Patience had been something he'd been trained in...sure he'd get angry...but that would be another matter should it happen. Behind the mask of humor and the guidance he was providing Oriana there was something more, a hurting she could notice with the proper looks or if she'd been studying him close enough. Sure the Mr. Know-it-all was from his uncle Merlin, who really did know all...but Declan's was more humorous as if he'd been trying to mask something.

The fear of getting close again...the fear of loss, sure he could take lives, he did that more than he cared to, but losing friends and allies was another matter. Still Oriana showed some progress, it was only the first round of training, but tomorrow's lesson would be on the road, he owed Fester Addams some items and maybe a road test as Phil called them was what was needed here. Still trying to keep his left arm out of her direct view as to avoid questions, he let her know a couple of things.

"When you stepped in that circle, I told you there was no going back, so you're stuck with me teaching you, however tomorrow, you'll need to dress casually, you're getting a road test at the Addams Mansion."

Winston strolled over to Declan and produced tickets to a charity event hosted by Statler and Waldorf...it was a comedy roast, and there were two tickets...Declan indicated to give them to Merida, Winston head-butted Declan in the shin.

"Ow! Okay okay! Oriana, we've also got another road test...charity event on Saturday hosted by Statler and Waldorf. I don't want to put you in danger, but there will be some danger, Horvath and possibly Peter Pan will be there, you'll have to have proper attire for this one...not Cinderella's type stuff but something nice. We'll talk about it later, I know you have to run."

He couldn't read minds, that was something his uncle could do, but judging by how she reacted...he had a hunch and an unsettling feeling. A big one.

"If Mr. Hatter gives you trouble tonight, call me I'll deal with it. If not, take this incantation with you, it may be forward of me, but I don't want you to to fall into Alice's girls or the Ripper's path for that matter."

Declan had used this incantation before, at the age of 10, it was simply intimidation or aura thing, a nice way of getting people to back off, Oriana could do this with ease as none of her own powers were required, just a simple hand on an object thing. What she didn't know or maybe she did after stepping in the circle, is she was protected...she would not have been able to step in the circle otherwise.

Winston indicated in his way that she was protected too, his eyes glowing orange and sending Oriana a message through telepathy, and even reiterating Declan's incantation he'd given her was based on touching an object. Declan walked Oriana to the door to the "training room" and held it open for her.

Oriana had jumped when Winston had appeared, in the whole time she had been here she hadn’t noticed Declan had a dog and of course his pet wasn’t normal. Of course. “Oh my-“ She barely got out before Declan started walking her to the door. “Wai-what?!” She rubbed her forehead, eyes wide. The dog just spoke to me. Or she was so tired she now thought she was hearing voices, “W-Wait. I didn’t know you had a pet? A…a, what is he a demon dog?!” She looked at Declan inquisitively.

He wasn’t scary per-se, if he hadn’t had done an impression of Beam me up Scotty with his two beady eyes she’d have probably been crouching and giving him a good belly rub. Before Winston had hit her with the incantation mind whammy, she’d been looking Declan over, the haunted look in his eyes had made her brows furrow and the realization that throughout the whole training session he had kept his left arm out of her direct view. What was he hiding from her? She knew and understood that everyone had secrets but why did it feel like his subdued behavior was triggered further by her presence?

Before he could answer about his unnatural pet she grabbed his left hand, looking down at it and turning it this way and that then pulled up the short sleeve up in a quick yank to his shoulder. “Alright Gandalf, what are you hiding – nothing. Why were you being so shady?” Apart from a strange circular scar above his right bicep, it wasn’t as if he had been concealing a weapon or some secret wand Harry Potter-esque. Her eyes didn’t move from the scar though, it was as if it was there to tell her a story but she didn’t have all the chapters.

The charity event unnerved her, she wasn’t some socialite and wasn’t sure how she would fare in such a setting. Mostly the women there would look down on her, maybe rightly so and why did she get a feeling from the dog that he was almost gleeful that she had to go with Declan on this? Proper attire. Great, that was another expense. There were some second hand shops nearby maybe she could find something suitable there.

Despite all the above, the strange vibes and feelings she was glad. Glad that she would be protected in some way from the Mad Hatter not that she would fall into Alice’s crowd. It was rather insulting for anyone to think that after what she’d been through with Lancelot. The fear of the Ripper she could understanding, at this point he was hardly being picky with who he was tearing apart.

Declan's own shock, was clear in his eyes, yet he didn't betray any more emotion than the previous spring's bird nest. He couldn't stop her...it was too fast and she'd now seen the famed Emrys mark, that of the dragon. It may have looked strange, but it looked as if it was carved in via a claw or something similar, it was a Pictish-Norse scar, a rune so to speak that symbolized that dragon. Oriana being able to touch him without being harmed in some way shocked him and provided Winston a ton of amusement, he was sure that had Merida been watching...she was also laughing her ass off.

"It's a mark...I've had it since I was 12...my uncle says it's the mark of the dragon..."

He couldn't say more, he was shaken to the core, this hadn't happened before, Tinkerbell was a faerie, it wouldn't harm her...but the illusion of Wendy caused hurt and confusion. Elsa had tried and she'd pulled back burned fingers...still she was insistent on trying to get Declan in her own bed, to which he flat out refused her at every turn. Thankfully she'd been quiet for the last several months...though he expected her to be at the Statler and Waldorf event, they'd have to deal with that when it was time.

"Winston...is unique, he may look like a normal dog. But believe me he's more like a butler trapped in a dog's body..."

Another firm head-butt from Winston followed and Declan again expressed pain again, that dog had a way of keeping things on target didn't he? Still it was preventing the massive awkwardness going on, if Declan's jaw could have hit the floor it would have broken through the floor and would have gone straight through to the core of the earth. He was still wondering how the hell Oriana was still standing unharmed, sure Merida was one thing...they were related, unfortunately so were the boys...but others...no other couldn't without some harm...what in the world just happened? And who was this Gandalf she was on about?

"Uh...I think Merida can help you if you need some attire..."

Winston again pushed Declan as if to tell him, you need to give her more information than that!

Last edited:
Oriana didn’t notice his shock, simply peered more closely at the scar and hummed at his explanation of what it was. “Interesting birth mark!” She nodded tiredly, tracing the mark slightly with her finger before jumping back. “Sorry.” Looked like she had forgotten her sense of personal boundaries for a second.

She glanced down at Winston apologetically, “Erm…I meant to no insult by calling you a demon-dog-thing, erm-“Lords, this was awkward. She was talking to a butler-dog. There was conscious thought to this being and now said being looked extremely amused and perhaps a tad bit frustrated with Declan. She had no clue why though. “Well, I’ll be off then Sirius Black…and no, I won’t trouble Merida….” Oriana had never liked hand me downs from people she knew especially since Rapunzel always got the best and she got the cast offs. “See you then.” Before she met him again, she would perhaps spend the last bit of her savings on extra items of clothing that she might not have necessarily thought to buy.

At that point, Oriana needed to leave Arcana Cabana. Not because she was in a rush to get home and then work. No, more because there was a sudden feeling of intense energy coming off Declan that made her wary. Perhaps a little scared. Not that she would ever admit it. Her legs had scampered all the way up the stairs, duffel bag thrown over her shoulder and with a hurried goodbye to Merida she was out breathing in the polluted air of Blackhaven. They could thank Mr Burns and his nuclear power plant on the outskirts of the town for that. Springfield wasn’t the only one who suffered the affects of his business. The newspapers had been rife with politics lately since he wanted to run for Mayor at Blackhaven. Oriana didn't read much into it. The man was not nearly as popular enough as that Bart. Although rumors had it that the whole town suffered from jaundice due to the nuclear power plants. So how long they'd manage to retain their position before loosing out due to ill health who knew.

It was only when she got home and had rushed into the shower, scrubbing her face clean of the sweat and dust that her eyes shot open and she groaned in pain from not only the shampoo going into her eyes but Declans words coming back to haunt her. You're getting a roads test at the Addams Mansion.

"Not the Addams!" Oriana nearly slumped under the spray of the water, mentally cursing her luck and fate. "Why the Addams?!"

The feeling of having his mark traced was slightly interesting to Declan, he could feel his hands almost tense up, not in a negative way...more as if it was a nervous thing...still he didn't stop her, not that he could he was still in shock. A shock that was still apparent when Oriana had left and he soon followed up the stairs to a laughing Merida.

"Boy you're something you know that? Though you may want to pick your jaw up off the floor. You've got a visitor coming...you might want to clean up and get yourself presentable, that Stan Laurel hair do you've got going might cause issues."

Declan hadn't notice he'd had the famed Laurel "fright wig" thing going on with his hair, sometimes he'd run his hand through it and not notice, in this case he'd done so coming up the stairs...state of shock still wearing on him. He could see Winston at the top of the stairs where the bedrooms and office was indicating he needed to shower. How that dog moved so quickly was beyond him other than to say it was a kind of magic. Well it was, the dog wasn't exactly a normal dog, again Winston had a magical property to him that Merlin had done, in another life Winston had been a different kind of wizard/druid/sorcerer's familiar, Winston took always took the form that was the least noticeable, Declan didn't know previous incarnations of Winston, he'd only ever known him as the bulldog butler.

He'd caught the news that Mr. C.M. Burns wanted to challenge Mayor Snow White for run of the city, like Burns would win that mess, sure he'd had money but his nuclear plant was a sore spot with many and not just in Springfield. Blackhaven had it's share of Burns corporation around the city, so footholds in his businesses were there. Declan made a call to Hansel and Gretel's bake and chocolate shop...his voice still had the shock resonating from it, but he ordered a cake to take to the Addams' house. He'd have to brief Oriana on what to expect and how to deal with them...they were a bit odd and lived just outside the city, that foreboding mansion was hard to miss...there were many mansions that were hard to miss, but this one was different.

Still he had a guest to tend to, cleaning up he was still trying to figure out the details of how Oriana was unharmed and what the energy was other than her becoming the apprentice officially...not that he'd ever call her that...he was more afraid she would kick his ass should he even think it. Declan took a quick shower to clean up and make himself presentable. He returned dressed in a proper graphic t shirt and jeans, and despite Winston's insistence, Declan refused shoes. Merida showed Declan to the table set by the bookshelves, and there was the almost seven foot muscle bound Hercules.

"So, Blackhaven has a wizard now huh?"

"Tea?"

"I don't drink tea."

"What do you drink?"

"Not tea."

Declan wasn't in the mood for guessing games, knowing Hercules was one of those Greeks that was male and chauvinistic...he went with his gut and changed the tea service that Merida had laid out to a wine and cheese layout.

"So, what brings the mighty Hercules to my door?"

"It's a bit of a long story. Family drama, that kind of thing. But, my father Zeus has forbidden me to battle the hydra again."

"Oh, okay. So what do you need from me?"

"You and your apprentice to help. Promptly."

Great, just what he needed, the hydra running amok and a messenger from Zeus getting involved...yet it wasn't Hermes...no worse...Hercules...

Training had been exceedingly difficult, but Oriana believed last night had been a breakthrough. She had managed to concentrate enough that she had blasted the dummies in targeted areas of their body at least twenty to thirty times in a row. She had to be thankful to Declan for being exceedingly patient even if he did twitch every time she moved to give him a high five. Oriana had noticed him being touched by Merida without issues so it wasn’t some twisted OCD issue. He probably didn’t like her. Oriana tried not to take it personally. It wasn’t as if they were friends. It was a student/teacher relationship at the most.

Training every day and working at the Tea Party throughout the night meant for the few hours she did get to sleep she had been knocked out as soon as her head touched the pillow. Eye bags for days really.

Today, training hadn’t been cancelled per se, but this afternoon was all about the dreaded field test at the Addams Mansion.

It made Oriana wonder if Declan secretly despised her and planned to torture her there. Without Merida and Winston coming to her defense she really was at his mercy surrounded by those oddballs.

She’d heard that their prized and precious daughter Wednesday had only been released from prison recently and they had thrown a ‘well done’ party for her and a large cake had been ordered to celebrate her time behind bars.

The thought of their Matriarch, Mrs Morticia Addams, had triggered another complex shopping trip.

Oriana had nearly burst into tears in the fitting rooms, a combination of not knowing what to wear and looking at the price tags. She had barely restrained the ripple of fire going down one particular aisle of clothing and settled for a navy skater dress from the sales, old opaque tights and chosen her Chelsea boots she had worn to the night at Mushu’s. It was topped with a red long line hooded cardigan and small black beaded clutch.

The hood was being put in use currently for the drizzly weather as she made her way to Arcana Cabana and opened the door. “Hi Merida, Winston…Captain America!” She called out, now more familiar in her greetings than she had been a few days ago.

She wiped her heels on the welcome mat and pushed her hood back, letting her auburn curls tumble around her face. In order not to embarrass Declan she had even applied some lipstick and very light makeup. Then feeling exceedingly silly had wiped it all off apart from the lipstick. The more presentable she tried to make herself look the more Mrs Morticia Addams would make fun of her. At least that’s how it usually worked out for Oriana. She was sure.

“Ready if you are!” She added, looking up at the staircase. Oriana had never been up to the bedrooms but knew that Declans office was up there. Personally every time she came she would head straight down the stairs to the circle.

Hercules' visit had been unnerving the day before, he feared that Oriana wasn't ready to face the troubles he had to deal with regularly. But news of the hydra, the one Hercules slew a long time ago...had been raised again, and now Zeus was asking for they're help? Well he needed help of his own. Merida had informed him they had another visitor that evening...one Declan was happy to have, his uncle Merlin.

Merlin himself stood two inches taller than his nephew, was of thin build, and his once dark hair now was no longer, he was sporting a bald look now and wearing black. The suit Declan had noted was one of great expense and he knew his uncle preferred to have MacDuck do his suits. Merlin's green eyes and stare were frightening and equally comforting.

"Declan my boy, you can drop that look of surprise and give your old uncle Merlin a hug..."

Merlin knew full well as he embraced his nephew that something of shock had hit him, Merlin knew all, he just didn't like to advertise it. Winston also had a hand in Merlin's knowledge on what had been going on with the practice and of course Merida gave her inputs as well.

"So let me guess my boy, you're going to ask me why Oriana didn't burst into flames upon touching you eh? Well that's a simple answer, but neither of you know it do you? Well I suppose the fates work in mysterious ways don't they? Did she see your mark? Of course she did. What about your ring...no you still have it."

"Uncle Merlin, the ring has been acting bizarre since the other night. I could see when we were walking home that it was glowing or pulsing."

"Everything in time. Right now you have a major task at hand, aside from that damn shadow man you call the Ripper running amok, you're old friend von Gothe has died...at Horvath's hand, you wonder why that muscle head was here...well Horvath has gorgon sisters and the hydra doing his bidding, I needn't tell you that mayor White wants it dealt with."

"Yes...but there's the Addams..."

"I know the Addams Account. Your road test and I know you got the tickets I procured for you for the charity event. You're needed there too, both of you. You're not free yet of your self imposed labors, but since you bound yourself to that...I can't interfere."

Declan didn't answer only nodded, he knew his duty. Merlin wasn't staying for anything more than dinner, after all he did hold a high council position within Blackhaven, one he often was sought after for advice. That or when Mayor White demanded he get a handle on Declan.

The following day, Declan had been trying to figure out how to present himself to the Addams' he'd only met Wednesday in passing and worked with Fester, but his outfit with Fester was just basic attire, this time he was on their turf. Merlin had advised him not to over do it. But taking a page from his uncle, he hated the loafer shoes but wore them again, this time the brown ones. He chose dark tan slacks as well with a blood red shirt and black vest, he hated long sleeves, they got in the way of using his powers...that and if he needed to use his mark. He rolled the long sleeves up to about the elbow, this time it was the dark brown duster and fingerless gloves, his ever present ring wasn't on his finger but in his pocket.

He was moving an autographed picture of Laurel and Hardy on his dresser when he heard Oriana's calls from downstairs, he was debating on wearing a hat, the wide brimmed one, but decided against it, the last thing he needed was to look like a bloody cowboy at the Addams mansion. The shock had worn off, but now he was left questioning if Oriana would ask him follow up questions about the mark or why he was so shocked at her ability to touch him without harm.

Did he look eccentric? Probably...but considering where they were going...that was needed. He descended the stairs making sure he had two items, the cake he ordered for their trip up to the Addams mansion, and the items he'd promised Fester. It would be hard to explain what they'd be expecting when they got there, but it was going to be a cab ride there, Merida had the car today, she was going to see their parents after all.

"Good, you're here, cab should be here in about 5 minutes."

Declan would carry both parcels, he didn't want the family all over Oriana right when they walked in.

Oriana got out of the cab with a thought that she’d really like to head back. Right now.

This very second.

Yet, knowing that Declan had parcels he needed to deliver made her sigh and take the steps towards the gates. The big large metallic looming gates. That's right. Those black spiked and noisy gates which automatically opened for them. She took a minute to peer up at the tower smack bang in the middle of the Mansion. Even in daylight it seemed so ominous. What kind of architecture was this?

It wasn’t a building that would win in any home magazine. Quite the contrary, the nicest thing Oriana could come up with for it was that it had…. character.

Oriana’s green eyes could only widen as she took in the decrepit site. The grey white paint, cracked wooden slants, stone cold walls, bare and brittle branches strewed about, cobwebs everywhere…and, what appeared to be a welcome sign…dripping in blood. For some apprentice.

Whatever would they need an apprentice for? To shape up the place? It could do with a lick of paint she supposed. At least they appeared to have manners and from the sign, she imagined they treated their staff with their own version of kindness and respect.

The air here was colder too, she shuddered and turned back to Declan with another sigh. “You look nice by the way.” She finally managed to say, through numb lips. Oriana had noticed his efforts earlier even if she supposed that Winston had forced him into dressing up. “I-…what am I doing here by the way?” She had to ask, if this was a field test then what was she being tested for exactly? Resilience to the towns biggest oddballs?

She jumped when the front door slammed open, turning her head just as the wind picked up.

Oriana’s hair whipped back as the cold gusty wind hurtled towards them but quickly faded. What was that? She wouldn’t be surprised if the dead haunted this place. Even their land seemed like a huge burial site. There was a tree to the right of them which looked like it had been hit by lightning at some point and a singular rope hung from it as if ready for someone to stick their necks through it for a game of Hangman.

Then again, from the stories of their children constantly battling to torture and kill each other she was surprised that there weren’t any boobie traps leading to the front porch of the Mansion. Or was there?

Declan had been silent most of the ride, and part of the walk up to the door of the mansion, lost in thought mostly. But stirred when Oriana had mentioned how he dressed.

"Thanks, you do too, look nice I mean. So why we're here, sometimes getting intelligence on certain things helps in using your powers, this is one of those cases. You've seen the mess the Ripper is on about, well the Addams' did a dance, I think it was called the mamushka...specifically for Jack the Ripper, they might know something about him. Besides they owe me for Wednesday..."

The old mansion was intimidating to say the least, but the family that lived here was something else, eccentric wasn't the way to best describe them...odd or cooky was, creepy was a definitive. The giant butler called Lurch, who looked like a zombie...no...more like the monster Dr. Frankenstein released. His gray color and flat head with protruding brow, he was a hulking mass of muscle, the simple response of "You rang?" came forth, nothing followed, the emotionless face hinted at a smile as the sight of Declan and Oriana, he led them in to the front parlor but not before taking the cake Declan had, it was just as the rest of the house with cobwebs, and dark Gothic decor. The dead roses were nice...as were the dead bushes.

The massive stair case was old and creaky, it was then Declan sensed it...and as he saw it coming he gently pushed Oriana aside and dropped the other parcel he was carrying. The rapier barely missing Declan's head and embedding itself in the door.

"Damn! Missed!"

Declan removed his coat tossing it aside, his ring appearing suddenly on his finger, though not glowing, his fingerless gloves remained on and he took defensive stance, as a bunch of a daggers came flying at Declan, the sorcerer used several hand gestures to deflect them harmlessly to various sides.

Gomez Addams, average height, black hair and pencil mustache, his black striped suit impeccable, however the rapier in his hand suggested he meant business, however one could tell he liked Declan and Oriana and this was some sort of game to him.

"Dirty pool old man! I like it!"

Declan wasn't carrying Excalibur, that was clear but Declan's hands were glowing now and he was making gestures to parry blows that Gomez was making with the rapier and deflecting daggers that were being tossed, making sure they went no where near Oriana. Their "duel" went on for several minutes, going up and down the stairs and even some rolling and flips that made an Earl Flynn movie look tame. Gomez made one more attempted thrust, however Declan was turned facing Oriana he had been conjuring a lightning ball that he whipped around and blasted Gomez with...both men when flying in opposite directions, with Gomez landing in front of a family member's statue, while Declan ended up at Oriana's feet.

"Tish! Fester! Children! Our guests have arrived!"

Declan was still reeling from the cracked rib from the incident with Mushu's, heard the familiar lunging and strange lumbering that the famed Fester Addams did.

"Holy smokes! It's Declan, I've not seen you in ages, not since you got that brain for me! It was delicious!"

Declan was now in a sitting up position still at Oriana's feet.

"Hi Fester, it has been too long, Dr. Frankenstein is still terrified of you."

"And who is this lovely thing? Down Fester!"

Fester had been getting close to Oriana to get a gauge of who she was, but at Gomez's command had backed down.

"That's Oriana."

"Oh so that's the new apprentice, that's just bone breakingly excellent! Dr. Frankenstein better not show his face again, or he won't have one to show, hahahahaha."

Fester went to go help Declan up while Gomez was brushing himself off, more than excited about the appearance of the famed sorcerer's apprentice.

To say she was utterly bewildered would be an understatement. At being described as the apprentice she opened and closed her mouth. What? Declan had just offered her up as some apprentice to the Addams? How could he do such a thing? Without even asking her. She glared down at him and roughly helped him up with a slap to Festers hand for getting in the way, "Y-you! You just-...what do they mean by appr-" She was cut off as pull on the back of her head had her whirling around and looking at a thin wiry white-haired old woman. Said woman was currently holding some strands of her red hair in her hand with a gleeful look upon a face. She just pulled out my hair!

"Look at this Wednesday. It's practically alive!" Although her voice was sweet it hardly matched up with the withered face and witches’ hat. She seemed to be enthralled with the bounce of Oriana’s singular curl. "Dinners gonna be late, I need to add a few extra bits." She cackled, twining the strand of hair around her finger and then clasping her hands together. "Oh deary, are you on the donations list? Morticia come come. Look at her eyes. They look ripe for the taking."

Oriana didn't know where to put herself, one second, she was opening and closing her mouth like a goldfish and in the next second the family Matriarch had appeared out of nowhere and grabbed her hand yanking her into the parlor room.

"You must be Oriana, come take a seat. Let the men play." Oriana saw a blur of black wallpaper and before she knew it was pushed down on a surprisingly comfy chair. A random singular hand crawled up the coffee table next to her and handed her a chipped tea cup.

“Ah-er…Thank you?” Oriana peered down at it dumbfounded, it seemed to be some kind of green tea concoction...albeit with a maggot inside. The decapitated hand was already crawling up to settle on her shoulder. She tried to suppress a shudder.

"It's Grandmama's Addams Special Green Tea." A droll voice came to her right and Oriana turned and swallowed, it was no doubt Wednesday. She was recognizable from all the wanted posters that still fluttered through the streets of Blackhaven. Tight braided pigtails, round oval pale face and that pristine white collar. Exactly like in the photos. At the moment her darker than night eyes were looking right through her.

"T-thank you." Oriana nodded to the three women and looked out through the open doors to Declan who still stood there. Her face was clearly unimpressed. He'd gotten her into this mess. He better get her out of it too. “Who….is?” She turned to look at the hand which was now stroking away at her hair.

“That’s Thing. He likes you.” Wednesday got up and walked over to the doorway, folding her arms and staring blandly at Declan. “You’re alive.” She stated, it wasn’t clear if she was pleased or unhappy about this fact.

Oriana was left under the hooded gaze of Morticia Addams who sat silently observing her as if judging her and analyzing her. Lords, I’m not here to marry your son there is no need to look at me like that.

Declan now was back on his feet and trying hard not to show the pain on his left rib, sure his breathing was in sharper breaths, but otherwise he was fine as Lurch helped him get dusted off. He'd been eyed by Wednesday and the comment about being alive almost made him laugh, he had to remember not to do it too hard.

"Yes I am, Wednesday, nice to see you again, did you use that poison I gave you on your brother?"

It was then he heard the commentary from Morticia about letting the boys play...and took his cue, though the look he gave Oriana was one that said this would all be over soon. How soon though? Now that was the real question, there was never any telling once Gomez and Fester got going, but something else shattered the awkward silence. A loud vehicle crash, and waddling into the room was Pugsley, that accounted for the lot of the family, the portly kid was carrying a stop sign...well that would explain the crash.

"Bravo Pugsley!"

Clearly that trick impressed the boy's father. Declan stayed emotionless about it, avoiding thoughts of who he would have liked to see crash their car. Again his thoughts were broken.

"Hey do that trick with ring again."

"Trick? This ring has a mind of it's own..."

"Fester, do you remember when we were children, that Chinese finger trap you wore for two years and you had to learn to eat with your feet?"

"Yeah, Gomez, but I still eat with my feet when the mood strikes! Like when we have that kraken stew for dinner!"

Gomez turned his attention to Declan once again, while Fester and Pugsley were going through the parcel that Declan had brought, the famed unbreakable beakers and the red light bulbs.

"So, is this visit new business or old business? You know we don't do new business until the next quarter!"

"Old business, Jack is back Gomez, and he's causing a bigger stir this go round in Blackhaven. I was wondering..."

"Oh Jack the Ripper, yes I've noticed his artwork is slipping to levels that aren't worthy of the proper recognition!"

"Yeah, seems that time we danced the mamushka in his honor, he's let it go to his head, and not in the good way Gomez, I mean it was nice he was giving me those organ to work with, but from what I've seen of this latest spree...he's only removing well...those womanly parts...and the hearts."

"Fester, are you just upset you're no longer getting your parts dear brother?"

"No, I've got other means...Dr. Frankenstein...."

"Yes, Fester and I had a bit of deal struck after he let that monster go loose, the one---"

"He STOLE THAT FROM ME! ME FESTER ADDAMS! NO ONE TAKES MY WORK!"

Gomez trying to get a word in, threw a dagger that landed cleanly in Fester's mouth, while he liked to see Fester get all worked up, they did have guests that were there for a reason beyond the social call.

"Sorry about that Declan, but yes the Ripper has borrowed, oh let me be honest, STOLEN one of our family heirlooms, it was knife handed down by I think, I'd have to ask Tish, Fauntleroy Addams who was into black magic. That knife means much to this family."

"If you tell me where I can find the Ripper, I certainly will make the attempt to recover the knife."

Fester by this point had pulled the knife out of his mouth, as almost in shock told Declan.

"Please tell me you know of the Halloween Ball? I mean everyone's going to be there including Jack."

"You are going old boy aren't you? You do have date now."

Declan had to ponder this information, he'd have to hold off till Halloween, then again the Ripper had been cunning in many ways so to hide in plain site at someplace like the Halloween Ball...then again, the Ripper could be going after something big. There something that wasn't being said by Gomez or the rest of the family.

"Mr. Emrys, look at my serial killer card collection! I am just missing Jack the Ripper and that Zodiac guy!"

Declan looked over those serial killer cards, he'd seen these somewhere before, he just couldn't recall it.

Wednesday gave Declan a displeased look, “Hmm. I did.” It hadn’t lasted long. “Make it more potent next time.” She went back to her chair next to Oriana, picking up the book she had been reading prior to their arrival. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. She obviously held no real interest in Oriana, which the redhead was thankful to, but had she known Wednesday better then it would have shown that the pale girl did like her. To some extent. After all, she hadn’t tried to maim and kill her. Yet.

Morticia sighed in adoration, clapping her hands softly when Gomez threw the knife expertly and shut Fester up. “Isn’t he talented?” Grandmama simply hummed but Oriana looked at her indecorously. This was how their men played? This is what Morticia was entertained by?

The parcel turned out to have junk, beakers and bulbs that Fester and Pugsley raided.

Oriana was exasperated by the fact they had come to this madhouse to deliver something that could be ordered off Amazon. Hadn’t these people heard of Prime? The information she was overhearing about the ball was annoying, if Declan wanted to deal with the Ripper why not just hire a sharp shooter but Gomez had mentioned Declan had a date to the night so that saved her from getting involved. She felt sorry for whoever he dragged along on his hero escapade.

It must have been due to the surprisingly soft hand of Thing stroking at her hair, when Pugsley started showing off some card collection to Declan she ended up yawning and putting the still filled cup back on the coffee table.

Her eyes had drooped a little and she let slip three words unknowingly that she would regret to the end of her existence.

“Gods, I’m bored.”

The book in Wednesday’s hand dropped to the floor, Morticia let out an affronted gasp and Grandmama’s hat flew off her head and hung off the dusty chandelier above them. Poor Thing got tangled in her hair in his attempt to escape from her.

“Ow! Thing, stop!” Oriana protested, not sure why they were all so surprised. They’d sat her down with a strange maggot tea and a practically silent Wednesday for company.

“Mon Diable! This can not be!” Morticia added, rising from her chair with a rustle of her black gown.

“Tish! You spoke French!”

“Not now my love.”

Declan hadn't heard what Oriana had said, just the commotion of Gomez going bonkers over the French line...Declan was left with Fester and Pugsley with Lurch dusting about and finally taking his place at the huge organ piano and began playing as if something were about to take place, something big.

"Declan, I think your apprentice girl friend there said she was bored...I am not sure I know what the meaning of that word is...but you probably should come see my lab, that new TNT I've been working on is a real blast!"

Pugsley waddled to where Wednesday was and asked her what bored meant. Gomez was at this point all over his wife as Declan was essentially led to Fester's laboratory...he'd never been there before, the last time Declan had visited the mansion was during a seance with the Ouija board that Grandmama had been doing...had nothing to do with Declan but he was invited after the Doctor Frankenstein incident with Fester.

The laboratory, to call it that was generous, it looked more like a torture room with beakers that were smoking away. Of course the blood and other experimental explosions had not been cleaned in some time, nor had the cobwebs been swept away. He'd know one other scientist who would fit in this mess, but he was different Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant Beaker...whacky was the way to describe those two. Fester was just bat shit insane and the most cooky of the lot. However it wasn't the TNT he wanted to show the sorcerer. No, he wanted to have a word in private with him about the Ripper and Oriana.

"So, your little squeeze of an apprentice, she's on the Ripper's list, I don't know why, but I'm telling you what my brother won't. The ritual killing is being done to raise something huge, I am not sure what it is, but it's bad...on the level of you dealing with that cheranabog thing back in Transylvania."

"Thanks, but that knife Gomez was on about...what is so special about it?"

"That thing, calls the darkness, we keep it as fun, we'll never use it, it's been behind glass. Though I think we're going to give it to Wednesday when she gets married...but she'll use it responsibly. Like I do with the light bulbs. Now that cracked rib of yours...do you still need it?"

Declan had to ponder this...that knife the Ripper was using...a black magic one...that couldn't be good for any involved. But now Oriana was on his list...that was odd, the Ripper never killed anything but the famed ladies of the night.

"Yes I still need my rib...but you can have this one"

Declan conjured a random rib to appease Fester, maybe it was payment for the additional information. Fester meanwhile placed the rib in one of his brewing concoctions...after a few moments.

"Uh oh, it's gonna BLOW!"

Declan and Fester were sent flying, Declan almost by Fester's doing or maybe someone else in the house, was blown clear through to where Oriana was sitting, again landing almost in front of her, but more off to the side of her left leg his head resting on her thigh. Clearly due to the explosion parts of his clothing was ripped and small not lethal cuts on him as well.

Fester meanwhile had been blasted into the famed rose garden and ended up hanging upside down tangled in the roses , behind Wednesday laughing hysterically.

"Next time I need more bat guano!"

Gomez had noted Declan's landing spot.

"Bravo Fester, good landing spot for the sorcerer!"

Declan looked dazed and was still kind of shaking his head as if to unscramble his brains and get the bells to stop ringing.

Oriana could only widen her eyes, Pugsley had been thrown out by Wednesday and in the time it had taken Fester to show Declan his new lab and include him in his experiment the Addams women had changed her appearance quiet vastly.

Her mouth had been covered in duct tape to stop her from protesting, both hands were currently being held down by Grandmama and Morticia whilst Thing stood stood on her head seemingly innocently with a pair of scissors.

She gave a muffled moan and kicked Declan lightly on his shin, shuffling her hips in the seat she was on to dislodge him from her lap. Get your wits together and get me out of here. She could only think even if she knew he couldn't hear. Her frustration caused one of the drapes to catch fire but this only served to please Morticia more and she smiled. "How lovely dear, but we prefer it more cold and damp." The fire seemed to die out after meeting with the dreary and condensed walls.

They had changed her into an old black Victorian ruffled gown, one of Morticia's very own designs apparently. Oriana was pale enough naturally yet somehow Morticia had made her look positively dead. Wednesday returned from the gardens, her book still in hand and nodded approvingly at the girls new look. "Thing has the right idea. Cut off her nec-I mean, her hair and we can change the color. She will look more suitable for the ball then. Don't you think Declan?"

"Utterly macabre ." Grandmama agreed, as Thing dropped the knife and went scrambling away to find the hair dye. Sometimes Fester had too many white hairs for their liking.

"Black is such a happy color." Morticia agreed with a light sigh already thinking once the change happened the girl would look even more delightful.

I'm not going to the ball! Oriana could only think with another twitch and struggle yet the Addams women were exceedingly strong. I can't apprentice with them Declan! Especially since you didn't even bother asking me in the first place!

Declan's brain was still scrambled, that was a pretty wild explosion...but what he saw next was the change in what the women were wearing...did Oriana say something she shouldn't have? She must have, though on the plus side it appeared Fester didn't hear her as they'd been in his lab. Still Fester hung upside down still laughing like a loon. No further bones or ribs were cracked...though the one previously cracked felt broken. His hair looked liked the famous Stan Laurel "fright wig" due to the explosion, the only thing that wasn't torn up were his shoes, his pants and shirt had various rips and tears in them, and the blood could be seen, thankfully no blood had touched the mark on his arm. Fester and Gomez had noted this.

"Damn! I missed that mark didn't I?"

He had at that point thought that Fester had did this on accident, but as the ringing in his ears stopped and his head was spinning, he thought Oriana had kicked him off of her and he'd hit the floor again...trying to pull himself up his legs felt like rubber, but he could hear the sound of trains...why trains? Oh...Gomez was now playing with his trains while the women were at Oriana, however he did hear Gomez tell him something.

"Declan dear boy, if you don't have an invitation to the Halloween Ball from your father, then we'll be happy to take you two with us as our guests, since Wednesday and Pugsley are not of age to go, though they can be tried as an adult!"

Declan's vision was blurring as if he was going to pass out, he finally able was to get to his feet though uneasily standing as Gomez continued to play with his trains, Declan could hear them as if they were on a collision course much to Gomez's delight, the man wearing a card player's visor, the long sleeved shirt with obvious suspenders, he still had his black pants on, but he now had a cigar. The train sounded like ti was barreling to the vines holding Fester...

Regardless, it was time to show off some other magic, maybe this was what the Addams' wanted all along, or maybe it wasn't, clearly getting their knife back from the Ripper was something they wanted and Declan wasn't going to tell them no. Until today he had no intention of even attending the Halloween Ball, his father sure as hell didn't want him there, date or no. The knowledge of the Ripper attending was something of interest, even more so now knowing Oriana was on that list. From what Declan knew the Ripper only struck random girls of the night, ones of loose virtue...whores.

Declan stood up and chanted.

"s an Ear-Dheas!"

With that, a bright blinding light stuck the room, hard for anyone to see anything.

"Dirty pool old man! I love it!"

"We shall never speak of this again." The voice was clearly traumatized and agitated. After Declans blast of light there had been some questionable situations getting out in the dark but now they were in the relative safety of a taxi heading back to the Arcana Cabana. Oriana adjusted her clothes barely restraining her frustration, yanking the ruffled black dress into place and blowing out a tired sigh.

She wanted to hit Declan for offering her up to the Addams like a piece of meat but he was already rather injured and battered looking from Festers dramatic blast so she settled for giving him evils. "How dare you sign me up to be their apprentice? If you didn't want to teach me you should have just said instead of puling me along for such a ride." She gave up messing with the now torn dress that Morticia had forced her into and leaned against the window staring out at the rain now belting it down. "Or at least discussed it with me first. It's like getting someone to sign a contract and using invisible ink."

She really didn't like this type of deception. As usual any thoughts or behaviors that reminded her of Lancelot would make her nervous. Beyond nervous it made her want to run in a different direction entirely. The only thing stopping her was the progress she had made with Declan so far, he'd gotten her to control her emotions and the strength of her power when attacking. Who knew what else she could accomplish or do if she carried on working alongside him. Knowing her roots it was likely she could do a variety of different things that her Mother had always tried to trigger through. Her belief was that if her daughter was put into insanely difficult situations that the 'powers' would emerge. So far, that theory hadn't worked. Oriana didn't believe in it either but she did think Declan could help her ground it all out over time...but all this thinking would become moot if he kept trying to pass her off to others as an apprentice.

"Their apprentice? No that's not something that they do...they are more like...well not sure how to describe them other than creepy and cooky. There's two things you need to know, one when I told you there was no going back once you stepped in that circle...well you were chosen as my apprentice. Normal humans cannot touch me without getting burned...you have been the first non-family member that has accomplished that."

It was hard to explain his lineage aside from Fergus, Merlin had always been cryptic about that but his uncle had reasons, good or bad. Some of the cuts in Fester's explosion, were beginning to bleed again and Declan was making a massive effort to staunch the blood away from his mark, still that wasn't the worst explosion he'd been in.

"Agreed, we'll never speak of this again. Though I doubt that will be the last we see of the Addams', in fact I expect them to insist on being their guests for the Halloween ball, you know my father won't want any part of me being there."

He laid his head back on the seat and grunted in pain, before taking a breath, that Tinkerbell thing still was bearing on him, he was trying to be more open with Oriana but that whole incident made him more closed off and distant, there were glimpses of the sheer pain he was in emotionally, but he wasn't talking about it.

"You know I had a visit from Hercules...it turns out someone, oh who am I kidding, it was Horvath, woke up the hydra and the gorgon sisters...I expect the mayor, Snow White will be summoning us to her offices. Just hope she doesn't send her peons. Oh and be careful when you're going home in the evenings, if what Gomez said is true about the Ripper....well...let's just say I don't want to see you as one of his victims...not that I believe he would be able to of course."

Declan ripped off his left sleeve and wrapped the mark so he did not get his blood on it. He hated that shirt anyways...besides Winston probably was getting his winter apparel out and for some reason always replaced his clothes....he found it best to stop asking questions about that bulldog...it was just safer not to.

"I'm ordering from Phil's...did you want anything?"

"Oh just order double of whatever you want..." Oriana was never picky about food, she'd eat most things. Plus her mind was piecing together some of the things he'd mentioned. So she'd misunderstood, she was his apprentice but why was he only just mentioning it? Was the level of secrecy truly necessary?

It seemed there was no point protesting the attendance they'd have to make at the Halloween ball, the very idea made her grumpy but since it sounded more of an investigation she'd put up with it and arguing with him right now felt in poor taste. She could see he was in pain.

Gomez said that the Ripper was interested in me? From the news articles it seemed that the serial killer was only interested in prostitutes but maybe that incident with Lancelot and a combination of working for the Mad Hatter meant that she was on his list by default.

Oriana peered at Declan with a sideways look, he was covering up his mark even though that wasn't his main injury. Ideally he could do with a hot shower, clean bandages and a lot of food intake from Phil's. The car had stopped so she hopped out after giving their driver some cash, running around to the other side and opening the door for Declan. She held her hand out and wondered why she could touch him. Perhaps she couldn't be burned because of her affinity with fire? "We should get you inside before Merida blames me." Or was it because of her father...not that she could tell Declan that. That was something she would take to the grave if she could.

To think she'd missed that meeting with Hercules, she'd read a lot about him when she was younger and had nothing much else to do. As most teen girls of course she had a typical crush but one that you would have for any celebrity. Perhaps it was best she hadn't met him. No doubt she would have only embarrassed herself. The Hydra was a worrisome thing indeed and she hoped Declan didn't think she was someone to rely on to go head to head with it. She remembered her Mother telling her about the Gorgon sisters as if they were to be admired but she didn't think monstrous demons with slithering serpents as hair and eyes that could turn men into stones was something to be proud of. Then again, Dame Gothel had strange taste.

"Instead of waiting for Mayor White to call on you, why not just go to her and ask how she plans to deal with the situation?" She asked, perhaps naively. "Maybe you won't have to get involved at all."

Gosh there was so much to think about, the damned Halloween Ball, the Ripper, keeping her parents a secret from Declan, the Hydra, Horvath and now the Gorgon Sisters too.

What had she signed up to?

Declan wasn't about to make an in person visit to Phil's besides they advertised about delivery...so that's what was going to happen here. Playing it safe he placed the order for the Gyro platter for three, that included salads, fries, and baklava. He was never into the appetizers but figured at minimum they could be eaten for tea. For now he was waiting on Mayor White and her call, he should have told her not to send her minions but that wasn't going to sit well with her...oh well.

For now he allowed Oriana to help him get out of the cab and into the Arcana Cabana, though he did receive a text about the charity event hosted by Statler and Waldorf, and rolled his eyes. The Addams' were more than a handful and this going into a charity event was going to be hard to keep a lower profile, more so cause some of the people involved knew what he could do and who he was...by now in certain communities Oriana was now going to be tabloid fodder as well.

"It's not that simple...things with Mayor White are complicated....you've probably heard about how she behaves at the balls that are held. She's very judgmental and looks down on people....kind of like a princess if you will, she's only interested in what benefits her and her voters. Being seen with me amid purported scandal about my family...oh hell my father...makes her want to keep her distance unless she has no other choice."

Merida in the mean time just rolled her eyes at the sight of Declan, and tried not to laugh.

"Let me guess, Fester got you huh Dec?"

"And then some..."

"Alright seein' as ye need it, ye should probably 'ave a seat."

"Aye."

Declan's eyes when wide again as he'd noticed Oriana was still able to avoid having harm come to her touching him, where as Merida made kind of a gesture to Oriana as if to say 'way to go'. Merida had known all about the Tinkerbell/Wendy thing as her older brother had a hard time hiding much from her. But she still felt for him in a way.

As Declan sat down he flipped through some mail only to find yet another card from Elsa and Ana, but a strange one with no address or no magic affiliated with it...the letter was simply addressed to 'The Sorcerer and his pretty little apprentice' accompanied with a small box...the writing was in red letters:

Mr. Emrys,
Hope you and your pretty little apprentice enjoy my little gift, you know it's coming time for some trick or treats. In this case I sent you a treat! My knife is nice and sharp can't wait to get back to work again. Tell the pretty little apprentice that I look forward to introducing her to the knife!
Yours Truly,
Jack the Ripper

When Declan opened the box...there is was, a dark chunk of organic material...a human kidney...the sorcerer's eyes grew dark...he didn't take kindly to threats...

Oriana had dropped his hand as soon as he was settled and looked a little confused at Merida's happy expression. Maybe she was just happy that Declan was home in one piece if she knew what the likes of Fester Addams could do. Oriana shrugged at her, oblivious as always. These siblings weren't easy to understand.

Personally she was itching to get out of the black gown she was lumbered with but the gift box and Declans expression quickly changed her track of thought. The smell of the human kidney had her wrinkling her nose and her stomach did queasy somersaults putting her off the idea of eating later on with Declan and Merida later. "Is...is that a kidney?!" She took the letter out of his hand to read it herself and nearly crumpled it in her fist.

"What?!" Why was the ripper targeting her like this? That one incident with Lancelot was biting her in the ass constantly. She regretted the day she had even heard of his name never mind meeting him. If Declan ever questioned her she wasn't sure how she would actually respond and explain her history with that man. "Do you...think he really will try to meet me?" She had to step away from the box, lest she be sick from the smell.

"We could use me as bait...or is that too predictable? Unless, if it's too predictable he won't think we would do it so essentially we should?" She was angry. And anger made her want to see this creep behind bars. Not only had he issued her a threat but god knows where this kidney had come from, just because they were prostitutes didn't mean these women deserved to die and especially not in the manner he executed them with. To think...."Oh...we need to get rid of it. This stinks of a setup. That's evidence...and he's sent it to us." Oriana also didn't like the fact he wasn't using her name in the letter, it was as if she was an object and not a person to Jack the Ripper.

Back