Superman? He'd been called many things most of them not flattering in any way, but that he had to admit was a new one on him. He studied Oriana for a moment, trying to get a feel of how to answer. He didn't realize his nobility way of speech was awkward, but the rapid fire questioning was interesting, was she nervous? Guess his attempt to make things easier didn't work.

"Sorry but I can't do things like be faster than a locomotive, leap buildings in a single bound, and I really don't look good in blue spandex, oh and that cape is a bit much. You have to understand there are things that one cannot prevent from happening...in my case I have duty to perform. It is of no concern to me that you don't know who I am, actually it's refreshing to meet someone who doesn't. I don't want anything from you, merely in that case I wanted to make sure you got paid for the work you performed. Aside from that, it's not escaped my notice that you have certain talents but a lack of control...maybe I was too forward with the business card last night, you seem to have a gift, but lack the control...I was once like you not understanding the gift...until my uncle showed me how to use it, I merely wanted to ask you if you'd like help."

He wasn't good about asking these things, that incident with Tinkerbell left him wary of certain women, but Oriana wasn't like the others, something was troubling her, he'd not pry...it was not his place. But at least he finally had a name...well first name.

"Sorry no I cannot read minds like uncle Merlin, but it's fun to have people think you can. It's even more fun to make someone defile themselves...let's just say the last time I did that to Ping, he didn't wet himself...it was much worse as was the smell."

He pressed the ice bag closer to his cracked rib and winced a bit.

"Understood Oriana. You can relax I am not interested in causing you harm, that in there was a display to get them to fly right. I think they were just fortunate I didn't say their food was a dog's dinner, or crap, or the fact I didn't call Ping a donkey."

No need to reveal further information, she clearly knew who his uncle was...but that wasn't what he was there to talk about, maybe she knew who his father was, maybe not. Either way, he didn't have the Dunbroch name, sure he wore the pendant around his neck, but after all the rumors he wasn't too keen on much anymore, especially the one that said he was a MacGuffan.

"It looks like it's going to rain, would you prefer to start walking? We can talk on the way...oh before you think it, no I don't want to walk you home, that's too forward, and I don't wish to be lit on fire tonight, a cracked rib is enough."

Oriana albeit a little dubiously nodded her head. "Alright Ramsey. We can walk and talk I guess...although you look like you could use a rest or a nurse. I can walk you to the nearest medical practice if they do out of hours?" She took a step off the entry way and onto the pavement, "So, you have guessed I have control issues. I just need some advice on how to control...this. I can't turn it off and on. Or if there is no possible way to control it then how do I get rid of it?"

She noticed he had this habit, he liked to talk and twist and turn a conversation. Was it in the hopes she would be unable to follow through? She wasn't that thick despite her strange schooling. "But I also know nothing comes for free...so tell me what the real cost is. I don't want your help if you're going to hold it over my head afterwards." Her voice was slightly bitter but that couldn't be helped.

She had automatically stood to his right side, blocking the view of the ice pack as they walked up the street in the hopes no one would notice that he was injured and also he was clearly hiding something. She wasn't about to pry, "Seriously, what is that ring...what is it trying to do suck me into some kind of time vortex?" Every time it glinted she found her head turning to look and that wasn't normal. Mostly because she wasn't one for jewelry and the other was that she was usually able to naturally avoid being enchanted. One of the many gifts off her Mother but she wouldn't discuss them with Declan. He may refuse to help the daughter of a child kidnapper. What is he related to the Strange family too?

Cute, well at least she seemed to have a sense of humor. That's good thing in many ways. He wasn't taken aback by her line of questioning, in fact he'd expect it this was clearly something new with her in regards to her powers. He was no place to judge after all, he had a father that though he was a curse on the clan for being born with magic. He did laugh at her "Ramsey" comment.

"Funny, actually they think I am worse than Gordon Ramsey when I go in there. "

Yes he could twist the conversation and manipulate it, this was a skill learned over years of training, though he never did it to be malicious, merely to get the information out there or even better to answer the questions or whatever as quickly as he could as to not draw suspicion. Now the price question...oh dear hopefully she wasn't thinking he was one of those people like the famed Rumpelstiltskin who did everything for a price...no he wasn't that sort.

"To answer your questions, control is something that requires training of sorts, it can be mastered and even to a degree hidden, but getting rid of it? Well that would mean death...and I am not sure you're keen on that. As for a price, well I don't do things for payment...unless it's killing vampires, but that's another matter, I don't want to hold it over your head, nor do I wish anything in return."

He winced again, good thing it was only cracked, had he broken it, he'd need hospital. He shifted again with the ice bag. Before catching a glimpse on the one of the TV's they past on the street in a shop, it was covering the latest murder. Declan shook his head.

"Thank you, but if I go to the hospital, that damned Pinocchio will be all over me and the last thing my father would want is me 'embarrassing' him further. I'll sleep it off and wrap it up when I get home."

He'd noticed Oriana was blocking on looker's views of his ribs and the book, this was good, he wouldn't have to play with illusions tonight. Though that damn ring of his was going to be a bother...whoops too late, it was again being a bother as Oriana had noted.

"I think it senses your gifts, to be honest I am not entirely sure what this ring does, my uncle gave it to me when I became the sorcerer and shed the apprentice side. Personally I think it likes to torment me, but it's harmless in that regard. Despite the stories, the ring isn't the source of the sorcerer's powers...you're either born with them or not. It's hard to explain it in certain terms, but that's the best I can. I don't know that the ring is cabpable of vortex...though I do know it can open certain tomes..."

If she wanted to see vortex, well he did have a rod given to him by Odin that caused the winds to howl badly and then sucked the target into a vortex of infinite space...dangerous rod a that thing was, he had to keep that well behind glass in a stone box.

"I feel it's doing more than just sensing my gifts..." Oriana forced herself to look away, his words troubled her. Training? Well how long would that take, days? Weeks? Months? "So, how much training do you think I need?" She still didn't believe he wouldn't ask something of her eventually so the wiser thing to do would be to tell him she owed him, with boundaries in place of course. "If you...you could teach me? And then I'll owe you one favor. No sexual or illegal activity involved type of favor. I don't want trouble. Then we will be even...whether you don't usually take payment or not. I don't want to owe. Anybody. Anything." Who knew when someone decided to change their mind and come after her demanding she cough up.

Whilst he had been speaking she had been going over mentally repeatedly what he'd told her so far, he'd been open. Too open. Too honest. Would she have disclosed that she was related to Merlin? Unlikely. She was a complete stranger, he'd only seen her yesterday as far she was aware and spoken to her properly today. Not only that he was saying he was the son of King Fergus too. The only thing she had been aware of from her Mother was that Merlin had an apprentice, and he was a nuisance for anyone trying to practice their powers to their full extent. At the time Oriana had secretly been pleased since no one wanted Dame Gothel to completely let loose. It was bad enough what had been done to Rapunzel. Her Mother was a menace enough with that damn garden of hers without gaining other hobbies.

"So what do you say, deal?" There was a glimmer in her eyes, not completely natural. She was born from two personalities after all. Both of which who had a history of dealing out favors like it was their trade. It wasn't something she was aware that she even did and had never really pushed on that ability of what she could do if she really put her mind to it, the power of persuasion and influence wasn't exactly all about psychology and especially not for someone with her DNA. In that sense, Oriana truly was rather naive.

Oriana tried not to breathe in too deeply, they were passing a 'nice' restaurant. The Huntsman. Since she mostly lived on rice and vegetables at home it was always torture walking past this place and smelling the amazing food, Mushu's didn't really have anything on it. Steak. God when did she have steak last? She also didn't believe she could get a job here, she simply didn't have the looks or personality. Nope, it would be the silly Spa for her and bending down day in day out to give the Shrek family their pedicures. She tried not to shudder. There was also large posters up for the Halloween Ball, seemed like a big event and Red Riding Hood had managed to secure the catering for it not that Oriana was interested. She would be at home, with a nice pizza takeaway and the latest documentary on serial killers playing on the TV. Complete bliss really.

"It might just be doing that Oriana, I really don't know what this ring is capable of, aside from causing me trouble at times."

He really didn't know, he was sure his uncle knew more than he was telling, but that would be a conversation for another time, though Oriana's next comment about training and payments, struck a chord, that did sound the like the stories he'd heard of Rumpelstiltskin...was it a coincidence? Forget that and answer the questions.

"To be honest with you, training took me years, I was six when my uncle took me for training, at twenty one I became the sorcerer of the 777th circle, equal to my uncle. But I am not answering your question properly, the only answer I can give you is training takes time, but all depends on what you put into it."

Sexual favors? Illegal behavior? What did she think he was Hercules? Perseus? Or gods forbid, Lancelot? Well something must have happened to evoke that response, but he'd counter it with some well placed humor, or so he thought.

"Let's be specific, I don't do anything involving children, animals, illegal stuff, or sexual stuff...that sexual stuff needs to be consent."

Ugh the memories of Tinkerbell hit him, that was something he'd like to forget...it wasn't so much as young and dumb, but more like someone using leverage and taking advantage. Not something he liked to talk about, not even with Merida, that was just one of those things that he wouldn't be sure what he'd do if he saw Tinkerbell or Peter Pan again.

"We have an accord. Though you're going to need a place to train. Have you seen this murderer running about? This has been the second victim in as many nights. I might have to make an inquiry with an acquaintance of mine, but not tonight. I certainly won't go to the Addams mansion alone, they're very nice people but a little cooky."

He'd also noticed the Halloween Ball posters, though he had to admit, the last time he went a room full of vampires quickly checked out...that sun spell he'd been given made headlines and of course pissed Fergus off. Though Merlin laughed for days on that one.

"You going to that thing, the ball?"

Nice district of town, they were clear of possible issues, save for the reporters all about the latest murder at the docks, Declan could over hear the same thing as the previous night, throat cut, disembowelment, though this time the womanhood had been removed. I was so hoping I wouldn't have to encounter the Ripper again...this getting out of hand.

"Oriana, to the left, we want to avoid the media circus, they'll start asking ridiculous questions."

"The ball? Gods no." Oriana had to laugh, "That's for your type of people isn't it-" She looked about noticing the cameras and hurried so called journalists. Vultures really. "Questions?" She looked confused, but then shrugged. He did say that he struggled with that Pinocchio fella, "Ah, okay sure." She followed him down the street to the left, and waited until they were to the halfway point before she started talking again.

"I heard last year there was a load of trouble with the Vampires being offended and lots of the upper class folk had many things to say." Oriana rolled her eyes, "I'm not into that drama. Not to mention having the likes of Jasmine and Snow looking down on you." She shuddered, "It's not exactly fun is it. All you do is eat food with kale and salmon on, try to talk as if you are world wise and make some snooty remarks. Judge each other. I'd much prefer to stay at home and catch up on the programs I don't get to watch when I'm at work all the time."

His words about training taking so long further depressed her, "I don't need to reach the seven-whatsit circle. No one needs another Evanora. I just want to know how to stop this-" She waved her hand about, "Thing that causes things to go up into flames or turn into ash. So, can you just train me on how to do that? Contrary to how I might appear I don't actually want to hurt people and it's a rather annoying thing where you can't even make a living because of these issues. I just want a decent paying job where we aren't expected to wear see through clothes and pay my bills."

The situation with the Ripper was getting ugly, she wondered if the Sheriff would actually do something about it and for all she knew the girls she worked with back at the Tea Party could be targeted soon.

"Where should I meet you for the training? I should give you my number since I have a strange work schedule." She sighed, until she got into another job she'd have to go grovel at the Mad Hatter again. She pulled out her phone and looked at him expectantly.

"Well you know my father is embarrassed by my mere presence at these things, but it's expected of me for some reason. Probably has something to do with my stepmother. But yes, Jasmine and Snow are quite judgmental, I won't even begin to tell you the things they say, and some of it is about me. Which of course sent my sister in a rage, she always said those two were stuck up. But it's that Ariel person you need to keep an eye on, she's vicious."

He had to laugh about the vampires, he had a hand in that mess, but would not say outright exactly what he'd done, but he'd at least try and get Oriana's attention on that, call it fishing for a laugh or smile or something to make her at ease.

"Oh well those vampires got burned pretty good, I think they were well done instead of rare. They did piss off the wrong people...and I got called in to deal with it. You should have seen dad's face, he darn near lost it. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have seen some throats get ripped out, would have stopped all the gossip."

How to break it to her if she started training, Merlin was much harsher a task master than Declan was, but Merlin was also the master manipulator, he could get best out of someone by using their strengths, in his nephew's case it was the anger at Fergus (and rightfully so) and the boys. Oh right the boys...I need to be clear about them especially if she's training.

"Just keep in mind when you start training there's no going back, things are going to change for you, we'll get this worked out, I know it's a lot but you're going to have to trust me. I don't know what has happened to you to make you wary, and it's not my place to pry. But know once this starts we may get into some tough spots, which may include going places neither of us like."

He indicated the book of shadows around his waist, linking the Ripper to the book and implying to Oriana this was one of those things that he ended up somewhere he didn't want to be. He remembered that incident with the mops and brooms for example, boy was his uncle pissed.

"The Arcana Cabana, I have place there for training, call this number here. Oh and bring some workout clothes and a change of clothes, when it happens you'll be happy you did."

Oriana looked at the book he was holding and then up at him with a total look of perplexity. What was he going to make her do? Squats? Push ups? "D..Declan. I'm asking you to train me into controlling these bursts of flames before I get done in for arson one day." She took the card from him, feeling like she was either being taken for a ride or he was completely barmy. Like the sensei from Karate Kid. "I don't want to be painting fences." She put up her hand, "Wax on, wax off, wax on...w-oh shi-" She shook her hand out when a lick of flame covered them and gave a sheepish look. "I-er, never mind." She sighed.

If he was the only one around these parts who was able to teach her she'd have to go through the loops even if it meant work out clothes. Like she didn't work out enough at work cleaning table tops and serving all the sleazes of the town their damned beer.

She didn't understand why they'd be visiting places, she had imagined training with him to be a classroom experience. She gave him a once over, well. He was hardly the teacher type although she had figured he tried to play in to that with talks of books and tomes. On the other hand he was making people like Ping urinate on the spot. Even if he asked her not to, she would still be wary of him more than the annoying socialites around this place and perhaps more than she'd be of the idea of someone like Ripper meeting her in the streets. She wondered what she'd do in that situation? It's not like the Ripper would be wearing a skirt like the waitress at Mushu's.

As for tough spots, she'd been in her fair share of those in her life already not that she'd go into detail with him about those. Even down to leaving the clutches of her Mother, staying under the radar of her father and moving to this town.

Strangely she'd walked past the Arcana Cabana a few times and it had just seemed like an expensive book shop to her. Her brows furrowed as she thought about actually having to purchase work out clothes now. She'd never exercised a day in her life. "What is my life?" She grumbled to herself.

He laughed at her Mr. Migyagi impression, the fire was nice touch too. But he'd been through that himself, he wasn't sure what he would need till he got a feel for what her abilities were, to this end he'd only seen little, though he figured Uncle Fester would get a kick out of this, though he'd want to make sure before he paid that visit he had Oriana in a little more control.

"No, nothing like wax on wax off or painting fences, I would think you'd burn them down and maybe cause some fires on cars. It's training after all you don't want to wear something nice do you?"

He thought about it first the realized what he was wearing.

"Okay, I am not the best example, but I've been trained fully so there's that. But one more word of caution, I have triplet brothers, they are a bit of a nuisance, if we cross paths with them, you're to leave them to me okay? I don't want you getting hurt due to one of their pranks."

Declan's own tough spots were well known to some, others talked about them like they were merely gossip. The gauntlet Merlin had put him through was something immortalized in the stained glass at St. Paul's. Still Declan offered some of his doggie bag to Oriana.

"You might want to eat something, never good to start training on an empty stomach, here why don't you take half of this?"

One of the TV's at the corner of where he would break off and head back to the Arcana Cabana was showing an ad for Willy Wonka's chocolates and the new factory that would be opening just in time for Halloween.

Just what I need, that strange bastard running amok.

Oriana blinked at the doggy bag he held out to her. How could she take half of it? There was no way to split it. "I will try and come around in the morning then...And it's okay, thank you for offering but I will fill up on a decent breakfast." She would have to walk straight ahead and down an alleyway to get back to her home. "Bye then..." She couldn't help but glance back at him as she walked away. Odd fellow, he found her amusing even when she was being completely serious. If he even suggested one push up Arcana Cabana might go up in flames tomorrow. Just in case, maybe she could borrow some clothes from Natalya.

She heard the advertisment for the new factory and made a mental note to apply there, she had heard that Mr Wonka was an odd ball but so was the guy who she had just left behind. Either way it was rather amusing the way he had dealt with Ping.

As she walked she considered the information he had given within snippets of conversation. She had heard of the Addams Family, in particular that their daughter Wednesday had been released on bail rather recently. Well it was more suspected that she'd terrified the Sheriff enough that they'd begged her to go.

Once she got home, safe and secure behind closed doors she boiled the kettle for her insant pot noodles and picked up the newspaper that had been left this morning. Well. There he was. Declan. Front page and all. She wondered how she had been completely oblivious to his identity all this time. "The last thing I need is to be photographed with him. She swallowed, Mother would be keeping an eye out for her whereabouts. This could prove rather difficult.

Oriana settled into her bed with her meal, slurping at the noodles. Rapunzel was still a great concern but the last she attempted to have a face to face meeting with her she'd nearly burned her precious locks. Still, a random drawing of her at Mushu's was not something to ignore. Maybe she should have asked Declan about it. Maybe tomorrow...

Declan himself wasn't interested in eating too much, he'd leave the rest in the fridge, Merida would finish it...or Winston would. Oh joy Winston was there...that just made things more complicated. Winston was not a problem per say, but he was a form a familiar, the form he currently held was that of an English Bulldog. Uncle Merlin wanted to keep an eye on him, still trying to protect Declan in some small way. To the average idiot on the street he'd be nothing more than a bulldog, but those who knew familiars is they often shared traits with their masters or mistresses. Winston was no different, he was more like a butler in a way, though he looked like your average bulldog, save the bowler hat. As Declan had walked in the dog gave him the look as if to say Move it along time for you to clean up and get some rest.

That bulldog had look on him that got Declan to move pretty quickly, that glare was one that said I'll bark, but if I have to move your ass is grass. Declan fed Winston like he was a human, and the dog appreciated it, but still gave him the look to move it along...Winston was waiting on Merida, she was late form her date this evening and Winston was hoping she was not in the newspapers.

Declan drew himself a hot bath, his side aching from the adventure with the window, he was full of bruises that he'd taken from the last three nights. Oh well...soaking would be good for him as long as he didn't turn into a prune. He turned the TV on in the room and was listening to the news and sports scores. Looks like Blackhaven lost again at football, typical, this city's sports teams left something to be desired.

It was funny, he showed up in Blackhaven seven years ago, this place had seen some hard time, but of course things just got worse, and then he was tasked with taking care of it, part of it as his own self inflicted 12 labors, similar to the ones Hercules had done. He'd done how many now? Nine? No it was now ten since he got that accursed book of shadows. The Blair Witch wouldn't be rising any time soon, the last encounter was ugly and best forgotten.

Oriana was new to Blackhaven, that much he gained, but how did she get here? Surely given the menial jobs she was working it wasn't due to her own backings. He wasn't looking down on her, he just didn't understand how. His situation was different some was self inflicted, some of it was actual duty to which he was fully unsure of why he was tasked to defend Blackhaven.

Merlin said it was similar to his own defense of Camelot, but this to Declan was far less the beacon than Camelot was supposed to be. Still it looked like he wasn't going to stand alone for much longer, though Oriana did need some training.

This Ripper thing got him thinking, as did Wonka's presence. He picked up the phone.

"Gomez! Declan Emrys, remember me? Oh good, could you let Fester know I have his unbreakable beakers and those red light bulbs he wanted. I could stop by in a couple of days...sure Thursday works. I'll bring some brandy, tell Morticia I've got the good one. Yes I prefer the mint tea. Sounds good, yes I'll have someone with me. Okay my best to the family. Bye."

Gomez like to talk, but if anyone knew about the Ripper, he would, they did dance the Mamushka for him a few years back. He'd need to make sure Oriana had at least the basics of control down before that visit.

He wouldn't know till the next day, for now he got out of the tub and changed into sleepwear, sleep would be difficult to come by this evening as some other thoughts plagued him at the moment, an unsettling feeling that something was going to happen...and it would involve some strange creatures...

He had no way of knowing his old foe von Gothe, had just been killed by his own apprentice, Maxim Horvath, someone Declan knew too well from dealings with Peter Pan. As von Gothe's blood spilled on magic seal somewhere in the warehouse district, the ground began to rumble and some snake like being began to slither out...followed by a tangled mass of snake hair. All Horvath could do was grin menacingly as the shadowy figure covered in blood pulled up next to him.

"Jack, if you going to keep up your sacrifices, please don't get your victim's blood on my jacket, thank you."

Horvath, a medium height, somewhat portly man, always dressed in a business suit with a fur long coat and his ever present derby hat. The walking stick he carried was more for show, but he liked to use his powers through it as to avoid getting his hands dirty. Now he watched as the hydra and Medusa, no where near their full strength arose from the imprisonment they'd been set to long ago.

Last edited:
Natalya had grudgingly allowed her to change into some workout clothes, luckily being of the same size and now Oriana would have to cover the other girls shift at the Tea Party as a return favor. After all, nothing was free in Blackhaven. She'd chosen black leggings, sports bra, running top and luckily she had trainers already. In her hand she swung a duffel bag with spare change of clothes that would do for work later on tonight. Before she'd left her house she'd e-mailed her CV to Willy Wonka's factory HR team and the nearest Spa. The search for a decent job would continue!

As promised, she had a heavy full English breakfast and had carefully tied her unruly curls into a tight french braid. She was fully prepared to be made to jump through hoops, complete a drill of push ups and maybe even some kick boxing. Who knew, perhaps the secret to controlling her gifts would be to to control her physical form?

Oriana walked down the road heading to Arcana Cabana, ignoring the looks she got from passerby's as she was still considered a newbie in these parts. She looked up to an almost obscure town house which stood seemingly of no importance but she did feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. There had to be something to this place if Merlin's apprentice resided and worked here.

It seemed to vibrate with some kind of energy as she took the steps up to the door and opened it, there was a low creaking sound and she was greeted to a musty smell of old books and wood shavings. She peeked in, suddenly feeling out of her depth. "Hey, Spiderman...?" She joked but Declan wasn't to be seen. Tentatively she walked in, trailing her hand across the books displayed on the shelves and the strange artifacts protected within glass cases.

The wooden figurines seemed so lifelike as if frozen in time with delicate features and almost a look of fury upon their faces. She remembered how Declan had turned a man into ice the other night and straightened quickly. For all she knew these once were actual people. Hiding a shudder she walked around until she found a staircase but instead of going up it merely sat down on the last step.

Winston strolled out, he was annoyed at having to stay up late waiting on Merida, who at this time came out to greet their visitor, despite the dog's grumbling.

"Oh, you're here to see my brother aren't you? Well follow the will o' wisps down there, you'll find him alright. How rude, I am Merida Dunbroch, Declan's sister. You're Oriana aren't you?"

She was mess of fiery red hair, but she had it pulled back as if she'd just finished bathing. Standing at 5'4" she carried the same dignity all the Dunbroch clan did, one could tell though she wasn't as stuck up as the other nobility or upper class in Blackhaven. Wearing dresses wasn't something she enjoyed, even in this shop, though she did wear a blue top with the nice jeans as she'd often have buyers for books or wood carvings, she left the occult stuff to her older brother. She was one of those that Fergus was trying to marry off to enhance the standing of the Dunbroch's, Declan, Fergus could care less what that boy ended up with, though he still had to begrudgingly acknowledge the boy as his son, but forbade him from taking the name Dunbroch. This was a sore spot for the siblings, Merida was the heir and the boys to follow, Declan would merely get some of the money but no titles or lands.

"Go on, he's waiting for you, AREN'T YOU DEC?!"

Declan meanwhile had been sitting in a circle, meditating, trying to clear his mind and repress the damage done by Tinkerbell and Wendy, it was something that had been on his mind with the Ripper being loose, the scars showed that, the faint one on his back, one on his left side, one on his right side, and then who could forget the mark on his left upper arm, just above the bicep. The circle itself was an arcane symbol used by the druids, it showed the zodiac and the elements, the green flames surrounded him, it was called by the druids "dragon fire".

Merida's call down shook him out of that meditation, and he quickly grabbed a t shirt and pulled it on. The incense needed to remain burning, but he made a quick hand gesture to bring up some clay dummies, used to represent a human for training, the archery portion of the room was not going to be used, but still he'd have to answer that question when Oriana came down.

The candles were there as decor but also for training purposes, start small with certain things after all. He then turned to the tome that sat in off to the right of where he was meditating in the circle, flipping the pages away from certain spells and incantations, he didn't think Oriana could take that much on at one time, he was looking for something else, something that might help them a long the way...his uncle had given him this tome along with the possessed tea set down there...particularly it was the sugar bowl that was the annoyance, the rest of that tea set could behave...hopefully they'd not be using it.

Oriana had been startled when she heard Merida's voice, she barely noticed the dog since she was a little overwhelmed by the fiery haired woman. Obviously more was spoken about Merida than Declan, in the positive sense and all her notable efforts were whispered about country wide. As was with any decent person, her Mother never had a nice word to say about her and that made her practically someone to be revered. "Hi. It's nice to meet you." She replied pleasantly enough, nodding when she was identified correctly. She looked up the staircase and swallowed. Push ups, star jumps...squats. Here I come.

She slowly made her way down, dragging her duffel bag with a thud every time it hit the stairs and gazing at the photographs and paintings that lined the walls with a curious expression. She followed the wisps as Merida had said and sniffed at the scents that Declan had used via the candles. It was a touch too much on the senses but overall bearable.

The paintings had her curious though, some of them looked similar to Merida and others to Declan. Perhaps they were family heirlooms but each of them seemed to tell a story of battles and some form of apocalypse scenarios. Overcoming obstacles. All very dramatic and other-worldly. Oriana came up to a grey door and opened it with a hesitant breath and unsure smile.

"So this is where you were hiding." Her voice was curious but it had a touch of wariness, the clay dummies, candles and tomes hardly were your typical learning environment. "Ah, so...er, Batman. What am I doing here then?" She asked, dropping her bag in the corner of the room and removing her hoodie. She stretched out her arms in a bid to loosen up the muscles. "Wow you like your candles huh? I'll know what to get you for Christmas." She wrinkled her nose, walking into the middle of the room and eyeing the tome on the ground.

Oriana was at the same time actively avoiding eye contact with his one particular ring, the one that twinkled at her like a mischievous star and bid her to move closer. Nope, she wasn't getting sucked into any time vortex any time today or any day no matter what Declan said it did or didn't do.

"Cute, I see you found you're way down here alright...that's good. Very good. So there's no surprises, you've stepped in the circle, now there's no going back, you're in, clearly the goddess favors you."

He indicated that Oriana was standing in the circle, and she could see if she looked close enough that he was relieved that she was unharmed. He indicated a Celtic Goddess statue that came from the Isle of Avalon, a gift from his mother...his actual mother not Elenore. Winston in the meantime had slipped down unknown to Declan or Oriana, he was observing everything and reporting back to Declan's famed uncle. However Declan was more focused on Oriana.

Could she set me free? He'd never say it for fear she'd kick his ass, but silently he took the oath, I Declan Emrys, sorcerer of the 777th circle take Oriana Mikhailova as my apprentice.

He didn't apologize for the incense, but he was making an effort not to show her his left arm until he could cover his mark and figure out where to begin, he didn't want to do what his uncle had done to him all those years ago, Oriana was different than he was when he was learning, his own expectations were much much higher. Fire was the only thing he'd seen her do, perhaps that was where to start...other spells could wait, she first and foremost needed to understand her skills, that was the key.

"Okay, so let's start with the basics and work our way up, I've put up these clay figures to simulate a person...you're always going to need a basic defense or offense depending on how you look at it. I am not going to tell you to clear your mind, that doesn't work for everyone, just ask Mad Madam Mim...anyways...all I am going to do is tell you to focus on that target, imagine it's Mr. Hatter...and let it fly."

Declan showed her what he was talking about, focusing himself on one of the dummies and letting an energy blast go, shattering the dummy. He summoned up another to replace it.

"Oh and don't worry about hitting anything in here...all this stuff is warded so no harm can come to it, so relax and do your best there pyro."

Control that was something he'd not learned right away...but then again what 6 year old does have control? He didn't fully gain control until he was 21...but he got better as time went on, Oriana didn't have that kind of time...but he'd do what he could to help as he'd promised.

Oriana had a lot to take in, she'd jumped when he'd pointed out the circle. Gosh, she was rather oblivious sometimes and the surprise clearly showed on her face. When he had stared at her silently, as if thinking something rather hard, she had taken an uneasy step back but stayed in the circle. An eerie feeling had overcome her as her skin had prickled and senses seemed to go on hyper alert....but that could have been her paranoia so she shook it off rather quickly.

Oriana noticed he seemed to be standing to the side as if hiding something in is his left hand but she shrugged. As long as it wasn't a gun he wanted to shoot her with to each their own, she wasn't about to pry.

His instructions were rather vague, what was she supposed to do with just the thought of that scoundrel? There was no incantation? No particular hand movement? Then again, all she'd relied on was her emotions so far. So if anyone could cause her to loose her patience it would be that Mad Hatter.

When she looked to the clay dummy at first nothing happened. She took a trip down memory lane, all the insults, derision, objectification...it was all there. It was only when she became irritated with herself for not achieving anything and looked at Declan with a, 'this isn't working' expression that there was a bright engulf of blue flame that shot up from the bottom of the ground, through the dummy and hit the ceiling leaving nothing but ash and a burning dark mark behind.

Oriana wrinkled her nose and immediately began to miss the smell of incense.

"Er, Houdini? I was...just trying to burn his arm." She tilted her head and looked at the still smoking ground, "I think I eviscerated him." It was frightening, what if she'd done that to a real person one day? Then again, someone like Lancelot could do with a bit of flame going up his - ahem. "This isn't working." She huffed and crossed her arms.

As he was finally able to get his mark covered he observed her handiwork. To him he saw more emotion going than how he was able to channel his own powers...that came with the territory in having the lineage he and Merlin did, it took Declan a long time to learn that all with these sort of powers couldn't channel them all the same, he would do what he could to show patience and understanding...within reason, sometimes tough love was always called for...such as was in his case, being hard headed also didn't help him.

"We have a starting point at least, eviscerated, yes you did, believe me there's a few people I'd like to see this happen to, but that's discussion for another day. I'm guessing you think I am going to tell you clear your mind and envision this or that don't you?"

Declan moved over to her other side, making sure to keep a comfortable distance as not to unnerve Oriana and respect her personal space. He motioned with a hand gesture for another dummy to "rise" out of the floor and another to come out of the wall, he'd focus on the second one later, the one out of the wall was a close up and personal type training dummy.

"So let's try hand gestures, this might help a little in control, clearly you're not going to just snap your fingers and be in full control, so don't get frustrated, but let's see if we can't channel this a bit, okay so eyes on your target, the one in front of you, don't worry about the other one right now, focus, now release using this hand gesture."

Declan showed off a little more than the previous request, this time he made a hand gesture with his palm facing up and another energy blast went forth decimating one of the dummies legs. The exercise was meant to be a specific targeting one, sure Oriana had tried to burn the arm, this was going to help him get an understanding of how to best to help her, maybe she needed the hand gestures, failing that, they'd go to incantations, though most of Declan's incantations were done without reciting...years of training did that for the basics...though if he was doing illusions or even the incantations that would say cause someone to be turned into a frog or make someone fall head over heels, those required heavy incantations...often learned from books.

He backed off a little more giving her some space and was ready to see what more Oriana had.

Oriana had paid close and rapt attention, she sucked on her teeth and tried to imitate his hand movement. When nothing happened once more she deflated. Come on, you survived Mother. You can do this. It took her another six attempts to feel the heat grow in her hand, the familiar pins and needles were slower this time instead of rapid and she shifted her feet back when a fiery shot released itself from her palm and hit the dummy straight through the heart. In it's place was now a smoking perfectly round hole. The effect of a rather large bullet.

"Ah...erm, maybe a little more to the right?" Oriana said sheepishly, rubbing her forehead and sighing out.

This wasn't as easy as it looked, although she could force the fire so to speak she couldn't seem to grasp how to start it immediately, direct it and hold the level of power at her will and desire.

Oriana tilted her head back and stretched out her limbs, rubbing her palms on the material of her leggings before aiming her hand again. She stuck it out more loosely this time, by now she'd bitten her lower lip raw from the frustration of not being able to quickly do as he had shown and instructed her. The next flame finally hit the intended dummy arm but it wasn't nearly as shocking as the ones before it. It turned into small wisps as it hit the arm and barely caused a singe. "You have got to be kidding me." Oriana looked up at the ceiling, containing a growl.

"Good! Very good! See you can do this!"

Declan laughed about the comment about a little more to the right, trying to boost her confidence. He could see this was difficult for her, as it had been to him all those years ago. Hand movements and incantations seemed to be the way to go with Oriana, but he'd take smaller steps, she needed the boost in his mind and he would do his best to give it to her.

He'd noted her second attempt, and nodded. It wasn't a disappointed nod, it was more of one that said I understand, but being unable to say the words. Declan was for all his joking a very aloof person, given what had been done to him and other things he'd been forced to endure over the years had made getting too close to some very difficult, only Merlin and Merida could break that wall down. Now Winston was more like a Merlin's eyes, and basically a butler for them. He was doing his damnest to give Oriana some much needed positive re-enforcement.

"Oriana, relax, you cannot beat a river into submission; you have to surrender to its current, and use its power as your own. I get that doesn't make much sense, not everything does. Not everything has to. You're emotions have taken you far, they won't take you further, as I was told long ago, surrender."

Merlin had told him the same thing when he was 6 then again when he was 12 and again at 18. Only now did he understand his uncle's meaning. Okay so she fizzled...she'd have to get it sooner or later...still he'd give her some other words his uncle did.

"You will not control your magic if you will not control yourself."

How often had Declan been told that one? He'd lost count...he really did, in his youth his own emotions caused dramas with magic, even last year that incident with Tinkerbell...and Wendy...

No! He'd not think of that....there lies and games and what they'd done to him...he'd hoped Oriana could set him free...but this was something only she could do now...when he had no clue.

"Did you want to try incantations or keep going with the hand movements?"

Hours past by, the room by now was crackling with the spent energy and force driven out of Oriana. Still she hadn't managed to assume all control of her Pyrokinesis.

Instead she sat crossed legged on the floor, head drooping and idly flicking her wrist in the ten potential movements one could to direct their gift and muttering the incantations. Yes, she'd managed on a few occasions to light particular parts of the dummies but it wasn't consistent. The aim was to make sure she could do it at a moments notice without even thinking about it yet without loosing her control and will.

At some point, someone, Oriana wasn't even sure who had left a plate of mini pastries that had kept her going until now. Now she was sweaty and grimy, the dust on the floor sticking to her and weirdly everything hurt. Especially her head. She stood up with a groan and stretch, "Okay...Hal Jordan, I'm going to have to go." The watch on her wrist was indicating that she needed to shower, change and get her ass to work. To the lovely and glorious Tea Partywhich made her thrilled to be alive.

"Thank you for instructing me." She murmured, pushing her hair out of her face and finding her duffel bag which she had dragged in. "...will you still be happy to do it again? I'll come back tomorrow, same time?" Oriana knew that she had been a bit of a disappointment today, Honestly, she hadn't expected to be this bad. No matter his advice of not beating rivers into submission and controlling yourself bef-She swore mentally he was related to the Strange family now, she hadn't been able to follow through.

Oriana couldn't really blame his techniques of teaching her, he'd sure tried everything and remained patient. She was rather surprised he hadn't thrown her out after the first three hours.

Back