I don't doubt it," he remarked with a chuckle. "Certainly, if I had any ill intent towards you, I'd be sure to put such intent into practice from a rather long way away."

He waved a hand dismissively. "I do not, of course, but I would dare say that the same could not be said of all those you might find yourself in a similar situation with. I find that hunting trips have a disproportionately high mortality rate during times of strife. My point, clumsily made as it was, is to ensure you do not let your guard down now you are returned from war."

Overhead, Nero's hawk swerved off course abruptly, and began to dive towards the earth like a bolt in pursuit of some poor critter.

"I'm certain you've heard such plenty enough from any number of others. But I do worry for you, cousin. You've not the heart for the cutthroat games the court plays. The mind and the talent, you have in abundance. But not the heart. Or perhaps, it would be more accurate to say you have too much of one."

Back