Best Friends?

Nefelibata

The Cloud Walker
Queens College was considered a prestigious school, known for producing graduates who went on to be successful in not only the arts but engineering, computing, design, and more. It had a beautiful campus that was more than instagram worthy, and students love plastering all over their social media that they went there. It was also a school based heavily on sports teams, sororities, and frats. It was a party school at heart, or thats what the students seemed to think. It could be cliquey sometimes, appearances were a big deal to some people. In freshman year it was usually the good looking social people who got recruited into sororities and frats, the social ladder being made very clear from the get go. Alexandria was invited to join a sorority when she first started school and she joined, mostly because her housemates had done the same and it seemed like fun. She could be oblivious sometimes, to her it wasn't some exclusive club for popular people, it was a fun way to meet people. Her view was completely different from other girls in the sorority and she wasn't even aware of it. From a young age she was the type of person to reach out and grab someones hand without a second thought, without caring who they were or how 'different' they were. She never seemed to notice those things.

Alex stared down at her phone, typing a quick message as she leaned against the painted cement wall behind her. Her eyes glanced to the time before looking to the door across the hall from where she waited. She wore blue jean shorts that had been cut shorter, causing some threads to hand loose. Above that was a simple white t-shirt that she had tied at her waist, making it fit snuggly and show a sliver of mid drift. Around her neck were a couple dainty golden chains. Hanging from one was a rock that could almost be called a gem, but not quite. It had been shined and crudely wrapped in wire to make a small pendant. It was a gift she'd gotten as a child from Aaron that she'd kept for years and wore almost every day. It was just a rock he'd found that she insisted was treasure, so he made it into a pendant for her. Her hair hung free, pushed mostly to one side where she'd swept it with her hand. She was waiting for Aaron, his class should have been ending soon but she couldn't see him through the window on the closed door. She could only see the first couple rows... but he was probably there. She'd wait and see. Her eyes lowered back to her phone, people passing by as they walked through the hallway. In one of the rows closer to the front two guys were whispering obnoxiously loud "That hot chick is back again, should I ask her out today?" "Nah man, not unless you want to get beat up by smurf boy" The hushed laughs caused the professor to sigh and look at the clock. "I guess you guys have checked out for the day anyways. You're dismissed." People began to stand and pack their things to head out. Alex's eyes lifted as the first people began to leave, looking for the familiar blue hair of her friend.

Aaron has been sitting in class fiddling around with his pen not fully paying attention to anything the teacher had been saying. He was in a sort of day dream but his eyes darted up and he stopped playing with his pen clenching it in his fist as he heard what the people in front of him where saying. His face expression changed to an angry one but as he heard what the guy said about him, the anger had an opposite affect and made him laugh to himself a bit quietly and whispered to himself “smurf boy?!”. He couldn’t see Alex out the window of the classroom door, he was too far from it due to his ideas of which is the perfect seat in a classroom, but obviously knew she was there now. He was going to do something about the guys but as soon as the teacher said they could leave he decided to pick up his stuff as quick as possible, getting past the guys, not because he was upset or embarrassed but because he was really angry and neither wanted to cause a scene or let the others get to Alex first. As soon as he saw Alex he smiles at her for a second but keep walking and goes the opposite way to everyone else and talks quickly without putting breaks between the things he should “hi Alex what where you just up to wanna go for a walk? Me too”

People began to pour out of the classroom as Alex slipped her phone into the back pocket of her shorts. She had her backpack hanging on her back, mostly empty other than her laptop. She didn't have any classes that required her to pain today, just lectures, but once she got home she'd probably end up painting anyways. When Aaron appeared out of the door her face lit up, a smile easily pulling across her lips to mirror his. Despite him smiling though he looked a bit agitated, she could tell. They'd known each other long enough for her to be able to read him in situations like this. Her lips parted to say hi but he was already passing her, walking down the hallways the opposite way of everyone else. "Huh? Y-Yeah, sure" She stumbled to words out as she pushed off the wall, quickly moving to fallow him. "Whats the rush?" She asked as she got to his side, looking at up him as they walked. Her bright eyes stay on him, glancing to his hair before lifting a hand. She flicked some strands of blue hair before speaking. "Hey, your roots are starting to show, did you want me to come over and colour your hair tonight? I left some stuff there last time that I need to pick up anyways" She offered as they made their way down the hall, not noticing as people gave them second looks.

Aaron turned his face towards her as he kept walking “Can’t you see my smile?! I’m so fricken happy right now!” He leaned down slightly to whisper in her ear as they walked “you got me”. He continues walking looking forward, his facial features changed every could of words as he tried to describe what was going on, clearly sounding annoyed “This guy was thinking of asking you out, clearly making it so that I could hear even though they where trying, oh so hard, to whisper. And like, he was definitely drooling over the fact that you could say yes. Like this” He turned his face face to her so she could see his impression of the guy drooling which he had definitely just made up in an attempt to make Alex laugh. He then started using his hands to express himself more as he continued to talk anger still in his voice even if he was trying to make it sound like he was seeing the best in the situation “And apparently, I’m a smurf, but you know what?! People think smurfs are cute! My theory, they are secretly attracted to m-“. His voice stopped completely as he felt her hand touch his hair and listened to her talk, slowing his walk down. When she finished talking though he jumped right back into talking “Wait really?!” He slipped his hand behind her and took the phone out of her back pocket putting the camera on to look at his own hair “oh yeah! Well done, though..” he smirked at her as he tapped her head with her phone gently “It’s easy to steal your phone from that pocket” he handed it back to her, not caring about the second looks as in a way it made people less likely to ask her out, at least he liked to think so. “And yeah, I would love for you to come over, you clearly like touching my hair” he laughed gently as he looked back at her “Soooo... where we going now?..”

Alex stared up at Aaron, brows drawn together as he insisted he was happy. Yeah, sure. She rolled her eyes, a faint smile pulling at her lips. Aaron leaned down towards her, hearing his whispered words. "Obviously" She almost rolled her eyes again. Of course she knew he was annoyed, she could practically feel it in the air around him. She continued to walk, watching her friend as he began to explain what had pissed him off. This wasn't something new, Aaron got annoyed by any guy that even thought about making a move on her. She figured it was just because they were so close, Aaron had always been protective... well ever since high school. His dramatic reenactment made her smile widen, a laugh slipping free from her lips. The story went on, hearing what they'd called Aaron, but it only made her feel more amused. His rambling stopped when she touched his hair and commented on it. She felt as the phone was pulled from her pocket and watched him check. He spoke again, tapping the phone against her head "I would feel it if they did" She argued with a smile, snatching the phone back from him. "And I don't 'like touching your hair', I just hate when it grows out too much. You're just lucky you have an artist willing to paint your hair" She joked. "Lets grab some food and head over to your place, I need to get back home earlier tonight. Apparently the girls are throwing a party at the house tonight so I want to have time to get changed." When she said 'the girls' she always meant the sorority. The party was at their house tonight and she needed to not only change but hide anything valuable that could get stolen. "Oh, also, theres a get together tomorrow. They said it's something like a 'mixer' and a group of people are going. Did you want to come?" She always invited Aaron to everything, despite how much he didn't seem to want to go. The mixer was more like a group date where a bunch of people went with the intention of finding someone to hookup with or date.

As Aaron heard her come back about the phone he chuckled to himself a bit “Ah yes, sorry I forgot about your oh mighty power of incredible senses, forgive me” he continued to listen to her talking trying to keep in laughter “oh really? Quit looking at it then if it bothers you that much, or can you not help it?” He laughs a bit as he nudged her with his elbow slightly “Good thing she’s such a great one” Aaron thought to himself as he looked up while listening to Alex speaking, excited about the thought of hanging out but his excitement dropped slightly as he heard her say she would need to leave early “Hmmmmmmm.. I’m thinking... pizza.. Im feeling unhealthy food. Plus if you eat enough you won’t feel tempted to eat any of the possible brownies at the party.” He looked back to her “you want that or something else?” He went with her conversation and continued to listen and once she finished her sentence he groaned “Awh! Come on. Another party type thing? I swear they are all just there to have sex and it’s pathetic. What’s wrong with normal bonding and a romantic date before all that” He started to mimic a different guys voice “let me just shove m-“ he stoped himself and looked at her for a moment “Ugh... just because you got me when I’m thinking about food! And cause I wanna make sure no ones tries anything...I’ll go”

"Pizza sounds amazing" Alex agreed, already looking forward to some greasy food. The girls that lived in her house were overly health conscious and concerned about their weight. She never paid much attention to her own weight but she was one of the lucky ones born with a high metabolism. The girls in her house insisted they don't keep any junk food and to be polite she didn't... well at least not where it'd be found. She kept snacks hidden in her room but didn't let any of them know about it. Alex just listened to Aaron complaining, he always complained but she knew he'd say yes. She rolled her eyes as he mimicked a different voice but stopped his sentence short before finally just agreeing. She scoffed but it turned into a laugh at his final words. "And so what if someone does try something? You know I'm going to date someone eventually, you need to get over it" She laughed, again assuming his overprotectiveness was coming from a close friend's standpoint. "Anyways-" She grabbed his hand "-we're going the wrong way if we're getting pizza. Come on" She smiled as she pulled him down a different hallway, headed towards the cafeteria.

"I guess" he turned his head to look to the opposite direction, those words kind of upset him but he knew she didn't know that his behaviour was mostly because he has a huge crush on her. His eyes widen slightly as she grabbed his hand and he turned back to her. He tried to remain cool, and followed behind her as she pulled him along "U-uh.. yeah! That's true"

Aaron carried the food for both of them, on the way to his house they had talked about many things such as movies they had watched, talking about Alex's art, and about how Aaron has not been paying too much attention in class. Once they got to his door he in tried to unlock the door though he still had his hands full. Yet he insisted he didn't need any help. After an awkward couple of seconds, he got the door open. "Ah ha! There we go" he pushed the door wide open with his shoulder and let Alex walk in front of him "Welcome back to my humble... um... oasis I guess? He laughed a bit to himself realising he had messed up the phrase

Alex had no idea Aaron liked her as more than a friend. They'd been together so long as friends that she just assumed the way he treated her was because of how close they were. He liked like family, and she did love him but her love wasn't romantic type of love, it was hard to explain but she care about him deeply. Alex just stood back and watched Aaron struggle with the door, rolling her eyes when he finally got it. "Good job" She laughed as she stepped past him, moving into the house. She slid her bag off her back, hearing Aaron's failed welcome. She laughed as she set the bag on the floor, turning around to snatch one of the pizzas from him. "You're oasis is a mess" She complained with a smile, clearly just teasing him. She didn't care if the house was messy, a guy living alone? It was a miracle she could still see the floor. She moved into the living room, setting the box down on the coffee table before sitting on the couch. She lifted her feet onto it, folding her legs under her as she opened the box. She was starving, she hadn't eaten much all day and the smell of pizza had been tormenting her since they picked them up. She pulled a slice from the box and took a bite, glancing down to her perfectly clean white shirt. "I chose a bad shirt to wear with pizza" She leaned forward, trying not to hold the pizza over the white fabric. "Have you tried calling your mom recently? She text me asking how you were doing" She asked, knowing Aaron's mom was a touchy subject... but... despite all the bad blood she would still try to check in on Aaron, even if it was through a text to his best friend.

Aaron made a gasp pretending to be offended "I can not believe you, first you steal the pizza from me, and then you insult my home" he smiled slightly and laughed quietly to himself when he saw her making herself comfortable in. He turned and closed the door before he put his stuff down and walked over to lean on the arm of the couch. "You're hungry aren't y-" Aaron started to laugh at her as she tried to eat the pizza in a way that was less likely to get her shirt dirty and covered his mouth with one of his hands, though it stopped as he heard Alex mention his mum. His hand feel and so did the tone of his voice "No... and I don't really plan to" but then he seemed to perk up again "And before you try to convince me" He leaned over, balanced on one of his hands and used the other to push Alex's hand which made the pizza slice go into her mouth "I'm gonna go get you something to put over your shirt"

Aaron's flat tone was expected, she already knew his mom was a touchy subject and also knew that he hated her bringing it up, but it wasn't her place to not tell him when she contacted her. It would feel weirder to talk about Aaron with her and not tell him. The moment passed, and Aaron seemed to brighten up again. Alex watched as he leaned towards her, balancing on one hand as he leaned on the couch. Her hand was pushed and she gladly opened her lips, taking another bite of pizza. She almost laughed at his words but didn't speak with the pizza in her mouth. She smiled with closed lips though and in a quick movement tossed the pizza back to the box, turned, and lifted her leg, kicking Aaron's arm out form under him. She knew he'd fall practically on top of her but it was worth the laugh. As he fell forward she almost choked before swallowing back the food, breaking out into a laugh shortly after. "Thats what you get for trying to act cool" She laughed, laying back on the small couch.

Alex looked so cute when she smiled with the pizza in her mouth like that, but he had to keep control of himself and not let her know he thought that. He was worried it might weird her out or... give away how he felt. Not only was he caught off guard by how cute she was he was also about to move so he could get something for Alex to wear. He made a small scream as he feel from the shock. Quickly moving his arms to try catch himself so when he would fall on Alex the impact would not be too hard. His head did land on Alex’s stomach but thanks to his quick movement it didn’t hurt her that much. He lay there for a second with no reaction but then started to talk “fu...” he started to laugh and it cut off what he was trying to say, he still pay where he was for a second “Alex!” he then lifted himself onto his arms but was still over her as he looked down at her “What the hell?!” He still laughed as he listened to what she was telling him. He replied but was joking with what he said “Acting cool you say? I just am cool, but it’s clear now that you can no handle my coolness factor” He started to laugh uncontrollably again and hung his head for a second before looking back at her “Well, do you want me to get something for you to cover your shirt with or not? Because it seems you would rather me on top of you” he smirked for a second but then it broke as he tried to keep in the last of this laughter

Last edited:
Back