Interest Check Battle Arena Tournament

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
So! In recent days, there's been some renewed interest in our battle arena forum again, so it was returned from the site archives. I wanted to post an interest check for a tournament roleplay to draw attention to the forum.

It would be open to people of all skill levels and utilize Storyteller's version of T1 text combat rules. Turn based combat that relies on a combination of attacking, prepping, and defending to try and out-smart, out-maneuver, and out-wit your opponent.

People unfamiliar with T1 would be welcome to participate as long as they are willing to take the time to learn the rule-set which is fairly straight-forward. Someone would be available to give one-on-one assistance with this.

Matches would be determined by KO. In the event neither combatant is KOed in the allotted time for the match then matches would be scored based on a combination of damage, tactics, and roleplay.

Yes, but I am concerned about power level. Will there be separate power level tournaments? What about powers designed to be trump cards, e.g., stealing another's power? It seems unfair to other people for people to be able to modify their characters to have the most optimized, sweaty abilities possible with no weak spots. That seems like it would ruin the fun.

Also, suggestion:

I think a winner's banquet/ball/something fancy would be fun. Some way for characters to hang out and celebrate the winners, after the tourney. The same thing could happen before the tournament, a place for the characters to form relationships and maybe add some drama to the tournament.

Last edited:
Power levels and limitations would be established prior to the start of the tournament. I didn't include them in the initial interest check post, because the exact level/limitation would largely be subject to what people are interested in. But a bar would be established that everyone has to meet. All characters would need to be approved by a judge prior to the start of the tournament, and anything clearly broken/unfair would need to be fixed prior to the character being accepted.

There would be time/opportunity for characters to openly mingle for roleplay flavor between matches as well, and something for the winners at the end would certainly be doable.

Power levels and limitations would be established prior to the start of the tournament. I didn't include them in the initial interest check post, because the exact level/limitation would largely be subject to what people are interested in. But a bar would be established that everyone has to meet. All characters would need to be approved by a judge prior to the start of the tournament, and anything clearly broken/unfair would need to be fixed prior to the character being accepted.

There would be time/opportunity for characters to openly mingle for roleplay flavor between matches as well, and something for the winners at the end would certainly be doable.

Okay. I was saying more orginization than limitation, but I get it.

This has obtained my interest. Been a long time since I've last had a character engage in actual combat, so I'll try and re-learn the T1 rules.

@TMITM Organization of different power levels would be awesome, but it's unlikely we would draw in enough contestants to support multiple tiers, so it's more likely that we would unfortunately have to settle on a single one for this tournament.

A call to battle is always an enthralling concept. I'll gladly oblige. My Tharraleos has a bunch of new toys I've been wanting to test out. Color me intrigued.

Back