Blinded Rejection

Lucy turned her attention away from Harley to attend to her patient, but he beat her to it, helping to turn her toward the bowl, and rubbing small circles on her back. "You're okay," he promised.

"I really think it's best if you leave," Lucy insisted, tone firm. Harley may have not done anything to hurt Ayame, but it was clear his presence was harder on her than Lucy's. She needed some time before dealing with him.

He passed the wastebin to Lucy. "Okay," he agreed, hesitant. "Just. Let me know if you need anything?"

"Will do. Now, go." She gave Harley a gentle shove. "I'll make sure she's alright."

Ayame could feel the tears in the corners of her eyes as she shook and lurched. It wasn't his presence that made her lurch, but she was grateful when he left the room. Once her stomach had calmed she lifted herself so she could lay back on the pillows. She was still shaking though a lot less violently than she had while Harley was present. Ayame stayed silent for a moment after willing herself to calm down, "I-i'm so-sorry, I-i didn't mean to- I me-mean you've h-helped me a-and I've b-been so ungrateful." Ayame grimaced her face scrunching from the expression. Her words were something she truly felt, reflecting back on her days any type of generosity. Scraps of food given to her, a lighter beating one was meant to be thankful for. Here she felt as though she had disrespected them by causing their alpha to leave and being taken care of, surely they had better things to do.

Even though Ayame couldn't see it, Lucy shook her head. "No one would say you're being ungrateful. You're healing. That's going to come with some... moments like this," she gave the bowl that the poor girl had thrown up in a light tap. "Nothing to apologize for. It's clear you've been through something incredibly traumatic."

She busied herself with cleaning up and getting a cool washcloth for Ayame's head and neck. "I'll let you in on a little secret," she lowered her voice, smiling just a touch, "there's absolutely nothing wrong with needing to be taken care of. We'll get you fixed up; don't you worry about that. And don't you worry about Harley, there, he's just worried about you is all. Doesn't like to see people hurting." And it was clear there was a lot of hurt in Ayame. "Now, drink some of this. It will help your stomach and help you sleep which will be good for healing, both the mind and body."

Ayame's expression relaxed, the most she could muster was a small nod. She didn't agree with the woman's words, but she surely wouldn't argue it. Somehow though, the woman's words comforted her. Ayame took the cup the woman handed her and drank it in small sips. At some point she fell asleep, her dreams weren't plagued with nightmares as usual.

~

A week had passed since she had been found on the lakeside. Her bruise had cleared up enough for her 'sight' to return. The older woman's Aura was a warm yellow color, it was...comforting. Her side had felt better, with Lucy by her side to help her she was sure today she could get up a bit and move around. Being confined to the bed was not something she really enjoyed. Ayame still hadn't been able to face Harley, though as a few days passed she could muster a polite hello. As of late though she hadn't been feeling well. A little more fatigued than usual, and rather than lurching over and vomiting it was more of a dry heave as she woke up.

When she woke up that morning she sat up, deciding to wait for Lucy or someone to walk in. It wasn't like she knew where she was going but she was excited to be allowed to go outside.

Over the past week, Harley would come in to check on the patient, but most of his updates came via Lucy. He never spent too much time, acutely aware of her discomfort at her presence. Usually, he brought breakfast and sat eating his food with the newspaper until he'd finished, whether or not Ayame ate while he was present well...

Lucy frowned upon this practice, but Harley hoped it would get her used to him being around, and it allowed him to see for himself that she was healing. He always stayed on the opposite side of the room, quietly eating, and never forcing her to engage in conversation. When Harley had finished eating, the alpha would quietly leave the room, asking permission to have breakfast with her the next day. If at any point, Ayame declined his offer, then he would listen and stay away. He couldn't get much from her, but the fact that she offered him hello in the morning was a win in his book.

The past two days, Lucy had encouraged Ayame to walk up and down the hall. "Your muscles will weaken if you lie around all day," she insisted. Offering her arm up for support as she led Ayame around. Her patient was healing well, and for that, Lucy was grateful. After some discussion with Harley and Ayame, she decided that it would be good for the young woman to get out of the house into the sunshine and fresh air. It was surprising what a change of scenery could do for one's recovery.

There was... another concern, but Lucy had opted to keep that observation to herself for the time being. She'd suspected it in the beginning when Ayame first arrived, and she'd examined all of her injuries, but the changes in Ayame's body, too, indicated that there was more than just the average beating. It worried her, and Lucy was uncertain if Ayame was aware of what was happening. If all went well, it was a topic she would bring it up with the young woman this afternoon.

Shuffling into the room, she greeted Ayame with a warm smile. It did not matter that she couldn't see it. Lucy was a firm believer that you could hear a smile in a person's voice. Besides, seeing Ayame sitting up and waiting all on her own was cause for celebration. "You look ready to go," she hummed, coming over to give Ayame a quick examination. She checked the woman's heart rate and temperature, keeping with her habit of letting Ayame know what she was doing and when. "How are you feeling?"

At first, Harley eating breakfast made her feel a bit worried. But after a few days she adjusted, in the beginning, she wouldn't eat until his presence was replaced with Lucy's. For the most part, that was due to her not being able to see his aura. He never spoke, from what it sounded like he would be eating, and the sound of pages turning in what she assumed was a book of sorts. When his eyes healed well enough for her to see his aura a part of her was relieved. His aura was not the threatening colors she was used to, he was a gentle violet.

Seeing his aura made her comfortable enough to give a polite hello but no more. Lucy helping her walk the halls was a good stretch for he legs. She was a little surprised they hadn't locked her away, for some reason she had expected them to be the same as her old pack. The differences were striking but good for her. Harley would ask if she wanted him to eat with her, she felt like she couldn't say no. But, the times she said no he only politely gave an okay and then did not show up the next day.

Hearing Lucy shuffle into the room her gaze focused on the warm yellow color. Hearing the smile in the woman's voice Ayame gave one of her own. "Y-yes. I am very excited." Ayame hadn't been much in her old pack, other than when she ran away. Being able to feel the sun against her skin and smell new smells were something she looked forward too. Ayame would nod as the woman spoke telling her what she was doing and how it was being done, following as best she could without sight.

When Lucy spoke Ayame tilted her ears towards her, "I am okay. I do not vomit, but I feel sick a lot in the morning. A-and I am very tired sometimes." Ayame thought for a moment, "I also feel like I want to eat something different but I'm not sure what it is." She was hesitant but learned the woman would not get mad at her for anything she said or asked for.

Even in the short time that she had been in their care, Ayame had undergone a considerable change. It was obvious there was still fear and worry (a lifetime abuse could not be undone in just a week), but with her eating regular meals and keeping company with, at minimum, Lucy, she was starting to look healthier on the outside even with evidence of fading bruises.

Hopefully, she would let them continue to heal her on the inside.

"When you think of it," Lucy smiled, "I'll get it for you. I think, after your walk, that you and I should have a conversation. I want you to enjoy some fresh air, first, though, but if you would be up for it after?"

Ayame couldn't help but tense slightly a conversation? Had she done something wrong? Were they going to make her leave now that she was doing better? She clenched the blanket slightly but nodded a bit, "Y-yes, I-I would." She was overthinking things and she knew. Ayame couldn't help but expect the worst, even if it was ridiculous. This woman had fed her, helped bathed her, and healed her. There wasn't much more convincing she needed, but fear was trained into her nonetheless. "W-will there be ot-others outside?" Ayame had overlooked the fact that this was still a pack, being seen by other people. She was more than nervous. People terrified her, being stared at and hit, ridiculed. She couldn't help the fear that had taken over her tone.

It wasn't hard to read the tension on the other woman's face, but there was nothing the healer could do to offer Ayame any peace of mind about the conversation. It wasn't going to be easy, regardless, even if it wasn't what Ayame suspected. Any reassurance she offered might tip her off, and Lucy wanted to get her outside a bit before breaking the news.

Lucy slid her hand into Ayame's, giving it a slight squeeze. "There might be a couple." However, Harley had warned everyone that their guest would be wandering around and to give her some space. They didn't want to risk startling her too much. "But everyone is very kind, and they'll leave us be. I'll be with you the whole time. Promise."

Ayame had jumped a bit when Lucy slid her hand over hers, the tense feeling had caused her to become startled. Hearing there would be a couple of people made her less nervous than before, but the anxiety that she might run into someone was still there. "A-alright..We s-should be going then?" Ayame slipped her hand from Lucy's and placed it back on the blanket. She was eager to feel the sun against her face, and now that she could 'see' it would be easier for her to move around. Ayame hadn't mentioned to Lucy but she was still worried, her wolf still had yet to speak to her since the incident on her birthday. Of course, Ayame knew it would take time but it became lonely when Lucy wasn't around. "D-do I need to change?" Ayame had been assisted in bathing and changing clothes, which was the most she had gotten of what she assumed was different clothing. Lucy had been kind enough to help her, but Ayame was still wary of all the kindness she was receiving.

Back