Neko, can I revitalize an old town (28 of the map)? It is an abandoned town call Tu Zin where Aang fought princess Azula. I vaguely remember seeing that episode (must have caught it while my siblings were watching it. We started the show together, but they just left me behind and binged everything). The idea is that the town was recreated by a crazy earthbender and their followers that believed there are still riches to be found in the area. They and their following generations never found anything, but the town was established and the tradition of searching for new mines continued. The town is poor and mainly survived on fishing, gathering (near 38), and trading with surrounding towns (many of which are located on the western islands. I would like New Tu Zin to be Shen's hometown. Maybe Shen and Mei can meet on Chameleon Bay (38). Also, I would like to set up a children's hideout in one of the peaks near Chameleon Bay. The hideout can be reached via many uncomfortable trails. The hideout is shared by Shen and his two best friends. Both of them know that he is an earthbender. The center of the hideout is exposed to the elements by a giant hole above; Shen and his friends have designed it to collect any water that comes through. The water will be filtered into a closed container. It will be cool and refreshing to drink. There are also many other parts of the hideout for resting, meditation, and fun as well. The hideout is mostly natural but has been crudely adjusted by the trio. Later on, Shen will make it better as he gets better at bending the earth.

View attachment 10037

@Rae

Hello, I have some ideas for the initial meeting and the first half of the trip.

I have placed Shen's poor hometown just a bit under 200 miles (straight line) away from the outer wall of Ba Sing Se. Don't laugh but I just used a measurement I found on Reddit.

From 32 to 34 will take about 21 hours (5 of these by ferry) and roughly 2 days in total.

From 28 to 32 will take over a week on foot (skirting the desert). That can be cut down drastically if we assume that there are available technologies for transportation like riding through the desert (4~5 days in that case).

32 is the Full Moon Bay with a ferry service (I've never seen that episode nor about 33, Serpent's Pass), but a passport is necessary to cross it.

What do you think about the locations above?

Where do you think Mei should meet Shen?

@KrultySenpai,

hola~
That’s actually really cool on how much depth you did on researching about the distance and that in my opinion, and it makes it easier to plan out their adventure.

As for their meeting I think I would be more interested in them meeting around 28 and doing the week trip, due to the fact she is from the southern water tribe and she had gotten lost on her way going north. I feel that the two day trip would be too short of a trip for true character development, as for the 28 to 32 trip would give them a little more time to explore and Mei could learn more about the area around her since she had never been outside of her village since living with her grandmother.

(even if it’s going through the desert, they could still find interesting company and items along the way)

As for 32 with the Full Moon Bay, I would have to rewatch the episode about it, for my memory is a blur, but I do remember having to have a passport for that area.

Thank you very much :)

Great!! I was hoping that one might appeal to you.

I am not sure about the details of the passport, but I think most of the citizens of the Kingdom have it if they go to Ba Sing Se. If Mei does not have one, then she could borrow it from one of Shen's best friends Zyn, and maybe bluff her way through. Another option is to go around the Serpent's Pass which was guarded by a monster 500 years ago (I don't know about now though).

Route One (rough plan):
Day 1:
Cut through the mountains north to Shen's hideout (one of three) between the southeastern edge of the desert and the mountains. There, three ugly bikes can be found in the hideout. It was put together by Shen's second friend (who is a genius self-taught mechanic). There are also rags to protect from the hot sun. Rest

Day 2: Ride parallel to the mountains where they can occasionally take shelter inside some caves. Reach the second hideout in the mountains just outside the northeastern part of the desert.

Day 3: Ride to 32, Full Moon Bay (sightseeing possible). Bury the bikes with a large size stone that Shen can find later. Take Ferry or the dangerous Serpent's Pass (33) which will add a day.

Day 3 ~ 4: 16 hours of walking to the outer wall of the Ba Sing Se. Early parting with a gift.

Day 5: City experience. Late parting with a gift.

Route Two (rough plan):

Night 1
28 (Shen's hometown): Where Mei could be invited to spend a comfortable night at Shen's family's home. Many of Ai's beautiful clay artwork will be displayed. Food and Chat.

Day 1 ~ 2
27 (Plain's Village): A chaotic town with little economical development.

24 (Foggy Swamp): Home to the swamp benders (is that what they are called?). I remember seeing that episode. Is Mei interested in learning a bit about that type of bending?

31 (Misty Palm Oasis): A beautiful city on the southern edge of the desert (more towards the west side). The natural wonder of the glacier at the center of the city has returned. It is a great resting spot filled with fun activities (details of which I have not decided), good food, and drinks. Shen might be able to tell a legend of Toph here.

Day 3 ~ 6
31 to 32 Skirting the edge of the desert. They can learn more about each other. It is during this time that Shen will make the pendant. The desert heat will harden the clay rather than using a kiln. There are a lot of distances to cover which many events can happen or some interesting locations can be added. Maybe Shen can build a small model of what he thinks the buried library of the desert looks like.

Day 7 ~ 8 Full Moon Bay or Serpent's Pass (extra day). Reach Ba Sing Se. Gift.

~~~~~~~~~~~

How is it?

Those are kind of rough ideas that I am listing out. There are a lot of unexplored potentials here, but I think I am ready to roleplay it out. Warning: I am a slow writer.

Mei can bring home a lot of stories for her grandmother.

Honestly I like the idea of Route two, because I remember you mentioned the idea of Shen breaking Mei’s pendant he eventually made her, and the fact they may bond over their family members and he knew the importance of that item to her back then, then I feel like that would create more of lasting effect of his choice later on in the roleplay! Adding some spice. (lol)
I believe Mei would be interested in learning a new water bending skill, due to the fact she is book worm and loved reading about the different waterbending styles that the world had, and swamp benders, is a style she didn’t know existed. I feel that would be a interesting development for her and Shen can get to see a more open and lively side of her instead of the distant and protective one he may see in the beginning

I’m willing to brainstorm more with you on what events that they can do for that 3~6 day period so I’m fine with that! I think it’s already interesting now how the ideas and research are coming together!
Thank you so much for all in-depth research! It’s very cool and shows a lot of how good of a writer you truly are!
As for the slowness, don’t worry at all, I’m actually rewatching ATLA right now to help and get some ideas for their trip. Plus that just shows how much detail you like to put into your responses! It also helps me research and match what I’m given as well!

I’m also in love with the idea of once the adventure is over, she can share some stories to her grandmother, asleast giving them a lasting memory before the inevitable.

Last edited:
Great choice! I love that Mei gets to learn a new style of waterbending prior to meeting up with Zolan. We also get to eliminate any possible future confusion from adding nonexistent elements to the world. I am especially looking forward to the future of the roleplay where Shen becomes antagonistic towards Mei (derived from his hatred for Zolan).

Your welcome, thank you very much as well.

When will you be available and interested to roleplay their meeting? I will be free tomorrow and through the next two weeks (unless something pops up). Do you have a specific schedule for roleplay?

Last thing, would you like to reach Ba Sing Se through Full Moon Bay or Serpent's Pass?

I’m available tonight and all day tomorrow and throughout the week. I also have really bad insomnia so I usually don’t sleep until later in the night, so if I have work and don’t get to a post during the early day, I’ll usually respond as soon as I get off in the early evening and/or in the night! So when ever you’re ready I’m available! I don’t have anything really going on in the summer but work, so my time is free!

As for reaching Ba Sing Se, I’m at a bit of a tossup..
I like the idea of Full Moon Bay, due to the opportunity to sight see, however I’m intrigued by the earlier idea of going through Serpent’s Pass because if we choose to have them face the serpent in some way, it could allow for their bending to be shown from their earlier ears, and Mei might even have the opportunity to use the bending she may learn from the swamp people.

(1) I’m available tonight and all day tomorrow and throughout the week. I also have really bad insomnia so I usually don’t sleep until later in the night, so if I have work and don’t get to a post during the early day, I’ll usually respond as soon as I get off in the early evening and/or in the night! So when ever you’re ready I’m available! I don’t have anything really going on in the summer but work, so my time is free!

(2) As for reaching Ba Sing Se, I’m at a bit of a tossup..
I like the idea of Full Moon Bay, due to the opportunity to sight see, however I’m intrigued by the earlier idea of going through Serpent’s Pass because if we choose to have them face the serpent in some way, it could allow for their bending to be shown from their earlier ears, and Mei might even have the opportunity to use the bending she may learn from the swamp people.

(1) Gotcha, take as long as you need when you roleplay because that is what I am going to do as well.

(2) Yes, Serpent's Pass links up with Mei's experience in the Foggy Swamp much better. Is it ok for Mei to have no passport and get denied from the service. As for the sightseeing, there are still opportunities for that. They might reach the Full Moon Bay on a Full Moon night before resting and challenging the Serpent's Pass.

When would be a good time and location for Mei and Shen to part ways?

How do you like to roleplay? Do you like to segment the time frame and roleplay the highlights with a summary in between or a continuous roleplay?

@Neko
@Rae
@Dodoco King
@Sanity43217

Hello all, during the roleplay. My character Shen will be a side character that is antagonistic towards your entire party. Can I ask you to not go easy on Shen throughout your characters' journey (let's make your battles epic)? I plan for him to die at some point in the roleplay, and would like him to accumulate many scars from Zolan, Mei, Wei, and Akune throughout. Please allow him an epic death by one of your hands. Shen will have the aid of his two best friends Lee and Yu as well. I would also like to give them an interesting death. If you have any ideas you would like to add to this, please reply.

Last edited:
(1) Gotcha, take as long as you need when you roleplay because that is what I am going to do as well.

(2) Yes, Serpent's Pass links up with Mei's experience in the Foggy Swamp much better. Is it ok for Mei to have no passport and get denied from the service. As for the sightseeing, there are still opportunities for that. They might reach the Full Moon Bay on a Full Moon night before resting and challenging the Serpent's Pass.

When would be a good time and location for Mei and Shen to part ways?

How do you like to roleplay? Do you like to segment the time frame and roleplay the highlights with a summary in between or a continuous roleplay?
1) Yes that is okay that she didn’t have a passport and got denied.

2) I feel like it would a good time a little after he gets her to the destination of the herbal merchant she was looking for in Ba Sing Se, since I believe that would help with your character Shen since he was planning on selling more of his mother’s clay works and his own work as well. He may have written a map or sort to make sure she didn’t get lost again on her way back to her village since he was a expert wayfinder.

3) As for my roleplaying style, I have only done it as a continuous story, but I’m open to trying new things if you think it would easier to do something you were more comfortable with. I’m pretty flexible and I can research and find ways to suit your style of writing! :3

1) Yes that is okay that she didn’t have a passport and got denied.

2) I feel like it would a good time a little after he gets her to the destination of the herbal merchant she was looking for in Ba Sing Se, since I believe that would help with your character Shen since he was planning on selling more of his mother’s clay works and his own work as well. He may have written a map or sort to make sure she didn’t get lost again on her way back to her village since he was a expert wayfinder.

3) As for my roleplaying style, I have only done it as a continuous story, but I’m open to trying new things if you think it would easier to do something you were more comfortable with. I’m pretty flexible and I can research and find ways to suit your style of writing! :3

2) Sounds good :).

3) In a continuous story, transitions are always fairly hard for me. When do I move on? How do I keep the roleplay alive? I always have questions like that in the back of my mind. Although with an OOC thread, I think it would make it easier to plan out the transitions in advance or even ask for help against writer's block.

@Neko
@Rae
@Dodoco King
@Sanity43217

Hello all, during the roleplay. My character Shen will be a side character that is antagonistic towards your entire party. Can I ask you to not go easy on Shen throughout your characters' journey (let's make your battles epic)? I plan for him to die at some point in the roleplay, and would like him to accumulate many scars from Zolan, Mei, Wei, and Akune throughout. Please allow him an epic death by one of your hands. Shen will have the aid of his two best friends Lee and Yu as well. I would also like to give them an interesting death. If you have any ideas you would like to add to this, please reply.

Yeah, that's fine with me on my end.

2) Sounds good :).

3) In a continuous story, transitions are always fairly hard for me. When do I move on? How do I keep the roleplay alive? I always have questions like that in the back of my mind. Although with an OOC thread, I think it would make it easier to plan out the transitions in advance or even ask for help against writer's block.

I understand that! I’m more than willing to help you with your writer’s block if it comes to that, I can come to face that as well, so you’re not alone on that!
As I mentioned, if you have a different preference, I’m more than happy to contribute and learn!

Back