Blinded Rejection

The healer's touch was gentle, and she warned Ayame before doing anything. "I'm going to take your hand now," she'd say and then waited for approval from Ayame before doing so. "Going to put my hand on your back to get you up, there you are." Once Ayame was situated, she glanced at the bowl and beamed. "Good you ate all your soup; having an appetite is a good sign. I'm just going to sit here on the edge of your bed, my knees don't last the way they used to."

Again, she waited for Ayame's permission before sitting. "Goodness, did Harley not tell you anything?" She shook her head. "Silly boy. I'm Lucy, the healer of the Star Hound Pack. You're in our Alpha's house. Said he found you in the woods and carried you back here." She made a tsking sound. "Can't imagine what you endured to end up in the state you were in when you arrived, but Harley is always doing that, bringing in the abandoned and lost. My pack abandoned me, you know, had a bit of trouble with my knees when I got a bit older, and they left me behind. Harley took me in..." She sighed at the memory, turning her attention back to the matter at hand. "Of course, you're free to leave anytime, but I must insist you stay long enough to heal completely."

Ayame welcomed the gentle touch, though the whole process made her nervous and was unfamiliar. Each time the woman some Ayame only nodded and gave the occasional okay. Ayame wanted to flush when the woman mentioned the bowl of food, Ayame had been far too hungry. More than she was used to but at least the woman hadn't scolded her for eating. Ayame moved her legs slightly hoping to get them out of the older woman way as she sat. This was the most Ayame had been around another person that didn't want to harm her. And the woman sounded gentle and kind, it warmed her broken heart.

When the woman asked her a question Ayame looked to where she had heard the woman's voice, of course, her gaze would be a bit off but nothing that she could tell. "H-Harley?" Ayame thought back to the voice that was in the room as she woke up. Maybe that's who she was talking about. Ayame turned her attention back to the woman's voice as she spoke. When the woman sighed and finished speaking Ayame gripped the sheets in her lap lightly. "S-So I-I don't have to go-go back? Y-you really won't r-return me? I-I'm actually-" Tear's bunched in her eyes and her voice cracked, "actually free?" Ayame hung her head and tears spilled from her eyes, was she really saved? Had they really saved her? Was she really welcome here? Questions ran through her head as she silently cried, her body shook as she did and her hand clenched tightly on the sheets.

Lucy blinked as Ayame burst into tears. What an ordeal the poor thing must have been through. "Yes," she soothed. "You can leave anytime you like, or you can stay, but we're not going to make you go anywhere." She smoothed down the blankets and sat up. "I'm going to go get you some more soup; I can't believe how skinny you are." Honestly, the poor thing was practically malnourished. Standing, she grabbed the bowl and headed for the door, pausing there. "What's your name?"

Ayame calmed down crying as the woman spoke, tears every so often fell but she was trying to compose her breathing a bit hard. The crying had made her side ache terribly and her chest felt heavy. Ayame took her hand and wiped her eye nodding, "T-thank you." She sniffled and wiped the remaining tears from her eyes, she was feeling a bit better. And the rock of fear on her chest lifted ever so slightly. "M-my name is A-Ayame Lupita Ruelle m'ma'am."

She smiled, her voice gentle. "A pleasure to meet you, Ayame." Then she was gone.

About ten minutes later she returned. Setting a tray down on the bedside table, she announced that she would be sitting on the edge of the bed beside Ayame again. She sat, checking on the dressings of her wounds, telling Ayame what she was doing as she went. When she was done, she pressed two pills into the other wolf's hand. "Some pain medication," she offered, handing her a glass. Taking the hand with her pills, she led it to the bowl. "And here's your soup, if you're feeling hungry."

Ayame listened as the woman left and thought about what this meant. She was free to leave but where would she go, she had n family to welcome her hem. And she surely couldn't go back to her old pack. She didn't even know where she was. Not to mention she was scared beyond reason, of course, the older woman helped ease her fears but fear was practically a part of her life now. Ayame sighed and wished she had a thread of something to hang on to. She felt terrible, in pain, and the voices of the people that hurt her stood in the back of her mind. When she heard the door open it pulled her from her thoughts.

Ayame allowed the woman to sit and patiently sat as the woman checked her, she was still tense and worried if she moved they might lock her away. Once the woman had finished she placed her hands on her side and reached her hand out until her fingertips hit the glass with a clink. Ayame took the glass, she had to lower it to the bed, her hand was shaky and she was afraid she might spill it. "Wh-why did he help me? I-i mean w-what reason?" She relaxed her hand and touched the bowl nodding before raising the pills to her lips. They were bitter and made her throat dry. She rose the water to her lips and swallowed the pills with a groan, they were gross. "I-I am grateful f-for your help. B-but, I-i just don't understand."

Even though Ayame couldn't see her, Lucy shrugged a shoulder. "That's just the kind of person Harley is." Tapping a finger on her thigh, she tried to think of a way to explain. "Harley is a firm believer in karmic forces. What goes around comes around; the things that you put out into the world come back to you. If you do bad things, bad things will come back around to bite you in the ass."

She sighed a little. "But it goes deeper than that, he's just... kind. His parents raised him to be kind. They were kind and gentle themselves, very giving people. He emulates them a lot. You were in trouble, you needed help and Harley was there. For him, that's as good enough a reason as any."

Ayame scrunched her face, the after taste of the pills hit her tastebuds. Could someone just be kind, with no ulterior motives? She wasn't sure, she had never met someone like that before. Well other than the older lady in front of her. She was silent for a long while before deciding to speak. "T-thank you L-lucy." Ayame's hand reached her hand towards her side, it ached still. She felt like this might be a dream, "H-how do I repay you all? I-is there nothing you want from me?" Ayame mumbled the last few words feeling like she already knew the answer. "I feel as though this might all be a dream..." Her words trailed off and she moved her hands to reach for the lady. "C-can you tell h-him thank you f-for me?"

Lucy gave the other hand a little pat. "Nothing needed from you, although I do ask that you at least consider staying here until you're rested and healed up properly." She could see that being around people made the other woman uncomfortable and it would not surprise Lucy if she opted to leave, but it would weigh on her mind if Ayame decided to leave while she was still injured. "You don't have to, of course, but I think it would do you some good." She bit her lip and considered sending Harley back in, but it was obvious that she was even more frightened of men than she was of women. Maybe in time. "I'll let him know, though he's probably already heard you. He's been pacing outside the door to learn of your progress. Impatient, man." Again, she said it fondly.

Ayame thought about her options, there was no guarantee that her pack wouldn't find her if she left. She'd hope that they'd just choose to forget about her entirely. "I-I will consider it.." Ayame trailed off thinking more on her decision. When the man said he was outside pacing Ayame could only wonder why, remembering that Lucy had said he was a nice person she considered that it was probably due to that. "M-ms. Lucy...I'm sorry to bother you more, d-do you h-have medicine f-for stomach pain?" Ayame winced as a rumbling in her stomach made her feel like lurching over.

Chester, a brown-haired grey-eyed man walked up to Harley smiling, "You know pacing won't make it go by any faster Harley. You might as well sit down and relax until Lucy comes out."

Lucy nodded, giving Ayame another pat on the hand. "Certainly, child. Give me just a moment." She gave her hand a gentle squeeze and exited the room, returning just a few minutes later with the needed medicine. "Here you are, dear." She slid it into Ayame's hands, wrapping her fingers around the little medicine cup.

Harley frowned at Chester, arms crossed over his chest. "That girl was badly hurt." It wasn't right. "I just want to know she's okay."

"Thank you." Ayame felt odd, she was thankful for their help but it didn't replace the ache in her bones or the strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. She sighed as she heard the woman's steps retreat. In her state, Ayame knew she had very limited options if she decided to leave. Staying was the best option, and though the people didn't seem bad that didn't mean she could trust them. When the older woman returned she gave a small smile, "Thank you again..." Her words trailed off as she rubbed her eyes, she was exhausted, bringing the cup to her lips she drank it in long go. Lowering the cup she frowned. "I-I don't feel w-well." It was an understatement, to say the least since she had been banged up bad, but the rumbling in her stomach made her lurch and dry heave coughing.

Chester sighed and patted his arm, "I know, we all do. You carried her here and she was bloody and looked broken. But, it's obvious she has been through a lot. So just let Lucy handle it for now. C'mon maybe some tea will cheer you up." Chester gave his friend a half-hearted smile and squeezed his shoulder as reassurance.

Lucy was prepared with a bedpan, as soon as Ayame rolled, she thrust it under and ran a soothing hand down her back before pulling her hair over her shoulder. "No need to thank me." It was common decency to care for your fellow wolf. Besides, Lucy had been like her once. "I'm surprised that didn't happen sooner," she admitted.

When Ayame was through emptying the contents of her stomach, Lucy insisted that she sip on some water. "We'll get you some mint tea to help with the nausea," she decided. Natural remedies were preferrable.

Frowning a little, Harley threw one last glance at the door. "Alright," he allowed. There wasn't a lot that he could do here, and he did have a pack to look after.

Ayame was grateful for the woman comforting hand o her back, once her stomach had calmed and she sat up she reached out for the cup of water and took a hesitant sip. "I-I'm sorry." Ayame apologized, though she wasn't completely sure what for. When the woman suggested a mint tea Ayame nodded, "O-okay..." Her words trailed off as she thought, this woman was too kind. Ayame didn't deserve her help, she was blind and dirty. There was no reason they shouldn't have just left her there to die.

Chester smiled happy that Harley agreed, "You can always ask Lucy once she leaves the room. Plus I'm sure she's alright now. They must be chatting up a storm if Lucy is still in there." He walked into the kitchen and opened the cabinet grabbing teas bags and two cups. Using the teapot of hot water he poured it in the cups and placed the tea bags in there before handing it to Harley. " Here, Relax. You worry too much." Chester took a sip from his cup and glanced at Harley. "So she's blind? Do you think that's why she was left in the woods?"

"Nothing to apologize for," Lucy shook her head. It was a hard guess to figure out what this girl had been through, but if she felt the need to apologize for being sick... Well, poor thing was at least in a better place for the time being. "Is there anyone we should call? Family, maybe?" It was possible she'd been taken from her pack and would want to get back to them.

Harley snorted. People were always telling him he worried too much, but he wasn't quite sure how to fix it. He took his cup of tea and leaned against the counter. "Maybe. A lot of packs are too concerned with their strength to pay attention to the sick and injured." They were often seen as weaker, so it was no surprise but it was a disgusting practice. "She certainly seemed terrified of me while I was in there." It was why he let Lucy be in there and hadn't followed her in. That, and Lucy had insisted.

When the woman mentioned someone she should call she tensed, her hands gripped the sheet as she said, family. "N-no m-ma'am, p-please d-don't call anyone."Ayame's voice was strained and the fear could be heard clearly. She bit her lip as the voices of her brothers played in the darkness that was her sight. Ayame shook slightly, the fear trained into her like a dog trained with a shock collar. Did they know her family? Were they going to drag her back home? What if this was all some trick, she couldn't see anyone could have faked a voice. Her breathing came off in short puff, she was beginning to have an anxiety attack from the thoughts swarming in her head.

Chester shrugged, "Maybe something bad happened? Don't take it to heart, I'm sure she'll warm up to ya'." Chester gave him a reassuring smile and finished his tea placing his cup in the sink. "If you're really that worried why not go see if Lucy needs any help. It'll give you an excuse to check up on her. If you don't want to do that just have Lucy ask her what happened. Lucy's a sweet lady, I'm sure she'll be able to get the truth."

Lucy gave her a pat on the shoulder, rubbing a soothing circle. "That's okay. We don't have to call anyone; I just wanted to make sure there was no one you wanted to reach out to." If it wasn't clear before, it was now. Ayame hadn't escaped strangers; the people who hurt her were the ones who were supposed to take care of her. "Shhh," Lucy soothed. "I'm not going to call anyone. Like I said, you're welcome to stay as long as you like."

"I'm not offended," Harley promised. Angry more like, but not at her. Just mad that someone would treat her poorly enough because she couldn't see. He was not a fan of packs like that. Pursing his lips, Harley nodded and drained his tea before heading over to do just that. He gave a light tap on the door and stuck his head in. "Everything okay in here?"

Ayame's breathing began to calm with the older woman light hands rubbing her shoulder. Ayame relaxed her body but her hands were still clenching the sheets. When Lucy reassured her that she could stay Ayame gave a hesitant nod. "Y-yes." Was the only word she could manage out in a small shaky voice.

Chester watched his Alpha and friend walk off towards the room and leaned his hands against the sink. Smiling, he decided to stay in the kitchen and wait.

Ayame's body tensed again, she was still shaken up from the thought of her old pack. She tried her hardest not to shake, but she didn't move from the bed or make any sign of responding to him.

Lucy glanced up at Harley's entrance and gave a slight shake of her head. He did not need to be in here right now. "She needs some more rest," she insisted.

"Is there anything I can do?" He offered, tone gentle. Straightening up, he shoved his hands in his pockets. "Do either of you need anything?" He was supposed to be an alpha; that meant taking care of the people under his care. While he trusted Lucy, he felt like he ought to do more than just leave everything in her hands.

Ayame closed her eyes and lowered her head hoping this might make her shrink just a little more. Alpha. She could smell it, coming off him in waves. A part of her felt guilty, he had saved her and allowed her into his home. All she had done was cower in fear whenever he entered the room. Ayame took a breath and gave her head a small shake in response, her hands wouldn't relax their grip on the sheets.

It was a Pavlov type of fear, trained into her. The Alpha was a person with great power, one she couldn't defy. His gentle tone was not something she was used to. None of this was, Opening her eyes she felt a wave of sickness wash over her again in the darkness. "I-I don't feel-" Ayame lurched again. Feeling tears spring to her eyes she muttered apologies between her breaths.

Back